Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:01 am on September 21, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Normally I’d let an OOTD candidate percolate a few days after one of my co-bloggers, Erika Johnsen, did such a great job with it the day before, but if this isn’t in Sunday’s poll, I think I’d face a rebellion in the comments. The 2008 candidate of “Yes we can!” turned into “No, I can’t” yesterday:

“The most important lesson I’ve learned is you can’t change Washington from the inside.”

Let’s recall, as Ace does, exactly how hard it was for Obama to change Washington:

Melissa Clouthier points out that this sounds more like an accusation than an excuse:

Paul Mirengoff says this is a bigger admission of failure than it sounds at first:

In reality, Obama’s latest statement, like nearly every utterance of his that mentions “change,” is nonsense. He would have been closer to an insight if he had said: You can’t change Washington when your party suffers a massive defeat in congressional elections because the country doesn’t like the change you’re trying to impose.

But even this statement would be flawed because Obama has never really tried to “change Washington.” Rather, he sought to change America through measures — legislation, regulation, and executive orders — that emanate from Washington.

Mitt Romney certainly had fun with it:

Maybe Obama should get ready for his career outside of Washington … sooner than he thought.

Comments

So he isn’t the “change” we’ve been waiting for?

Whew, that’s good to know.

Flora Duh on September 21, 2012 at 8:05 AM

No, I can’t!!!

How typical of the Whistling-all-the-time WHINER IN CHIEF!!!

PappyD61 on September 21, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Fundamentally Transform the USA? I think not. Nor Washington.

JimK on September 21, 2012 at 8:08 AM

I’m heartbroken.

I’m over it.

Kraken on September 21, 2012 at 8:09 AM

You can only change Washington from the outside when we have Obama on the inside…
Good call Obama..

Electrongod on September 21, 2012 at 8:09 AM

A bigger gaffe than “read my lips”

Red Bennet on September 21, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Hope he has to show his I.D. when he applies for his home loan—in Chicago. (oh, wait….Tony’s got ya covered)

Rovin on September 21, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Next up – Change It Back

Lucky Pierre on September 21, 2012 at 8:11 AM

And the best part?……

…….all the complete Obama CULTISTS are spreading pics of their hands written on with what they are thankful to him for….

…..some like Natalie Portman (in a sick looking “Pledge of Allegiance” pose).

Hey you Jim Jones Kool-Aid drinkers if Obama invited you to the White House for a certain event with “special” drinks would you come?

All the lefties hail the OBAMAGOD!

PappyD61 on September 21, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Obama had a moment of clarity that he shared with the rest of us…His candidacy is a sham and his Presidency is a failure.

workingclass artist on September 21, 2012 at 8:12 AM

This.

Bitter Clinger on September 21, 2012 at 8:13 AM

But you can change your life story if you are pals with Bill and Bernadine.

50sGuy on September 21, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Doesn’t he always claim Bush changed it, from the inside?

Buddahpundit on September 21, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Two points:

First, Obama cited the passage of Obamacare as an example of “outsiders” getting stuff done that insiders cannot. Well, if any deal was more filthy with horse-swapping, arm-twisting, and outright bribes it was Nancy Pelosi on the floor of the House pushing through Obamacare. If anything the Tea Party protests is an example of outsiders firing insiders for their support of this clearly bad piece of legislation. So bad that the rat-eared bastard only tepidly runs on it as an accomplishment.

Secondly, Obama told this Hispanic audience that his greatest regret was not pushing through Comprehensive Immigration Reform (read universal amnesty). Well if I were one of the millions of Americans jobless thanks to Obama, I would be pretty upset that he regrets more not getting through legislation for illegals instead of regretting that he made one in five of us jobless. And let’s not forget with universal amnesty we also get that many more people with status to compete for jobs in the marketplace.

Happy Nomad on September 21, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Remember folks…Romney is having a bad week

*snicker*

workingclass artist on September 21, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Schlooser.

CW on September 21, 2012 at 8:17 AM

But you can change your life story if you are pals with Bill and Bernadine.

50sGuy on September 21, 2012 at 8:13 AM

In his THIRD autobiography, Congress will become a composite that incorporates many Representatives and Senators who worked tirelessly against the well-intentioned rat-eared bastard.

Happy Nomad on September 21, 2012 at 8:18 AM

the Great Community Organizer has learnt..
Community Organizing is best done on the the street, in dark allies..

Electrongod on September 21, 2012 at 8:20 AM

I think Melissa Clouthier read him rightly. It’s yet another blame shift onto others. Whatever happens, it can’t possibly be the fault of The One. I’m really getting tired of this jerk who sits in our highest office.

jwolf on September 21, 2012 at 8:21 AM

A failure, plain and simple. And he admitts it.

I have been hearing Obama preface a number of his comments with ” One thing I’ve learned … ”
Makes it sound as if he was unprepared for the office.

Jabberwock on September 21, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Obama is 2012’s nattering nabob of negativism. His new slogan should be: “I can’t do it; You can’t build it.”

Researcher1946 on September 21, 2012 at 8:21 AM

So…we did built it…from the outside…

Electrongod on September 21, 2012 at 8:23 AM

This.

Bitter Clinger on September 21, 2012 at 8:13 AM

I’ll second that. There was no attempt to change Washington as a gridlocked and process that is as much about entrenched incumbency as it is partisanship (fire Boehner, Pelosi, and Reid). And that is the thing. This administration chooses to selectively enforce the law but a new administration will not let such breech of the Constitution stand.

Happy Nomad on September 21, 2012 at 8:23 AM

I’m heartbroken.

I’m over it.

Kraken on September 21, 2012 at 8:09 AM

LOL

Night Owl on September 21, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Researcher1946 on September 21, 2012 at 8:21 AM

“I can’t do it; You can’t build it. But I need four more years in office”

Happy Nomad on September 21, 2012 at 8:24 AM

You’re right, Barry. We’re just not worthy of your brilliant magnificence.

Now GTFO.

Naturally Curly on September 21, 2012 at 8:24 AM

“I’ve learned you can’t change Washington by golfing.”

radjah shelduck on September 21, 2012 at 8:26 AM

In four years, there has never been a day when Ed was unable to find something amateurish or stupid Obama has said or done. What a failure this bozo has been.

Night Owl on September 21, 2012 at 8:27 AM

But I need four more years in office”

Happy Nomad on September 21, 2012 at 8:24 AM

?Yeah..

What about that?

He needs fore more years but Hope & Change can’t happen where he stands?

WTF?

Electrongod on September 21, 2012 at 8:28 AM

You’re right, Barry. We’re just not worthy of your brilliant magnificence.

Now GTFO.

Naturally Curly on September 21, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Your comment on KJ’s blog was good:

Replace the disgrace 2012

Night Owl on September 21, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I can’t listen to him anymore.It’s all pete repeat.The only word I want to hear from him is bye.

docflash on September 21, 2012 at 8:30 AM

That Univision thing really worked out well for Obama didn’t it?

I guess he just assumed he’d get a tongue bath and didn’t prepare for it.

forest on September 21, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Obama is ready for life outside DC. He’s got a new house and anyone with less bias than the WH press corps can see he’s been doing everything he can to slough off and weaken his position. Given the intrade numbers, I suspect he’s got big $ wagered on Romney to win and is shaving points to ensure he wins when he loses.

CitizenEgg on September 21, 2012 at 8:32 AM

The American people should have lost all patience with him according to Barack Obama himself in 2006:

Granny Jan and Jihad Kitty

The unofficial Obama Criticizer

No Niks on September 21, 2012 at 8:32 AM

1st look, Ramos/Salinas 2012?

Good golly molly, that Univision interview should absolutely be the death blow. Do anything and everything to share it with your social media groups.

hillsoftx on September 21, 2012 at 8:33 AM

PappyD61 on September 21, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Gov. Rick Perry of Texas tweeted the perfect photo of his two word response (one on each hand) to those idiots: $16 Trillion

AZCoyote on September 21, 2012 at 8:33 AM

… because Obama has never really tried to “change Washington.” Rather, he sought to change America through measures — legislation, regulation, and executive orders — that emanate from Washington

…some of what Happy Nomad said…Where are the words…bribe…threats… and intimidation in describing JugEars attempt to ‘change’America?

KOOLAID2 on September 21, 2012 at 8:33 AM

I guess he just assumed he’d get a tongue bath and didn’t prepare for it.

forest on September 21, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Did you see that photo of him on Drudge, where he’s sitting with his hand between his legs — looks like he’s cupping his b*lls.

I guess that’s dingleBarry’s natural defensive position when he gets a tough question. We’ve never seen it before because he never gets any tough questions from the MSM.

AZCoyote on September 21, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Such a child is he.

petefrt on September 21, 2012 at 8:36 AM

What about that?

Electrongod on September 21, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I’m looking forward to see how his people spin this. The “you didn’t build that” gaffe left a mark but what do you do when your candidate, the President of the United States, declares that you can’t change Washington if you are an insider? How more insider do you get than POTUS? I suspect there will be a lot of talk about rat-ears not being an insider (which they will define as career politician) and Obama is still our only hope for change since he’s done such a super great job the last four years.

Happy Nomad on September 21, 2012 at 8:36 AM

This.

crazy_legs on September 21, 2012 at 8:37 AM

“If only TFGRP could be dictator for a year, just a year, to really get things done without Congress mucking things up.”

-Tom Friedman

Bishop on September 21, 2012 at 8:37 AM

That Univision thing really worked out well for Obama didn’t it?

I guess he just assumed he’d get a tongue bath and didn’t prepare for it.

forest on September 21, 2012 at 8:31 AM

I’ve heard more than a couple pundits mention that Univision didn’t throw softballs at either Romney or Obama. Must have been quite a shock for a guy whose interviews usually include preference of red or green chilis or what superpower he’d like.

Happy Nomad on September 21, 2012 at 8:39 AM

That Univision thing really worked out well for Obama didn’t it?

I guess he just assumed he’d get a tongue bath and didn’t prepare for it.

forest on September 21, 2012 at 8:31 AM

So true! I guess Univision’s Official Obama 2012 Kneepads got lost in translation.

The best part of getting rid of him will be the death of the drive-by media.

Naturally Curly on September 21, 2012 at 8:39 AM

You are welcome to change Washington from outside. Thank you.

antisocial on September 21, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Maybe Rubio ought to get on the air and remind the Latino voters every day that the empty chair couldn’t and really didn’t try all that hard to get them their amnesty. He could make EC a target for their scorn. He assumed that Nanzi and Dingy would get it done for him like they did Ocare. He’s starting to remind me of the cheshire cat with the big smile who’s disappearing a little each day. 46 days!

Kissmygrits on September 21, 2012 at 8:42 AM

You are welcome to change Washington from outside. Thank you.

antisocial on September 21, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I disagree. As far as I am concerned rat-ears isn’t even welcome to make change at a toll booth on the the Dulles Greenway

Happy Nomad on September 21, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I’m really wondering where the trolls are on this.
Please tell us what all of this really means.
And why with a Democratic majority for the 1st 2 years he couldn’t totally change America into a full blown socialist country.

Badger40 on September 21, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Governors Rick Perry, Scott Walker and Rick Scott are on Fox right now. Too bad that idiot Brian Kilmeade is the one interviewing them. Should have given it to Eric Bolling!

Naturally Curly on September 21, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Naturally Curly on September 21, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Kilmeade has occasional moments of brilliance.

esr1951 on September 21, 2012 at 8:49 AM

You can’t change your family condition, school condition, grocery store condition, states or local communities conditions from the inside. Washington must do that.

Personal responsibility can’t exist anywhere.

Buddahpundit on September 21, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Kilmeade has occasional moments of brilliance.

esr1951 on September 21, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Nonsense. He can barely get a coherent sentence out. And Doocey is even worse.

Naturally Curly on September 21, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I’m really wondering where the trolls are on this.
Please tell us what all of this really means.

Badger40 on September 21, 2012 at 8:43 AM

They can’t until they get their daily talking points email. This gaffe is big enough the whole thing is probably delayed so the first shift of concern trolls are anxiously pacing in front of the computer waiting.

IMO, this will be spun that Obama is not an “insider” because he is not a career DC politician. He needs those four extra years to continue his work championing the interests of Americans against those evil DC insiders. Of course, the only problem with that is that POTUS is about as inside as you can get in DC to paint himself as an outsider is absolutely absurd.

Happy Nomad on September 21, 2012 at 8:56 AM

It’s not me. It’s you. As in, your fault.

— Melissa Clouthier

Isn’t this a recurring theme for Obama? Wasn’t me.

Fallon on September 21, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Nonsense. He can barely get a coherent sentence out. And Doocey is even worse.

Naturally Curly on September 21, 2012 at 8:55 AM

To quote a line from Murphy Brown-
It’s morning television, lighten up.

Happy Nomad on September 21, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I’m heartbroken.

I’m over it.

Kraken on September 21, 2012 at 8:09 AM

LOL X 1,000,000.

My “comment of the day”.

Mutnodjmet on September 21, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Excellent new RNC ad goes after Obama’s admission that he can’t fix Washington

Flora Duh on September 21, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Please tell me this ad is playing in all the swing states. My husband called up last night worried this remark will not be shared outside conservative sites.

Mutnodjmet on September 21, 2012 at 9:07 AM

The sad part is that we need to have foreign and non-english media venues to ask these questions. We are literally swimming in traditional media outlets of every kind and we don’t have more than a handful which will ask such questions.

Bishop on September 21, 2012 at 9:13 AM

He has strangled American businesses and citizens, with massive new regulations, tax increases and threats of more to come, and mandates telling us how to spend whatever money we are left with.

This clown has changed the Federal government more than FDR. But, for him, it isn’t enough.

WestTexasBirdDog on September 21, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Obooba just doesn’t like it in DC. Wonder why…

Tellingly, Obama has never lived in a black neighborhood. Maraniss reported in his book that when leftist activist Jerry Kellman interviewed Obama for a community organizing job in Chicago, he asked Obama how he felt about living and working in the black community for the first time in his life.

Obama accepted the job but chose not to live among those he would be organizing. Instead… he commuted 90 minutes each way daily from his apartment in Chicago’s famous Hyde Park to the Altgeld Gardens housing project where he worked.

Akzed on September 21, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Well now…the poor little guy coulda done it – if it hadn’t been for all you damned Bitter Clingers.

Thank you, all of you Bitter Clingers!!

Solaratov on September 21, 2012 at 9:26 AM

When the MSM jumps all over this, then I’ll be impressed. Until then, we are lucky if 1/4 of one percent ever hear about it. The “low information” voters are killing us.

swinia sutki on September 21, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I can’t listen to him anymore.It’s all pete repeat.The only word I want to hear from him is bye aloha.

docflash on September 21, 2012 at 8:30 AM

FIFY

May a bird of paradise cr*p on each ear.

(I’m old, please forgive me–or not)

MaggiePoo on September 21, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Obama: but I was able to weaken the nation…which is really all I cared about anyway.

lynncgb on September 21, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I’m all for the O in hOpe and change, now GTFO already.

Laura in Maryland on September 21, 2012 at 9:43 AM

No under-the-bus trip, no peace.

Steve Eggleston on September 21, 2012 at 9:56 AM

And it’s not like he has tried.

Cindy Munford on September 21, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Remember when Mr Obama said “the private sector is doing fine”?
His minions really believe it!
Despite more months of unemployment above 8% in the past 3 yrs than we had from 1948 to 2008 COMBINED;
despite our credit rating being downgraded for the first time ever–TWICE–under Obama;
despite the number of folks on foodstamps DOUBLING under Obama;
despite more people getting on disability than those finding jobs in the last few months;
despite one record-smashing deficit after another under Obama.

itsnotaboutme on September 21, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Maybe Washington doesn’t change from the inside, but it sure as heck rots from the inside, and from the head down.

stukinIL4now on September 21, 2012 at 10:21 AM

After having the chance to ponder those words overnight; in the morning light and given the platform where he delivered those words, they may not be as amateurish as ominous. “You can’t change Washington from the inside” are words that Che, Fidel, Mao, or Lenin would have used to stir up the masses to validate “change from the outside”. Think about some of Univision’s audience.

I really hope this was just a gaffe, but we should consider that he is looking to build a base for something else if he is defeated and forced out of office.

AZfederalist on September 21, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Well, we should probably give him brownie points for trying. Bless his little heart…

Antivenin on September 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Would that we had a President who learned his life lessons long ago, instead of one who does all his “learning lessons” on the job, decimating our futures in the process.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on September 21, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Oceans are still rising then?

jukin3 on September 21, 2012 at 10:58 AM

E-I-P-C
F-I-A-L

Nutstuyu on September 21, 2012 at 11:02 AM

So the little Hitler says he can’t change Washington from the inside. Then let’s be sure to kick his worthless behind back to Chicago so he’ll be on the outside.

jqc1970 on September 21, 2012 at 11:06 AM

E-I-P-C
F-I-A-L

Nutstuyu on September 21, 2012 at 11:02 AM

O-I-H-O

davidk on September 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Somebody really needs to be playing taps under this OOTD.

It’s over bammie….

IT’S OVER!

Tim_CA on September 21, 2012 at 12:42 PM

This has always been Obama’s view. It’s what he said in a debate with Hillary in 2008.

Obama’s intention was not to change Washington from the inside, but to be the catalyst for a movement that would bring Washington to its knees. Remember him saying “we reward our friends and punish our enemies”. Or “they bring a knife, we bring a gun.” Remember him telling the CBC “ya gotta put on your marchin’ shoes”. Or his support for the PE unions occupying the statehouse in Wisconsin. It is all of a piece: for Obama it is not about getting things done through our established political processes, and it never has been. It’s about confrontation on two fronts: race and class.

Obama is and always has been a dangerous, divisive and dishonest demagogue. So let’s be grateful to him for reminding us where all that really comes from.

UnrepentantCurmudgeon on September 21, 2012 at 1:19 PM