Herman Cain: Let’s face it, I’d probably have a substantial lead right now if I was the nominee

posted at 4:23 pm on September 21, 2012 by Allahpundit

A fun thought experiment, and a good way to refresh your appreciation for Romney after a tough couple of weeks. If you think Mitt’s been prone to getting thrown off-message, imagine what the media would do with a nominee on whom they’d already started muckraking and who was guilty of even worse verbal stumbles than Romney is.

Would have been a heck of a ride, though.

He focused on the tax code, energy and the national debt, while repeatedly bashing the mainstream media.

“Stupid people are ruining America, and we’ve got to take it back,” he said.

Cain told members of the media after the speech that Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney’s recent “47 percent” comment was a “non-story” being blown out of proportion by the media. But Cain said he would have been doing better if he was the nominee, saying that he’d probably have a “substantial lead” on President Barack Obama at this point.

“The reason is quite simple: I have some depth to my ideas,” he said.

I don’t know whether he’s “deeper” than Romney but Cain’s 9-9-9 pitch was admirably concrete and clear vis-a-vis Mitt’s 59-point plans. My sense is that he would have connected better with the middle class too — although so would virtually anyone else in the field. And yet, for the reasons noted up top (as well as Romney’s organizational and fundraising advantages), it’s an awfully safe bet that Cain wouldn’t be as close as Mitt is now. That’s one of the big consolations whenever I feel frustrated about Romney’s campaign, in fact: For all his faults, my gut reaction is that none of his rivals from the primaries would have done any better and quite a few of them would have been doing a lot worse. (No doubt Ann Romney feels the same way, which helps explain some of her irritation at Mitt’s Beltway critics.) Santorum would have been better on the trail but his organization was much weaker and the media would have slashed him twice as deeply as Romney for his social conservatism. The “war on women” crap” would have been even shriller than it is now, as hard as that is to imagine. On paper, Pawlenty would have been more difficult to demonize than Romney because none of the left’s class-warfare ploys would work well against him, but how are we supposed to take him seriously as an alternative when he couldn’t get past the Ames straw poll? If the goal, purely and simply, is beating Obama, then yeah, I think Mitt had the best chance in a weak primary field. Anyone feel otherwise? I’m interested in hearing readers’ counterarguments in the comments.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

SWalker on September 21, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I am not sulking. Just answering a post from Allahpundit. He asked. I answered. Speaking of which, you didn’t answer my question. You did mention a trophy again though, so you have that.

KMav on September 21, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I’ve seen almost as many Ron Paul stickers as Obama stickers. You have really got to give them credit for optimism in the face of adversity.

bitsy on September 21, 2012 at 5:13 PM

And how many of them do you think will vote for a Republican?

riddick on September 21, 2012 at 5:16 PM

With all the women who claimed Herman Cain groped them during the primaries, if he somehow won the nomination he would be running about 30-70 behind Obama with women voters, on the road to a landslide defeat.

Romney may not be the most charismatic candidate, but he is squeaky clean on his family life. If he had any skeletons in that closet, she would have come out of it by now.

Steve Z on September 21, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Indeed he would.

Dunedainn on September 21, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Yeah, whatever.
But seriously, I’d like pepperoni with deep dish crust, one half with mushrooms and the other half with green peppers. And extra cheese. Thanks. Anout 25 minutes? Sure, I’ll be by to pick it up then. Yeah the name is Tim. Tim Pawlenty. K, bye.

Galtian on September 21, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Perry would be running closer than Romney now.

Romney is not running any better than McCain did in 2008, and if loses only by 4%, and not by 7.5%, he can thank the economy for that.

Btw, explain to me how the GOP holds on to the House, if Romney is down by 4-5%. There will be almost no ticket-splitting this year – take a look at the House vote in 2000, 2004 and 2008 to see that it matches the Presidential vote rather closely.

buridan on September 21, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Do my observations match others in blue areas?

mpthompson on September 21, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I live in a traditionally solid red area of Illinois. (Yes, we do exist.) I have already noticed two Obama yard signs in my neighborhood, but no Romney signs. A few Obama stickers are showing up on cars, no Romney bumper sticker spottings as of yet.

I do remember having my McCain/Palin sign up within a week after the convention in 2008 but whatevs.

Fallon on September 21, 2012 at 5:21 PM

“The reason is quite simple: I have some depth to my ideas,” he said.

Hermie, your ideas weren’t the problem in the campaign. It was your zipper.

PappyD61 on September 21, 2012 at 5:21 PM

So, how much is ‘team obama’ paying Cain to push this crap?

Pork-Chop on September 21, 2012 at 5:22 PM

… C R A C K
toppings
on
the
pizza!

KOOLAID2 on September 21, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Sorry Herman, but womanizers have obvious moral shortcomings, and if your wife can’t trust you, why should I?

disa on September 21, 2012 at 5:26 PM

So, how much is ‘team obama’ paying Cain to push this crap?

Pork-Chop on September 21, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Cain is Cain. Don’t even suggest he is playing for Obama. That’s unnecessary and malicious.

Fallon on September 21, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Not impressed Herman, you couldn’t hang, Make mine a thin crust pepperoni please.. large…

see ya…

RockyJ. on September 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Dear Mr. Cain,

I was very enthusiastic about supporting your campaign. I waited until the allegations got to be too much and I withdrew my support.

Now is the time that you should shut the F**K up.

I now beat myself for having ever supporting you.

Suck it.

98ZJUSMC on September 21, 2012 at 5:32 PM

see ya…

RockyJ. on September 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM

You want his fingers touching your food? bleg!

astonerii on September 21, 2012 at 5:35 PM

You folks just don’t get Herman. Lol! For Cindy, second time today Cindy. Lol!

Bmore on September 21, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Sorry, but Cain is right.

Romney has been an extremely weak election candidate so far. No doubt about that whatsoever.

But, alas, we are stuck with him.

Norwegian on September 21, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I think Mitt had the best chance in a weak primary field

No doubt. And to think I took Cain seriously for a while there.
Who can forget that useful idiot stunt he pulled with Stephen Cobert and the cringe worthy Rock Me Like a Herman Cain Rally.
Not sure who I was more embarrassed for, Herman or myself for ever considering him a serious option.

Buttercup on September 21, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Bmore on September 21, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Happy TGIF..:)

Dire Straits on September 21, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Dude??..I agree 100% Allahpundit!!..:)

Dire Straits on September 21, 2012 at 5:46 PM

If Perry had laid off the back pain medication before the debates, he would have been the guy…

tommylotto on September 21, 2012 at 5:47 PM

For Cindy, second time today Cindy. Lol!

Bmore on September 21, 2012 at 5:36 PM

I know it was for Cindy but Little Richard on a Friday afternoon means I’m dancin’. Yeah, I dropped the “g”. Sue me.

Good Golly Miss Molly!

Fallon on September 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM

When people lack the grace or good sense to keep comments like this to themselves, I take it as a serious warning sign. And it makes me think a Cain nomination would have been a disaster of epic proportions. (If the societal pressure of being a gracious loser isn’t enough to keep his pride in check, what the heck would he be like as the Leader of the Free World?) He is almost Obama-esque in his shocking, inappropriate, spiteful hubris.

But as far as Romney being the best…well…the only reason he is doing as well as he is now is that Obama is so extremely awful. It shouldn’t take the threat of a complete economic collapse/foreign policy meltdown to convince “the base” to show up and vote for the nominee. But that deep, deep fear of an Obama second term is all that’s motivating lots of us to vote for Romney.

What ifs are pretty pointless, but since we’re playing…I think if the timing had been different for Rick Perry’s back surgery, the primaries would’ve been a whole different ball game. And where the thought of a Romney presidency makes me nervous, I find myself wishing Perry were at the helm to navigate the nation through the nightmare in the Middle East we are currently experiencing. (I was doing okay until I saw this photo: https://twitter.com/GovernorPerry/status/248903111329067008 . Then I got all sad and wistful again. Think he would just sit by while a U.S. ambassador is murdered and our embassies are under assault? Ah, well.) Admittedly, the debates would be nerve-wracking (maybe–he had improved a lot toward the end)–but let’s face it, there’s no way the media is going to give Romney the credit for a good debate, anyway. But like I said, what ifs are pointless. Romney all the way. (Sigh.)

butterflies and puppies on September 21, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Buttercup on September 21, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Insult to injury, insult to injury… But everyone can get blinded sometimes.

When I heard the Romney tape, I damned near donated to him… Fortunately, I did not, and I then got re-educated by his most fervent supporters and the convinced me of my folly, that Romney really is not worth supporting, YET. Still holding out hope for change, hope for change.

I think that is what drives us. I supported in order, Bachmann, I still like her, Perry, I lost my love for him pretty quickly as he backtracked on everything every time push came to shove, Newt, I still like Newt. Now I am stuck with whether I can support Romney. So far he has not proposed anything other than platitudes written in smoke rings.

astonerii on September 21, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Sorry, but Cain is right.

But, alas, we are stuck with him.

Norwegian on September 21, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Where is Cain now? It is always EASY to sit there and say well this Could have or Might have or he would have….

It don’t mean s#it …

Cain made his decision, He can say anything he wants but his “I would have” carries no weight at all.

He DID NOT… THAT is the truth of the matter.

Herman I respect you but if you are not going to help then STFU.

RockyJ. on September 21, 2012 at 5:56 PM

live in a mccain 65% county
work in an obama 71% county
at work hardly any obama stickers, 50-75% reduction in volume there.
by this time in 08 at home i saw a dozen mccain signs driving around town; no romney signs, zero, right now. 2 r Paul signs, gigantic, wooden structures still up.

t8stlikchkn on September 21, 2012 at 6:03 PM

t8stlikchkn on September 21, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I don’t know where I live based on votes. Recently moved here. But the only add ons I have seen have been Obama stickers popping up on the cars. I walk to work. In the parking lot, not a single Romney sticker in the parking lot I walk through.

astonerii on September 21, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I live in a neighborhood chock full of academics. In 2008 it was full of Obama yard signs. This year ONE sole home has an Obama sign.

Kermit on September 21, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Mitt was the best of the bunch and will make a fantastic POTUS. Im so sick of the defeatist attitude out there. From Cain to Bill Kristol and some here….SHUT UP. Stop giving the media and Obama ammo. Funny how Limbaugh, Malkin, and Levin were critics of Mitt during the primary but are now defending him like crazy. Good for them and shame on the rest.

Jack_Burton on September 21, 2012 at 6:28 PM

check out where you live. if you are an interactive map junkie. like me.

it seems obama intensity is way down. but the overt GOP intensity is also muted. there is a lot of “heat” against obama but not a lot of “light” pro-romney. just a feeling. we ended up with the last choice so i suppose thats a by-product.

t8stlikchkn on September 21, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Southern California, haven’t seen anything Romney (bumper sticker, lawn sign). Seen a few Obama stickers, but only a fraction of what it was like 4 years ago. Interest in the election seems very low.

El_Terrible on September 21, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Me, too, and I’ve seen pretty much what you have, except that I have seen one or two Romney bumper stickers on vehicles presumably being driven by individuals who are very brave and/or have very good car insurance.

Then there’s the idiot on my block with the “2[Ologo]12″ sticker on his car along with the “No Representation without Taxation” sticker, which used to make me gag, but after Romney’s “47%” remark, now makes me laugh. I wonder if that guy will realize that the meaning of his bumper sticker has been turned entirely on its head! If it disappears from his bumper, I’ll know. :-)

BTW, I am a big chicken and have not put up any lawn signs or bumper stickers for fear of vandals. I fly the U.S. flag out front as a sort of proxy.

Mary in LA on September 21, 2012 at 6:39 PM

…In the parking lot, not a single Romney sticker in the parking lot I walk through.

astonerii on September 21, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I seriously think that’s for fear of vandals or angry reprisals. Too many folks on the other side have renounced civilized behavior in favor of partisan mobbishness (if that’s even a word!).

Mary in LA on September 21, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I fly the U.S. flag out front as a sort of proxy.

Mary in LA on September 21, 2012 at 6:39 PM

US?! i thought mexico was the only one allowed in cali.

t8stlikchkn on September 21, 2012 at 6:46 PM

US?! i thought mexico was the only one allowed in cali.

t8stlikchkn on September 21, 2012 at 6:46 PM

¡No, señor/a! ¡No es verdad!!

:-)

Mary in LA on September 21, 2012 at 6:56 PM

If you were the nominee, you’d still have to keep it in your pants, dude.

halfastro on September 21, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I believe beating the other guy pretty much describes the only goal in any election, AP.

whatcat on September 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Perry would be running closer than Romney now.

UHHHHHHgreeed.

Errmmm……no 4 weeks after surgery w/o the meds he would have been writhing in pain more than he was during the first two debates. Most guys who had this surgery said they’d never been able to stand for the first few months to years, but less for the 2 hrs he did.

Like whut? (I live in Texas so keep your points correct.)

avagreen on September 21, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I guess no cabinet post offer for Herman…Sheeesh!

workingclass artist on September 21, 2012 at 7:18 PM

check out where you live. if you are an interactive map junkie. like me.

t8stlikchkn on September 21, 2012 at 6:29 PM

It’s extremely discouraging to see how much red three was…….and O won anyway. Howindehell?

avagreen on September 21, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Typo: how much red there was……

avagreen on September 21, 2012 at 7:23 PM

avagreen on September 21, 2012 at 7:23 PM

The colors indicates land area, not populace. I suspect the colors are going to change quite a bit this time around, though. It ain’t 2008 hopenchange anymore.

whatcat on September 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Cain would not be doing worse, let’s say.

Then again are the polls accurate and is Obama really up?

Only the election will tell.

The media is in total Obama worship mode and nothing will change that.

Damn, I want that Obama cretin to go down so bad! And that is probably the sentiment that would have buoyed ANY of the Republican primary’s now almost forgotten contenders.

Sherman1864 on September 21, 2012 at 7:36 PM

If you unscew the polls Romney’s doin fine…

workingclass artist on September 21, 2012 at 7:44 PM

workingclass artist on September 21, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Yowza, wca! Just great. Really.

avagreen on September 21, 2012 at 7:49 PM

It’s strange what taking out the Democrat sampling does to polls, no? heh.

avagreen on September 21, 2012 at 7:51 PM

If you unscew the polls Romney’s doin fine…

workingclass artist on September 21, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Now that’s interesting! Thank you!

Sherman1864 on September 21, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Two points:

1. The Rs were demoralized in 2008 and didn’t think they could win in 2012. When it became obvious that Barry was incompetent, lots of Rs hadn’t laid the groundwork for 2012. That left Romney and vanity candidates. There’s a reason why party elders spent much of 2011 prostrating themselves before Ryan and Christie.

2. None of the current R superstars were big before 2009 or so. Christie was a Fox News analyst before 2009. Rubio was a State Senator. And raise your hand if you knew who the Congressman for the 1st District of WI was in 2009. Both Christie and Ryan could have run for Pres in 2012, but both would have had problems. Christie would have been accused of skipping out on NJ and Ryan was basically being groomed for 2016 after Jindal imploded.

Illinidiva on September 21, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Nope.

I respect you, Sir, but even if you were running against Slick Willy the LSM would still massacre you over the womens stuff.

Only Dems get away with that, even with solid proof…sorry, just what this country’s become.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 21, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Cain is wrong bcuz Romney is leading but the slimestream media will never let that out and fine by me. Bumper stickers and yard signs don’t mean squat. I think Republicans and Tea Partiers are laying low waiting for Nov 6 or whenever absentee or early voting begins in their state when they’ll be quietly casting their votes. And then it’s buh-bye, Obutthead.

stukinIL4now on September 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM

If you unscew the polls Romney’s doin fine…

workingclass artist on September 21, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I got this one bookmarked and I’m looking at it everyday from now until Nov 6. Thanx.

stukinIL4now on September 21, 2012 at 8:39 PM

..ehh whatever. Cain will be back somewhere in politics. But not presidential politics. I like him but he’s just not going to make it there.

TX-96 on September 21, 2012 at 8:52 PM

ALLLL ABOOOOAAARRRDDD!!!!

CHOO CHOO COMIN THRU!!!

John Kettlewell on September 21, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I don’t know where I live …

astonerii on September 21, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Have you tried Google maps?

JackieB on September 22, 2012 at 7:52 AM

As a former serial supporter of non-Romneys but now fully on board with Romney as the non-Obama and thus the USA’s last faint chance at survival I’d suggest Cain might consider finding a better way to help than this. Plus, besides the issues that came up in the primary, he’d be getting the same defective advice from the same consultants and be flying against the same polluted MSM headwind. So it’s as easy to speculate that he’s wrong as not. Sit down, Herman.

curved space on September 22, 2012 at 8:40 AM

the issues that came up in the primary

curved space on September 22, 2012 at 8:40 AM

And those “issues” would be what?

JackieB on September 22, 2012 at 9:52 AM