Ann Romney on “47 percent”: Writing people off? Not even a little bit

posted at 12:01 pm on September 19, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Ann Romney appeared for an interview on a Fox affiliate last night, and when asked specifically about the hullabaloo over Mitt Romney’s ’47 percent’ comments and whether or not, as Team Obama insists, Romney was showing “disdain” for almost half of America, I gotta’ say — I think she handled it well. She’s hitting a lot of the right notes here, via BuzzFeed:

“…He is talking about what’s happening in America right now and how more and more people are falling into poverty, in particular, women are falling into poverty. There is a concern on his part, which is why he’s running, is that he wants to make sure to bring better economic opportunities for everyone. …If you really do listen to everything that he does say, he’s talking about what we’re facing in America right now. We’re facing some really difficult situations, and if we don’t take corrective measures soon, more and more people will become dependent on government and that is not what he wants. …What [Mitt learned from his success in business]… he understands the economy, he understands job creation, he understands what’s missing in this economy right now… He honestly believes he can help.”

Again — of course no candidate is going to spend the presidential election cycle trying to move people out of their opponent’s base; they’re going to be trying to convince the swingers. I think Mrs. Romney did a fine job highlighting the point that Mitt isn’t trying to eliminate these programs for people who needs them; he wants to create a robust, prosperous economy in which people neither need nor want them, because the opportunities for success are much more fruitful. It really is that simple. She is indeed a soft and empathetic foil to the scheming, greedy corporatist that Team Obama is trying to illustrate to the general public, and presents an approachable way to bring attention to Mitt’s lifelong track record of neighborly and charitable deeds — more, please!

Comments

Preach it, Mrs. R.!!

annoyinglittletwerp on September 19, 2012 at 12:03 PM

She will be a lovely First Lady.

dczombie on September 19, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Do potential first ladies swing significant numbers of votes in elections?

I’m just asking for some hard numbers.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on September 19, 2012 at 12:10 PM

What could she possible know about the “little people” out there? She has had servants her whole life and just plays with her horses.

-lib/MSM

Ditkaca on September 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM

This is exactly the response necessary. Pair it with pointing out that since May, Romney and Ryan have been telling people consistently about plans for entitlement reform to save the safety net, cutting through the Gordian Knot of over regulation that strangles business and investment, creating 12 million new jobs, and paying down the deficit so that we can begin to address the national debt.

This 47% video is an opportunity to make the case that many people would rather NOT be dependent on the government or anyone else and that Romney and Ryan mean to give them the opportunity to make self reliance and prosperity a reality.

thatsafactjack on September 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Romney isn’t the one who has increased the number of people on Food Stamps. It hasn’t been Romney who has ignore his job’s council, or is threatening to raise taxes on job creators. It isn’t Romney who has had over 8% unemployment as President for over 40 months.

The person “Writing off” a big part of America is one sitting in the White House.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on September 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM

The Fifth Column Treasonous Media is attempting to create and push a meme that they hope will damage Romney and save their Messiah, if the 47% meme doesn’t work, they’ll try another, and then another and then… by the grace of god they’ll run out of time and Mitt will win the election.

The Obamanation Administration Lies while the Middle East Burns.

SWalker on September 19, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I hope the media will spontaneously combust for their Goebellean methods. They should have to live under him, first, so that we have a good example of what not to do.

Otherwise it’s not a just and logical world.

“Socialism is for the dummies/people, not for the socialists”.

Schadenfreude on September 19, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Goebbelean

Schadenfreude on September 19, 2012 at 12:15 PM

thatsafactjack on September 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM

“I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.”

Sounds like even they don’t believe that.

rjl1999 on September 19, 2012 at 12:15 PM

She will be a lovely First Lady.

She sure will! Mitt and Ann both have class and I feel they would NEVER embarrass our Republic or citizens when they go overseas! Unlike those two we now have in the wh, totally useless classless slugs, IMO!
L

letget on September 19, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I really admire Mrs. Romney. I can’t wait to get some class back in the WH and representing our country.

ccrosby on September 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Campare and contrast. Ann vs Michelle. One loves her country without conditions, the other, only selectively.

a capella on September 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Writing people off? Is that like Barack refusing to be his brother George’s keeper, or is that like Michelle dumping poor patients?

Christien on September 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM

What’s wrong with having “disdain” for any American who would prefer being nurtured by the State – while on his knees?

This is supposed to be anathema to every American.

OhEssYouCowboys on September 19, 2012 at 12:19 PM

What a wonderful woman!

Mitt IS telling it like it is…

But as we all know the LSFM will not tell the truth, but lie consistently…

I am so sick of it…

Mrs Romney is such a positive example of what a First lady should be!

She reminds me of Nancy sooooo much and the Mrs Bushs’ 1st and 2nd.

Graciousness under pressure…

Hold your head up high and press on!!

Scrumpy on September 19, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Just keep smiling Ann. Mitt could rescue puppies from a fire and the media would gripe and complain he was taking jobs away from firemen.

Mr. Grump on September 19, 2012 at 12:21 PM

ccrosby on September 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

She’s well-spoken, intelligent and elegant – someone who I would call a “Lady.”

OhEssYouCowboys on September 19, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Unlike this President, who writes off 53% of the population as basically indentured servants whose sole purpose is to pay for the goodies he uses to try to bribe the 47%, Romney will actually worry about those 53% who do something I like to call work.

And I have to say, as someone in the 53%, I actually want a President who thinks of me as something more than someone that has to pay my “fair share.”

milcus on September 19, 2012 at 12:23 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on September 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM

One of the other sites I visit had a striking meme yesterday. Obama has had more months of employment over 8% in his presidency that all the presidents combined from Truman to GW Bush.

chemman on September 19, 2012 at 12:24 PM

She will be a lovely First Lady.

dczombie on September 19, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Amen to that – big upgrade from Jenny Craig. It’ll be the first time in 4 years I’ll be proud of my country too.

The Count on September 19, 2012 at 12:24 PM

chemman on September 19, 2012 at 12:24 PM

That don’t make a lick of sense.

Christien on September 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Mitt said people might get tired of her.
He’s making a desperate bold gesture here.

verbaluce on September 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM

There won’t be any ‘hip hop’ parties…

No more Champaigne falls costing 105k +

My one hope is that Romney will pick up on the one thing 0 said he’d do and didn’t and that is to put a halt to the Lobbyists…

No Big Biz needs a damn break at our expense…

Give us a new simplified tax code, how can anyone understand a tax code that equals 65ks worth of pages…

I am so looking forward to the day Romney takes his oath of office!

It will be a glorious day!

He may not suit everyone, but he is our best last hope…

I got to give him his ‘props’ a ^5!!

Scrumpy on September 19, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Obama said, “As president, you have to work for everyone.”

Romney’s best comeback would be, “As president, you have to WORK, not campaign, raise money, and hang out with celebrities.”

The Rogue Tomato on September 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM

To Live Out What I am

William Blake

My distress is great and unknown to men.

They are cruel to me, for they wish to dissuade me

From all that the forces of Love urge me to.

They do not understand it, and I cannot explain it to them.

I must then live out what I am;

What love counsels my spirit,

In this is my being: for this reason I will do my best.

Whatever vicissitudes men lead me through for Love’s sake

I wish to stand firm and take no harm from them.

For I understand from the nobility of my soul

That in suffering for sublime Love, I conquer.

I will therefore gladly surrender myself

In pain, in repose, in dying, in living,

For I know the command of lofty fidelity.

I do not complain of suffering for Love:

It becomes me always to submit to her,

Whether she commands in storm or in stillness.

One can know her only in herself.

This is an unconceivable wonder,

Which has thus filled my heart

And makes me stray in a wild desert.

Scrumpy on September 19, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Obama said, “As president, you have to work for everyone.”

The Rogue Tomato on September 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Then why does Obama rob Peter to subsidize layabout Paul?

BuckeyeSam on September 19, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Obama said, “As president, you have to work for everyone.”

He never, ever did that, the windjacket extraordinaire.

He lies with ease and s/b punished, mocked into oblivion, so as to never repeat such a hoax upon the land.

Schadenfreude on September 19, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Obama said, “As president, you have to work for everyone.”

Obama also said, in response to Republicans wanting to help influence the stimulus package, “I won.”

lorien1973 on September 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Then why does Obama rob Peter to subsidize layabout Paul?

BuckeyeSam on September 19, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Because the silly sheep sustain his undeserved lifestyle.

Socialism is for the plankton, not for the socialists.

Schadenfreude on September 19, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Obama said, “As president, you have to work for everyone.”

Well, our Honor, he can’t claim to be mentally impaired… he knew what he was supposed to do.

faraway on September 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM

oops, Your Honor

faraway on September 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM

The Obamanation Administration Lies while the Middle East Burns.

SWalker on September 19, 2012 at 12:13 PM

…what’s sad is that Ann would be a better ‘Present’ than JUGeARS HAS BEEN!

KOOLAID2 on September 19, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Conflating the working poor and middle-income parents with Obama’s unwavering base is dumb no matter how you spin it.

VerbumSap on September 19, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Ann is the October Surprise.

Put her on the air. She is real!

She is the antidote to the stupid, false charges about “war on women”

wholefoodsrepublican on September 19, 2012 at 12:56 PM

It’ll be great to have some class in the WH again, after MOochelle.

sauldalinsky on September 19, 2012 at 12:59 PM

L
letget on September 19, 2012 at 12:15 PM

A little too late to hope that champ. He already embarrassed himself in London. Good thing he wasn’t representing America and never will.
Plus stop forcing Princess Ann down the throat of Americans. No one outside of the echo chambered far right likes her.

HotAirLib on September 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Too bad this was just on a local station. Press won’t mention it.

Oops, Megyn Kelly showing a bit of it now.

bluealice on September 19, 2012 at 1:15 PM

The Rogue Tomato on September 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Ramirez did his usual great on the issue you brought up.

L

letget on September 19, 2012 at 1:15 PM

HotAirLib on September 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Bless your heart!

Guess we will wait and see who comes out on top Nov. 6?
L

letget on September 19, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Mitt said people might get tired of her.
He’s making a desperate bold gesture here.

verbaluce on September 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Soooo, desparate to send Ann out, but look wow…. at Michelle’s arms!!!!! She’s so cooooollll

bluealice on September 19, 2012 at 1:19 PM

ccrosby on September 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Solaratov on September 19, 2012 at 1:26 PM

HotAirLib on September 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Now, that was a really stupid remark…all the way through.

Romney didn’t embarrass himself at all in London. In fact, the Brit security people agreed with him. As did anyone who has any knowledge of security operations.

And, it seems rather petty of you to say no one likes Ann Romney. What you probably meant is that no one likes the lard-butted moochelle who has the style sense of a blind rat; and is an embarrassment every time she goes out in public to buy $27.00/pound Romanian Kale. And she displays all of the social grace of a donkey with diarrhea.

Solaratov on September 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM

“they’re going to be trying to convince the swingers”

Erika dear, you may want to rephrase that.

Speechlesstx on September 19, 2012 at 1:41 PM

HotAirLib on September 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM

You must be so-o-o-o proud. What a lady!!

Solaratov on September 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM

No one outside of the echo chambered far right likes her.

HotAirLib on September 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Why don’t you like her? Is it the same reason you don’t like Palin either? Successful attractive woman who is also a great mother and wife?

Do you feel threatened by them or is it just what you are told to feel? Talk about echo chamber.

Ditkaca on September 19, 2012 at 1:53 PM

No one outside of the echo chambered far right likes her.

HotAirLib on September 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM

That is a lie…but then again, consider the source.

Terrye on September 19, 2012 at 3:09 PM

HotAirLib on September 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM

If you don’t like talking about Ann, you can always leave..as for London, nobody died there..which is more than can be said for Libya.

Terrye on September 19, 2012 at 3:10 PM

“they’re going to be trying to convince the swingers”

Erika dear, you may want to rephrase that.

Speechlesstx on September 19, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Lool :) why not, after all every vote counts :),,,

jimver on September 19, 2012 at 3:31 PM

No one outside of the echo chambered far right likes her.

HotAirLib on September 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Well, same like nobody outside of the dimtard echo chamber and the suckazz media likes that annoying, angry black woman with her derriere the size of a soccer field…..

jimver on September 19, 2012 at 3:49 PM

jimver on September 19, 2012 at 3:49 PM

On the issue of mo, have you seen all the articles about school kids not eating the lunches mo has mandated? Kids are NOT happy!
L

letget on September 19, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Lool :) why not, after all every vote counts :),,,

jimver on September 19, 2012 at 3:31 PM

I guess if the sluts are for Obama we may as well go for the swinger vote.

Speechlesstx on September 19, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Ditkaca on September 19, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I actually don’t have a problem with Palin. I may disagree with her 99% of the time but she’s still middle class. Princess Ann is a golddigger who struck gold by throwing herself at a governors son. She has never worked in her entire life. Never paid income taxes or worry about paying bills. Without Romney she’s a nobody.

HotAirLib on September 19, 2012 at 5:47 PM

That is a lie…but then again, consider the source.
Terrye on September 19, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Tell me one thing princess Ann stands for? One thing outside of her husbands empty small government and lower taxes bs that will never happen. Was it her akward I loooooove women scream that did it for you?

At least Michelle continuously shows her support for our veterans. And she was doing this before her husband became president. Princess Ann is yet to reveal anything communal about herself.

HotAirLib on September 19, 2012 at 5:56 PM

HotAirLib on September 19, 2012 at 5:56 PM

What a crock of BS! Just like her mate, moochelle sneers at our service-members and veterans.

She does, however, like those photo-ops; just like her mate.

Solaratov on September 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM

HotAirLib on September 19, 2012 at 5:56 PM

cripes!…my butt cheeks missed HotLips!…was she humming or singing?

KOOLAID2 on September 19, 2012 at 8:46 PM