Romney: Obama’s 47% of the electorate is dependent on government

posted at 7:34 pm on September 17, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Mother Jones and Ace, watch this now if you haven’t seen it elsewhere because political media will be having 20 heart attacks about it tomorrow and you’ll want to be up to speed. This was recorded awhile back at a fundraiser, just like Obama’s infamous “bitter/clinger” comments in 2008. Remember how big that blew up? That’s how we ended up with President McCain.

The dirty little secret of most “controversial” political statements is that voters pay them little mind, especially when they’re preoccupied with bread-and-butter issues. The GOP spent three days in Tampa hammering Obama for the “you didn’t build that” line and a fat lot of good it did them in vaulting Romney past O in the polls. Then again, the GOP didn’t have a media megaphone like the one that’s going to be amplifying this for the rest of the week. The money quote:

“There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what…

“And I mean the president starts off with 48, 49 … he starts off with a huge number. These are people who pay no income tax. Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax. So our message of low taxes doesn’t connect. So he’ll be out there talking about tax cuts for the rich. I mean that’s what they sell every four years. And so my job is not to worry about those people. I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives. What I have to convince the five to ten percent in the center that are independents that are thoughtful, that look at voting one way or the other depending upon in some cases emotion, whether they like the guy or not.”

Certainly, the Obama campaign’s never done anything to tout the sort of cradle-to-grave dependency that Romney describes here. I think David French’s recent post about the “bookends” that compose the modern liberal coalition is closer to the mark than Romney’s familiar makers-and-takers formulation here, but he was at a fundraiser and tossing red meat and I guess wanted it to be as red as possible. As for his claim that 47 percent pay no income tax, it’s true but carries lots of caveats. Ramesh Ponnuru wrote an insightful piece about last year; this new article from National Journal is worth reading too. Two political difficulties here. One: While some Obama supporters may not pay federal income tax, they still pay federal payroll tax and may well pay state and city taxes. They do contribute something to government. Two: A lot of pro-Republican working-class voters pay no income tax due to the Earned Income Tax Credit, and a lot of pro-Republican seniors pay no income tax because most or all of their income is Social Security. Not sure how either of those groups will react to Romney’s critique of O’s fans, but my hunch is that Ben Domenech’s right in believing that no one really thinks they’re part of the 47 percent. Everyone thinks they’re a “maker,” not a “taker,” due to whatever little tax they pay, so when Mitt lays into freeloaders, even people who pay no income tax think he’s talking about someone else. It’s sort of the flip side of senior citizens saying that America needs small government while telling politicians “Hands off my Medicare.” I doubt it’ll end up hurting Romney badly, but the media will do its level best. Buckle up!

That’s the first video. The second video is of Romney joking that he’d have a better chance at being elected if he was Latino, which is almost certainly true.

Update: Damage control from Romney’s campaign:

Mitt Romney wants to help all Americans struggling in the Obama economy. As the governor has made clear all year, he is concerned about the growing number of people who are dependent on the federal government, including the record number of people who are on food stamps, nearly one in six Americans in poverty, and the 23 million Americans who are struggling to find work. Mitt Romney’s plan creates 12 million new jobs in four years, grows the economy and moves Americans off of government dependency and into jobs.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 8 9 10 11 12 14

It’s 49% of houses receiving benefits.

And if you think this is good news; you are sadly mistaken. Whether or not you agree that government should be in the business of helping people out; 49+% is simply not sustainable.

lorien1973 on September 17, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Doesn’t that include social security, medicare and people on disability? In which case, is that what Romney is running against?

libfreeordie on September 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

just up at NYT.verbaluce on September 17, 2012 at 10:52 PM
NYT! and so….
texgal on September 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Well, you know…interesting.

verbaluce on September 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

strictnein on September 17, 2012 at 10:56 PM

That is always part of the obstacle course to the white house… Bad things for democrats hidden deep in the Friday news. Bad things for the Republican brought up when most expedient.

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

verbaluce on September 17, 2012 at 10:52 PM

If there’s anybody who doesn’t understand the country in which he lives, it’s the Obama-fellating, pant-crease-loving NY Times house “conservative” David Brooks.

Spare us.

Right Mover on September 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

verbaluce on September 17, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Oh yes, David Brooks, the rock-ribbed conservative who wet his skivvies after gazing upon Barky’s perfectly creased pants.

You might as well have used Maureen Dowd to make your point.

Bishop on September 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM

A good chunk of that 47% probably doesn’t even know they don’t pay federal income taxes. They’ll think Romney isn’t talking about them.

Wigglesworth on September 17, 2012 at 10:58

PM

I have done taxes for years and this is very true…

MGardner on September 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Ha. Mitt Romney could wake up tomorrow, send some money to his off shore accounts, make his own anti-Islam video, have a 24 oz. Pepsi, kick a few puppies, AND I would still knock over old ladies to vote for him. Obama is THAT bad.

BettyRuth on September 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Brooks pc just up NYT.

verbaluce on September 17, 2012 at 10:52 PM
You mean David Brooks ? The Conservative ?

Shocked……. shocked I Tell ya!.

Ich Bin Ein 47%’ers ???

FlaMurph on September 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I also think that there are plenty who actually ARE a part of that “47%” don’t really THINK they are
Highlar on September 17, 2012 at 10:49 PM

True. Others have mentioned this here. But some of that 53% might feel the statement is “heartless”. The View , Ellen and the Sunday roundtables will feature the quote no doubt.

Either Alinsky tactics and a complicit MSM will win the day or people will vote ,as they usually do, against the incumbent with the failing economy.

BoxHead1 on September 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I actually agree with many of the posters here. Here’s what I posted on FB:

think its a horrible gaffe…but I also wonder if there aren’t certain voters out there who, even though they are part of the 47% referenced by Romney think about people dependent on welfare as “someone else.” How many are saying right now “Yeah Romney’s right!” I hope I am wrong.

libfreeordie on September 17, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Your trepidation pleases and comforts me. Should you feel dread and horror, please bring that sweet nectar as well.

I don’t have to tell you to skip “glee” — you’ll be here with bells on. Possibly literally.

Axe on September 17, 2012 at 11:00 PM

libfreeordie on September 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Those things should be paid by family or savings. Not me and in the future my daughter. She will have me to care for! Keep your selfish greedy hands out of her pockets!

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Here’s the problem for Romney, there are lots of Americans who don’t owe income tax, but are also NOT dependent on government at all. They work very hard, they pay state and city taxes and many of them have never sniffed a government benefit. By labeling every person who doesn’t make enough to pay income tax Romney is showing a huge disdain for a huge swath of voters.

libfreeordie on September 17, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Actually, there aren’t. My guess is that most who don’t have a federal income tax liabilit don’t have a state income tax liability. As for city income taxes, many cities don’t have them, and if they do, it’s no more than, say, 2.5% unless you live in NYC.

And how can Obama keep saying that 95% of Americans got a “tax cut”–a federal income tax cut, mind you–during his first term when 47% aren’t paying any federal income tax to begin with? This is such a sham. Receiving welfare in the form of a refundable tax credit–a credit paid in cash to the extent that it exceeds your federal income tax liability–is welfare, not an income tax cut.

BuckeyeSam on September 17, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Mitt! I think you finally got Erik Erikson, Rush, Laura and all the other hard cores on your side. Not sure if that will help though…

rubberneck on September 17, 2012 at 11:00 PM

if you think that insulting half of Americans is astute politics, you’re delusional.

also, too, there’s more coming tomorrow apparently. you know, drip by drip.

btw – hey, does everyone remember when the breitbart vetting was gonna bring down obama? good times.

sesquipedalian on September 17, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Insulting voters? Well..what I…a typical white woman who clings to her guns and her God know about being insulted?

I mean after all,I live in Jesus Land and might actually be called a Jesus Freak by a certain kind of person who would look at where I live and call it fly over country while making cracks about my gene pool.

Mitt was not insulting anyone, he was speaking the truth..rare thing anymore.

Terrye on September 17, 2012 at 11:01 PM

libfreeordie on September 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Well sure and Romney meant exactly that, he wants the number to be at zero. Ok he didn’t really say that but we all know what Rombo meant.

Bishop on September 17, 2012 at 11:02 PM

You were a lurker. Not a creeper. Lurker. :) Axe on September 17, 2012 at 10:56 PM

You’re right! I just looked it up and definitely I lurked, not creeped! And I would run over the concerned troll first! Just sayin’!

texgal on September 17, 2012 at 11:02 PM

libfreeordie on September 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Good Lord! If you really can’t tell the difference between legitimate and teet sucking, then there is absolutely no hope for you. Just concentrate on getting the fine folks at Morehouse straight, will ya?

Bmore on September 17, 2012 at 11:02 PM

BuckeyeSam on September 17, 2012 at 11:00 PM

This is true..I know people who get more back than they pay in..they actually turn a profit on the federal income tax.

Terrye on September 17, 2012 at 11:02 PM

sesquipedalian on September 17, 2012 at 10:57 PM

You sound kind of desperate for someone who thinks he just scored a big win tonight.

The Count on September 17, 2012 at 11:03 PM

that’s what people around here were claiming when mccain suspended his campaign. good luck with that.

also, too, there’s more coming tomorrow apparently. you know, drip by drip.

sesquipedalian on September 17, 2012 at 10:57 PM

He spoke the truth… In fact many of those who do not pay taxes think that they are part of the 53% that pays taxes and in their minds they are also sick of supporting the 47% that does not pay taxes… Romney did not back down in his press conference and in fact he framed the debate that all the Producers are waiting for, “Obama Central run Economy” vs. “Romney Free Enterprise Economy”… It is a debate that we want, it is a debate that we the PRODUCERS will win…

mnjg on September 17, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Well, you know…interesting. expected!

verbaluce on September 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

FIFY

texgal on September 17, 2012 at 11:04 PM

verbaluce on September 17, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Proof positive that the NYT’s “conservative” writer Brooks doesn’t know any conservatives, never talks to any conservatives, has no idea how conservatives think. Romney said what I hear from fellow conservatives — and moderates — every single day.

Rational Thought on September 17, 2012 at 11:05 PM

libfreeordie on September 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

No…and btw, a lot more than 47% get social security…you should know that..He is talking about people who have no desire to take care of themselves and who think it is the role and job of government to do it for them..even if that government is bankrupt.And if that government goes bankrupt..what happens to those people on social security?

Terrye on September 17, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Wigglesworth on September 17, 2012 at 10:58

That was hysterical. I know you meant It in earnest truth, and you are right, but the soda spray on my screen says it was very humorous.

FlaMurph on September 17, 2012 at 11:05 PM

also, too, there’s more coming tomorrow apparently. you know, drip by drip.

sesquipedalian on September 17, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Nope and here’s why. A lot of those people don’t believe they are part of that 47%. Even the ones who get more refunded than they owed believe they pay taxes. So to them it’s other people who are the freeloaders. I know. I used to work with a Commnity Action Agency and even those who got the EIC and huge refunds had nothing but scorn for those who didn’t work at all. Seniors especially think that they have paid their fair share and aren’t part of that group. It’s funny but people really don’t equate getting back more than they owed to not paying taxes.

Deanna on September 17, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Woof…I saw this earlier, but I seriously didn’t think that was the part that was to make headlines. Instead, I thought we would understand why Romney hasn’t been willing to talk about details until today is this:

Well, I wrote a book that lays out my view for what has to happen in the country, and people who are fascinated by policy will read the book. We have a website that lays out white papers on a whole series of issues that I care about. I have to tell you, I don’t think this will have a significant impact on my electability. I wish it did. I think our ads will have a much bigger impact. I think the debates will have a big impact…My dad used to say, “Being right early is not good in politics.” And in a setting like this, a highly intellectual subject—discussion on a whole series of important topics typically doesn’t win elections. And there are, there are, there are—for instance, this president won because of “hope and change.”

But ok….

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 17, 2012 at 11:06 PM

There would not have been any problem if Romney had said

There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are Many of those 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it.

The 47% are the Barry base, who will vote blindly for him no matter what. But not all are government department.

Many of the seniors who are voting for Romney had dependent on Social Security and Medicare.

bayview on September 17, 2012 at 11:07 PM

libfreeordie on September 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

At least in the case of social security, workers have, in fact, paid into a system. In the case of Medicare, I think people are getting far more than they paid in, but at least they paid in. So, too, for social security disability.

On disability, however, that program is totally out of control. It’s exploded under Obama because unemployed have learned that they can get a bogus disability approved and never have to deal with limits on unemployment benefits again. Then, they can work in the underground cash economy when they feel like it.

BuckeyeSam on September 17, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I think I officially became a Mittbot tonight…

MGardner on September 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

welcome aboard

gerrym51 on September 17, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Maybe Rombo gave a jolt of life to the slim majority who are paying all the taxes, the people who are tired of being tapped for more every time some pol decides they need a new entitlement program.

Bishop on September 17, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Oh by the way, the middle east is still on fire and the economy is circling the drain and the chair is still nowhere to be seen.

Ellis on September 17, 2012 at 11:09 PM

sesquipedalian on September 17, 2012 at 10:57 PM

You mean like booing God at a political convention?

Actually that was insulting more than half.

Please…..

I’m not particularly conservative as far as fiscal matters go, and even I don’t think this is a big deal.

Dreadnought on September 17, 2012 at 11:09 PM

libfreeordie on September 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

How dare you conflate able-bodied adults living on government handouts with the elderly, the infirm, and people disabled to the point of being unable to work. Have you no shame?! WE can tell the difference. Why can’t YOU?

Rational Thought on September 17, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Whether this improved his odds of winning or not will be debatable for the next few weeks. The thing that can be said, is he improved his odds with me. I am a damned hard sell. Ask anyone here. If I got sold some, many people have been bought and paid for and already headed out the door to early vote Romney.

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Terrye on September 17, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Welcome to the Earned Income Tax Credit and some new credits that Obama had enacted. It’s welfare distributed through the Internal Revenue Code, but Congress doesn’t have the balls to call it what it is–especially liberals.

BuckeyeSam on September 17, 2012 at 11:10 PM

this is 100 percent right on. most of the takers don’t think their taking. they think some one else is taking

gerrym51 on September 17, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Bishop on September 17, 2012 at 11:07 PM

From your mouth to God’s ear!

texgal on September 17, 2012 at 11:10 PM

libfreeordie on September 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Yeah – Mitts blasting the retirees, those 75 yr old freeloaders on SS and Medicare………

On second thought…… Let’s have this debate instead of the Abortionpalooza debate……”.

FlaMurph on September 17, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I’m curious…

… Since 100% of what Team Romney said is true, what is the problem?

Seven Percent Solution on September 17, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Romney campaign spokeswoman Gail Gitcho released a statement about the video Monday evening. “Mitt Romney wants to help all Americans struggling in the Obama economy,” she said. “As the governor has made clear all year, he is concerned about the growing number of people who are dependent on the federal government, including the record number of people who are on food stamps, nearly one in six Americans in poverty, and the 23 million Americans who are struggling to find work. Mitt Romney’s plan creates 12 million new jobs in four years, grows the economy and moves Americans off of government dependency and into jobs.”

What the Obama fluffers want you to forget.

CW on September 17, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Wigglesworth on September 17, 2012 at 10:58

They don’t vote either.

rubberneck on September 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I will be thrilled if this redounds to Mitt’s credit. One aspect not commented on is the influence of Mitt’s religion on self-reliance. Hope the Dems and MSM pick up on this angle, because that dung will fly right back in their faces.

matthew8787 on September 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Mitt was not insulting anyone, he was speaking the truth..rare thing anymore.

Terrye on September 17, 2012 at 11:01 PM

sure.

this from a guy who was born to a wealthy family, went to the best schools and got this far because he’s a member of the elite. he also had the nerve to say that he “inherited nothing” from his parents.

toast.

sesquipedalian on September 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I’m curious…

… Since 100% of what Team Romney said is true, what is the problem?

Seven Percent Solution on September 17, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Excellent Point! *clink!*

Bmore on September 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM

… Since 100% of what Team Romney said is true, what is the problem?

Seven Percent Solution on September 17, 2012 at 11:11 PM

OOH, OOH, OOH, hand raised, I know, I know!

Absolutely nothin’!

texgal on September 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Its Possible. I just told my wife he has new potential. Two ad that talk about balanced budget and not passing the cost onto our children. This from a few weeks/months back. If he brings Cut,cap and balance center stage, I think I can live with myself voting for him. Why do you think I am here? 1, I want an end to entitlement. 2, It would be nice to have my old America back without a collapse before.
Things said in private generally have a little bit of core belief in them. Secrets among friends and all. Or, he might have just tailored the conversation to the crowd. The next two months will solidify which way it is.
I may be unreasonable, but I am not unpersuadable. I know I am demanding. Then again the office of the presidency will be no cake walk even for the bold.

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 10:51 PM

We’ll have to see how the debates go. That will be the make or break, imho. Do remember that we are buying time – it’s up to us to enact change, not a politician.

kim roy on September 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Just watched that hastily thrown together Mitt Romney press conference. Hot Mess doesn’t begin to describe it. He looked nervous, rushed and super desperate. Not like someone who wants to really have a substantive debate about the size of government…..once again any Romney anxiety I have the candidate himself quickly squashes.

libfreeordie on September 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Rational Thought on September 17, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I also personally do not see the difference. I do not like the guy you are replying to. But I am wondering why people I do not know, never met and never will have a higher claim to my money than my own flesh and blood who are in need of my wealth creation. Outside of disabled veterans, who served the nation and earned their scars defending their nation, the government has no business taking anyone’s wealth and redistributing to someone else. I’ll give up my veteran’s benefits, it is not like they even remotely make up for my loss of income or a good life, but the government and all her citizens has a vested interest in caring for those who keep her safe. The rest of your crew, that is personal, private, family and community vested interest, not federal!

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 11:14 PM

This might be what finally springs Mitt into a defense of freedom. he doesn’t have much choice if he is to defend what he said. And I agree with those here who say that is an argument that needs to be had and that we can win.

breffnian on September 17, 2012 at 11:14 PM

also, too, there’s more coming tomorrow apparently. you know, drip by drip.

sesquipedalian on September 17, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Go to the mother jones site and you’ll see the drip drip. Not much there. Wow you’re as dim as they get.

CW on September 17, 2012 at 11:14 PM

libfreeordie on September 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM

We watched it, too! You are delusional!

texgal on September 17, 2012 at 11:14 PM

verbaluce on September 17, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Spare us.

Right Mover on September 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Thanks for that…I hate the tool Brooks

*belch*

workingclass artist on September 17, 2012 at 11:15 PM

sesquipedalian on September 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM

stupid moniker links to video game videos, we can write you off as stupid and malinformed.

Thanks.

tom daschle concerned on September 17, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Actually, the 47% number does not pick and choose.. That’s how many do not pay income tax. So yes it includes the folks in question and folks who only pay Capitol gains, not income tax.

Many would be surprised to learn the top/bottom welfare recipients per capita by state.

Illinois
Colorado
Florida
Idaho
Wyoming

Are the bottom 5, the least per capita.

NextGen on September 17, 2012 at 11:15 PM

libfreeordie on September 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Oh please what else would you have said. blow me.

CW on September 17, 2012 at 11:15 PM

BettyRuth on September 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Ha, ha…SO TRUE!

Rational Thought on September 17, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Wigglesworth on September 17, 2012 at 10:58

FlaMurph on September 17, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Wigglesworth is right on. A problem might be with the bleeding heart section of the 53%.
But the real problem is that the Obama campaign(+MSM) is forcing the issues it wants. I’m not sure what Mitt can do about that. On the other hand ,these ads don’t erase Obama’s crappy economy.

BoxHead1 on September 17, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I think I officially became a Mittbot tonight…

MGardner on September 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

We are all mittbots..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I think despite the media, Romney is making an impact on the middle. The things he says make folks in the middle THINK about the situation the country is in. He has in the past and even more forthrightly tonight laid out a clear delineation between himself and Obama: government dependency vs. self-fortitude and upward mobility. I believe that most people deeply prefer the SECOND choice. I think Romney is using these pressers to steadily set up the upcoming debates. This has got to have Obama shaking a bit, either in anger or fear though, I am not sure which. ROMNEY is the one that is setting up the talking points of the day, be it foreign policy or government overreach, NOT Obama and the media. Romney is USING the media with his press conferences to get out the words he wants to get out TO that middle, without having to pay for extra 30 second slot commercials. And the media falls all over itself slipping into his trap, because they want to try to snap up any “gaffes” that they can. However, what Romney says at these pressers MAKES SENSE to the 53% and the media doesn’t realize how its giving Romney EXACTLY the stage he wants to look like a leader and Presidential.

Highlar on September 17, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Romney insults 47%
Obama insults 53%

YMMV

redguy on September 17, 2012 at 11:16 PM

47% is a lot of people to paint with such a broad brush. I wished that Romney would have been more nuanced.

There are millions of hardworking people whose combination of low or modest income and/or deductions qualify them for all or most of their federal withholding to be refunded back to them each year. They aren’t deliberately evading paying federal income taxes. Why would anyone assume all people in this category see themselves as entitled victims? Why should they be lumped in with those who are truly moochers?

susandiane311 on September 17, 2012 at 11:17 PM

libfreeordie on September 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM

In fact in the real world the opposite is true… Romney said multiple times in his press conference that these elections is a choice of two visions for America “Obama center run government economy” vs his “Free Enterprise economy”… It is a debate that we want to have, it is a debate that we will win.

mnjg on September 17, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Bmore on September 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM

*clinky!*

Seven Percent Solution on September 17, 2012 at 11:19 PM

susandiane311 on September 17, 2012 at 11:17 PM

How many of Obama’s 47% are actually going to go vote :) my guess not many

Conservative4ev on September 17, 2012 at 11:19 PM

So after a few days of conservative harping over the tactics that Romney is using to win the election there just happens to be a video leaked that explains the “process” he will be using to assuage concerns the base might have about his campaign tactics…

And the MSM runs with it!

Only Mother Jones would have been stupid enough to publish this video. If it was sent to CNN or NYT they would have at least had the good sense to just sit on it for Obama.

Or at least wait to release it later.

How does this possibly help Obama, they must seriously be in the worst liberal cocoon ever to think this will be damaging to Romney’s election prospects.

happytobehere on September 17, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Just concentrate on getting the fine folks at Morehouse straight, will ya?

Bmore on September 17, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Wouldn’t that be against liveasaslaveanddie’s basic nature?

Solaratov on September 17, 2012 at 11:20 PM

We are all mittbots..:)

Dire Straits on September 17, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I shall NEVER be a Mittbot, as long as I have my Palin poster to protect me.

Axe on September 17, 2012 at 11:21 PM

happytobehere on September 17, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I think the drudge headline says it all :)

Conservative4ev on September 17, 2012 at 11:21 PM

toast.

sesquipedalian on September 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM

WOW… you really think a majority of voters are going to be upset about Romney statement that you quoted? You are really delusional…

mnjg on September 17, 2012 at 11:22 PM

sesquipedalian on September 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I’m curious…

… Since 100% of what Team Romney said is true, what is the problem?

Seven Percent Solution on September 17, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Excellent Point! *clink!*

Bmore on September 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Allow me to include my “clink”

ccrosby on September 17, 2012 at 11:22 PM

texgal on September 17, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Welcome, fellow Texan!

You run over *that* one, and I’ll run over *this* one, deal? :)

Midas on September 17, 2012 at 11:22 PM

toast.

sesquipedalian on September 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Well, at least his parents paid for it, not me. See I don’t care if someone’s rich. I would love to be rich. But two things, my parents didn’t have either the drive or the ability to become rich. And I am just plain not driven enough to do it on my own. So if someone, whether it’s Romney or a Kennedy or a movie star or a football player either had family who were able to do that or who were driven and determined enough to do it on their own…well good for them.
As for those who simply don’t want to try or can’t or are lazy or incapable, hey they’re not alone, I’m right there with them. So quit blaming the rich for our own short-comings or bad luck or whatever.

Deanna on September 17, 2012 at 11:23 PM

libfreeordie on September 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Yawwwwwwwn . . . . . zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

listens2glenn on September 17, 2012 at 11:24 PM

susandiane311 on September 17, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Many of them think that they are part of the 53% who are not paying taxes and think that 47% are living on their expense… No matter how look at it this is a huge win for Romney despite what Obama and his media would say…

mnjg on September 17, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Romney had better figure out that the press is sooooooooooooooooo pro-Obama they will take any statement and blow it up. He won’t be “on message” from now until the election if he doesn’t stay away from the sycophant press. I don’t remember Obama holding a news conference for his “bitter clinger” comments (of course they would have asked him how his feet were doing). This press is in the tank, don’t tick them off, but don’t play to them either. They are not, and will never be, on your side. They’re not even on the side of the country.

bflat879 on September 17, 2012 at 11:25 PM

mnjg on September 17, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Sorry I meant they think that they are part of the 53% which pay taxes…

mnjg on September 17, 2012 at 11:25 PM

For all of the Left’s boasting as if they’ve found the Holy Grail, they may have…….just for Romney.

Tater Salad on September 17, 2012 at 11:26 PM

toast.

sesquipedalian on September 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Toast my ass…he gave away his inheritance and made his own money..

Now Obama had a lot of help from the same people who sent him to that expensive private school in Hawaii.

BTW, trapping people in welfare is not the same thing as giving them a future.

Terrye on September 17, 2012 at 11:26 PM

– President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, State of the Union speech, 1935

Resist We Much on September 17, 2012 at 8:40 PM

FDR wasn’t waving his middle finger to half the country during a close election in that address.

Axe on September 17, 2012 at 9:06 PM

That wasn’t the point of my post. I was just demonstrating how Democrats used to think that welfare destroyed the human spirit and self-respect, along with acting like a narcotic.

Now, pour yourself a drink. I like you better when you drunk-post. ~~wink, wink~~

Resist We Much on September 17, 2012 at 11:26 PM

mnjg on September 17, 2012 at 11:22 PM

to be fair, he never really had a chance win.

sesquipedalian on September 17, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Just concentrate on getting the fine folks at Morehouse straight, will ya?

Bmore on September 17, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Morehouse is a third rate school with a fourth rate faculty.

bayview on September 17, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Obama is THAT bad.

BettyRuth on September 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Haha…I can see a trending topic on twitter.

monalisa on September 17, 2012 at 11:27 PM

In 2010, HuffPo said…

naleph on September 17, 2012 at 11:27 PM

I have to say that I am surprised at your reaction guys. Maybe it’s me, and if it is, forgive me.

You really think this is something in the middle will go for? That’s who they are going for no?

1) So now the hope is that seniors, and all the “Julias” (lol) don’t realize that Romney is talking about them…when he is? Isn’t that a low-informed voter that you decry when you see polls going for O?

2) Romney said all Obama voters are dependent on the Government

and

” I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives. “

Behind closed doors,fine…TERRIBLE DELIVERY FOR THE PUBLIC’S EARS

I’m not saying he’s toast, but imagine the adds, without the bigger context…and oh, the debate should be fun. Again, this is the guy who pays 13% on income tax vs the majority of the 47% who are paying at least 15% on payroll…and oh, he won’t tell you how much he paid before that. If you had to chose, would want to be in this position in mid september?

Someone else said it best earlier: The boo rah rah from the base is only energizing the other side.

Fire away!

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 17, 2012 at 11:27 PM

libfreeordie on September 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Excellent concern trolling. Where are you operating from?

rickyricardo on September 17, 2012 at 11:29 PM

sesquipedalian on September 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM

A good deal of nerve, indeed.

How much did he inherit from his parents?

I haven’t heard a number, yet. So, if any of you have that, kindly pass it on.

listens2glenn on September 17, 2012 at 11:29 PM

libfreeordie on September 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM

I guess it depends on your perspective. I thought he looked pretty good myself.

Imagine Obama explaining to people why he can not deliver on his promises because he was feeding them a line of crap to get their vote..

But then sociopaths rarely look nervous.

Terrye on September 17, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Catching up on Greta, and I’m torn:

New Secy of State – John Bolton or Liz Cheney.

I’m happy either way…

ccrosby on September 17, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I watched the press conference and I think Romney did OK. He seemed like he was wavering a bit trying to cast it as a statement about winning independents and shuffling away from the problem of dependency. I can understand why he would want to do that, but the press isn’t going to let him. He will be forced to stand by what he said or disavow it. They are like junk yard dogs.

He will be forced to stand with this sentiment or walk away and I really hope he stands by it. This is something that needs to be brought out into the open and for people to decide which way they want to go.

sharrukin on September 17, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Lets see. Mitt makes a comment about terrorist attack.media outrage happens.

gets to have a 20 minute news conference zapping Obama. covered by all networks.

Makes another comment about the 47 percent.

gets to have a news conference covered by all reporters. gets to criticize Obama for 20 minutes with plenty of press coverage.

I’m sensing a GAMEPLAN here.

gerry

gerrym51 on September 17, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Hey now, how come Fox News is burying this AWESOME MITTENS story wayyyyyyy down near the bottom of the front page?

Stories at the top of the front page of foxnews.com that Fox thinks are more important:

-Inmate Makes Case He’s Too Obese for Execution

-Man dies with $200 in bank, $7M in gold hidden

-Florida family faces fines for hosting weekly bible study

-Pennsylvania city considers dog ban in downtown

How come Fox thinks this story is so toxic?

Dave Rywall on September 17, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Well they are saying Mitt lost the election today. I thought they said he lost the election last week? Oh, and when some new material comes out he will lose the election that week…

sandee on September 17, 2012 at 11:31 PM

How much did he inherit from his parents?

listens2glenn on September 17, 2012 at 11:29 PM

he inherited his elite status that made his wealth possible in the first place.

sesquipedalian on September 17, 2012 at 11:32 PM

BTW, trapping people in welfare is not the same thing as giving them a future.

Terrye on September 17, 2012 at 11:26 PM

My sister is living proof of that. Every time she started to work her way up a bit, they undermined her by cutting one or another of her benefits off until she succumbed to falling back into the welfare trap. Her fault, her failure, but it certainly did make it hard to get out of. You cannot save anything, anything at all. So you must get out and stand on your own two feet almost immediately. Most people cannot do that when they have no past work experience and the poor work ethic that comes from having been in the system for very long.

astonerii on September 17, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Resist We Much on September 17, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Well, I know that, Resist We Much — but I was fighting my own points at the time. I made a point using the material you were using for your point.

It’s called CONSERVATION — duh.

And only Lanceman drunk-posts. :) All my insane crap comes from a natural high. Heh. I dare not do intoxicants.

Axe on September 17, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Barack Obama knows that we are not a nation of victims,asthe budget deficit and debt problems are so large now that there isn’t enough to pay for the truly needy, so any hanger-ons can’t expect to get anything.

J_Crater on September 17, 2012 at 11:33 PM

libfreeordie on September 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Oh please what else would you have said. blow me.

CW on September 17, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Come, come, now. You’re supposed to be disheartened by liveasaslaveanddie’s “astute analysis“. Aren’t you disheartened? LOL :)

Solaratov on September 17, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Just tuning in so if this has been said, it’s going to be said again here: Romney’s press conference was an embarrassment. And if he really believes what he said at that private “off-the-record” fundraiser: that the 47% of people who do not pay federal income taxes LIKE being dependent on government, he is sadly out of touch. We are retired and paid a big whopping federal tax — before the Obama presidency. We still pay state tax and property tax and would even like paying federal tax again, once our retirement accounts rise high enough to provide us a decent income. There are many more like us among that 47%.

I will vote for Romney because I know he can do the job that is necessary after the complete mess Obama has made AND we cannot survive 4 more years of this. But Romney needs to take a quick course from the Ronald Reagan School of Press Management or the despicable msm is going to crucify him and he will never rise again. If Reagan had called a press conference at all, he would’ve walked out there, explained himself quietly, strongly and succinctly, and said thank you, goodnight.

winfield on September 17, 2012 at 11:33 PM

the left is going to spin this to look like Mitt is attacking the elderly, where, those of us with more then one brain cell understand he is talking about the useless eaters who steal our labor so they can do nothing to contribute to society, but in turn scream how oppressed they are. It’s so fun to watch the screaming meemies heads explode. Mitt is the Dude :)

nwpammy on September 17, 2012 at 11:33 PM

verbaluce on September 17, 2012 at 10:52 PM

We all look to Brooks as a man of the people! Actually, only leftists pay attention to him. Try again.

sesquipedalian on September 17, 2012 at 10:57 PM

He’s more effective dead than Obama is alive! Good times will be on election night when your fallen leader cries on national TV! Hope you will stop by…..

Night Owl on September 17, 2012 at 11:33 PM