Mitt responds to 47 percent-flap: “We have two very different views about America”

posted at 6:41 pm on September 18, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Mitt Romney appeared on Cavuto this afternoon to personally respond to today’s fallout over whether his remarks about 47 percent of the electorate at a private fundraiser awhile back were right on the money or hopelessly callous. Although he already admitted that his remarks probably weren’t very “elegant” in a statement last night, he didn’t come any closer to apologizing for the meat of his message this afternoon. Via Mediaite:

Frankly, we have two different views about America. The president’s view is one of a larger government. There is a tape that came out today where is the president is saying he likes redistribution. I disagree. I think a society based upon a government-centered nation, where government plays a larger and larger role, redistributes money, that’s the wrong course for America. That will not build a strong America or help people out of poverty. … No, I’m talking about a perspective of individuals who I’m not likely to get to support me. I recognize that those people who are not paying income tax are going to say, ‘Gosh, this provision that Mitt keeps talking about lowering income taxes,’ that’s not going to be attractive to them. And those that are dependent on government and those that think government’s job is redistribute — I’m not going to get them.

Yes, it’s probably true that those private comments weren’t tailor-made for mass production, but as Romney already explained, he wasn’t saying that he “doesn’t care” about the welfare of the 47-ish percent of people who are squarely in President Obama’s camp — he was merely saying that the nature of this presidential election means the crucial thing is to convince the independents/swing voters, and then subsequently use the wealth-creating, economy-growing, jobs-producing, and independence-encouraging policies of his own presidency as testimony to convince the remainder that his is the right course for the country, for goodness’ sake. I wonder if the rest of the mainstream media have managed to get up off of their fainting couches yet.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Such a bunch of whiners at the 47%.

I love the 47% figure because the media let it have traction. The dems have been saying there was the 1% and the 99% and we were saying there were the 50% that didn’t pay taxes, and the media was walking on eggshells not to repeat that, but now they have jumped headlong into it.

For people on our side to be whining that Mitt did not have it correct, that some of us republicans and some of our independent supporters are in the group that doesn’t pay taxes or a group that gets a government benefit like Social Security is just a ruse.

If I hear one more person say that my Parent student loan is some kind of freebie from the federal government I am going to scream. I pay the federal government 8.5% to the Obama treasury Stash. They are making a HUGE profit on my student loan, and I don’t think they should be in the student loan business at all.

For one, some people who get a Social Security check have the majority of the assets of the country, the average senior citizen household has still got, even after being ravaged unmercifully by the Obama economy, about 150K or more in assets. That is the AVERAGE. If you are in the 47% that don’t pay taxes, but have assets, you might WANT to vote for Romney so that the rest of your assets don’t disappear come January 2013. Romney was reciting a laundry list of the kind of people that would not hear an argument against raising taxes, and not presenting a fully documented research paper that he might for economics class. Stop thinking of only yourself, and being so childish: it was a generalization. It was also an off the cuff answer to a question that we do not know the phrasing of, and has been snipped off the video so you don’t get the context.

Do any of you seriously think that Romney wouldn’t welcome voters who statistically fall into the pro Obama camp? Of course our way would be better for them, they just don’t know it!

Fleuries on September 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM

The republic is over if Obama wins the election.
philwynk on September 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Thats a realistic statement. Persuassive. I am sure it will convince hundreds of trillions of independents to change their vote to Romney.

I also like the vote for so and so is really a vote for the incumbent line. Why is that? Why is it not a vote for Romney? If it can be for someone other than the vote, it could be for anyone! But hey, it is your logic. It is totally convincing. The quadrillions of remaining independents are surely now going to vote for Romney because of your gentle art of persuassion technique.

A vote is effectively consent. What if I do not consent to the government being outside the constitution and I have no power to get it back? What if I do not consent to having my not allowed to vote child’s wealth redistributed to people who can vote? What if both candidates are people who have the intention to do things I do not consent to?

Your a bully. You are no better than the SEIU thugs, the Wisconsin Teacher Union thugs or the OWS crowd in this respect. If you cannot make your arguments logically, you are perfectly willing to brow beat and scream down your opponent with stupidity as your weapon.

OMG the republic is over if Obama wins!
If you do not vote or vote for someone other than the two main people, then you are voting for MY personal enemy! waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Your vote belongs to me!

astonerii on September 19, 2012 at 10:02 AM

You have to be a damned retard to not understand that Mitt’s comments were not directed at these people in a way that paints them as leeches, even though that really is what SOME of them are.

Badger40 on September 19, 2012 at 8:21 AM

“I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.”

People who can never be convinced they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives? Sound like leeches to me.

rjl1999 on September 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM

. If you are in the 47% that don’t pay taxes, but have assets, you might WANT to vote for Romney so that the rest of your assets don’t disappear come January 2013. …

Fleuries on September 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Well, according to what he said, he isn’t even going to try to convince them to support him. And that is the true problem with what he said. Just writing off that 47% is beyond stupid. They may have other reasons to vote for him, or they may have hopes to one day move out of the 47%. He needs to be making a case for his and free market solutions. He’s not doing that. Here’s what he’s doing: Obama bad. Prairie Fire! Debt! Jobs! Economy! Shouting buzzwords aren’t going to do anything if you don’t convince people that you have any solutions or that your solutions will work.

besser tot als rot on September 19, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Just writing off that 47% is beyond stupid

besser tot als rot on September 19, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Turns out, most of that 47% are probably beyond stupid.
Hence, they are Liberals.

Badger40 on September 19, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I’m much more comfortable with disrespecting the dependent than I am with stealing the honestly-earned wealth of citizens.

So I guess I’m voting for Romney.

philwynk on September 19, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Good point.

rjl1999 on September 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Well of course they are. But even as ‘inelegant’ as Romney was, he wasn’t disrespectful of these parasites.

Badger40 on September 19, 2012 at 8:31 PM