Video: Full “Lincoln” trailer

posted at 8:41 pm on September 14, 2012 by Allahpundit

I promised it to you on Monday and now here it is. Hey, remember when I wondered whether the full trailer would reveal a spare, sober portrait of Lincoln or a warm bucket of melodramatic schmaltz? Here’s our answer. Hope you guys don’t mind schmaltz for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, because there’s enough here to make leftovers for days.

Looks excruciatingly didactic, but I’ll probably go anyway just because Daniel Day-Lewis in freaky deaky method mode is the closest we’ll ever get to the real Lincoln.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I! DRINK! YOUR! SLAVE’S SHAKE!

Jim Treacher on September 14, 2012 at 8:45 PM

It bugs me when anyone compliments an actor on their portrayal of an historical figure that was never recorded or filmed. How do you know they did a good job?

Mark1971 on September 14, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Where’s the part where he kills vampires?

Mr. Prodigy on September 14, 2012 at 8:47 PM

O Lordy, Hollywood – please leave poor Abe alone.

whatcat on September 14, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Not a single mention of vampires, I’m quite perplexed how that happened.

ButterflyDragon on September 14, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Lincoln is in my bottom 5 Presidents of all time. He saved the union. By destroying it. He’s the “Precedent” that tore the fatal hole in the Constitution.

After Lincoln the Union was no longer consensual. And thus, neither was federal power.

wildcat72 on September 14, 2012 at 8:48 PM

This trailer most certainly will rage anger in the ME..

Just because…

Electrongod on September 14, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Mark1971 on September 14, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Cuz the actor does the whole infamous, trendy over the top “I’m an arteest” emo shtick.

whatcat on September 14, 2012 at 8:50 PM

wildcat72 on September 14, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Who’s at the bottom of your list?

Electrongod on September 14, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Wait a minute, aren’t movie trailers usually designed to convince people to see the movie? This trailer certainly misses the mark – this looks like a real bomb.

Pork-Chop on September 14, 2012 at 8:53 PM

wildcat72 on September 14, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Who’s at the bottom of your list?

Electrongod on September 14, 2012 at 8:51 PM

My bottom 5:

40. Wilson
41. FDR
42. Lincoln
43. Carter
44. Obama

I don’t like Presidents that are horribly inept and/or who walk all over the Constitution. Or in the case of Wilson are pure evil.

wildcat72 on September 14, 2012 at 8:54 PM

You’re forgetting something Allah (maybe.) I suspect we’ll get a kick ass realistic depiction of Civil War Battle in this film ala Private Ryan.

Every attempt to depict it (except maybe “Glory”) has been painfully inept. Spielberg knows how to film a battle scene.

AYNBLAND on September 14, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I think I’ll skip this. When any person is regarded as god-like (our current president most definitely included), it means the truth hasn’t come out yet. But I am curious to know if this film mentions even once that Lincoln was a Republican.

Hermeticus on September 14, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Mark1971 on September 14, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I can’t remember where I saw them, so no cites, but there were numerous contemporary descriptions of his mannerisms and voice.

eeyore on September 14, 2012 at 8:55 PM

“… millions unborn…”

Probably what motivated Sanger to her crusade against Blacks.

socalcon on September 14, 2012 at 8:55 PM

40. Wilson
41. FDR
42. Lincoln
43. Carter
44. Obama

wildcat72 on September 14, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Fair enough..

Electrongod on September 14, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Spielburg sucks.

rrpjr on September 14, 2012 at 8:58 PM

You just never change, sweetknees! It’s a flippin’ trailer…of course it’s schmaltz! Hello! Reserve judgement as you’ve seen a whole minute and a half of a two hour movie!
Just my opinion.

Chewy the Lab on September 14, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Lincoln is my favorite historical figure and I could watch DDL read a phonebook for two hours, but this trailer doesn’t excite me at all. How did Spielberg manage this?

Also, is that Bears centerfielder Kelly Leek talking to Abe?

Go RBNY on September 14, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I remember people calling Saving Private Ryan “Schmaltzy” because the trailer was pretty much exactly that—schmaltzy Spielberg feel-good moviemaking….

…but then they sat through the first 30 minutes of that movie and felt cinema history shift beneath them.

I’m not saying we’ll see the same effect since the book isn’t about the horrific nature of the war (though if anyone can depict the true horror of the civil war on film, the man who made Saving Private Ryan would be the best bet), but maybe we’ll see more of his vibe from Munich (with whom he worked with the same scriptwriter) and get a decent movie.

Khorum on September 14, 2012 at 8:59 PM

wildcat72 on September 14, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Yes, Lincoln was a bit of a dictator, but war impressed that on him. Bad precedents were invoked, such as an income tax. I don’t know why he thought the South was worth fighting for and I say that as someone from the South. Slavery certainly should have been put an end to. That’s the only good thing that came out of it. America has been in a slow decline, ever since.

rickv404 on September 14, 2012 at 9:01 PM

… that doesn’t look very good. Just doesn’t capture the imagination.

AndStatistics on September 14, 2012 at 9:01 PM

SouthernGent on September 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM

What’s with all the fading to black? It’s kind of distracting and seems like something a wannabe film maker would do to pretend to be a real film maker.

DiscePati on September 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Eh – a bit of overacting in that clip.

I’ll skip it.

gophergirl on September 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I think that trail or hurt my feelings.

Curtiss on September 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM

During the infamous debates with Douglass, Lincoln stated, “There is a physical difference between the two (races), which in my judgment will probably forever forbid their living together upon the equal footing of equality . . .” However, he also stated that Negroes had rights under the Declaration of Independence. Equal….sorta.

This may be old news to many of you, but I am always intrigued by this quote of Lincoln’s, “My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union”.

From the brief trailer, it looks like Lincoln is portrayed a bit different in this movie.

TeaTrekkie on September 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Liberal actors and liberal director…

unlisted on September 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Carter nor Obooba killed half a million Americans.

Akzed on September 14, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I think of the common MST3K riffline – “Oh boy, now we doing to see some acting!” – at about this clip’s 1 minute mark.

whatcat on September 14, 2012 at 9:03 PM

rickv404 on September 14, 2012 at 9:01 PM

The union was created by states. Any state that enters it should have the right to leave it.

Thanks to Lincoln the federal government became all powerful. Do I sympathize (and I am Southern) with what he ended up doing? Of course. I don’t like the idea of the state owning me, I certainly don’t like the idea of another individual owning me.

The civil war was NOT fought over slavery, it was fought over keeping all states in the union and for federal power. Lincoln was no idealist when it comes to slavery, he waited until he was on the verge OF LOSING THE WAR to free them, and, indeed, his proclamation only freed slaves in states that weren’t at that time in the union anyway!

wildcat72 on September 14, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Lincoln ended slavery on the backs of hundreds of thousands of dead bodies, but in doing so he ended states’ rights. SouthernGent on September 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM

If he ended slavery, then what was the purpose of the 13th Amendment?

Akzed on September 14, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Video: Full “Lincoln” trailer

You went full Lincoln, man. Never go full Lincoln.

Mary in LA on September 14, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Hmmm. I truly think this could be one of the best discussions I’ve seen on HA for a very long time. A true debate, not posters just b*&#hing or wanting to see their names.
Personally, I think I’ll keep an open mind and go see it. So there!

Chewy the Lab on September 14, 2012 at 9:06 PM

If he ended slavery, then what was the purpose of the 13th Amendment?

Akzed on September 14, 2012 at 9:04 PM

It can be argued that the 13th Amendment was ratified illegally. The southern states that had rebelled were FORCED to do so as a condition of ending Reconstruction.

Ending slavery could have been done better than at the cost of hundreds of thousands of American lives AND destroying forever the concept of a limited federal government that served the states rather than vice versa.

wildcat72 on September 14, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Not a dime of my money will ever go in Spielberg’s pocket anyway, but in this ‘whitewash’ of Lincoln, which no doubt it surely is, not a moment of my time will be spent either.

Of course, Hollywood wants to do this, after all Lincoln was a ‘moderate Republican’, the kind we don’t, in their estimation, have today.

As a rule, when Hollywood does any movie dealing with the South or The War, it is smarmy propaganda anyway.

As to Lincoln himself, he is the only president that ever suspended Habeas Corpus rights guaranteed under the Constitution in his efforts to impose federal government control over the states, and this evil and dangerous precedent haunts the nation still. He did not save this country, he saved absolute federal government control over her. He didn’t even free the slaves except those living in the South. He was quite happy to let the practice continue in Illinois and the North. The history of this man is so full of bullshit, as will the history of Obama likely will be.

TXUS on September 14, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I think that trail or hurt my feelings.

Curtiss on September 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM

In fact, I’m so insulted that I’m having trouble spelling.

Curtiss on September 14, 2012 at 9:07 PM

wildcat72 on September 14, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Folks, these are the kind of Libertarians that will lose us a couple needed States and give us Obama for another 4 Years.

Jefferson Davis, Judge Napolitano and Ron Paul….that would make this kook above happy.

AYNBLAND on September 14, 2012 at 9:07 PM

rickv404 on September 14, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Frankly, the South as it stood wasn’t worth saving, and would have inevitably collapsed on its own. But the problem was that slavery had turned half the nation cancerous, morally and militarily. Any chance of letting the hideous institution of slavery die out on its own pretty much ended after the invention of the cotton gin…and when they shelled Fort Sumter he really had no choice. Anything short of full-out war with unconditional surrender as the endgame would’ve spelled a permanent end to the USA.

As for the bawling about ‘dictatorial powers’ and the like, I’d like to point out that the Union was facing tens of thousands of rebel soldiers on its homeland, with the very real possibility of Washington DC being overrun. When your nation’s survival is at stake that seriously, it really is not the time to play ‘mother may I’.

MelonCollie on September 14, 2012 at 9:09 PM

AYNBLAND on September 14, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Really? I am a kook because I dislike Lincoln for setting the precedents that ALL FUTURE violators of the Constitution used to subvert it?

Lincoln suspended Habeus Corpus. He arrested people for being against the war. He made FDR’s internment camps possible. He CREATED the military draft! He crushed forever the power of states and enhanced forever the power of Washington!

He didn’t do any of it to end slavery. He did it to prevent the diminishing of his own power and the federal state he ran…

wildcat72 on September 14, 2012 at 9:11 PM

AYNBLAND on September 14, 2012 at 9:07 PM

MelonCollie on September 14, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Yay. It’s the Civil Slave War again.

Well, of course. It’s Steven Spielberg’s trophy hunt for this year. It’s gotta be.

Moesart on September 14, 2012 at 9:13 PM

MelonCollie on September 14, 2012 at 9:11 PM

The victorious side in the War of the Northern Aggression had it’s own form of slavery vigorously practiced both before, during, and after the war. It was called “indentured servitude”. Look it up. There were laws to protect slaves. None at all for the many Irish and other immigrants who had to endure their own slavery in the great enlightened North…

wildcat72 on September 14, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Ever noticed that internet posters b!tching about Lincoln rarely if ever have anything to say about the cruelty of the society he was fighting? I’ve got a Christian history book with some pretty scathing indictments. MelonCollie on September 14, 2012 at 9:11 PM

So every nation that outlawed slavery needed a fratricidal war to do so?

Akzed on September 14, 2012 at 9:15 PM

My bottom 5:

40. Wilson
41. FDR
42. Lincoln
43. Carter
44. Obama

wildcat72 on September 14, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Nah, that list should read –

37. TR
38. Wilson
39. Hoover
40. Obama
41. Bush II
42. Nixon
43. Johnson
44. FDR

That’s eight, but I can’t resist adding the ones I hate most.

rickv404 on September 14, 2012 at 9:17 PM

No comments about activist Participant Media being involved in this movie?

eforhan on September 14, 2012 at 9:17 PM

“Either a constitutional amendment or a negotiated peace, not both”

And Lincoln did neither. I hope the movie portrays why Lincoln instead used an Executive Order to abolish slavery in only those places in the Confederate States that were not under occupation by Union troops. For example: New Orleans was not included in Lincoln’s EO and therefore slavey was not abolished there by Lincoln’s EO.

Texas Gal on September 14, 2012 at 9:18 PM

is that Bears centerfielder Kelly Leek

Huh?

Bears?

The Bad News Bears?

Bruno Strozek on September 14, 2012 at 9:19 PM

The victorious side in the War of the Northern Aggression
wildcat72 on September 14, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I’m hazarding a guess you’re located south of Mason-Dixon.

whatcat on September 14, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Is the music Aaron Copland or John Williams’s or John Williams take on Aaron Copland? I played Copland’s Lincoln piece and heard similar themes but not the exact tune.

schmitty on September 14, 2012 at 9:20 PM

“Either a constitutional amendment or a negotiated peace, not both”

Texas Gal on September 14, 2012 at 9:18 PM

And if the cause was about ending slavery, or the conquest of the South was so popular in the North, why did Lincoln have to introduce, for the first time in our history, INVOLUNTARY military conscription (ie: the draft) to be able to field an army?

Thus setting the precedent that allowed, for example, Baby Boomers to be forced to fight in Vietnam?

Lincoln was a bad bad man…

wildcat72 on September 14, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Unfortunately the first 30 minutes was the only redeeming part of Saving Private Ryan. The remaineder of the movie was very schmaltzy.

ironmarshal on September 14, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Hollywood finally makes a movie where the Republican isn’t the bad guy.

Of course, he gets killed in the end.

Yeah, spoiler alert.

SteveMG on September 14, 2012 at 9:21 PM

But, but… Obama is Lincoln. Not this white guy.

nitzsche on September 14, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I’m hazarding a guess you’re located south of Mason-Dixon.

whatcat on September 14, 2012 at 9:19 PM

South of the Ohio River…

wildcat72 on September 14, 2012 at 9:22 PM

So what Happy Meals toys are going to be marketed with this flick?

Akzed on September 14, 2012 at 9:22 PM

MelonCollie on September 14, 2012 at 9:09 PM

“Rebel soldiers”? These were American citizens supposedly protected under a Constitution that their states’ and they agreed to follow. It was Lincoln who violated that pact to begin with, and this country would not be in the mess it’s in today had those Americans “overrun” DC back then. Slavery was dying its own sorry death anyway, but it was Lincoln who declared war on the Constitution and imposed federal rule over the states, a dictate that lives today over all of us.

The ends do not justify the means, ever, something communists and libs have a hard time understanding, of course.

TXUS on September 14, 2012 at 9:23 PM

It looks like this movie is all about slavery.

Bo Ring.

jaime on September 14, 2012 at 9:25 PM

When your nation’s survival is at stake that seriously, it really is not the time to play ‘mother may I’. MelonCollie on September 14, 2012 at 9:09 PM

As in, “mother may I leave the Union on the same bases the colonies left Great Britain?”

Akzed on September 14, 2012 at 9:25 PM

lincoln was one of the greatest men to ever live. you alls is crazy.

truecon on September 14, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Lincoln was a Tyrant and treated the Constitution worse than Obama.

dom89031 on September 14, 2012 at 9:26 PM

TXUS on September 14, 2012 at 9:23 PM

The civil war never should have happened.

Slavery should have been outlawed at the outset of this country. Ironically, the reason why it wasn’t was that the North, which largely desired a more powerful federal government allowed it as a compromise to get the South to agree to give the federal government more power than the Articles of Confederation by ratifying it…

wildcat72 on September 14, 2012 at 9:26 PM

PLEASE: STOP THIS BLEETING!

AWFUL!

reliapundit on September 14, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Lincoln eventually whipped the snot out of the south. Proving once again that the South is all bark and no bite.

They’re embarrassed that a pussoir like Lincoln eventually KO’d their redneck arses.

rickyricardo on September 14, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Tangential: Finished reading “Abrahm Lincoln Vampire Hunter just a few minutes ago. Don’t bother. Vapid. I got far enough into that I finished it in the belief that perhaps it would become interesting or have some redeeming qualities. Wrong on both accounts.

obladioblada on September 14, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Wisconsin judge strikes down Walker’s collective-bargaining law

Probably a descendent of Lincoln’s. At lest ideologically.

Akzed on September 14, 2012 at 9:29 PM

rickyricardo on September 14, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Lincoln was born in Kentucky. Ironically only miles from where Jefferson Davis was born, also in Kentucky.

The state I was born in…

wildcat72 on September 14, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Lincoln is one of my favorite people of all time. I must say that Daniel Day-Lewis is phenomenal and channels Lincoln based upon this trailer.

the new aesthetic on September 14, 2012 at 9:30 PM

obladioblada on September 14, 2012 at 9:29 PM

The book was called “Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter.” What could possibly have given you the idea that it would be interesting or have redeeming qualities?

philoquin on September 14, 2012 at 9:31 PM

LINCOLN WAS NO TYRANT: HE NEVER BANNED JUMBO DRINKS OF MORE THAN 16 OUNCES!

reliapundit on September 14, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Hollywood finally makes a movie where the Republican isn’t the bad guy.

Of course, he gets killed in the end.

Yeah, spoiler alert.

SteveMG on September 14, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Killed by an actor, no less.

Infidoll on September 14, 2012 at 9:32 PM

During the 5oth Anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg in 1913, arrangements were made for a joint reunion of Union and Confederate veterans. The commission in charge of the event made sure they had enough accommodations for the black Union veterans, but were completely surprised when unexpected black Confederates arrived. The white Confederates immediately welcomed their old comrades, gave them one of their tents, and “saw to their every need”. Nearly every Confederate reunion including those blacks that served with them, wearing the gray.

Akzed on September 14, 2012 at 9:33 PM

I’m shocked old Abe didn’t mention Obama.

Maybe later in the film…yah, that’s gotta be it.

katy on September 14, 2012 at 9:34 PM

wildcat72 on September 14, 2012 at 9:21 PM

That was a rhetorical question, huh?

Lincoln freed the slaves in parts of the South that were not under Union occupation in hopes the slaves would take up arms against their masters and kill them.

It was a last resort strategy that didn’t work.

Texas Gal on September 14, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I hear John Wilke Booth was played by Don Rickles.

rickyricardo on September 14, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Akzed on September 14, 2012 at 9:25 PM

The CSA should have brought that up when it surrendered at Appomattox.

whatcat on September 14, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Looks great. Can’t wait.
Come one Allah, contrarians are icky. Open your mind.
Here’s my eclectic list of the greatest movies OF ALL TIME! (that I could think of)

Tree of Life (greatest movie)
Winters Bone
Memento
Sophie Scholl
United 93
WIN/WIN
Downfall
Exit through the Giftshop (Doc)
The September Issue (Doc)
Buchowski (Doc)
Whale rider
American Graffiti
Godfather 1 & 2
Warrior

AmeriCuda on September 14, 2012 at 9:36 PM

the new aesthetic on September 14, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I wish you’d take more than a superficial “he ended slavery” which is taught in government schools look at his ACTUAL RECORD.

Lincoln was our first King-President.

wildcat72 on September 14, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I hope he doesn’t throw a table napkin over his head and then deliver his Gettysburg Address as if he were having a conversation with an imaginary third party just to get the crowd’s attention.

“So, ladies and gentlemen–if I say I’m an oil man the 16th President of these United States Of America, you will agree….”

Dime IV on September 14, 2012 at 9:39 PM

The Revolutionary War was the result of the colonies having NO democratic representation.

The Insurrection of 1861 was the result of a certain political party (the Democrats, natch) losing an election and throwing a hissy fit. That killed millions.

pauljc on September 14, 2012 at 9:40 PM

The only presidents that have done as much or more damage to the Constitution, and thus our country, than Lincoln were Teddy Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, FDR, and Obama, the last perhaps responsible for the most damage done. That is why this election is more important than any in the last 150 years. We’ve got to put a stop to the undermining of our foundation, the Constitution, we’re running out of f**king time.

And, Romney won’t necessarily stop it, but he’ll at least slow it down from the trajectory it’s on, off the cliff. God save us.

TXUS on September 14, 2012 at 9:41 PM

When they were filming in Richmond, I went downtown to dinner with 8 friends. We were seated and everyone on the other side of the table started taking pictures of those of us on my side.

Turns out, Daniel Day-Lewis was sitting 1 foot behind me with some chick. I thought my pals were showing some love to my side of the table.

Lewis was a nice sport. He saw what was going on, and after he ate he came over and hammed it up for a few minutes and let us take more pix.

I’m not a big movie buff and honestly didn’t even recognize the guy. But, he definitely made a good impression on the Hollywood followers in my group.

BacaDog on September 14, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Lol @ the people criticizing one of our greatest Presidents, Lincoln — only on HotAir. Let me guess, you guys are white?

stuckinwisconsin on September 14, 2012 at 9:51 PM

For all you so-called Constitution loving Conservatives who love states rights and can’t stand Obama, yet “LOVE” Lincoln…learn your history!

Did the emancipation proclamation free the slaves? No. It established and permited slavery.

Did Lincoln want to free the slaves? No. Lincoln didn’t care if there were slaves or not. Lincoln’s only goal was to keep the southern states in the government because they needed to collect duties from the ports in the southern states and without that revenue there could be no large federal gevernment.

Lincoln arrested over 3000 NORTHERN journalist and reporters and had them tried in front of military tribunals which were all invalidated after his death by the same Supreme Court he appointed.

When Maryland was going to enact legislation that he did not like he sent troops in and arrested every single Maryland legislator.

He argued against the right to secession but caused West Virginia to seperate from Virginia so he could have two more Senators in the Senate and more representatives in the House of Representatives.

He was the most tryannical, least ingenuous, least faithful to the Constitution president we have ever had in American history.

His troops burnt courthouses, raped women, robbed banks and killed civilians on a massive scale all in the name of a “defensive” war.

dom89031 on September 14, 2012 at 9:53 PM

pauljc on September 14, 2012 at 9:40 PM

TXUS on September 14, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Funny those two following each other. I think that if the Dems lose in 2012 it will be pretty ugly. Worth it but ugly.

ORconservative on September 14, 2012 at 9:54 PM

The CSA should have brought that up when it surrendered at Appomattox.

whatcat on September 14, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Actually, the CSA didn’t surrender at Appomattox. Lee surrendered the Army of Northern Virginia that day as its commander. It was effectively the end of the war, but Jeff Davis and the CSA government had fled Richmond and were scattered or already captured.

BacaDog on September 14, 2012 at 9:55 PM

rickyricardo on September 14, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Lincoln did no such thing. Probably what doomed the South more than anything was its hot Summers. That meant fewer white people. That meant demanding slaves work in the heat to harvest the cotton. That also meant a civil war with approximately six million Southern whites against at least twenty million Northern whites. It was hardly a contest.

rickv404 on September 14, 2012 at 9:56 PM

stuckinwisconsin on September 14, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Presidents aren’t great. For the most part, they are meddlers. Freedom is what made this country, not presidents or congresses.

rickv404 on September 14, 2012 at 9:59 PM

wildcat72 on September 14, 2012 at 8:48 PM

At first I thought you were full of it. Then thinking about it I realize you make a good point. Very complicated issue. Events since 1900 have proven you right. Lincoln was trying to preserve the nation as he saw it.

But hey we got Chicago jesus now so its all good. :(

arnold ziffel on September 14, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Hermeticus on September 14, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Hawhawhaw!!!!!

BJ* on September 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM

rickyricardo on September 14, 2012 at 9:28 PM

You’re an idiot. For 4 years, the confederate army defeated an army of superior force on numerous battlefields. Lee was a master at forcing the Union army to fight him on his terms, at his place of choice.

Lincoln was under tremendous pressure in 1864 to end the hostilities due to numerous defeats and a staggering loss of life. His problem was General McClellan. He constantly overestimated The size of Lee’s forces, and simply wouldn’t take the fight to Lee.

As a last resort, Lincoln enacted the emancipation proclamation to strengthen the resolve of the north, fired McClellan and replaced him with Grant. Grant sought out Lee’s forces and pursued them mercilessly as he knew a war of attrition was a war he would win.

BacaDog on September 14, 2012 at 10:07 PM

DDL is the closest we’ll ever get to Lincoln? I’d rather spend eternity in a flaming 4 x 4 cube with the Royal Dano animatronic Abe. DDL is skeevy.

Watched the trailer yesterday. Uninteresting. Annoying soundtrack. Bad editing. The merits of the set design and costuming are yet to be determined. Can’t wait to see it.

tuffy on September 14, 2012 at 10:09 PM

The CSA should have brought that up when it surrendered at Appomattox.
whatcat on September 14, 2012 at 9:35 PM

BacaDog on September 14, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Lee was the de facto commander of the CSA forces. But you are correct in that it took a few months for the rest of the CSA to surrender – it took awhile for word to get around that Lee had surrendered.

whatcat on September 14, 2012 at 10:09 PM

dom89031 on September 14, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Confederates: They loved the constitution so much they started a war to free themselves from it. Shut up, it makes sense.

pauljc on September 14, 2012 at 10:15 PM

If only poor old Major Hassan had murdered a few thousand more loyal American soldiers, he might have gone down as big a hero as Robert E. Lee.

pauljc on September 14, 2012 at 10:18 PM

nice. some people need to get over the civil war.

sesquipedalian on September 14, 2012 at 10:28 PM

whatcat on September 14, 2012 at 10:09 PM

True, Lee was viewed as the supreme commander, but he didn’t view himself that way.

Although Lee was a master tactician, his biggest blunder was strategic. After the second battle of Bull Run, (Manassas to you Yankees), he set off for Maryland and Pa. In the belief that a taste of war on their turf would send the northern press into a frenzy and force the north to end the war.

His mistake was to bypass DC in the belief it was heavily manned and fortified. It wasn’t. A full out attack on Washington would have caused panic and mass evacuations even if he didn’t actually take the city. In all likelihood, the Union would have sued for peace rather quickly.

BacaDog on September 14, 2012 at 10:28 PM

This may be sacrilicious to say on a conservative blog.

Steven Spielberg may be a Democrat, but he is, also, a proud American. He’s right up there with libs like Tom Hanks, Ron Howard and (choke) Bill Clinton in his love of America’s greatness and unique place in human history, and of understanding why America is great and why he loves it.

“Saving Private Ryan”, anyone? “Amistad”? “The Color Purple”? “Schindler’s List”? Frank Capra, himself, couldn’t have top them if he’d tried.

Okay. Maybe if he’d tried.

I may be going out on a limb here, but I’m just guessing that Spielberg + Lincoln = Masterpiece.

Tuning Spork on September 14, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I have to agree with those who say give it a chance. As far as “schmaltz” goes, remember the time they lived in. It was dripping in schmaltz and romanticism. Men spoke in flowery phrases that would seem comical to us today. Read their letters. Look at the headstones in the old cemeteries. That’s who they were. The people of today are the bloodless ones, who fake passion and mask their lack of vocabularies with crudities and cursing, and who bury their dead beneath monuments devoid of any feeling or connection with the realities of life and death. The people of the mid 19th century may have had their failings, and they may have been overly dramatic by our standard, but they were more fully alive than most people today.

Don Michael Bitsconi on September 14, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Lincoln was a Tyrant and treated the Constitution worse than Obama.

dom89031 on September 14, 2012 at 9:26 PM