Video: Israeli delegation walks out of Ahmadinejad’s UN speech — but the U.S. doesn’t?

posted at 6:41 pm on September 24, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Gateway Pundit and Breitbart.com. I haven’t seen any news stories yet that explicitly say that the U.S. delegation stayed put, but there are several on the wires mentioning Israel’s walkout with no other countries mentioned so it seems safe to assume. “Walkout theater” has always seemed pointless to me but both sides do it so it’s part of the diplomatic arsenal during “UN week” in September — which is what makes this interesting. Maybe it’s nothing, but note that Americans walked out on A-jad in both 2010 and 2011, back when the U.S and Israel were far more simpatico on Iranian nukes. Was sitting through Dinnerjacket’s latest deep thoughts about the scourge of Zionism and the unsolved mystery of the Holocaust a small signal to Iranian diplomats that we’re decoupled from Israel and therefore shouldn’t be held responsible if Netanyahu orders a raid on Iran tomorrow?

Before you say “maybe!”, two caveats. One: This isn’t the Ahmadinejad speech this week. He’s due to take his turn in the roll call of world leaders addressing the General Assembly on Wednesday. Today’s address was at a special meeting devoted to, uh … the rule of law. (He flashed the peace sign too, so in case you were worried about Iran’s intentions, rest easy.) If Obama wants to make a show of turning America’s back on Ahmadinejad, he still has an opportunity on Wednesday. Two: The White House did condemn the eliminationist chum that Ahmadinejad was tossing to Middle Eastern media before his speech. Quote:

“We don’t even count them as any part of any equation for Iran. During a historical phase, they (the Israelis) represent minimal disturbances that come into the picture and are then eliminated,” he added.

In 2005, Ahmadinejad called Israel a “tumor” and echoed the words of the former Iranian Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, by saying that Israel should be wiped off the map.

In Washington, White House spokesman Tommy Vietor reaffirmed the U.S. commitment to Israel’s security.

“President Ahmadinejad’s comments are characteristically disgusting, offensive and outrageous. They underscore again why America’s commitment to the security of Israel must be unshakeable, and why the world must hold Iran accountable for its utter failure to meet its obligations,” Vietor said.

Maybe they’ve decided to dispense with walkout theater from now on and metaphorically flip the bird to America’s enemies exclusively with angry statements afterward instead? If so, it’d be a shame to change our habits now: Wednesday will be A-jad’s last address to the GA as president of Iran, so we really should send him off properly. Almost makes me wistful to think that next year it’ll be some other fanatic holding court with the press in New York and laughing at the fatwa imposed on Salman Rushdie. Then again, on the plus side, we’ll have a fresh new take on what really happened on 9/11. Can’t wait.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What an evil human being this man is..

sadsushi on September 24, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Well as a Jew myself, I do take offense to those who criticize other Jews simply based on their political leanings. Based on this rationale as expressed earlier, you must be a bad person, if you vote Democratic and not Republican. I personally am a very conservative Jew, but I also have family members that are not. And I do not think of them as bad people, only uninformed.

DDay on September 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Why would I NOT despise communist scourge?

You obviously have not lived in hell also known as Soviet Union. You would be taking a different view. Maybe if you’d hear “kike” applied liberally and almost daily to you your view would change. Maybe if “Jew” was stamped prominently in your passport to make others aware ASAP you would think differently. Maybe that same “Jew” in your passport disqualified you from higher learning (a la Tsarist Russia) you would think differently. Maybe if your grandparents were sent for hard labor for simply being Jewish you’d think differently. Maybe the mere reception of overseas mail from USA from relatives who left this hell hole resulted in you spending time in GULAG you would think differently.

MAYBE. Some people never learn.

But hey, TOLERANCE and ACCEPTANCE are the keywords to you, right? You know what Israel’s slogan is these days? NEVER AGAIN.

Communists ARE bad people. In every way. They are the ones who changed the world over a 100 years ago, we’re still paying the price and will be for a long to come.

Communism is cancer to society.

Sorry we disagree so vastly.

riddick on September 24, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Thank you sir/madame. We’re on the same side.

Dingbat63 on September 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM

That was “.. less than worthless to me…”

I’m a “he” :-)

riddick on September 24, 2012 at 8:47 PM

And Ishmael was so conveniently declared an Arab when Abraham and his wives were nothing but Jews.

riddick on September 24, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Just wondering if you could clarify: Ishmael’s mother, Hagar, was Egyptian, wasn’t she? (Gen 16:1, 3, 21:9, 25:12) And Jewish identity is through matrilineal descent, at least from Second Temple times? Might this account for why Muslims are happy to claim Ismael’s father, Abraham, as an ancestor while denying that Ishmael or his descendants are in any way Jewish? (NB for whomever needs to know: Ishmael is the reputed to be the father of the Arab peoples, or at least, the Arabized-Arabs, of whom Muhammad was one.)

de rigueur on September 24, 2012 at 8:51 PM

If Obama would have been there he would have given Ahmadinejad a standing ovation… and bowed to him too.

Axion on September 24, 2012 at 9:03 PM

riddick on September 24, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Well said.

Midas on September 24, 2012 at 9:32 PM

riddick on September 24, 2012 at 8:43 PM

So, now I’m a Communist? That would be news to me. Trying to control others choices, now that would be Communism, not freedom of choice. Freedom of Religion and Choice is why my family is here. And by the way I am well aware of what people are saying in Israel. Have and easy fast (10th Tishrei 5773).

DDay on September 24, 2012 at 9:37 PM

So, now I’m a Communist?

DDay on September 24, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Show me where and when I said that. You stated you’re a conservative, I’ll take you on your word for now.

But I DID say that we disagree greatly in our perception of communists. You said they should be tolerated. I said no way.

I recommend “reading comprehension” course.

riddick on September 24, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Axion on September 24, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Good for us he had “View” to tape.

riddick on September 24, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Why is the united states so committed to Israel?

Romney’s plan for Israel was to “keep kicking the can down the street” so it’s obvious neither party has a plan on how to handle them but why is it such a big deal I don’t really understand it. What makes them more important than the other hundreds of countries in the world?

Politricks on September 24, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Tell ya what; take a gander at the map of the Middle East for a bit. Ponder it, mull it over. Maybe read some history of the region. Then ponder of the various nations over there, which ones are 1) avowed long term allies, and 2) which ones are not.

Get back to us when you have. a. f@#$ing. clue.

Midas on September 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM

DDay on September 24, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Forgot to add. You do know where word “terror” took its roots and definition?

Defied and implemented by a communist, Lenin, that you seem to be so tolerant about. Yep, tolerance seems to be the key to winning people over, worked so great so far with progressive liberals/communists and islam.

The more you’ll bend over for them the deeper they will give it you…

riddick on September 24, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Politricks on September 24, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Oh I don’t know. Maybe because they are the only Middle East democracy not openly hostile to us and actually share our views/ideals?

riddick on September 24, 2012 at 9:49 PM

riddick on September 24, 2012 at 8:47 PM

And, sir, I should throw myself in the flames: why in the hell would Catholics (of which I am one) vote for Dear Leader…and Biden…and Pelosi…and Kennedy? I confront the Priest about how these gems still are in grace and I get more stuttering that Obama. I take that as a get out of jail free card and blow off confession.

Dingbat63 on September 24, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Dingbat63 on September 24, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Well, as stated above by DDay, they are not the problem, WE ARE. Its we who should learn how to tolerate, their convictions and actions do not affect our lives in any way, shape or form. No, no, no, we should simply accept everything communists do for us, we are simply blind and lost and have no idea what to do with our lives and only communists know how to go about it and should lead us to greater pastures.

I am speechless when I read some posts on HA and elsewhere, we are no way out of stone ages yet, by any means.

Tolerance is what got us into this mess to begin with.

riddick on September 24, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Yeah I am with RIDDICK on this.

Showing Tolerance to those with communist views is basically taking the view that “Only God Judges.”

No one is asking GOD to judge…We are on planet earth and we have to protect society from encroachment from those that seek to damage/harm society. That harm occurs when a Communist places a VOTE for a Communist who then passes laws that go against your own Faith.

Jew, Christian, Muslim….You show tolerance and lo and behold wonder why you are forced to fund Abortions, Birth Control, and who knows what else…..

You can’t show tolerance to Communists who favor Dictatorships and support Politicians who have that goal.

You have to be ACTIVIST and you have to place JUDGEMENT on others.

Either defend your own Society you wish to live in….your own community you love…. Or face the consequences of tolerance.

Varchild on September 24, 2012 at 10:34 PM

riddick on September 24, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I always thought the whole concept of The Terror as a French thing. I know – hard to believe, but still…

affenhauer on September 24, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Dingbat63 on September 24, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Amen, brother (?). Reconciliation these days is kinda like the MSM: granted from a suspect authority…

affenhauer on September 24, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Yeah, I was wondering about that, since Ahmadinejad is scheduled to speak on Wednesday. Non of the other countries who typically walk out left. Canada always does, Australia plans to, as do many other countries.

William Teach on September 25, 2012 at 7:32 AM

As I said already, I don’t think Israelis will even be in the building on Wednesday, its Yom Kippur. And a very strange day for a rabid Jew hater to be scheduled to speak on such a day. UN shows its face once more.

riddick on September 25, 2012 at 12:30 PM

To American (Or Israeli) establishment types, Ahmadinejad is “evil” because of mere words. To me, the actions of nations are what make it evil, not its’ words. There’s a very real and serious irony and contradiction here. Right now you have Obama and Clinton running around the world, apologizing for and explaining how we have the right to freedom of speech to produce inflammatory YouTube videos. Yet, Ahmadinejad is “evil” and preeminent war is deemed justified because of “words” he spoke. So much for “freedom of speech”.

Iran has not invaded another nation since what? The 1800′s? They’re not the evil, aggressive monsters HotAir and most American news agencies represent. They are a poor country that’s been under threat from the U.S. and Israel for the last 60+ years. And cab drivers in Iran routinely say “death to traffic” as a way to say I don’t understand why this traffic is so bad. In the same way they say “death to America” means they don’t understand America’s policies toward Iran. There’s a combination of problems in America regarding the demonization of Iran. Ignorance, Xenophobia, Cultural misunderstandings, religious differences – and their all being taken advantage of in order to get us into ANOTHER WAR.

Am I saying Iran is perfect? No, but we’re certainly not either. I’m to the point of almost WANTING Iran to develop nukes just so Israel or the U.S. cannot invade them and then we have to act like adults and use “diplomacy” and not war. This is, above all, what Israel and the Neocons do not want – They need to be able to kick the hell out of Iran and keep them as our patsy whom we can blame for any and all things.

fatlibertarianinokc on September 25, 2012 at 1:24 PM

And just to state a fact that would seem obvious to me, but not to a neocon who’s been manipulated and lied too;

The Iranians do not hate the Jews or Christians. They hate American and Israel policy which has continually kept Iran under the threat of war or aggression for the last 60+ years. Everything Ahmadinejad says is based on those 60+ years of (as they see it) evil, tyrannical threat from America/Israel.

Iranians culture is vastly different from both America’s and Israel’s, but that’s not the primary motivation of hate. The motivation of hate is occupation and the perpetual threats. If we want to change this relationship, only the U.S. holds the power to change it. Iran saw what happened to Qaddafi once he got rid of seeking nukes – he was killed in U.S/U.N. supported war.

Most of you are on the wrong side of this “war”, you just don’t know it.

fatlibertarianinokc on September 25, 2012 at 1:39 PM