Video: America’s got a fee-vah and the only prescription is more “Hobbit” trailers

posted at 8:11 pm on September 19, 2012 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate. The first trailer, released nine months ago, was a quick look at Hobbitville or whatever it’s called, presumably because that’s most of what Peter Jackson had shot to that point. Nine months later, you’re finally getting a look at the full sweep of the trilogy. LOTR isn’t my cup of tea, but I may go see it purely for the photography and F/X. If there’s a better-looking series of films ever made, I don’t know what it is.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

looks like they are going to butcher a fine piece of literature to make a glorified cgi tale.

dwarves standing on impossible cliff edges
subplots not in the origninal movie

I see signs of the few wrong things in LOTR

next we’ll see dwarves body surfing down the Brandywine ala Legolas

audiotom on September 20, 2012 at 9:09 AM

definitely read the book before the movie comes out,
not after

audiotom on September 20, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I can’t even make it through the trailer – terrible.

Pork-Chop on September 20, 2012 at 11:02 AM

My understanding is that only the rights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings were sold–the rights to any of Tolkien’s other works were not sold and still belong to the family. Therefore, anything that is mentioned only in Tolkien’s other works cannot be included in any of these films.

I’ve read The Silmarillion (minus one chapter) a few times–the key for me was reading the first chapter, putting the book down and then letting it sink in. Started back up again, read the first chapter again and then the second. Wash, rinse, repeat. After the first three or four chapters I was able to sail on until I hit the chapter “Of Beleriand and Its Realms.’ It’s nearly all geography and boring as sludge. I finally just skipped that chapter and the rest of the book was a breeze.

As for PJ’s version of ‘The Hobbit’–I was not thrilled with the interpretation of the dwarves, but I’ve gotten over it. I am delighted with what we’ve seen so far of Martin Freeman as Bilbo–I think he’s just perfect. I’m also amused by the fact that we have Benedict Cumberbatch as the voice of Smaug–Cumberbatch is Sherlock Holmes to Freeman’s Watson in BBC’s ‘Sherlock’. Excellent modern day adaptation, I highly recommend it.

Niere on September 20, 2012 at 11:15 AM

This is one of the only fictional books I’ve ever read, and I loved it. Then I decided to read LotR and got half way thru the second book and just couldn’t go on. Loved the movies, though.

I would guess that reading The Hobbit today wouldn’t be as fulfilling because you wouldn’t really be imagining these characters with your own mind’s eye but instead you’d be imagining Jackson’s characters and atmospheres when reading it because you’ve already seen LotR.

Buddahpundit on September 20, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Tolkien created an entire world with a vast history that is deep and rich enough to study in a scholarly manner. In a way reading the Silmarillion and The Book of Lost Tales I and II can be a labor of love. But if you can make it through them a couple times you end up with a more cohesive view of Tolkien’s vision. I would say the narrative is similiar in style to the bible and is best when read in a similiar mind set.

To illustrate the scale of Tolkien’s history keep in mind that the Lord of the Rings storyline took place from years 3018-3019 of the Third Age of the world. The summarized battle with Sauron at the beginning of the first movie took place in the year 3441 of the Second Age. The first age was basically a 600 year epic struggle agasint Sauron’s boss Morgoth in which the elves, men, and dwarves held Morgoth under siege for rough 400 years.

To illustrate how it is even deeper these three ages are actually only the Three Ages of the Sun. The first rising of the sun heralded men into the world as they awoke for the first time. Before the sun had risen for the first time there was roughly 5000 years divided into 3 distinct ages. These ages were the Valian Years when the Ainur dwelt alone in Arda, the Years of the Lamps, when two collosal lamps lit all of Arda, and the Years of the Trees, where two trees lit the world.

One Good Man on September 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM