Gibbs: Boy I sure hope we can keep up with Romney at the debate

posted at 5:01 pm on September 23, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

We should be used to the “setting expectations game” by now, but during this week’s round of Sunday shows, Robert Gibbs may have taken the art form to a new, amateurish low. Referring to the upcoming presidential debates in October, the Mouthpiece-in-Chief prepared the nation for Obama’s verbal defeat at the hands of the much more experienced Mitt Romney.

“Mitt Romney I think has an advantage because he’s been through 20 of these debates in the primaries over the last year,” the former White House press secretary said on “Fox News Sunday.”

Romney, Gibbs said, “even bragged that he was declared the winner in 16 of those debates. So I think in that sense having been through this much more recently than President Obama, I think he starts with an advantage.”

Because even as wonderful as President Obama is in all things, the one thing he’s not really good at is, you know… talking.

Shortly after that, Bill Clinton appeared with Bob Scheifer on Face the Nation and, when asked how he thought Obama was doing in the election, said, “even if the debates are a draw, we should be OK.” (No link to video yet.)

What we’re seeing here is a pattern of painting Romney as some sort of Goliath of the debate stage, with Barack Obama as David, valiantly struggling to stand up for the little guy. This fits in well with the populist struggle that Obama’s team is trying to portray, and also builds in a bit of an insurance policy in case Mitt catches the President flat footed on questions of the economy, jobs and the Middle East.

But that’s never the deciding factor anyway. It all comes down to the moderators who, unfortunately, set the starting point for each exchange. And Mitt doesn’t have a history of simply smacking down the moderators when they go grossly out of bounds the way Gingrich does. And what will the questions be… at least the ones which will comprise the thirty second sound bites that come out of these shows?

Who here thinks it will take more than three questions for the phrase “47 percent” to pop up?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Best Video in the Entire World!!!

VorDaj on September 23, 2012 at 6:28 PM

He doesn’t mince words.

tom daschle concerned on September 23, 2012 at 7:06 PM

OT: Just saw a Romney commercial and American Crossroads anti-Obama commercial in the same commercial break segment during the Raiders-Steelers game (Northern VA). Hopefully, this is the start of the spending onslaught.

The Count on September 23, 2012 at 7:08 PM

drinking words for the debates:

Bush
inherited
jobs created

katablog.com on September 23, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I was having conversation Friday that maybe some October surprise will “Prevent” Obama from the first two debates.

OTTO on September 23, 2012 at 6:48 PM

He’s “too busy” to meet with his jobs council, intelligence briefings and heads of state – how can he possibly shoehorn in these debates?

Rebar on September 23, 2012 at 7:32 PM

yes, inherited from Bush is a 2 drink phrase.

Prediction: All conservatives will be totally bombed 15 minutes into the debate.

katablog.com on September 23, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Advantage Obama Regime, they have been given the questions from the leftist moderators.

Advantage Team Romney, they know the partisan questions to be asked by the leftist moderators.

Therefore, the media will say that it is a draw on all three debates.

jukin3 on September 23, 2012 at 7:33 PM

so, I assume that Kristol will vote Obama, just like half of the other ‘conservative’ pundits.

I find TWS elitist, insular, and ungenerous (that from personal experience*) but he won’t vote for Obama. I wonder why TWS is the last place to not accept comments. Not that it matters as the poobahson most blogs don’t actually even read the comments from you little people.

* I made this video on TWS article http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLe_p_OwjpE

No Niks on September 23, 2012 at 7:33 PM

It’s not Romney’s style to swat aside stupid debate questions a là Gingrich, but it would be appropriate for him to take a sidelong glance at the moderator after one of the more obviously inane ones and reply, “You know, I think this election is going to be as much a popular referendum on the media as it is on the record of this president.”

The media not only blatantly pushes Obama’s candidacy with its phony loaded polls, Romney gaffe-of-the week, and total blackout of the Obama foreign policy and domestic economy debacles, the media knows that we know they do this, andthey don’t care. In fact, they do it with smug defiance, because they know we can’t stop them.

One thing we can do, though, is push our own Narrative: this election is a referendum on the media. If Obama wins, the media’s going to take a victory lap with him anyway, so why not tie his defeat to them? The pundits have the perfect polling peg on which to hang this. Hope some of them will start writing “the media is deader than the Romney campaign” stories soon.

de rigueur on September 23, 2012 at 7:35 PM

drinking words for the debates:

Bush
inherited
jobs created

katablog.com on September 23, 2012 at 7:31 PM

O-S-A-M-A!!!!

The one and only thing to go right for America since late January 2009.

Did I mention OSAMA!!!!!!!!

jukin3 on September 23, 2012 at 7:35 PM

This should help! Thanks for the lay up Bill Kristol:

libfreeordie on September 23, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Add one more moron to the huge list of morons with no idea as to what caused the banking crisis of 2008 and the moribund economy ever since.

Basilsbest on September 23, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Can anyone explain to me why Romney would agree to go into the Lion’s Den with all moderators being liberal & outwardly pro Obama? The debates, as far as I know, aren’t required by law. Why didn’t his team negotiate to get a more even playing field? 2 liberals, 2 conservatives for the 4 debates.

Belle on September 23, 2012 at 7:37 PM

This up coming debate is a joke. The questions asked will be edited by both sides and Barry’s answers will be on the prompters as they always are during the press meetings except the journalists are numbered with their questions. They probably will veto any interruptions or it would nullify the answers on the prompter. If the rules of the debate are too strict count on Barry being called away to some important cause.

mixplix on September 23, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Anecdote: This has been niggling me in my mind. Gibbs has been reminding me of something in the deep of my mind ever since I first saw him. I’ve now pegged who after seeing this silly, mocking video.

He reminds of this nauseous chubby boy in childhood who was the pride of his mom, thought he was smarter than he actually was, and liked to bully those smaller or less popular than he. As a kid, he was the kind that acted tuff, but the type that whistled whenever he entered an empty room.

One day he was picking on someone younger and smaller, and I intervened (about 6-7 years old, I was)and was throwing rocks at him. I picked one up and hit him right in the eye with it on my first throw.

He ran crying to his mommy who promptly banged on our door for an apology. Heh! Didn’t work out too well for him when I explained to my parents and to his mom. She left quietly. Never saw the little piece of crap bullying anyone again.

…….that’s Gibbs’ type. I’ve finally remembered…..

avagreen on September 23, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Oops it posted before I was done.I did the video on the TWS article “The White House Cleanses Israel from Its Website”

It was so nice of them to embed the video….for 2 hours then presto it disappeared. Thanks guys.

And while I’m at it thanks American Crossroads for using my phrase Obama is “The Fourth Best President” with out crediting me. A Google search would have taken them 2 minutes. However, their video was great.

I don’t earn money from videos but that doesn’t mean I want bubkis.

No Niks on September 23, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Obama is a well practiced actor & speaker (with teleprompter) but I think in anything close to a real debate with Romney he’ll look inadequate with his pr-recorded platitudes & campaign gibberish. Romney is smarter and can think on his feet better. The public will see how hollow Obama is under Romney’s responses & retorts.

Chessplayer on September 23, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Sure, Gibbs. It’s not like O, a community organizer, a Harvard educated former attorney, a former senator, president of the US, leader of the free world, and commander in chief the past four years, ever had an opportunity to stand in front of a microphone or be interviewed. It’s of course not his fault those People Magazine interviews and Letterman appearances haven’t adequately prepared him to debate. He’s such an underdog.

Do these people ever listen to themselves?

Mayday on September 23, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Why lower expectations for the greatest orator in the world?

Obama the crowd-wower? Remember him?

Grown women fainting at the very sight of him? Smooth-talking, no-drama Odipstick? The guy who is supposed to be able to clean up on any opponent verbally any time, anywhere?

That fella chained to the teleprompter and giving the impression of being at a tennis match… him… Mr. Perfect beyond belief.

What happened to that feller? Mr. Splendiferous O’Smoothmouthsilkentongue who’s very utterances in a banal speech are supposed to last for the ages and be taught to every schoolchild for the rest of history? Him.

Why would ANYONE want to try and LOWER expectations for him?

Oh, wait, he has a RECORD now. And it sucks like an Electrolux.

ajacksonian on September 23, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Best Video in the Entire World!!!

VorDaj on September 23, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Pat Condell has numerous videos bashing Islam just like that one on YouTube. Be aware though that he is an atheist and many of his videos bash all religions–though he has a special hatred of Islam and those videos are awesome!

IrishEi on September 23, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Belle on September 23, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Yeah, it’s almost like someone might begin to wonder if he’s ‘conservative’ or really a ‘liberal’ that looks at that list and thinks, “hmm, not too bad’.

You know, kind of like a lot of us have been saying about him since, oh, maybe day 1 or so.

He’s our guy, don’t get me wrong – but please don’t continue to make the mistake of thinking he’s not a liberal.

Midas on September 23, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I guarantee these four things will occur during the debates:

*****************

1) They will be ‘moderated’ by a has-been journalist fossil du jour who should have retired decades ago. (You sure Jim Lehrer wasn’t replaced by a life-like robot back in 1996?) Thankfully, noted Obama cheerleader Gwen Ifill was excluded, but that’s like saying I put on a rain jacket before walking outside into a rainstorm.

*****************

2) Mitt will be serviceable; not that exciting, but outside of an egregious slip-up on policy (which IS scarily in the realm of possibility) he won’t have a Rick Perry-like collapse. The wild card is not having actively participated in a televised debate for several months, which wouldn’t be an issue if it weren’t for the fact that…

*****************

3) Obama won’t shut up, and will monopolize the airtime as best he can. He’ll spew so many lies about Mitt and make a host of false promises that it will be virtually impossible for Mitt to keep up. The Dems will buy into whatever he says, hook, line, and sinker, and will consider anything Mitt says to be the handiwork of Satan. It just is. End of story.

*****************

4) Obama will be ‘deemed’ the unanimous winner by the MSM as they conclude, and ‘polls’ will be conducted manipulated and bastardized to follow that declaration as best they can. It’s all in their continuous push to aid and abet the Obama campaign.

*****************

So there you have it. Oh, and Robert Fibbs will always continue to be a worthless gasbag of a failure.

Myron Falwell on September 23, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Belle on September 23, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Simple. Mitt’s campaign wanted absolutely nothing to do with Tingles Matthews, and Obama’s campaign refused to be on the same stage with Chris Wallace. Both were offered by the debate committee.

Myron Falwell on September 23, 2012 at 8:46 PM

de rigueur on September 23, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Bloody brilliant, de rigueur. Thank you.

Anifin on September 23, 2012 at 9:02 PM

drinking words for the debates:

Bush
inherited
jobs created

katablog.com on September 23, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Don’t even suggest that! The emergency rooms will be packed with people suffering alcohol poisoning . . .

tpitman on September 23, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Robert Gibbs is actually Peter Griffin with glasses and a $3,000 suit. To call him a douche would be an insult to perfectly good douches.

hillbillyjim on September 23, 2012 at 9:28 PM

There are so many clubs that Romney can beat 0bama with, I’m surprised that 0bama doesn’t simply refuse to debate.

Rebar on September 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM

If Obama feels threatened by a debate, I wouldn’t be surprised if he does refuse due to a manufactured crisis: another embassy burning or international protest, etc. Dodging the debate would prevent him from looking like a fool, and appear more like a “leader.”

Pazman on September 23, 2012 at 9:47 PM

OF@ckhead will hold his own in the debates because he is such a skilled LIAR!

And you know what you call someone who LIES to cover their butt, and who will never admit to their mistakes?

You call them THIS

NOMOBO on September 23, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Romney just has to look presidential and sound competent.

monalisa on September 23, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Obama vs Obamalite in the “Romneybamacare debates 2012″

“I’m going to save Medicare!”
“No, I’M going to save Medicare!”

It will be a sad sight watching both of these clowns on stage together.

nottakingsides on September 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM

hillbillyjim on September 23, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Family Guy is one of the worst shows on TV. I have never laughed at a single joke. Terrible writing and terrible artwork. I still don’t know why Rush even thought it was a good idea to cameo on it – twice.

Fibbs is actually funny in comparison, albeit he doesn’t TRY to. But he’s just too much of a brainwashed Socialist drone to tell the difference.

Myron Falwell on September 23, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Myron Falwell on September 23, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I agree. If you’ve seen one episode, basically you’ve seen all there is to see. I made it through one entire episode once. Never again.

hillbillyjim on September 23, 2012 at 10:42 PM

The first time B.O. says, in the debate, that he “inherited this mess”, and M.R. doesn’t reply with “Sir, you inherited this mess (partly) from the Democratic controlled Congress, in which you were apart of, and enjoyed for the first two years of your Presidency, which you squandered on the Obamacare. The blame is entirely on you and the Democratic Congress sir, and to try and put the blame on someone else is … well … misleading the citizens of this Great Nation”
I will facepalm and turn off the tube (flat screen).
This pitch will come in the first inning, and if Mitt can’t hit a slow one over the strike zone, then he needs to go back to the Minors.
All of B.O.’s achievements have been from policies or programs put into place by the former Administration. All of his failures are from policies and programs put into place by his Administrations.
It is just that simple. Know the facts, recite the facts. He can’t argue them.
I feel M.R. also needs to find a path back to the most recent death of the Ambassador in one of the first questions. This has got to be an Achilies Heel for B.O., and one to work on during the debate.
But I am expecting a McCain redeux. Guess I am taking Fibb’s lead on this.

Whiterock on September 23, 2012 at 11:16 PM

nottakingsides on September 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Thank you, crappy little DNC concern troll

TexasJew on September 24, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Obama is kinda sorta like David. One was small, the other small minded.

WeekendAtBernankes on September 24, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Myron Falwell on September 23, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I’m with you, Family Guy is awful. Be honest though, you didn’t have at least a chuckle over “Sorry Johnny, it costs 13 tickets to live,” “That joke was lamer than FDR’s legs,” or the cast of Dawson’s Creek singing “I don’t wanna wait, for our lives to be over,” while their plane crashes?

WeekendAtBernankes on September 24, 2012 at 1:43 AM

drinking words for the debates:

Bush
inherited
jobs created

katablog.com on September 23, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Along with

I
Me
Uhhhh
Let me be clear
I think

MikeA on September 24, 2012 at 7:03 AM

Obama could micturate on the carpet during the debates and the press would declare him the winner.

CrustyB on September 24, 2012 at 7:59 AM