Salman Rushdie: Actually, no, I don’t sympathize with the Mohammed filmmaker who’s now being threatened

posted at 6:41 pm on September 17, 2012 by Allahpundit

The key bit comes at the end. As you watch, bear in mind that Rushdie’s old tormentors in Iran announced just today that they’ll “search for, track, and pursue” the filmmaker. The only consolation here is my hunch that his old friend Hitchens would have recoiled at this sentiment, that a provocateur being hunted like a rat by the mob for his speech is somehow less objectionable than a capital-A Artist being hunted for his. But I don’t know anymore. Would Hitch have recoiled? This seemingly straightforward case of a man being placed in fear for his life for something he said seems to be a lot more nuanced for self-styled champions of free speech than I would have thought.

Rushdie also naturally mentions how awful the movie is, which is par for the course in any “thoughtful” public comment on it. Says Nick Gillespie:

Rushdie has said “The Innocence of Muslims” is an “idiotic…piece of garbage” but called the protests against it “an ugly reaction that needs to be named as such.”

I do not quite understand the need to pass aesthetic judgment on a work before making a free speech argument, but that seems to be a minority opinion. Does anyone else find it puzzling, though? It’s almost as if Theo van Gogh, murdered by an Islamist nut job in the streets of Amsterdam in 2004, would have deserved his stabbing death if the production values of “Submission” had been a bit lower.

Yeah, I don’t understand that either, but it makes perfect sense if you follow Rushdie’s two-tiered approach to sympathy for mob persecution aimed at low art vs. High Art. The film is cheesy and provocative, but so what? How is that germane, unless you agree with the original Cairo embassy statement in rejecting “the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others”? If hurting the religious beliefs of others is an “abuse” of free speech then let’s go the rest of the way and criminalize blasphemy, just like our “moderate” friend, the Islamist prime minister of Turkey, is now suggesting that we do. If anything, you’d think that a serious threat of violence against a speaker would get people to lay off criticizing his work for awhile lest anything they say be taken as encouragement by the mob. Instead, people are falling all over themselves to denounce his movie as some sort of atrocity. Including a guy who knows what it’s like to be hunted like a rat by lunatics.

At least his point about Islamist leaders exploiting grievances like this for political gain is accurate. If you’re wondering what that means for Egypt, this will get you started. Exit quotation from “liberal” Bill Press: “So, I think the United States ought to identify, yeah, we oughta be going after these terrorists that carried out the attacks in Libya and we are. I think we also ought to be identifying the people who made this video and go after them with the full force of the law and lock their ass up.”

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

no wonder the indian chick, on top chef, with the scar on her arm, gave him the heave-ho

renalin on September 17, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Interesting use of the Greek letter “mu” :)

spiritof61 on September 17, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Thank you.

Romney writing off 47% of Americans.

HotAirLib on September 17, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Heh he hurt your feeling eh mooch? You Parasites kill me. Like you were going to vote for him.

CW on September 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM

It’s ridiculous how quickly some people here to throw the guy under the bus because of a difference of opinions.

segasagez on September 17, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Its not a difference of opinion. He is backing the Muslims and their behavior in throwing the filmmaker under the bus.

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Yesterday, you were his biggest supporters. Now, “send him to Iran”. Talk about irrational…

segasagez on September 17, 2012 at 7:26 PM

The only thing I ever supported about Salman was his right to free speech in a free society. And Bill Maher’s, and the crazy Reverend’s, etc.

spiritof61 on September 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Get instant updates on #MuslimRage
**********************************

canopfor on September 17, 2012 at 7:31 PM

The million-dollar-Obama-donating makers of “Religulous”

Kataklysmic on September 17, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Fixed. Ironic, eh? Obama’s campaign is now running partly on money earned off a religiously offensive film.

29Victor on September 17, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Makes me sick to my stomach that I ever defended the guy’s right to free speech back in the day. F*ck you, Rushdie, you cowering, cowardly elitist piece of sh*t. Could not care less what happens to you. I think I’ll buy one of your books — for winter kindling.

Rational Thought on September 17, 2012 at 7:20 PM

It is a bizarre stance..’.my art is higher and therefore my free speech is more equal than yours’, and my right to go into hiding and be protected 24/24 more justified’…. This is kinda what he is saying, almost orwellan…..coming from Rushdie it is perplexing indeed…and I really like his fiction and style., read almost all of inis novels….huge dissappointment…

jimver on September 17, 2012 at 7:32 PM

OTTO on September 17, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Well darlin, I have to comment again in response. My old buddy, Bill the Cat would say, “Pfffht!” That eloquent feline would express perfectly my feelings about the current administration, and also my feelings about the way HA is trekking.

Chewy the Lab on September 17, 2012 at 7:32 PM

The only thing stopping me is I don’t want to actually PAY money for one, since I’m sure some jihad cash to terrorists organization is what makes money on the damn things… wildcat72 on September 17, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Uh, download it.

Akzed on September 17, 2012 at 7:33 PM

O/T-When will Allah do a post on the video everyone is talking about? The video of Romney writing off 47% of Americans.

HotAirLib on September 17, 2012 at 7:27 PM

tips@hotair.com

You’re welcome.

kim roy on September 17, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Meanwhile..back at the Ranch of the REAL…. Team Kick*ss’ers!

U.S., allies in Gulf naval exercise as Israel, Iran face off
Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:01pm EDT
***************************

canopfor on September 17, 2012 at 7:35 PM

HotAirLib on September 17, 2012 at 7:27 PM

HotAirLib:Ugh,is it the SuperDuper Secret Leaked Hidden Camera
China video!

canopfor on September 17, 2012 at 7:37 PM

HotAirLib on September 17, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Luckily many of those 47 don’t vote. They’re as dimwitted as you.

CW on September 17, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Chewy the Lab on September 17, 2012 at 7:32 PM

We have a cat named Moo.
He never has anything intellectual to say at all, but still better that listening to Nerobama.

OTTO on September 17, 2012 at 7:38 PM

America, I scarcely knew ya. Heard you were a heck of a country once upon a time; beacon of rights and justice and all that. Sounds like it used to be a nice place. Wonder what happened to it?

Midas on September 17, 2012 at 7:38 PM

What law is that?

Cindy Munford on September 17, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Maybe Rushdie resents, a little, competition with the worldwide concept that he is somehow a ‘starving artist’, a man beset by the Universe, circumstance, and a world who doesn’t ‘understand’ him; maybe he resents the loss of imagined and media-hyped ‘nobility’.

“…But I could have told you, Rushdie,
This world was never meant for one as beautiful as you.”

Liam on September 17, 2012 at 7:39 PM

HotAirLib on September 17, 2012 at 7:27 PM

He wrote them off as people who are going to vote for him, not citizens. Even looters can be citizens.

Cindy Munford on September 17, 2012 at 7:40 PM

HotAirLib on September 17, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Honestly, the intelligent citizens have written you liberals sh1twits off a long time ago, so… what’s to see? Seriously; are you as stupid as you continually sound, or is that an affectation to some end? Perhaps you’re actually fairly well educated, have critical thinking capabilities as well as a modest amount of reading comprehension, and yet for some reason portray yourself – and your cause, by extension – as utterly moronic and vacant.

Though I suspect the simpler answer – that you’re a brain-addled f@#$wit – I’m open to convincing otherwise. Pray – continue. If nothing else, it’s amusing. Kings of old didn’t have court jesters for nothing, you know.

Midas on September 17, 2012 at 7:42 PM

What law is that?

Cindy Munford on September 17, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I’m sure there’s a mandate ukase for that lying around somewhere.

OTTO on September 17, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Get instant updates on #MuslimRage
**********************************

canopfor on September 17, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Wait till Muslims see #MuslimRage. Guess what that will ignite.

spiritof61 on September 17, 2012 at 7:43 PM

HotAirLib on September 17, 2012 at 7:27 PM

HotAirLib:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH,the Mother Jones one,ya,I have
3 different video sources,but,you’ll have to pry
them,out of my cold dead hands,sorry,I got carried
away,with Charleton Hestons NRA Speechy thingy!

canopfor on September 17, 2012 at 7:43 PM

segasagez on September 17, 2012 at 7:26 PM

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM

This whole “enemy of my enemy is my friend” business has a person changing sides every week.

segasagez on September 17, 2012 at 7:43 PM

“sh1twits”
Midas on September 17, 2012 at 7:42 PM

If you don’t copyright on that, I’d like to use it!

Perfect…

Liam on September 17, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Hey, Bill, maybe Bush should have gone after Michael Isikoff, Evan Thomas, the management of Newsweek and its owners “with the full force of the law and lock(ed) their ass(es) up” when they published their “Look, Mum! Watch Us Fail ‘The Preschool Square Peg-Round Hole Logic Test!!!’”?

Don’t you think that CNN, MSNBC, et al., should have provided Iran, al Qaeda and the rest of the Islamic nutters all of the personal details about Isikoff, Thomas, the management of Newsweek and its owners, along with all of their family members?

Let me be clear, Useful Infidel, I hate you and your values.

“Fascism will return to the United States not as right wing ideology but almost as a quasi-leftist ideology.”

- Irving Louis Horowitz, radical Leftist sociology pioneer

Horowitz almost got it right. It has returned, but there is nothing “quasi” about it. It is hard leftist ideology.

Resist We Much on September 17, 2012 at 7:44 PM

HotAirLib on September 17, 2012 at 7:27 PM

The ones who don’t pay any Federal income taxes?

Resist We Much on September 17, 2012 at 7:46 PM

What could anyone write or film about `Mo that is worse than how the murdering pedophile lived his real life?

wildcat72 on September 17, 2012 at 7:48 PM

If you don’t copyright on that, I’d like to use it!

Perfect…

Liam on September 17, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Use it at will, my friend.

Midas on September 17, 2012 at 7:48 PM

But he’s not “backing” the Muslims.

segasagez on September 17, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Well I have no sympathy for Salman Rushdie. He wrote a book that offended Islam and he got the reaction that was to be expected when you do that. He got that reaction ‘in spades’.

Is that how it works?

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Another example of how liberals make up their own little worlds, and want to purge the real world of those who don’t fit into their pretend ones.

Akzed on September 17, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Use it at will, my friend.

Midas on September 17, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Thank you! I know a lot of people who will love using it.

Liam on September 17, 2012 at 7:50 PM

The core intent of “The Satanic Verses” is to undermine and essentially destroy the sacred claim and ultimate spiritual basis of Islam.

By sardonically pointing out that Mohammad admitted he was deceived once by Satan in his recitation of a part of the Koran… the so-called “Satanic Verses” that he later crossed out.

Rushdie’s fatally subversive point, to Islam, is that: IF Mohammad could be deceived once, why not twice? Or every time?

Once a prophet admits to have been deceived, how can you trust anything he says?

Rushdie made Mohammad into an untrustworthy b.s. peddler.

And Islam into a potential Devil’s brew of deception.

You can’t make any worse as case against the Koran, to Islam’s point of view, than Rushdie’s critique. That it is done as High Art only makes its level of attack that much more deadly to Islam.

Or has Rushdie forgotten that this was his intention- to undermine and destroy Islam?

profitsbeard on September 17, 2012 at 7:53 PM

This video was from 6 months ago. They released it now to divert attention from Obama’s failures in the middle east.

brewcrew67 on September 17, 2012 at 7:53 PM

canopfor on September 17, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Wait till Muslims see #MuslimRage. Guess what that will ignite.

spiritof61 on September 17, 2012 at 7:43 PM

spiritof61:

I will surmise,the Twits Twittering their Tweets,
er,the Islamic Goons will go after the Tweeters!—–:)

canopfor on September 17, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Hey, you know what would funny? If all of us, in protest, took cameras and made horrible films insulting Mohammed and posting them all on You Tube.

the new aesthetic on September 17, 2012 at 7:54 PM

In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful: I command you all to desist from blasphemy. Stop the mockery of Islam here and on #MuslimRage immediately or you shall surely taste the fire of Hell.

Islam is a religion of peace; I shall kill any man who denies this.

spiritof61 on September 17, 2012 at 7:57 PM

But he’s not “backing” the Muslims. He’s saying that reaction is ridiculous. At the same time, he’s saying that the movie is ridiculous. They aren’t mutually exclusive ideas. segasagez on September 17, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Burning embassies and killing an ambassador and other staff is not “ridiculous.”

And if it were, are you in favor of punishing the ridiculous with the same penalties that should be levied against murderers?

The Muslims are going after a video no one ever heard of until they and Obooba’s minions made it an issue. Do you think that this movie is their real and sole target?

Obooba and his coterie of Muslims and communists are endorsing the enemy’s propaganda. It’s like FDR saying, “If you think about it, Tojo has a point.”

Is this video the actual target, or is it really Sean Hannity, Robert Sp3ncer, Pam G3ller, etc?

Their tactic is an argument from strength. “Now that you have banned this video and locked up its producers, we’d like to talk about the much more serious threat to Muslim sensibilities, Robert Sp3ncer.”

Akzed on September 17, 2012 at 7:59 PM

profitsbeard on September 17, 2012 at 7:53 PM

In Christianity, for the liberals out there, Jesus resisted the temptations of the Devil.

A mere note of detail.

Liam on September 17, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I’ve been self hosting the video since the day this started.
sure, its a pile of crap. its just SO bad (producton, acting, etc) you have to laugh at it.
I don’t care.
this vet will do everything I can to make it so the person who made it is allowed to make and show it. to do any less is not an option for me.
its not only a free speech issue its also a freedom of religion issue, the full gamut of the First as far as I am concerned.
and since I started I get tons of intrusion attempts, so far been lucky. only ddos attempt was weak and was mitigated.

dmacleo on September 17, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Islam is a religion of peace; I shall kill any man who denies this.

spiritof61 on September 17, 2012 at 7:57 PM

heh heh…you slay me :)

dmacleo on September 17, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Is this video more of a threat to Muslims than this book?

I can assure you, it is the book.

Akzed on September 17, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Is this video more of a threat to Muslims than this book?

I can assure you, it is the book.

Akzed on September 17, 2012 at 8:03 PM

This is very much a good question.

There was no mention of islam by Emperor Heraculis of the Roman Empire, for example.

wildcat72 on September 17, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Free speech is to be defended. A particular speech, however, doesn’t have to be endorsed to be defended. This, I believe, is the dynamic between most people right now.

There are some that not only defend the right of a individual to make the movie, but the movie itself. Most others rational people respect the right of the person to make the movie, but can’t defend the movie at all.

Similarly, there are those that respect the right of an individual to burn the American flag, but don’t endorse burning American flags. Generally, when that conversation comes up every few years, most rational people say “I reject what their doing but I support their right to do it”.

It’s actually so common that I’m not sure why so many people are making a fuss about it now.

segasagez on September 17, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I am afraid you have made the wrong assumption about this site – subtle is a dirty word. You must either be a European (therefore already a slave of the mullahs))or a US “liberal” who wants to give the country over to the “ragheads”

callingallcomets on September 17, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I don’t think it’s too hard to understand his position. Look, he clearly says the reaction of the muslim world to the movie is unacceptable… and “ugly reaction that needs to be named as such.”

But he also thinks this guy is an idiot for making a piece of “garbage” meant to provoke a people known for liking to be provoked.

If some dude wacks a hornet’s next with a bat, would you “sympathize” with him after he’s stung a hundred times? No, you’d think he was dumb.

Tom_Shipley on September 17, 2012 at 8:26 PM

. <- A really compressed image of `Mo drowning in a pool of bacon grease.

wildcat72 on September 17, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I don’t have time to get synchronized with the drift of the recent comments … so I’ll get back to the subject/topic with this:
Mr. Rushdie, what is your estimate of funds spent to keep you alive over the last decade? How much do you contribute to your ‘personal defense’?
If you have no estimate and no expenditures might I interest you in a plane ticket to Tehran?

Missilengr on September 17, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Romney writing off 47% of Americans.

HotAirLib on September 17, 2012 at 7:27 PM

HotLips on our buttcheeks…you’ve missed saying the same thing… on a couple of threads…get back there and do your job. Repeat yourself. DAISY!

KOOLAID2 on September 17, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Tom_Shipley on September 17, 2012 at 8:26 PM

It would depend on the reason that the dude struck the hornet’s nest. There could conceivably be very sound reasons to strike it, and the dude’s endurance of the stings could be a badge of courage.

Rushdie, of all people, should be defending free speech equivocality.

WhatSlushfund on September 17, 2012 at 9:37 PM

*er, unequivocally*

WhatSlushfund on September 17, 2012 at 9:39 PM

“But I don’t know anymore. Would Hitch have recoiled?”

I can’t believe you feel the need to ask this. I’m certain he would have, and it would have been beautiful to behold.

holygoat on September 17, 2012 at 9:55 PM

What’s really sickening out of this whole ordeal is that the filmmaker was “taken for questioning”, which is the title that was given to the act of putting him in a police car against his will and taking him to a police station. So it’s not like he was “arrested” or anything…

If those idiotic violent mobs weren’t running berzerk in all those countries nobody would even care about this guy. And by the way, how was he even found?

As for the violent mobs, sadly, the fact that they happened is not surprising at all. In fact I think we’re all pretty cynical about it by now.

AlexB on September 17, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Salman never had The Great Satan haul him in because of his work. He’s just a jealous little whiner who lost his crown as Persecuted Artist #1. Serves him right.

Christien on September 17, 2012 at 11:31 PM

When Hitchens wrote “NO, NO, F*** YOU” on that poster in Beirut and was attacked by goons, it wasn’t high art or his best writing or brightest idea. Sure, he put his companions at risk. However, people roundly and rightly condemned his attackers.

Christien on September 17, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Tom_Shipley on September 17, 2012 at 8:26 PM

If the hornets were about to attack your child who was allergic to their sting, and this guy was drawing their attention away to save your kid, you might think differently.

Which is the the film’s central conceit -of mocking Mohammad and Islam.

Islam is a nest of deadly buggers and it needs to be whacked with the bat of satire so that it reveals its true nature and lets people see its seething danger.

Read the Koran, a playbook of unceasing intolerant, militant, imperialistic theocratic terrorism, and weep.

Or laugh.

profitsbeard on September 17, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Tom_Shipley on September 17, 2012 at 8:26 PM

That is entirely comprehensible, but also very problematic.

Provocation definitely in the mind of the recipient, but not necessarily in the mind of the initiator. In other words a person can feel provoked even when no provocation was intended. If western justice is to be defined by Islamic sensibilities — people who are actively seeking reasons to be offended — then there will be no justice at all.

When you are dealing with somebody who is only willing to tolerate your saying the things they approve of (i.e. somebody who is not tolerant at all) then it is impossible to avoid being provocative unless you say nothing at all.

The Muslims are not merely passively offended, they are actively seeking excuses to be offended. They are using “free speech” only as a tactic to deny you your free speech. Any attempt to accommodate them plays directly to their goal of silencing you.

Furthermore, the man who provokes deliberately provokes them is effectively sounding an alarm and opening opportunities for debate, so that even a few liberals and appeasers might begin to understand that if they surrender for the sake of some badly-made film that nobody cares to watch, they will be challenged again tomorrow about something else. Provocation is not always a bad thing, sometimes it is necessary.

YiZhangZhe on September 18, 2012 at 6:20 AM

Officially, there are only three responses that need to be given to the Muslims:

1. If you don’t like what is on YouTube, don’t use YouTube. If you don’t like our books, don’t read them.
2. You claim to be peaceful, so act peacefully. If you are not peaceful then you prove yourselves to be liars … lying about your ‘religion’, and we will treat you as dishonourable and untrustworthy.
3. If you attack us for the sake of your ‘religion’, we are going to desecrate and obliterate your mosques, your korans, your so-called holy places and, if necessary, your bodies, and keep on doing so until we are satisfied that you are no longer even so much as a whisper of an inconvenience.

Unofficially, the world needs to give the Muslims another two-fingered salute along the lines of the UK “we are not afraid” campaign following the 2005 transport attacks.

YiZhangZhe on September 18, 2012 at 6:32 AM

I read “Satanic Verses”.
Rushdie is to the movie maker what the pot is to the kettle.

Dexter_Alarius on September 18, 2012 at 8:04 AM

He’s right, this pastor wanted attention now he’s got it.
HOWEVER, the feds questioning him about his 1st amndmnt right is EVEN more CHILLING and should have US protesting here in the USA.
We are in very strange times.

mmcnamer1 on September 18, 2012 at 8:18 AM

If those third world, 16th century, morons end up killing somebody for exercising free speech, these liberals and CNN should be indicted of co-conspiracy to commit murder.

Free speech is only for liberals, as we all know. Accordingly, it’s not hate speech unless Republicans say it. Corollary…. it’s only voter fraud if Republicans do it.

ultracon on September 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM

and all Matt Lauer (a journalist?) can say is “an interesting perspective.”

metrygirl on September 18, 2012 at 12:13 PM

If Salman Rushdie thinks that feeding the crocodile will help his situation, he knows nothing of history.

kozmocostello on September 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Okay Muslims. . . . no more food. Get your groceries from the Chicoms and Soviets. Then you’ll see how intolerance is dealt with.

kens on September 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM

When you’ve been on the run as long as Rushdie has, your brain becomes addled. It turns to custard.

Catahoula on September 18, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Rushdie proclaims: free speech for me but not for thee. What a hump.

potvin on September 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM

SCrew Rushdie… he was recently banned from participating in the Jaipur Literary festival in India after a bunch of Muslim organizations threatened the organizers with..ahem.. consequences if he was allowed.

To weasel their way out, the organizers tried to have him participate via video conferencing – that failed as well as the Muslim organizations once again threatened these weasels with more dire consequences.The dhimmis of course surrendered very quickly to islamists and rushdie was completely frozen out.

I felt sad for him then – but after seeing such cowardice from Rushdie , i feel he richly deserves the condemnation that he will get for the Satanic verses no matter how many times he apologizes to the islamic world.

nagee76 on September 19, 2012 at 1:58 AM

kozmocostello on September 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM
He actually tried that once already – he “sincerely” apologized to the islamists for offending them – guess what ? they threw his apology to the trash bin and started hunting him even more.

He later on admitted it was a mistake for him to have apologized and it only made his situation worse. But hey, with the Iranians upping the ante’ once again he may have wanted to get in their good graces once again

May be Rushdie can release a YouTube video condemning Sam Bacile, and offer to help the Islamists hunt Bacile down getting his normal life back in return – how is that for a coward’s quid pro quo deal ?

nagee76 on September 19, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Like it or not, the fanatics will not distinguish a difference between Rusdie’s writing or that of the Mohammed film that is drawing their current rage, despite his protests to the contrary. What a foolish man.

zoyclem on September 19, 2012 at 11:50 AM