Video: Prepare to be bowled over by Randy Newman’s incisive, unpredictable political satire

posted at 3:21 pm on September 18, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

You ever watch the Oscars and think, “This is the best the best-paid, most acclaimed creative entertainment talents in all the world can give us on the most important night of their year?” Especially on a night dedicated to the ego-stroking and self-importance Hollywood has perfected, you’d think they’d really put on a show.

But maybe that kind of utterly predictable self-regard isn’t particularly good for the creative juices. Case in point: Randy Newman’s new satirical, political song. Oh, I know, the suspense is killing you. Which side will he take in this salient, timely political commentary?

Randy Newman is weighing in on the presidential election, and he’s playing the race card through a song he wrote called “I’m Dreaming.”

The piano tune features the refrain: “I’m dreaming of a white president.” It is full of satirical, sarcastic — and signature — Newman anecdotes about someone who votes for the president because he is white.

Newman, who is white, is openly supporting President Barack Obama.

You don’t say. “Wrote” is pretty generous, as it does generous borrowing from the Irving Berlin classic, “White Christmas.”

He says he wants the public to find comedic relief in the song, but to also know he’s serious about his thoughts that racism is well and alive in the world — and in the current presidential race. He called racism “the great issue of this country.”

And, I’m sure the generous portion of the country he’s satirically accusing of a base and ugly racism affecting their presidential vote will find it a real knee-slapper. Newman goes on to express that he thinks “that sentiment (racism) exists.” Brave truth-telling, that.

“I’m Dreaming” features lyrics like: “He won’t be the brightest, perhaps, but he’ll be the whitest, and I’ll vote for that.” He said as he wrote the song the lyrics “didn’t come that easy.”

That didn’t come easy? Brightest and whitest? Turns out it was the braveness of his truth-telling that was difficult, not the actual rhymes:

“It’s delicate enough that I’m not going to offend people every which way, but I wanted to get it right as best I could,” said Newman, who added that he’s always worried there may be some backlash following the release of a song like this one.

Yes, even when old, rich white guys in Hollywood are making the laziest, most hackneyed, most consequence-free social commentary about fellow, old, poorer white guys, they are still intrepid bards courting backlash in the name of the truth. I’m sure it’s got a good beat and you can dance to it, though.

I like Newman— he wrote one of my favorites, “Short People (Got No Reason to Live),” or as I like to call it, “The Ballad of Rahm Emanuel— and at least his delivery of his lazy, liberal lyricism is better than most. I don’t mind him putting out a political song and doing it to benefit a charity— the United Negro College Fund—but can’t these creative types, nuanced thinkers try a tiny bit harder to be creative and nuanced? I’m sure painting half of the country as old, racist white dudes bent on defeating a black, liberal president will really keep the Oscar train from stopping at his station.

Meh, call me when you’re writing satire about the feds carting amateur filmmakers away in the middle of the night. Enjoy the whole thing, but be careful playing the part about lions eating black children in the jungle, as even playing that kind of rhetoric is only allowed if you’re a certified liberal listening to another certified liberal satirically playing a racist, white man from Western Pennsylvania:

In other news, Bob Dylan don’t play that, which really annoys liberal magazine writers looking for utter predictability in their creative legends.

Exit question (AP™):
Wouldn’t this song have been more useful during the ’08 Democratic primary?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I hate when my favorite artists do this shyt….urgg.

In any case, Randy has earned the right to do what he wants. He’s a tremendous songwriter and a fabulous arranger/film score master.

rickyricardo on September 18, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Randy Newman has always been a talentless hack.

Oy. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

rickyricardo on September 18, 2012 at 4:25 PM

gwelf, my friend, Romney chose the 47% figure, not me. That includes everybody I mentioned. If he meant only those who see themselves as victims, that’s what he should have said.

And nothing in my little script states or implies that government assistance is in the it way to get ahead. Rather I mentioned people trying to get ahead with government assistance as people who might not take kindly to being called “mooches,” because they’re clearly trying to put themselves in a position to contribute and become successful.

urban elitist on September 18, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Get your threads crossed?

Romney did choose the 47% figure, but he also qualified it with people who have a entitlement and dependency mentality. He was also talking about people who he’d have a hard time getting to vote for him. He wasn’t saying these people should be taken out into the streets and shot. Democrats beleive the same thing – it’s just something they celebrate rather than lament, otherwise how do you explain 3 years of Mediscare campaigning and a Democrat National Convention focused on all the wonderful freebies you can get from the Democrat party?

gwelf on September 18, 2012 at 4:30 PM

His film scores are terrific. I especially like his score for The Natural. He comes from a long line of talented film composers and I think his musical compositions have a very American quality. That said, I’ve never been a fan of his “popular” music. I don’t give a damn what he thinks.

cheeflo on September 18, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I prefer Will Sasso as Randy Newman.

xolotl on September 18, 2012 at 4:33 PM

cheeflo on September 18, 2012 at 4:32 PM

As the great Laura Ingraham says (paraphrase): “Shut up and entertain me”

gwelf on September 18, 2012 at 4:34 PM

This is standard fare from Randy Newman. Check out his lyrics from his 1974 song “Back On My Feet Again”:

Doctor let me tell you something about myself
I’m a college man and I’m very wealthy
I’ve got no time to trifle with trash like you
Cause I must be ’bout my business

My brother’s a machinist in a textile mill
And he makes more money than you ever will
He just got married to a Polish girl
With a space between her teeth

My sister’s a dancer up in Baltimore
At a small cafe on Main
But she ran off with a Negro from the Eastern Shore
Dr., she didn’t even know his name

CHORUS
Get me back on my feet again
Back on my feet again
Open the door and set me free
Get me back on my feet again

He took her down to Mobile in a railroad train
He said, “Driver, take me to the Hotel Paree.”
He went into the washroom
Washed his face and hands
Dr., when he come out he was white as you and me

He said, “Girl, I’m not a Negro I’m a millionaire
As you can plainly see
So many women love my money
But you have proved that you love only me.

“I’m going to teach you to play polo and how to water ski
And you won’t have to dance no more
And I no longer must pretend to be
A Negro from the Eastern Shore.”

Doctor, doctor, what you say
How ’bout letting me out today?
Ain’t no reason for me to stay
Everybody’s so far away

CHORUS

Hoof Hearted on September 18, 2012 at 4:34 PM

..short, people.

The War Planner on September 18, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I can’t wait until someone redoes this video and replaces many of the white president images with Mr. Obama’s.

Sadly, in spite of his charisma and shrewdness, I predict he will be remembered our first affirmative action president.

I pray but also doubt he will be our last. The MSM and our collective guilt about slavery is not yet assuaged.

Quetzal on September 18, 2012 at 4:40 PM

How about I’m Dreaming of a COMPETENT president….

GarandFan on September 18, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Sounds like Randy left his asshat on.

pain train on September 18, 2012 at 4:41 PM

urban elitist on September 18, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Get your threads crossed?

gwelf on September 18, 2012 at 4:30 PM

No. Just getting smacked around in all the others so thought he/she would try this one. Carry on.

kim roy on September 18, 2012 at 4:43 PM

How about I’m Dreaming of a COMPETENT president….

GarandFan on September 18, 2012 at 4:40 PM

That works. I was thinking: I’m Dreaming of a CAPITALIST president.

beancounter on September 18, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I prefer Will Sasso as Randy Newman.

xolotl on September 18, 2012 at 4:33 PM

That was great – thank you.

kim roy on September 18, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Newman’s most famous commentary on racism, “Rednecks,” took the attitude that northern liberals were hypocrites for thinking themselves superior on race to the titular southern “rednecks,” since the northerns’ cities and neighborhoods remained segregated while they were tsk-tsking the southerns backwardness. He might be a liberal, but he’s not as single- or simple-minded as you might think. I’m a fan, though I admit I’ve put off listening to his most recent due to the anti-Bush, “A Few Words in Defense of Our Country.”

calbear on September 18, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Swing and a miss. Can’t all be hits. Even for Randy Newman.

BHO Jonestown on September 18, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Oh Randy, you´re one of my favs, but, a Mr. Smith to you.

james hooker on September 18, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I have often related to others on these threads that I never paid any attention to the political affiliation or leaning of those in the arts, or their personal lives for that matter.

These people are only possessed of one singular talent, their particular art form, which I felt was salient.

In the rare cases, political ideology and/or personal life do matter.

For instance, when the individual in question steps outside their singular area of expertise and attempts to expound on their own political ideology or personal life, even when they intertwine it with there singular talent, thus forcing me to consider their personal ideology and/or personal life.

Randy Newman is one of those individual. I never cared much of his music. I found his talent thin and absurd, at best.

However, now that he’s prostituted what little talent did does possess to try and promote his own particular ideology, I find the combination so repulsive, inane, self indulgent, and in such appallingly bad taste, that he has succeeded in damaging even that modicum of talent he may once have exhibited beyond all repair.

He’s a creature of his environment and will do anything to stay in the good graces of his chosen company. That’s exactly what this dismal and pathetic performance is about. His own fear. After all, even million of dollars are poor companions when one is left counting them alone, aging, in a quiet, and still, house.

thatsafactjack on September 18, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Obama won a good percentage of the ‘white’ vote in 2008, so if he loses in 2012 it can hardly be attributed to his race. What Newman did do with this ditty (unknowingly) is point a finger at black voters, many whom voted for Obama merely because of his skin color. It leads the percpetive voter to wonder, “who are the real bigots in this equation?”

zoyclem on September 18, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Hey look…another day, another day I’m called a racist because I don’t want to vote for a Marxist a-hole who wants to destroy all that I love. Hollywood is awesome.

search4truth on September 18, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Of course, anyone familiar with the fat, stuffy-nose midget knows that he suffers from a leftism so disconnected from reality and so perverse and extreme that it renders him nearly retarded every time he speaks on politics.

Jaibones on September 18, 2012 at 5:00 PM

zoyclem on September 18, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Very insightful. Newman was being too clever by half, “parodying” white racists when in fact by far the largest percentage of racist voters (i.e., voters, black or white, for whom racial considerations are primary) are in the Obama camp.

In fact the song– which earlier struck me as being full of racial self-loathing– falls into the same vein as “Short People,” ostensibly anti-short people, but parodying prejudice of any sort. This one mocks racists of any color, but it’s so “on the nose” anti-white that it is… well, as you say.

de rigueur on September 18, 2012 at 5:02 PM

If this is truly satire, then doesn’t the song raise the opposite question? Do blacks vote for Obama because he is black?

John Mauer on September 18, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Randy Newman is a great talent…much of the time. Randy Newman is also a tightly-wound bundle of neuroses that (as such things tend to do) often manifest themselves in puerile, socio-political gasbagging.

These things are not mutually exclusive, least of all in the arts.

ConservativeLA on September 18, 2012 at 5:06 PM

urban elitist on September 18, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Is…in…the…it…way?

Do we need subtitles? Because as sure as I’m sitting here you aren’t speaking English.

Dunedainn on September 18, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Wow, how original. I remember a parody from the sixties, “i’m dreaming of a white campus,” satirically supposed to have been sung by former MS Governor, Ross Barnett. I guess as long as they spell your name right. Get some new material, Newman.

flyoverland on September 18, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Well, Randy Newman has the right to make trash like that, and I have the right to hold on to my wallet and not support him.

I must say I found the song truly offensive and, were I an Iranian mullah, I would have issued a fatwa against Newman.

CatoRenasci on September 18, 2012 at 5:24 PM

I think I’ll rip off his song “Short People” and change it to “Stupid Liberal People”

Short Stupid Liberal People got no reason
Short Stupid Liberal People got no reason
Short Stupid Liberal People got no reason
To live

They got little hands common sense
Little eyes morality
They walk around
Tellin’ great big lies
They got little noses to contribute
And tiny little teeth brains
They wear platform burkenstock sandal shoes
On their nasty little feet

Well, I don’t want no Short Stupid Liberal People
Don’t want no short Stupid Liberal People
Don’t want no Short Stupid Liberal People
`Round here

Liberty or Death on September 18, 2012 at 5:28 PM

John Mauer on September 18, 2012 at 5:05 PM

What it took me twice as many sentences to say.

de rigueur on September 18, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Another liberal mental midget. Yawn!

txag92 on September 18, 2012 at 5:41 PM

If you like satire, mine is better:

If you’re going to Occupy Oakland
Be sure to take a stun gun with you there
If you’re going to Occupy Oakland
You’re gonna meet some scary people there

For those who come to Occupy Oakland
Bummertime, a whacked-out hate-in there
Near the tents of Occupy Oakland
Homeless people with insects in their hair

All across the nation such a strange vibration
Threatening reporters
There’s a whole generation with no explanation
Aimless motion, aimless motion

For those who come to Occupy Oakland
Be sure to wear body armor there
If you come to Occupy Oakland
We gave up, let’s have a hate-in there

If you come to Occupy Oakland
Bummertime, a whacked-out hate-in there

ConservativeLA on September 18, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Or this, also mine.

Come gather ’round losers wherever you roam
And admit that the garbage around you has grown
And accept it that soon you’ll have to go home
If your Pell Grants to you are worth savin’
Then you better start hitchin’ before you’re too stoned
For your underwear needs changing

Come Marxists and Paulites with big Sharpie® pens
And blame the Jew bankers, the chance won’t come again
Your vapid grandstanding the MSM will spin
And taxpayers they will be shaming
Poor little babies, where’s my tiny violin
For their underwear needs changing

Come senators, congressmen, please heed the call
Come to Atlanta, but don’t talk at all
The People’s Collective will make you feel small
There’s a hormonal battle that’s ragin’
They’ll soon break your windows and graffiti your walls
For their underwear needs changing

Come mothers and fathers who pay all the bills
A chip off the block and it gives you a thrill
Your sons and your daughters believe all that swill
That their Marxist professors are staging
Please get out your wallet and lend them a hand
For their underwear needs changing

Progressives run the show, but this too shall pass
When they start paying taxes they’ll all be aghast
The fascist youth impulse will later be past
Their order is rapidly fading
The lazy ones will soon get off of their ass
When their underwear needs changing

ConservativeLA on September 18, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Ok, I had the stop the video after the first line, “George Washington was a white man.”

I can’t watch this crap.

bluegill on September 18, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Newman? I thought he was dead.

Turdherder on September 18, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Another effing guilt ridden fat cracker.

Hummer53 on September 18, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I can’t watch this crap.

I won’t. I fear I might be boweled over.

hawkeye54 on September 18, 2012 at 6:13 PM

You know I hate to say this, actually no I don’t, but why give this guy the attention? The so-called song could have been written by 5th graders and they would have better voices. As a matter of fact I have heard better parodies from Middle Schoolers.

Deanna on September 18, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Yeah, and how many American-Africans voted for Obama because he was black?
Sheesh Randy, get a clue before you release politically motivated drivel like this.

OccamsRazor on September 18, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Remembering this, , I was hopeful.

TBinSTL on September 18, 2012 at 6:35 PM

cheeflo on September 18, 2012 at 4:32 PM

His film work pales in comparison to that of his uncles.

Del Dolemonte on September 18, 2012 at 6:36 PM

The last we heard from this guy was when he wrote Short People back in the 70′s, wasn’t it?

ButterflyDragon on September 18, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Newman? I thought he was dead.

Turdherder on September 18, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Yeah, my thought, too.

stukinIL4now on September 18, 2012 at 6:53 PM

At least Dr. Seuss had the sense to call it correctly… “I’m dreaming of a star belly sneetch”

Skywise on September 18, 2012 at 4:18 PM

They have stars upon thars.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on September 18, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Argh! Face palm.

I’ve never been a fan of Newman’s … nothing’s changed.

kregg on September 18, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Gee, Randy’s not very politically correct… is he?

Axion on September 18, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Considering the fact that so many people who voted for Obama in 2008 did so just because he’s black this song and satire of Newman is really lame.

MCGIRV on September 18, 2012 at 7:13 PM

who the hell is Randy Newman, and why would I give a rat’s ass about him?

burserker on September 18, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Liberty or Death on September 18, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Heh.

tbear44 on September 18, 2012 at 7:37 PM

“Black people got no reason to work . . .”

flataffect on September 18, 2012 at 7:59 PM

So he hates short people. And white people. What about piano players who can’t sing?

AshleyTKing on September 18, 2012 at 8:10 PM

rickyricardo on September 18, 2012 at 4:24 PM

…with all due respect r r…have you noticed an uncommon amount of has beens coming out of the Hollywood area to be relevant for SOME reason?

KOOLAID2 on September 18, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Damn that honky JFK!

Damn that cracker FDR!

Damn that ofay brother RFK!

Preach it right, white boy Randy!

profitsbeard on September 18, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I am so sick of racist idiots like Newman! It’s bad enough that his music sucks & has always sucked, but now this no talent bum is putting is big mouth into politics. What gets me is this idiot is going to make such an asinine statement like “someone who votes for the president because he is white.” What about all the black people who will only vote for Obama because he’s black! Ohhhh that don’t count! Go crawl back into your cave Neanderthal!

Confederate on September 18, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Same old crap.

If you oppose Prez. Obama for ANY reason whatsoever, then you are racist.

Period. End of story.

yongoro on September 18, 2012 at 10:10 PM

He called racism “the great issue of this country.”

What a freakin’ Liberal dinosaur.

This country used to be made up of 100% White immigrants, most of them WASPs. Every single non-WASP group of White immigrants was subjected to prejudice. The Italians, the Irish, the Slavs, the Greeks, the Jews. It didn’t matter that they were White, they were still different than the WASP majority.

Now we’ve got fairly recent non-White immigrants from China, Korea, India, Pakistan, the Phillipines, South America. And every one of these groups of immigrants have been subjected to less prejudice than all the non-WASP White, European immigrants who came here in the 19th and early 20th century.

But to Liberals like Newman, “race” means one thing, and one thing only. Low income Blacks and Hispanics, who if they’re resented over anything, it’s their high propensity for criminal behavior and irresponsible behavior, not their skin color.

ardenenoch on September 18, 2012 at 10:18 PM

How about I’m Dreaming of a COMPETENT president….

GarandFan on September 18, 2012 at 4:40 PM

AMEN!!!

I don’t care what color the man is, as long as he believes in freedom and the constitution!

I voted for Alan Keyes, wanted to vote for Herman Cain, and would vote for Allen West! THEY are competent, conservative and trustworthy!

Vntnrse on September 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM

He’s right about racism still going strong.

Projection is going strong, too.

connertown on September 18, 2012 at 11:40 PM

He said “delicate”,,, as if there was a delicate way to say… “vote for my choice or you’re just a big fat racist”…

Hollywood won’t lift a finger against him, and he knows it.. Hollywood has never punished their b-level talent for smearing those evil flyover country folks… after all all their bestest friends agree.. American’s outside NY and LA just suck…

Just once Lord..

some real blowback against these snotty little smear merchants would be nice.. You call us racists…. while you demand we vote for a man because he’s black.. to prove, we are not… when everything he does is spitting on the principles we hold..

Gee stumpy… how about you vote for Mitt, or I’ll call you a God hating religious bigot…

you aren’t?

prove me wrong and vote for Mitt then…

It’s moral extortion, and he can go to Hell.

mark81150 on September 19, 2012 at 1:06 AM

As a musician, Randy Newman is a genius. I will stick up for him all day long. His combination of chords and words and rhythms and wryness is inimitable.

He’s a political idiot, but a musical savant.

I can’t sit here and read everyone trash his music because he’s written some darn good stuff.

cane_loader on September 19, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Dumb people got no reason;
Dumb people got no reason;
Dumb people got no reason to vote….

cane_loader on September 19, 2012 at 4:18 AM

If you want to expose Newman’s immmature political view, just pull up the “I Love L.A.” on YouTube and watch how all the minorities are shiny and happy and make his God-like cruise through L.A. so politically correct. Randy’s god is in his heaven.

cane_loader on September 19, 2012 at 4:20 AM

Better yet, how about his song “Rednecks”, in fact the entire “Good Old Boys
” LP, where he not only makes liberal (heh) use of the n-word, he smears the entire Southland and every one of it’s inhabitants as racist. This was 40some years ago, so he hasn’t really changed.

babygiraffe on September 19, 2012 at 6:40 AM

Tired today, stayed up all night waiting for Randy to be led away by the Feds for this riot inciting “Hate song”.

shooter561 on September 19, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Is this satiracle irony?

I don’t know anyone who didn’t vote for O because he is black.

I know many blacks who voted for O because is black.

TerryW on September 19, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Makes me happy to know, that no matter what he says and what he writes, he’ll have to live with being a $$$Sellout for working for Disney for so long.

thebrokenrattle on September 19, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Samuel L Jackson approves of this song…

workingclass artist on September 19, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I guess Pixar isn’t coming across with enough new opportunities to foist his song-writing mastery upon us in their movies.

Haven’t missed him in the slightest and this won’t change matters any.

ya2daup on September 19, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Ok, can he please write a song about Stupid People? I mean something along the lines that:

If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove that you’re not a racist, you need to vote against him in 2012 to prove that you’re not stupid.

Just need to figure out how to make that all rhyme.

NOMOBO on September 19, 2012 at 10:37 AM

It’s just not funny or clever. Nor does it contain even a kernel of truth. Liberals are eerily obsessed with race.

paraff on September 19, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Sounds to be ham-handed and cheesy—also derivative (use a Christmas Song or other sentimental melody to highlight bitter satire).

stillings on September 19, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Typical, talentless, race baiting, marxist, hateful rhetoric promoted as wisdom. Well in Randy’s case.

onomo on September 19, 2012 at 10:56 AM

What, nobody posting the lyrics to “Rednecks”?

What a surprise.

mojo on September 19, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Well in Randy’s case.

onomo on September 19, 2012 at 10:56 AM

No doubt about it. Randy Newman is talented. But he is really not very bright. Didn’t you ever see the guy who could divide a 40 digit number by a 40 digit number in his head in about 2 seconds? Talk about talent! It’s just that the guy couldn’t even dress himself. As it is with Randy Newman, he can write lyrics, but can’t compose music and can’t even have a rational thought.

NOMOBO on September 19, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I assume that you will define social security and Medicare when you retire and that if, God forbid, you lost your job and broke your leg, you would not file gor unemployment benefits and you would decline Medicaid.

urban elitist on September 18, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Hey urban idiot,
I am social security age, and I have no intention of ever taking social security. I got ill and lost my job a while back and took about 9 months to find another. I did not take a dime in unemployment, and not a dime in government health care benefits. Those 9 months were very difficult, as I am not a 1%’er

So, you see, their are people who are self-reliant and have some pride. They are called Conservatives. You should only wish you and your liberal progressive cohorts had that kind of integrity.

NOMOBO on September 19, 2012 at 1:04 PM

One of my pet peeves is when my favorite artists decide to promote their own political views, which are usually liberal, since they are cocooned by liberal communities. I’m sure it works the other way too, but too often the quality of the artistry suffers. John Prine recorded one about George W. Bush called “Some Humans Ain’t Human,” which demonstrates what I mean.

The problem is that they so often use what passes for argument among liberals, personal invective against conservatives and individual office holders and candidates. That’s a normal but childish approach, one that many conservatives indulge in, but liberals seem to operate on the principle that the basis of their philosophy is self-evident and anyone who disagrees is therefore inferior. Obama is fond of the argument that if you don’t favor socialism, you lack compassion, whereas others see that as a cop out and self-delusion. Mitt Romney is a very compassionate person, but he doesn’t believe he has the right to use tax payer funds to express it. He knows that the end result of trying to cure all poverty that way is failure, tyranny and economic collapse. Communism and Fascism and other forms of tyranny all begin by claiming to want to use government power to do social good.

The accusation of racism is such a cheap and easy card to play, it indicates shallow and mean thinking, and is the first refuge of liberal guilt.

flataffect on September 19, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Newman is just another misguided celeb who thinks that a Conservative in the White House will somehow endanger his “creativity”.

If there was any racism about the 2008 election, it obviously didn’t come from those who voted against Obama. There were certainly untold numbers of voters who voted for “the first black President” to ensure that nobody could think of them as racist. Is that how you choose someone to do a job? If your decision-making process is not race-less, then it is race-based, which is in fact racist. Yes, Samuel L., I’m looking at you. And you too, Clooney.

If Obama would actually do some work under a policy which helped to repair anything that isn’t working as it should, he’d come closer to deserving re-election. He hasn’t, so when he isn’t re-elected it won’t be because of racism, it will be because he failed to do what he promised, and what he was elected to do.

Freelancer on September 20, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Complete idiot. Nothing more to say.

seanrobins on September 20, 2012 at 12:39 AM

I read the poll at the Daily Beast where Romney received zero percent of the black vote. 0%!? Really?! I get the distinct feeling that blacks find something appealing about Obama that they really like. I was talking it over with Mrs. Mormon Doc and she seems to think that his position on foreign policy issues really helps him connect well with that constituency.

I think Governor Romney needs to hire away one of Obama’s foreign policy advisors.

Mormon Doc on September 21, 2012 at 12:48 AM