Beyond “traditional” marriage … to traditional values

posted at 4:16 pm on September 16, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

I’ve known Steven Crowder for a few years now, and he’s a regular on my daily Internet show — providing laughs, a sharp perspective, and no small measure of controversial statements, just as he does in his videos and Fox News appearances.  Steven’s an outspoken Christian, and argues for living life by those values for the purpose of being authentically Christian, as well as being an example to the world.  Needless to say, Steven gets a lot of criticism for his perspective and his arguments, but he has not yet been deflected from his principles.

A few years ago at CPAC, I met Steven’s then-girlfriend and now wife, a lovely young woman who is (as all wives are, as my own wife will attest) far too good for her husband, but she married Steven anyway three weeks ago.  We wanted to attend the wedding, since we had the honor of knowing them and even taking them out for breakfast the day after their engagement — joined by Dana and Chris Loesch, actually — but my back surgery kept me grounded.  We missed one heck of a party, but as Steven writes, we missed a very special wedding, too.  Steven and his wife insisted on a courtship and wedding based on their Christian values, and on Friday Steven took a hilarious victory lap in his column for Fox News.

Be sure to read it all, but the most interesting part of the column came from this anecdote that puts their effort into serious perspective:

As my wife (again, still not used to that) and I ate breakfast at a local inn, we discussed how excited we were to start the rest of our lives together, how scary it was that everything was now so different. At the same time, we overheard the table next to us discussing their very own wedding from the night prior. What a coincidence!

“The thing is, nothing’s really changed,” the bride said.

Puzzled, my wife asked, “Did you get married last night too? So did we!”

“Congratulations!” the other dame said. “Yeah we did, just last night.”

“Where’s the groom?” my wife innocently… scratch that, naively asked.

“Oh, he’s sleeping. There was no way he was coming out with me this morning!” She paused and smirked. “Let’s just say that he’s got a lingering headache from a really good time last night.”

My heart sank. Firstly, that poor schmuck’s “good time” was simply getting snookered. Not enjoying the company of close family and long-lost friends with a clear head and clean conscience, not staring in awe at his beautiful new wife, wanting to soak in every glimmer of her eyes as she shot him heart-racing looks from across the dance floor, not taking all of the cheesy pictures as they cut the cake, not even carrying her across that suite threshold as they nervously anticipated their “nightcap.” He probably won’t remember any of it. Instead, he got smashed. He was “that guy”… at his own freaking wedding.

The people next to us that morning? Well, theirs was just one big party.  And the morning after? Just another hangover.

Our “weddings” were the same event in name only. They know it, and we know it.

It’s not easy to always live your life according to your religious principles.  I’ve been tested many times, and I’ve failed more often than I’d like to admit outside of a confessional.  There are moments that count more than most others, though, where faith and resolve get severely tested, and eventually one discovers that prayer is absolutely essential for the strength needed to prevail.  I know Steven and his wife are a prayerful couple, and I know that gave them strength for their journey.

I find this an intriguing column, not just because Steven’s a good friend and the column was funny.  In some states, including my own, we’re debating the legal definition of marriage, which is a fair debate over a government policy that should be resolved by the people and not a judge in a courtroom.  But we should set aside the politics from time to time to reflect on the institution of matrimony and the path that leads us there.  Does giving in to the temptations of the world help or hinder us?  Should we not be cheering the Crowders for walking the narrow path and giving testimony to their values, or is it easier to cheer those who stumble because it lets us off the hook for our own shortcomings?  And what is lost to us in that transaction that the Crowders have found?  It’s easy to laugh at the virgins and the committed Christians for being hopelessly unhip and square, but perhaps not so easy to see how those kind of values clarify the other issues under debate.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Twice over actually

blatantblue on September 16, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Nothing against Mr. Crowder, but marriages usually don’t last that long these days. I say we celebrate his ‘traditional values’ when he’s made it at least 5 years, because such a feat these days is less common than not. Getting married is easy. Anyone can get married and claim ‘traditional values’, but the truth is, most marriages don’t last.

Corporal Tunnel on September 16, 2012 at 7:56 PM

the truth is, most marriages don’t last.

Corporal Tunnel on September 16, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Too true, too true. If only we knew why!

squint on September 16, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I have feelings, dammit! Anger, disgust, disbelief…

MadisonConservative on September 16, 2012 at 7:53 PM

….contempt…LOL :D

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Most people can’t.

blatantblue on September 16, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Horse dung! You are buying into the garbage spewed by the promoters of sex education. Most people certainly can, they just don’t. Look at the comments in this thread alone and see how many did. We are not animals in heat. We are human beings created with the dignity given us by God when He created us in His image. Unlike animals, we should have control over our passions, not vice versa. If you choose not to wait, that is your prerogative, but it isn’t because you couldn’t.

pannw on September 16, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Corporal Tunnel on September 16, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Promiscuity, no-fault divorce, paying the bills for single mothers, societal contempt for men, and denigration of motherhood may have a lot to do with it.

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 8:01 PM

If I ever do get married to my sweetheart, I hope that the first day of being officially married is not marred by wasting time condemning others for faults I perceive in them.

kc-anathema on September 16, 2012 at 8:01 PM

pannw on September 16, 2012 at 8:00 PM

“Can’t” was the wrong choice of a word. I agree with what you posted.

Most people FAIL

That work? :P

blatantblue on September 16, 2012 at 8:01 PM

As a supporter I read it hoping to see happiness and what I saw was anger. Unfortunately, I can’t unread it. Now I just feel sad because all it should be about is the lovely woman he married, not that he “won”.

kim roy on September 16, 2012 at 7:47 PM

You are entitled to be as irrational as you like, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with pointing out that being too hungover for breakfast on the first day of your married life is screwed up.

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Irrational? Wow. No wonder the couple in your other comment were offended. You cannot construct a response without coming off rude.

I never mentioned the other couple as it was never the basis of my comments. Why are you building a strawman? I think you should take the time to actually read the words of my comment before you respond.

But let’s go to the article and check on some word choices of Mr. Crowder’s:
- We did it right. Feeling judged? I couldn’t care less.
- floozies they ultimately were
- fickle manhood tied to their pathetic sexual conquests, felt threatened.
- not to gloat (though I’ll be glad to)
- I know everybody says that their bride was the “most beautiful in the world.” They’re wrong. I win.
- poor schmuck’s “good time” was simply getting snookered (MY NOTE: WHICH WE DON’T KNOW FOR SURE, DO WE? ASSUMPTION)
- Our “weddings” were the same event in name only. They know it, and we know it.
- live-in harlot/mimbo
- Oops. Did I just make a “judgment?” You’re darn right I did.

So I’m irrational at feeling a little sad at the word choices above? This is a man happy? Okay. If you say so.

kim roy on September 16, 2012 at 8:02 PM

kc-anathema on September 16, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Marred?

His marriage has now been marred by this sordid little incident?

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I ran into the same thing in a less dramatic way when I got rid of my TV. The reactions were of a strangely negative moral tone.

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Just tell them that you got sick of the voices you were hearing after you turned it off. That usually shuts them up. ;)

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 8:03 PM

kim roy on September 16, 2012 at 8:02 PM

So, just to be clear: you’re condemning him for being judgmental, right?

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 8:05 PM

pannw on September 16, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Nicely put.

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 8:06 PM

kim roy on September 16, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Though its more in sadness than anger. Right?

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 8:06 PM

a capella on September 16, 2012 at 7:48 PM

LOL! It is easy to be confident three weeks into what I hope is a long long learning curve. May they learn together and be stronger for it.

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 8:07 PM

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 8:03 PM

LOL

That sounds like good advice.

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 8:07 PM

kim roy on September 16, 2012 at 8:02 PM

So, just to be clear: you’re condemning him for being judgmental, right?

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Sad = condemn? Try being honest and I’ll try answering.

kim roy on September 16, 2012 at 8:07 PM

kim roy on September 16, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Though its more in sadness than anger. Right?

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Yes. Here is a man who took a lot of hits to stay a virgin. He finds what he believes to be the perfect woman and he marries her.

This is the article he writes, with those word choices? Yet he managed to write this:

“Then I realized something. Our wedding was truly a once in a lifetime event. It was a God’s-honest celebration of two completely separate lives now becoming one. Physically, emotionally, financially and spiritually, everything that made us who we were individually was becoming what bonded us together. Our family traveled from far and wide to celebrate the decision of two young people to truly commit themselves to each other, and selflessly give themselves to one another in a way that they never had before that very night.”

That is stunning and a testament to his beliefs, wife and family. He ruined that beauty with the rest of his words.

So yes, sadness.

kim roy on September 16, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Sad = condemn? Try being honest and I’ll try answering.

kim roy on September 16, 2012 at 8:07 PM

You said he was “narrow-minded” and that his article was “nasty, angry stuff.” I’m sorry I interpreted that as condemnatory. How could I have been so silly? If you go back to his words, what he actually says his that his “heart sank” and then he goes on to describe what his own wedding day meant to him and that he is sorry if the other couples’ was not as special to them. Why don’t you read it again?

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Crowder clearly had a little extra spring in his step on TEMS last week.

forest on September 16, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Crowder clearly had a little extra spring in his step on TEMS last week.

forest on September 16, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Apparently he gets a thrill from making fun of people on their honeymoons./

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Sad = condemn? Try being honest and I’ll try answering.

kim roy on September 16, 2012 at 8:07 PM

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 8:14 PM

~~~~~~~~~~

He sounded a tad “concern troll-y” to me.

ellifint on September 16, 2012 at 8:20 PM

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 8:14 PM

It was stating a fact. The quote I used the words “nasty, angry stuff” for was nasty, angry stuff. Do you think it was friendly and nice? I don’t.

I haven’t spoke about the couple because we don’t know what happened – only his interpretation and I tend not to get involved in heresy.

I’m talking about his tone and word choice. That’s all.

kim roy on September 16, 2012 at 8:21 PM

kim roy on September 16, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Heresy?

Do we need to break out the ‘Comfy Chair’ here?

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Where are the temptations?

When the most beautiful woman you’ve ever met demands a ring before, well, whatever, and you’re not Warren Beatty and you don’t pal around with Charlie Sheen, there are no temptations.

You are a POW. The war is over for you.

Seth Halpern on September 16, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I’m talking about his tone and word choice. That’s all.

kim roy on September 16, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Oh. So you were making a judgment based on how it seemed to you? Got it.

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Though its more in sadness than anger. Right?

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 8:06 PM

My bad, I thought conservatism was about personal liberty, not snidely judging everyone else who doesn’t meet our ideal of a perfect Christian life.

Good Solid B-Plus on September 16, 2012 at 8:28 PM

kim roy on September 16, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Heresy?

Do we need to break out the ‘Comfy Chair’ here?

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Why? Does the irrelevant strawman (to my argument and the one trying to be set up here) need one?

How come you don’t want to talk about his word choices, tone and his admitted act of being judgmental and not caring?

That’s okay. We have other things to worry about, like Obama’s encouraging the ME to burn.

kim roy on September 16, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I’m talking about his tone and word choice. That’s all.

kim roy on September 16, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Oh. So you were making a judgment based on how it seemed to you? Got it.

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Actually, the man himself stated it. He was more than happy to be judgmental and didn’t care. He seemed really pleased with himself, too.

YMMV, of course. If opinions are still welcome here.

kim roy on September 16, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on September 16, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Whats wrong with judging people?

I know the welfare state is constantly telling us that we should never judge those folks who live on the dole, or burn embassies but not being a Christian I choose to make such judgments.

I will also repeat regarding liberties…

Others are required to pick up the tab for out of wedlock mothers, divorced women, foodstamps, makework jobs supplied by the government, children growing up in dysfunctional circumstances and men who are just fine with X-box and a bachelor pad, not putting much effort into contributing to a society that won’t rewards that effort.

I think we have a duty to judge the behavior of others.

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 8:34 PM

YMMV, of course. If opinions are still welcome here.
kim roy on September 16, 2012 at 8:31 PM

LOL!!!!!!

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I think we have a duty to judge the behavior of others.

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I hope you know that I am being sincere when I say this: I love you, Loretta.

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I am fine with his being judgmental. It means he has a moral code and believes that something is more important than himself.

kim roy on September 16, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Are you judging Obama and the Muslims engaging in embassy burnings?

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I hope you know that I am being sincere when I say this: I love you, Loretta.

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 8:35 PM

In a totally above board, pre-marital, platonic sense.

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 8:37 PM

In a totally above board, pre-marital, platonic sense.

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Well, okay. :D

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on September 16, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Everybody judges, Obama sucks. And I’m going to judge him again in the voting booth in November.

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I think we have a duty to judge the behavior of others.

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I don’t. I may judge people, but I certainly don’t consider it to be some sort of civic duty.

Condescension is an ugly look, whether it comes from one of our elitist trolls or a So-Con comedian who seems a bit too eager to spike the football.

Good Solid B-Plus on September 16, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 8:41 PM

True, but some of us do it in hushed tones, while some scream it from the rooftops.

Good Solid B-Plus on September 16, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Congrats to Mr. and Mrs. Crowder – off to a tremendous start! That way lies more successful marriages than not.

Midas on September 16, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on September 16, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Well then you have done your part in creating the libertine society that surrounds us.

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on September 16, 2012 at 8:44 PM

One can be ‘judgmental’ and discerning in a public setting without being ‘condescending’.

And if more people looked upon it as a civic duty, we might have fewer ‘civic’ issues to deal with at the moment, frankly.

Midas on September 16, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Apparently he gets a thrill from making fun of people on their honeymoons./

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Apparently you have poor reading comprehension skills. Or maybe something Mr. Crowder wrote hit a bit close to home, eh? Hit a nerve that required a knee-jerk reaction mischaracterizing his commentary in a negative way in order to make yourself feel better?

Then again, the simpler answer is simply your poor reading comprehension skills.

Midas on September 16, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Apparently he gets a thrill from making fun of people on their honeymoons./

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Midas on September 16, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Sarcasm tag.

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 8:53 PM

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Cool story, bro.

It’s funny that so-cons and progressives are always clawing at each other’s throats, when they have so much in common.

Midas on September 16, 2012 at 8:48 PM

You might want to give Crowder some lessons, then, because he missed the mark by quite a bit.

Good Solid B-Plus on September 16, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Midas on September 16, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Sayeth the man who doesn’t know what a sarc tag looks like.

Good Solid B-Plus on September 16, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on September 16, 2012 at 8:55 PM

You liberals are the most insufferable and judgmental folks around. You reserve that judgment for anyone who tries to tell you that your petty wants and desires are not the be all and end of society.

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Congratulation, Steven! I would spike the football too if I had the strength, courage and persistence to do it not do it. My life would be sooo much better now.

HellCat on September 16, 2012 at 9:01 PM

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 8:59 PM

This thread is boring now. QOTD is already past 100!

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Give the guy a break. Think about it. What has happened to him in the last three weeks that may have made him decide to throw caution to the wind. Was it the greatest thing since sliced bread? I bet he thinks so. And worth the wait.

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 9:02 PM

People judge everyone all the time no matter what they do or don’t do. Meh.

VerbumSap on September 16, 2012 at 9:03 PM

And worth the wait.

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Of course a real show of intestinal fortitude would be to remain celibate after marriage, but I guess the guy is only human after all…

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 9:09 PM

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I agree. For the record, my wife and I have been happily married 18 years and respectively, it’s our first marriage. Marriage is also hard work. We’ve worked hard on ours. If you don’t work on it, it won’t last.

Corporal Tunnel on September 16, 2012 at 9:13 PM

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 8:59 PM

No, my petty wants and desires are none of your business, nor are they the business of the government. I’m not the one who wants to dictate to other people how to live their lives.

Like I said, so-cons and progressive both want to control other people, they just do so for different ends.

If my neighbor chooses to bed loose women and drink all day, it’s not my business. Saying that I should intervene because I might incur some minor cost in the aggregate due to the decisions of other people is the same thought process that gets us to “you didn’t build that” because my business happens to move goods on roads that were once paved with tax dollars that didn’t come straight from my pocket.

By the way, how has judging and communal shaming done at curbing our obesity problems in this country?

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 9:02 PM

So why not afford that same courtesy to the other couple he met? Instead he assumes the worst about his fellow groom, and insists that his marriage is automatically “lesser.” Not even a real marriage, in fact!

I assume Steven would have also shaken his judgmental finger at the marriage of my parents. After all, my father had the temerity to indulge in a fine bottle of champagne, and their marriage was blessed by a Rabbi, not the divine presence of Jesus himself as shown through the beneficent face of the most pious Crowder. ;)

Good Solid B-Plus on September 16, 2012 at 9:13 PM

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 9:09 PM

And when the children come along he will complain that he is celibate but under protest.

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on September 16, 2012 at 9:13 PM

He just wishes everyone could feel as good as he does. Whether they want to or not.

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Corporal Tunnel on September 16, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Any relationship takes work and that is something that people aren’t being told. Instead they imagine a romance novel in action and when life doesn’t deliver on that they think they are justified in walking away in a fruitless quest for what cannot exist.

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Riiight. I’ll bet he was all stressed-out over the wedding plans. Sure.

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Dozens of decisions. None of which the groom gets to make, all of which he’s accountable for. Perfection is the bride’s expectation. I recall the day as stressful and a relief when we were finally done with the biggest party we’ve yet had to host.

dedalus on September 16, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on September 16, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Yes you are. You want to dictate that leftists dominate society when welfare dependents, single mothers and others vote for the daddy they booted from their family. And there is always some political group willing to cash in on that groups voting pattern.

Someone has to take care of them and if families are broken due to the libertine society you back, then those people will vote a living from the public purse.

They aren’t going to vote for going hungry, are they genius?

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 9:15 PM

That’s great, but the way he did it was lacking grace.

I spent a good deal of my life being overweight. Like Mr. Crowder, when I told people I was going to change, I was received with mostly naysayers. I won’t say that people want you to fail, but they expect it.

Anyway, I’m currently healthier than I’ve ever been. Should I go up to obese people and gloat to them? Tell them that they’re lesser, that they aren’t as strong as I was, that I won and they lost?

Hell, not only should I, according to some of you, it’s my duty. Group shaming as public policy.

Good Solid B-Plus on September 16, 2012 at 9:24 PM

They aren’t going to vote for going hungry, are they genius?

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I don’t back any society, except for the one where people are free to make their own decisions, not dictated to from Washington or the pulpit.

Good Solid B-Plus on September 16, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Personally, I don’t find Crowder that amusing. But I like him, and I happen to admire his morality. I am not, however, willing to make it a cause celebre.

In fact, it’s a little off-putting, in this day and age.

Surely there are more important things for us here to talk about than Crowder’s virginity. No?

petefrt on September 16, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on September 16, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Except that’s not what he did. He wrote in an article that he wishes everyone could experience the happiness that he has and contrasted his morning after with that of an anonymous couple. Maybe it is your duty to share with the world how much better you feel when you are in shape and at a healthy weight. Maybe you should describe how bad you feel for people struggling to get through their day because they are so heavy and out of shape. Because that is the equivalent to what he wrote.

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on September 16, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I don’t even read the column as some of y’all do. I think this must be an eye of the beholder thing.

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on September 16, 2012 at 9:30 PM

You support the conditions that make dictates from Washington inevitable.

You want ‘fried ice’ and it doesn’t exist.

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 9:34 PM

petefrt on September 16, 2012 at 9:33 PM

The only thing that he has done that made me laugh out loud was his Mohammad bit. I loved that.

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 9:35 PM

You want ‘fried ice’ and it doesn’t exist.

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 9:34 PM

You’ve never had fried ice cream?

MadisonConservative on September 16, 2012 at 9:36 PM

He just wishes everyone could feel as good as he does.

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 9:15 PM

They do. He’s just brainwashed into believing his religion makes his decision superior.

Go RBNY on September 16, 2012 at 9:37 PM

You’ve never had fried ice cream?

MadisonConservative on September 16, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Nope.

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 9:40 PM

So, is Steven still married?

Bmore on September 16, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Bmore on September 16, 2012 at 9:41 PM

LOL! I think he’s still glowing!!!

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Go RBNY on September 16, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Maybe he was waterboarded!

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Yeah, he’s alright, but not much funny, IMHO. But then again, not many of todays comics are, are they?

One thing’s for sure, we need more mockery and more clever derisive humor from our side. This is a deadly weapon and we are sadly lacking there.

petefrt on September 16, 2012 at 9:45 PM

petefrt on September 16, 2012 at 9:45 PM

There’s some good stuff out there (on the net), but not enough people on our side know where to find it or what to do with it when they do.

Go RBNY on September 16, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Nope.

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 9:40 PM

You’re missing out.

MadisonConservative on September 16, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Funny, if this article had been written by a vegan extolling his or her choice as superior and other choices as wrong, the meat eaters here would just shrug the article off. The subject of the Crowders’ choice must make people feel guilty, or else the reactions from some of the people here wouldn’t be so negative.

Rose on September 16, 2012 at 9:54 PM

You’re missing out.

MadisonConservative on September 16, 2012 at 9:50 PM

So its a cake with ice cream inside. What kind of batter is used where you tried it?

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 9:54 PM

petefrt on September 16, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Yep. I like Gutfeld and Levy but not many people are up at 3 a.m.. This is when you miss Breitbart. I like AlfonZo Rachel over at P.J. TV. I could stand to see a lot more of him.

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Go RBNY on September 16, 2012 at 9:49 PM

True, sites like Twitchy, Iowahawk and Scrappleface, and we need to spread it around, by Tweets, Facebook and elsewhere.

Oh, and my favorite, THE PEOPLE’s CUBE. The very best for satire and fun.

petefrt on September 16, 2012 at 9:58 PM

If this is “witnessing,” it’s crap witnessing, and more immaturity than anything else

I wish him every happiness, and HIS happiness might depend upon living according to his principles. Bully for that. And may he never have a moment’s self-doubt on doing that.

He’s wrong about other people’s happiness depends upon them living according to formula. He’s wrong about the traditional order things have been done in male-female relationships too.

I suggest he read “The Road to Divorce” if he wants a grasp of western marriage ways.

SarahW on September 16, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Congrats to the Crowders, and thank you for being a fantastic example to young couples everywhere. God bless you both!

Bob's Kid on September 16, 2012 at 10:20 PM

All of you atheist libertarians are judged … JUDGED … JUDGED, I say ! ! !

listens2glenn on September 16, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Abstinance is overrated. There’s PLENTY of time for that AFTER the wedding.

Laura in Maryland on September 16, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Is that supposed to be a compliment? If men cannot respect themselves, don’t be suprised when women will not respect you either.

NeverLiberal on September 16, 2012 at 10:28 PM

SarahW on September 16, 2012 at 10:19 PM

He’s not living according to a “formula”.

I didn’t see any description of “the traditional order things have been done in male-female relationships”, so you’ll have to expound on that.

listens2glenn on September 16, 2012 at 10:28 PM

excerpt: Ed Morrisey

NeverLiberal
on September 16, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I’m pretty sure it was said “in jest”, but maybe I’m just “glossing over”.

listens2glenn on September 16, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I’m pretty sure it was said “in jest”, but maybe I’m just “glossing over”.

listens2glenn on September 16, 2012 at 10:31 PM

The 21st century western male is just a big joke. We went from “Father Knows Best” to “Married With Children” in two generations. Make the reverse statment about wives and see how humorous most women find it.

NeverLiberal on September 16, 2012 at 10:54 PM

LOL! I think he’s still glowing!!!

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Well the thread did get more pages than I had thought it would. ; ) Just thought I should check.

Bmore on September 16, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Abstinance is overrated. There’s PLENTY of time for that AFTER the wedding.

Laura in Maryland on September 16, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Lol! ; )

Bmore on September 16, 2012 at 10:56 PM

listens2glenn on September 16, 2012 at 10:31 PM

NeverLiberal on September 16, 2012 at 10:54 PM

That, I can grasp.

I don’t believe Ed was truly demeaning himself or Steven, but that’s just my perception.

Perception is always subject to “the eye of the beholder”.

listens2glenn on September 16, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Look at all the pathetic illiberals with poopy diapers in this topic. They’ve nothing good to say at all. worthless sacks.

rayra on September 17, 2012 at 12:07 AM

A few years ago at CPAC, I met Steven’s then-girlfriend and now wife, a lovely young woman who is (as all wives are, as my own wife will attest) far too good for her husband, but she married Steven anyway three weeks ago. We wanted to attend the wedding, since we had the honor of knowing them and even taking them out for breakfast the day after their engagement — joined by Dana and Chris Loesch, actually — but my back surgery kept me grounded. We missed one heck of a party, but as Steven writes, we missed a very special wedding, too. Steven and his wife insisted on a courtship and wedding based on their Christian values
Captain Ed

Congratulations!!!

This is a wonderful story.

Ephesians 5:25

ColtsFan on September 17, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Go RBNY on September 16, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Oh, and my favorite, THE PEOPLE’s CUBE. The very best for satire and fun.

petefrt on September 16, 2012 at 9:58 PM

People’s Cube is decent. Try thelookingspoon, lmaobama, quickmeme, and don’t be afraid of /pol/ on 4chan, it’s a lot of libtards but there’s also plenty of righties with fresh memes and they are brutal.

Twitter and Facebook is cool if you aren’t just preaching to the choir. Make Twitter troll accounts and spam the hashtags of popular TV shows, most shows display their # on screen. You’ll get lots of ppl who don’t normally follow politics. You’ll get negative replies too but you don’t care bc it’s a troll acct anyway. Local news station websites are excellent for Facebook trolling/mobying.

Don’t get into debates. We don’t need to make Romney voters, we need just need to repress Obama voters.

Go RBNY on September 17, 2012 at 12:21 AM

And Crowder is not setting up a double standard, either. He remained chaste before marriage, too, just like his fiancee. You obviously have no idea how much ridicule, disdain and mockery he was treated with for having the courage to admit publicly that he was waiting for marriage. As Ed said, this is his “victory lap.” If you don’t like it, you don’t have to read about it.

cynccook on September 16, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Exactly — this is just how I read it. If he sounds just a tad too braggy (he’s in his early 20s for goodness’ sake) I’m going to cut him some slack.

It’s finally having reached the finish line (it’s much, much harder for the average man to wait for marriage than for the average woman) combined with remembering all the thousands of people who even now stand on the sidelines jeering, laughing, mocking and throwing tomatoes: “you’re ridiculous and besides you’ll never make it!” Well, he did. How do you like them apples, naysayers? (link NSFW)

inviolet on September 17, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Finish line? Surely you jest. He just pulled up to the starting gate.

Xasprtr on September 17, 2012 at 12:59 AM

inish line? Surely you jest. He just pulled up to the starting gate.

Xasprtr on September 17, 2012 at 12:59 AM

You’re absolutely right, of course, re: his whole marriage. What I meant was the separate issue of “having sex before marriage” about which Steven has written and spoken, and that (waiting to have sex) was what he got endlessly mocked and ridiculed for, not for wanting to get married. Sorry that that was unclear.

inviolet on September 17, 2012 at 1:13 AM

the truth is, most marriages don’t last.

Corporal Tunnel on September 16, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Too true, too true. If only we knew why!

squint on September 16, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Squint, just read some of the comments on this thread. The harping, nit-picking, and arguing for argument’s sake when they just could be happy for the guy and leave it at that; are all some pretty good examples as to why most marriages don’t last anymore.
Wow. I mean, looking at it, you’d think some of these posters were married to each other.

Sterling Holobyte on September 17, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Most first marriages do last. It’s the people that get married and divorced 5 times that mess up the statistics.

happytobehere on September 17, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Corporal Tunnel on September 16, 2012 at 7:56 PM

We hit 10 years in November. My second-his first…our LAST.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 17, 2012 at 1:41 AM

I totally agree with Sheryl, libfreeordie and Kim Roy.

bluegill on September 16, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Why does this not surprise me?

You’re all reading into it what isn’t there. Namely, you assume condescension and judgment against the other couple.

I know exactly where he’s coming from. There are plenty of people out there who assume a couple that aren’t sexually active before marriage must be religious kooks. They get a little mild pushback from someone who says, “We did it the right way, and it’s better this way,” and the putdowns start all over again.

For those who don’t start out right, it’s more important how you end than how you begin. I have known people with failed first marriages who went on to solid second marriages because they learned from their failures in the first marriage. Good for them.

But a good start is better.

There Goes The Neighborhood on September 17, 2012 at 1:55 AM

the truth is, most marriages don’t last.

Corporal Tunnel on September 16, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Too true, too true. If only we knew why!

squint on September 16, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Really? Look around you.

I’d say a good half of Americans out there are selfish and have no problem walking over their fellow Man to get what they want.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 17, 2012 at 2:05 AM