NFL Week 3 open thread

posted at 11:01 am on September 23, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

All right, I’ve refrained from gloating over the Pittsburgh Steelers’ win in the Hot Air Super Bowl over the New York Jets — and it’s too late to start now, because Pittsburgh has to face off against the Oakland Raiders this week on the road.  The Steeler defense has to make do without James Harrison and Troy Polamalu again, but the rest of the Steel Curtain defense did pretty good against the Jets last week — and the Jets are a better team than Oakland, at least so far.  (Did I mention that the Steelers beat the Jets, 27-10, last week?)  Oakland has two losses this season and no wins, and looked bad in both.  I’m picking Pittsburgh (shocka!) to win 31-14 over Oakland.

Last week, I ended up splitting my ticket 3-3 to put my season at 7-5.  I need to play some catch-up this week to get an edge, so let’s see how I do with these picks:

• 49ers at Vikings — Oh, my.  The Vikings are tough at home … but notthat tough.  Not like, say, the Steelers were last week against the Jets.  San Francisco should have an easy time with Minnesota, 27-17.
  • Packers at Seahawks — The Packers weren’t quite as good that first week as I thought, and the Seahawks better than predicted the second week, kind of like the Steelers against the Jets.  I’m still going to give the edge to the Packers even on the road, but it should be a good game — 35-31, perhaps a final-drive game.
  • Patriots at Ravens — The Ravens are still smarting from last week’s loss, which put them into a division tie with the Pittsburgh Steelers after their win over the Jets.  If they’re still blaming the replacement refs, they’ll be toast against the Patriots, who are still smarting from their own second-week loss on the road at home against Arizona.  I’m still going to pick the Pats in an upset, 24-20.
  • Falcons at Chargers — Both of these teams are off to good starts this season, perhaps surprisingly so for San Diego.  Atlanta beat a tough team last week in the Denver Broncos, kind of like how Pittsburgh beat a tough team in the Jets, while San Diego hasn’t been too tested yet, beating Oakland and Tennessee.  I’ll pick the away team again in this contest, with Atlanta winning a shootout, 38-31.
  • Eagles at Cardinals — Two more undefeated teams square off, with Arizona fresh off a big win over New England at home on the road and Philadelphia beating Baltimore in Philly — not too far from where Pittsburgh beat the Jets.  This could also be a Game of the Week, and I’m going with the Cardinals at home, 24-21.

UPDATE: (Jazz) – Why is my Delete Post key grayed out all of a sudden? Somebody call tech support, STAT!!

Update: For some reason, I thought the Pats were on the road against Arizona last week. I’ve fixed both references.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

5 reversals in one game – that is terrible.

gophergirl on September 23, 2012 at 4:48 PM

We are at the mercy of the local channels. We don’t pay the extra money for the NFL package. I’d rather be watching the Steelrs’ game, but I’m stuck watching the Saints/Chiefs. FIASCO.

What happened in your game?

conservative pilgrim on September 23, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Johnson catch!

KOOLAID2 on September 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM

And what a catch!

Ugly on September 23, 2012 at 4:49 PM

@gophergirl–

my above comment was to you!

conservative pilgrim on September 23, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Aww crap.

Ugly on September 23, 2012 at 4:51 PM

What happened in your game?

conservative pilgrim on September 23, 2012 at 4:49 PM

SF called time out to stop the clock – that was their last time out. Then they threw the challenge flag and was allowed a challenge even though they didn’t have any TO’s. They won the challenge and got the ball. Karma though – we intercepted.

gophergirl on September 23, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Congrats Titans >:(

Ugly on September 23, 2012 at 4:52 PM

…why did Hill take it and not give it to Lashore who hasn’t lost a yard all game?…now I gotta eat sh!t.

KOOLAID2 on September 23, 2012 at 4:53 PM

KOOLAID2 on September 23, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I was pounding on my coffee table after that snap. Save some of that sh!t for me.

Ugly on September 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

And KC wins in OT!

Great game!

Tim_CA on September 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

KOOLAID2 on September 23, 2012 at 4:53 PM

sorry

:<

conservative tarheel on September 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Saints CHOKE.

CW on September 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

fish missed a FG …. come on Jets ….

conservative tarheel on September 23, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Hey Jets … they are the Dolphins …. NOT Sharks ….

conservative tarheel on September 23, 2012 at 4:59 PM

a little west side story there ….

conservative tarheel on September 23, 2012 at 4:59 PM

That was one of the craziest football games I have ever seen. Oh, and the Lions are going 14-2!

NotCoach on September 23, 2012 at 5:01 PM

gophergirl on September 23, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Oh wow. Even my teenage daughter knows the rules for that. Come on. Great win for the Vikings though.

Anyone know when the first string refs are gonna be back?

conservative pilgrim on September 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Hey jets … kick a bloody FG …..

conservative tarheel on September 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Jets win …..

conservative tarheel on September 23, 2012 at 5:04 PM

NotCoach on September 23, 2012 at 5:01 PM

No doubt! They were so close…

Ugly on September 23, 2012 at 5:05 PM

After todays lack of performance, can we nickname Tampabay Team Obama?

meci on September 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM

little boy at custody hearing …
Judge: I can send you to live with your mom …

boy : NO please … momma beats me …

Judge: how bout your daddy …

boy NO.. he beas me too…..

Judge Grandma and Grandpa ?

boy: NO NO NO … they beat me … send me to the oakland raiders
they don’t beat anyone ….. :D

conservative tarheel on September 23, 2012 at 5:09 PM

start of 2nd quarter ….
Pits: 14 Oakland 7

wow Pit just lost a TD on a penalty ….

conservative tarheel on September 23, 2012 at 5:13 PM

San Franscisco is good. They’re just not that good. The Vikings played their best game since Brett Favre’s first year.

The Vikings are still a mediocre team with alot of rebuilding to do. The important thing for them is they got 3 important answers from today’s game.

Christian Ponder played his third straight strong game this season. It’s time to announce that he’s the Vikings’ starting QB for the next 10 years.

Kyle Rudolph is turning into a beast of a TE. Expect him to be a Pro Bowl TE after the 2013 season.

Matt Kalil made the dominant 49ers pass rush disappear. I figured he’d be a stud by the end of this season. I just didn’t think he’d be this good this quickly. Pencil him in at LT for the next 12-15 years.

LFRGary on September 23, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Anybody have any paper bags?

Del Dolemonte on September 23, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Congrats on the big Vikings win gophergirl!
I’ve always had a soft spot for them.
My Scandinavian heritage.

OTTO on September 23, 2012 at 6:05 PM

little boy at custody hearing …
Judge: I can send you to live with your mom …

boy : NO please … momma beats me …

Judge: how bout your daddy …

boy NO.. he beas me too…..

Judge Grandma and Grandpa ?

boy: NO NO NO … they beat me … send me to the oakland raiders
they don’t beat anyone ….. :D

conservative tarheel on September 23, 2012 at 5:09 PM

That was pretty dumb.

The Notorious G.O.P on September 23, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Ed
How bout them Jets……… they won this week ……….gloat.. hmmm….. it help when the officials are all sqeelers fans……

angrymike on September 23, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Real nervous about my Pats after last weeks embarrassment.
Belichick better get a grip on Josh McDaniels play calling.
Every snap was soooo predictable.
Every pass was from shotgun and every snap under center was a run.
Stupid.

OTTO on September 23, 2012 at 6:13 PM

angrymike on September 23, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Awww someone is still hurting. How sad.

CW on September 23, 2012 at 6:29 PM

CW
TD Raiders………. Dude I’m from Cleveland, I have a built in hatred of anything Pittsburgh ……..

angrymike on September 23, 2012 at 6:36 PM

angrymike on September 23, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Cleveland ? So you all you know is losing. That explains a lot.

Oh and please with the officials. Seriously? Loser.

CW on September 23, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Oh and please with the officials. Seriously? Loser.

CW on September 23, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Wasn’t last week’s Ravens-Iggles game decided by a Bad Call by the replacement Zebras?

In Week 1, a replacement ref gave Seattle an extra timeout late in their game against Arizona.

And one of the replacements was yanked from a Saints game after his Facebook page showed he was a Who Dat. Philadelphia running back LeSean McCoy said another official told him he needed him to play well for his fantasy team.

I’m sure you would sing a different tune if your team lost a game that was decided by a bad call by the replacements. Or even one decided by a bad call by the “real” refs.

I’ve actually lived thru the latter. Remember how ref Ben Dreith was prohibited by the NFL from working Patriots games for 11 seasons after he robbed the Pats of a playoff win in Oakland in 1976? I sure do.

Del Dolemonte on September 23, 2012 at 7:01 PM

TD, RAIDERS! JUST WIN, BABY!

Christien on September 23, 2012 at 7:26 PM

CW
Ya and a no call on a hit to the head……Again…….Your a typical Sqeelers fan……a-hole, and I know a-holes I’ve been to a loser Browns game……f- you…………sorry Ed

angrymike on September 23, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Del Delmonte
Thanks, but your talking to a wall………Fumble sqeelers …………

angrymike on September 23, 2012 at 7:33 PM

FG, RAIDERS! Tie game.

Christien on September 23, 2012 at 7:39 PM

What’s Ed going to do if the Raiders come back and win?

Oh, the PATHOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Khun Joe on September 23, 2012 at 7:54 PM

ROBO-KICKER, FTW! Way to go, Raiders.

Christien on September 23, 2012 at 8:03 PM

RAIDERS!!!!

Tim_CA on September 23, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Someone will have to talk Ed off the ledge now.

ronval912 on September 23, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Just won, baby!

Christien on September 23, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Which was more humiliating? The Steelers loss, or the Jets win?

CyberCipher on September 23, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Now, it’s even dumber.

Rovin on September 23, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Now, it’s even dumber.

Rovin on September 23, 2012 at 8:07 PM

LOL

The Notorious G.O.P on September 23, 2012 at 8:12 PM

The Steelers lost and the Vikings won?

Something is very strange in the universe.

gophergirl on September 23, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Washington still suxs but at least it’s an exciting suxs.

Cindy Munford on September 23, 2012 at 8:40 PM

ahem…3-0

wasn’t worried

DanMan on September 23, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Something is very strange in the universe.

gophergirl on September 23, 2012 at 8:17 PM

At least in your little football universe thing are going swimmingly.
You deserve a hot chocolate I think.

OTTO on September 23, 2012 at 8:43 PM

So far I’m 2-1.

I should never pick a team from Mexifornia.

Stinking 49er QB hype.

I’m a fan of Giselle’s team but I like Michael Oher too.

Go Purpleybirds.

PappyD61 on September 23, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Now, it’s even dumber.

Rovin on September 23, 2012 at 8:07 PM

LOL

The Notorious G.O.P on September 23, 2012 at 8:12 PM

LOL … I am pleasantly surprised … they way the Raiders played last week
and going against the Steelers … I thought it was gonna be slaughter …
I am oh so very happy to be wrong ….

conservative tarheel on September 23, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I’m a fan of Giselle’s team but I like Michael Oher too.

Go Purpleybirds.

PappyD61 on September 23, 2012 at 8:44 PM

LOL
My Tommy boy has lost a lot of luster.
I’m ready for Mallet win or lose.

OTTO on September 23, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Funny how CW disappeared after the Stealers lost. :)

I’ve long been a Raiders hater, but if they keep beating the Steelers . . .

By the way, there is no reason for you NHL fans to be bummed anymore. The NFL now has fights after every play. (Yes, I’m watching the Ravens-Patriots game.)

WannabeAnglican on September 23, 2012 at 9:18 PM

WannabeAnglican on September 23, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I have worked as a referee and ump and it is much easier from your chair watching the TV than on the field.

That said, failing to blow a whistle, making no call when a player hits a QB’s legs, missing “take down” holds and needing a lot of video help on ball placement and possession is getting beyond the pale.

The Steelers mostly outplayed the Raiders but you must hang onto that weird shaped ball. And the hit on Bey was not vicious. Going after Ben’s feet was.

The Broncos should be ashamed. They were not even fun to watch. Fox can do that.

The Lions coach needs therapy and pharmacological intervention.

The 49ers are reaping a bad harvest this year as they don’t surprise anyone and the D lost their exuberance.

IlikedAUH2O on September 23, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Anybody ‘seen’ Ed after the Steelers lost??

Khun Joe on September 23, 2012 at 9:45 PM

LFRGary on September 23, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Yup, if the team stays together, they’re gonna be contenders.

whatcat on September 23, 2012 at 10:44 PM

I also have to say tough to those whining about the refs. For years I have watched the Cardinals get screwed out of calls they should have gotten. It’s almost as if their reputation as a losing team is why they don’t get calls I see other team get.

At least with the replacement reps we are all on equal footing. Yes it’s bad footing, but equal.

Hard Right on September 24, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Who Ain’t

:’-(

cane_loader on September 24, 2012 at 1:22 AM

The Lions coach needs therapy and pharmacological intervention.

IlikedAUH2O on September 23, 2012 at 9:35 PM

You’re serious, right?

Ugly on September 24, 2012 at 5:13 AM

I hope my Packers do good tonite ….

conservative tarheel on September 24, 2012 at 7:16 AM

“Officials”?

Del Dolemonte on September 24, 2012 at 7:28 AM

The Lions coach needs therapy and pharmacological intervention.

IlikedAUH2O on September 23, 2012 at 9:35 PM

You’re serious, right?

Ugly on September 24, 2012 at 5:13 AM

Kicking a game-tying field goal in over-time should have been a no-brainer…….unless you play in Detroit. Since no one else on the offensive line moved, I’m guessing the QB (and the center) made this decision on their own. I’ve watch the talent level of Detroit go up remarkably the past two years, but they still lack discipline—-and that starts at the top with Schwartz.

Congrats to the Vikings in beating my Niners—-at just about every facet of the game. Ponder was magnificent and the Viks played mostly mistake-free ball. Hopefully the Niners will bounce back and beat the Jets in NY.

Rovin on September 24, 2012 at 9:11 AM

SQUEALERS LOSE!!! SQUEALERS LOSE!!! SQUEALERS LOSE!!!

nimrod on September 24, 2012 at 9:15 AM

It warms my heart that “icing the kicker” utterly failed once again yesterday:

I think we ought to call the tactic a “Shanahan” in honor of Mike Shanahan, who loves it so (and had it blow up in his face last week). It’s like a “Mullagan”, except you give it to the other guy. :)

WannabeAnglican on September 24, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Rovin on September 24, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I still can’t figure the playcalling when on a 3rd and 2 at midfield they went with a shotgun play. It’s not as if they lack a good runner or two.

whatcat on September 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Morning, Ed. How’s that Silver and Black heartburn doing?

Hey, who would have believed that playing three quarters of penalty-free football helps earn a victory? I guess the Raiders finally got that memo.

IlikedAUH2O on September 23, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I agree, the Heyward-Bey hit was not vicious, but it was still a violation and should have been flagged. The “hit” on Ben’s legs was caused by a block in the back right in front of the Back Judge.

Freelancer on September 24, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Well, a little gloating. Dallas over Tampa Bay. Congrats to the Vikes — nice. Saturday was too painful to get very excited about Sunday. Sadly.

J.E. Dyer on September 24, 2012 at 1:20 PM