AP: Benghazi consulate attack was led by 50 masked men using “military tactics”; Update: Libyan officials “absolutely convinced” attack was planned

posted at 6:36 pm on September 21, 2012 by Allahpundit

I don’t want to inch too far out on the limb here, but I’m starting to suspect that this was preplanned.

U.S. intelligence indicates that 50 or more people, many of them masked, were responsible for the Sept. 11 assault on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi. Gun trucks provided added firepower. The attackers set up a perimeter, controlling access in and out of the compound. A first wave of attacks sent the Americans fleeing to a fallback building, where a second group of extremists beset them with precise mortar fire.

Intelligence reports were still coming in, but officials told The Associated Press that what may have initially seemed like a protest over an anti-Islam movie that had spun out of control now showed the hallmarks of a more sophisticated operation.

In a country coming off a civil war, a level of battlefield savvy does not prove the attack on the compound was planned well in advance. How much planning went into the operation and whether it could have been detected or prevented remain unanswered questions, officials said.

I’ve made this point before, but the debate we’re mired in over how “preplanned” the operation was is so stupid that it’s worth making again. Isn’t it more damning of the administration if the attack was planned in a few hours rather than a few weeks? If your consulate is smack dab in the middle of an area that’s teeming with jihadist groups that are heavily armed, battle-seasoned, and able to operate with impunity thanks to a barely functioning central government, then it’s incumbent upon the State Department to provide strong security at the consulate. You can’t rely on U.S. intelligence to detect and disrupt a plot in advance, since there are too many militias to keep close tabs on and there won’t necessarily be much “advance” time. You need armed troops prepared for the worst already in place. What did we get instead? Ask the Wall Street Journal:

U.S. officials issued alerts and ordered security precautions in neighboring Egypt ahead of protests and violence on Sept. 11, but largely overlooked the possibility of trouble at other diplomatic postings in the region.

The State Department chose to maintain only limited security in Benghazi, Libya, despite months of sporadic attacks there on U.S. and other Western missions. And while the U.S. said it would ask Libya to boost security there, it did so just once, for a one-week period in June, according to Libyan officials.

The U.S. didn’t seriously consider sending in the military during the attack. It summoned rapid-response teams of Marines only after the U.S. ambassador was dead. State Department officials said they doubted the Pentagon could have mobilized a rescue force quickly enough to make a difference during the fighting. The Pentagon waited for guidance from State, which is responsible for diplomatic security, a senior military official said…

The apparent lapses extended to firefighting equipment. Rescue attempts at the main building were thwarted in part by the absence of smoke-protection masks and fire extinguishers, said Libyan guards.

To repeat: Insofar as some sort of sophisticated attack on the consulate was foreseeable from the day the building opened, it was “preplanned” — and yet, presumably to keep a “light footprint” in the area and not antagonize local jihadists with an American “occupation” presence, Chris Stevens was left essentially defenseless. The Libyans who own the villa rented by U.S. diplomats told Reuters they were shocked to see how few precautions were taken, basically nothing beyond the kind of security cameras and barbed wire that middle-class Benghazians already use. There weren’t even concentric rings of security to defend the building if/when the outer wall was first breached.

Here’s House Armed Services Committee chair Buck McKeon tenderly noting, “You hate to think that the president would purposely mislead the American people, but it sure looks like it to me.” Exit question: Has anyone come up with a solid explanation yet for how this militia knew Stevens was at the consulate that night? He wasn’t based in Benghazi, remember; the embassy is in Tripoli. He was there temporarily, and yet somehow the local jihadis caught him at just the right moment. Amazing how they managed to put together a “spontaneous” attack on a night when Stevens just happened to be in town, huh?

Update: Go figure.

About 100 attackers carried out a “coordinated assault” last week on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, intelligence sources tell Fox News, further discrediting earlier Obama administration claims that the deadly attack was a “spontaneous” outburst in response to an anti-Islam film.

Fox News’ sources say the attack came in two waves and involved rocket-propelled grenades, as well as mortar fire, and both the consulate and safe house were attacked seemingly with inside knowledge.

Libyan officials are now “absolutely convinced” the attack was preplanned, sources say, adding to recent indications that Al Qaeda was involved, specifically a former Guantanamo detainee named Sufyan Ben Qumu.

It’s as self-serving for Libyan officials to believe it was preplanned as it is for U.S. intel to believe it was spontaneous, as it slightly mitigates their failure to defend the consulate. But the facts sure are on their side. A hundred attackers, in two separate waves? Sounds like the only thing that was “spontaneous” about this was the tip they got from inside the consulate that Stevens was in the building.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

This makes no sense, at all.

Not one bit of it.

ajacksonian on September 21, 2012 at 7:34 PM

What bothers me most is how quickly the four deaths became old news, very little coverage or outrage. The story quickly became about the film and Islamaphobia. This is frightening.

Fallon on September 21, 2012 at 7:39 PM

To be fair to a Gentleman of with class, W didn’t write this, W didn’t know his Islam from his elbow.

BL@KBIRD on September 21, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Well maybe he should have learned a little about Islam so he did know his Islam from his elbow before preaching to the American people how super duper wonderful Islam was. We would be a whole lot better off if he had just made the effort. There would be a whole lot more American troops still alive and with all their arms and legs. It wouldn’t have taken much time at all either.

VorDaj on September 21, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Fallon on September 21, 2012 at 7:39 PM

The Islamaphobia junk is the MFM parroting the Muslim Brotherhood’s plan to elevate it into a ‘victim’ in the US.

The making it of ‘old news’ is the photo-op done with the bodies upon their return. So easy to sweep it under the rug once Obama has shown ‘compassion’… don’t mind the fact he got a good night’s rest knowing these men were being killed.

Stinks doesn’t even begin to describe any part of this.

ajacksonian on September 21, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I believe this is right. I’ve tried to find the ABC story but can’t right now. The report said the one of the SEALS had earlier told ABC News that he was there to find SAM’s. He had nothing to do with the security detail but obviously fought to his death.
d1carter on September 21, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Ah, here ya go, ABC News:
American Killed in Libya Was on Intel Mission to Track Weapons

whatcat on September 21, 2012 at 7:45 PM

We need to ask the question:

Were the weapons used against our Ambassador and the other Americans killed supplied by the Obama administration?

Fallon on September 21, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Fast and Furious II?

UnderstandingisPower on September 21, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Could be wrong, don’t know the source or remember where I read it or even if it was just speculation. But it said Stevens was actually CIA on a mission to track the weapons or something like that.

UnderstandingisPower on September 21, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Huma Abedin, for one. Likely many others as well, but she is the best placed.

LegendHasIt on September 21, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Yeah sure, go for the low hanging fruit. But many will tell you she is a Patriotic All American girl born in Kalamazoo, how ‘Merican izzat? True, she left for finishing school in Saudi Arabia a little early at two years old but Mohammed married a woman of six so it shows that Muslim women are independent at a younger age than Infidels. And true, her family are a first family in the Muslim Brotherhood but a modern American woman on the go can easily distinguish and juggle between work and family obligations. So who set him up? It’s Islam so we may never know.

BL@KBIRD on September 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Whilst channel surfing a half hour or so ago I came upon PBS AmateurNewHour where some shady goofball calling himself a dean of journalism (very creepy in a David “undertaker” Bonior sort of way) who was still trying to pimp the “blame the video” narrative. Thus, the Public Brainwashing System is still pushing a flash-mob excuse diversion for Zero.

Of course, that PBS interview smelled about a pre-planned as the Benghazi attack with the PBS host lapping it up with the zeal of a paid Obama campaign fainter. As the truth outs it will be interesting to see how PBS / DNC spins the new set of look! over there! excuses to replace the current set of look! over there! excuses.

viking01 on September 21, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I guess arming Mexican drug cartels wasn’t enough for the Oministration. That plan was such a resounding success, they decided to take the program global.

/Smart. Power.

Key West Reader on September 21, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Why do we have a consulate in Benghazi anyway? To serve the hordes of jihadists looking for tourist visas to the Great Satan?

KGB on September 21, 2012 at 7:57 PM

SIR,

Hello my name is SSG Matthew Sitton. I am in the 82nd Airborne Division stationed in Ft. Bragg, NC. I am currently deployed with the 4th Brigade Combat Team in support of Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan. I am writing you because I am concerned for the safety of my soldiers. This is my 3rd combat tour to Afghanistan so I have seen the transition in Rules of Engagement and Overall Tactics over the past 6 years.

I am only writing this email because I feel myself and my soldiers are being put into unnecessary positions where harm and danger are imminent. I know the threat of casualties in war and am totally on board with sacrifice for my country, but what I don’t agree with is the chain of command making us walk through, for lack of a better term, basically a mine field on a daily basis.

I am in a platoon of 25 soldiers. We are operating at a tempo that is set for a full 35-40 man infantry platoon. We have been mandated to patrol twice daily for 2-4 hours each patrol on top of guarding our FOB and conducting routine maintenance of our equipment. There is no endstate or purpose for the patrols given to us from our higher chain of command, only that we will be out for a certain time standard. I am all for getting on the ground and fighting for my country when I know there is a desired endstate and we have clear guidance of what needs to be done. But when we are told basically to just walk around for a certain amount of time is not sitting well with me.

As a Brigade, we are averaging at a minimum an amputee a day from our soldiers because we are walking around aimlessly through grape rows and compounds that are littered with explosives. Not to mention that the operation tempo that every solider is on leaves little to no time for rest and refit. The moral and alertness levels on our patrol are low and it is causing casualties left and right.

Here is an example of how bad things have gotten. Our small FOB was flooded accidentally by a local early one morning a few days ago. He was watering his fields and the damn he had broke and water came flooding into our Living Area. Since our FOB does not have any portable bathrooms, we had to dig a hole in the ground where soldiers could use the bathroom. That also got flooded and contaminated all the water that later soaked every soldier and his gear. Instead of returning to base and cleaning up, our chain of command was so set on us meeting the brigade commanders 2 patrols a day guidance that they made us move outside the flooded FOB and conduct our patrols soaked in urine.

That is just one single instance of the unsatisfactory situations that our chain of command has put us in. At least three of my soldiers have gotten sick since that incident and taken away from our combat power because of their illness caused by unhealthy conditions.

I understand that as a commander you are to follow the orders of those appointed over you however there needs to be a time where the wellness of your soldiers needs to take priority over walking around in fields for hours a day for no rhyme or reason, but only to meet the Brigade Commanders guidance of you will conduct so many patrols for such an allotted time.

I’m concerned about the well being of my soldiers and have tried to voice my opinion through the proper channels of my own chain of command only to be turned away and told that I need to stop complaining. It is my responsibility to take care of my soldiers and there is only so much I can do with that little bit of Rank I have. My guys would fight by my side and have my back in any condition and I owe it to them to have their best interest in mind. I know they would and I certainly would appreciate it if there was something that you could do to help us out. I just want to return my guys home to their families healthy. I apologize for taking your time like this Sir, and I do appreciate what you do for us. I was told to contact you by my Grand Mother (name blacked out) who said that you had helped her son (my uncle) (name blacked) out many years ago. He also was serving in the military at the time. Thank you again for allowing soldiers like me to voice their opinion. If anything Please Pray for us over hear. God Bless

Very respectfully,

SSG Matthew Sitton

VorDaj on September 21, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Pantload is an incompetent child…

Seven Percent Solution on September 21, 2012 at 8:00 PM

BL@KBIRD on September 21, 2012 at 7:24 PM

VorDaj on September 21, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Kill everything in view instead of nation building, absolutely. But, Bush has been retired for almost four years and Bush didn’t go around the Muslim world apologizing. I have my issues with Bush, but this flaming turd belongs to Obama.

RovesChins on September 21, 2012 at 8:00 PM

ajacksonian on September 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Most likely a CIA operative.

kenny on September 21, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Most likely a CIA operative.

kenny on September 21, 2012 at 8:02 PM

That is what I’m coming up with via the negative theorem… doing the Sherlockian bit of whatever is left must be the answer.

The Company has really fallen on hard times if this is the best they can do.

ajacksonian on September 21, 2012 at 8:11 PM

And by all means be SURE not to mention how today regular Libyan citizens converged on the Islamist groups Ansar Al-Sharia’s(the jihadis allegedly behind the attack)HQ’s today, ran them off, and took complete control of the compound, wanting to show that they are the REAL Libyan people and that they don’t support the actions of terrorists.

Better to continue to try to get mileage against the democrats out of the story and send your readers into full “we should just bomb the sh*t out of them all!!!” mentality, allowing all Muslims to be painted with their single color tainted brush.

Muslims, of their own accord, took on islamic fundamentalists today because of what they did. We won’t win this battle without the help of people like them. But by all means, continue to stoke the election fires, we all know that’s more important, for clicks.

We should be praising those people right now and providing positive reinforcement rather than continuing to fan resentment because the story angle that provokes it is better electioneering.

Boomer_Sooner on September 21, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Why does it matter if it was preplanned or not?

Politricks on September 21, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Because we’ve had a week where the President, the Secretary of State, the Ambassador to the UN, and a host of lesser officials of our government stating that this was the Muslim version of spring break in Daytona Beach. A bunch of peaceful folk showed up to protest that evil movie trailer and then others showed up with RPGs and everything got out of control.

I’m sorry for the loss of life but the real story here is the lies the administration has told over this past week.

Happy Nomad on September 21, 2012 at 8:17 PM

KGB on September 21, 2012 at 7:57 PM

That’s not the recommended way of describing first rate grade A diversity assets. Stuff like that creates unpleasantness like Major General Hasan down in Fort Hood there. Apparently, the longer his beard grows the more Rip VanWinkley sleeps justice.

And there are great numbers of ancient abandoned Mosques in the Libyan Desert that America is repairing out of love and respect for Islam. Mosques don’t repair themselves you know.

BL@KBIRD on September 21, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I didn’t hear the whole thing, but I think I heard Glenn Beck say that he is convinced Stevens was really a CIA operative who was the pivot point for the arms trade.

SouthernGent on September 21, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Boomer_Sooner on September 21, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Yeah, right. And tomorrow they will be part of an Islamic mob raging against the U.S., cartoons, books, obscure Youtube videos or whatever their excuse du jour for savagery.

whatcat on September 21, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Boomer_Sooner on September 21, 2012 at 8:16 PM

That made me feel so good and hopeful. Even if every thing else is a lie, this has to be the only non lie in the bunch.

Still they may just have been members of a desert Cargo Cult hoping for a little largess from the innocents abroad and doing a little performance art……..like a flashmob organized on Fezbook.

BL@KBIRD on September 21, 2012 at 8:30 PM

SouthernGent on September 21, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Yup, that’s his theory. Sent there to avoid another F&F embarrassment for the Administration by trying to round up/buy back US supplied arms from the Muslim “militias”.

whatcat on September 21, 2012 at 8:34 PM

BL@KBIRD on September 21, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Or paid by the “moderates” in Libya, so as to please the Obama Admin.

whatcat on September 21, 2012 at 8:37 PM

…has Susan Rice been waken from her long nap yet…or is the government media still trying not to wake her?

KOOLAID2 on September 21, 2012 at 8:43 PM

BL@KBIRD on September 21, 2012 at 8:30 PM

By Jove, I think you are on the right track there at the end.

whatcat on September 21, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Or lull the American People back to sleep.

LegendHasIt on September 21, 2012 at 8:50 PM

SouthernGent on September 21, 2012 at 8:23 PM

As Glenn says: do your own homework.

Spend a few hours on a couple of search engines looking for his background. John Christopher Stephens is how the State Dept has it… and if they screwed up the spelling of his NAME after being their EMPLOYEE then that should tell you loads on its own.

I’ve spent about 5 hours here and there on that… not only on general searches but at some of my more favorite sites to check out for organized crime, terrorism, and stuff like donations to political campaigns. I get a big blank on his background. And I do mean NOTHING beyond the razor thin bio.

That leads me to see things one way…

And if you do find any hits, take a look at the metadata and see when the pages were put up as that is usually overlooked in these things.

ajacksonian on September 21, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Imagine the White House that night .

burrata on September 21, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Just the thought of it creeps me out! lol

kakypat on September 21, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Or paid by the “moderates” in Libya, so as to please the Obama Admin.
whatcat on September 21, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Watch out folks, we got one throwing out completely unsubstantiated conspiracy theories about those involved, and their personal motivations.

Bet anyone who disagrees with you on the Internet is just paid to do so as well, huh. Cause I mean, who could ever possibly disagree with a one-demensional world view?! That’s just crazy!

Boomer_Sooner on September 21, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Not that I’m the suspicious sort or anything like that… but something reeks to high heaven on this entire Libyan fiasco from start to our current, bloody point.

ajacksonian on September 21, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Boomer_Sooner on September 21, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I just saw that news on another site! It’s very encouraging! Very nice post!

30,000 peace activists marched in Benghazi today in a mass protest against Islamic militias. It was a terrific event until the Islamists fired on the protesters wounding 8 people.

kakypat on September 21, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Boomer_Sooner on September 21, 2012 at 8:55 PM

If you want to buy the whole “it was a YouTube video – but now they’re peaceful as usual again” line, you’re most certainly welcome to it. Though that should qualify as one of the most moronic “conspiracy theories” ever to hit the planet. But embrace it, if you insist.

whatcat on September 21, 2012 at 9:09 PM

whatcat on September 21, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Actually, I don’t buy the whole it was over a video bs, because im not an idiot and can read more than one source or slant and think for myself. Attacking that consulate on 9/11 was cleary premeditated.

I believe there were protests of the movie, especially once it started and people heard about it and saw it for the first time. But this was clearly something more.

But what’s that you say? You mean our government didn’t tell us the whole truth? Oh my god! Wow! You can’t imagine how shocked I am right now. I would never have believed that could happen! What is this world coming to?! America is gone!

Oh wait, you mean every single administration and assemblage of a political party in congress has lied or given us half-truths for some reason since our nations founding?

Thaaaat is right, huh? Guess I won’t draw out my righteous indignation on behalf of one political party over the other just so I can have them lie to me when they get in.

Yeah, the White House has tried to play it as only about the movie and spontaneous. But you gotta be an idiot not to know better, even more so to feign shock, and more so over again to consider yourself a free-thinking human bring while carrying the water for folks who aren’t gonna, and never have, treated you any differently.

This is about more than politics. And our AMERICAN politics are so entrenchedly stupid and irreelevant to anything in our actual lives, that what the white house says and whether they told us the whole truth doesn’t even raise the kneedle at all.

I couldn’t really care less what our governments official story is, because I’m not an idiot. Mitt will do it too, and so will/has the republican party every time. Just like the democrats.

Boomer_Sooner on September 21, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Boomer_Sooner on September 21, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Although your problem here is in not being aware of the nature of the ideology and the long, barbaric history of Islam itself. In 1785, Thomas Jefferson noted of Libya; “It was written in their Koran, that all nations which had not acknowledged the Prophet were sinners, whom it was the right and duty of the faithful to plunder and enslave; and that every mussulman who was slain in this warfare was sure to go to paradise.” And on it goes – different day, same shiite.

whatcat on September 21, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I don’t think it’s self-serving for the Libyans to say it was preplanned at all-Obama only supports those who are his supporters and say what he wants.

I think it took guts to disagree with the Boy King, who says it was all spontaneous and who also happens to have the checkbook.

PattyJ on September 21, 2012 at 10:18 PM

whatcat on September 21, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Ever heard of a little thing called “Manifest Destiny”? Same long barbaric history, different day.

The point is, unless you really plan to have a clash of the civilizations war of Christrians/Jews VS The Muslims and really think you can kill it out of existence, then a reformation of Islam much like Cristianity’s is what one must encourage, and only fight those who violently fight us. Christians don’t take every word of the bible as literally as Muslims do because of the moderation that has taken place in our faith. Crazy eff’d up passages and events are in the bible too that if one wanted to, they could twist to use in support of violence.

But the average Christian doesn’t think that way and they just skip over, ignore, or attempt to rationalize those parts of the doctrine. There a literally millions upon millions of Muslims who are just normal people who do the same and still find honest strength and reward in their faith, just like Christians.

Normal Muslims beginning to take on more fundamentalist Muslims, like in this event, should be praised, encouraged, and appreciated. They are the hope for a reformation. Unless you really think you can kill’em all, it’d be wise to be a free thinking adult about things like this instead of a knee-jerk reactionary who hasn’t met very many Muslims.

That’s why we need these people. Because its either kill’em all, or kill who you must and work towards deligitimizing fundamentalism. And we don’t have THAT many bullets and a clash of the civilizations will destroy us too, even if it was won.

Boomer_Sooner on September 21, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Goodnight folks. Was glad to see a piece of good news come out of the middle east for a change today. Even if it was small in the big scheme of things. A position advancement and a small win, but not the war, and not even the immediate battle we’re in.

Boomer_Sooner on September 21, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Very respectfully,

SSG Matthew Sitton

VorDaj on September 21, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Dear Staff Sergeant Matthew Sitton.

I have to applaud your service to our country… but I am also appalled as to the deplorable conditions you are fighting in. Any officer in any chain of command who does nothing to fix said conditions does not deserve his rank and should not needlessly endanger you or your fighting men.

It’s bad enough you have to walk through what seem to be minefields on steroids. It’s worse still given the conditions of your FOB.

I pray for your safety on a daily basis.

Sincerely

Charles Hammond Jr.

Chaz706 on September 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Boomer_Sooner on September 21, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Good night Boomer, I can only say that Islam is unable to be reformed from within or without. The words of the Qur’an are the precise words of and expressing the will of God. Where do you begin to change the words of God? Islam has no notion of the Western mindset and reason and rationality are not familiar terms in Islam. They should be allowed the dignity of being acknowledged as possible and capable of having a thought process and mental landscape that may be quite different from high Western thought.

BL@KBIRD on September 21, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Boomer_Sooner on September 21, 2012 at 10:47 PM

As I said, you are uniformed about the very nature and history of Islam. To Muslims, Bin Laden was the perfect example of a “normal Muslim”. The heart of what you’re missing lies in the fact that Islam was established from the get-go to be a political system of plundering and control through violence, murder and savagery. That is it’s raison d’être.

whatcat on September 21, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Were the security cameras on and has anyone seen what’s on them? Any chance the PUBLIC would get a glimpse?

ellifint on September 21, 2012 at 11:34 PM

whatcat on September 21, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Gotta love experts on a religion who sound like they haven’t really known a single Muslim your lifespan.

Boomer_Sooner on September 22, 2012 at 8:13 AM

*in your entire lifespan.

Boomer_Sooner on September 22, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Benghazi is Fast & Furious, only going after the 1st amendment instead of the 2nd.

The Muslim Brotherhood have the ultimate inside agent in Barack Hussein Obama — who has said when the political going got tough, he’d be on the side of the Muslims in his book “The Audacity of Hope.”

He’s clearly not on the side of our people in harms way. The lie about the film is so bold, so in-your-face, and so easy to refute, and yet, it doesn’t matter, because like every other third world dictator wannabe, Baby Raila Odinga has the entire MSM on his side.

It is long past time to be afraid for our country and our freedoms are being widdled away not by incompetence but on purpose and with malice aforethought.

Someday, when the truth of this is obvious in retrospect, a lot of people are going to feel very, deeply wronged. But it will be too late.

bobcalco on September 22, 2012 at 9:27 AM