Surprise: Health care and insurance costs still on the up and up

posted at 7:21 pm on September 25, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Oh, the costly and complex revelations of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act — will they never cease?

Part of then-candidate Obama’s argumentation for a plan for instituting universal health care was that such a plan would help to lower the costs and premiums for both individuals and businesses — and he estimated that we’d be able to see these widespread benefits by the end of his first term in office.

But ABC is reporting on two new independent studies suggesting that both health insurance premiums and health care spending are rising at an accelerated pace during Obama’s tenure. Oh joy, oh rapture:

Spending on health care rose 4.6 percent in 2011 — up $4,500 per person, on average — according to the nonpartisan Health Care Cost Institute. That’s up from a 3.8 growth rate in 2010.

Health insurance premiums for individuals and families also climbed year-over-year, up 3 percent ($186) on average for an individual and 4 percent ($672) on average for a family, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation.

During Obama’s term, between 2009 to 2012, premiums have climbed $2,370 for the average family with an employer-provided plan – a rate faster than the during the previous four years under President George W. Bush, according to Kaiser. …

During the 2008 campaign and health care reform debate in 2009, President Obama said repeatedly that his plan would bend the cost curve downward, ultimately saving the average family $2,500 per year.

At a rally in Virginia in June 2008, Obama said: “In an Obama administration, we’ll lower premiums by up to $2,500 for a typical family per year.” …

“We won’t do all this twenty years from now, or ten years from now,” he said. “We’ll do it by the end of my first term as President of the United States.”

Administration officials have insisted that the goal has always been to slowly decelerate the pace at which health care costs are rising, and that more savings will manifest themselves in the long-term as ObamaCare is fully implemented; but paired with all of ObamaCare’s other little surprises (doctor shortages, regulatory and bureaucratic costs, innovation-killing taxes), why am I not comforted?

Comments

Allll part of Obama’s plan to ruin the USA. One lie at a time, one trillion of debt at a time, overburden us, deprive and deplete…

Lourdes on September 25, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Unexpected….

O_o

Electrongod on September 25, 2012 at 7:23 PM

OPawn tries to take Bishop.

Lourdes on September 25, 2012 at 7:24 PM

REPEAL!

thatsafactjack on September 25, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Not unless and until Obamacare is repealed.

SWalker on September 25, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Unexpectedly.

talkingpoints on September 25, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Thank you again to Erika Johnsen for her excellent blog posts. She’s been a great addition here.

bluegill on September 25, 2012 at 7:26 PM

don’t worry preventive care and electronic billing will save us. Or not.

rob verdi on September 25, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Surprise: Health care and insurance costs still on the up and up

Nothing cost more than when it’s supposed to be “free”.

Chip on September 25, 2012 at 7:28 PM

on the up and up

I don’t think that phrase means what you think it means, Erika.

MisterElephant on September 25, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I haven’t seen any bend-age on costs (never expected to though). Had my yearly today and was $87.00 (up considerably from last year), and that doesn’t include the blood tests.

Just got back from the pharmacy about ten minutes ago. $281.00

A nurse was giving me a hard time (get your mind out of the gutter!) on a request and I reminded her that I was the customer and she was the service provider. “I’m self-pay and when I’m paying my hard earned money, I expect service.”

BruthaMan on September 25, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Now I ask you, who could have seen that coming?

Reuters: “Unexpected”

AZfederalist on September 25, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Just pay the fine, and when you get sick, buy the platinum with natural diamonds and huge sapphires plan. With this, you can pretty much get away with millions for little money.

astonerii on September 25, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Um the cost lowering provisions within the law haven’t gone into place yet…..

libfreeordie on September 25, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Too bad this isn’t an election year…

Seven Percent Solution on September 25, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Obamacare will increase the number of uninsured as it will make health insurance even more unaffordable.

bopbottle on September 25, 2012 at 7:33 PM

bluegill on September 25, 2012 at 7:26 PM

…I feel smelly, slimy, scaly. nauseous, putrid slippery, dirty, etc.etc… enough to puke…but I agree with you

KOOLAID2 on September 25, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I don’t care…

Obama is Eye Candy..

Electrongod on September 25, 2012 at 7:33 PM

“I’m self-pay and when I’m paying my hard earned money, I expect service.”

BruthaMan on September 25, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Damn skippy!

astonerii on September 25, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Obamacare was never meant to work.

It was meant to break the private healthcare system. Prices are “necessarily” skyrocketing to usher in single payer.

wildcat72 on September 25, 2012 at 7:33 PM

don’t worry preventive care and electronic billing will save us. Or not.

rob verdi on September 25, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Given the security record of this administration, this scares the bejabbers out of me.

Sasha List on September 25, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Um the cost lowering provisions within the law haven’t gone into place yet…..

libfreeordie on September 25, 2012 at 7:32 PM

You’re funny. Pathetically naive, but funny.

AZfederalist on September 25, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Um the cost lowering provisions within the law haven’t gone into place yet…..

(Copy + Save As + Paste)

Seven Percent Solution on September 25, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Um the cost lowering provisions within the law haven’t gone into place yet…..

No Shitte..

The old are still alive..

Electrongod on September 25, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Obama is Eye Candy..

Electrongod on September 25, 2012 at 7:33 PM

That is one eye in dire need of a sharp stick…

SWalker on September 25, 2012 at 7:41 PM

You’re funny. Pathetically naive, but funny.

AZfederalist on September 25, 2012 at 7:35 PM

He is not naive, he is brainwashed, being like Winnie the Pooh, which is to say, a bear of very little brains, it didn’t take much washing, and what little brain their was, was thrown out with the wash water…

SWalker on September 25, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I work in the industry. Nobody knows what’s going to happen. It’s pretty chaotic right now.

WitchDoctor on September 25, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Um the cost lowering provisions within the law haven’t gone into place yet…..

Really?
Which ones are those??

Mimzey on September 25, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Um the cost lowering provisions within the law haven’t gone into place yet…..

libfreeordie on September 25, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Um there are no cost lowering provisions. Did you not read what ones are coming in 2014, when the law fully goes into effect?

Enjoy serfdom.

lorien1973 on September 25, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Um the cost lowering provisions within the law haven’t gone into place yet…..

libfreeordie on September 25, 2012 at 7:32 PM

LOL. Which one, libbie? The mythical “savings” we were going to see once everyone’s medical records were electronic? Studies are already showing that electronic records are causing medical costs to go up, not down, as electronic records give providers more opportunity to commit fraud.

Or how about the even more mythical “savings” we were supposed to get from forcing more preventive care? There have been several studies showing that providing more preventive care does not lower, and in many instances actually raises, health care costs in a population.

And of course, we still get to look forward to the fact that the really big-ticket items in Obamacare — things like guaranteed issue, no lifetime spending caps, etc., — dont’ go into effect until 2014. Every industry analyst predicts that health insurance premiums will see a big jump up in 2014, to account for all those added costs.

But don’t worry if you’re now spending thousands of dollars more on your health insurance premiums and your medical care. Someday, in some alternate libbie universe, your costs will go down. By something like 3,000%. Obama promises! And you know what Obama’s promises are worth.

AZCoyote on September 25, 2012 at 7:53 PM

MSM: chirp chirp!

RedRedRice on September 25, 2012 at 7:54 PM

my physician is retiring because of obamacare, so he is going to save me tons

tom daschle concerned on September 25, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Wow, I didn’t see this comizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Bishop on September 25, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Yeah, yeah. Always “down the road”.

GarandFan on September 25, 2012 at 7:56 PM

WitchDoctor on September 25, 2012 at 7:48 PM

a lot of clenched clymers?

tom daschle concerned on September 25, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Obama’s October Surprise: Open Enrollment!

RedRedRice on September 25, 2012 at 7:57 PM

my physician is retiring because of obamacare, so he is going to save me tons

tom daschle concerned on September 25, 2012 at 7:55 PM

And me too..

Electrongod on September 25, 2012 at 7:58 PM

SWalker on September 25, 2012 at 7:44 PM

:-) Liked the visual in that one. Young Federalist loved that movie when he was a little guy. Yeah, pretty apt description.

AZfederalist on September 25, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Another broken campaign promise. Only a fool would believe someone if they said they are going to lower your annual health insurance premium by $2,500.

Wigglesworth on September 25, 2012 at 8:00 PM

WitchDoctor on September 25, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Excuse me Doc, but I KNOW what is going to happen. I know because I have studied history. Obamacare is Central Committee Command and Control medicine. It is Socialistic medicine. It is Marxist Economic Theory applied to the Medical Industry.

The Marxist Economic Theory has been tried over 70 times since it was introduced by Karl Marx back in 1880. Every single time and place it has been tired it has financially destroyed the nation that has attempted it.

Medical cost will skyrocket, doctors will flee the medical field, services quality will plummet, service availability will drastically decrease. This is what will happen under Obamacare and you can absolutely count on it happening. Not over night mind you, it will be a slow wasting away process, much like having AIDS without the drug cocktails.

SWalker on September 25, 2012 at 8:04 PM

And let’s not forget the fact that the whole Obamacare obamanation was rammed down our throats because it was absolutely morally imperative that we do something about the millions of uninsured in the United States.

Except now, after the monstrosity has been passed into law and upheld by the SCOTUS (thanks for nothing, Roberts), we find out that it is going to increase our medical costs, increase our taxes, increase our health insurance premiums, decrease our access to medical care, diminish our freedoms, increase our deficits . . . and we’re still going to have 30 million uninsured, says the CBO.

Heckuva job, Barry!

AZCoyote on September 25, 2012 at 8:04 PM

WitchDoctor on September 25, 2012 at 7:48 PM

….well gee willikers!…look who’s here to give you insight!

Um the cost lowering provisions within the law haven’t gone into place yet…..

KOOLAID2 on September 25, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Hi Folks!! See you in QOTD!!

My Dr is doing the electronic thingy with medical records, I hate it. Why does the DHHS need MY damn Medical Records? For what?

Oh right, yeah, as soon as Ocare is implemented, they will see who is worthy of treating…uh huh…and put you on a waiting list!

I won’t last long after that…sigh…

Make hay whilst the sun shines!! :-)

Scrumpy on September 25, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I’ve invested in soylent technology, I’m going to clean up on you deaders.

Bishop on September 25, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Um the cost lowering provisions within the law haven’t gone into place yet…..

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

You funny, libdie!

Seriously, are you over 40?

Seriously, do you really believe this sh!t you spout?

Look deep inside yourself and be honest – Is it because he black, dawg and da black man fin’ly gon’ show whitey how it done?

I realize you probably don’t speak that way, but you can tell me – do you subliminally endorse it as a way of getting back at whitey?

Lanceman on September 25, 2012 at 8:09 PM

OT: I missed you all… :-) Came back early… got some reading to do!!

Scrumpy on September 25, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Um the cost lowering provisions within the law haven’t gone into place yet…..

libfreeordie on September 25, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Give me specific sections of the Bill . . ..

[Crickets]

Thought so!

EdmundBurke247 on September 25, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I’m self employed.

My personal med insurance went up 7 percent beginning Oct. for the next 12 months.

$5,000 deductible per family member.

$856 per month.

Then I hear the local state employee union grousing that they have to pay an additional $10 per month for their increased costs.

This sucks.

Pazman on September 25, 2012 at 8:19 PM

do you subliminally endorse it as a way of getting back at whitey?

Lanceman on September 25, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Subliminally? His Doctoral Dissertation was entitled “How the evil Cracker White Devils persecuted the Noble Africans”

SWalker on September 25, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Hey, someone has to pay for the Democrat Slut Division’s free birth control, STD medication, and of course abortions.

You have to have a little skin in the game.

CorporatePiggy on September 25, 2012 at 8:20 PM

OT: I missed you all… :-) Came back early… got some reading to do!!

Scrumpy on September 25, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Hi Scrumpy… (the entire QOTD Thread Crew says Hi)

SWalker on September 25, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Bumbles and his worshippers don’t have a clue what’s in Obamacare or what an astoundingly complicated, bloated, freedom destroying, expensive nightmare it is. Doesn’t matter. He tells them they’re going to get something for nothing and the rich are going to pay for it and they lap it up. If it ends up being that there are more of them than there are of us, then we are screwed.

natasha333 on September 25, 2012 at 8:20 PM

This is the Bark way.

Identify a problem, in this case healthcare costs.

Dream up the most ridiculous, stupid, impossible, unworkable, and unaffordable solution.

Declare victory and hit the links.

See also: Afghanistan, GM, Stimulus, Green Energy, etc etc.

CorporatePiggy on September 25, 2012 at 8:23 PM

SWalker on September 25, 2012 at 8:19 PM

You all know I like libdie. Personally I don’t care whether he’s black or gay, but it occurs to me that, in an almost Kirstin Powers like manner, he really doesn’t believe half the sh!t he says.

He ain’t stupid and I’m just trying to draw him over to the ‘darkside’.

In other words, he’s salvageable.

Lanceman on September 25, 2012 at 8:26 PM

You have to have a little skin in the game.

CorporatePiggy on September 25, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Heh. Lemme tell you ’bout the time a coupla years ago when I fell asleep on the can and slid forward off of it.

Trust me, I had skin in the game.

Lanceman on September 25, 2012 at 8:27 PM

The “cost lowering provisions?” Libfreeordie has now irrevocably proven that he is an ignoramus of the highest order. I work in employee benefits. I have to price benefits for my company’s employees and try to navigate the quagmire of regulations and rules that are coming out of this hideous bill and not one of them yet — or down the road — NOT ONE, YOU FOOL, will do a damn thing to lower costs, but they will increase premiums, result in lost productivity, reduce the accessibility of care, limit choices and cost billions more than we can afford. So, liveoffofothersordie, if all you know about this crap is what your false god has lied to you about, kindly refrain from repeating those lies as if they were facts. In other words, STFU.

natasha333 on September 25, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Health care enrollment will occur before the election at our company. I’m praying it won’t be painful. If so, perhaps that will sway more votes toward the GOP.

Philly on September 25, 2012 at 8:33 PM

SWalker on September 25, 2012 at 8:19 PM

He ain’t stupid and I’m just trying to draw him over to the ‘darkside’.

In other words, he’s salvageable.

Lanceman on September 25, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Oh dear… Apparently you think I am joking or being facetious. I am only being facetious in that I cannot remember the exact title of his Doctoral Dissertation, however, it most assuredly was a racist screed/diatribe invoking vulgarities to blame Caucasians for all the ill’s of the world.

Make no mistake about that, Lib is a militant gay racist.

SWalker on September 25, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Make no mistake about that, Lib is a militant gay racist.

SWalker on September 25, 2012 at 8:34 PM

So, you mean in jest, I came across the answer?

Imma buy me a lottery ticket tonight.

Lanceman on September 25, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Make no mistake about that, Lib is a militant gay racist.

SWalker on September 25, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Sounds like someone else I know who is famous for the creases in his pants.

CorporatePiggy on September 25, 2012 at 8:41 PM

In other words, he’s salvageable.

Lanceman on September 25, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I dunno. When everything goes to pieces, we’re going to have to kill and eat somebody

trigon on September 25, 2012 at 9:00 PM

libfreeordie on September 25, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Are you calling your Jedi-master a liar. He said by the end of his first term the average Family would save $2500 on Health Insurance cost. Instead it is up by nearly $7000. What part of first term (Jan 09-Jan 13) don’t you understand.

chemman on September 25, 2012 at 9:09 PM

SWalker on September 25, 2012 at 8:04 PM

The next tax to come from congress will be on MD’s that don’t practice medicine until the day they die. That will be how they solve the doctor problem under OTaxacare.

chemman on September 25, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Erika, another idiom mistake. ‘on the up and up’ means a square honest deal, not an ever increasing cost.

rayra on September 25, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I literally cannot stand this much longer. The lies make me want to bang my head against the wall.
My insurance went up by 300 per month so in order to keep it in the same range I now have an 11,000 deductible. IOW, I have no insurance but I sure do pay for it anyway.
Oh, and my gas bill doubled, my grocery bill is a full third bigger and I can’t make ends meet any more but hey, the rich ladies on The View LOVE Obama and since I’m a woman I’m too stupid to care about the past and only care about the future and he’s going to do SO much better next term.
Yeah. Ok, lib free. WhatEVER you say. I’m sure you’re right.

americanmama on September 25, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Sure, we have marxists running the country.
The final blow to all Americans on Obamacare came from turncoat Roberts.
He was our only hope.
Now that we’ve been shafted by the black robes, the future of America has turned dark.
My sister, a nurse, tells me Physicians are angry that Obamacare is not only the law of the land, but hopes to repeal it look bleak. This is going to effect them as well as us, the little people.
& if I see just 1 more commercial from AARP & their cohorts, I’m going to scream!!!!
AARP will make tremendous profit from Obamacare, those dirty rats.
Wake up Seniors! Go ahead, vote for O, & wait until your care is denied by the Patient Advisory Board.
I’m in a foul mood tonight, please forgive.

Belle on September 25, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Our premium at work went up 26%. Our company decided to cover it for us, though. They made sure we knew that percentage, though.

cptacek on September 26, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Um the cost lowering provisions within the law haven’t gone into place yet…..

libfreeordie on September 25, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Post & run as always you worthless little turd.
WTF is the reasoning behind this to refute the reality?
Bcs you have your head stuck up Bammy’s a$$ so far all you smell is his $hit, just like a $hit eating fly.
Only flies like to eat $hit libfreetodie.
Those of us who are mammals of the high food chain order don’t want to eat $hit.
You are seriously a delusional moronic traitor of the first order.
I’m not sure how you even have the ability to breathe.
This post of yours is beyond stupid.

Badger40 on September 26, 2012 at 8:55 AM

cptacek on September 26, 2012 at 2:13 AM

IDK what the % our policy went up, but it’s at about $1200+/month now for our family policy. IDK what the deductible is. I think it’s like $250 or something to that effect.
I basically have a Cadillac policy thru Blue Cross/Blue Shield of ND.
Our school is covering 96% of the family policy.
It is exactly why I have not left this school, even though I hate working there.

Badger40 on September 26, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Give it some time!! Obama will only need 4 or 5 more terms as president to fully transform America into Kenya. If he wins in Nov, watch for the LSM to start talking about repealing the 22nd Amendment.

OccamsRazor on September 26, 2012 at 10:31 AM