Top Romney advisor: He’ll focus more on policy specifics from now on

posted at 4:43 pm on September 17, 2012 by Allahpundit

A footnote to Ed’s post from this morning about the ever-shifting media narrative on Mitt’s next move. Whichever strategy he settles on, filling in the blanks on policy will be part of it:

“We do think the timing is right to reinforce more specifics about the Romney plan for a stronger middle class,” said Romney adviser Ed Gillespie on a conference call with reporters Monday morning. Voters can expect, he said, more specifics on how Romney’s plans to expand domestic energy production and crack down on unfair trade policies from China will help the middle class.

“What we have found is that people want to hear a little bit more of that,” Gillespie said. “Not just to say that we have a plan, but here’s what’s in that plan. And so we think there’s a demand out there for that.”…

Gillespie said the new strategy will be deployed in speeches, events, background papers, campaign surrogate appearances, and in paid advertisements. This refocus will be seen, he said, in Romney’s Monday address to the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. Gillespie also pointed to the campaign’s latest ads, which focus on the debt racked up under Obama and offers more details on Romney’s “plan for a stronger middle class.”

They’ve shied away from specifics on some policies so far because providing them would give Obama’s team a target, and that would upset the broader Romney strategy of making the election a referendum on O. Sounds like they’ve now abandoned the referendum strategy, though (I thought they had abandoned it when they named Ryan VP), and so if they’re going to offer voters a choice, they might as well make that choice as vivid as possible. I think it’s useful to do this, not because the sort of casual swing voter who spends more time watching “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo” than the news cares about Romney’s 18-point plan on energy, but because (a) pushing out specific proposals gives Romney more control of the day-to-day media narrative on the race and (b) it helps fill him out in voters’ minds as something more than just “Not Obama.” One of his biggest problems so far, I think, is that it’s been hard to answer the question, “What is his campaign about?” Voters could answer that question easily in 2008 for Obama — it’s about Hopenchange!!1! — but, except for the immediate aftermath of the Ryan pick, when it looked like deficit reduction might surge to the top of the agenda, there hasn’t been a clear answer beyond, “We need someone new to handle the economy.” That was a sound plan with unemployment over eight percent for three years, but it turns out it’s harder than we thought to beat a well-funded incumbent while running, essentially, as “someone new.”

Two humble requests for the new specificity. One: To whatever extent possible, Mitt should contrast his proposals not only with Obama’s but with Bush’s. The GOP’s done well for itself with that strategy in the realm of fiscal policy; Romney should extend it to other policy areas too, as I do think there’s something to the idea that low-information voters are apt to treat him as Dubya II otherwise. (That may help explain why Romney’s “referendum” strategy hasn’t worked as well as hoped. If swing voters see him as another Bush, then they’re bound to conceive of the election as a choice between the last two presidents, not as a referendum on O.) Two: He’s got to connect the specifics of his proposals to bread-and-butter issues. The CSM has a helpful reminder today that, while many voters couldn’t tell you whether the latest jobs report number is good or bad, they can tell you a lot about the price of gas and groceries.

Is that steel plant closing? Are Ford or General Motors rehiring? How much are those groceries? What’s a full tank of gas going to run me? How much is our house worth? How’s that 401(k) doing? When will I find another job? Will our college-educated daughter ever find work and move out.

These are the kinds of questions economists and pollsters say are on people’s minds more than government statistics…

“The flow of economic news matters,” but only to supplement what their own eyes tell them, Mellman added.

I was taken aback over the weekend when my very apolitical brother turned to me at dinner and asked why no one was talking about gas prices. This is the stuff casual voters pay attention to. Every Romney proposal about offshore drilling and nuclear energy should proceed from the threshold question of “How can we make it cheaper for you to fill up your car?” That’s politics 101, I know, but this is the sort of elementary thing that gets lost in the daily diet of nonsense that political junkies like me consume. What can Obama and Romney do to make gas cheaper? What can they do to make bread, milk, meat, etc, a bit less expensive? Penetrate on those questions and you’ve got traction.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

And eventually you find yourself voting for Vladimir Lenin to keep that Joseph Stalin guy out.

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 5:35 PM

There is value in throwing your allies out into the wilderness when needed. Times when your supposed allies are more like your enemies is one of them.

moving onward…

When you allow the Republican party to move to the left, because the other party is worse… all you get is a worse your own party and leave the even worse party more room to move even further left and still look like a reasonable choice! Then you have an even worse other party so now your party can select and even worse candidate and still be slightly to the left of the more left left one. Rinse and repeat a few cycles and now your Party is the other party and the other party has moved on to being just as far away as before.

YOU CANNOT OUT LIBERAL THE DEMOCRAT PARTY, all you can do is either make a stark and striking contrast to them or you can keep chasing them further left. 80% of the democratic vote is not up for grabs and never will be. It is ingrained in them like religion to go to the polls and vote straight ticket (D).

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Penetrate on those questions and you’ve got traction.

Good point!..Let’s hope Romney follows thru with it!..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Thanks to another commenter, my over-long sarcastic rant should obviously have included:

* no Medicare Part D

* no No Child Left Behind

TARP and the jaw-dropping “abandon capitalism to save it” statement were sorta kinda meant to be included in my raging against the limp and disastrous response to the “financial crisis”

IceCold on September 17, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Sadly, I doubt Mitt Romney will be able to convincingly lament the fact that Tombstone Pizzas are now going for what a DiGiornio would have cost in 2008. Seriously: $6.68 for a friggin’ pepperoni Tombstone pizza. What’s up with that?

Lawdawg86 on September 17, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I did not particularly like Perry, but he would be a far cry better than Romney.

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Then write him in. You do huff and puff a lot. Look, you can support any candidate you like. Go campaign for Obama. Or Romney. Go give Rick Perry some money if you want. http://www.rickperry.org/donate

Someone is going to win the next election. You can support anyone you’d like. You can vote Libertarian or vote Green Party or whatever. By all means, convince some of us to vote for someone else other than Romney. I’m happy to hear the argument. But this whole “not-voting” shtick is so utterly pathetic. You are alive. You are a citizen of the United States. You have this right to vote. Yes, of course you also have the right to not vote. But don’t think that anyone will look at that as some kind of “protest”. It’s no more a protest than a dead U.S. soldier no longer being able to vote (on the account of him being dead) is a protest. Yes, people have died to secure your freedom to vote. You can scoff at that all you’d like, but it doesn’t make your pathetic little tirades any more convincing.

Decrying the outcome of the Republican primary is useless. It’s over. It happened. It’s just useless to your cause (whatever that cause is, I’m really not sure) but you just continue blathering on and on about something that has already taken place.
___
I’m only responding because I’m bored and none of the Obama trolls have any good arguments to smack down.

happytobehere on September 17, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Has anyone checked out the cost of fresh arugula..? Wow!

d1carter on September 17, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Gee, what a surprise…the first part of a campaign you don’t do “details”, you give an overview, you are introducing your self. As time passes and the election day gets closer, you get more detailed and your ads adjust and focus on what is currently relevant.
You can waste you time and money months before election, to find out that weeks before something like this embassy fiasco happens.

Now that his has reared it’s ugly head, you separate yourself from Obama on foreign policy.

In the next 45 days other events will happen, and you have to be ready to take advantage of these events.

Meanwhile, as he and Ryan has done, you keep hammering away at the economy and soon energy if the oil keeps going up…

The campaign shifts, all campaign shifts, depending on how close the election date is, how relevant certain events are.

If Obama meets with Leno, and not Israel…watch the fireworks on that one…

right2bright on September 17, 2012 at 5:47 PM

So will he be focusing more or less on how lazy and parasitic he thinks the electorate is?

Constantine on September 17, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Thank you Republican Establishment Overlords for convincing us Mitt is electable!

newtopia on September 17, 2012 at 5:04 PM

For the record, many of us have yet to be convinced. Hopeful, yes. Convinced, no.

Midas on September 17, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Constantine on September 17, 2012 at 5:49 PM

WoW!!..Mother Jones article???..LOLZ..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 5:50 PM

She won’t do it for several reasons, but if you-know-who publicly criticized Romney’s campaign, I bet we could reach 5,000 comments.

Mr. Wednesday Night on September 17, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Dear Mr. Pundit,

I’ve said it before and, because I like restating wearying clichés as a result of not doing too well at school: I’ll say it again.

I don’t think your website is using the word “narrative” enough. Nor are you, personally. Neither you nor your website is saying “meme” enough. We need more “MSM” on your site. There’s just not enough at the moment.

I’d also like to see more use of the term “prior to”. This is obviously better than “before” and plainly your subscribers should be urged to use “prior to” more often. Perhaps they could be encouraged to write “posterior to” instead of “after”.

I am also missing a more robust use of “0bama” rather than Obama. The former, I’m sure you’ll agree, is much more incisive in its political astuteness.

JackieB on September 17, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Constantine on September 17, 2012 at 5:49 PM

That video is awesome and you know it. I’m shocked that MotherJones is running it. They can’t be so stupid as to think that will hurt his campaign, or can they?

happytobehere on September 17, 2012 at 5:51 PM

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 5:41 PM

This is exactly the problem and we are once again seeing this in action with Romney and Obama with heartfelt promises that this will absolutely be the last compromise and then it will start being conservative again.

Its a con and it works every time and the GOP is knowingly a part of the con.

“if you don’t know who the sucker at the table is – it’s probably you.”

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I want to see one thing and one thing only.
No more deficit spending. Cut, Cap and Balance! If he has the ability to hit other topics great. But I want an end to deficit spending in my lifetime.

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I hate to break it to you but Romney is in favor of Cut, Cap and Balance. I can’t remember exactly WHEN he first advocated it but I do know it was BEFORE you posted 3698 comments saying you hate his guts. Click the link. Fool.

You of course are not alone on this site as someone who thinks Romney hasn’t taken a position on an issue because you are so filled with hate you aren’t paying attention. You are however the worst offender.

Basilsbest on September 17, 2012 at 5:54 PM

happytobehere on September 17, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I was replying to a question.

Your right, I can vote anyone I want.

The only one who has a chance of winning is Romney.

Romney is no where near ideal.

I am told we can get him to do good things if we hold his feet to the fire.

Ok, fine, how do we hold his feet to the fire?

We protest the entire time he is in office?

I say the only way he gets his feet held to the fire is to make him stick his career on the line. The only career he has left is a potential second term. If he does not win this election, he will never be chosen a second time.

Thus, like George Herbert Walker Bush did, he put his second term on the line, Read My Lips, No New Taxes!

So, what is it that we need in order to get our country back on the right track? Spending, more spending and even more spending is the problem. But, how can we spend so much? The economy is in the tank and the Fed is only pulling in 15.6% of GDP… Deficit spending.

Voters will always want to vote themselves money from other people. People are in it for themselves. I do not, I wonder what the hell is wrong with me!?! But election after election after election, politicians buy votes by making promises with other people’s money. Now they just make them promises with deficit spending. That takes the potential opposition out of the equation. The deficit does not vote! My child does not vote, your child does not vote. At least i hope if they are in fact a child they do not!.

The only way to change the direction of the nation is to stop the deficit spending. So that is what we should hold his feet to the fire on. But not just during his time in office. He will be replaced. At some point by someone like Obama or even worse… Now is the time for the Constitutional Amendment that Caps federal spending and requires that all budgets be fully balanced. With the exception of national security and war time expenses.

That is what we need to get his feet held to the fire over. Everything else will be forced to work itself out due to the restriction in money feeding the beast.

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Basilsbest on September 17, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Good point!..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Honestly, I’ve seen this debated 1000′s of times but what can a President due to really bring down gas prices?

I know what can be done in the long term over the period of 4-8 years.

But what can be done to bring gas prices down now? If Romney wins on Tuesday will my gas prices go down the following week? Month? Year? Four years?

I think Romney had something with the unsatisfied Obama voters. I think a lot of people at this site, or just people in general only have their point of view. When you only have your point of view that makes your arguements less potent. I think the best arguements are made by those who are educated on all sides of an arguement. If you can argue against something just as well as you could argue for it then I take your opinion with more weight then someone who simply labels all competing opinions then their own stupid/dumb/etc.

Now Im never going to go vote for Romney but there are certain things he could say that may convince me to stay home.

Politricks on September 17, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Basilsbest on September 17, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Since when have politicians ever been forced to follow through on campaign promises made during their presidency? I can think of only one single time. Read My Lips, No New taxes. And even then he did not follow through.

Romney needs that level of clarity. It will earn my vote.

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 5:56 PM

TALK ABOUT THE G-DAMNED GAS PRICES YOU IDIOTS!

The stupid party. /sigh

rickyricardo on September 17, 2012 at 5:57 PM

“Reuters/IPSOS poll resurfaced today after it disappeared for days, when it can add the weekend Dem over-samples. It said Barry leads Romney by 5, which is down 2 from last week. It did not report on Independents, which in the Reuters/IPSOS poll had always favored Romney. And it discloses today the poll has a MOE of 4.9. So the 5 point lead is a statistical tie, after it included weekends’ number.”

This need to explain away bad poll numbers is like disease infecting Republicans. 08 should have taught you that sometimes a candidate just stinks and gets his butt kicked. That might be happening with Romney.

gumbyandpokey on September 17, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I hate to break it to you but Romney is in favor of…

Basilsbest on September 17, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I hate to break it to you but Romney is in favor of…[fill in item A]*

I hate to break it to you but Romney is against…[fill in item A]*

Repeat for all items*

*Romneycare is the only known exception to the above rule.

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Before everyone runs and jumps off of the cliff, ask yourself this; do you trust Rasmussen or the NYT, NBC or CBS?

Tater Salad on September 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Constantine on September 17, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Obama voters are not the only ones who make up the electorate.
There are non-parasitic taxpaying patriotic American citizens too , who run small businesses and don’t work for the government .

burrata on September 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Watching Republicans try to run a general eletion campaign is like watching the Tennessee Titans try to get a first down.

rickyricardo on September 17, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Constantine on September 17, 2012 at 5:49 PM

happytobehere on September 17, 2012 at 5:51 PM

If you think it will help Romney, by all means spread the word far and wide; if that were the case I think Hot Air would have jumped on it. Right now they’re probably formulating a narrative about a Romney clonebot developed by the liberal techno-elite to discredit him.

Constantine on September 17, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Constantine on September 17, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Fits my meme!

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Simply put there is no candidate that is “perfect”, however Newt and Rick were poor candidates and would have been so mired in controversy at this point, the idea of focusing on the economy and foreign policy would be an after thought.

Tater Salad on September 17, 2012 at 5:34 PM

It’s better than having a cnadidate who’s mired in nothingness and is trying to enunicate a month and a half before the election what he’s about. This is pitiful.

ddrintn on September 17, 2012 at 6:06 PM

I hate to break it to you but Romney is in favor of…

Basilsbest on September 17, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I hate to break it to you but Romney is in favor of…[fill in item A]*

I hate to break it to you but Romney is against…[fill in item A]*

Repeat for all items*

*Romneycare is the only known exception to the above rule.

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM

I knew you would weigh in. Romney signed the Romneycare Bill. There is nothing he can say which would convince you of his bona fides – not even the fact that if he does not sign a bill repealing Obamacare his presidency is finished. When it comes to assessing Romney, logic is in short supply among his fiercest critics. I’ll pay you the compliment of saying you are one of the best.

Basilsbest on September 17, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Tater Salad on September 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM

None of the above, really. There dind’t seem to be this micro-examination of every poll when they were saying Mitt’s the Only One Who Can Beat Obama ™ . Now, every poll BUT Rasmussen was apparently forged in hell by Satan himself.

ddrintn on September 17, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Basilsbest on September 17, 2012 at 6:13 PM

ddrintn on September 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Fits my meme!

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 6:06 PM

..speaking of fitting, sew any new dresses, Buffalo Bill?

The War Planner on September 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Fits my meme!

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 6:06 PM

..speaking of fitting, sew any new dresses, Buffalo Bill?

The War Planner on September 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM

What a thuggish gasbag you are. Do you have anything other than 8th-grade level insults?

ddrintn on September 17, 2012 at 6:19 PM

There is nothing he can say which would convince you of his bona fides –

Thats right, there isn’t.

I have this bad habit of judging people based on what they do, not on what they say.

I have had Romney supporters try to tell me that the Massachusetts economy being 48th in job creation out of 50 was a good thing.

I have no doubt they would say anything.

Basilsbest on September 17, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging of the future but by the past…” – Patrick Henry

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 6:21 PM

..speaking of fitting, sew any new dresses, Buffalo Bill?

The War Planner on September 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Been to any rape tents wannabee OWSer?

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 6:23 PM

The unemployment rate was 4.7%.

Basilsbest on September 17, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Oh, give me a break. If Romney were elected and does nothing at all about O-care, you and your fellow ‘bots will be running all over the place talking about the brilliance of Mitt’s strategy and how the stupid rubes are just too dull to see it. ddrintn on September 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Criticizing people, not based on what they’ve done, but what you claim they will do. Surely, you are a liberal.

Basilsbest on September 17, 2012 at 6:28 PM

..speaking of fitting, sew any new dresses, Buffalo Bill?

The War Planner on September 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Been to any rape tents wannabee OWSer?

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I have to apologize. No, no one told me I have to. I went a bit over board on this one.

I still think your are more like a progressive thug than anything else. But the rape tent thing is a bit far.

I hope everyone here will accept my apology for getting overly worked up…

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I hope everyone here will accept my apology for getting overly worked up…

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 6:34 PM

When I get angry I always try to make a coffee before I reply. Doesn’t always work, but most of the time.

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Constantine on September 17, 2012 at 5:49 PM

If Mother Jones thinks that’s the equivalent of Obama’s “clinging to their religion & guns” revelation they’re clueless. Otoh, it’s great to know Romney considers the big government view of the Obama voter as a negative.

conservative pilgrim on September 17, 2012 at 6:39 PM

“if you don’t know who the sucker at the table is – it’s probably you.”

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I take it you don’t see the irony of your post??

right2bright on September 17, 2012 at 6:42 PM

If Mother Jones thinks that’s the equivalent of Obama’s “clinging to their religion & guns” revelation they’re clueless. Otoh, it’s great to know Romney considers the big government view of the Obama voter as a negative to his chances of winning their vote as a republican.

conservative pilgrim on September 17, 2012 at 6:39 PM

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 6:42 PM

The unemployment rate was 4.7%.

Basilsbest on September 17, 2012 at 6:25 PM

And people were leaving the state for jobs elsewhere.

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 6:42 PM

I take it you don’t see the irony of your post??

right2bright on September 17, 2012 at 6:42 PM

We are all being played for suckers, and I am well aware of that.

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 6:43 PM

The unemployment rate was 4.7%.

Basilsbest on September 17, 2012 at 6:25 PM

The poster doesn’t understand that if you have a glass that is 1/4, and one that is 7/8 full, if you add an 1/8 to the nearly full glass, or double the other one, they would want the glass that is doubled because it was increased more…economy is more than just one statistic, but that would confuse them.

right2bright on September 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Do you really no see a difference between Obie and Mitt Romney??..Really??..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Do you really no see a difference between Obie and Mitt Romney??..Really??..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Of course there is a difference. It just isn’t a difference that effectively has much meaning.

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 6:56 PM

right2bright on September 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Much like our persistent but lowering rate in America today. The only lowering has been accomplished by early retirees and fully leaving the workforce other’s due to there really being no chance for them to land a job. So the total number of potential counted workers has decreased, and while the number of actual workers has not gone up. We call this a joke metric because we are not in fact creating jobs, but still losing them or remaining the same employment totals.

The same effect works in reverse though. In a thriving economy, more people who have been sidelined rejoin the workforce, or join for the first time because the rewards for working for them have increased as the demand for more bodies has increased to fill customer demands. So a housewife who would not work for 26k a year starting part time salary would go to work for the newly revised up salary of 29k a year part time. This drives the number of prospective employees up, and the actual unemployment rate and actual employment rate may both spike.

The number you are looking for is how many new actual employees or how many actual work hours were increased or decreased to see the real effect, along with productivity, how much wealth was being created per worker hour.

I do not have the numbers. But I am guessing that it was not a significantly large number based on the tax increases by another name and other regulatory items Romney supported as governor. I am willing to read numbers if you make them concise.

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 6:58 PM

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 6:56 PM

lolz..If you say so!!..Do some research!..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Since you are voting for Obie..You should be well versed in numbers!!..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 7:01 PM

The unemployment rate was 4.7%.

Basilsbest on September 17, 2012 at 6:25 PM

And people were leaving the state for jobs elsewhere.

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 6:42 PM

5% is generally considered full employment so it’s not surprising people would leave if they didn’t have a job – if in fact that’s the case. The unemployment rate when Romney took office was 5.7% and 4.7% when he left. That you think this is a negative for Romney says nothing about him, but lots about you.

Basilsbest on September 17, 2012 at 7:01 PM

lolz..If you say so!!..Do some research!..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I have and I am certain I know more about Romney than you do.

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I have and I am certain I know more about Romney than you do.

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 7:02 PM

From your posts I doubt that!..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Do you really no see a difference between Obie and Mitt Romney??..Really??..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 6:56 PM

It’s your comments which have no meaning, except to demonstrate your irrational antipathy toward Romney.

Basilsbest on September 17, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Basilsbest on September 17, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Bingo!!..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 7:05 PM

From your posts I doubt that!..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 7:03 PM

You have not posted anything to show you know much of anything. Just jeers. Similar to what the SEIU thugs do, the Teachers unions do, the OWS crowd does.

I asked you to provide some numbers so I could see if Massachusetts was doing awesome like you said it was. Instead you just attacked, like a progressive, leaving any information outside the discussion. Since your in the know as you say, it is much easier for you to provide numbers than for me to search for them myself. Efficiency is a good thing.

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 7:12 PM

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 7:12 PM

You can go to Romney’s website..That would be a start!!..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 7:15 PM

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 7:12 PM

From your early comment @ 6:23pm I would not be critizing other posters!..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 7:15 PM

The comparisons make clear that state government employment increased 2.8% in Massachusetts, more than twice the national state government employment aggregate of 1.1%. Private sector employment over the same period in Massachusetts increased 1.4%, less than a quarter of the national aggregate of 5.9%. It should be noted that this comparative performance decrement mirrors economic growth in the state as annual real GDP grew 1.6% over Romney’s tenure, as opposed to an annual increase of 2.7% nationally.

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Mittens,from Today!
===================

Romney Addresses Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Nat’l Convention

Los Angeles, CA
Monday, September 17, 2012
***************************

Video:(26:35)

Republican Presidential Candidate Mitt Romney addressed the 33rd Annual U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce National Convention in Los Angeles, CA.

The former Governor planned to discuss the importance of small business in fueling the U.S. economy to Hispanic business owners, corporate executives, chamber leaders and public officials in attendance,” according to a press release.

Ahead of his speech to the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, the Romney campaign released a new web ad entitled “Herencia Hispana” to commemorate Hispanic Heritage Month.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, 16.7% of the 2011 U.S. population is Hispanic or Latino origin.
=========================================

canopfor on September 17, 2012 at 7:24 PM

From your early comment @ 6:23pm I would not be critizing other posters!..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Dire Straits:

Dude…………*Waves*!:)

canopfor on September 17, 2012 at 7:25 PM

starting on day one 288 billion on GDP, starting on day one of his successor, GDP of 338 billion. A 17.4 increase in 4 years.

If we shift it a year to allow for Romney’s policies to have been the driver…
Starting 1 year in 298 billion and 4 years later at 352 billion.
an 18.1% increase.

California, which know for a fact was not run well, start in 2003 with 1,550 billion and ended 4 years later with 1,765 billion, or a 13.8% increase.

Illinois, 519B to 628B, for 21%.

I dunno, Texas? 825B to 1,150B, hmmm 39.4%.

If you look back on the charts for Massachusetts, you see outside of the hits for the 2008 crisis and the 9/11 attacks, the growth is a constant linear trend… So, if Illinois beat Romney, California did moderately well in losing and Texas blew the doors off romney for GDP growth, and Romney’s predecessors all matched him and his successor, after the crisis, is matching his growth percent…

These are just numbers. But they tell the tale of business climate in each of the states. Before Romney, there was the same growth rate, outside of the downturn as with Romney and after Romney the same growth rate outside of the 2008 crisis, directly before and directly after. In fact, doing a straight edge comparison, Romney’s period in office is actually a slightly shallower slope than the other two periods, pre 2001 and post 2009.

Now we know why numbers were not presented.

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 7:34 PM

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 7:36 PM

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Wow!..Great job!..You are going to pick up a lot of voters for Obie with those numbers!!..:)

PS..Go to Romney’s website and look!..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 7:38 PM

canopfor on September 17, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Good Evening Friend!!..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 7:39 PM

You can go to Romney’s website..That would be a start!!..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I never take people’s word for their own crowing for much value. Even i lie to myself when it makes me feel better. I may think to myslf as I look at a dirty glass on my computer desk, I did ALL THE DISHES. Well, all but the one. But it feels better to think I did do them all. As I look at this dirty bastage of a glass on my desk. That said. I ran down the numbers. It does not look super pretty for romney. Illinois beat him on GDP growth. Maybe I should look at the REAL gdp… BRB

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 7:40 PM

So you’ve got nothing?

PS..Go to Romney’s website and look!..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I have a root canal planned.

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 7:41 PM

6.05% for mass for romney’s 4 years. it is a pretty linear trend.

26.3 for california.

6.75 for illinois… I think I might have to write off the califrnia numbers, gotta be an error there…

16.9 for texas.

Under performer.

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I have a root canal planned.

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 7:41 PM

LoLz..I figured that!!..:)

PS..And you are using numbers from how many years ago???!!??..Even Team Obie is not doing that!!..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Should I be using numbers from when he wasn’t governor of Massachusetts?

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 7:54 PM

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 7:40 PM

*golf clap*..Romney will be much better than Obie!!..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Should I be using numbers from when he wasn’t governor of Massachusetts?

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 7:54 PM

4.7% unemployment!!..Why use those stats??..Go to website and see his plan!!..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 8:02 PM

You aren’t interested in the truth of Romney’s economic record in Massachusetts. I am. You want to see Team GOP score the winning touchdown. Just a difference of priorities.

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 8:07 PM

canopfor on September 17, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Good Evening Friend!!..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Dire Straits:Yes,long time no see,my H/A friend,looks like
its going to be another busy news week—-:)

canopfor on September 17, 2012 at 8:09 PM

…it’s the ECONOMY stupid…!!!

KOOLAID2 on September 17, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Just a difference of priorities.

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Yes I want to see Mitt Romney defeat Obie in November!!..Good luck with trying to figure out Romney economic policy from years ago!!..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 8:21 PM

canopfor on September 17, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Yes it has been a while..Too long in fact!!..Again it is good to see you!!..I agree it is going to be busy for the next couple of months!!..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 8:26 PM

astonerii September 17, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Yeah right. The taker will never vote for Romney. But this helps fire up the base, that 10-15% that needs to vote for Romney.

conservative pilgrim on September 17, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Basilsbest on September 17, 2012 at 6:28 PM

You sit thewre and rationalize away everything Romney has said or done, and you call ME a liberal. Orwellian. Down is up, black is white.

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Exactly. The GOPe could tap Henry Waxman to be their standard-bearer and these clowns would still be doing their Rah Rah Red Team stuff. “At least he’s not as bad as Obama!”

ddrintn on September 17, 2012 at 9:08 PM

ddrintn on September 17, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Basically. Its a sports team to them. You root for the home team and thats all there is to it.

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 9:12 PM

ddrintn on September 17, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Simple Question..Are you going to vote for Obie??..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 9:16 PM

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Simple Question..Are you going to vote for Obie??..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Simple Question..Are you going to vote for Obie??..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 9:17 PM