Should there be early voting?

posted at 7:01 pm on September 22, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Early voting has begun in the 2012 election and some people, like our friend Matt Lewis, seem to think that’s a bad thing. Being opposed to extended voting opportunities is an idea which immediately sets off alarms for me, but it’s worth a moment to examine it as election day approaches.

Matt’s responding to an NBC News story which proclaims that nearly half the nation is already voting. Of course, that figure seems to include absentee ballots, which are not technically “early voting” since they won’t be recorded until election day. Also, there are plenty of people (especially our troops serving overseas) who have no other access to the ballot, so I would hope people aren’t protesting that.

But Matt is more focused on the places where the polls open days – if not weeks – in advance and in person voting is taking place. Follow the link for the full explanation of each, but here are the five points he’s making.

1. It doesn’t work
2. Voters are casting ballots before they have all the information
3. The cost — both to the taxpayer and the campaigns
4. Ballot integrity
5. Community

Item number one isn’t even worth a lengthy debate, in my opinion. The study in question relies on torturing the data with so many vague and glossy “variables” to arrive at a number – rather than just counting the number of votes cast – that it becomes a very murky soup. And the basic premise – that having more days with the ballots open somehow hinders voters – is counterintuitive on its face. They do make a point about it being “harder for the campaigns” to organize their get out the vote strategy, but that’s the problem of the campaigns, not the voters.

A part of me wants to sympathize with Matt on item number two, but this still comes down to a matter of personal responsibility. Something can always happen later. When do you get in on buying a new stock? On the first day or after it’s had time to ripen? Plus, these elections last so long now that you’ve doubtless got all the information you’re looking for prior to the final fifteen seconds before midnight on Monday. You pick when to vote and you live with your choice.

As to number four, ballot integrity, I have to scoff. Matt argues that most early voting is done by mail, “opening the door” to mischief of various sorts. Oregon and Washington vote exclusively by mail and somehow the specter of angry spouses throwing out votes has failed to materialize.

And… community? Do any of you get together for tailgate parties with your friends on election day and hang out in the parking lot of the precinct voting location? I stop off on the way to or back from work. By myself. Knowing you voted is reward enough, no matter when or how you did it.

But the biggest issue I have with this ties in to Matt’s third point. (You thought I forgot number 3, didn’t you?) The cost? That’s a decision made by the voters of the state. And so are the rules and methods of voting. The citizens of each state make those choices by way of their elected representatives and it’s really not up to the rest of us to decide it for them. And yes, that includes how much of their taxpayer money they want to spend on it.

It may certainly be the more rare exception than the rule, but plenty of us know that certain jobs have you picking up on a moment’s notice and flying out of town for work. This can happen over election day. You might also have a family commitment or any number of other things come up which will keep you away from the polls. I simply don’t see why a larger period of time to vote is “a bad thing” for anyone if that’s what the state decides to do.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

bgibbs1000 on September 22, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Is it really that tough to get off your A$$ 1 day every 4 years and make it to the polls and spend 10 minutes punching holes in a piece of paper? If so, maybe you shouldn’t vote.

dirtseller on September 22, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Early voting? Fine. But this early?

Doug Piranha on September 22, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Bingo.

Or we just don’t know about it.

You’ve seen me at your polling place? I was the guy firing up the grill!

The cost? That’s a decision made by the voters of the state. And so are the rules and methods of voting.blockquote>

Yep!

You’ve put together a well-written piece, Jazz. The only objection I would have at all to “early voting” is any “early counting” that transpires. Occasionally we see information about how many people from each party have voted early thus far, and that seems to me to be a way of discouraging others to participate. Aside from that (and the potential fraud issue, which I don’t necessarily agree with you on), I don’t have a problem with it.

Stoic Patriot on September 22, 2012 at 7:07 PM

You can track all the early voting and compare it to 2008 here:

They also have a nice calendar of when early voting starts for each state:

commodore on September 22, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Early voting? No.

Jvette on September 22, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I could see having the polls open for a two or maybe three day period at most, say Sunday thru Tuesday, but really, like dirtseller said, is it that tough for people to vote on the scheduled day?

Flange on September 22, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Early voting? No.

Jvette on September 22, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Well said.

GaltBlvnAtty on September 22, 2012 at 7:10 PM

There must be early voting so you can bus your illegals to multiple precincts in order to maximize those billions of Acorn stimulus dollars. Silly question!

DaNang67 on September 22, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Early voting? No.

Jvette on September 22, 2012 at 7:08 PM

This.

Too much opportunity for shenanigans.

Rebar on September 22, 2012 at 7:14 PM

If voting is a community unity event, lets make federal elections a national holiday, where it is illegal to be open for business (excepting emergency services).

No one would then have the excuse of “I had to work so I couldn’t vote”. Then, instead of having issues with the polls closing before everybody votes, just keep the polls open until 1) its after the closing time, and 2) there’s no one in line. Unintended consequences..the MSM would lose their only night of the year when nearly everyone is watching TV. Boo hoo.

Is this that hard?

BobMbx on September 22, 2012 at 7:15 PM

If the democrat party wants it, you can rest assured it’s bad for America.

SouthernGent on September 22, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I’m with group that says two three days ahead of Election Day is plenty. If you can’t make it over the weekend or Monday, vote absentee.
I happen to think that vote by mail is a horrible idea. The potential for mischief defies logic.

Curmudgeon on September 22, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Early voting is fine for folks who anticipate being incapacitated, legitimately not able to travel to the polls, being overseas, being out-of-state on legitimate, proven business, etc.

Early voting, in its current incarnation, is a big, fat, unhappy, unfunny joke and an insult to the Constitution, to the members of our honorable Armed Forces, and to anyone other than the shysters hoping to game the system and the goddamned candidates whom they support with their misdirection and malfeasance.

hillbillyjim on September 22, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Open polls two days before. No voting except in person eith pic. ID.
No absentee ballots. Period. Not fair, you say. Well, suck it up. Sometimes life just ain’t fair. TS.

they lie on September 22, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Curmudgeon on September 22, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Actually, its the only way to prove voter fraud.

BobMbx on September 22, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Hey, Matt, I “early vote” and have to show a state issued photo ID.

So, scratch off 1, 2 (I am informed), 4, and 5…and let my fellow state citizens and I decide how we spend our taxpayer money, #3.

ladyingray on September 22, 2012 at 7:19 PM

How many low-information voters does it take to skew the outcome.

From day to day, the polls are shifting as is the media narrative as dictated by the WH PR machine.

Consider what has happened in just the last week or so as the real story of the Benghazi foul-up has emerged. What about QE-3 and the negative impact it will have on purchasing power? How about the continuing weak numbers on employment and housing?

Too much is at stake to rely on an securing accurate assessment of the vote when it extends over a long period. There is also too much opportunity for shenanigans.

onlineanalyst on September 22, 2012 at 7:19 PM

That’s why we have absentee voting.

Waste of resources all around.

And encourages fraud.

ProfShadow on September 22, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Voting is a right and yet it is also a privilege and a duty.
If you are unable to schedule your life to perform your civic duty then too bad so sad.
Of course with exception to military overseas.

OTTO on September 22, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I love early voting. We call it permanent absentee voting here in CA. I haven’t been to a polling place in 7 years. I’m going to vote twice (at least) this year since we do not have voter ID. It is easy here…. Just pick a line at the poll, glance down at the book, pick a name , and vote. Two can play this game

oceansidecon on September 22, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Just no.

Curtiss on September 22, 2012 at 7:21 PM

That’s what absentee ballots are for, early voting is an invitation to fraud.

JimK on September 22, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Can I vote for 2016 yet?
Ridiculous on it’s face, back, and behind. Get off of your lazy rears and go out to vote on the prescribed day. Why do we cater to the laziest amongst us?

I was in Afghanistan/Iraq for 5 years straight and yet managed to vote in every national, state, and local election. Hell, I even cast a vote for my HOA from overseas. Are a couple of stamps and a few minutes of thought really that forking difficult?!?

donkichi on September 22, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Now I don’t have to answer the second question.

davidk on September 22, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Curmudgeon on September 22, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Actually, its the only way to prove voter fraud.

BobMbx on September 22, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I don’t like it because it means putting so much trust in the hands of unionized postal workers.

slickwillie2001 on September 22, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I don’t see how vote by mail catches election fraud.
P.O. Boxes, nursing homes, etc, who knows who filled out that ballot?

Curmudgeon on September 22, 2012 at 7:27 PM

That’s what absentee ballots are for, early voting is an invitation to fraud.

JimK on September 22, 2012 at 7:21 PM

This is how I see it also. Although it hasn’t been figured out how to take full advantage of the cracks in this system, it is only a matter of time. If you want to vote it is on the first Tuesday of November, schedule your date planner accordingly or not, your choice. Early voting allows for the less enthused to vote when theyy really don’t care, and if they don’t care they shouldn’t be voting.

Rio Linda Refugee on September 22, 2012 at 7:27 PM

One minor upside: is disables the effect of last-minute ‘October surprise’ scams.

slickwillie2001 on September 22, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I would like to see our elections run with the same ease and proficiency of a Powerball lottery.
They sell tens of millions of tickets across 44 states and there is never a single incident of cheating.

NeoKong on September 22, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Voting is not a RIGHT! Sheesh why cant people understand what a “right” is as opposed to a privilege is. A “right” can only be taken from you if you live in a tyranny. For reference read the the Declaration of Independence then read the philosophers behind the the Declaration.

Conservative4Ever on September 22, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Not a good idea.

sharrukin on September 22, 2012 at 7:30 PM

It’s called election day for a reason.

meci on September 22, 2012 at 7:31 PM

This is sorta like asking that all voters be edumacated. Taking away early voting would be harder than rewriting the Bill of Rights. It is part of the landscape now. We let the virus in an no amount of wishing it away is gonna work.

Limerick on September 22, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Our local elections are mail ballot only, but we have a choice for the general and I always choose to vote in person. I think it makes my vote more secure and I like the traditional patriotism of voting in my community.

Colorado has a good system for voting that works extra hard to make sure the military is not disenfranchised. My son is away at Air Force tech school and he received his absentee ballot yesterday via email. He still has to print it and mail it back, but receiving it via email speeds up the process, especially for folks overseas.

Common Sense on September 22, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Bmore on September 22, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Conservative4Ever on September 22, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Of course, you are correct.
Thanks for clarifying.
I hate getting caught in that leftist meme of everything is a right.

OTTO on September 22, 2012 at 7:36 PM

There should not be early voting far anyone who can get to their local polling place.

astonerii on September 22, 2012 at 7:36 PM

NO early voting and make it really hard to get an absentee ballot. If you don’t care enough about your country to get off your dead a** and drag your butt to the polling place on Election Day once every few years the nation doesn’t need your opinion!

clippermiami on September 22, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Early voting now? Before the first debate? Who would want such a thing?
Vote for the clown before you actually see him look like a clown in a debate?
Idiotic.

wb-33777 on September 22, 2012 at 7:38 PM

NeoKong on September 22, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Excellent point. But do it on election day.

wb-33777 on September 22, 2012 at 7:42 PM

“Oregon and Washington vote exclusively by mail and somehow the specter of angry spouses throwing out votes has failed to materialize.”

I don’t know if it had anything to do with early voting or voting by mail, but I’m not sure you want to trot out Washington as an example of ballot box integrity.

Gordon Winslow on September 22, 2012 at 7:43 PM

edumacated.
Limerick on September 22, 2012 at 7:32 PM

There’s the answer.
Dumbama may be right about changing DC from the inside.
Our schools on the other hand is a battle can fight and must win.
Voting out the boy king is only a short term solution to our troubles.
Lasting change begins with our children.

OTTO on September 22, 2012 at 7:43 PM

BobMbx on September 22, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Yes, actually. In the industry I work in, someone is on shift 24/7; early voting is a real plus for us

rginco on September 22, 2012 at 7:44 PM

No. Early voting benefits those who maintain multiple addresses and choose to cast votes in multiple locations.

heroyalwhyness on September 22, 2012 at 7:44 PM

The issue is NOT early voting.
The issue is d-cRAT socialist voting fraud
The solution is voter-ID.

TeaPartyNation on September 22, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Vote early and vote late and vote several times in between. It’s the Chicago way.

VorDaj on September 22, 2012 at 7:45 PM

We have early voting and it starts the week before the election and ends on the Friday before the election. We both take advantage of it as we are disabled and standing in line for any length of time would keep us from voting. We aren’t crazy about voting absentee as we fear our votes won’t be counted if the election isn’t contested. I do think starting now is beyond dumb, one week prior is more than enough.

Engrpat on September 22, 2012 at 7:48 PM

I know who I am voting for…
Even wrote it down on the calendar..

Electrongod on September 22, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I know who I am voting for…
Even wrote it down on the calendar..

Electrongod on September 22, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Nov 7th ? :)

OTTO on September 22, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Absolutely not. Next question.

ConservativeLA on September 22, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Omigosh, Howard Stern interviews some 2012 Obama supporters:

And they vote???

onlineanalyst on September 22, 2012 at 7:55 PM

If the democrat party wants it, you can rest assured it’s bad for America.

SouthernGent on September 22, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Exactamundo.

Rational Thought on September 22, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I’ve lived in two states (NM and NV) and early voted in both. Both states have in-person electronic early voting, not paper ballots.

I now live in Nevada and intend to cast my ballot as soon as I can. I knew in 2008 what the “issues” would be in 2012 if Obama won — in other words, I had all the information I needed to know that Obama would be a disaster and a threat to the country I love. Like Levin, I would vote for an “orange juice can” before voting for Obama.

Call me lazy or whatever you will, but I like the way early voting is/was conducted in the states in which I’ve lived because it’s convenient for me.

k9lover on September 22, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Election Day should actually be Election Weekend with poll places open in the early AM on Saturday until Sunday evening.

Yeah, I know you go to church. So what? Vote on Saturday then.

Moesart on September 22, 2012 at 7:57 PM

It matters not if I early vote or vote on election day, I have to show a government-issued photo ID in order to vote.

What the hell is the problem?

ladyingray on September 22, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Personally, I’d like to see voting made more difficult to dissuade the casual, uninformed, “sure, what the hell, why not?” voter from showing up.

glockomatic on September 22, 2012 at 8:00 PM

The problem is the poll workers. Many are elderly retirees.

Although, in the primaries this year in this small town it was interesting. We had the regular retirees (they pull duty every year) but there was also a team of 4 African American males watching the poll workers. They each had signs hung around their neck “Voter Assistance”.

Verrrry creepy.

Key West Reader on September 22, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Nov 7th ? :)

OTTO on September 22, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Electrongod on September 22, 2012 at 8:04 PM

As should any other attempts to prevent people from voting when they can.

mythicknight on September 22, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Absentee voter here, I’m thinking of voting early… I know how I’m voting, don’t need to watch debates, ads, or October surprise.

El_Terrible on September 22, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I know who I am voting for…
Even wrote it down on the calendar..

Electrongod on September 22, 2012 at 7:49 PM

ME TOO!
October 2
October 9
October 16
October 23
October 30
November 6

This year I lucked out and get to vote one extra since October has 5 Tuesdays.
/Obama 2012

bettycooper on September 22, 2012 at 8:10 PM

No there should not. Fraught with opportunity for fraud.

But this question is disappointing as hell, given that today of all days is the 45 day deadline for the mailing of absentee ballots to deployed servicemen, who for the last 2-3 elections they have been systematically disenfranchised by blue states failing to mail them out in a timely manner. By some reports only 4% of deployed servicemen managed to vote in the last two federal elections. Managed to get their ballots back by the deadline, after receiving them very late from states like Illinois and New York.

rayra on September 22, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I early voted in my Republican primary in August. After seeing the place and the people working there, all I could think of was…”man, these people can do anything they want with these machines all week, no one would know”. And trust me, these people didn’t look like Republicans. It wouldn’t matter in the primary, but in the general it might.

Norbitz on September 22, 2012 at 8:12 PM

October surprise.

El_Terrible on September 22, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I understand your perspective, but try looking at it this way:

What if that surprise was so detrimental to Obama that it would have swayed a great many voters against him, but with many votes already cast he wins anyway?

OTTO on September 22, 2012 at 8:16 PM

And do-overs too!

Wander on September 22, 2012 at 8:17 PM

What the hell is the problem?

ladyingray on September 22, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Same here…I’m asked to show ID every time I’ve gone to vote. Since any citizen can get at least a govt.-issued ID…for $10…and if that is a hardship, it’s free. Anyone who takes voting seriously shouldn’t have a problem with getting an ID.

As for early voting, I am certainly against it. There’s a good reason for having something called “election day”. Absentee voting is fine, and I wouldn’t want to vote early, as anything can change by the big day in November.

JetBoy on September 22, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Early voting for military only.

Make election day a national holiday.

JPeterman on September 22, 2012 at 8:20 PM

And do-overs too!

Wander on September 22, 2012 at 8:17 PM

These recalls in some states are absolutely ridiculous. You voted, and it didn’t work out as you thought it would…vote the person out for next term. There should be no reset button for elections.

JetBoy on September 22, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I don’t mind early mail voting here in Oregon, just STFU about the numbers. My beef is that the election office releases how many ballots have come in early, and party percentages. i.e we have 50K early ballots and 46% are from registered Republicans. The local dems them use that info to mobilize.

Republicans might have a chance here if that did not get reported publicly.

TimB52 on September 22, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Right, voting should only be allowed between the hours of 5 and 7 in the morning, at a location to be disclosed on election day, with only 2 polling stations open… if you miss your chance to vote during then, or if you have to work; too bad.

Right? We’re trying to make certain that people can’t have a couple days to spread out the lines, or schedule work around it, or make it more convenient for anyone anywhere; so we should make it more complicated, convoluted, and more of a hassle.

Because if the government can create anything, ti’s a hassle… just ask the TSA.

And we need to stop people from voting and make certain those few who do vote are inconvenienced as much as possible… and maybe make sure they’re not employed anywhere if we can.

You sure don’t want a factory worker working 12 hours shifts to be allowed to fill out a ballot in the comfort of their own home on their day off… not if you can inconvenience them and make them miss work and wages… right?

Can any of you explain to be the benefit to the nation of excessive inconvenience? Is getting my Driver’s License such a pointless hours-long hassle for a good reason?

Or is it only voting that should be horribly inconvenient… and if so, why?

gekkobear on September 22, 2012 at 8:27 PM

WP’s take

That picture of Obama, eating French fried, looking really stupid, on Drudge, top/center, is worth a million bucks.

Schadenfreude on September 22, 2012 at 8:27 PM

fries

Schadenfreude on September 22, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I’ve always felt election day should be a holiday. If you can’t vote that day, because you know you’ll be out of town, you should be able to vote by absentee ballot. All this early voting stuff is a ploy by the Democrats to get more votes, both legally and illegally.

bflat879 on September 22, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I’m OK with early voting – if we don’t count the votes.

huckleberryfriend on September 22, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I had to vote on election day in the three states I lived in before I moved to Texas. Now I can early vote and I love it. I vote when it’s convenient for me, when the weather permits safe driving, and when I know the lines won’t be as long. It’s always a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Because we have to show ID, it means that when Senior Citizens vote more than once because they’ve forgotten, the system catches the problem. Sorry, but I’m very glad Texas does it this way.

Avogadra on September 22, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I oppose “early voting” in all forms, with the exception of absentee ballots cast with a specific, verifiable reason. And that includes emergency absentee ballots on election day for those who may have an unforeseen event happen that prevents them from getting to the polling place.

Otherwise, absolutely all voting should take place in person on Election Day and every single voter should be required to present a photo ID.

Any other method is just asking for fraud and abuse, and despite Jazz dismissing that as an unproven concern, I guarantee you this is why the push for early voting has been made so heavily in recent years.

Shump on September 22, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Or is it only voting that should be horribly inconvenient… and if so, why?

gekkobear on September 22, 2012 at 8:27 PM

As I said above, it’s a privilege and a duty.
I conveniently take the time necessary to vote.

OTTO on September 22, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I like early voting.

One of my babies was born days before the 2008 election. I was still in the hospital on election day. I was really glad I went in on the first day of early voting.

Second, I don’t want to take my children to the polling place with me. I prefer to vote in quiet. If everyone had to vote on the same day, I would never be able to find a baby sitter on election day. Do you really want to stand in line for hours with screaming toddlers?

Finally, the whole community thing… I live in a solid blue community. The last time I voted on election day, it was 2004, and I had to stand in line with a bunch of potty mouth liberals who kept chanting and hurling sexual insults at anyone who they thought was voting for Bush. It looked like the Star Wars cantina scene. I vowed never again and have early voted every time since. In fact, I would recommend anyone voting for Romney get out there early because the Obamazombies will be particularly obnoxious this time around.

Also, remember the Black Panthers with clubs intimidating McCain voters? Yeah, the DOJ should have taken care of them, but they didn’t. If I lived in that district I would be voting early.

As far as ‘you might change your mind,’ that is a bunch of BS. You would have to put a gun to my head to get me to vote for Dear Leader.

bitsy on September 22, 2012 at 8:43 PM

bitsy on September 22, 2012 at 8:43 PM

From above:

October surprise.

El_Terrible on September 22, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I understand your perspective, but try looking at it this way:

OTTO on September 22, 2012 at 8:16 PM

OTTO on September 22, 2012 at 8:46 PM

OTTO on September 22, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Meh. The Obamabots would vote for him even if he bit the head off a live puppy on national TV. How many undecideds are going to vote early? None. They are procrastinators by nature.

bitsy on September 22, 2012 at 8:55 PM

just more time to corrupt the vote/ballots

losarkos on September 22, 2012 at 8:56 PM

bitsy on September 22, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Just a example.
Could be any candidate in any election.
Try not to boil everything down to the here and now.
Short term thinking is in large part how we got where we are.

OTTO on September 22, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Most of you are way off. The low information voters probably dont even know about early voting. Only partisans like us are even aware of it, and we aren’t changing our minds anyway. Fraud is a problem, but “independents” are waiting until the end, guaranteed.

Donald Draper on September 22, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Unless you serve in the military, no. Period. I would be happy to extend voting over a one weekend rather than on a business day.

Jurisprudence on September 22, 2012 at 9:10 PM

No early voting. No absentee voting without cause. If someone wants to vote, they should have to take time out on a particular day to vote. If they are unable to do that, then they are likely to be a low/no information voter.

besser tot als rot on September 22, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Agree with above posters. Early warning is fraught with potential for corruption. Get off your butt and get to the polls. Absentee only with doctors excuse. Too many here in FL, especially along the NY Democratic side (Atlantic around Miami), vote up north by absentee and down here in FL at the polls. They maintain two permanent residences. One in hubby name, one in wife name.

Dandapani on September 22, 2012 at 9:10 PM

In November, how many people catch the flu and can’t get to the polls on election day? How many people have car trouble on the way to the polls and it closes? In a country this big, situations like that could mean a ton of people. Having a few days the week before the election is not a problem. Being categorically against early voting is just silly.

Donald Draper on September 22, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Agree with you Donald Draper.

besser tot als rot on September 22, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I’m assuming none of the ones against this are young, healthy…. aren’t sick or otherwise disabled with no one to take them to the poles?

Need to be open-minded, guys/girls. Situations like that do exist.
BTW, I’m voting early this year. IQ is 135 and have master’s degree….very informed, thank you. I thought only libs were this narrow-minded. *sigh*

avagreen on September 22, 2012 at 9:34 PM

bitsy on September 22, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Just a example.
Could be any candidate in any election.
Try not to boil everything down to the here and now.
Short term thinking is in large part how we got where we are.

OTTO on September 22, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Wow. Condescending much? You didn’t even read my other points in my original post.

bitsy on September 22, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Voting isn’t a “Right” as others on this thread have pointed out.
———

But I think we can tell Democrats that they’ve got to vote from November 8 to 24, including weekends, so that they will have plenty of time to vote ;)

ProfShadow on September 22, 2012 at 9:40 PM

“Should there be early voting?” answer: It is up to the states to decide. Texas has early voting, and we seem to have no problem electing Conservatives. Second, this question is purely academic. We already HAVE early voting so the question that matters is, “how do we win the early vote?”

bitsy on September 22, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I love early voting. My wife and I both use it then provide rides for the elderly on Election Day. I started doing this after taking my grandmother to the polls once and getting so POd when it took 4 hours for her to get her chance to vote.

NextGen on September 22, 2012 at 9:45 PM

We have early voting here in Texas, but it doesn’t start this early. More like a couple of weeks early.

Ward Cleaver on September 22, 2012 at 9:54 PM

There was a time when states voted on different days in November. However, when the railroad and the telegraph came along they brought issues like the chances for results in one state to influence results in other states–hmmm … like the networks calling it on the east coast while polls are still open on the west coast–and the opportunities for people to travel to other states to vote again–now who in the world would ever think of transporting voters across state lines to vote multiple times? And people object to voter ID?!

I’m not in favor of early voting, but if they’re going to have it for federal elections then it should start no earlier than Oct 15, the dates should be the same in all states, and the presidential debates should be completed before early voting starts.

I vote on election day for the shared experience of American citizens voting on election day and also, out of respect for the agrarians who once had to travel at least a full day to get to their polling places to vote on election day.

stukinIL4now on September 22, 2012 at 9:55 PM

absentee and/or mail-in voting are enormously unsecured. How does one stuff ballot boxes? With paper no one checks. There was that recent case in Ohio or NY where they described it. What happened in Minnesota with Franken?

Do you believe there are individuals in positions that would stuff fake in-person ballots to gain votes; I do. From there you logically go to where a much larger portion of people would be able to act unlawfully due to referencing voter rolls to see who does not vote and capturing their ballot to use. In addition, one need only see the successful registration of illegitimate persons (fake, non-citizens, etc.). As we’ve seen felons are able to get their votes counted in many, if not all, States. You have to realize “the ends justify the means” and merely look at the organization that has become within the realm of public office, campaigns, and supporters.

You feel comfortable with the incestuous relationship of unions, academe, public representatives, States, and Congress? Scumbaggery has been around forever, yet there has never been this level of population, so perhaps the proportion is similar (I believe it’s much larger), but the pure numbers are greater. Plus there are more positions to game. Voting is a privilege, and is strictly for representation (though we have “transformed” from a republic into more of a democracy), if one cannot exert some effort, then what is the point? They want a full democracy, direct democracy, because the majority are able to be manipulated and are uninformed, bordering ignorance; see 2008…elected by celebrity.

Is this “extreme”? Maybe, but every thing leads to the next thing. Non-citizens are voting all over, why do you think they want more in? Why do you think they pushed for voting age of 18? Why do you think Obama and Biden campaign in friggin high schools? Why are teachers unionized? Why are the States that mail-in the far-left anti-American Oregon and Washington? Democracy…mob rule…give them stuff…they vote for you. Chicago has been corrupt since it’s founding, if you can’t corral them like the packed urban centers (which they want) then you want everyone and their dog to vote (literally).

crazy or not…one thing I’m not is stupid.

John Kettlewell on September 22, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Can I vote for 2016 yet?
donkichi on September 22, 2012 at 7:22 PM

What he said! Roll your butts outta bed on Tuesday and show up at your designated polling place. If someone is homebound due a chronic illness or the like, a signed affidavit (under penalty of perjury) of inability should allow that person be provided a ballot to fill out at home.

As it is now, all early-vote totals should be public – published and updated weekly in the media & officially on the misc State Secretaries websites.

whatcat on September 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Conservative4Ever on September 22, 2012 at 7:30 PM

How would you interpret the 19th Amendment?
“The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.”

whatcat on September 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I appreciated “Absentee Ballotts” when I was traveling a great deal for work. But then I did not realize the “shenangians” that may accompany it, and I’m not sure it was such a problem then either. Maybe that was my naivete at the time.

As with everything else under the sun, those that want to corrupt the system find a way.

ccrosby on September 22, 2012 at 10:27 PM

What kind of idiot scoffs at the idea of voter fraud by mail?

Let’s see, the Democrats make it as hard as possible for Military memebers to vote overseas by mail, yet they want to make damn sure that in the US there are no ID’s, no neighbors recognizing neighbors, no nothing preventing fraud.

Don’t talk about the limited evidence of fraud when it is something that is very hard to catch (because of no ID’s), and when someone IS caught, it is someone from the party of early-voting, vote by mail and no ID’s and the media makes sure it never gets out of the local pages.

Spartacus on September 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM