Media endangers entire neighborhood to pursue thoughtcrime suspect

posted at 4:01 pm on September 15, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

When Princess Diana was killed in a car crash after a high-speed race through the streets of Paris with paparazzi, her family understandably claimed that the media had killed the mother of the future King of the UK.  At the time, I considered that a little hyperbolic, although hardly unwarranted hyperbole, as the actual proximate causes of death were a driver under the influence making a rash decision to outrun photographers and a decision not to use seatbelts. But over the last couple of days, I wonder whether the American media may get someone killed — and perhaps more than a few people — with their irresponsible stakeout of “Sam Bacile.”

First, let me introduce you to my hometown of Cerritos, California.  My family moved there in 1970, just a few years past its unincorporated status of Dairy Valley.  At the time, we had a few operating dairies within the city, as well as at least one small horse facility, along with new retail and residential building.  I graduated from Cerritos High in 1980, five years after the facility had opened, and we still had a dairy or two operating, although they were on their way out.  The incongruous exurban outpost in the Los Angeles metro area soon transformed into a pricy center for retail and the arts.

Not too many famous people came from my little corner of the world.  Our biggest celebrity is probably Lela Rochon, who graduated a couple of years after me.  Lela started her career as a Spuds MacKenzie girl and went on to star in movies such as Waiting to Exhale, Why Do Fools Fall In Love, Any Given Sunday, and an especially delightful role in Harlem Nights with Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy.  I didn’t know Lela in high school, but I did know Lee Marvin’s biographer, Dwayne Epstein, who also went to Cerritos High and whose book Point Blank will come out early next year.  Mike Allen of Politico also hails from Cerritos, and then you have Yours Truly, which shows how little star power the old hometown really has.

In fact, the most notoriety our town ever had was for a horrible tragedy, the Aero Mexico plane crash of 1986.  I had moved out of Cerritos by that time, but by chance happened to be at our then-family home when the crash occurred.  It killed 67 people in the air and another 15 on the ground, in a neighborhood that looked as though it had been bombed.

Why bring that up?  It was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this report from local TV station KTLA in the media’s pursuit of “Sam Bacile,” the man behind the YouTube video that provided an excuse for rioting in a number of countries:

Take a look at just the first minute or so of this report.  Look at all of the media trucks in this sleepy little neighborhood, and not just KTLA’s.  If anyone interested in taking revenge on Nakoula Besseley Nakoula wanted to know where to find him, it wouldn’t take long in this small city, especially with some media reports noting Nakoula’s distinctive front door.  And while some people wouldn’t care about Nakoula’s fate, the kind of people looking to take revenge on him aren’t really known for their precision attacks and avoidance of collateral damage.  This media swarm puts that entire neighborhood at risk, now and probably for a very long time.

And for what?  Is Nakoula a serial killer? A child molester?  No, he’s a man with poor taste who made a video that insulted some people who can’t deal with criticism, even the laughably inane and inept criticism of this 14-minute cheesefest that makes Plan 9 From Outer Space look like Citizen Kane.  However, in the US, making really bad movies and engaging in even inept theological and historical commentary isn’t a crime at all.  The media are undermining the same guarantees of free speech that allow them to operate without government interference, and they’re putting people’s lives at risk while doing so.  They’re not going to be happy until there’s another crater in Cerritos.

Meanwhile, while the media provides moment-to-moment coverage of Thoughtcrime Enemy #1 this week, the feds are interrogating him as to whether his filmmaking might violate his probation on unrelated matters:

A man purported to be a filmmaker involved with the anti-Islam video sparking violent unrest in the Middle East and North Africa was escorted by deputies from his Cerritos, Calif., home shortly after midnight Saturday morning, NBCLosAngeles.com reported.

Media and law enforcement had been staking out the home at the end of a cul de sac in the Southern California city for about 48 hours when Nakoula Besseley Nakoula emerged wearing a coat, hat, scarf and glasses.

L.A. County Sheriff’s Department spokesman Steve Whitmore confirmed to NBCLA that Nakoula, 55, was taken to the Cerritos sheriff’s station for interviewing by federal probation officers aimed at determining whether he violated the terms of his 5-year probation by uploading a video to the Internet.

“We are in an assist mode,” he said.

Nakoula is no saint, as the report makes clear:

A federal grand jury indictment in February 2009 charged Nakoula in an alleged bank fraud conspiracy. The indictment accused him and others of fraudulently obtaining the identities and Social Security numbers of bank customers at Wells Fargo and withdrawing $860 from bank branches in Cerritos, Artesia and Norwalk.

Nakoula pleaded no contest in 2010 and was ordered to pay more than $790,000 in restitution. He was also sentenced to 21 months in federal prison, but was released early. The terms of his parole included being barred from assuming aliases and using computers or the Internet for five years without approval from his probation officer. …

Los Angeles County District Attorney spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons confirmed that Nakoula also served a year in jail after pleading guilty to possession of meth with the intent to manufacture in 1997.

Here’s the question: would any of these people care about Nakoula’s probation status had the video not purportedly caused riots?  If so, isn’t this pursuit more about the kind of speech in which Nakoula engaged than in what kind of activity he may have conducted with computers and the Internet? This is dangerous ground for free speech, and the media is making Cerritos into dangerous ground in a much more literal sense.

Update: Commenters rightly argue with an assumption I didn’t mean to make in my last paragraph. I don’t think a six-month old video “caused” the riots, either. It was just a pretext. I’ve added “purportedly” to make clear I’m arguing the current claim rather than the reality.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Why? Because Geller’s a racist, that’s why, a racist who captions photos of youth campers at Utoya Island in Norway thus:

“Note the faces which are more MIddle [sic] Eastern or mixed than pure Norwegian.”

But then you probably think that’s kosher.

Excuse my mixed metaphor.

lostmotherland on September 15, 2012 at 5:06 PM

ah getting your thinkprogress talking points in order i see, i remember that post, it was cross linked from another blog and taken down shortly after she saw the quote., screaming racist at somebody who exposes Islamic supremacism is par for the course over in lefty land, now go wander around in circles while our president takes away the first Amendment you coward

golembythehudson on September 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Did you know there was a huge free speech conference specifically focusing on this very subject at the U.N plaza on 9/11?, it featured speakers from all over the world including lars Vilks, the danish cartoonist marked for death for daring to draw pictures of the prophet Mohhomad. The central theme was the imposition of Free speech limitations in Western Society in order to appease Muslims who demand enforcement of censorship. It was organized by Pamela Geller

This is the crux of what we are dealing with now, yet if you read HOTAIR, you will never have known about it because any criticism of Islam is not tolerated amongst the Blogger Elite. Including Ed and Allah It will prevent their careers from advancing into more mainstream roles.

golembythehudson on September 15, 2012 at 5:09 PM

That is because terrorism works. It makes people afraid, and when they are afraid they submit. It’s just a little submission right now, so it hardly hurts at all. And they convince themselves that that is all the fanatics will ask for, just a tiny bit of submission…oh…let’s call it…respect. We’ll “respect” them and their religion. Yeah, that’s the ticket. It isn’t submission, it’s respect! What will be call it when we’re digging out of the smoldering holes that used to be American cities?

Rational Thought on September 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM

They are my enemy, along with anyone who is disengaged enough to drink the kool-aid, not do their homework, and fall for the talking points of this shameful group of f@#koffs who will not do their job.

I take it you stopped watching TV and reading the news online then?

lostmotherland on September 15, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Can’t speak for whoever you quoted (no attribution), but yes, I have. I rarely watch anything more than sports and maybe the odd one or two shows (Castle on occasion and Dr. Who if I’m in the room). I also am mindful of who I go pay to see at the movies.

Whatever I find out, I find out online by going to various sites and trying to find the most “honest” ones. I don’t believe anything I can’t research.

I do watch FOX, but really only Hannity, Greta and the one with Brett Baird and really only a couple of times a week and PVR Red Eye, but am months behind.

So some of us DO pay attention, don’t give our money to people who think we are racist hillbillies and are wary of ALL information provided. I doubt I’m unique.

kim roy on September 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM

When will the MB, and CAIR, go after Bill Maher for defaming Islam in Religulous?
And, will Barack Obama give back the money Maher gave him?

Another Drew on September 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Rebellion in the ranks. I guess Ed Morrissey is a Muslim, according to some of you nutjobs.

lostmotherland on September 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Oh and PS: I haven’t bought a newspaper in about five or six years and the last time I picked one up (free at a McD’s having a coffee) it reminded me why I don’t spend my hard earned money on them. The day where they are all history will be one I will enjoy.

kim roy on September 15, 2012 at 5:17 PM

kim roy

Good for you. But Hannity? You completely invalidated everything else you wrote with that admission. Maybe you need to work on those “research” skills a bit more. That guy is a shill, a loud mouth and an idiot (the perfect trifecta).

lostmotherland on September 15, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I take it you stopped watching TV and reading the news online then?

lostmotherland on September 15, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I got rid of my TV. Its garbage and doesn’t interest me anymore.

lostmotherland on September 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM

For a leftist drone this is probably a strange and outlandish concept, but…we don’t all have the same opinion. In fact we often disagree about a lot of things. Its called freedom of thought and expression. Crazy huh?

sharrukin on September 15, 2012 at 5:21 PM

So you’ll have to ask yourself, now, when the internet loads just a little slower on your computer: Are they watching me? Keeping a file? Is my name on a list somewhere, just in case they need to “create” a biography of me down the road?

And your dreams of a rising conservative movement? Ha! It will never happen so long as the regime can detain, arrest, and, eventually, disappear anyone who gets in the way, and the sharia media continues to cover it up. I have never felt so strongly in my life that this country has ended until today. And where are the elites on the right? Hello? They are hiding, like they always do, because terrorists are scary — especially the ones who live at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue and work in the US State Department.

Rational Thought on September 15, 2012 at 5:21 PM

The day where they are all history will be one I will enjoy.

What day will that be? I don’t understand this apocalyptic talk of a ‘post-media’ world. It simply isn’t going to happen. You misunderstand capitalism. There’s a lot of money to be made.

lostmotherland on September 15, 2012 at 5:21 PM

What are the odds that muslim jihadist blow up the house and in doing so kill/maim most of these “Journolists”?

It would be a “tragedy”, but the press would wonder why these terrorists hate the media so much.

Robert Jensen on September 15, 2012 at 5:22 PM

lostmotherland on September 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM

if that’s what you inferred from what i wrote then i have no idea how you manage to open a can without logistic difficulty

golembythehudson on September 15, 2012 at 5:22 PM

For a leftist drone this is probably a strange and outlandish concept,

That’s why I said “some.” It means there’s different opinions among the nutjobs.

lostmotherland on September 15, 2012 at 5:23 PM

kim roy

lostmotherland on September 15, 2012 at 5:19 PM

All that and you pick up on Hannity? Of course I know what he is. He also has good guests on like MM. Greta is sometimes the same, but she also has Bolton on regularly and a few other people. Sometimes you ignore Trump to get to Bolton. You also don’t think I have extremely liberal use of the mute button?

I think you just like to argue over how picked the nit is. Later.

kim roy on September 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Maybe you need to be less obtuse in your smearing, guilt-by-association and rumor mongering. To be honest, I have no idea *what* you were saying about Ed. That he’s guilty of collusion with jihadists or something? Who knows?

lostmotherland on September 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Pamela Geller is one of the foremost patriots in the conservative movement. I don’t understand why links to her would be removed. She stands for free speech, capitalism and the rights of the individual. The American Freedom Defense Institution is all about freedom. Her cause is defending it from those who attack those values. She has never tried to distort or misinterpret Islam. She only quotes the Islamic texts and the words and deeds of the Islamists for all to see.

scrubjay on September 15, 2012 at 5:28 PM

The Obama administration is more than happy to let this film maker take the blame for these riots and deaths and the media is more than glad to do his bidding by jumping on this band wagon and pushing the story. It’s not the first time a private citizen has been “called out” from “on high” to cover Obama’s azz and now Hillary’s as well.

We who know the truth know who it is that has blood on their hands here.

MaggieMae on September 15, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Rational Thought on September 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM

i agree, you see it in the above post, some lefty troll said i accused Ed Morrisey of being a “muslim” and i was a “nutjob”, it was false obviously but these are the type of attacks that will come at you when you broach subjects deemed sensitive by the left, they will smear and defame, that’s why Ed and Allah will not touch them, they don’t wan’t to involved in anything that might get them blowback, after all Jon Stewarts go to guy for conservative info is Allah, that might stop if he suddenly ask’s the hard question, after all Islam is a religion of peace…

golembythehudson on September 15, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Akzed on September 15, 2012 at 5:08 PM

golembythehudson on September 15, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Many truths are just not politically acceptable. Remember The Bell Curve?

slickwillie2001 on September 15, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Ed loves to follow a good meme.

Can we shut up about the film and focus on the AQ terror attacks on 9-11?

We are stupid. God help us.

faraway on September 15, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I’m sorry, but this guy’s previous history has beans to do with the out of control Muslim radicals (and I’m no longer certain the silent Muslims are not part of the larger problem).

The media is focused on a guy who made a video.

The media is not focused on the irrational response to that video.

There in lies the problem we have in the MSM. They are incapable of identifying the problem and therefore report their liberal progressive emotions rather than reporting the facts.

The fact is this guy made a completely legal video.

The fact is that Muslims around the world used this as a reason to burn, kill, murder, and vandalize.

Where is the MSM focus–of course on the individual who was completely within his rights. Meanwhile, the MSM treats the Muslim murders and violence as some sort of justification against a completely legal endeavor–regardless of what you think of the video.

And here’s another thought. If the video is so repugnant to the Islamist, then why wasn’t Obama taking full credit for killing Bin Ladin a reason, or why wasn’t Obama’s personal approval for the WH kill list a reason? Hmmmmm?

The video has zero to do with the violence. It’s a 9/11 anniversary, and the wackos are out to celebrate in the only way they know–murder and violence.

Shame on the MSM for not repudiating the violence instead of focusing on the innocent victim.

BMF on September 15, 2012 at 5:33 PM

scrubjay on September 15, 2012 at 5:28 PM

she’s banned from this website, along with any blogs considered “counter-jihad”, i.e any blogs that take a critical look at Islamic terrorism and Law, such as Robert Spencer’s Jihad Watch, who used to blog here before Ed Morrisey demanded he be fired

Update (Ed): This is absolutely, categorically false. I had nothing to do with Spencer’s status at Hot Air and never even offered an opinion about it. The notion that I “demanded” to Michelle Malkin that Spencer be “fired” is laughable on its face. Since this commenter has decided to post libelous allegations without a shred of proof or reality about me, he’s no longer welcome to post comments at all.

golembythehudson on September 15, 2012 at 5:34 PM

The media is not focused on the irrational response to that video.

BMF on September 15, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Shame on us for following the movie red herring. We all bought it hook, line and sinker.

The protests are not about a movie.

The Ambassador was killed by AQ in an attack that was known for 2 days.

That would have won the election, if we all weren’t so stupid.

faraway on September 15, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Every time we talk about the movie, Obama laughs his a** off.

faraway on September 15, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Has anyone on our side ever wondered why Hillary brings up this movie every day?

Has anyone wondered why Google/Youtube is keeping the video online?

Has anyone wondered why the media is camped out in front of the house of someone they are not sure who the guy is?

They want us to focus on the movie until the election.

Please, for the love of your country, stop.

faraway on September 15, 2012 at 5:41 PM

lostmotherland on September 15, 2012 at 5:21 PM

But it will not be made by the leftist, mainstream press. They’re going out of business plying their DNC talking points. Ten years from now, they will not exist.

If any of them continue to exist, it will be because they have dropped the political activism and begun attempting objectivity again.

philwynk on September 15, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Hey, this is an easy one: If you pass out leaflets that advocate a position, and some of your leaflets are dropped on the sidewalk, you can be arrested and charged with littering.

This will stop you from exercising your free speech rights, but in a totally legal, Constitutional manner, right? You just happened to catch a crime taking place coincidental to the speech you wanted to suppress.

Well, no. It’s an old, completely settled piece of Supreme Court law, Martin v. Struthers, that incidental violations can’t be used as a pretext to muzzle opinion.

So, the real issue that functional, reasonably unbiased media would be checking out now would be whether the current federal interest in this guy is a pretext on the part of the US government for submitting to Muslim censorship demands.

Franklin S on September 15, 2012 at 5:45 PM

lostmotherland on September 15, 2012 at 5:23 PM

lostmotherland on September 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Less than two minutes apart. Nicely done.

rogerb on September 15, 2012 at 5:45 PM

This violence is just like the Dutch Mohammed cartoon…it’s just a scapegoat in a way to whip the masses into a frenzy.

I don’t understand why the filmmaker in question would be arrested, or even taken into custody, just because he made this film. It wasn’t a call to arms.

As a Catholic Cjristian, I and many other Christians didn’t like some “art” a few years back that included a crucifix in a jar of piss, and a painting of the Madonna covered with elephant dung. But I don’t remember any riots and murder as a result…even when our tax dollars are used through the NEA to hep fund their exhibit.

With the rise in Sharia and creations of Islamic government happening in so many countries in some sort of “domino effect”…the collective radical Muslim states gain more financial backing, safe havens for “freedom fighters”, and an improved geographic stronghold.

IMHO, we’re seeing the beginnings of the world domination of radical Islam gaining some speed. Something wicked this way comes. Australia, and most of Western Europe are already headed that way.

JetBoy on September 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM

golembythehudson on September 15, 2012 at 5:34 PM

That’s a shame because when conservatives set up barriers to one and other that only aids the leftist opposition.

We must hang together, gentlemen…else, we shall most assuredly hang separately.
– Benjamin Franklin

Update (Ed): Golem’s accusation is absolutely, categorically false. I had nothing to do with Spencer’s status at Hot Air and never even offered an opinion about it. The notion that I “demanded” to Michelle Malkin that Spencer be “fired” is laughable on its face. Since this commenter has decided to post libelous allegations without a shred of proof or reality about me, he’s no longer welcome to post comments at all.

scrubjay on September 15, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Schadenfreude on September 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Could you nail down my subflooring like that? ;)

The longer it takes to hear anything about Benghazi will be an indication of how much of an all around atrocity it is. If Hillary can grow a beard for religious reasons, she might save her skin.

BL@KBIRD on September 15, 2012 at 5:55 PM

JetBoy on September 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM

it’ll be aided by Milquetoast bloggers such as the writers of hotair who refuse to broach the subject, instead writing nonsensical posts of “how did we get here?” once in a while while we slide further down the abyss, it must be cooler down there in the sand where they love to stick their heads

golembythehudson on September 15, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Free speech is well protected in the US and I don’t see how he could face any prosecution for the video’s content. That does not mean that he did not engage in fraud (contractual or financial)in order to make or promote the film and it could be a violation of his probation.

My guess is that if anyone attacks the guy it will be someone from the Coptic community. It’s an Egyptian tradition. Some old Coptic ladies have already attacked one of his colleagues with shoes and stated quite clearly that they consider any Coptic blood spilt as a result of the movie to be on his head.

lexhamfox on September 15, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Here’s the question: would any of these people care about Nakoula’s probation status had the video not purportedly caused riots? if rioting by Islamic Fundamentalists didn’t threaten to undermine Obama’s re-election efforts, and trying to turn this guy into a pariah that all Americans should hate was the media’s only shot at deflecting attention away from Obama’s foreign policy failure?

There, Ed. I fixed it for ‘ya.

ardenenoch on September 15, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Is Nakoula a serial killer? A child molester? No, he’s a man with poor taste who made a video that insulted some people who can’t deal with criticism

Same could be said about the Kardashian or Hilton sex tapes. Or anything from Joe Francis.

The fact of the matter is that we have a First Amendment and I am most disturbed that the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the White House actively tried to limit the freedom of expression despite having sworn an oath to uphold and defend (in the case of the CJCS) the Constitution. I’m angered that the State Department has repeatedly apologized for that right. First from the Cairo embassy and more recently from Hillary Clinton. Our nation’s founding principles are fare bigger than Barak Hussein Obama or Hillary Clinton and they are too partisan to understand exactly how they are undermining the nation.

Happy Nomad on September 15, 2012 at 5:57 PM

When the Muslims catch up to the meaning of Marshall McLuhan– the medium is the message– and start taking out the content purveyors as well as the content providers the reporters and trucks will go away.

de rigueur on September 15, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I doubt those idiots in the TV vans stationedin Cerrito understand the enormity of their actions (and you’re right in referencing McLuhan) until one of the cretins working for these networks get killed by a member (or more, as in mob) of the peaceful religion of Islam…Problem with our media is that it is as dumb as the citizenry it serves (am talking about the brain dead half of this country, well, arguably more than half)….

jimver on September 15, 2012 at 5:57 PM

…even when our tax dollars are used through the NEA to hep fund their exhibit.

JetBoy on September 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM

… and you will recall that the media that is now attacking this film maker, who made this film with private funds, viciously excoriated Catholics and other Christians when those Christians called for defunding the NEA because of the funding for such radical “art” projects. Those who opposed such funding were accused of narrow-minded bigotry, censorship, and all manner of other appellations for simply calling for the cessation of using taxpayer funds for such anti-religious tripe.

AZfederalist on September 15, 2012 at 5:58 PM

golembythehudson on September 15, 2012 at 5:34 PM

We must hang together, gentlemen…else, we shall most assuredly hang separately.
– Benjamin Franklin
scrubjay on September 15, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Pamela Geller made several appearances on fox the past 2 day’s, check out her site the clips are there, she explains the problem more in three minutes than hotair will in a year

golembythehudson on September 15, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I live in Cerritos. Troy Aikman is a well known resident and NASCAR driver Robby Gordon is from Cerritos. I’m not sure if Michelle Kwan is from here or just practiced here but the local skating rink has a large banner proclaiming it the ‘home’ of Michelle.

Cerritos is about 60% Asian with a large number of them being retired. Somewhere I read that we are like second to Beverly Hills in some sort of income measurement. It’s a nice town here in a great location.

Inignort on September 15, 2012 at 6:04 PM

yeah, here she is this AM with tucker carlson

r keller on September 15, 2012 at 6:04 PM

golembythehudson on September 15, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I saw them. I’m a big Atlas Shrugs fan. My fear is for Hot Air. I went through the purges at Little Green Footballs and I wouldn’t want see it to happen here.

scrubjay on September 15, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Free Speech must be stopped before somebody is offended!

Obama’s re-election slogan.

profitsbeard on September 15, 2012 at 6:05 PM

lexhamfox on September 15, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Dhimmitude. Muslims murder people and they blame it on others. I guess the woman should have know better than to burn those eggs, or expect a beat down from hubby.

sharrukin on September 15, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Thank you for your comments regarding Ms. Geller and Mr. Spencer. I’ll be sure to check them out regularly. It’s too bad HA seems to have this particular “blind spot”.

kim roy on September 15, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Every time we talk about the movie, Obama laughs his a** off.

faraway on September 15, 2012 at 5:38 PM

…and Osama is causing waves at the bottom of the ocean floor.

KOOLAID2 on September 15, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Obama’s Arab Spring in full bloom

Schadenfreude on September 15, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Free Speech must be stopped before somebody is offended!

Obama’s re-election slogan.

profitsbeard on September 15, 2012 at 6:05 PM

It must be stopped before the truth about the hoax which is Obama is revealed.

Schadenfreude on September 15, 2012 at 6:18 PM

kim roy

Good for you. But Hannity? That guy is a shill, a loud mouth and an idiot (the perfect trifecta).

lostmotherland on September 15, 2012 at 5:19 PM

You forget Inconvenient as well.
As a censored Democrite you have absolutely no position to criticize any conservative media. Your phony and dis-honest self-appointing arbiter of shill media is so laughably ignorant -it embarrasses this fine HA forum.

That Hannity exposes the comedy and fraudulence of your Community Organizer President is inconsequential to the fact that you liberal socialists have allowed one of the greatest freedoms on this earth to be bastardized and abused for the same goals seen only in NON-Democratic countries.

Shame on you and all of the sycophant class who allow and choose convenience over truth.
I can deal with bias. Propaganda is unacceptable as a freedom.

Go back to Al Sharpton et al, and take you’re myopic Huffpo mentality with you.
And have a nice day also.

FlaMurph on September 15, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Its okay, the ACLU will be right in to rescue him on their white horses. Right?

txmomof6 on September 15, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Ok, this is officially outrageous and scary. Our President is actively trying to censor an artist by getting their film booted from Youtube. Now, they’re dragging the film maker into questioning under trumped up charges dealing with his finances? I can’t be the only one whose jaw hit the floor with these revelations. Where is the mother effing press?!

I’ve been around through enough presidential cycles to see the disgusting liberal press in overdrive trying to get their man elected but I have never seen the complete and utter abandonment of journalist ethics like I’ve seen in the last week. First, Romney’s statement, which was true when he said it and even more so now, given the actions of the WH in the last two days, is blown up into a full blown scandal, while the President reveals his staggering ignorance by declaring Egypt not an ally and makes shockingly aggressive moves to curtail free speech against an individual citizen that would make the former Soviet Union proud. And, the press? Crickets.

kit9 on September 15, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Trey Parker, Matt Stone and the cast of Monty Python next. Right?

Arnold Yabenson on September 15, 2012 at 6:26 PM

We’d better all pray Biden doesn’t say something off the cuff about Mohammad running a Dunkin’ Donuts and getting camel hairs in your cruller.

It could result in gaffe-mageddon.

profitsbeard on September 15, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I love the embedded local news report!

Ray Bradbury lives! Shades of the televised manhunt for Montag in Fahrenheit 451….

The video is “causing” violence? How could that be? Do none of these KTLA knuckleheads understand that words by me don’t “cause” actions by you? YOU cause actions by YOU! It’s like Smokey the Bear says, “Only You can prevent YOU from killing foreign ambassadors when you dislike a video.”

Franklin S on September 15, 2012 at 6:33 PM

The gay Ambassador was sodomized and killed in accordance with the koran,
can anyone protesting ChickFilA explain to me how that is good for Hussein ?

burrata on September 15, 2012 at 6:38 PM

…such as Robert Spencer’s Jihad Watch, who used to blog here before Ed Morrisey demanded he be fired

Whoa whoa whoa…is there some corroborative back story on this?

Sugarbuzz on September 15, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Whitehouse working with the media to apply perceived retribution to Nakoula? Would not surprise me in the least bit. A coordinated effort to “punish” a man because they see him as a threat to their campaign and election.

BruthaMan on September 15, 2012 at 6:48 PM

So how is this all playing out in the living room of Joe and Jane Undecided? What sort of defense of the first amendment are they serving them with news like this? From all the reports about the ‘video’ you’d think it had become some sort of physical entity armed with bad dialogue and poor production values that had forced itself on poor defenseless muslims who were then compelled to go on a bloody rampage against unbelievers and specifically the US (instead of simply NOT watching the video, which next to none of them I’m guessing have even seen it).

How will this type of witch hunt be spun as strong leadership to people about to go to the polls to vote? As bad as the financial and employment outlook is now, how can this type of misdirected government action benefit any American citizen? It will not make anyone safer, and should certainly not make any citizen prouder. A government ready to treat first amendment rights in this manner has truly overplayed their hand, but there’s enough media folks slipping them Races (that’s the race card-copyright, me with h/t ScoobyDoo)that they feel they can just bull their way through and bulls#!t the people via the press.

I’m ticked, to say the least.

CitizenEgg on September 15, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Look for this guy to be the first tried under blasphemy laws that Obama will enact by EO or one of his other unconstitutional methods if he gets another 4 years. Just typing “another 4 years” makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

TxAnn56 on September 15, 2012 at 6:49 PM

That actress lady they interviewed was absolutely pathetic. ‘Boo hoo, I didn’t like the way the movie was editied.’ Welcome to life, flake. Maybe you should just voluntarily place your head on the Muslim chopping block right now.

WhatSlushfund on September 15, 2012 at 6:55 PM

WhatSlushfund on September 15, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Well in her defense she thought she was getting $500 bucks for a few lines in a crappy movie, and instead found herself potentially doing frontline duty in a war with Islam.

sharrukin on September 15, 2012 at 6:57 PM

They aren’t after him for “parole violation”.

It’s the excuse being used to go after him.

Parole violation doesn’t warrant this attention. I’ve seen enough episodes of COPS to know that. :P

lorien1973 on September 15, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Thus far, there is NO parole violation. The feds simply “want to talk to him to see if he might have violated his terms of parole/probation”.

Isn’t it odd, though, that there were no questions about any “violations” on the 10th of September?

Solaratov on September 15, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Plan 9 From Outer Space

AGAIN. That film is HIGH ART.

Many truths are just not politically acceptable. Remember The Bell Curve?

slickwillie2001 on September 15, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I thought we were all still pretending that was never written.

Axe on September 15, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Trey Parker, Matt Stone and the cast of Monty Python next. Right?

Arnold Yabenson on September 15, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Don’t forget Ann Coulter. She’s on record for invading their countries, killing their leaders, and converting them to Christianity. That’s got to merit a LSM Fatwa.

Axe on September 15, 2012 at 7:10 PM

WhatSlushfund on September 15, 2012 at 6:55 PM

sharrukin on September 15, 2012 at 6:57

That changes nothing. 1) movies get edited. 2) we’re all on frontline duty in a war with Islam. This isn’t an optional thing. It’s just that most of us don’t realize it yet. Our society is completely under siege. And I’m past cutting people any slack on this anymore. I mean, c’mon, how dumb would somebody have to be, after all the carnage we’ve witnessed in the past 11 years alone, even if they’ve never opened the Koran, not to get this by now?

WhatSlushfund on September 15, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Probably not. But my understanding is that he was under court order to not use computers. This isn’t a situation where he looked up a Dodgers score or something. He engaged in a business, committed fraud (according to the actors), used an alias — all of which are big no-nos for someone in his situation. He probably would not have to the attention of authorities without this. But there is little question that he broke the terms of his release. The authorities can’t ignore that information once they have it.

Hal_10000 on September 15, 2012 at 7:11 PM

lostmotherland on September 15, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Are you really that stupid…or do you just act that way for the amusement of HotAir posters?

Solaratov on September 15, 2012 at 7:15 PM

WhatSlushfund on September 15, 2012 at 6:55 PM

sharrukin on September 15, 2012 at 6:57 PM

No kidding. I could only watch about 6 minutes of it before starting to MST3K it and gave up. Obviously we aren’t talking high quality and I wouldn’t be surprised if the producer went to unemployment offices and community acting “classes” and asked random people if they wanted to make a few bucks by being in his movie – they can keep their clothes on – and they wouldn’t have to pay tax on it.

SIGH.

So I can’t blame anyone being worried and even scared when the world is now seeing this idiot clip beside pics of an US ambassador being killed and rioting morons.

kim roy on September 15, 2012 at 7:24 PM

WhatSlushfund on September 15, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Never underestimate the stupidity or unawareness of the average person. There’s a good percentage (over 50%, can’t recall specific number) that have no idea who Joe Biden is, nevermind the ME and the eventual outcome of pandering to Islam.

kim roy on September 15, 2012 at 7:27 PM

sharrukin on September 15, 2012 at 6:57 PM

As you’ve been argued with, I keep coming back to this.

Look, for $500 — if I keep my clothes on — I’ll wear any funny hat you can make and say anything you’d like. I dunno — maybe not blasphemy. Maybe. I’ll pray about it. Anyway, I’m available for inflammatory low budget films.

Axe on September 15, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Americans recognize the real issue. We have a complete failure in the oval office that makes jimmy carter look like a complete success as a foreign policy president. Everything else is a distraction by the slobbering press.

karenhasfreedom on September 15, 2012 at 7:35 PM

kim roy on September 15, 2012 at 7:24 PM

She’s obviously scared. She knows enough about Islam to know what it means and the news reports will inform her of the rest. This isn’t something that any of us can run from but most people aren’t aware of that.

sharrukin on September 15, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Well, Glenn Reynolds gets it:

When taking office, the President does not swear to create jobs. He does not swear to “grow the economy.” He does not swear to institute “fairness.” The only oath the President takes is this one:

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

By sending — literally — brownshirted enforcers to engage in — literally — a midnight knock at the door of a man for the non-crime of embarrassing the President of the United States and his administration, President Obama violated that oath. You can try to pretty this up (It’s just about possible probation violations! Sure.), or make excuses or draw distinctions, but that’s what’s happened. It is a betrayal of his duties as President, and a disgrace.

He won’t resign, of course. First, the President has the appreciation of free speech that one would expect from a Chicago Machine politician, which is to say, none. Second, he’s not getting any pressure. Indeed, the very press that went crazy over Ari Fleischer’s misrepresented remarks seems far less interested in the actions of an administration that I repeat, literally sent brown-shirted enforcers to launch a midnight knock on a filmmaker’s door.

But Obama’s behavior — and that of his enablers in the press — has laid down a marker for those who are paying attention. By these actions he is, I repeat, unfit to hold office. I hope and expect that the voters will agree in November.

It’s the deputies who should be covering their faces out of shame, but the real shame is on the man at the top of the hierarchy.

That last part is something I’ve been thinking about all day. Those California police officers, their faces in plain sight, should be roared down upon by the citizens of their city, their state, their nation. They should be SHAMED out of their jobs. THEY are the citizens who should be afraid to go outside, afraid of what’s waiting there. SHAME ON THEM. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME! They have violated their oath just as the president has. THESE ARE THE PEOPLE THE US CONSTITUTION IS SUPPOSED TO BE PROTECTING US FROM.

Rational Thought on September 15, 2012 at 7:41 PM

What does it say about Muslims here (or anywhere actually) that one has legitimate concerns about identifying the neighborhood of a man hated by Muslims for insulting Islam? Frankly it says that Muslims are dangerous, to be feared, yes not all of them but we know there are likely enough killers for Allah among Muslims to make this concern reasonable. After all, under Islamic law in many Islamic lands such an infidel as this film maker would surely be executed. It should be widely known that Muhammad, the perfect example of Muslim behavior according to the Koran, had his critics assassinated. Muhammad’s Islam is hardly a “religion of peace”.

Clearly the larger the Muslim population grows the larger this subgroup of willing executioners that we all fear. I think it is reasonable (and doable) and responsible to restrict Muslim immigration. We have the right to restrict whom we like (it’s our country) and we have the right not to live in fear of death because someone nearby exercised his free speech.

Chessplayer on September 15, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Hal_10000 on September 15, 2012 at 7:11 PM

All assumptions on your part. He may certainly made the movie, but it could have been put on the internet by someone else, perhaps in his family or someone else involved in the filming. In fact he could have put it on the internet himself with a cellphone.

Re ‘the use of an alias’, he was using an alias to the same extent that we all do here, if he personally opened the youtube account. It would be reasonable for someone on probation for fraud to believe that point of his probation terms related to the use of a false identity for purposes of financial fraud.

This is all very weak.

slickwillie2001 on September 15, 2012 at 7:53 PM

imagine if someone disclosed the home addresses of all the reporters…

equanimous on September 15, 2012 at 7:54 PM

* le sigh *

Mr. ED Morrissey — we went to high school together.

You were behind me though. You’re also a little off on your dates. Cerritos High School opened in 1973. I was in the very first graduating class that attended Cerritos High School all 4-years starting the following school year after it opened — and I graduated in 1978. We would have attended Gahr High School otherwise. Doh!

I grew up in Cerritos [11-yrs old to adult]. My elderly mother and father still live in the same house. They’re Nakoula Bessely Nakoula’s neighbors — just a couple of streets away.

I know exactly where that guy lives. I even know his exact street address. Not that the NEWS media hasn’t made it more difficult for the blood-thirsty savages to find his house — his neighborhood — already.

The ingress/egress for his residence in proximity to major roadways and three freeways — as well as on foot — practically makes his residence a Muslim hitman’s dream location. And it is definitely just a question of when — not if.

FlatFoot on September 15, 2012 at 7:55 PM

lexhamfox on September 15, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Any Coptic blood spilt will be a result of the attacker, not of the film. Therefore, the only value of your post is to demonstrate the dhimmi attitude of blaming the victims for not submitting enough to the attacker.

I never expected much from Obama, but letting violence from Muslims push him into making an official request to YouTube to remove the video, and publicly blaming the film maker, is even lower than I thought he would go.

The only proper response is to explain to the offended Muslims that we have free speech, and their threats and acts of violence will not cause the U.S. government to become their enforcer for perceived crimes of blasphemy.

tom on September 15, 2012 at 8:10 PM

imagine if someone disclosed the home addresses of all the reporters…

equanimous on September 15, 2012 at 7:54 PM

That would be appropriate justice!!! The MSM has been committing “hate crimes” against Conservatives/Republicans/Tea Party for years!!!

And such an action might cause the Lefties to remember what “Freedom of Speech” is, and why we have incorporated it into our Constitution.

…and maybe even why we have a Constitution!!!!

landlines on September 15, 2012 at 8:11 PM

There’s at least one more ‘celebrity’ — The Bionic WomanLindsay Wagner. I was friends with her brother, Mark Wagner. Although, to be fair, her parents were divorced and she came to Cerritos for a few weeks each summer and visited frequently during the rest of the year staying with her remarried Dad — so she didn’t really grow up in Cerritos. Her Dad’s home had a swimming pool in their backyard. Sometimes when she came to visit she’d take a dip in the pool. That’s right — I watched late 20′s through early 30′s Lindsay Wagner swimming and sunbathing in a bikini more than once.

By the way, Mr. ED Morrissey, I went to Carmenita Jr. High School with Dwayne Epstein. We even did a Marx Brothers talent show skit together in 8th grade. I just GIS’d him and he lives in Long Beach now.

FlatFoot on September 15, 2012 at 8:27 PM

OT, but only slightly: Attempted jihad attack in Chicago. (Of course, AP makes you wait until paragraph nine before you learn that it was a jihadi.)

AP: Teen charged with trying to blow up Chicago bar

CHICAGO (AP) — Undercover FBI agents arrested an 18-year-old American man who tried to detonate what he believed was a car bomb outside a downtown Chicago bar, federal prosecutors said Saturday.

Adel Daoud, a U.S. citizen from the Chicago suburb of Hillside, was arrested Friday night in an undercover operation in which agents pretending to be terrorists provided him with a phony car bomb.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office in Chicago, which announced the arrest Saturday, said the device was harmless and the public was never at risk.

Daoud is charged with attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction and attempting to damage and destroy a building with an explosive.

Someone who answered a call to Daoud’s home in Hillside on Saturday who said her name was Hiba and that she was Daoud’s sister declined to discuss Daoud, the family or the arrest.

“We don’t even know anything. We don’t know that much. We know as little as you do,” she said. “They’re just accusations.”

“We’d like to be left alone,” she said.

The FBI began monitoring Daoud after he posted material online about violent jihad and the killing of Americans, federal prosecutors said.

In May, two undercover FBI agents contacted Daoud in response to the postings and exchanged several electronic messages with him in which he expressed an interest in engaging in violent jihad in the United States or abroad, according to an affidavit by an

WhatSlushfund on September 15, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Oops, that got cut off. Oh well, you can go to the link.

WhatSlushfund on September 15, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Remember when the cast members apologized for appearing in the Christian comedy, “Saved”.

hawkdriver on September 15, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I’d also like to point out that when Islamo-Nazis, half a world away, kill our diplomats, Obama’s solution is to turn the State against the citizens of this country.

Weight of Glory on September 15, 2012 at 4:35 PM

And to turn his failure into an attack against our First Amendment freedoms.

petefrt on September 15, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Paging the ACLU….ACLU come in…..

If only he were an abortionist rather than simply practicing free speech.

R Square on September 15, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Sign the White House petition to stop the Sony film about killing Osama…not that we condone suppressing speech, but since movies are now responsible for Muslims being offended, well, let’s play their game.

Nutstuyu on September 15, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Somebody tell me why these islamo-fanatics don’t have any problem with all the porno flics made? Perhaps because they agree with the exploitation of women…?

devan95 on September 15, 2012 at 10:37 PM

We didn’t plead nolo to fraud charges and get released on condition of not using aliases. At the very least, brining him in to answer some questions — giving his felony convictions and there is a good reason to believe he has violated parole conditions — is not unreasonable.

Hal_10000 on September 15, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Hal_10000 on September 15, 2012 at 10:52 PM

If it’s a simple matter of parole, why didn’t his parole officer knock on his door a one-o’clock in the afternoon? Why the midnight ‘visit’ by four or five feds?

Why weren’t those questions saved for his regular mandated visit to his parole officer’s office?

slickwillie2001 on September 15, 2012 at 11:11 PM

HoneyB’s didn’t read this post.

You just wasted yours and our time even writing it.

The Headline should have been

BARRY’S THUGS ARREST ANTI-ISLAMIC FILM MAKER FOR THOUGHTCRIME: DRAWS MUSLIM KILLERS A MAP TO HIS DOOR.

papertiger on September 16, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Gosh darnnit, I don’t care about a “distinctive front door”, why won’t the media tell me what kind of garden gnomes he has? Pink flamingos? Humming bird feeders? Wind chimes? Inquiring minds want to know!

oryguncon on September 16, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Just like ‘Fast and Furious’

… Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on September 16, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Scape. Goat.

Kenosha Kid on September 16, 2012 at 1:47 AM

This whole thing stinks. It’s taken a while for me to realize how much. The Egyptian Copts have been burned alive in their churches and now the whole world must burn because someone struck back with strong words? This is the same grievance theatre we’ve become so very familiar with since 9/11… assisted with mortars, heavy machine machine guns and RPGs.

theCork on September 16, 2012 at 2:43 AM

The Egyptian embassy issued a mealy mouthed pronouncement about a video that “hurt feelings” to crowds who think nothing of murdering and burning down Christian (coptic) churches of its citizens. Our government, our embassy, totally silent on the religious persecution there in Egypt.

The problem with persecuting this particular video maker, is that it did not have to be this video, it might have been some other video, and they only have to say that it is offensive, like this week Peanut butter magically because a racial slur, it is in the mind of the beholder. They can just as easily fake an offensive video.

I think the only answer is to cut off You Tube if they can’t behave. No more You tube in uncivilized adolescent countries.

It was plain that this was a 911 attack, and the video was just used to whip the crowd into a frenzy.

Fleuries on September 16, 2012 at 6:45 AM