Video: Obama now pretending he doesn’t know how much the national debt is

posted at 5:21 pm on September 19, 2012 by Allahpundit

Am I giving him too much credit in thinking that he does know — rounding within, say, a trillion dollars — and is simply playing dumb to deflect an “unhelpful” question, or have we reached the point where we’re hemorrhaging money so quickly that even the president can’t keep count? C’mon. The Five Trillion Dollar Man knows.

Here’s a better question: Why did Letterman broach this subject? Partisan that he is, there were a million things he could have asked O to make life easier for him (“Tell us the story about killing Osama Bin Laden again, papa”) and yet he asked him about one of his biggest political liabilities. I’m thinking the White House must have requested the question because this was their big chance to speak directly to casual voters in rebutting one of the GOP’s strongest attacks, and that Dave somehow wandered off-script by trying to pin Obama down on the number. Or it could be that, in his own odd way, he was trying to help O out by purposely floating a much lower figure on the debt ($10 trillion) for the benefit of semi-comatose low-information voters. The problem with that, though, is that “$10 trillion” is likely as startling a figure to an LIV as “$16 trillion” given that they have no mental benchmarks on federal spending over the past decade to reference. Can’t figure out why Dave would bring it up.

No serious talk of entitlement reform here. Of course.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

BettyRuth on September 19, 2012 at 6:31 PM

BettyRuth, maybe this is what BB was talking about.??

Former Gitmo prisoner carried out Iraq attack

By Ben Fox – The Associated Press
Posted : Wednesday May 7, 2008 5:42:59 EDT

avagreen on September 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM

He’s also a dwarf. He was two people ahead of me at the TSA gates at Reagan National a few months ago. I’m guessing he must be in a booster seat on the FNC set.

Happy Nomad on September 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Ah! Short and stupid, always a winning combination.

BettyRuth on September 19, 2012 at 7:01 PM

avagreen on September 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Thank goodness, I have my HotAir friends to keep me from thinking I’ve lost my mind- I kept refreshing Drudge, thinking it’d be there, but nothing. Either they’re waiting for confirmation, or I’m alone in thinking this is a huge deal. (at least I heard what I thought I heard!)

BettyRuth on September 19, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Did I imagine this, or did Brett Bair just say that they think the mastermind of the embassy attack was a prisoner at Gitmo that we let go? Did I hear that? I was doing some other stuff, but I thought he said it was a prisoner that we released to Libya on the “promise” that he would be incarcerated there? and of course, wasn’t.

wow.

BettyRuth on September 19, 2012 at 6:31 PM

This was sorta known back in the hours after the attack but then the administration went on the Sunday talk shows and said it was all spontaneous. A bunch of angry Muslims protesting, a band of thugs showing up with the rocket grenade launchers, and an hours long battle complete with direct and indirect fire, counter-attack, and strategic defense “just happened.”

Happy Nomad on September 19, 2012 at 7:11 PM

BettyRuth on September 19, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I was wrong…….you were right.

Report: Suspect in U.S. ambassador’s death is al Qaeda member
By Julian Pecquet – 09/19/12 06:32 PM ET

One of the suspects in last week’s attack that killed the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other Americans is a likely al Qaeda member who was released from Guantanamo Bay in 2007, Fox News reported Wednesday.

avagreen on September 19, 2012 at 7:13 PM

16,000,000,000,000 Is this the correct number? 0′s is 5,000,000,000,000, correct? I’m bei ng serious here. Its more 0′s than I have ever used to describe an amount.

Bmore on September 19, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Here’s another link quoting from Bret Baier

On tonight’s Special Report, Bret Baier reported on an exclusive breaking news alert: intelligence sources are convinced the Mideast attack on the U.S. Consulate in Libya was directly tied to Al Qaeda.

avagreen on September 19, 2012 at 7:17 PM

avagreen on September 19, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Now the trolls will be here to tell us how it is all Bush’s fault.

burrata on September 19, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Happy Nomad on September 19, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Happy Nomad on September 19, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Well, I knew the attack didn’t, “just happen”, but am I off base in thinking this is (if true) a REALLY bad slap at Barry and and his sleezy DOJ for letting this guy go?

BettyRuth on September 19, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Hmmmm Bill Clinton got rid of All the debt……….interesting

Doesn’t remember………debt$$ (8.8 trillion when Pelosi took over in 2007)

“Short term……… Long term…..and EVEN MEDIUM TERM “………. WTF IS MEDIUM TERM???

Tell me this fraud did NOT just go John Cocktoastin on National TV ! ( name the movie ….anyone )

What a freakin dope ! Let’s see those transcripts NOW !

FlaMurph on September 19, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Add ‘ignorant’ to Obama’s list of job qualifications.

locomotivebreath1901 on September 19, 2012 at 7:22 PM

avagreen on September 19, 2012 at 7:13 PM

I meant for my last post to be Happy Nomad and avagreen.

I really was not meant to mutitask.

BettyRuth on September 19, 2012 at 7:23 PM

The Obumbler, “Come on Dave, I just spend Da cash, I don’t counts it, Silly White Boy”. He just be keeping its realz…

Tbone McGraw on September 19, 2012 at 7:24 PM

BettyRuth on September 19, 2012 at 7:19 PM

No but don’t get your hopes up that anything will happen. Not the first time that alumni of Gitmo have been caught killing Americans.

Happy Nomad on September 19, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Remember when Bush didn’t know that gas was almost $4/gallon and the lapdog media/Democrats went bonkers?

There’s a reason why the Democrats haven’t bothered to pass a budget in three years, they don’t want spending limits and don’t care about debt.

Like shopaholics who spend/charge recklessly they have no idea how much debt they are in and do not want to know. But with politicians it’s not their money it’s ours.

bailey24 on September 19, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Here’s a better question: Why did Letterman broach this subject?

Firstly, do you really think he wants to be on record as not knowing the debt? Secondly, your better question is irrelevant fluff.

Baier of Fox News blew this by reporting that Obama couldn’t remember the debt when he took over – which is bad enough, but not nearly as bad as not knowing it now.

Basilsbest on September 19, 2012 at 7:29 PM

burrata on September 19, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Can’t help what idiots think/say.

They’d probably blame Monday for coming before Tuesday, and not giving Wednesday a fair chance. There are several in every woodpile.

*shrug*

Maybe they should be re-directed to this:

Bush issues warning on peril of releasing Gitmo prisoners

The Washington Times

Tuesday, June 21, 200
Question of the Day

President Bush yesterday promised to abide by a court ruling on whether Guantanamo Bay prisoners should receive civilian trials, although he warned they might resume attacks on Americans if released…..

avagreen on September 19, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Thank you! I’m not at a place where TV is available to me right now, I thought I was losing my mind! If this is factual, Romney needs to wrap this around Barry’s neck until he chokes.

BettyRuth on September 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Hi Betty, Sorry I did not get more details to you. Had to put dinner on the table for the hubby. Looks like others have provided the details. And yes, we need to hang it on Barry.

esr1951 on September 19, 2012 at 7:33 PM

avagreen on September 19, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Good find!

esr1951 on September 19, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Lou Dobbs reporting right now about BB’s earlier report about the detainee from Gitmo being behind the attack.

How will Bummer lie about this?

avagreen on September 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Seriously, how F’ing dumb is this idiot ?

So desperate to avoid providing Romney with campaign fodder that he is willing to look like a complete bumbling fool ? Good lord. Does the Obama campaign / administration honestly think it looks Presidential on such a pivotal issue to be so in the dark you don’t know a number you could find in half a second with google ?

Seriously ?

Nevermind the “two wars on a credit card” totalled roughly $1 Trillion over a decade, LESS than the Obama deficit from any single year of his presidency. The idea that the wars have significantly impacted the deficit compared to the out of control spending under Obama is an insult. At least be honest and blame Medicare part D. But then, that would be a specific government program that the 47% love, so we could never cast aspersion at that.

deadrody on September 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM

The GOP and Romney is should make an ad out of this and run with it, showing that obama doesn’t even know or doesn’t care how much we are in debt.

ConservativePartyNow on September 19, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Exactly. Isn’t “not knowing the number” actually WORSE than saying it outloud ? The man is an incompetent POS. It is a disgrace that he is in charge of this great nation. A nation scandal, really.

deadrody on September 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM

ConservativePartyNow on September 19, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Yup.

talkingpoints on September 19, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I loved the way Letterman pressed him on those numbers. Go get ‘em, Tiger!

/s

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM

A L I N S K Y

tom daschle concerned on September 19, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Not surprinsing. As Zero told Paul Ryan during the healthcare debate, “I don’t want to get too bogged down in the numbers.”

HellCat on September 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Allah, just maybe “The Smartest Man in the World” doesn’t know. TO KNOW would necessarily IMPLY that HE CARED.

GarandFan on September 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I remember how much it is. It Kiss My A$$ big you incompetent fool.

phxconservative on September 19, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Is Obama smarter than a fifth grader? Because there are plenty of fifth graders who would remember that number after having been told as many times as Obama.

He lied to Letterman’s face… I wonder if Dave has realized that yet. Most people are irritated when people lie to them.

This is far worse a “gaffe” than anything Romney has said. And in fact if it had been Romney lying like that… you can bet we would be hearing this over and over for days if not months… and the race would be over again.

So I bet the RNC, the PACs, and the campaign are all deciding how best to exploit this… there has been quite alot of news today.

The terrorist stuff needs discussed now… but there will come a time when this will get the attention it deserves… Hey obama Romney is lying in wait… when will it blow up in your face? Nervous? You should be.

petunia on September 19, 2012 at 9:49 PM

He lied to Letterman’s face… I wonder if Dave has realized that yet. Most people are irritated when people lie to them….

petunia on September 19, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Not a chance, in fact I’m sure Letterboy apologized for hours after for asking what turned out to be a difficult question for such a dumbass president.

slickwillie2001 on September 19, 2012 at 9:57 PM

“short term – long term” ………..I get that…..

What the hell does TelePrompTer boy mean by ” medium” term? Who says this?

Is this new Obamanomics jargon? Somebody let this guy ” be clear”

Should we be worried about the medium term anyway?

As he has effed up the short term and long term economy- maybe there is safety in the “medium term” ?

I’m still getting over “The buck stops with you”

Even Sarah be thy name is face palming over this.

FlaMurph on September 19, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I despise this evil man for trying to cut off health care to my 82 year old mother and my disabled child. Medicare now pays so little that my mother has already ended up in the hospital because the group of doctors she sees will only see a few Medicare patients per day. For any toher Medicare patients it’s just too bad – they won’t see them.My mother now todders around so much since this incident that my sister is convinced she is going to fall, get seriously injured, and go downhill into permanent decline. My mother tried to find another doctor after this but no doctor in her city will take new Medicare patients.

I also despise Obummer for destroying our childrens’ future. My 15 year old son and his firends (who attend a private Christian high school) are all worried about their futures.

sherrimae on September 19, 2012 at 10:48 PM

The Obozo can’t remember “Precisely” what the national debt was when he took office!!! Unless you had a stop watch and a computer the size of Rhode Island, nobody else does either. This ‘precisely’ answer is a total cop out, and the ignorant Letterman doesn’t realize that the President is puffing smoke up his alimentary canal exit portal. Could it be that Dave likes this kind of puffing?

How about we take a rounding error of, lets say… a few hundred billion. If we accept the ‘hundred billion or so’ rounding, then even a buffoon like Letterman knows that “Precisely” was an answer designed to show how stupid the currently present questioning buffoon, is. But then, “Stupid is, as stupid does”. Ain’t that right Letterman?

This ‘precisely’ is like, a man telling his partner, “I can’t remember precisely the length of my penis is because it depends on the stimulus”. (Sorry to be crude ladies.)

Oh yeah, I don’t care if you have a penis or don’t, Prez Obozo’s stimulus ain’t working so good, is it? Five trillion+ has been added to the national debt. Did you get your part? If you did, then God bless you, but remember, this dept will be paid back. Paid back either by taxes or inflation, probably, both. Whether you pay income taxes or not, you and your descendents will participate in repaying this bill.

WestTexasBirdDog on September 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM

After today, my students know precisely how much moolah their generation is going to have to come up with.

Cruel of me, I know. :)

Bob's Kid on September 20, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Obama = just too damn cool for school.

“Come on man, how do I know what the debt is? I’m choomin’, baby.”

smfic on September 20, 2012 at 9:21 AM