Video: Meet the undecided voter the country’s future depends on

posted at 2:41 pm on September 24, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

Chuckle-worthy, from the crew at “Saturday Night Live.” Get to work on your outreach, guys, and answer some of these burning questions.

I don’t want to get too down on undecided voters. In fact, I like them very much and make them homemade cheesecake brownies once a week. They can certainly be a confounding concept to someone with a clear ideology, but I have great sympathy for their attitude. Because I work in politics, I get a lot of people apologizing to me in social situations for not being more engaged in the process than they are. But they’re not avoiding the process because they’re dumb or irresponsible. Many are avoiding it because Washington, D.C. represents a giant, confusing, often dispiriting system they feel would take too long to properly understand and even longer to make an impact on. Meanwhile, they’ve got children to raise and bills to pay, and the cost-benefit analysis of spending several hours a week on politics is not good. I tell them I think they’re mostly right about national politics, and I’d love to make things smaller, simpler, and more accessible, so that more people can be involved while also raising children and paying bills. That was the promise of Obama that worked for undecideds. Building that promise on an ever-growing, more expensive and complex federal government was a lie. Romney’s lead among them in many polls suggests they’ve seen that.

The question remains, are the few, the angry, and the unengaged enough, even if they break for the challenger in large percentages.

SNL also did a send-up of Ann Romney that wasn’t entirely mean-spirited and predictable, so there’s that.

Comments

What about the rest of us?

Baerwulf on September 24, 2012 at 2:44 PM

homemade cheesecake brownies once a week.

What do we get? Nuffin!

lorien1973 on September 24, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Hmmm, you know I’m not sure about this Romney character anymore.

Doughboy on September 24, 2012 at 2:47 PM

If I switch from Conservative to undecided, can I get one of those cheesecake brownies, too?

Liam on September 24, 2012 at 2:47 PM

homemade cheesecake brownies once a week

Mmmm. I’m sorry what were we talking about?

magicbeans on September 24, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Finally! Someone finally figured out that undecided voters are the most, wishy washy, uninformed, and possibly dumbest voters there are.

DFCtomm on September 24, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I met a true undecided voter on Friday, and he certainly wasn’t dumb or politically unaware. He was just unsure which person he’d have to hold his nose for a little less than the other guy, and hasn’t figured that out yet.

And the Ann Romney impersonation didn’t look or sound anything like her (what on earth was with that southern accent?) but I did think it was pretty funny.

vegconservative on September 24, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I get a feeling this thread will be more about homemade cheesecake brownies than undecided voters.

Liam on September 24, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I am anything but undecided. I am a firm, totally commited ABO — anyone but Obama. I will hold my nose and vote for Romney, just like I held my nose and voted for McCain. But between now and 6 November, I will do my damndest to avoid watching. seeing or reading any political ads. I was sick of it a year ago — just not as sick of it as I am right now, and certainly not as sick of it as I will be by 6 November.

The truly nauseating thing, though, is that the 2016 electioneering will kick off just the second a winner is declared in 2012. GACK!!!!!!

catsandbooks on September 24, 2012 at 2:50 PM

This is the same type of clown you see tweeting and texting on their phone while in the left lane of a 4 lane interstate creating a parade.

The only saving grace was that many of them were tied up for days waiting outside the store for their new I-phone.

It also helped out the crowds in the welfare office.

acyl72 on September 24, 2012 at 2:51 PM

And then a provocatively dressed MKH ran up to him, crammed a cheesecake brownie into his mouth and whispered into his ear “Vote Romney” and he did.

lorien1973 on September 24, 2012 at 2:52 PM

What makes great comedy is how close it is to the truth!

illinoisdrummerboy on September 24, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I’ll predict right now that the undecideds will lean toward Romney. If they haven’t decided to go to Obama at this point, they won’t. Plus the media/democrat party has thrown everything they have at Romney, the Teflon, goody-two-shoes guy who just pisses them off. The left has to hate the fact he doesn’t have the wild, dope-smoking, womanizing, drunk-driving college years (which are a plus if you’re a lefty) they can use against him.

perroviejo on September 24, 2012 at 2:53 PM

MK, as an undecided voter, can we let go of this election business long enough for you to release your soon to be famous Cheesecake Brownie recipe?

bloggless on September 24, 2012 at 2:53 PM

And now ladies and gentlemen,
a look at actual Obama voters:

burrata on September 24, 2012 at 2:54 PM

DFCtomm on September 24, 2012 at 2:48 PM

They only get picked on when Dems know they have to rely on them to win.

cajun carrot on September 24, 2012 at 2:54 PM

“If you burp, fart, and sneeze at the same time, will you die?
…We are America’s undecided voters.”

AAAAAHAHAHAHAHA! Frakkin’ Brilliant!

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on September 24, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Then ask them if they’re better off now than they were 4 years ago.

And if that’s too simple (and it should be), ask them if they know how Obamacare is going to affect their health care plan? Ask them if they are familiar with the fact that taxes are set to go up on Jan. 2nd? Ask them if they’ve seen a positive change in the “tone” of our national politics over the last 4 years (only one candidate made that promise, it should be pointed out)?

The conversation doesn’t have to be about “policy”. These are things that affect everybody, and pointing out the fact that the country is on the wrong track doesn’t require you to say “the country is on the wrong track”–just hit the highlights with thoughtful questions that let the unengaged people engage at the level that they choose.

johnny alpha on September 24, 2012 at 2:56 PM

The Elephant in the Room as always is the fundamental flaw of representative democracy based on universal suffrage: the majority of the electorate is simply too ignorant, selfish, and/or gullible to choose its leaders wisely. For this reason, and no other, the quality of government in any broad-based democracy inevitably declines–to the point where the system breaks down completely and an authoritarian regime is welcomed with relief.

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations has been 200 years.

Alexis de Tocqueville

spiritof61 on September 24, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Usually I agree with you, but here I have to say NO.

Instead of being dumb or irresponsible they are being lazy. They have busy lives, but don’t we all? The cost/benefit analysis of not being aware and making the time is we end up with the Barack Obamas of the world, the Charlie Rangels, etc, etc, etc.

And how do they think policy is made, the same policy that affects their bill paying and children raising? The politics that they don’t seem to have the time for.

Managing one’s time is just the same as managing one’s finances. You make decisions of what’s more important. Is that hour of some dumbass reality show more important than checking out Hot Gas? Is that pack of cigs more important than buying your birth control?

The more we let people off the hook for not being involved in the basics the more we infantilize them and the more we get idiots like Obama in office.

kim roy on September 24, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I’ve often told my wife there’s no way I could ever be elected to public office, because my stance on undecided voters would likely cost me the election.

If, in this day and age, you have no idea what you stand for, no clue where candidates stand on the issues, and can’t make a simple choice between two options, you’re a moron, and I don’t want your vote. I’d rather you vote for the other guy, so he can hang his hat on the fact that only a moron would vote for him.

CurtZHP on September 24, 2012 at 2:57 PM

lorien1973 on September 24, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Pics or it never happened.

Mord on September 24, 2012 at 3:00 PM

All the undecideds will still be undecided when they wake up to the headlines the day after the world ends. This is an apathy election cycle. Your gonna have tons of unused ballots to send to China to recycle and make into Susie’s school books.

Limerick on September 24, 2012 at 3:00 PM

CurtZHP on September 24, 2012 at 2:57 PM

If it means anything, I’d vote for you. ;)

kim roy on September 24, 2012 at 3:00 PM

What makes great comedy is how close it is to the truth!

illinoisdrummerboy on September 24, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Yep, and SNL doesn’t get that part right very often.

slickwillie2001 on September 24, 2012 at 3:02 PM

CurtZHP on September 24, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I’d have some leniency in elections where the choice wasn’t between Dumb and Evil, but on the whole I think you’re correct.

And I too would vote for you in a heartbeat.

MelonCollie on September 24, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Have they ever done a send-up of Michelle? Evidently there is nothing about her to mock.

lowandslow on September 24, 2012 at 3:05 PM

We should all consider it our Patriotic Duty to cure as many “low-information voters” as possible before they receive their absentee ballots!

Be part of the solution! Send the Presidential/VP Debate Schedule to your email lists, Facebook Friends, Twitter Followers and anybody else who may vote in 2012.

Wednesday October 3 – Romney vs. Obama Debate 9:00 -10:30 pm eastern time – Topic = Domestic Policy

Thursday October 11 – Ryan vs. Biden Debate 9:00 – 10:30 pm eastern time – Topic = Foreign & Domestic Policy

Tuesday October 16 – Romney vs. Obama Debate 9:00 – 10:30 pm eastern time – Town Meeting Format on Foreign & Domestic Policy

Monday October 22 – Romney vs. Obama Debate 9:00 – 10:30 pm eastern time – Topic = Foreign Policy

Let’s Roll! Early voting has already started in some states.

wren on September 24, 2012 at 3:06 PM

kim roy on September 24, 2012 at 3:00 PM

MelonCollie on September 24, 2012 at 3:03 PM

After Romney and Ryan have had their two terms each, I’ll think about it.

CurtZHP on September 24, 2012 at 3:07 PM

What about the rest of us?

Baerwulf on September 24, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Indeed, we are being taken for granted.

NotCoach on September 24, 2012 at 3:07 PM

I asked one of our resident trolls this question and it ran her off. It seems to be appropriate for an independent voter thread though.

Suppose you’re a dem voter in MA. You either love RomneyCare and want to keep it or you love Obama so much you’d rather trade RomneyCare for ObamaCare. How do you vote?

reckon this will factor in to any considerations?

DanMan on September 24, 2012 at 3:08 PM

They are in fact Obama voters and diehard closet marxists, but they act clueless in public, specially when meeting you MKH. They know what you stand for and that you can make them look like babblin fools if they act out their marxism in public.

burrata on September 24, 2012 at 3:08 PM

lowandslow on September 24, 2012 at 3:05 PM

They learned from Airhead America: trying to make fun of something/someone that is intrinsically stupid not only isn’t funny, but you look like a butthead in the process.

On a more everyday level, it’s like a schoolchild mockingly acting like the Special-ed student in a wheelchair with a spit bib. Nobody except the crudest morons finds any humor in it, and the would-be jester is likely to be ostracized. (not to mention spanked until his/her butt glows in the dark if the parents give a darn)

MelonCollie on September 24, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I cook for these people too, but I never say what it is. Thats why they still eat it…

Valkyriepundit on September 24, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Keep the USPO employeed! Let’s vote now for the 2028 cycle!

Limerick on September 24, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Walk on right conservative side OK .Walk on left liberal side OK.Walk in middle undecided moderate side get mashed like grape.

logman1 on September 24, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Bill Maher is a little harder on them.

lexhamfox on September 24, 2012 at 3:13 PM

spiritof61 on September 24, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Perhaps it is time to limit the vote once again only to property owners. I think what is overlooked the most in our own history is the nature of our rev0lutionaries. They weren’t disaffected workers, they were private property owners who understood that when property is seized so is liberty. Our rev0lution worked because it was a revolution of property, and not one of jealousy and contempt. The French Rev0lution is the model for doing it a$$ backwards, but unfortunately it is the model most embraced today.

NotCoach on September 24, 2012 at 3:15 PM

We Wuz Robbed! The Way We Should’ve Fought World War II!

New posters added. More coming soon.

Resist We Much on September 24, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Maybe better polling of them can be done on IPhone sales days?

whatcat on September 24, 2012 at 3:17 PM

NotCoach on September 24, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I agree. And in addition to keeping parasites and lunatics off the voting rolls, it would start a new kind of business! People could buy tracts of cheap land and sell tiny parcels to would-be voters at an inflated price.

Wanna vote? You have to own land. I just happen to have land available by the square foot for, oh, $100. I’ll give you a notarized certificate, GPS coordinates, and put out a little sign on your land. How about it?

I’m not kidding at all!

MelonCollie on September 24, 2012 at 3:22 PM

The Republican Party: Hold you nose and vote for our candidate, again!

Mmm...Burritos on September 24, 2012 at 3:26 PM

What about the rest of us?

Baerwulf on September 24, 2012 at 2:44 PM

The rest of us are perfectly capable of making our own brownies.

It’s a free country and they haven’t been outlawed. Yet.

Lily on September 24, 2012 at 3:26 PM

If B. Obama gets re-elected the U.S.A. will be the first country where the people voted to become slaves of their goverment.

Well 47% and cheating with illegals, dead people and fraud might be enough.

Notwithstanding the enableing work of the RINO’s who when you look at it have been the 2% to 3% that put the commie Democrat crap into law.

Cause / Effect

APACHEWHOKNOWS on September 24, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I usually take them out to the wood chipper, just to show them how it works, you know. /

TXUS on September 24, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Bill Maher is a little harder on them.

lexhamfox on September 24, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Vulgarity aside, I enjoyed that. Chris Matthews’ reaction was hilarious. Liberal Republicans do actually still exist though, Maher. They make up a large portion of the New England Republican delegation.

vegconservative on September 24, 2012 at 3:34 PM

and then who do you feed them to?

DanMan on September 24, 2012 at 3:35 PM

But they’re not avoiding the process because they’re dumb or irresponsible.

Hmm. Most of the ones I come across avoid the process because they’re dumb and/or irresponsible.

rrpjr on September 24, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Perhaps it is time to limit the vote once again only to property owners.

NotCoach on September 24, 2012 at 3:15 PM

How about if we limit the right to vote to people who are able to speak English well enough to fulfull their responsibility as a Citizen to serve on a Jury?

I have met hundreds of New Citizens via volunteer work and much too large a percentage of them can’t speak English well enough to have any hope of being an informed voter.

And yet their votes will likely cancel out votes of people who have taken the time to research the candidates and issues.

Huge progress on this front could be made if the government employees who grant U.S. citizenship would simply follow the law and make sure the applicants pass a real English test before they are given U.S. Citizenship.

wren on September 24, 2012 at 3:39 PM

The Republican Party: Hold you nose and vote for our candidate, again!

Mmm…Burritos on September 24, 2012 at 3:26 PM

You’re right. It’s much better to just take some loser junior senator from IL, put a freakin halo around his head and call him your god. At least we know what we’re getting. Your ilk never know, you just do what you’re told to be sure your checks keep coming. Remember, Romney donor’s sign their checks on the front, Obama donor’s sign theirs on the back.

Night Owl on September 24, 2012 at 3:41 PM

vegconservative on September 24, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Aren’t those more known as “libertarians”?

kim roy on September 24, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I noticed the “weekend update” section by Seth Meyers had no mention on the economy, the horrible lies by Obama regarding blaming a video for the Middle east turmoil, or anything about the Middle East whatsoever.

Wagthatdog on September 24, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I tuned in to SNL for the first time in about 6 years… to watch Mumford & Sons.

LtGenRob on September 24, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Aren’t those more known as “libertarians”?

kim roy on September 24, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Yeah… sure… DOn’t they like social engineering programs? Libertarian? Maybe more out west, not out east…

NH seems to be the only one that might lean possibly libertarian, then again, it does not really seem to be that way.

astonerii on September 24, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I tuned in to SNL for the first time in about 6 years… to watch Mumford & Sons.

LtGenRob on September 24, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I was out of town and my daughter recorded SNL just for me to see Mumford.

I still haven’t watched it yet. BRB. :)

Fallon on September 24, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Total Meltdown!

Hillary Clinton’s longtime aide and personal spokesman at the State Department tells BuzzFeed’s correspondent Michael Hastings to “F*ck off!” over questions about Benghazi and calls him “an unmitigated a.s.s.hole.”

Change “v” to “u” in link.

Resist We Much on September 24, 2012 at 3:55 PM

spiritof61 on September 24, 2012 at 2:56 PM

The problem is how do you fairly restrict voting to those who “care” and are competent to make a good decision? That path is just as fraught with peril as any Democracy.

DFCtomm on September 24, 2012 at 4:12 PM

DFCtomm on September 24, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I already addressed that. We need a constitution that respects liberty for all, but not necessarily voting rights for all. Someday the American experiment will most likely fail, and the only way I see to improve upon the most successful self governance ever is to understand voting is not a God given right and should be limited.

NotCoach on September 24, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Where’s my power cord?

SailorMark on September 24, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I recently spoke to a guy, from Ohio of course, who did not know that Romney won the primary and is running for president!? It’s no wonder there are undecideds when they don’t even know who is running.

It sickens me to think the future of the Republic depends on these people.

HellCat on September 24, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Limerick on September 24, 2012 at 3:00 PM

FIFY.

Steve Z on September 24, 2012 at 4:49 PM

…no one can be undecided…unless they have had a lobotomy!

KOOLAID2 on September 24, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Resist We Much on September 24, 2012 at 3:55 PM

spiritof61 on September 24, 2012 at 2:56 PM

DFCtomm on September 24, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I used to get all hot and bothered about the American citizens who would not get off their butts long enough to go to the polls and vote. Over the past few years, though, I’ve rethought the whole thing. I suspect that those people who are too lazy to vote are also too lazy to inform themselves about the issues and the candidates. Do we really want those people to vote? Maybe we should give up the GOTV drives, and let those people simply stay at home. It wouldn’t be discriminating against non-property owners or any other specific category; it would simply be allowing the low-information, non-motivated people to remain at home on the couch.

catsandbooks on September 24, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I remember when SNL was cutting edge. Funny. Now its just doing back flips to keep from making fun of the obviously hilarious. It’s not even pc phobic, its just state run comedy.
MSNBC state run news is much, much funnier. Only it’s also very frightening in its subservient, willing to kill for the master, way. It’s a dark comedic affair, but none the less a lot funnier.
But this, this is just sad. It’s a weak water parody of John Ziegler’s work.

onomo on September 24, 2012 at 5:16 PM

In that case, I have decided to move into the “undecided voter” category. Now, where’s my stuff?

Mmm, undecided voter brownies! Arararggh!

Kingfisher on September 24, 2012 at 5:17 PM

catsandbooks on September 24, 2012 at 5:07 PM

It is a good point and sad to say, but this is a free country and you really have the right to be as stupid as you wish to be. The world truly needs ditch diggers. The dems will insist the means I need to pay more taxes for that observation but it is what it is.
I think so many are just tired. The working tired and have given up. The system, our system has taken advantage of them for so long, for so much (money) they don’t see a way out. They don’t have time to educate themselves and, for good reason thought Dianne Sawyer would tell them what they needed to know at the end of the day.
Which is why the msm celebs in my opinion are guilty of treason and should be facing extended prison sentences.

onomo on September 24, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Hilarious!

Like a family reunion on my wifes side.

Tim_CA on September 24, 2012 at 6:05 PM

catsandbooks on September 24, 2012 at 5:07 PM

In the big dem districts where they own all those working in the precinct, those that stay home will get voted. In the last hour or so, they start going through the rolls looking for unchecked names, and they vote those names, and check them off. This is why dems often fight to keep their precincts open late.

Just as a test, I’d like to see someone take the completed voter rolls from somewhere like Philadelphia, and go around to each of those people and ask them if they voted.

slickwillie2001 on September 24, 2012 at 6:12 PM

…undecided voter?…YOU IGNORANT SLUT!!!

KOOLAID2 on September 24, 2012 at 6:22 PM