Romney: Obama’s 47% of the electorate is dependent on government

posted at 7:34 pm on September 17, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Mother Jones and Ace, watch this now if you haven’t seen it elsewhere because political media will be having 20 heart attacks about it tomorrow and you’ll want to be up to speed. This was recorded awhile back at a fundraiser, just like Obama’s infamous “bitter/clinger” comments in 2008. Remember how big that blew up? That’s how we ended up with President McCain.

The dirty little secret of most “controversial” political statements is that voters pay them little mind, especially when they’re preoccupied with bread-and-butter issues. The GOP spent three days in Tampa hammering Obama for the “you didn’t build that” line and a fat lot of good it did them in vaulting Romney past O in the polls. Then again, the GOP didn’t have a media megaphone like the one that’s going to be amplifying this for the rest of the week. The money quote:

“There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what…

“And I mean the president starts off with 48, 49 … he starts off with a huge number. These are people who pay no income tax. Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax. So our message of low taxes doesn’t connect. So he’ll be out there talking about tax cuts for the rich. I mean that’s what they sell every four years. And so my job is not to worry about those people. I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives. What I have to convince the five to ten percent in the center that are independents that are thoughtful, that look at voting one way or the other depending upon in some cases emotion, whether they like the guy or not.”

Certainly, the Obama campaign’s never done anything to tout the sort of cradle-to-grave dependency that Romney describes here. I think David French’s recent post about the “bookends” that compose the modern liberal coalition is closer to the mark than Romney’s familiar makers-and-takers formulation here, but he was at a fundraiser and tossing red meat and I guess wanted it to be as red as possible. As for his claim that 47 percent pay no income tax, it’s true but carries lots of caveats. Ramesh Ponnuru wrote an insightful piece about last year; this new article from National Journal is worth reading too. Two political difficulties here. One: While some Obama supporters may not pay federal income tax, they still pay federal payroll tax and may well pay state and city taxes. They do contribute something to government. Two: A lot of pro-Republican working-class voters pay no income tax due to the Earned Income Tax Credit, and a lot of pro-Republican seniors pay no income tax because most or all of their income is Social Security. Not sure how either of those groups will react to Romney’s critique of O’s fans, but my hunch is that Ben Domenech’s right in believing that no one really thinks they’re part of the 47 percent. Everyone thinks they’re a “maker,” not a “taker,” due to whatever little tax they pay, so when Mitt lays into freeloaders, even people who pay no income tax think he’s talking about someone else. It’s sort of the flip side of senior citizens saying that America needs small government while telling politicians “Hands off my Medicare.” I doubt it’ll end up hurting Romney badly, but the media will do its level best. Buckle up!

That’s the first video. The second video is of Romney joking that he’d have a better chance at being elected if he was Latino, which is almost certainly true.

Update: Damage control from Romney’s campaign:

Mitt Romney wants to help all Americans struggling in the Obama economy. As the governor has made clear all year, he is concerned about the growing number of people who are dependent on the federal government, including the record number of people who are on food stamps, nearly one in six Americans in poverty, and the 23 million Americans who are struggling to find work. Mitt Romney’s plan creates 12 million new jobs in four years, grows the economy and moves Americans off of government dependency and into jobs.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 10 11 12 13 14

the issue is not romney’s status per se, but his sneering, elitist contempt toward those less fortunate than he is.

sesquipedalian on September 18, 2012 at 12:17 AM

You mean like Obama’s brother who lives in a hut and had to get money from a CONSERVATIVE to pay for his child’s operation? You mean like that? What about Biden? What did he give? $300 a year? Yeah. You people are the salt of the earth.

Night Owl on September 18, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I too hate these sneering elitists:

“Ever since he’s been president, he’s been elitist and he’s come with his teleprompter and he’s given his speech,” said Matthews. “He hasn’t listened. He’s talked at us rather than with us.”

Bishop on September 18, 2012 at 12:23 AM

You’re worong. They went into the program in the belief it worked. They put in, they could take out. It’s not their fault it isn’t working or that the government “borrowed” their funds.
I wonder how many people you know on SSA. I know many of them and none of them are living not much above or even at the poverty line. Those that make more do pay for Medicare and Medicare Drug Plans. And Medicare doesn’t pay for everything, there are many things it either doesn’t pay or pays very little, so most have to buy a MediGap policy from a private company.

They were promised something that they paid into. I don’t call that taking advantage of me.

Deanna on September 18, 2012 at 12:12 AM

How many could work to 74 or 75 and pay their own way? My grandmother never made more than 10k in her whole life. She worked well into her 70s. She worked two gardens that were 1/4 of a town block in size EACH, into her 70′s. She she got ss and I have eaten government cheese. She did not want to get the cheese, she refused to go get it, the mayors son would bring it by, (small town) I doubt she even wanted the SS checks, they all went into a special bank account and she used that money to help family in need. Probably knowing they got less take home pay because she was getting SS.

If she can do it, why can these other people not do it? Because it is hard? Work is beneath someone 65 years old?

If I can be disabled, and care for myself and my family, and my extended family and help my friends, why the hell can’t healthy people and get these dead beats out of my wallet?

Why is it the federal government’s job to steal from one to give to another who is capable of working for their own food?

No, they are rhetorical questions which cannot be answered. As there is no good answer. Just lies and propaganda about how they suffered paying in so they should be paid off by the next round of saps. Since they paid in, their children will also be enslaved to continue paying, ad nauseum, why do we sacrifice our children to the gods!?! Shut up, it is how it has always been!

astonerii on September 18, 2012 at 12:24 AM

You were going on about his rich family and the best schools, not his attitude.

sharrukin on September 18, 2012 at 12:20 AM

he claimed that he didn’t inherit anything, that he got where he is entirely on its own. it’s nonsense, as anyone who wasn’t born into privilege knows.

sesquipedalian on September 18, 2012 at 12:24 AM

sesquipedalian on September 18, 2012 at 12:17 AM

What sneering? Romney has paid people’s bills for them, he has bought milk for VA hospitals for Chrisake. He has put people through school that he was not related to..he has given a larger percentage of his income to charity than that snob Obama or that old hypocrite Biden ever did.

There is nothing elitist about trying to create jobs so that people can get off food stamps and have a decent life.

Terrye on September 18, 2012 at 12:24 AM

And can you believe how elitist Romney is to have said such a thing about rural Pennsylvanians?

“And it’s not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.”

Bishop on September 18, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Deanna on September 18, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Social security was never intended (when it was instituted) to be a “total-sum-means” for any individual retired person to live off of.
But it has become that, now. In addition, people are living longer, than in the 1930s.

Social Security has become a ‘pyramid’. If it were some private investment firm doing exactly the same thing, we would call it a Ponzi Scheme and cry “off with their heads” as regards the people running it.

Oh yeah; never mind the fact that the Federal Govt has been stealing from it since the 1960s (or sooner?).

listens2glenn on September 18, 2012 at 12:26 AM

How else would you interpret what Romney originally said? Did he carve out exceptions like those who paid into SS, veterans, the truly disabled, etc?

On its face it appears as if he’s accusing 47% of the electorate of being leeches on the other 53%. I don’t believe that’s what he actually meant, but that’s going to be the optics for many undecided voters. Again, nuance is important.

susandiane311

It can, and probably will, be spun that way. But it would be hard to consider veterans and such as people who don’ take responsibility over their lives or would see themselves as victims.

Zaggs on September 18, 2012 at 12:26 AM

sesquipedalian on September 18, 2012 at 12:24 AM

No it is not..he was talking about not inheriting money. He has never said that he did not have a good education or anything of the kind..and none of that would have made him what he is today if he had not put the work and effort into his business.

Terrye on September 18, 2012 at 12:26 AM

I too hate these sneering elitists:

Bishop on September 18, 2012 at 12:23 AM

but did he say that half of Americans are parasites? did he argue that it’s not his job to care about them? did he call half of Americans entitled victims? help me refresh my memory, because i’ve never heard a politician self-destruct this way.

sesquipedalian on September 18, 2012 at 12:27 AM

let me know when one of them calls half of Americans parasites.

idiot.

sesquipedalian on September 18, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I don’t like your tone! I can capitalize, whereas you can’t. I realize that 47% is not half, and I don’t think that trusting the government for my every need will end well. I am going out on a limb here, but I am willing to bet I am smarter than you. Not to be snobby and elite about it or anything, just sayin.

Night Owl on September 18, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Good Lord man..

if Romney did what you are suggesting he would have no chance of winning at all.

These people are running to be our representatives..they are supposed to represent us and our views. If Romney were to call for an end to all those programs and start talking about wealth transfer in regards to some old lady living in subsidized housing subsisting on 800 a month no one would vote for him because no one would agree with that.

Terrye on September 18, 2012 at 12:21 AM

A balanced budget amendment is a certain to lose policy?
I said keep your fraking socialism. Put a damned cap on it!

astonerii on September 18, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I agree. But to blame the elderly for the government’s screw up is unfair. Most Seniors I know are worried for their children and grandchildren. As they say, they’ll get by, always have… but the future doesn’t look good for the others.(A quote from an elderly souple I know.) I think the problem is also that younger people are less and lass capable of living on less. They don’t know how. Seniors do.

Deanna on September 18, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I know, but its not a question of blame when all is said and done. There is no one who isn’t part and parcel of how this happened. Some more, some less.

I think we should concentrate on how to get out of it and not worry about blame, or what’s fair.

sharrukin on September 18, 2012 at 12:27 AM

susandiane311

I do not think so..I think everyone knows that there is a difference between a veteran and someone who lives on welfare most of their lives.

In fact Romney has spent a great deal of time talking about veterans benefits.

I mean come on if all government benefits are equal..then why don’t all of us get them? Why not me too? After all, don’t I deserve something?

Terrye on September 18, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Well, it was enjoyable for a while. Off to bed I go.

astonerii on September 18, 2012 at 12:30 AM

A balanced budget amendment is a certain to lose policy?
I said keep your fraking socialism. Put a damned cap on it!

astonerii on September 18, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I was not talking about a balanced budget amendment..Romney has already supported that..I was talking about demanding an end to all these programs right now immediately.

Terrye on September 18, 2012 at 12:31 AM

astonerii on September 18, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Well I see where you’re bitterness comes from now. But I think you need to spend some time with the elderly. Most of the ones I know, and that’s a lot, are like your grandmother. You seem to have this idea that definitely doesn’t coincide with my experiences.

Just curious…You get no tax refunds or any deductions then?

Deanna on September 18, 2012 at 12:31 AM

You were going on about his rich family and the best schools, not his attitude.

sharrukin on September 18, 2012 at 12:20 AM

The constant moving of the goalpost must be hard on his back.

Bmore on September 18, 2012 at 12:32 AM

sesquipedalian on September 18, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Terrye on September 18, 2012 at 12:24 AM

It looks like Terrye beat me to it, but still . . . . .

WHAT SNEERING ? ! ! !

sesquipedalian, you had to know you would be challenged to provide some examples before throwing something like that out there.
So what are they?

listens2glenn on September 18, 2012 at 12:33 AM

The constant moving of the goalpost must be hard on his back.

Bmore on September 18, 2012 at 12:32 AM

He’s just upset that Mitt Romney was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and that’s reason enough for the left to hate him.

sharrukin on September 18, 2012 at 12:34 AM

sharrukin on September 18, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I agree. I just get very protective of Seniors because I’ve seen so many that worked hard all their lives living in near destitution with little complaints and very thankful.

Deanna on September 18, 2012 at 12:35 AM

sesquipedalian on September 18, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Sure you have but you voted for him anyway and will do so again in 2012, even though he is not doing anything he promised he would.

Bishop on September 18, 2012 at 12:35 AM

sesquipedalian on September 18, 2012 at 12:27 AM

You are just making stuff up. He did not say he did not care about them..he said they would never vote for him. He never called them parasites, he said they were people who believed that government should provide more for people..he said he believed in a free market economy and not a government run economy.

That is not self destructing. That is an honest assessment. I realize that as a Democrat you are used to politicians lying to you to get your vote..but the truth is a lot of Americans resent the intrusion of government, the over regulation of government,the high taxes of government and they also resent supporting people who do not feel the need to try and support themselves. It pisses people off.

Terrye on September 18, 2012 at 12:35 AM

sesquipedalian on September 18, 2012 at 12:27 AM

You mean like when 0 calls us racist teabaggers? To help you with your memory I suggest you review some of this administrations countless division tactics. You know pitting one little group against others and such. You may have simply missed the last three and three quarter years. That kind of self destruct?

Bmore on September 18, 2012 at 12:36 AM

sesquipedalian on September 18, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Translation:

“I’m not going to attempt to solicit the votes of these individuals. It’s a waste of time, and a lost cause.”

If he wins the White House, he will honor them as much as any other citizen.

listens2glenn on September 18, 2012 at 12:37 AM

sharrukin on September 18, 2012 at 12:34 AM

That must be it, cause last I checked no one on the left was born that way. They are all born poor as dirt and build it themselves…………………………wait…………………….never mind.

Bmore on September 18, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Deanna on September 18, 2012 at 12:35 AM

We made promises but those promises were based on people having children that they eventually didn’t have. Time up and we now have to pay the piper. Old folks, kids, vets, young adults who had nothing to do with nothin’ are all going to pay the price of decades of self-indulgent behavior.

sharrukin on September 18, 2012 at 12:39 AM

sesquipedalian on September 18, 2012 at 12:17 AM

What a delusional d0uchebag…

Dopenstrange on September 18, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Boy, these lefties sure do love their parasites.

Turn ‘em all into beggars ’cause they’re easier to please!

Adjoran on September 18, 2012 at 12:42 AM

sharrukin on September 18, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Having worked with the ADC now TANF and SSI programs, I can tell you right now those are the places to start. Even just dealing with fraud would be a good step and enforcing the now defunct, thanks to Obama, welfare to work program would be a baby step. And don’t get me started on the commodities scams either.

Well I have to get up early tomorrow so have a good night.

Deanna on September 18, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Why are all the trolls here and not posting over on the story about Obama and his administration ignoring the embassy threats, people dying and their Man-child President lying to conceal his ineptness?

Shiny_Tiara on September 18, 2012 at 12:49 AM

This is not going to hurt Mitt. The only people who will be offended are democrats and the people he is actually talking about (but I repeat myself…)and they weren’t going to vote for him anyway, so eff’em.

Dopenstrange on September 18, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Man! I’m liking Romney more and more. I wish he wouldn’t point out this stuff just to select donors….

Speak like that on a daily basis. The less sugar-coated BS the better.

Go Romney!

Opinionnation on September 18, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Just curious…You get no tax refunds or any deductions then?

Deanna on September 18, 2012 at 12:31 AM

last one…
I set my W-4 to a high number that fits what my real tax bill will be at the end of the year. I am usually within 5%.
Yes, I take advantage of every single deduction offered, to do otherwise does not do my family justice. I move often, I get to deduct the cost of that, as long as I intend to remain there for the period, and I always do, not that it makes up for the cost of the move. I get my child tax credit, and I own a home, so I get a tax deduction for the interest. I bought modest and my rate is like 4.25% so it is negligible. None of my family or friend charity is tax deductible, but my church donations are. If my wife’s family lived in Mexico, who seem to be a special group, then the money I use to support them may be tax deductible.

I am happy to give every last one of them up. I’d even give up my veterans benefits if it would get rid of entitlement. Its not like it makes up for destroying any chance of finishing college, I was accepted to MIT out of high school, YEAH, joined the marines instead! worthless now! It is not like it makes up for any single migraine I have ever had and I usually have two or three a month. I’ll put my vote down to get rid of it all!

I’ll be happy with a cap and balance amendment this election cycle. Let the looters and creators fight over a limited size pie for a while. We might actually have the creators win and the looters join our ranks.

I know how hard it is to live on so little for your elderly. That is what family is for. The whole social security thing is a government replacement for family and personal responsibility. The pro communism crowd put it in place just for that reason. The government replaces the need to be a parent in order to have security in old age. If the old aged deserve money from the government, then so too do the disabled. If the disabled, then hard up. If the hard up, then the fatherless child. If the fatherless child, then the mother. Now that a person does not need a family to care for them in old age, they can have no family or even abandon family and get easy divorces. If there is easy divorces, fewer people will want to have children in such a iffy relationship. If they do not want children, then we can abort them, they are not needed for security. If we can abort children, why have a family at all… The degradation ended before the collapse of the family. So, now it is, if marriage is no longer about children, why not gay marriage just to finish off the work.

So, how many generations should we let social security do it’s work? Who cares. My vote will be cheap this year. Cap and Balance. Anything less, and we will see, its not likely.

Man what a bummer.

astonerii on September 18, 2012 at 12:52 AM

sharrukin on September 18, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Bmore on September 18, 2012 at 12:39 AM

That gets my nomination for Thread Winner. : )

listens2glenn on September 18, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Boy this guy, Romney, is utterly incompetent running political campaigns. I am beginning to accept the fact that we will have 4 more years of Obama that will doom the US. It’s not just this, it’s the appalling last two weeks. The RNC was supposed to be an etch-a-sketch moment that would put the Romney/ the conservative movement in full force towards the white house. Instead, it seems a competition about who inside the Romney campaign is more incompetent. I remember that when McCain lost to the One in 2008, the leaks in the campaign started late in the game, certainly after the first two debates. Last weekend we had Romney operatives spilling the beans to Politico frustrated with the incompetence of the campaign. The Intrade markets are moving decisively in Obama’s direction and, save a miracle, I think he will crush Romney on Election Day. I hope I am wrong, but this guy -Romney- is a total disgrace. It seems the case in the Republican Party that nominating the “moderate” put forward by the Party elites always results in a disaster.

p_incorrect on September 18, 2012 at 12:55 AM

I want Romney to win with all of my heart but boy is he inept!!

Almost like somehow he is sabotaging himself?

Something psychological going on here?

Sherman1864 on September 18, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Fresh new gang of trolls rolling in, good night everyone!

ccrosby on September 18, 2012 at 1:00 AM

I think Romney just won the race.

ManWithNoName on September 18, 2012 at 1:03 AM

I want Romney to win with all of my heart but boy is he inept!!

Almost like somehow he is sabotaging himself?

Something psychological going on here?

And the worst of all is that is not like he didn’t have time to prepare. I am beginning to think that this legend of him being a successful business executive is also a lie. I work in a highly competitive industry. I cannot conceive that somebody making so much self-inflicted damage could be successful as a business executive. It’s not just this one thing; it’s the cumulative effect of making mistake after mistake. For instance, if he was thinking about running for president, couldn’t he have put his assets in order right when he got elected as governor of Massachusetts so that his taxes were not a problem? That’s just one thing.

p_incorrect on September 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM

So Jimmy Carters Grandson is claiming credit for this “revelation” … Sorry I can’t do URL’s but it just came up on lucianne

sandee on September 18, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Hmm, all of a sudden Rick Perry or even Pawlenty isn’t looking too bad right now…

Is it too late for a do-over?

tkyang99 on September 18, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Is it too late for a do-over?

I even take Michele Bachmann for God’s sake! He’s caving his grave faster than McCain ever did.

p_incorrect on September 18, 2012 at 1:11 AM

sesquipedalian on September 18, 2012 at 12:17 AM

You can, of course, offer examples of that, can’t you? Perhaps a couple of links to something – other than leftists whining in jealousy.

Solaratov on September 18, 2012 at 1:13 AM

sesquipedalian on September 18, 2012 at 12:27 AM

You and I know there are only 4 main reasons one votes Democrat:

1) You hate America
2) You hate Christians
3) You hate imaginary injustices and want to fix them with other people’s money
4) You want free sh-t

I think 47% is a bit high – I’d go for a solid third to 40%, but Mitt’s right. Obama is nothing but socialist Santa Claus who’s more than happy to leave the next guy the bill. Look at the past 4 years and tell me different.

Chuck Schick on September 18, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Labor Dept. Data: Only 1.75 Full-Time Private Sector Workers Per Social Security Recipient

One more time for good measure!
1.75 hard working producers for every retired collecting social security recipient. Remember, that state and federal workers do not collect social security.

I got the numbers, state and local governments have 8.3 million retirees you are paying for.
The federal government adds about another 2 million retirees you are paying for.

This is all 2010 numbers. I am sure it has gotten much worse.

astonerii on September 18, 2012 at 1:18 AM

This is the story on lucianne

sandee on September 18, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Are you saying AMY CARTER reproduced?

Night Owl on September 18, 2012 at 1:23 AM

I think Romney just won the race.

ManWithNoName on September 18, 2012 at 1:03 AM

It was certainly refreshing what he said and nice to know he isn’t another Bush promoting that “compassionate conservative” garbage.

Oh, and David Brooks is having a fit and derisively calling Romney a rugged individualist. :-)

Punchenko on September 18, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Punchenko on September 18, 2012 at 1:24 AM

But, but the media is saying Romney just lost the race.. Just like last week when they said the same thing…

sandee on September 18, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Romney said it, and there is no taking it back, the only way is to use the statement to define the difference between him and Barry. Make welfare reform an issue. Talk more about choice between the government centered society and a way of life, and free people and responsible citizenship as JFK had put it.

bayview on September 18, 2012 at 1:26 AM

This is the story on lucianne

sandee on September 18, 2012 at 1:16 AM

When America is in doubt and wayward, a Carter steps in, sets up the tee, and allows for a Republican to hit the ball out of the park.

Thank you, Jimmy Carter IV. :-)

Punchenko on September 18, 2012 at 1:28 AM

p_incorrect on September 18, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Well, at least you picked an apt moniker.

Solaratov on September 18, 2012 at 1:29 AM

1150 comments. Signifying nothing. Pretty obvious what the illiberal douchebag parade’s talking points marching orders were today. Useless manure shovelers.

rayra on September 18, 2012 at 1:30 AM

I think Romney just won the race.

ManWithNoName on September 18, 2012 at 1:03 AM

I do to, I can hear people saying why do I have to pay, so Sandra fluke can spread her legs

Conservative4ev on September 18, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Fresh new gang of trolls rolling in, good night everyone!

ccrosby on September 18, 2012 at 1:00 AM

It must be the late shift reporting for duty.

Truly, a foul and loathsome lot.

Solaratov on September 18, 2012 at 1:34 AM

sandee on September 18, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Are you saying AMY CARTER reproduced?

Night Owl
on September 18, 2012 at 1:23 AM

You’re not going to have nightmares over this, are you?

listens2glenn on September 18, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Who says he does not stick to his guns? Thus far Romney has been taking it from the left 24/7..it would be nice if his side backed him up…but I guess some folks just do not have the nads.

Terrye on September 17, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Wait a minute. I was only hoping that Romney wouldn’t back off his comments, nothing more, nothing less. I’m as good a Romney supporter as any. A ‘cheerleader’ in fact. I just acknowledge certain political realities that some don’t.

I totally wish we would go Alinsky on Obama. That’s what we need to do to win.

Corporal Tunnel on September 18, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Team Romney told the truth…

… what’s the problem?

Oh…

… the Truth!

Seven Percent Solution on September 18, 2012 at 1:40 AM

astonerii on September 18, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Look how much it has fallen:

Fact: There were 159.4 workers for each Social Security recipient in 1940.

Fact: There were 16.5 workers for each Social Security recipient in 1950.

Fact: There were 5.1 workers for each Social Security recipient in 1960.

Fact: There were 3.7 workers for each Social Security recipient in 1970.

Fact: There were 3.2 workers for each Social Security recipient in 1980.

Fact: There were 3.4 workers for each Social Security recipient in 1990.

Fact: There were 3.4 workers for each Social Security recipient in 2000.

Fact: There were 3.3 workers for each Social Security recipient in 2005.

Fact: There were only 1.75 full-time private-sector workers in the United States last year for each person receiving benefits from Social Security, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Social Security board of trustees.

“Lies” About Social Security and Medicare Pandering Politicians Never Told You

M2RB: Bob Dylan, live

Resist We Much on September 18, 2012 at 1:41 AM

This is the story on lucianne

sandee on September 18, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Are you saying AMY CARTER reproduced?

Night Owl on September 18, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Jimmie Carter has 4 children. Any Carter is the only girl and the youngest. Her son goes by her married name. Jimmy Carter IV, the one who steered the video to David Corn, is the son of James Carter, Jimmie Carter’s second son.

bayview on September 18, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Team Romney told the truth…

… what’s the problem?

Oh…

… the Truth!

Seven Percent Solution on September 18, 2012 at 1:40 AM

That’ll be about enough truth outta’ you.
Damn Conservatives … always trying to promote the truth.

listens2glenn on September 18, 2012 at 1:45 AM

DU has gone apeshite about this today, a sure indication that the Truth has been spoken by somenoe on the right about a given issue.

rayra on September 18, 2012 at 1:45 AM

This could both hurt Romney, or it could help him a lot. If he runs away from it, it will haunt him. If he makes it an issue and goes after the lefts dependent culture, it could work wonders.

sharrukin on September 18, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Romney had the right instincts during the embassy attacks, but then shut down immediately after the media criticism. I suspect he may do the same, now. His statement tonight was fine, but he hasn’t shown the courage to withstand sustained fire.

Developing a flinch is easy. Getting rid of one is hard.

The Resolute Desk on September 18, 2012 at 1:56 AM

sharrukin on September 18, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Correct. He’s got everyone’s attention now. Let’s see what he does with it.

Corporal Tunnel on September 18, 2012 at 1:58 AM

p_incorrect on September 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM

He did not have to deal with the media in the business world..this is not real life,this is politics.

Terrye on September 18, 2012 at 2:00 AM

I think all we really can hope for now is a REALLY BAD October jobs report.

But if Romney keeps this up, even that might not be enough….people seem to be getting numb to the bad economy…

tkyang99 on September 18, 2012 at 2:04 AM

p_incorrect on September 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Yes, genius, he made a few hundred millions by being an unsuccessful executive, and the Bain is not there to check their records, and his record as a manager…the naive and dupeded one metinks, is you, who can’t tell fhe difference between business (or real life so to say) and politics, they are two distinct realms that are not governed
by the same sef of rules, and needless to remind you that it’s the politics that is the phoney one…but then you wouldn’t know that if it slapped you it along the backside of your head…btw, how many hundreds millions did you make in your highly competitce industry…right,, I thought so…

jimver on September 18, 2012 at 2:20 AM

sandee on September 18, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Are you saying AMY CARTER reproduced?

Night Owl on September 18, 2012 at 1:23 AM

You’re not going to have nightmares over this, are you?

listens2glenn on September 18, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Oh dear… I might need a sleeping pill. That is distrubing.

petunia on September 18, 2012 at 2:21 AM

HAHAHAHA!!!

This is great! Romney exposed the truth that 47 percent aren’t paying income taxes! Skin in the game, you useless moochers! Skin in the game!

John the Libertarian on September 18, 2012 at 2:27 AM

You’re not going to have nightmares over this, are you?

listens2glenn on September 18, 2012 at 1:36 AM

I’m probably not going to sleep at all!

bayview on September 18, 2012 at 1:43 AM

But not because of this. I read the article, and I have to admit, even though it’s mean, I’m glad the guy doesn’t have a job and has to go rooting through the internet trying to make friends.

Bayview, you are a font of knowledge!

Night Owl on September 18, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Oh my gosh. Lay off Allahpunit, this is his/her house! You are a guest! Don’t attack Allah!

I guess some people might consider what I just said is blashphemy… which is why we all love Allahpundit!!!!

Unless he/she says there is no God, then you may attack. :)

petunia on September 18, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Romney’s statement was a mistake. Yes there is a goodly percentage of people who love being on the government teat who will never vote against the cow going dry. This 47% figure is only about people who pay no income tax. Let us remember that Romeny’s campaign is about upward mobility. Romney should have said “I want every American to have such a decent income that they need to pay federal income tax.”
How many of the 47% desires for a better life for themselves and thier families. My answer is a lot more than Romney or Obama think.

TomLawler on September 18, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Hmmm I only remember Amy… Well it’s not a surprising the guy doens’t have a job and is attacking the only man offering hope for a job in the future.

petunia on September 18, 2012 at 2:33 AM

TomLawler… the ones who really want that, will vote for Romney that is the point. Any one who wants to pull their own weight and not live off the work of others… is a Republican.

Democrats are leeches… now everyone can make the choice… which side are you on? Worker or leech.

petunia on September 18, 2012 at 2:35 AM

I totally wish we would go Alinsky on Obama. That’s what we need to do to win.

Corporal Tunnel on September 18, 2012 at 1:39 AM

And how is this video going Alinski on Obama? What Romney says there is pretty much the truth, a bit blunt pit it maybe, but the truth…but that doesn’t help much in politics now, does it….And Alinski was about the exact opposite, which is lying cynically, both about your opponents and misrepresenting the reality/ies, whether political, economic, social, etc…

jimver on September 18, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Time to grow a spine and buck up, people. Romney was right. He didnt run away from his words, so we all need to support and defend him. Whenever the truth is told, many cons seem to revert to Mitch McConnel types. Man up.

Jack_Burton on September 18, 2012 at 2:48 AM

TomLawler on September 18, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Well, guess what, not that many as you might think. Ever heard of or been to Kali??? i live bere, if you think that there is a higher percentage of those 47% who don’t pay federal income taxess – and I include in that category those living on different forms of govt welfare and benefits – who actually want a better life (meaning work harder, try harder, get better paid and get off the benefits) you are delusional. besides, simply saying that ‘I want to life betted is not enough’, if you don’t do anything about it. 30% of all people on different form of welfare in this country are located in in California, so go figure…couple that with the changing demographics and the fact that the illegals keep coming accross the border, and get a realistic picture of what we are up against when it comes to the mooching mentality in this country…and california is no exception when it comes to that entitlement mentality, the only exceptional thing is the high mumber of people living on benefits in my state…and it’s going t get worse…

jimver on September 18, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Hey vote for me you buncha leeches!! Get off your lazy arse and go get a couple of Ivy league degrees like me! I barely survived at BYU and had to sell off my Daddy’s company stock. Hey social security people…get an effin’ job!

Way to increase your likability ratings Romney. I did learn you wear as little as possible when you go to bed this week though. Romney is officially a walking punch line now.

ZippyZ on September 18, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Romney is officially a walking punch line now.

ZippyZ on September 18, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Meh, don’t feel too bad for him — at least he will be the 45th President of the United States. He might even get the Senate, too, and be able to pack the SCOTUS once some liberal old timers step down.

But honestly, it’s Barry’s ego that I worry about.

Hopefully he’ll make out with a good library if his Hollywood friends pitch in enough $$$ to build it. Maybe they can model it after a Kenyan hut to celebrate Barry’s roots, or a mosque to highlight Barry’s religious values.

I know Bill Clinton’s library is modeled after a double-wide trailer and has his own *private* penthouse atop the structure (for when he wants to get away from Hillary and, er, you know.) :-)

Punchenko on September 18, 2012 at 3:25 AM

ZippyZ on September 18, 2012 at 3:08 AM

How much do you contribute to charity? or are you like the rest of the snooty progressives who OUTSOURCE their ‘compassion’ and ‘empathy’ to government?

That way you don’t have to get your hands dirty, zippy?

Romney has personally helped countless people in his life and not just with money but with his presence, his time, his energies, and his caring.

Obama has never done anything for any individual he’s known. His community organizing wasn’t about helping people it was about how to gain political power. Power. That’s Obama’s mission in life. The power to coerce. Coerce the private sector, coerce taxpayers. And make people beg for more with his kudzu economics.

romney wants to help everyone in this country. You can’t climb the ladder out of poverty and want if there are missing rungs. Losing govt subsidies by getting a better job keeps you in your place. That’s Obama’s idea of ‘job security’.

You and Obama have no clue how much damage to the economy Obama has already done—yet he expects it to continue to be the goose from which he can steal all the eggs.

So take your stupid progressive attitude and shove it.

Now back to the terrorist attack Obama’s administration denies occurred.

MaggiePoo on September 18, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Isn’t what Romney said today a polite way of saying, “We have turned our social safety net programs into a hammock instead of a safety net”?

That is how I interpret what he said. How many of us have someone in our family that constantly makes excuses for underperforming their potential, thus they are adults over 30 leaching off their parents, still living at home? Everyone knows someone who has someone like that in their family.

I am not talking about those who have lost their jobs and homes in this horrible economy that has crashed since 2008. I am talking about those who have not even tried to be personally responsible for themselves since they turned 21.

How many of us are infuriated to find out that ILLEGAL ALIENS are collecting BILLIONS in tax credits for kids that aren’t US Citizens, either? In some cases, the kids don’t even live here.

It is stuff like this that just has to stop. We have to go back to the mindset that we have to be personally responsible adults.

We still have to take care of those who have physical and mental limitations. We always have had the safety net for them. Those are the ones that will be hurt the most when our whole entitlement system crashes because of the able bodied people gaming the system.

We need to have a national conversation on entitlements. Until we defeat Obama and take back the Senate and do better at the state level, we won’t be able to have a meaningful conversation. Particularly, when our media is full of progressives that want to bring down our free market capitalistic society and turn us into a 3rd rate european country.

karenhasfreedom on September 18, 2012 at 5:38 AM

Bloomberg says Romney just lost the election.

God help us.

Grace_is_sufficient on September 18, 2012 at 5:46 AM

Romney: Obama’s 47% of the electorate is dependent on government

Yeah, but how many of them actually vote?

I think “electorate” in this case is extrapolated from polls. And I don’t know if polling companies contact folks who have cell phones (Lifeline)?

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 18, 2012 at 5:48 AM

Terrye on September 18, 2012 at 2:00 AM

you ignorant turd. Pay no heed to his years of Olympics salvaging, big business interviews AND his years as Gov of MA. Your trite garbage pretends he’s got no media experience.

rayra on September 18, 2012 at 6:06 AM

ZippyZ on September 18, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Try to get ahead by your skin color, gender, or genital preface patriot.

tom daschle concerned on September 18, 2012 at 6:07 AM

I can hear the freaking screams of scandal right now! Racist! Bigot!

Who cares though. They call us that every day anyway.

Our worse enemy right now is the GOP establishment who will want to twist and turn to apologize and appease.

JellyToast on September 18, 2012 at 6:07 AM

Focus….regardless, Romney is “anyone but Obama”.

Amjean on September 18, 2012 at 6:15 AM

This gets almost 2000 comments? Really? There are bigger fish to fry people.

rollthedice on September 18, 2012 at 6:22 AM

Mika’s making a gravely concerned face and the MSNBC folks are messing their pants over this.

Shocka, I know.

Grace_is_sufficient on September 18, 2012 at 6:29 AM

And I gotta tell ya folks, for the first time I’m actually fired up about this Romney guy.

rollthedice on September 18, 2012 at 6:35 AM

The interesting thing is that the numbers are about the same:: 47-49 who pay no fed income tax and Obama’s sure voters about the same. They overlap but are not identical.

And note well those who scream that Romney just lost are in the 47% who aren’t voting Romney anyway.

At least Romney has the guts to be honest about it.

MaggiePoo on September 18, 2012 at 6:36 AM

This gets almost 2000 comments? Really? There are bigger fish to fry people.

rollthedice on September 18, 2012 at 6:22 AM

You’re wrong. There are no bigger fish to fry. This is it. You fix this problem or it fixes you.

DFCtomm on September 18, 2012 at 6:36 AM

My take.

kingsjester on September 18, 2012 at 6:36 AM

BTW Begala told a lie on Anderson Cooper last night. He said Soc Sec recipients don’t pay taxes thus trying to imply that they make up a huge chunk of the 47%.

That’s simply not true. After a certain amount they pay taxes as well.

MaggiePoo on September 18, 2012 at 6:40 AM

DFCtomm on September 18, 2012 at 6:36 AM

This is a problem only for the 47% of Romney voters when the other 53% who DO pay income tax find out about it.

MaggiePoo on September 18, 2012 at 6:41 AM