Romney: Obama’s 47% of the electorate is dependent on government

posted at 7:34 pm on September 17, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Mother Jones and Ace, watch this now if you haven’t seen it elsewhere because political media will be having 20 heart attacks about it tomorrow and you’ll want to be up to speed. This was recorded awhile back at a fundraiser, just like Obama’s infamous “bitter/clinger” comments in 2008. Remember how big that blew up? That’s how we ended up with President McCain.

The dirty little secret of most “controversial” political statements is that voters pay them little mind, especially when they’re preoccupied with bread-and-butter issues. The GOP spent three days in Tampa hammering Obama for the “you didn’t build that” line and a fat lot of good it did them in vaulting Romney past O in the polls. Then again, the GOP didn’t have a media megaphone like the one that’s going to be amplifying this for the rest of the week. The money quote:

“There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what…

“And I mean the president starts off with 48, 49 … he starts off with a huge number. These are people who pay no income tax. Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax. So our message of low taxes doesn’t connect. So he’ll be out there talking about tax cuts for the rich. I mean that’s what they sell every four years. And so my job is not to worry about those people. I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives. What I have to convince the five to ten percent in the center that are independents that are thoughtful, that look at voting one way or the other depending upon in some cases emotion, whether they like the guy or not.”

Certainly, the Obama campaign’s never done anything to tout the sort of cradle-to-grave dependency that Romney describes here. I think David French’s recent post about the “bookends” that compose the modern liberal coalition is closer to the mark than Romney’s familiar makers-and-takers formulation here, but he was at a fundraiser and tossing red meat and I guess wanted it to be as red as possible. As for his claim that 47 percent pay no income tax, it’s true but carries lots of caveats. Ramesh Ponnuru wrote an insightful piece about last year; this new article from National Journal is worth reading too. Two political difficulties here. One: While some Obama supporters may not pay federal income tax, they still pay federal payroll tax and may well pay state and city taxes. They do contribute something to government. Two: A lot of pro-Republican working-class voters pay no income tax due to the Earned Income Tax Credit, and a lot of pro-Republican seniors pay no income tax because most or all of their income is Social Security. Not sure how either of those groups will react to Romney’s critique of O’s fans, but my hunch is that Ben Domenech’s right in believing that no one really thinks they’re part of the 47 percent. Everyone thinks they’re a “maker,” not a “taker,” due to whatever little tax they pay, so when Mitt lays into freeloaders, even people who pay no income tax think he’s talking about someone else. It’s sort of the flip side of senior citizens saying that America needs small government while telling politicians “Hands off my Medicare.” I doubt it’ll end up hurting Romney badly, but the media will do its level best. Buckle up!

That’s the first video. The second video is of Romney joking that he’d have a better chance at being elected if he was Latino, which is almost certainly true.

Update: Damage control from Romney’s campaign:

Mitt Romney wants to help all Americans struggling in the Obama economy. As the governor has made clear all year, he is concerned about the growing number of people who are dependent on the federal government, including the record number of people who are on food stamps, nearly one in six Americans in poverty, and the 23 million Americans who are struggling to find work. Mitt Romney’s plan creates 12 million new jobs in four years, grows the economy and moves Americans off of government dependency and into jobs.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 11 12 13 14

I mean This is a problem only for the 47% of OBAMA voters when the other 53% who DO pay income tax find out about it.

MaggiePoo on September 18, 2012 at 6:43 AM

Finally … Mitt goes on offense!

This Bob Marley lyric always struck me as one that democrat party sheep should take to heart.

“Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery
None but ourselves can free our minds.
” Bob Marley

kregg on September 18, 2012 at 6:46 AM

MaggiePoo on September 18, 2012 at 6:43 AM

u made my day

gracie on September 18, 2012 at 6:46 AM

Hey this is class warfare. Republicans aren’t supposed to shoot back.

-Loons

Ted Torgerson on September 18, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Romney just won the election.

WordsMatter on September 18, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Romney just won the election.

WordsMatter on September 18, 2012 at 7:12 AM

I don’t know. I have an independent friend, a suburban wife and mother, who’s trying to determine who to vote for. I think this will swing her solidly Obama, once the media spins and spins and spins it for her.

Grace_is_sufficient on September 18, 2012 at 7:16 AM

I just watched the tap on the Today show, what Gaffe, he laid out poll-sci 101. 47% are the Obama base who want free stuff. The rest are with him or need to be persuaded.

rob verdi on September 18, 2012 at 7:16 AM

MaggiePoo on September 18, 2012 at 6:43 AM

+4, Maggie…

Oh, and to the Romney campaign: “It’s the Economy, Stupid” banner needs to be hung in every Republican office and bus.

Of course, “Obama is the quintessential SCoaMF” comes in a close second.

And then “Obama lied ; people died” seems appropriate these days as well.

ProfShadow on September 18, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Oh no! Romney blew it! People that weren’t going to vote for him anyway will now not vote for him. He might as well call it quits.

iceman1960 on September 18, 2012 at 7:18 AM

After second sip of coffee, the following occurs. (I may need more coffee…)

It seems that it could be spun that being one of the “47%” is a bad thing and that no thinking person would ever want to be there. But unfortunately, Obama’s economic policies have put so many into that 47% …

SO voting for Romney will help you get out of the 47% as he’ll bring back an economy that will need people to participate and belong. To help rebuild America..etc, etc, etc.

Like I said…still working on that first cup

ProfShadow on September 18, 2012 at 7:21 AM

Romney had the right instincts during the embassy attacks, but then shut down immediately after the media criticism. I suspect he may do the same, now. His statement tonight was fine, but he hasn’t shown the courage to withstand sustained fire.

Developing a flinch is easy. Getting rid of one is hard.

The Resolute Desk on September 18, 2012 at 1:56 AM

This post highlights the difficult place Rimney resides.

While his Middle East comments were all the rage on HA, for the avg voter, not so much… 26% approved, 23% of independents.

The primary’s are over, at some point you have to campaign to win the general. Neither this video or the Middle East comments advanced that cause.

NextGen on September 18, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Now Mitt, Identify who the real enemies or targets of Barack Obama, Suburbia. You know, the people that are running away from inner city America trying to stay away from the welfare state.

jjnco73 on September 18, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Oops Romney…

NextGen on September 18, 2012 at 7:31 AM

+4, Maggie…

Of course, “Obama is the quintessential SCoaMF” comes in a close second.

And then “Obama lied ; people died” seems appropriate these days as well.

ProfShadow on September 18, 2012 at 7:17 AM

We’re not stupid, it’s the economy.

Obama provided more protection for Valerie Jarret than Ambassador Stevens, with predicable results.

Basilsbest on September 18, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Romney can win if he focus’ on bringing back industrial / manufacturing to the US and the high paying private sector jobs that would come with it. I appreciate his honesty and candor in these videos.

Darvin Dowdy on September 18, 2012 at 7:34 AM

This goes along with that mindset that has the overwhelming majority of Americans saying they are in the ‘middle class’, even when they are rich or poor.

The remark doesn’t hurt because of this effect and people with an entitlement mentality who believe they are due their entitlements will actually vote for someone who wishes to take entitlements away when it is posed as a makers/takers paradigm. No one likes to believe of themselves that they are part of the ‘takers’, and that they are just ‘middle class’.

A good follow-up is support of charity and saying that for every other tax loophole that gets closed the charity one will be opened to 100% for all donations given to charitable organizations that seek to shelter the homeless, feed the destitute, care for the sick and elderly and otherwise do the job of government better than government can EVER do it… and then those programs and departments get cut as Americans take over their functions. Put the positive back-up to the makers/takers paradigm that shows that making a good society is fulfilling and that government can never fill that hole and it begins a positive feedback cycle. Only the power hungry will decry this… and, really, we need to find out who in our society is just out for power over others so as to start shutting off their means of getting it as it is impoverishing all of America no end.

ajacksonian on September 18, 2012 at 7:35 AM

he I saw all the videos, there is one he says he says “yes, I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth” and another where he says, “ann must be used sparingly to avoid ppl getting tired of her”.

none of this are mortal blows, but it will be another distraction and news cycle lost. and a few more “montegomery burns” impressions that will be hard and costly to shake.

nathor on September 18, 2012 at 7:36 AM

The real downside on this is the timing.

The collective media morning scum , while running their victory lap are saying….

What embassy? What Ambassador?

They don’t have to work very hard to bury the stories that show their naked foreign policy President is an incompetent fraud.

FlaMurph on September 18, 2012 at 7:40 AM

You know what they say, sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good. Obama is the luckiest person in the history of the world.

HarryBackside on September 18, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Gotta love the timing of the release of this clip. I guess the blame for the lack of any foreign policy and the embassy attacks, that along with record gas prices was getting too much attention so a distraction was needed. It gives the MSM something to talk about besides dead Americans.

bsinc1962 on September 18, 2012 at 7:43 AM

but did he say that half of Americans are parasites? did he argue that it’s not his job to care about them? did he call half of Americans entitled victims? help me refresh my memory, because i’ve never heard a politician self-destruct this way.

sesquipedalian on September 18, 2012 at 12:27 AM

1. He did not call the 47% of Obama voters parasites, even if it is true.

2. He did not say it’s not his job to care for them. He said he would never get their vote.

3. Half of Americans ARE entitled victims.

4. Everything he said is true.

5. As usual, you are an idiot. Every time I see one of your posts I am reminded of the Monty Python skit. Yes, it is/No it isn’t/Yes it is/No it isn’t/Yes it is/No it isn’t/Prove it/That’s irrelevant…

Tenwheeler on September 18, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Well, it’s US against obama’s 47% – WE CAN DO THIS!

Pork-Chop on September 18, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Its interesting…that 47%? They live in red states…..

libfreeordie on September 18, 2012 at 7:52 AM

The problem with this video isn’t the message. I agree that the folks who don’t pay taxes probably weren’t voting for Romney, but when you look at voter participation, how many of those 47% even vote? What ever the percentage, expect that number to be bigger because of these comments.

HarryBackside on September 18, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Romney should speak out more like that. Reagan ran on a platform “Sending them welfare bums back to work” and won the election.

jaboba on September 18, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Its interesting…that 47%? They live in red states…..

libfreeordie on September 18, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Many may live in Republican states but the vast majority of them vote democrats…

mnjg on September 18, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Romney: The Vetting

verbaluce on September 18, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on September 18, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Sounds like your friend cannot think for herself. It’s too bad she’s such an indecisive moron. She’s certainly got enough information if she cared to open her eyes to tell her every reason why Obama is toxic.
I know people like this. I have a friend like this myself.
I pity these people. And sometimes my friend who is like this hears about how stupid I think she is.

Badger40 on September 18, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Politifact and Fact Check found that Romney’s statements are 100% true. Still, he’s a lousy candidate on a ticket that would look much better flipped around.

I’m probably going to vote for Gary Johnson, because I’m one of those 2% who knows neither party gives a sh!t about anything except staying in power and balming the other side when things go wrong. Any talk about decreasing the size of government (from a D or an R) is just so much bluster.

RayinVA on September 18, 2012 at 8:06 AM

HarryBackside on September 18, 2012 at 7:41 AM

That’s how he ended up winning in the first place! You are right tho… Some members of my family even think he got some black magic done for him in Kenya…. Hmmm

Well, it’s US against obama’s 47% – WE CAN DO THIS!
Pork-Chop on September 18, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Seriously, leave the division, you against us mentality to OWS. You are sounding hateful and idiotic just like them.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 18, 2012 at 8:07 AM

HarryBackside on September 18, 2012 at 7:58 AM

And expect more of the 53% who pay taxes to go and vote… You see, this is now an ideological battle between the PRODUCERS and the PARASITES…

Also the irony of all this is that a good portion of the 47% think that they are indeed part of the 53% who pay taxes and they agree with Romney…

mnjg on September 18, 2012 at 8:08 AM

I checked out the Huffingtopost this morning and the 47% army is on fire. Worth the visit, as good as a cup of coffee.

mixplix on September 18, 2012 at 8:08 AM

sesquipedalian on September 18, 2012 at 12:27 AM

1. He did not call the 47% of Obama voters parasites, even if it is true.

3. Half of Americans ARE entitled victims.

4. Everything he said is true.

Tenwheeler on September 18, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Good try Tenwheeler.
This person is one of the people who have their head up so far up the a$$ of socialism they never care to see the light of day.
The only people besides this group who vote democrat are people who have been misled. And those people are usually very weak minded & believe any flim flam man & snake oil salesman that were to come around.
The human race is full of sheep. It’s up to the leaders amongst us to grab our collective nutsacks & decide to steer America back in the right direction.
But easy living & good times have made most of those people soft & compliant.
Orwell’s 1984 is so haunting.

Badger40 on September 18, 2012 at 8:09 AM

I know people like this. I have a friend like this myself.

Badger40 on September 18, 2012 at 8:05 AM

She can think for herself, but she’s very busy and gets her news from soundbites, like most of the American public. Not many are nuts for politics like we are.

You can call them indecisive and moronic all day long; they’re the very people Romney has to work to earn. This didn’t help him, and the lapdog media will make hay out of it for longer than anyone should. That’s all I’m saying.

Grace_is_sufficient on September 18, 2012 at 8:11 AM

RayinVA on September 18, 2012 at 8:06 AM

You’re right. It’s much better to secure another Obama win so that this country will be completely irrevocably ruined out of spite.
Let’s rise from the ashes like a phoenix!
Of course, this will be after probably 100 more years of ruination, more despotic socialism, bankruptcy & total chaos.
But what a gift for the grandkids!

Badger40 on September 18, 2012 at 8:12 AM

This is a winner for Romney. I predict the media will cover this for a day until Obama campaign tells them to move on to shiny objects. This is the last thing Obama wants to talk about right now. Romney campaign should hammer away at failed Obama economy in every interview. By the way, its not just hte economy that is in shambles, the middle east is still on fire and Obama is hanging with celebrities today.

Ellis on September 18, 2012 at 8:14 AM

IMHO — as an independent on the fence ( of voting for Paul Ryan or not voting at all) —
I think Romney should stand by the statement and MOVE ON!

You gotta think about how this plays in congressional races too people. I can imagine Warren beating Brown over the head with this if the party decides to go out there and talk about this like so many of you are suggesting. You don’t think Romney can be the messenger of higher taxes on the welfare kings anqueendom alone do you? It would have to be done by surrogates and in campaign rallies. Good luck with that…. Obama lost PA by 10 points because of the bitter-clinger comment. Romney can’t afford that.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 18, 2012 at 8:14 AM

mnjg on September 18, 2012 at 8:08 AM

But the thing is, not all of that ’53%’ share your cranky b.s. view of things.
And many of them have 53% of a brain and know that the 47% aren’t ‘parasites’.
Seniors, Vets, working (hard) families, etc.
The kind of folks you’d see in a Romney ad.

verbaluce on September 18, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on September 18, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I don’t think you understand what thinking for yourself means.
It means not believing soundbites.
You don’t have to be a political nut to gather some coherent information if you are truly ignorant on this subject.
In all actuality, anyone with decent mental faculties can judge a man like Obama after almost 4 years of chaos like we’ve had.
Your friend, IMO, IS incapable of truly thinking for herself.
Bcs if she was, like I said, being busy wouldn’t stop her from understanding that SOCIALISM is a bad thing.
Independents are fence sitters. And if they are so damned offended by this type of talk, then they are nothing but socialists. They may not realize it, but deep down, they want Govt to take care of them.
That is who your friend is Grace.

Badger40 on September 18, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Meanwhile, the man who IS president says the following:

“While Michelle and the two girls go play tennis on Saturday afternoons, I go in the Oval Office, pretend I’m going to work, and then I switch on ‘Homeland.’”

For some reason, the ‘Today’ show missed that story in their lead this morning.

Carnac on September 18, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Those 53% traditionally turn out in pretty big numbers, and were already fired up. Those in the lower income brackets have the lowest turn out. Obama has a bigger untapped voter pool to draw from, and this is the time of comment that can do that for him.

HarryBackside on September 18, 2012 at 8:17 AM

What about “Julia”?

I don’t see a gaffe here. In fact, I don’t think Romney’s comments on the London Olympics were a gaffe either. The Dems are desparate and they are projecting in high gear.

the_souse on September 18, 2012 at 8:18 AM

It’s amusing that our liberal trolls are “offended” at Romney’s comments when they regularly make the same argument. Aren’t we constantly told that conservatives/GOP are a bunch of immoral meanies who want to take away the “helping hand” of government and that liberals want to give them even more redistributed from the “rich”?
We hear this argument day in and day out from liberals. Romney’s comments are basically re-iterating this from the other side: it’s hard to get votes from people who have become dependent on government when you are running on reducing the role of government in peoples lives.

Romney also talks about people having a victim and entitlement mentality. Do our local liberal trolls really want to argue that these attitudes are not explicitly encouraged by the Democrat party? Social Justice! (entitlement mentality). You are being oppressed by the 1% (victim mentality). The Democrat convention was one long parade of victimhood (“The Catholic church doesn’t want to buy me birth control, waaaaah!”) and promise after promise to expand the entitlement state.

The truth is that Romney just laid out what liberals offer people and revealed it for how ugly it really is.

gwelf on September 18, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Let’s rise from the ashes like a phoenix!
But what a gift for the grandkids!

Badger40 on September 18, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Like Romney’s going to be any better.

You’re deceived, along with the 98%.

RayinVA on September 18, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Ellis on September 18, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Sure. Didn’t you guys predict that unemployment would automatically cost O the elections and that this was Romneys to lose? You are as much of a genius as Romneys advisers.

Carry on…

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 18, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Heh, sometimes the truth hurts.

Double down on it Mitt. Take it on offense.

petefrt on September 18, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Obama’s economy is so bad Jimmy Carter’s grandson can’t find work.

monalisa on September 18, 2012 at 8:22 AM

HarryBackside on September 18, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Those who stayed home in 2008 and did not vote for Obama are not going to come out in 2012 and vote for him, it is that simple… Also as I said before many of the 47% who do not pay taxes really believe that they are part of the 53% who pay taxes and they totally agree with Romney…

mnjg on September 18, 2012 at 8:23 AM

and Mr. Obama’s campaign accused Mr. Romney of having “disdainfully written off half the nation.”

Oh the irony! Mr. Obama made the OTHER half his enemy the day he became the actual president!

texgal on September 18, 2012 at 8:24 AM

The reason America is in the bad placer that she is is bcs people don’t know their history.
They have become too busy to know it.
They actually think social programs administered by a govt entity are good things.
They actually think that govt can be trusted.
They actually think Social Security is something that is owed them bcs they paid into it all these years, even though it’s a tax & they have no right to that value they paid.
They like getting something for nothing. A lot of us do.
How many people would turn down ‘free’ govt $$?
After accepting disaster aid ion the past,we have turned down more disaster aid bcs during our weak moment, we became wh0res for Federal Govt money.
And have watched their insidious efforts to control us for taking some hay disaster relief money unfold over the years afterword.
People also do not understand the founding documents & they do not understand that the STATES are sovereign entities.
They let the soundbites & the newsmen think for them.
They are wowed by pretty lights & fancy speeches.
They vote in hucksters on both the Left & Right.
Americans are WEAK & have pi$$ed away the gift of Liberty that our founders fought so hard for.

Badger40 on September 18, 2012 at 8:24 AM

The problem with this video is the position is so stupid. Obama’s strength isn’t even in the states with the so called 47%. Obama does awful in those states. While the folks in question don’t realize he’s talking about them (lucky for Romney) as a factual matter “taker” states are strongly +R.

So the idea the 47% is somehow propelling Obama to victory is actually silly.

NextGen on September 18, 2012 at 8:26 AM

But the thing is, not all of that ’53%’ share your cranky b.s. view of things.
And many of them have 53% of a brain and know that the 47% aren’t ‘parasites’.
Seniors, Vets, working (hard) families, etc.
The kind of folks you’d see in a Romney ad.

verbaluce on September 18, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Did Romney call them parasites? No he didn’t. He talked about people with a victimhood and entitlement attitude. You can’t deny that this is wide spread. And sure, it includes seniors and lots of people who don’t consider themselves one of the dependents but we’ve run out of money, we’re 16 trillion in debt with over 100 trillion in unfunded liabilities. The truth is that our entitlement state is bankrupt but people won’t admit it. The Democrat party denies we’re in any trouble and actively campaigns on keeping the gravy flowing even though it’s completely unsustainable. Large swaths of Americans have – whether consciously or not – become dependents on the state in their attitudes and lifestyle and the day will come when the government won’t be able to provide them “benefits”.

The Democrats explicitly campaign on this principle. Paul Ryan has a modest budget proposal that doesn’t even balance the budget in a decade and modestly slows the growth in government spending and restructures medicare to be more sustainable yet liberals demagogue him as taking away peoples entitlements. Liberals know that large numbers of people are dependent on the state and they regularly scare these people into voting for them. Liberals regularly push policies which create more dependency.

It’s ridiculous for you to get your panties in a twist just because Romney points this out.

gwelf on September 18, 2012 at 8:26 AM

But the thing is, not all of that ’53%’ share your cranky b.s. view of things.
And many of them have 53% of a brain and know that the 47% aren’t ‘parasites’.
Seniors, Vets, working (hard) families, etc.
The kind of folks you’d see in a Romney ad.

verbaluce on September 18, 2012 at 8:15 AM

The seniors and vets are not part of the 47% because they paid or pay taxes… As I said before the irony here is that many of the 47% really believe that they are part of the 53% who pay taxes and they totally agree with Romney…

mnjg on September 18, 2012 at 8:26 AM

What has changed canibeinthe middle? This is Romney’s to lose and unemployment does hurt Obama, and the economy is getting worse. Romney will win in a landslide barring some unforseen event like a total economic turn around. I am not a genius but I appreciate the compliment. Carry on.

Ellis on September 18, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Obama’s economy is so bad Jimmy Carter’s grandson can’t find work.

monalisa on September 18, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Really liking that one! It would be hilarious if Romney snuck that in today.

Carnac on September 18, 2012 at 8:29 AM

1. Romney should point out now twice in a week that he’s been president — answering questions — with the Empty Chair AWOL.

2. Innoculate against Dem smear that the 47% includes SS recipients

3. Moneybomb – everyone participate with $5, $10 donations so that the nervous nellies in the GOP don’t force Mitt to apologize.

We can make lemonade from this lemon.

matthew8787 on September 18, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Like Romney’s going to be any better.

You’re deceived, along with the 98%.

RayinVA on September 18, 2012 at 8:19 AM

He will be better than OBama. And if you don’t understand that then you’ve sunk so far into despair you are no good for anybody at all.
You see, despite whatever you’d like to say about Romney the RINO, he is actually a good man, has a good moral background, loves his wife & has wonderful family values.
He works with what he has & from what I’ve seen, is trying to do his best for this country. I don’t agree with everything he’s done. But it’s clear he loves America. And whatever he does will be 10 times better or more than anything Obama has done or will do.
I am not deceived. I’m being realistic. I think until the American ship of Liberty has totally sunk, there is still always a chance of patching her up. And Gary Johnson has no chance in hell of winning anything & you know it. It’s like betting all of your money on a horse with a broken leg in a race. You know it won’t win.
You pessimistic sacks of Libertarian crap have gone nutbag on the right & you are willing to give up like whining babies to vote for 4 more years of Obama.
I’ve had to work with people like you. They won’t compromise & in the end, they throw up their hands & take their ball & go home when they can’t get everything their way.
I’ve learned a lot in my time about working with people.
Unfortunately, you;ve got to compromise. It’s called LIFE.
You are unsuited to reality. And as a result, there may be enough of you to drag down Liberty & make her drown on purpose.

Badger40 on September 18, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Romney: The Vetting

verbaluce on September 18, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Which Obama did not get…unfortunately.

kingsjester on September 18, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Democrat Convention: Vote for us because we will give you free stuff!

Romney months ago: There is a large portion of the population which won’t vote for me because they like getting free stuff from the government

Liberals today: How dare Romney say that people like getting free stuff from the government and it affects who they vote for!

gwelf on September 18, 2012 at 8:37 AM

RayinVA on September 18, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Any vote for Johnson is a vote for Obama. If you think you’ll have the luxury of voting for a conservative in 2016, you are dreaming because our slide to socialism at that point will be nearly concluded.

When the fiscal debt crash occurs, people won’t recoil from government; tragically, they’ll demand more from government with unctuous politicians guaranteeing them more security in exchange for their “shared sacrifice.” And in a time of crisis, it will succeed.

It’s now or never to stop the avalanche.

matthew8787 on September 18, 2012 at 8:37 AM

gwelf on September 18, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I agree with all you’ve said in your last 2 posts. Probably more.
IT’s an ugly truth. People often like to hide from these things.
But things are really bad now for many Americans, like before Reagan. So will we embrace the truth?
The people who get outraged about this type of stuff are people who vote socialist anyway.
The people who agree with this stuff either vote, or if they haven’t been, would be fired up enough to go out & vote for him.
I was one of those people.
Those of us who are not socialists do not like our fellow citizens who life off the dole. We don’t like illegal aliens coming & taking from us & being here against the law.
Etc.
We are also very patriotic. Obama is the antithesis of all of these things. And most people I am betting who don’t vote actually despise Obama.
I tell you if you are offended by this truth, then you just might be one of those entitlement b!tche$ Romney was talking about.

Badger40 on September 18, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I think this is a brilliant strategy! Now, the Teacher Union strike in Chicago, OWS, and every municipality filing bankruptcy because of the welfare state, front and center. Obama? Are you really going to target the middle class in suburbia to pay for Government greed and slackers? Cheer up guys, finally Romneys fighting back!

jjnco73 on September 18, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Personally I think this will backfire on the Democrats. This puts the focus on the exponential growth of government entitlements and the potential calamity this poses for America. Up till now the clash between left and right has been muted–and dealt with the usual numbers–the number of jobs lost, the slow growth of the economy. This kind of blowup clarifies why this election is the most important in our lifetime. It’s an election that will tell us what kind of America we’ll live in for the next hundred years. So Romney gets a pass on this. Most Americans get what he means and resent the system that fosters such dependence at the cost of freedom and prosperity. It’s what this election is all about in a nutshell and in the course of explaining himself Romney makes the high stakes clearer and clearer for all of us.

writeblock on September 18, 2012 at 8:43 AM

That is who your friend is Grace.

Badger40 on September 18, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Have you ever tried to talk to your Independent friends about, say, Jeremiah Wright, “bitter clingers”, stuff like that? I did, and she had a hard time believing me. People like her do not read Hot Air or Huffington Post. They read NBC, CBS and ABC. And guess what they get there?

You can judge her ’til the cows come home, it’s not going to change the fact that Romney just lost her and millions like her. Here’s the problem. She gets that the economy is in the toilet, but Romney hasn’t offered her a viable alternative. He hasn’t closed the sale.

There’s still time, but I’m losing hope every day.

Grace_is_sufficient on September 18, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on September 18, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Well then, if she does vote for Obama because of the media spin on this she’s not an Independant but is just plain stupid.

Cherokee on September 18, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Speaking of comrpomising & not liking it.
That’s exactly what Thomas Jefferson, & other founders did regarding the slavery issue & the founding documents.
There are MANY who had wanted to free blacks.
There were too many staunch slave owning southerners that didn’t want that & unfrotunately htey were in the majority.
Jefferson fought the good fight. But in the end he knew he’d never win that fight.
But he did help win the one fight. That eventually allowed for them to be free.
It was long & bloody. But this is what happens when humans work together for a cause.
You get some of what you want but never all of it & often there are things remaining that really bother a person.
You don’t throw out the baby with the bath water & vote for fantasy.
At some point you have to do that dirty work called compromise.
And no I don’t like it either.

Badger40 on September 18, 2012 at 8:47 AM

So the idea the 47% is somehow propelling Obama to victory is actually silly.

NextGen on September 18, 2012 at 8:26 AM

So now the Atlantic sets the Dem talking points? You’re in trouble. LOL

But what Graham and you don’t get is thet Romney already has those votes in those states and that the people in those states who don’t pay income tax are mostly seniors who believe they aren’t part of the 47% because they already paid taxes.

People can’t seem to get it through their heads that only the generational people on welfare or far Left loons like the OWS will think they are part of the 47%. By you and Graham attempting to point out otherwise you are actually helping Romney because people will be insulted that you place them in that category.

It is what it is, and people believe what they believe. Haven’t you figured that out yet? After all Obama got elected based on that fact. This is not going to help Obama and won’t hurt Romney. The more you try the more people hear or read that that you are the ones classify ing them. LOL

Deanna on September 18, 2012 at 8:49 AM

There’s still time, but I’m losing hope every day.

Grace_is_sufficient on September 18, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Yes I have. So what you’re saying is that she doesn’t trust you or much of what you say & is unwilling to go & verify what you say by herself.
And Romney is a viable alternative bcs of his business sense & success.
I have friends like you are describing Grace. We are not super close friends bcs I find it hard to respect a person who is like this.

Cherokee on September 18, 2012 at 8:44 AM

This is the deal Grace.
Your friend, like the ones I have who act like this, are just plain effing stupid.
And I do agree nothing will change that.
Bcs ignorance one can fix. A reasonable person will see reason.
But you cannot fix stupid.

Badger40 on September 18, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Obama’s economy is so bad Jimmy Carter’s grandson can’t find work.

monalisa on September 18, 2012 at 8:22 AM

From your keyboard to Romney’s ears.

petefrt on September 18, 2012 at 8:53 AM

gwelf on September 18, 2012 at 8:18 AM

A+

Del Dolemonte on September 18, 2012 at 8:53 AM

David Brooks thought the comments were great #winning

NextGen on September 18, 2012 at 8:49 AM

I guess Romney will have to make sure his pant crease is extra sharp to win back Brooks.

gwelf on September 18, 2012 at 8:56 AM

There’s still time, but I’m losing hope every day.

Grace_is_sufficient on September 18, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Maybe you’re pointing out the wrong things to her. Ask her why she’s on the fence and not supporting Obama whole-heartedly. What are her doubts?

Today the simple question is, did Obama do a good job or did he make things worse? Focus on the unemployment and housing and prices of everything. Say that Obama just seems unable to do anything about it even though he promised he would. That maybe he’s gotten bad advice and is in over his head. Why not give someone new a chance? If this doesn’t work then she isn’t really on the fence.

Deanna on September 18, 2012 at 8:57 AM

And Grace, you can do what I do when I have a person that doesn’t believe any of the facts I talk about regarding these socialists.
I point them in the direction of facts.
I give them links & places to go to read & see this stuff for themselves.
If they are truly interested, they will check it out.
If you have done this with your friend & she still won’t believe you or even consider your point of view, then she is not an independent. She is a liberal & a moron.
And yes. I am judging her. Bcs I know a lot of people like her who want to continue to believe the Government is there to help people.
I give people like that pocket copies of the Const. & Declaration of Independence & tell them to read it.

Badger40 on September 18, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Deanna on September 18, 2012 at 8:49 AM

If you read my post we actually agree. Many of the people he’s talking about won’t even know. The larger point is the reality, these folks are not the ones who are keeping Obama above water.

NextGen on September 18, 2012 at 8:58 AM

16 Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to him, “King Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. 17 If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us[c] from Your Majesty’s hand. 18 But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.”
Daniel 3:16-18

claudius on September 18, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Worked in High Tech my whole working career +30 years. Unemployed but not taking unemployment, have a private retirement pension. I wanted to go back to work this year, but every single company I interview with is saying the same thing, we are waiting to see how the election goes before hiring, if Obama wins, we will not be hiring more people, if Romney wins we open up hiring and bring our capital back to the US. Racist or good business practices? I know how and why I am voting Romney, to he!! with Obama.

stormridercx4 on September 18, 2012 at 9:29 AM

If this wasn’t’ bad, foxnews would be all over it. Dismissing 47% of voters is bad politics anyway you look at it. Beside, these 47% of voters include lawyers, doctors, teachers, factory workers, hotel workers, restaurant workers, high tech workers etc… People that don’t pay any tax don’t usually vote anyway.
If anything, this makes Romney look like a member of the 2% looking down on the working class and middle class.

Once again, the RINO Establishment abused conservatives by nominating an incapable moderate in the line of Bob Dole, John McCain. A SURE loser in November and guess what? The RINO Establishment will do it in 2016 by dangling the prospect of a disastrous Hillary Clinton potential presidency.
Mitt Romney is a two faced flip flopper who is more liberal than conservative

jules on September 18, 2012 at 9:30 AM

It’s like Paul Ryan said about the Medicare/Obamacare issue (which has now quietly gone away because the left doesn’t want anymore attention paid to the $716 million Obama is embezzling from Medicare):

“We want this debate, and we welcome it.”

Right Mover on September 18, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Like Romney’s going to be any better.

You’re deceived, along with the 98%.

RayinVA on September 18, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Of course he’d be better. He doesn’t hate America. Obama does, and so does anybody who would aid and abet his reelection in any way.

Right Mover on September 18, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Look at the new quote from Mother Jones, about the Palestinian problem. They’ve just given the Romney campaign life. Romney makes a perfectly honest statement about the difficulties of a two-state Israel and they slobbering all over the statement.

Now the Romney campaign can come out and state honestly that this is a piling-on campaign by Mother Jones.

Thanks mother, you never knew when to quit.

itsspideyman on September 18, 2012 at 9:37 AM

“Lie or Buy”, the Obama way FORWARD.

philoise65 on September 18, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I do have one more thing to add Grace.
I really don’t understand why a ‘friend’ would believe strangers (the news organizations & spin from the networks etc) over her own friend who is trying to educate her.
I find that very revealing.
She’s already made up her mind.
She ain’t no Independent.

Badger40 on September 18, 2012 at 9:52 AM

gwelf on September 18, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Excellent point!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MaggiePoo on September 18, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Right Mover on September 18, 2012 at 9:36 AM

All the reason not to vote anything else.

Badger40 on September 18, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Like Romney’s going to be any better.

You’re deceived, along with the 98%.

RayinVA on September 18, 2012 at 8:19 AM

If you mean we’re not going totally laissez faire and aren’t stripping down govt to only protecting rights and borders then….

you’re right.

That would take a revolution.

If that’s what you want then find solace elsewhere…like your own country or something.

MaggiePoo on September 18, 2012 at 9:58 AM

you’re right.

That would take a revolution.

MaggiePoo on September 18, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Tantrum & a hissy fit bcs these sorts of people refuse to realize they’ll never get 100% of what they want.
Giving up bcs you can’t have 100% of your way is wrong.
There are things worth dying for. But Romney is not an evil American hating satanist.
He can lead. Has done it. And has good business sense & people sense.
We should give him a chance. Will he make mistakes?
And really, can any of YOU do any better than he would?
Bcs if you say yes, you clearly haven’t worked with people who are on the other sides of things.
We will not get anywhere by being uncooperative with the enemy. Bcs the enemy are our own countrymen folks.

Badger40 on September 18, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Cherokee on September 18, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Believe it or not plenty of otherwise-smart people believe the media spin. We live in a political bubble here. Most do not.

Also, when making a judgment on the intelligence of someone you’ve never met, it’s helpful to spell correctly.

Grace_is_sufficient on September 18, 2012 at 10:23 AM

And I do agree nothing will change that.
Bcs ignorance one can fix. A reasonable person will see reason.
But you cannot fix stupid.

Badger40 on September 18, 2012 at 8:53 AM

She’s not stupid. Gullible, but not stupid. There’s a difference.

Grace_is_sufficient on September 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM