No, Romney didn’t just lose the election

posted at 8:41 am on September 18, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

I got home late last night and missed most of the hysteria over Mitt Romney’s remarks at a fundraiser in May, but I’m glad to see I didn’t miss all of it.  Here’s Josh Barro at Bloomberg, telling us we can take a 50-day nap, because the election is all over now that Romney has described 47% of voters as victims:

You can mark my prediction now: A secret recording from a closed-door Mitt Romney fundraiser, released today by David Corn at Mother Jones, has killed Mitt Romney’s campaign for president.

On the tape, Romney explains that his electoral strategy involves writing off nearly half the country as unmoveable Obama voters. As Romney explains, 47 percent of Americans “believe that they are victims.” He laments: “I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.”

So what’s the upshot? “My job is not to worry about those people,” he says. He also notes, describing President Obama’s base, “These are people who pay no income tax. Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax.”

This is an utter disaster for Romney.

I’m not going to argue that it’s good for Romney.  This is what comes from candidates attempting to become political analysts on the campaign trail.  Newt Gingrich made this same mistake during the primaries, and it caused him headaches as well.  Candidates need to stick to their message, and shrug off questions about strategy; that’s for staffers to leak to the media.  When candidates forget that, they end up producing sound bites that sound like this, or like Howard Dean’s reality-defying 2004 “Yeargh!” moment in Iowa.

But if quips won elections, I have dozens more damaging in the Obamateurism series than this. This one is hardly fatal, at least in part because Romney is actually on solid ground in terms of the math, as the Daily Beast pointed out last night:

Jim Messina, Obama campaign manager, called the statement “shocking” and “disdainful.” Gail Gitcho, Romney communication director, said that it showed that the former governor really is “concerned about the growing number of people who are dependent on the federal government.” But ham-handed, principled, offensive, or otherwise, Romney’s words were clearly one thing: true. Here are the facts.

According to the Tax Policy Center, a partnership of the liberal Urban Institute and the Brookings Institution, 46.4 percent of American filers pay “zero or negative” income tax. …

Paying no income tax is one thing. Being “dependent on government” is another. But under a broad definition of government dependence—that is, receiving federal entitlements—more than 47 percent of us are in Romney’s category. According to the Census Bureau, 49 percent of Americans live in a household that receives a government entitlement for “health care” through Medicaid or Medicare, “food” through stamps, disability, Social Security, or a “housing” assistance program. Most of these benefits are not paid for by their recipients, but by federal deficits. The gap between promises and anticipated funds for Social Security is $8.6 trillion for the next 75 years, according to the government’s own estimates (PDF). For Medicare, it’s $27 trillion.

Of course, sometimes perception outruns facts, and the perception of Romney as out of touch with the working class has already been advanced by Team Obama.  The problem with the whole “the election is over” analysis is that it defies history — and recent history at that.  Almost exactly four years earlier, in another fundraiser secretly taped by an attendee, a major-party nominee made the same mistake as Romney and offered some political analysis of why large numbers of voters were probably unreachable in an election.  The nominee — some also-ran named Barack Obama — told his urbane San Francisco crowd of supporters that people in the hinterlands were xenophobic and clung bitterly to their religion and guns in hard times, and would be difficult to win over.  In fact, Obama made oblique references to that argument prior to that tape, occasionally talking about the handicap of having a “funny name” would be with some voters.

That is almost exactly the same kind of argument Romney made, only in the context of government assistance.  How’d that work out for Obama?  Not too bad, as I recall.

This instant-toast analysis is the product of a media with too much pressure to be profound and not enough perspective to resist it.  We like to think that one utterance can decide elections, but it’s really not the case.  For instance, pundits will talk about how Jimmy Carter’s decision to cite his teenage daughter as an expert in a response to a debate question on the biggest issue facing the world lost him the election, but it was the Iran hostage crisis and massive stagflation that made Carter a one-term President.  His predecessor was supposedly set to win until he asserted in a debate that Poland wasn’t under Soviet domination, but Gerald Ford lost that election when he pardoned Richard Nixon two years earlier; after Watergate and the pardon, Republicans weren’t going to keep the White House.  Similarly, we like to think that John McCain lost the election in 2008 when he announced that he would suspend his campaign to return to Washington in the wake of the economic collapse, but after eight years of George Bush, war fatigue, and the economic collapse itself, the likelihood of any Republican winning that election looks close to nil in retrospect.  And perhaps the election of the least-experienced executive in modern American presidential history that year bears that analysis out, too.

In the end, the American people will decide this election not on quips but on records and policy, as they always have.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

DDm: I will be waiting for Mitt to announce another $10 thousand bet: trying to slap Obama with his wallet.

I just want you to know that I’m typing this on the iPhone I got by trading food stamps to a drug dealer who stole it from a job creator. And i have time to kill because the line to re-up my benefits is so long. But worth it: tonight I’ll be drinking gin and juice, thanks to your tax dollars.

urbane effetist on September 18, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Translated: “Del just beat me like a drum!”

Del Dolemonte on September 18, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I see the trolls are out in force, hoping to dance on a political grave. Hilarious. Trolling has to be the ultimate indicator of a resentful, petulant, and clearly powerless beta male.

Leaving that aside, the only people who might change their vote over Mitt’s remarks are those in the 47% who are embarrassed by the situation. This is a classic Washington gaffe- the truth was told. Outside of Washington, most folks appreciate that.

M240H on September 18, 2012 at 11:15 AM

urban elitist on September 18, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I KNEW this was you.

Bishop on September 18, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Has everybody already forgotten “Julia”?

OMG, that’s a freaking excellent point! I had forgotten about that! Please, god, tell me that Romney’s campaign gets the Julia memo because it’s such an excellent response/counter to the libs phony outrage on this.

kit9 on September 18, 2012 at 11:16 AM

We’re back to talking about the disastrous economy we have right now, which is the last thing the Obama acolytes want, but it shows you how desperate the Obama camp is right now.

eyedoc on September 18, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Didn’t Romney lose the election last week? Why even bother voting anymore? So a presidential candidate reveals himself?

Mr. Joe on September 18, 2012 at 11:06 AM

He really lost the election when those wily Dems got together and put “GOD” back into their platform at the Convention in Charlotte.

There is no way to defeat that kind of super intelligence.

FlaMurph on September 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Mr. Joe on September 18, 2012 at 11:06 AM

He re-loses the election every week, or so the media insist every week. It’s The Narrative.

About the only way to change The Narrative is for us to vote, and for Romney to win.

de rigueur on September 18, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Of course the left doesn’t like this line. It is the anti-populist response to the pervasive populism on display at Occupy and the DNC.

So the Occupy movement has spent the last year complaining that the 1% is paying its fair share. SO what is a “fair share?” Apparently, they would be paying their fair share if the Occupy protestors could have FREE abortions, FREE birth control, FREE health care, and FREE student loan forgiveness (if I have forgotten a FREE demand, please add it). Oh, I know another one…FREE middle class status; free as in no experience, no useful education, no work ethic, and no expectations required.

Hmm…its almost like the Occupy Movement kinda proves Romney’s point, doesn’t it? I have to ask the question now…what was Occupy’s contribution to the human collective? Did they produce anything? No. Contribute a new and exciting philosophy? No. Carbon footprint? YES!!

They are pure carbon footprint and tax revenue drain but Romney is the big jerk. I get it now.

sgmstv on September 18, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I am one of those 47%… let me explain: My husband served 23 years in the Army… we are working class bordering on I guess lower middle class…I used to work, he does work and works hard.

I have a double whammy illness that without Tricare, we could not afford, my treatments cost 15k a quarter, without it I would be bedridden and crippled…

I am filled with guilt…I want to live have some quality of life,
how should I think feel, what should I do?

I hate feeling like a moocher…

I am caught between a rock and a hard place…

What can I do?

Scrumpy on September 18, 2012 at 11:24 AM

The man gives away 16% of his personal wealth to the poor and to charity.. He sponsors and helps families he does not even know.. just because he’s a caring guy.. He helped a man and wife who had just lost their jobs… to buy their own home from him..

and you think he holds poor Americans in contempt?

mark81150 on September 18, 2012 at 10:49 AM

He thinks that he can’t convince those 47% with sound and reasoned arguments for how they can make it on their own and make a better lives for themselves and their children. No. He writes them off. Either he holds them in contempt, or he holds his ability to persuade in contempt. Neither option is very encouraging.

besser tot als rot on September 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM

“..look! A squirrel uttering hurtful, vile aspersions at our poor, downtrodden victims, the welfare queens and entitlement. Horrors! I believe I feel a fit of the vapors coming on! The government must help me endure this anguish! I AM OWED”.

The War Planner on September 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Del:

I see you have drunk deeply of the self-esteem cup, and now have the ego of a second-grader who just got a trophy from his soccer league. Hint: declaring yourself the “winner” (and I didnt even notice much of a contest, given how bitter these things can get) just makes you look a little sad.

urban elitist on September 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Neither option is very encouraging.

besser tot als rot on September 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM

..to you, the glass is always half-empty. Say, weren’t you the guy Randy Quaid fan in Major League II?

The War Planner on September 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM

One major reason for the growth of the federal government in recent years has been that entitlement spending per beneficiary has increased, and so has the number of beneficiaries as people have retired. Yet senior citizens — who benefit from federal programs, on average, far more than younger people — have become more Republican over that same period. They actually voted for John McCain over Obama in 2008 by a slightly higher margin than they did for George W. Bush over John Kerry in 2004.

In 2010, their Republican margin increased even more, to a whopping 21 points. Pollster Scott Rasmussen told me that in his latest poll, Romney still leads among seniors by 19 points.

It’s true that Americans with low incomes — more and more of whom now receive food stamps and federally subsidized health insurance — have generally voted for Democrats over Republicans. But in 2010, these voters shifted toward Republicans even as food stamps, unemployment benefits and the like continued to increase.

Conservatives have even less reason for worrying about people who don’t pay federal income taxes. A major reason that the number of those people has grown is that a Republican-controlled Congress created, and the Bush administration expanded, a tax credit for parents. If there is any evidence that in recent years middle-class parents have become more Democratic, relative to the general electorate, I haven’t seen it.

I, know, I know…It’s a propaganda piece

I’m just pointing out how out of touch you guys are. The same way the media is on “Cruise Control” of attacking whatever Romney says, you guys defend whatever he does/says now. The point is the guy generalized by saying it the way he did. And he admitted that it wasn’t the best way.

Republicans: We are the 47%, but we think we are the 53%.

I can’t over the irony, I’m not sorry. LOL

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM

The thing that I can’t figure out is why would someone who had to pay $50,000 to be admitted to this fund raiser at a private home (and thus presumably supports candidate Romney) then take a video of the event and release it to the press?

We should hunt this person down…

Old Fritz on September 18, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I just want you to know that I’m typing this on the iPhone

urbane effetist on September 18, 2012 at 11:12 AM

You must feel so proud, paying 2 times what you need to pay for such a device. The average iPhone costs about $200 to manufacture, and yet sells for over $500.

Seems to me that you’re happily supporting evil corporate practices…but I guess you want to look Cool, correct?

Del Dolemonte on September 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM

YES….the Romney campain gets ‘Julia’. Baye Buchanan brought her up on CNN this morning!!! I think Richard Grenell has mentioned her too.

MaggiePoo on September 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Scrumpy on September 18, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Unfortunately, our society is becoming overly dependent on government rather than charity to address such situations. As taxes go up, and cost of living go up, the available pool of money for charity goes down. Soon we will have no charity and your only option will be the government, like they have in Europe. And even if we did lower taxes, once the charity habit/tradition is broken, I wonder if it would come back. Leftists say that those on the right are the ones that want people to go it alone, but that is not true. We want to help people through our charities and community organizations. And, ironically (or purposefully), the left’s policy prescriptions kill these options so that without the government, you really do have to go it alone.

besser tot als rot on September 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Del:

urbane effetist on September 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Says the dude who paid an evil American corporation over twice as much for a phone as it cost them to build it.

I can see I have gotten under your skin, which is why you are bringing out your Alinskyisms. Thanks for playing!

Del Dolemonte on September 18, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Scrumpy, don’t vote for Obama. There, rock and hard place solved.

Mitsouko on September 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM

The trolls are out, yes. BUT it’s shocking to them that we are NOT demoralized. Quite the opposite.

BTW, trolls, think WHY you are over here today. You believe we are weak.

NOW do you understand why we say Obama has made America weak in the eyes of the muslim world? Proof is surrounding our embassies in, last I heard, 27 countries.

And what is Obama doing about it?

NOTHING

MaggiePoo on September 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM

The War Planner on September 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Maybe. But this is important. It shouldn’t even be close enough to be a half full/half empty question. And tell me where I’m wrong? Should Romney be writing off the 47-48% of people that don’t pay income tax? I’m wrong on that?

besser tot als rot on September 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Today’s Irony Bouquet:

… just makes you look a little sad.

urban elitist on September 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM

A troll comments upon what he considers to be “sad” behavior!

M240H on September 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM

MaggiePoo on September 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM

That is encouraging. But Romney needs to lay out a better path for Julia, where she controls her life and her destiny, not give up her vote for lost.

besser tot als rot on September 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM

In my opinion, they were holding on to this in order to release it a week or so before election day. But with the ME exploding and O’s foreign policy going up in smoke, they desperately needed a distraction, so they released it.

Don’t expect any further “game changer” type revelations on Romney.

Pest on September 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM

It’s not what Romney said that is the most problemmatic, it’s that what he said can be badly distorted.

The Romney remarks also demonstrate:

1. he learned nothing from the flare-up during the FL primary when he said on TV, “I’m not worried about the poor.” I am a Mitt-bot, but I am not impressed with people who don’t learn from their mistakes. And I doubt Mitt Romney is, either.

2. he doesn’t “get” the Reagan supply side optimism: “my job, both as your nominee and as president, is to lift people who are trapped in dependency in this rotten obama economy to prosperity, independence, and freedom.” I want a candidate and a president worried about the 47%.

The good news is that this incident will bring the infighting in Boston to a head, and anyone on the side of Romney “pabulum” can be thrown under the bus. Reagan had a similar meltdown in September 1980 over his Klu Klux Klan remarks and still won 44 states.

matthew8787 on September 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I already feel this issue over and done and if spun and used correctly could be an impetus to the Romney campaign going forward.

Tater Salad on September 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM

lol, latest “poll” out of one of the Bluest of States, Oregon…O’bamna 50, Romney 41.

In 2008, O’bamna won Oregon by twice that.

Del Dolemonte on September 18, 2012 at 11:39 AM

besser tot als rot on September 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I realise so many things since I have been ill.

No.1 Healthcare Ins industry HAS to be reformed…we need more competition in that realm.

No.2 The drug manufacturers, they totally need overhauling, yes they money for research, but come on, I am positive in my thinking that there are cures out there for what ails us, but in the name of profits, they charge simply outrageous amounts for medicine…

No.3 Obama is thwarting charitable contributions as I type…

No.4 I cannot think of one charity that, if I was alone, would support me…

No.5 I do not wish for a EU type HC system… I would be on the list for starvation (I kid you not)…

I have painted a bleak picture…but the reality of it is, I am now dependent on a govt handout for my very existence…

And I hate it, but I wanna live…

Scrumpy on September 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM

besser tot als rot on September 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM

You can lead a Julia to a job. But if she does not want it, she will sabotage the job and go back to her lazy chair, because she can…

astonerii on September 18, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Who wants to bet the next “polling” cycle puts Ocommie at 50% ???

How strong is that for a Community Organizer Presidential Fail?

FlaMurph on September 18, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Mitsouko on September 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Oh I have NO intention of voting for Obama…

There are many like me out here, what do we do?

I liken my guilt to the so called misplaced ‘white’ guilt that voted Obama in in the first place…I am not that idiotic…

For the sake of discussion tho, what does one do?

Scrumpy on September 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM

America needs to get this simple message.

If it wants to create more and stay on government dependency, then vote for Obama.

If you are able and want to be freed from having to be on government dependency, then you need to vote for Romney.

Simple choice.

sheryl on September 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I endorse “kit9 on September 18, 2012 at 11:16 AM ” sattement about Julia, what a come back. I say for me conservatives are for choice while liberals are for Free Ride. The free ride has been going on since the 60′s and its time to stop.

Release on September 18, 2012 at 11:45 AM

urbane onanist on September 18, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Translated: “Del just beat me like a drum!”

Del Dolemonte on September 18, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I see these on Craigslist regularly: I have 200 in food stamps im selling for 100

slickwillie2001 on September 18, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Ask any Obama supporter what the name Frank Marshall Davis means to them.

Ask any Obama supporter if they know what the New Party is.

Ask any Obama supporter if they ever heard of the movie “2016″

FlaMurph on September 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Look, I saw 2016. I thought it was ridiculous.
John Cusack saves mankind?
Please.

verbaluce on September 18, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Ok, so you’re not buying the food stamps for phone thing. I wouldn’t come back to it but, lest think I’ve ever paid $500 for a phone…

I got my first iPhone for free, from work, and was allowed to keep it when I changed jobs. I lost one phone, that set me back $200, because the were cheaper then or something. When the battery on that phone died, I traded it in at the Apple Store and got a new phone for $80. It wasn’t the latest model, but I can live without Siri.

Likewise, the I get my suits on sale as well. It’s hard to collect all the trappings of elite urbanism on my salary, but I’m committed to doing whatever it takes!

Your ill-informed sneering makes you look small. It’s one thing to take shots at my politics, that’s what Hot Air is all about. Mindless speculation about my phone is frankly pointless.

Oh, also, “liberal” is not the same as “communist”. Reminding us that we buy things from corporations actually doesn’t bother us at all.

urban elitist on September 18, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Folks, anyone watching polls other than Rasmussen and Gallup are wasting their time. They are the only ones in the field everyday and are by far the best in the business. The rest are designed by the media to drive a story.

If you watch only those two you see a trend back to Romney with him leading in Rasmussen among likely voters and narrowing the gap in Gallup among registered voters.

Tater Salad on September 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I realise so many things since I have been ill.

No.4 I cannot think of one charity that, if I was alone, would support me…

Scrumpy on September 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM

You are right. It is the difficult situations that make it possible for government to get a foot hold because no one wants you to go it alone and it is a very easy sell helping you to the public. But once the foot hold is made, it is easy to expand on and on. As far as support, I suspect that you could walk into any one of a number of churches (e.g., my church), ask for it, and raise enough money for the treatments. But, again, you’d be dependent on others and I know that it is always difficult to ask for help. I was certainly not raised to ask for help, but to give it. I don’t know that I could do it. Going to the impersonal government has got to be much easier.

besser tot als rot on September 18, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I’m not going to argue that it’s good for Romney.

I am

Jim Treacher on September 18, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Romney doesn’t simply walk on his private parts . . . he first puts on his golf shoes.

rplat on September 18, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Look, I saw 2016. I thought it was ridiculous.
John Cusack saves mankind?
Please.

verbaluce on September 18, 2012 at 11:46 AM

:) I literally laughed out loud at that comment. (I assume it was intentional, but that movie was 2012.)

besser tot als rot on September 18, 2012 at 11:53 AM

matthew8787 on September 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM

He said “I’m not worried about the poor, they have a safety net. I don’t worry about the rich, they can take care of themselves.”

There is nothing, NOTHING, Romney can say that the media won’t distort. So STOP BLAMING HIM.

MaggiePoo on September 18, 2012 at 11:54 AM

you look a little sad.

urban defeatist on September 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM

…pull your finger!

KOOLAID2 on September 18, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I realise so many things since I have been ill.

When no one directly pays for their healthcare, Like I actually do, then people do not look for good deals and pay what ever the doctors want. The doctors have no incentive to become more efficient. The first step to overhaul of the healthcare industry is to move the cost closer to the users so they look for bargains and demand efficient care.

Yeah, that argument pretty much falls flat.

No.3 Obama is thwarting charitable contributions as I type…

Actually most of government is. Social Security, medicare, medicaid, and other forced wealth transfers leave people bitter about the poor instead of concerned for them. They have already paid for the poor withabout 25% of their wealth creation off the top of every single penny they earn.

No.4 I cannot think of one charity that, if I was alone, would support me…

Family, Friends, Commnunity, Charity. If you are sure to get your money from the government, you do not have to do anything nice to any of these people, but they will still be forced to pay for your care. On the other hand, if you know that the government will not be there to back you up, youmust might want to be nice to these people, in case you get sick and need some help!

Neither do I, neither do I.

And I hate it, but I wanna live…

Scrumpy on September 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM

We all want to live. The question is what are we willing to do to do so? We should have a family, raise well adjusted, well educated productive children so they will be there in our hours of need. Keep family close, care for your sister’s baby when she needs a sitter, and maybe when you get sick she will help you. Take care of a neighbors lawn or dog or help him paint his house because he is too frail to do it on his own, and maybe five years later when you need help, he will be there to help you.

These things have mostly left our existance because of the welfare craddle to grave state we live in. Most people figure they have already done their share, they gave up 15.3% of their income just for social security and medicare, out of the rest of my taxes I pay every year, my contribution comes out to between a total of 23% to 29% of all my income goes from me, to the state, to some supposedly needier than my own family person. I still tythe on top of that.

You want charity or do you want the certainty that pointing a gun at other people’s head brings to get you your care? What are you willing to live with to live?

astonerii on September 18, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Scrumpy, if you are truly in need, then take the help and don’t feel guilty unless you really like the hairshirt.

There are other ways to contribute. How about working a phone bank? Can you volunteer anywhere?

Mitsouko on September 18, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Trolls squeal. The dogs bark and the caravan moves on. Funny!

Bmore on September 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Anyone but Obama!

Amjean on September 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Likewise, the I get my suits on sale as well.

urbane effetist on September 18, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Well Articulated!

Aren’t your Moe Ginsburg suits out of date by now? He closed 7 years ago.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to live in a place that costs 133% more to live in than the national average.

Del Dolemonte on September 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I will give Team Obama credit — they have implemented at least one novel policy idea successfully. Debt as a Weapon of Mass Destruction.

Mutnodjmet on September 18, 2012 at 11:59 AM

“Doo Doo Economics” – that’s funny. I think Romney should consider using that to refer to Obamanomics. … Well, what percentage of the voting population wouldn’t get it because they are too young?

besser tot als rot on September 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM

If you post on here and you are an Obama voter that makes you a troll ???I post on here because I read all sites to understand current political thought in America ,of course the thinking isn’t as high level as TPM but still I find it interesting … What I don’t understand is why during open sign up for posting Hot Air doesn’t say we aren’t welcome here if we are not GOP/right wingers , I assumed all were welcome in the this land of America and free thought a land where my father volunteered in the second World War to keep free thought going… Of course my favorite posting day will be the day after President Obama wins ,I guess I will not schedule any work that day …

U2denver on September 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM

just makes you look a little sad.

urban elitist on September 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Funny!! How’s it feel to snare? Lol! Pathetic.

Bmore on September 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM

his deserves to be repeated yet again.

1.75 Private Sector Workers Per Social Security Recipient

Private sector workers are the only ones that create wealth.

Add in federal, state and local retirees not counted on social security and you are looking at 1.43 workers per retiree. This does not include welfare queens and other moochers either, just retired and permanantly disabled.

astonerii on September 18, 2012 at 12:06 PM

U2denver on September 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM

We’re not good at dealing with whiny “victims”, if you are one then yeah, you might want to move on.

Bishop on September 18, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Oh dear. Ed finally writes an unabashed defence of Mitt Romney, and I have to respectfully disagree.

Ed is missing the point, but then so is just about everyone, so I won’t hold it against him.

Romney is not going to lose because his statement was a gaffe.

He is going to lose because his statement is true.

If anything, Romney understates his numbers, and not by a couple of points, as the Daily Beast avers.

The dependent class includes the following, who may or may not be part of the 47 percent that pays no tax: members of public sector unions who look to the government to protect their extortion racket; women who look to the government to guarantee/pay for contraception and abortion; students who expect no interest student loans as a right, which they can then renege on without consequence; non-traditional couples who look to the government to force legal and religious sanction of their “marriages”; resentful failures who look to the government to punish those that “game the system”; folks directly employed by the government, or employed by firms that are dependent on government cash; grievance mongers who look to the government to redress various indignities and impositions, real or imagined; in short, everyone who takes a check from the government, or who has a chip on their shoulder. It’s way more than fifty percent of the electorate, and I am not including people on Social Security or Medicare, which are universal, shared entitlements, or people involved in the defense industry, which is vital to our national security, our economic well-being as a nation, and is not an entitlement.

The country is too far gone, and the Repubican Party bears part of the blame. They never, as an institution, fought this, instead handing out goodies to folks who hate them, like Obama in the Middle East.

I don’t know anyone who is for Mitt Romney. I know some people who are against Barack Obama, for whom Romney is default mode. But most people I talk to, even here in VA, will vote for Barack Obama.

It’s a shame, because I honestly believe that Mitt Romney, a decent man, would make a great President. Not good. Great. Because, above all, Romeny believes to the core of his being, that America is the exceptional nation. It’s part of his faith.

But not enough people believe this anymore. We are no longer a nation of citizens. And the whole rotten mess is going to have to collapse, throwing people back on their own devices, to sink or swim, to even give us a glimmer of a chance to get back to what we once were.

If we are lucky.

Mr. Arkadin on September 18, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I am

Jim Treacher on September 18, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Thank you Jim.

Texas Gal on September 18, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Scrumpy on September 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Scrumpy, I’m so sorry to learn you are ill.
But, someone counseled us years back about the ‘handout guilt’ that many of us, when NECESSARILY needy, might be comforted by …
Our gov’t actively STEALS ‘God’s money’ in taxes, from God’s people (that would freely been given as charity) and THAT’s what you’re receiving. There is no need for guilt ! He’s seeing to it that SOME of His are getting the care they need, with HIS money, DESPITE how it’s been obtained.
Think of this as His provision, albeit through the hands of the ‘money changers’, but He manages this sort of behind their backs. LOL.
I hope you can grasp the peace in this, since it TRULY relieved our spirits when we most needed it.
(He even proceeded to prove out this word of wisdom, as time went on)
Prayers.

pambi on September 18, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I see a new ad campaign here.

I want to be employed.
I want to pay my fair share of taxes.
I don’t want to be part of the 47 percent.
I’m voting for Mitt Romney.

Vote for Mitt and become part of the 53%

wordsmithy2009 on September 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM

of course the thinking isn’t as high level as TPM

U2denver on September 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM

You’re Funny.

The Cult Worship is strong with this one, folks…

Del Dolemonte on September 18, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Del:

urban elitist on September 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM

You sound very bitter… is your name Julia?

petunia on September 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I see a new ad campaign here.

I want to be employed.
I want to pay my fair share of taxes.
I don’t want to be part of the 47 49 percent.
I’m voting for Mitt Romney.

Vote for Mitt and become part of the 53%

wordsmithy2009 on September 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM

It’s 49% now – do the mathe – went up by 2% since May.

Schadenfreude on September 18, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I think that what Romney said is absolutely factual and probably the closest thing To the truth that I have heard from a politician in a long, long time. The truth hurts, accepting the truth puts you on the way to recovery. Really, would most of you in the 47% rather earn a check, then to receive a handout?

j bo on September 18, 2012 at 12:24 PM

math

Schadenfreude on September 18, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I still don’t get how anyone would vote for a guy who says he will lower sea levels. That is a cult.

tomas on September 18, 2012 at 12:29 PM

As long as we’re “getting real.” There’s something else Mitt forgot to mention. All those who don’t pay taxes — like payroll taxes — can’t collect Social Security because they never paid any in or didn’t pay in enough (10 years is the requirement to collect anything). Therefore, the 47% don’t care about deficits or social security reform or medicare reform or welfare reform for that matter because it doesn’t affect them. Being on the public dole releases you from the responsibility of caring what direction the country goes except to be sure that you’re still getting your check from the government.

Perhaps we should appeal to those voters by saying if the government debt doesn’t get fixed, then all government programs will go bye-bye. No checks for anyone.

wordsmithy2009 on September 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM

BISHOP you are exposed for your rampant hypocrisy ,you claim Hot Air does not like whining victims yet a large segment of Hot Airers /GOP/right wing worship at the altar of the biggest whiner victim of all time Ms. Palin

U2denver on September 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Do I have to put a sarc tag after everything? DC is relative affordable for a decent-sized city, has offered me steady employment at a reasonable wage, painless commutes and easy access to quality Ethiopian fare. I was not complaint about the expense ( though, moving from a job where I dressed in jeans most days to one requirent suits and ties was not inexpensive) of living here, just making fun of your assumptions and my own affection for shiny toys and Italian woolens.

By the way, I confess that I had no clue who Moe Ginsburg was. Before googling, I thought he was the Las Vegas mob boss in The Godfather.

urban elitist on September 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM

math

Schadenfreude on September 18, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Apparently difficult for some. ; )

Bmore on September 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM

U2denver on September 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Too Funny!!! Bishop, you gonna let that go? Lol!

Bmore on September 18, 2012 at 12:32 PM

I know we’re supposed to be in the “Mitt Romney can’t be what some people say he is because, if he is, Obama might win, so let’s un-parse his words faster than others parse them – also known as the ‘Mitt can’t gaffe’ theory” but….

To bring the 47% and the clingers concepts into sync, here’s another clue that Mitt’s simply clueless.

He’s the free enterprise, equal opportunity for all, up-by-your-bootstraps, anything-is-possible-in-America guy, right? Where does he think people are before they lift themselves up? Uh, down?

Aren’t there people in the 47% who want to make a better life for themselves? Aren’t there some guns and religion ‘clingers’ in the 47%? Aren’t there some independent-minded people in the 47%? None of those are potential voters for common sense government?

Or, is Mitt’s message only for those who’ve already made it out and to hell with the rest?

I know, I know, explain to me “that’s not what he meant” but I’d much prefer that the candidate tell me what he meant, and make it clear. This kind of comment is simplistic and, most important in a political sense, block-headed.

I know comparisons have been made to other candidates but I’m getting a real Gerald Ford feeling here. A man who was, according to all available evidence, damn smart. But, he didn’t seem like it.

Mitt might not be a block-head. But he sure seems like it.

And now he’s lumped every Palestinian in the same basket. NONE of them want peace. Just as NONE of his 47% could ever be his voters because they’re ALL more interested in free stuff than free enterprise.

He might be a smart man but that’s simply ignorance on display.

It’s going to take a very large clothes pin for the nose on election day to vote for this guy.

IndieDogg on September 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM

U2denver on September 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM

You need to come around more often, whiners of all stripes get shot down here on a regular basis; our food fights are bloody affairs.

You would probably be more comfortable at TPM where the dialogue is more in tune with your cultured tastes, I hear they don’t use swear words over there either so delicate sensibilities are safe.

Bishop on September 18, 2012 at 12:35 PM

U2denver on September 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM

So, Gov. Palin lives rent-free in your head, hmmm?

I’m shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

kingsjester on September 18, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Too Funny!!! Bishop, you gonna let that go? Lol!

Bmore on September 18, 2012 at 12:32 PM

It took time to get out the dictionary, I didn’t want to commit some written faux pas and send the young man into a swoon because of my lack of sophistication.

Bishop on September 18, 2012 at 12:38 PM

DC is relative affordable for a decent-sized city

urbane effetist on September 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM

DC is the 7th most expensive city in the US. Costs 137% more to live there than the national average.

Del Dolemonte on September 18, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Don’t you just love how Libs come here, insult Conservatives, and, then, get their knickers in a twist when they get insulted in return?

Oh, the Humanity.

kingsjester on September 18, 2012 at 12:39 PM

People pay taxes everytime they buy something.

tomas on September 18, 2012 at 12:40 PM

U2denver on September 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Comedy Gold! We have a Live One here…

You really should change your nom to BobDenver.

Del Dolemonte on September 18, 2012 at 12:40 PM

tomas on September 18, 2012 at 12:29 PM

And these people largely see themselves as more intellectual than we are.
Alinskyite tactics apply here. Most Obama voters are deluded buffoons who really believed the shovels full of manure he buried them with on the 2008 campaign trail.
And they should be called out for their foolishness. They are not intellectual. They are either committed socialists, or pitifully gullible.

Right Mover on September 18, 2012 at 12:40 PM

On August 11, 1984, United States President Ronald Reagan, while running for re-election, was preparing to make his weekly Saturday address on National Public Radio. As a sound check prior to the address, Reagan made the following joke to the radio technicians:

My fellow Americans, I’m pleased to tell you today that I’ve signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes.

jaime on September 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM

U2denver on September 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM

How does it feel to be so utterly and nakedly exposed, Bishop? I must know.

RepubChica on September 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Reagan 1984 = Landslide

jaime on September 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM

RepubChica on September 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I really did not need that image, darlin’.

I’m just sayin’.

kingsjester on September 18, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Oh, the Humanity.

kingsjester on September 18, 2012 at 12:39 PM

You know they are going off the rails when you go to the Hot Gas headlines, and see Democrat Cartoon Character “Kunta Kinte” desperately citing Billy Kristol…

Del Dolemonte on September 18, 2012 at 12:43 PM

urban elitist on September 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM

liberal

jaime on September 18, 2012 at 12:44 PM

BISHOP now you merely expose your lack of maturity … for you it is all about the food fighting not political discourse aimed at the sharing of conflicting political notions …

U2denver on September 18, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Del Dolemonte on September 18, 2012 at 12:43 PM

That one has been a legend in a short period of time. And, not for its intellect.

kingsjester on September 18, 2012 at 12:45 PM

IndieDogg on September 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM

liberal

jaime on September 18, 2012 at 12:45 PM

How does it feel to be so utterly and nakedly exposed, Bishop? I must know.

RepubChica on September 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I chose the wrong day to go commando.

Bishop on September 18, 2012 at 12:45 PM

U2denver on September 18, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Pardon me…but, do you have any Grey Poupon?

kingsjester on September 18, 2012 at 12:46 PM

U2denver on September 18, 2012 at 12:44 PM

liberal

jaime on September 18, 2012 at 12:46 PM

tomas on September 18, 2012 at 12:29 PM

And these people largely see themselves as more intellectual than we are.

Right Mover on September 18, 2012 at 12:40 PM

My job takes me into the homes of perfect strangers. Over the past several months I have visited several homes where the owners actually had shrines to O’bamna in their bedrooms. And when I happened by one of those houses the other day, I noticed that the occupant had since I was there erected a very elaborate, and obviously very expensive, circular O’bamna Logo on the outside of his house.

Last time I saw that sort of Cult Worship, 909 innocent people died in 1978 after drinking Purple Kool Aid.

Del Dolemonte on September 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM

KIngs Jester , no the only thing Ms. Palin does for me is to give me hope and faith in this great country of ours since she has been rejected so clearly by both parties ,she herself knows she has been rejected or she would have run for the GOP nomination

U2denver on September 18, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Were the leftists CROWING about how Romney would get LESS THAN 1% of the African American vote ?
And were they giddy about Romney getting ONLY 30% of the Hispanic vote?

Why do they have a problem understanding the 47% number again ??

I get the Government moocher disdain from the left……

But is Romney wrong in what he says- or does the 47% polling numbers for Ocommie just seem coincidental?

FlaMurph on September 18, 2012 at 12:49 PM

You know, living in DC, I’m pretty clued in on how much living in DC costs.

On a technical level, I think you mean to say that DC costs 37% percent more than other cities or 137% of the national average. 137% MORE implies that it’s more than twice as expensive to live here.

Interestingly, the Kiplinger Report which it appears you are referring to, notes that we’re third on the “best cities” list, so we’re apparently getting a good value for the premium prices we pay.

At any rate, I have no desire to move to Des Moins or Houston just to save money, and happily can afford my current life.

urban elitist on September 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Jaime ,thanks for the compliment of being called a liberal

U2denver on September 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM

U2denver on September 18, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Well…she must do something else for you, kid. You brought her up.

kingsjester on September 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM