Do the police have rights too?

posted at 12:31 pm on September 23, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

At first glance it looks like something out of an Orwellian horror film. Police with high power weapons and riot shields shutting down an intersection on a busy city street, rousting families out of cars, handcuffing them all and lining them up on the pavement. But in this case, there was a method to the mayhem. An unknown individual wearing a beekeeper’s mask – hiding not only their identity, race, age, etc. but their gender as well – had robbed a nearby bank and the police were out to get the bad guy.

The Wells Fargo at Chambers and Hampden was robbed just before closing time on Saturday. Shortly afterwards police shut down the intersection of Buckley and Iliff just southeast of the bank, corralling nearly two dozen cars in search for the suspect.

Police Chief Daniel Oates on Monday apologized to the innocent bystanders that got caught up in the search for the suspect. Oates also said the ends justify the means since the suspect was caught.

The police are still apologizing for the inconvenience and trauma to all of the motorists caught up in the sweep, but insist that there was no question of the location of the suspect.

“We had a virtual certainty that the bank robber was in one of those cars,” Oates said.

Officers did find the suspect in one of the cars, and he will likely face bank robbery charges in federal court, Oates said. Investigators also found a beekeeper mask they say the man wore during the robbery as well as two pistols connected to the crime, he said.

So how did they have a “virtual certainty” that the bank robber would be found at that location? The bank teller had inserted a GPS device in the bag of money they gave the suspect and the police were tracking him. When it became obvious that the getaway car was approaching a choke point in the traffic, officials moved in, shut it down and began methodically going through every car at that intersection. And they found the guy, who the police described as “extraordinarily dangerous.”

But now some of the motorists are raising questions as to whether their civil rights were violated with the mass detention. And adding insult to injury, the lawyer for the suspect is already claiming that his client initially refused the police demand to search his vehicle until he felt “pressured” to do so and that all the evidence obtained from the search – money, guns, beekeeper mask – should be thrown out. (No link on that portion of the story yet, but CNN is covering it on their morning lineup.) Seriously?

I hope there is a judge out there with the common sense to toss this notion out to the curb. Yes, many people were inconvenienced, and the police have already offered an apology. But the cops were in the process of quickly apprehending a violent, heavily armed felon right in their midst. And as to the suspect’s claims of some sort of illegal search… how high does that bar have to be? If you can narrow down the location of the evidence to a group of twenty or so cars, is that not “probably cause” enough?

If this guy walks, the world has truly gone mad.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

But I bet you that we would be hearing a totally different argument from many of these currently pro police people.

astonerii on September 23, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Are you enforcing the law or not?

If the Fed will not enforce Federal Law, then……

…..and I do not particularly like cops.

98ZJUSMC on September 23, 2012 at 9:35 PM

He may be a cop, but he’s also either psychotic, or drunk, or a thirteen-year-old in bed with his parents downstairs while he acts out.

flicker on September 23, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Could be. I’m leaning toward not yet a cop, but probably wants to be one when he graduates high school.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Come f–k around on my beat when I’m working and let’s see how you feel post 10-16, cupcake.

I got something for you I know you’d like.

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Just saying… no real job would say stuff like that knowing it could (should) cost him his job.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 9:36 PM

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Like – a reason? As in “just give me a…”?

affenhauer on September 23, 2012 at 9:36 PM

job = cop. sorry, also watching the patriots game.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 9:36 PM

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:34 PM

He could buy 10 of you for a hundred bucks and you’d run like the sissy you are.

rightwingyahooo on September 23, 2012 at 9:38 PM

heh. your streets, you don’t have the money to gas up your car, and don’t own a damn thing except a pair of shrunken nuts.

you cops run at the first sign of a real fight, just like you did in LA 92.

We are better off without your parasitic a$$. We can do your job better than you can anyway, ladyboy.

rightwingyahooo on September 23, 2012 at 9:30 PM

That’s right, Harvey Milquetoast — My Streets. Well — when I am working they are my streets. My streets — not yours. Mine.

Don’t think so? Hmm — many men and women still doing their stretches in the joint — and who will be for some many years to come — wholeheartedly agree with me.

Wanna join them? I can show you how. Or — you can keep flapping that cakehole of yours with absolutely NOTHING and NO WAY to back it up. Unlike me — who can toss your arse in the clink whether it suits me to do so or not.

bahahahaha

My. Streets.

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:38 PM

bahahahaha

My. Streets.

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Yes, the streets belong to the cops, not the people. We all acknowledge that. What’s your point?

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 9:40 PM

rightwingyahooo on September 23, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Mmmmm Hmmmmm. He could buy 10 Sissy boys — for his pleasure. That’s right — he’s a 1%’er. Occupy him, sissy boys.

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I made my point, Timmy. I made it to the person whom I was addressing — which was not you. Kthxbye, Timmy.

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:41 PM

InterestedObserver on September 23, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I agreed with you on this one. I was just saying, the idea that detaining two people or more for the same crime perpetrated by a single one can and is justifiable…

The whole idea of what they did and how they did it goes against what I thought America stood for.

astonerii on September 23, 2012 at 9:42 PM

My. Streets.

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:38 PM

You don’t work anything but a box of doughnuts, and a queer magazine in your patrol car my salary pays for.

When you can gas up your own vehicle on your own cash, you can run your mouth, if you can do it without having a heart attack.

Boss. Officer neckfat.

rightwingyahooo on September 23, 2012 at 9:42 PM

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I’m sorry — are we talking about me? Because while I hope to some day be a 1%er, I’m not there yet. I just live below my means and save money every month. I drive an older car that I’ve paid off, live in a cheap apartment in a marginal neighborhood, and work two jobs. And I’ve been harassed by enough cops to know to not trust them.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 9:42 PM

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I do not know what you point was. Was it that you can shout and attack and provide not a single bit of information to back up what your arguing? If so, point taken and earned. Good job, very good job.

astonerii on September 23, 2012 at 9:43 PM

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Oh, alright. Bye then? Thanks for your unsolicited intellectual contributions, I’m sure they’ll be missed.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I got something for you I know you’d like.

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Oooo. I would be offended by this except I think he’s really a 13-year-old whose just found his first pubic hair and thinks this is how a man acts.

flicker on September 23, 2012 at 9:43 PM

astonerii on September 23, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I mean I guess we probably shouldn’t feed the trolls. It just encourages them. Long story short on this article: cops were wrong, 4th amendment still applies.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Just saying… no real job cop would say stuff like that knowing it could (should) cost him his job.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Yet — here I am — a ‘real cop’ — saying it. Saying it all. Out loud. To the whole world.

Now — what are you going to do about it, sweetheart?

pffffft

Nothing. Free speech is for everyone, chump. Including cops and robbers.

Like I said — you jackholes don’t know sh-t but you just gotta work those cakeholes anyway — dontchya.

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Does ‘feed the troll’ equate to playing ‘whack-a-troll’?

affenhauer on September 23, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Now — what are you going to do about it, sweetheart?

pffffft

Nothing. Free speech is for everyone, chump. Including cops and robbers.

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Well, then for your sake, I truly hope your superior officer doesn’t read any of that. If you are a cop, honestly, do yourself a favor and chill out. Nobody wants to see a blog cost someone their job. Threatening to taze people and making claims about “your streets” is now how a professional should think, much less what they should post to a public internet forum.
You seem to have a very short temper, and if that’s the case (and you are a real cop), maybe that’s not the best line of work for you.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Does ‘feed the troll’ equate to playing ‘whack-a-troll’?

affenhauer on September 23, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I don’t know, I’m still feeding it … can’t take my own advice I guess

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Let’s see you flash your badge and talk your crap around a few guys who break the law for a living, and don’t like people like you too much.

Any fatass cop can get his little pebbles off craptalking a civilian with a job.

Let’s see you bring the nasty on someone who has nothing to lose.

I bet you call for backup, ladyboy. Quickly too.

rightwingyahooo on September 23, 2012 at 9:50 PM

And I’ve been harassed by enough cops to know to not trust them.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 9:42 PM

The po-po just arbitrarily ‘harassed’ you ‘enough times’ with absolutely no input from you to the point you just can’t trust them anymore. Just — out of the blue and they arbitrarily harangued you and detained you so very many times. And — you were just a lil ol’ innocent lamb, too. Right?

Haysoos — that mouthful of claptrap filthy lying is as old as saying you were just holding ‘it’ for a friend — honest.

Are you black by chance? Cuz — then — maybe I could believe it. But it would still be a leap of faith.

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Police officers today are improperly trained. The focus is on taking control of a scene so as to reduce the danger to officers. Civilians are assumed to be hostiles until proven innocent.

This whole incident stinks of this attitude.

Now putting up a road block around a chock point to catch a fleeing criminal is certainly well within police authority. Whether it was wise or not in this instance, it is a legitimate tactic. I have no problem with this roadblock being followed by a search of the vehicles.

What I have a problem with is the handcuffing of innocent civilians while the police do this. It’s outrageous. It cannot be defended or accepted. The only reason to do it is that the police do not trust their own citizens. Police and citizens are supposed to be on the same side.

How does placing handcuffs on a bunch of citizens for being in the wrong place and the wrong time make anyone safer? There is no rational way that makes anyone safer. The idea that chaining someone up is no big deal and just a small inconvenience is absolutely crazy, and completely un-American.

The worst of it is that this is self-defeating. Police officers are safest when the ordinary citizen trusts police officers, cooperate with them, and follow police instructions. But trust is a two way street. If the police insist on handcuffing people for no good reason, citizens will learn to distrust the police, will not cooperate with them, and will not obey police instructions.

Police actions that cultivate distrust by the law abiding citizenry result in far more danger to the police then anything that can be mitigated by handcuffing a bunch of innocents for two hours.

Just search each car as in the roadblock, and then let them go once they pass inspection. It’s not that hard. It gets the innocent citizens out of the way, while ensuring the criminal is captured, and doesn’t offend normal citizens.

This whole incident is stupid as well as disturbing.

Sackett on September 23, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Let’s see you bring the nasty on someone who has nothing to lose.

I bet you call for backup, ladyboy. Quickly too.

rightwingyahooo on September 23, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Blah blah blah — what a dork.

I’m a cop. You’re not. I win. You lose. Problem?

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Nobody wants to see a blog cost someone their job.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 9:48 PM

If in fact he is a cop, then he clearly shouldn’t be.

sharrukin on September 23, 2012 at 9:54 PM

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Yep. Never been convicted of anything, only charged with minor stuff (minor in possession of alcohol, failure to yield at a yield sign). And yeah, I’m white, clean cut, drive a reasonable vehicle, and other then my yield sign fiasco, have never had a traffic citation (I’m a pretty safe driver).

Sometimes being young in the “wrong” neighborhood (or driving in certain parts of the country with out of state plates) is all it takes.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Strange thread this has become.

McDuck on September 23, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Who is this guy? He’s not a cop. I’ve never met a cop this low, and I’ve met a few ignorant cops. He’s on the Obama campaign? It’s amazing how fruity people can get when they’re on-line and no one can see you face. It’s sad that anyone can think this is civilized behavior.

And it would make me sympathize with his co-workers, but…

My guess: 13-year-old, drunk for the first time, and very angry at his daddy.

flicker on September 23, 2012 at 9:55 PM

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I submitted your posts here to the
You should be open and proud of yourself and let them know who you are, to make it easier on them.

astonerii on September 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Ha. That’s rich. After 4-pages of sh-t heels flapping their cakeholes about stuff they know nothing of — I need to do myself a ‘favor’ and ‘chill out’.

You got it all wrong — and backwards too — Timmy boy.

But that’s par for the course ’round these parts. You know — where the sh-t heels spend their time.

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Well, to be fair, I did refuse a search twice after 2 different times cops told me they smelled weed in my vehicle which I knew was bogus (I don’t smoke weed). Both times dogs came, didn’t alert, and I was free to go.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Does ‘feed the troll’ equate to playing ‘whack-a-troll’?

affenhauer on September 23, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Well, it’s a new one. Wonder if it’s somebodies sock squirreled away for one of these types of threads. Pretty much all abuse and no substance. The comments it is making would get it fired from any police department if it dared provide its name. If it is a real cop, you are seeing real ‘roid rage. IIRC, the last video we saw of that and the officer in question is now in a new line of work.

/for those curious, I’m using cheeseballs.

AZfederalist on September 23, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I submitted your posts here to the

astonerii on September 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Woooo. Good job there, sparky.

You submitted my posts to the National Law Enforcement Memorial in Washington D.C.

Yeah man — them there D.C. memorial staff sure does gots a lotta stroke in these hear poleece departments frum coste-to-coste. (i tried to write that so you could understand it. did i do okay?)

Jesus man — do you tie your own shoes too — or does mommy still do that for you as well?

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:59 PM

You got it all wrong — and backwards too — Timmy boy.

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Sure… Well I read most, not all, of the comments. And yeah a lot of big mouths hang out at this blog. But that doesn’t give you an excuse to become this agitated and irate. I feel bad for anyone who happens to question your authority by asserting their rights while interacting with you and your ilk.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Isn’t it unethical to feed a troll on the same thread that you whack a troll?

flicker on September 23, 2012 at 10:01 PM

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Considering the fact that I let them know your name links to them and that your acting as if you represent their views… I think they might not enjoy your joke.

astonerii on September 23, 2012 at 10:01 PM

But you belong to me when you are on my streets. Don’t think so? I have 30 years of satisfactorily dealing with peons like you that says otherwise.

Problem?

Don’t leave the house then. Now you’re safe as can be, cupcake.

FlatFoot
on September 23, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Are Government employees (includes, but not limited to police) assuming the role of shepherds, and imposing on the rest of us the role of sheep?

listens2glenn on September 23, 2012 at 10:02 PM

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I hear cops have really bad attitudes… That knock at the door, might be one that has the ability to track you.

astonerii on September 23, 2012 at 10:03 PM

The reasoning seems easy enough to follow, so it was a reasonable search and constitutional. The same technology will be misused at some point where they will use the gps vicinity premise to do an illegal sweep on a group, so you don’t want to move along too hastily when these things happen.

It would have been a big mess if the robber blended in with a crowd of people from a grievance demographic. You’d want to wait till a white family enters the crowd before going in for the bust so you can put them in handcuffs and that will smooth out the optics of it.

Buddahpundit on September 23, 2012 at 10:03 PM

/for those curious, I’m using cheeseballs.
AZfederalist on September 23, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I was actually thinking a lot of abuse of a lot of substances…

affenhauer on September 23, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Isn’t it unethical to feed a troll on the same thread that you whack a troll?

flicker on September 23, 2012 at 10:01 PM

No, I don’t think you can feed one on its first appearance. [grabs manual, flip,flip, ah here it is]. Nope, first thread in which a troll appears, all actions are just whacking the troll. Any engagements in subsequent threads then become known as feeding the troll. (Chapter 3 Section 15 paragraph 42.e.1 subsection 1, subparagraph ii)

AZfederalist on September 23, 2012 at 10:04 PM

astonerii on September 23, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Wow. And the wonder of it all — just how many cops out there call themselves — or are called — such an innocuous and heretofore unheard of nickname in the annals of history as “Flatfoot”.

It’s so unique.

LmaO

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM

AZfederalist on September 23, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Thanks for clearing that up for us all. I know I personally was facing a feed / whacking dilemma. haha

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 10:06 PM

It’s so unique.

LmaO

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Yeah, it’s like trying to track down a supposed cop who’s known as or who refers to himself as a “dick” …too many possible suspects.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 10:07 PM

It’s so unique.

LmaO

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Hey, sites like this keep records of the IP address you sign up from and each post made. If your ramblings as if you are a cop offends one of them… the real cops. Well, they might take a personal interest in you… A very very personal interest in you.

astonerii on September 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Let me get this straight. This (probably certified) nutcase thinks his posts on this site have shown us the error of our thinking and that cops really are thoughtful, capable, ethical enforcers of the law. Kind of makes the opposite point.

Or else he’s just posing and is trying to support our point by faking being such a psycho.

I still say: 13y/o, drunk and unsupervised.

flicker on September 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Don’t worry — in just a couple of short years I will be retired at an early age — with a very generous (read: grandiose) retirement, insurance, and pension package that will keep me living a healthy life of comfort, ease, and plenty of time to do just about anything I want to for the rest of my life.

Ahhhhh — it’s good to be The King. Well — King of the Streets anyway. Good enough for government work!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nite nite, girls.

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 10:09 PM

astonerii on September 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM

C’mon now, that’s what they do to us. We don’t need to stoop to that level.

I still say: 13y/o, drunk and unsupervised.

flicker on September 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I definitely wouldn’t bet against you.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 10:09 PM

C’mon now, that’s what they do to us. We don’t need to stoop to that level.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Eh, its ok, i would never bother a memorial service for someone like him… Just getting him to leave is good enough. Fear is useful.

The reality is that cops are a vengeful group.

astonerii on September 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 10:07 PM

You say he’s Hotair’s house dick?

AZfederalist on September 23, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Thanks for clearing that up. And making me laugh out loud.

flicker on September 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Damn . . . . . he never did answer my question . . . . .

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:26 PM

listens2glenn on September 23, 2012 at 10:02 PM

listens2glenn on September 23, 2012 at 10:15 PM

The reality is that cops are a vengeful group.

astonerii on September 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Yeah, no I totally agree. I just don’t believe that guy is actually a cop. Cops tend to preface everything with “ITS FOR YOUR AND SOCIETIES GOOD,” and don’t blatantly threaten to taze people and say they run the streets, etc etc.

Cops mostly buy in to their own bull that we’re all a bunch of lying, guilty idiots who need protecting by a benevolent and powerful government in which they’re doing gods work.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 10:15 PM

listens2glenn on September 23, 2012 at 10:15 PM

He passed out.

flicker on September 23, 2012 at 10:16 PM

listens2glenn on September 23, 2012 at 10:02 PM

listens2glenn on September 23, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Duh. They don’t phrase it that way, but yeah, that’s exactly how they see themselves. Allows them to finally feel smart and powerful.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 10:16 PM

listens2glenn on September 23, 2012 at 10:15 PM

10pm east coast time, his beddy bye time, or I scared him away… I am sorry if it is the latter.

astonerii on September 23, 2012 at 10:16 PM

astonerii on September 23, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Well in fairness to him, it is getting a little late for a work night. Definitely makes me feel old to say that though.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I went to college with a guy who later became a police officer. He actually does fit that description, at least in college he talked like that. I was about to ask if it was him…

astonerii on September 23, 2012 at 10:18 PM

No, anyone who would brag in such a way is a right-wing provocateur having fun.

flicker on September 23, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Of course cops have rights — the same rights to be secure in their safety and personal effects that all citizens have. What we are really discussiong here is police powers, not “rights” in the sense of inalienable human rights. Let’s at least get the verbiage right before we start a pissing match.

gryphon202 on September 23, 2012 at 10:19 PM

listens2glenn on September 23, 2012 at 10:15 PM

astonerii on September 23, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Well … as long as you’re sorry enough, that’s all that matters.

But if it happens again, I’ll have to taze you . . . . . bro’.

listens2glenn on September 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Then again, James Holmes, the Joker shooter, may have posted like that. Will Ed notify the authorities?

flicker on September 23, 2012 at 10:21 PM

But if it happens again, I’ll have to taze you . . . . . bro’.

listens2glenn on September 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM

My wife already did that to me. 4 times!. She sure thinks it is funny. its not really that bad. Compared to a migraine, it is tolerable.

astonerii on September 23, 2012 at 10:21 PM

astonerii on September 23, 2012 at 10:18 PM

haha yeah. I know a couple of guys from my high school who are now cops. Both were ‘tough guys’ who liked the fight when they were drunk. Neither was incredibly bright, but the one that I’ve talked to recently said being a cop “gave his life meaning” because he was “protecting people” and “making a difference.” While his motives may be mixed / good, I think he just buys in to whatever they tell him at the police academy.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 10:21 PM

listens2glenn on September 23, 2012 at 10:02 PM

The government who makes the laws and procedures that oversee us and guides us make you sheep.

You’re just my beotch.

astonerii on September 23, 2012 at 10:16 PM

If you had been paying even a little attention — instead of sending little tattle-tale notes to police memorial staff in Washington, D.C. [LmfaO] — you’d know I am on the West coast, dummy. I’m just getting ready to head out to have some fun. You know — to throw people in jail and inconvenience them becuase it’s GOOD TO BE THE KING — of the streets. Also — scared? I AM! OH THE HUGE MANATEE!

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 10:22 PM

bahahahaha

My. Streets.

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Well, that attitude pretty well epitomizes why law-abiding citizens like myself have reluctantly come to never trust the cops. I myself experienced a completely unjustified, and physically and mentally abusive 3-hour search, interrogation and shakedown in my underwear because I was staying in a hotel where someone smelled someone else smoking weed in their room. I was in a non-smoking room (lifelong non-smoker), and hadn’t even seen anyone smoke weed in over 25 years.

So, yeah, it’s not generally a good relationship between cops and middle-age white guy law-abiding citizens these days, and it’s not the fault of the citizens. To paraphrase Eddie Murphy in 48 Hours, this about sums up my experience with the cops here: “I’m your worst nightmare – I’m a ni**a with a badge!” And none of the six cops invading my room with guns drawn were black. That kind of trauma never goes away, and outside a couple of speeding tickets in my 20′s, that was about the only interaction I’ve ever had with cops. So, ‘scuuuuuse me if I question a cop’s motives.

Harbingeing on September 23, 2012 at 10:23 PM

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Okay, go out, have fun. Seriously, you’re not adding to the discussion and you’re just being a jackass. Whether you are or aren’t a cop doesn’t really matter. No one wants to hear it.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 10:24 PM

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Mommy let him stay up latter. How precious.

astonerii on September 23, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I visited with my brother-in-law in the hospital this afternoon. he’s retired Illinois State Police.

I told him about that. he said, “That’s excessive.”

He understandably is ready to defend police officers, so for him to say just that much is really saying a lot.

davidk on September 23, 2012 at 10:24 PM

What we are really discussiong here is police powers, not “rights” gryphon202 on September 23, 2012 at 10:19 PM

No, to be secure in our persons and free from warrantless searches are enumerated rights.

flicker on September 23, 2012 at 10:25 PM

This is some entertaining reading.

FlatFoot is such a good little junior fascist! Does it bother you that you take more from the government than you give, FF?

ggoofer on September 23, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 10:24 PM

The only I’ve been doing is what you’ve been doing — in reverse. Trolling the trolls. Don’t like it? Tough nuts. LoL

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 10:26 PM

flicker on September 23, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 9:35 PM

More like Liz Warren, a member of the Wannabee tribe.

whatcat on September 23, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Harbingeing on September 23, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I’m sorry to hear that happened to you, but as someone who’s gone through a similar experience, I’m glad to see people are beginning to realize what we’ve allowed our police forces to become and that the citizenry is no longer blindly trusting someone just because they wear a piece of tin on their chest.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 10:27 PM

flicker on September 23, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Exactly. But those are rights all citizens have. Cops don’t have a different set of rights because they’re cops. They are bound by the same laws that we all are. That’s all I’m saying, unless it’s true that we are no longer a nation of laws, but a nation of men (which I’m beginning to kind of wonder).

gryphon202 on September 23, 2012 at 10:28 PM

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 10:26 PM

The only people here trolling are the pro coppers… The rest of us are using facts and reality.

astonerii on September 23, 2012 at 10:28 PM

ggoofer on September 23, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Don’t we ALL get back more than we give?

The only real difference is — I earned mine. In spades. Don’t like it? Tough nuts. It is what it is and I’m locked into a 110% of pay and full medical and dental when I retire soon. Does that upset you? Good. It should. But it’s still mine and not yours.

BAHAHAHAHAHA

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 10:29 PM

There’s absolutely no way that I would ever consent to a search of my vehicle. I don’t care how much pressure I get from the cops.

blink on September 23, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I’d encourage everyone out there to take this attitude. If we all refuse (which I’ve done twice, and encourage my friends and family to do as well) illegal searches when we’re innocent of any crimes, maybe we can make a difference by forcing the cops to follow the law and not use intimidation tactics to get what they want.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I think there absolutely are some cops in every precinct that are drunk on their own power. Not all of them. Maybe not even most. I don’t know. But I do think there are some. I think there’s a far larger percentage of cops who, while not necessarily abusive, do become hardened and cynical over years of wondering if all the work they do really makes a difference.

gryphon202 on September 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 10:29 PM

The mod ate my first comment to you.

If you are or are not a cop, I hope our paths cross someday.

I don’t suffer a bully.

davidk on September 23, 2012 at 10:31 PM

astonerii on September 23, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Oh. By the way — anybody ever tell you that your blog really sucks?

It does. It sucks. Hard. Bigtime.

Yikes. Gotta go. Nite nite punkin. Sleep tight.

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 10:31 PM

If you are or are not a cop, I hope our paths cross someday.

I don’t suffer a bully.

davidk on September 23, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Come get some.

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 10:32 PM

BAHAHAHAHAHA

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Dude, previously to my current career, I worked in a much more dangerous profession then a cop — construction. Way more injuries and deaths in that industry then for LEOs. Also, the vast majority of injuries / deaths with cops are the same as they are with truckers and anyone else who drives around all day — traffic accidents. Very few cops are seriously wounded or shot while dealing with criminals.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 10:32 PM

wow, Flatfoot. You’re sounding more and more like a psycho teamsters union thug with every post. Seriously. I know a lot of them and you sound like you’re part of the problem. Do you even read your own posts?

Harbingeing on September 23, 2012 at 10:32 PM

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 10:31 PM

yeah, people who cannot face truth do…

astonerii on September 23, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Come get some.

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 10:32 PM

The only e-peen visible from space.

tom daschle concerned on September 23, 2012 at 10:34 PM

gryphon202 on September 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Yeah, I go back and forth on this one. I think it’s probably a minority (albeit a largish, and not really discouraged one) that acts in a tough guy, bust skulls, ends justify the means way. However, I strongly believe that the majority are more interested in covering for their partners / buddies / whatever, or “cynical” about their jobs, and just let it happen.

When something does break through that wall of blue, and cops are occasionally caught doing something illegal, first the other cops circle the wagon, then they claim that “you can’t judge all cops based on the action of one bad apple.” Well, maybe not… but how many “good cops” knew what the “bad apple” was up to and didn’t stop it? Is that really any better?

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 10:35 PM

If you are or are not a cop, I hope our paths cross someday.
I don’t suffer a bully.
davidk on September 23, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Then it would pretend to be a four star General and threaten to send an entire division after you!

whatcat on September 23, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I come from a relatively small town. I don’t think the blue wall of silence is a very big factor here, but there have been a couple of incidents over the past few years in our local police department (in a city of about pop. 27,000) that have made me think, “How can they get away with handling it like that?” It’s bound to happen any time you give a small group of human beings authority over a larger population.

gryphon202 on September 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM

listens2glenn on September 23, 2012 at 10:02 PM

You’re just my beotch.

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Thanks for clearing that up . . . . . I can sleep better, now.

listens2glenn on September 23, 2012 at 10:40 PM

gryphon202 on September 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I live in medium sized town (60k’ish) bordering a smallish city (100,000 + population). Both departments do highly questionable things. Whenever cops do something sketchy, they are investigated by internal affairs and cleared. I don’t think I’ve EVER heard of an internal affairs investigation turning a cop over to the DA or even firing him. And unfortunately, these investigations tend to pop up a LOT.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 10:42 PM

FlatFoot on September 23, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Well, dingle dick, you can post your name and badge number here and prove us all wrong and you can also be whomever you want to be on~line Sally boy.
Clearly, you don’t have the cajones for that though aka you’re not really a police officer.

Poseur.

DevilsPrinciple on September 23, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Wheres the popcorn for this one! I believe there will be some interesting case law from this.

TX-96 on September 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Well, to give you a couple of examples of incidents that happened here in my hometown:

Just a couple of months ago, a young patrol cop was in his vehicle chasing someone who was on foot and eluding him. The cop in question was doing 60 MPH in a residential zone (20 mph speed limit) and ran into another cop car before fish-tailing and running into an apartment building. Done jumped the curb right into the yard. The officer was fired for not following proper procedure. One girl on a ride-along in the other car was injured somewhat seriously, but not critically.

HOWEVER…

A few years ago, I believe in early 2008, though I’m not sure exactly when, our local police force’s equivalent of a SWAT team was going on a drug raid. They forcibly entered a house in full gear with weapons drawn, and one of the officers shot his fellow officer in the hip. There was no way of knowing at the time, but the house was vacant — and of course, police officers, especially SWAT, are NOT EVER instructed to shoot to injure; they shoot to kill. The fact that Detective Schnabel was wounded in a limb rather than a vital was really no more than dumb blind luck. On the other hand, the detective that shot Detective Schnabel is still employed, and still carries a service firearm. I have the “honor” of serving him lunch every so often at my current place of employment; needless to say, I have to make an effort to hold my tongue.

gryphon202 on September 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM

gryphon202 on September 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Now, I will state that my most recent interaction with a police officer was pleasant. I had to go out and was on my way home when I pulled up next to a patrol car while waiting for a light. He pulled behind me and followed me; I knew I hadn’t done anything, so didn’t worry. He pulled me over after making a left turn. Turns out that he saw my cracked windshield and issued a warning for that (I really think it was a slow night and he needed to make contacts). I was carrying and appropriately informed him of such; he took my firearm during the stop, unloaded it and returned it to me when he was done. He first asked me to wait to reload until he left, then stated I could go ahead as he headed back to his car. He further made the statement that he wished more citizens would take responsibility for their own safety and was fully supportive of CCW. I have no issues with interactions like that.

AZfederalist on September 23, 2012 at 10:55 PM

gryphon202 on September 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Well kudos to you for holding your tongue. There’s not much we can do about it, but at least his trigger happiness only injured someone and didn’t kill an innocent bystander.

Recently in my neck of the woods, an off duty cop was hauling down a back road and hit & killed a kid. Responding officers called his dad (who was also a cop) who got him out of there and covered it up… long story short, it comes out there were witnesses who said he was drinking heavily at a bar, possibly doing in excess of 60 mph in a 25 mph zone, and he ended up losing his job, his dad was suspended (with pay) for like 30 days. The department only did that after months of outcry from the community. Their first response was to let the cop back on duty with a slap on the wrist for driving too fast for conditions.

Still… Not too bad of an outcome for something that would end up landing the rest of us in jail for 5 + years.

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 10:58 PM

[routine and fairly pleasant traffic stop redacted for brevity] I have no issues with interactions like that.

AZfederalist on September 23, 2012 at 10:55 PM

And neither do I. I’m 34 years old, and the only infraction that either of my parents have been stopped for has been tail lights out. I think living in a smaller municipality makes all the difference in the world.

gryphon202 on September 23, 2012 at 10:59 PM

AZfederalist on September 23, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Don’t even get me started on having a carry license in CT ….

Timin203 on September 23, 2012 at 10:59 PM

BTW, did ya’ll notice that this story occurred June 4 of this year? Kind of late breaking news, ya think?

AZfederalist on September 23, 2012 at 11:00 PM