Beyond “traditional” marriage … to traditional values

posted at 4:16 pm on September 16, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

I’ve known Steven Crowder for a few years now, and he’s a regular on my daily Internet show — providing laughs, a sharp perspective, and no small measure of controversial statements, just as he does in his videos and Fox News appearances.  Steven’s an outspoken Christian, and argues for living life by those values for the purpose of being authentically Christian, as well as being an example to the world.  Needless to say, Steven gets a lot of criticism for his perspective and his arguments, but he has not yet been deflected from his principles.

A few years ago at CPAC, I met Steven’s then-girlfriend and now wife, a lovely young woman who is (as all wives are, as my own wife will attest) far too good for her husband, but she married Steven anyway three weeks ago.  We wanted to attend the wedding, since we had the honor of knowing them and even taking them out for breakfast the day after their engagement — joined by Dana and Chris Loesch, actually — but my back surgery kept me grounded.  We missed one heck of a party, but as Steven writes, we missed a very special wedding, too.  Steven and his wife insisted on a courtship and wedding based on their Christian values, and on Friday Steven took a hilarious victory lap in his column for Fox News.

Be sure to read it all, but the most interesting part of the column came from this anecdote that puts their effort into serious perspective:

As my wife (again, still not used to that) and I ate breakfast at a local inn, we discussed how excited we were to start the rest of our lives together, how scary it was that everything was now so different. At the same time, we overheard the table next to us discussing their very own wedding from the night prior. What a coincidence!

“The thing is, nothing’s really changed,” the bride said.

Puzzled, my wife asked, “Did you get married last night too? So did we!”

“Congratulations!” the other dame said. “Yeah we did, just last night.”

“Where’s the groom?” my wife innocently… scratch that, naively asked.

“Oh, he’s sleeping. There was no way he was coming out with me this morning!” She paused and smirked. “Let’s just say that he’s got a lingering headache from a really good time last night.”

My heart sank. Firstly, that poor schmuck’s “good time” was simply getting snookered. Not enjoying the company of close family and long-lost friends with a clear head and clean conscience, not staring in awe at his beautiful new wife, wanting to soak in every glimmer of her eyes as she shot him heart-racing looks from across the dance floor, not taking all of the cheesy pictures as they cut the cake, not even carrying her across that suite threshold as they nervously anticipated their “nightcap.” He probably won’t remember any of it. Instead, he got smashed. He was “that guy”… at his own freaking wedding.

Then I realized something. Our wedding was truly a once in a lifetime event. It was a God’s-honest celebration of two completely separate lives now becoming one. Physically, emotionally, financially and spiritually, everything that made us who we were individually was becoming what bonded us together. Our family traveled from far and wide to celebrate the decision of two young people to truly commit themselves to each other, and selflessly give themselves to one another in a way that they never had before that very night.

The people next to us that morning? Well, theirs was just one big party.  And the morning after? Just another hangover.

Our “weddings” were the same event in name only. They know it, and we know it.

It’s not easy to always live your life according to your religious principles.  I’ve been tested many times, and I’ve failed more often than I’d like to admit outside of a confessional.  There are moments that count more than most others, though, where faith and resolve get severely tested, and eventually one discovers that prayer is absolutely essential for the strength needed to prevail.  I know Steven and his wife are a prayerful couple, and I know that gave them strength for their journey.

I find this an intriguing column, not just because Steven’s a good friend and the column was funny.  In some states, including my own, we’re debating the legal definition of marriage, which is a fair debate over a government policy that should be resolved by the people and not a judge in a courtroom.  But we should set aside the politics from time to time to reflect on the institution of matrimony and the path that leads us there.  Does giving in to the temptations of the world help or hinder us?  Should we not be cheering the Crowders for walking the narrow path and giving testimony to their values, or is it easier to cheer those who stumble because it lets us off the hook for our own shortcomings?  And what is lost to us in that transaction that the Crowders have found?  It’s easy to laugh at the virgins and the committed Christians for being hopelessly unhip and square, but perhaps not so easy to see how those kind of values clarify the other issues under debate.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Congrats man. Must have been a tough wait. You and Tebow got more will power than Nietzche on cocaine.

abobo on September 16, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Congratulations to the nice couple.

Schadenfreude on September 16, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Judgmental Christian . . . just like me !

: )

listens2glenn on September 16, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Cheers! And Congratulations!

Ur doin it right! :)

INC on September 16, 2012 at 4:22 PM

…traditional values

The Progressive’s biggest target, and chief foe.

CPT. Charles on September 16, 2012 at 4:23 PM

38 years with my first wife,33 years military,5 deployments,2 kids and their college,several moves but still going strong.Tooting my own horn today.

docflash on September 16, 2012 at 4:23 PM

And… best wishes to the happy couple.

CPT. Charles on September 16, 2012 at 4:23 PM

It’s possible the other groom is an alcoholic, no?

I’ve attended plenty of weddings of “unreligious” people, but the only times I’ve seen a completely drunk groom he was a known alcoholic.

But congrats to the happy couple anyway!

happytobehere on September 16, 2012 at 4:25 PM

A wedding is for a day, a marriage is for a lifetime

J_Crater on September 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM

May they have a long and happy life together.

rbj on September 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Its wonderful if this person is happy. But what’s inexplicable about this column is his assumption that other people’s weddings, relationships and sex lives are less satisfying than his. I think we *all* can think of examples of people who waited until marriage….and then got divorced or were supremely unhappy in their marriages. Clearly, for this guy, this marriage isn’t just about joining with his life, its about imagining that everyone is miserable. One wonders, if he could ever be convinced that non-virgins who marry are happy would it destroy his happiness in his own marriage?

libfreeordie on September 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I loved Crowder’s column. It was provocative and feisty — two traits that social conservatives are continuously lectured that they must not exude. He did so in spades, and it was wonderful, because it cuts through the BS that people sell themselves about how nothing is better or worse, right or wrong, just “different.” And with his biting candor he showed what a canard that sentiment is when it comes to what constitutes a marriage.

One of the most ironic things about those who rail against judgmentalism is that saying “it’s wrong to judge others” is itself a judgment.

When you demand that people stop engaging in judgments (rather than contest the validity of those judgments), you demand that they stop analyzing their actions, whether practically, morally, or otherwise. Ultimately, he who refuses to judge refuses to think. I’m glad that Mr. Crowder has exercised judgment, and has contemplated what makes for the well-lived life. I wish him and his wife all the best in life, and I hope he continues rationally judging both himself and others.

Stoic Patriot on September 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I miss my wife.

davidk on September 16, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Tooting my own horn today.

docflash on September 16, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Congratulations to you, too. : )

listens2glenn on September 16, 2012 at 4:27 PM

It is wonderful to hear and read about a couple that understand what love is and in particular the Christian ethic of love. I do not believe there is another religion that blesses marriage in quite the same way. May they prosper and continue into the decades, lovers,friends and spouse.

sharinlite on September 16, 2012 at 4:28 PM

God bless him and his beautiful wife!

AbaddonsReign on September 16, 2012 at 4:29 PM

“I’m celibate.
I sell a bit
and give a bit away.”

~ Moms Mabley

Mazel Tov!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on September 16, 2012 at 4:30 PM

libfreeordie
on September 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Because they are.

listens2glenn on September 16, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Reading articles like this always renews my faith in my decision to wait as well. Congrats to Steven, and congrats on finding a wife that gorgeous who made the same choice!

vegconservative on September 16, 2012 at 4:31 PM

No, not really. The number of people in this situation are vanishingly small.

libfreeordie on September 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM

You’re projecting.

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 4:31 PM

The fight over “traditional marriage” is only the most recent battle in the war on traditional values. The advent of premarital sex has cheapened marriage in the eyes of many. And if it’s cheap, then it shouldn’t matter to all of us backwards Christians if we let any two people into such an institution.

Like Steve and his wife, my wife and I waited until our wedding night. And it’s been amazing.

Mohonri on September 16, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I miss my wife.

davidk on September 16, 2012 at 4:27 PM

That comes across as rather somber. You okay?

listens2glenn on September 16, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I think the other couple is probably less happy than Crowder and his wife. But I think it’s possibly more likely that that unhappiness stems more from the unfortunate groom’s alcoholism and less from his lack of religious conviction.

happytobehere on September 16, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Congratulations! My husband and I made the same choice as you and your new wife for the same reasons. We just celebrated our 43 rd anniversary. We never regretted our decision. In fact, we feel it has made our relationship more special and closer.

lukjuj on September 16, 2012 at 4:38 PM

happytobehere on September 16, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Yep.

listens2glenn on September 16, 2012 at 4:38 PM

WTG, Steven and Mrs. Crowder. You definitely married up, champ! As did I. great column.

ted c on September 16, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Congrats you two kids! Like I keep saying, too many people focus on the wedding, and leave the marriage as an afterthought. Hey, I was 2 weeks from giving birth to our first child (okay, yeah we didn’t wait), had an awful sinus infection to where we were not sure if my membranes were leaking. So that wedding night had to wait eight weeks. It was in front of a JP in a bad part of town, and yet it was still one of the best days of my life. The hearty partiers? One wonders what will happen once the high from the party is over, and that building a life together thing starts? Good luck to you both!

Sekhmet on September 16, 2012 at 4:41 PM

we’ve been married for nearly 17 years now and going strong.

ted c on September 16, 2012 at 4:41 PM

happytobehere on September 16, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Being drunk, or having a hangover doesn’t make him an alcoholic. The point I think is that being the first and being 23rd in line clearly have different meanings to both the bride and the groom. That isn’t the sum total of any relationship, but it does weaken the bond for both.

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 4:41 PM

docflash on September 16, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Heartfelt congratulations! And thank you for your service, too!

thatsafactjack on September 16, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Congratulations to the Crowder couple! My wife and I were both virgins when we got married in 2001, and while it was very difficult, after 10 years and two kids we could not be happier.

Weight of Glory on September 16, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Professor, it’s is not its. Sorry for your students.

Schadenfreude on September 16, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Steven Crowder

LOL. Think he misinterpreted the cause of that headache…

sauldalinsky on September 16, 2012 at 4:43 PM

libfreeordie on September 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM

…your glass is always half full isn’t it?
…yeah…it reflects!

KOOLAID2 on September 16, 2012 at 4:43 PM

nice piece Ed…I married up…and I’m thankful for that everyday… for over a quarter of a century.

KOOLAID2 on September 16, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Great wedding anecdote. I raise a few eyebrows a few days ago when I mentioned that I thought that we focus far too much on the wedding and not on the marriage (for those that still have the decency to make the most fundamental commitment of life.)

My comment came as a result of sadly watching two of my neighbor’s daughters marriages broken, both after less than two years, but did they have the weddings of the century, oh Yeah!

FYI 53 years and still committed to the greatest….

Don L on September 16, 2012 at 4:48 PM

That comes across as rather somber. You okay?

listens2glenn on September 16, 2012 at 4:36 PM

ok

davidk on September 16, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I miss my wife.

davidk on September 16, 2012 at 4:27 PM

…I’m sorry davidk

KOOLAID2 on September 16, 2012 at 4:53 PM

From Deadfreeloser:

I can’t think of any.

BigAlSouth on September 16, 2012 at 4:54 PM

“In some states, including my own, we’re debating the legal definition of marriage, which is a fair debate over a government policy that should be resolved by the people and not a judge in a courtroom”

Just like interracial marriage! Right guys?!? ..guys?

NoStoppingUs on September 16, 2012 at 4:54 PM

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I’m not arguing with the point that waiting till marriage is a good idea, and may lead to a happier marriage. But getting so drunk at your own wedding that you can’t get out of bed to have breakfast with your new wife is most assuredly a sign of alcoholism.

happytobehere on September 16, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Congrats Steven!

Ugly on September 16, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I’d still like to know where all these temptations are that some people seem so proud to have resisted.

Seth Halpern on September 16, 2012 at 4:56 PM

38 years with my first wife, 33 years military,5 deployments, 2 kids and their college, several moves but still going strong. Tooting my own horn today.

docflash on September 16, 2012 at 4:23 PM

..you and Steve Crowder both deserve to — and we are proud to know you! Congratulations, thanks for your service to our country and God bless and keep your family.

The War Planner on September 16, 2012 at 4:57 PM

libfreeordie on September 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM

See, I didn’t get that at all. I don’t think he was judging, just that he felt sad that she was alone on that morning. And did you read the entire article? I did, and again I don’t see him as judging anyone. You on the other hand…

Deanna on September 16, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Congratulations to them both. May they have many many joyous years together.

Deanna on September 16, 2012 at 5:03 PM

libfreeordie on September 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM

You are such a loser.

VegasRick on September 16, 2012 at 5:03 PM

The only way you could have gotten that sentiment from reading this article is if, as one other poster has pointed out, you are projecting your misery onto the author. But then I’ve found quite a few liberals to be miserable people in every sense of the word. That wouldn’t be so tragic were it not for their propensity to spread that misery to others.

Here’s a tip: avoid using the word “clearly” when making an argument. If you’ve made your point (even as wrongheaded as most of your arguments are), it will be self evident.

natasha333 on September 16, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Congrats Steven, to you and your bride.

hawkdriver on September 16, 2012 at 5:04 PM

A fine example for America – - – obama hates everything about these people.

Pork-Chop on September 16, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I don’t know, I have a problem with this kind of gloating. Sure, it serves to get back at the naysayers. And how. But what about the committed Christians who lapsed before their wedding date and still feel guilty about it? What purpose does it serve to reinforce their regret? Just collateral damage?

JackForce on September 16, 2012 at 5:05 PM

happytobehere on September 16, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Good point, but it could also be that he just doesn’t think its all that special…because it really isn’t? This is not the first time for either of them, nor is it the first drunken party with a hangover the next day.

Our “weddings” were the same event in name only. They know it, and we know it.

I think that’s the point Crowder was making. Calling it a wedding doesn’t necessarily differentiate from any other occasion to party. It’s not how I think, but many people do and for many women the wedding is the point, and the marriage is an afterthought.

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Slightly OT: Glenn Reynolds is really coming out of the anti-progressive closet this weekend. Now he’s got a post up noting that progressives will love gender-selection abortion for couples who want only girls or only boys — until people are able to use abortion to select for only heterosexual babies! Ha! He is so right! When that day comes, progressives will become Pro-Lifers overnight!

Rational Thought on September 16, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Congrats! Sounds like Steven has a good start on understanding the path to a successfully marriage. My better half and I celebrated 28 this last July. A strong marriage is built. Marriage is an instruction book on the art of compromise. May this couple enjoy all the pleasures and challenges building a future together can offer up. Work hard, be faithful, and of course loyal. You will cherish one another even more as the years pass.

Bmore on September 16, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I miss my wife. davidk on September 16, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Manly hugs your way. Hang in there.

Dingbat63 on September 16, 2012 at 5:14 PM

libfreeordie on September 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM

This may be one of the few times we will agree. While neither of us were virgins when we married as we were older, husband and I had a wonderful wedding with all the love that Mr. Crowder describes. Neither of us woke up with a hangover the next morning either and could have been the Crowders the next day as he described.

It’s wonderful that they were able to do this – both be virgins and I’m sure it added a bit more “specialness” to the beginning of the marriage, but it’s a little narrowminded to think it brings any more of a bond to a partnership. That would mean that the bond to any second marriage, for instance, is not as “good”.

I do disagree that Crowder thinks other people are “miserable”, but rather don’t have the special bond that his will because of the virgin aspect. Which is patently untrue and maybe a little bit of wishcasting for perhaps “missing out” on sexual adventures before marriage. It’s a shame he has this attitude because it doesn’t matter what happens with OTHER people, just himself and his new bride.

It has more to do with the people, the respect for each other and what they want to bring to the marriage, imho.

kim roy on September 16, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Congratulations to Crowder and his new wife. I’ve always liked his videos; he brings the right level of sarcasm. Bet his new wife won’t let him do any more stuff like the Detroit video though.

AZfederalist on September 16, 2012 at 5:17 PM

That was a beautiful story. It makes me look at things differently. Thank you.

HeatSeeker2011 on September 16, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Rational Thought on September 16, 2012 at 5:10 PM

You are pretty disgusting…

lovingmyUSA on September 16, 2012 at 5:19 PM

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Yeah, I get that. I just think the alcoholism thing unfortunately deflates a good argument. Reminds me of how George W. Bush quit drinking after waking up with a horrible hangover after his 40th birthday party. Getting that drunk isn’t normal, especially at your own party. Bush discovered that at 40. Hopefully this poor groom can accept that earlier.

happytobehere on September 16, 2012 at 5:20 PM

You can’t go wrong when you follow God’s ways! Good for the Crowders!

balkanmom on September 16, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Congratulations! But now comes the real test: with whose parents are you spending Thanksgiving?

de rigueur on September 16, 2012 at 5:22 PM

i like his routines, but the excerpted bit here sounds preachy and judgemental.

The Crowderweds have no idea what other people are doing in their own lives and it’s nutty to label them as less virtuous because hubby might be hungover or a late sleeper and new bride likes an early breakfast for example.

But like I said the guy is a great asset in the left-right media-cultural battles. So, yeah.

Sacramento on September 16, 2012 at 5:23 PM

libfreeordie on September 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM

You assume he’s judgmental because you’re so judgmental.

He’s referring to the two different approaches to marriage and weddings, not making a value judgment on the people involved

tom on September 16, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Though my um…history list only consists of my ex-husband and my husband…history started with each(both?) of them long before the wedding. The Husband and me will be hitting 10 years of marriage in a few months. It’s been a great trip so far, that said, even though it was my second marriage and we were both older…I wish we would’ve done as the new Mr. and Mrs. Crowder had done.
Twerp out.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 16, 2012 at 5:23 PM

LOL. Think he misinterpreted the cause of that headache…

sauldalinsky on September 16, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Never had a headache from great sex…..from rum/vodka/scotch, well,…..

ex Dem from Miami on September 16, 2012 at 5:24 PM

libfreeordie on September 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Who the hell cares.

Go RBNY on September 16, 2012 at 5:25 PM

davidk on September 16, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I’m sorry. She must have been a woman of uncommon sense and love because she figured out that you were the man for her.

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 5:26 PM

de rigueur on September 16, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Ah yes, the art of compromise begins. Lol!

Bmore on September 16, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Way OT..but Gateway has this up. Chickens meet roost..LOL

Iranian Regime Threatens to Sue Obama Using New UN Blasphemy Law He Signed…

Press TV reported:

A senior Iranian official says US President Barack Obama could face legal action in connection with the production of an anti-Islam movie by an American Jew.

“A complaint could be filed with US courts against Obama for his violation of articles 18 and 27 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) calling for respect of faiths,” Javad Mohammadi, the deputy head of the Supreme Council of Cultural Revolution (SCCR), said on Sunday.

“Article 18 and 27 of the ICCPR, adopted by the United Nation, stipulate that the religion and the rights of the minorities should be respected,” Mohammadi said.

The US government is a signatory to this covenant and has to respect it…http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/

Deanna on September 16, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I can’t speak for men but I have never met a woman who wishes that she had started having sex earlier and had had more partners. I’m sure they are out there but I don’t know any of them.

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 5:28 PM

davidk on September 16, 2012 at 4:27 PM

*hug*

annoyinglittletwerp on September 16, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I miss my wife.
davidk on September 16, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I understand.

Deanna on September 16, 2012 at 5:29 PM

You are pretty disgusting…

lovingmyUSA on September 16, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Yeah? Why?

Rational Thought on September 16, 2012 at 5:29 PM

As a pro-Christian (mostly) atheist, I congratulate the fellow and his wife. I couldn’t live like that but I appreciate when good people try to live by their principles that don’t impose on other people. I hate the Progressive loathing of Christianity.

flawedskull on September 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM

libfreeordie on September 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Wow.

Bmore on September 16, 2012 at 5:31 PM

when I make a judgement on something I find morally objectionable and someone snidely asks “who are you to judge?” I always reply, “well, someone has to”.

deimos on September 16, 2012 at 5:34 PM

My husband’s first marriage lasted 4 years. He said that enduring the divorce made him absolutely determined that the next one would not fail.

It was a lot of work, I admit, but seven kids, and many crises, big and small, later we’re coming up on our 40th wedding anniversary and there was never even a thought of divorce. He is still the love of my life, and I am his. It was, every bit of it, worth it.

hachiban on September 16, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Ed asks “Should we not be cheering the Crowders for walking the narrow path and giving testimony to their values”

How would the Crowders hear anyone else’s cheers over the loud cheering he is doing himself?

Boasting about why you feel blessed while denegrating others, as Crowder did in his article, is was ungracious, judgmental and converts no one.

Crowder gives Christians a bad name when he drags others down to elevate his own experience.

Crowder had a beautiful story to tell and he ruined it.

sheryl on September 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM

sheryl on September 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM

No he doesn’t. I am not a Christian and I don’t see this as giving Christians a bad name. He’s not a groveler which is what too often passes for Christianity these days.

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I miss my wife.
davidk on September 16, 2012 at 4:27 PM

{{{ hugs }}}

PatriotGal2257 on September 16, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Hey, everyone who doesn’t like this story should go burn down an embassy!!!!

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Hey, everyone who doesn’t like this story should go burn down an embassy!!!!

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 5:47 PM

If your doorbell rings around midnight tonight…and there are 5 or 6 guys standing out there in brown shirts…don’t answer it! But if you must, for God’s sake grab a white towel!

Rational Thought on September 16, 2012 at 5:49 PM

davidk on September 16, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 5:26 PM

…you always say things…the way I can’t…thank you!

KOOLAID2 on September 16, 2012 at 5:50 PM

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I think he’s tone was awful in the article and in fact could’ve been read with Dana Carvey’s Church Lady voice very easily….lol!!

I’ll be the first to agree that snide humor is a wonderful tool and Crowder has used in fantastically in the past.

I think in this article it stunk up a beautiful story and what could’ve been a beautiful message.

sheryl on September 16, 2012 at 5:50 PM

As I said in Headlines…We tumbled out of bed, got ourselves downtown, got married, ate with our families at the dive across from City Hall, tumbled back into bed…three decades ago. Now with the kids grown and gone, we’re having a blast!

Wishing the same for Mr. & Mrs. Crowder.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on September 16, 2012 at 5:52 PM

davidk on September 16, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Beautiful. :)

kim roy on September 16, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Hey, everyone who doesn’t like this story should go burn down an embassy!!!!

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Wow…..when four people lost their lives at American embassies this last week, this is really a terrible thing to post and project.

Very sad.

sheryl on September 16, 2012 at 5:53 PM

sheryl on September 16, 2012 at 5:50 PM

A guilty conscience needs no accuserChurch Lady

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 5:54 PM

sheryl on September 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Nah, he just sounds like a clueless young newlywed.

Go RBNY on September 16, 2012 at 5:54 PM

My husband and I celebrate 19 years of marriage tomorrow. Congratulations to them. Great story.

TXMomof3 on September 16, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Congratulations to the Crowders!

The hubby and I just celebrated 28 years this year, and we both … ahem … waited till our wedding night.

BTW, we’ve known each other since we were both 16. Over the years, I’ve had various people look at me crosseyed when I mention that statistic, as if knowing someone as a friend for a long period of time somehow drains any romance out of a relationship. For us, it was the perfect match and I’d do it all over again the same way in a heartbeat. Or it could be that I’m just not the romantic type to begin with. LOL

PatriotGal2257 on September 16, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Glad they are happy, wish them all the best.

Don’t really want to know the details one way or another. Not really any of my bidness…..and vica versa.

Allahs vulva on September 16, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Stephen, I’ve had the opportunity to speak with your dad and brother- you come from a great family and I know they’re very proud of you.

My husband and I waited for marriage, too. It was worth it! We’ve been married 21 years, we’re home schooling our three teenagers and loving life.

The pastor that married us told us that even if a couple has been living together prior to marriage, living apart before the wedding, even for a short time, make the probability of that marriage lasting go up exponentially.

Marriage is a sacred thing that deserves respect. Thank you for your outspoken example. God’s richest blessings on you both.

parteagirl on September 16, 2012 at 6:07 PM

A guilty conscience needs no accuser – Church Lady

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 5:54 PM

LOL, then what guilty conscience is Crowder accusing the girl at breakfast of having a lousy husband and a lousy wedding coming from?

sheryl on September 16, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Crowder had a beautiful story to tell and he ruined it.

sheryl on September 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Good Lord! Lots of guilt and shame masquerading as criticism in this thread. Methinks some nerves were hit head-on.

squint on September 16, 2012 at 6:09 PM

sheryl on September 16, 2012 at 6:07 PM

A drunk with a hangover who didn’t care enough to be with his ‘special’ bride the morning after? I don’t know where Crowder gets this stuff?

sharrukin on September 16, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Well, that’s nice for them. They have something special they can be proud of and happy about.

But, different strokes for different folks. And peoples’s lives develop differently.

My husband and I weren’t virgins when we got married, but we have been married almost 35 years now, and raised two kids, and are at this moment sitting in the same house sharing a pleasant Sunday together. In a bit, I’m going to make him some cherry crisp.

Alana on September 16, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Hey, everyone who doesn’t like this story should go burn down an embassy!!!!

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Inappropriate and not funny, Cindy Munford.

sheryl on September 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I totally agree with Sheryl, libfreeordie and Kim Roy. Disappointing that Crowder has to try to put down others (or what he imagines others are like) as he holds up himself on some higher plane. His snide, self-superior, mocking tone is just awful. As soon as he called the other groom “a poor schmuck” I knew where it was going. You can almost imagine Crowder and his wife snickering and mocking the groom privately between themselves at breakfast while pretending to be so sweet in front of the other bride. Fake, fake, fake. Blech. I wonder what that other couple would think if they read how Crowder puts them down here as a way to say how great he thinks he is. Crowder seems like the type of two-faced person who would pretend to be your friend and then make fun of you behind your back.

bluegill on September 16, 2012 at 6:14 PM

His snide, self-superior, mocking tone is just awful.

Fish in a barrel.