Matthews: Romney showed disdain for Obama by running against him so early

posted at 9:16 pm on September 14, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite and the Right Scoop, he hasn’t reached the point of insisting that the mere act of challenging Obama in an election is racist, but he’s right on the doorstep now. We’re maybe two weeks away from that argument. Less, I figure, if Rasmussen’s tracker is right about Romney inching back into the lead nationally. Granted, he doesn’t utter the R-word here, but it’s clear enough from his “I don’t like the look of it” sneer plus the fact that this is, after all, Chris Matthews, and therefore all critiques of Republican antagonism towards Obama must ultimately devolve into an accusation of racism. The punchline is that the famously ambitious Romney has actually been running for president since 2005 at the latest, and probably since before that. I can’t believe anyone on either side, save Matthews, thinks he wouldn’t have given it another go this time if Hillary had won the presidency four years ago instead.

Needless to say, Bill Clinton was essentially running for president since, oh, the mid-1970s or so. After his national debut at the ’88 convention, it was a fait accompli that he’d run for real in ’92 so long as there was some path to victory in the primaries available to him. (Which there was once Cuomo stayed out.) It wasn’t disrespectful or disdainful or whatever for him to challenge the incumbent. In fact, a friend of mine who knows plenty of Democratic strategists told me that they’d heard that The One himself had someone in Iowa sniffing around since practically the day after he won his Senate election in 2004 — even though Obama famously told reporters at the time that he wasn’t ready to run in 2008. Newsflash: Politicians with a national profile are always thinking about the presidency. To believe otherwise, you either have to be hopelessly naive about American politics or neck-deep in the tank for the candidate you favor. And I’ve never thought Matthews was naive about politics.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I do not “lurk” in the real world however.
I’ve pissed off many a local lib.
I hail from Mass.
It is easy hunting.
Gets kind of boring!

OTTO on September 14, 2012 at 10:17 PM

If you are in MA and are engaging libs, you are doing good work. We’re happy to provide you some like-minded commentary. You’ve got a tough row to hoe given the state you are in. Best of luck to you in getting through some liberal fuzzy thinking skulls.

AZfederalist on September 14, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Lanceman on September 14, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I’m glad to be of assistance. Have a couple for me, will ya? I’ve got to go to bed so I can get up at 5 and go to work.

Moose Drool on September 14, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Lanceman on September 14, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Yes, drinking.
My kingdom for another!
Oops, my my queen says “no more tonight”.

OTTO on September 14, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Moose Drool on September 14, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Will do. I gotta be at work at the crack of noon.

Lanceman on September 14, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Whose Chris Matthews?
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . That’s how I show my disdain.

listens2glenn on September 14, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Being an ethnic minority woman who’s dedicated her whole life to helping the poor just don’t cut it these days………according to progressives you have to renounce God, worship the new Messiah, and donate heavily.

antipc on September 14, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Yep, and if you do all the latter, you’ll get your nice pat on the back and, who knows, a prime-time speaking position at the Democrat National Convention and … try to keep your knees together … free birth control or bye-bye baby pills.

TXUS on September 14, 2012 at 10:25 PM

AZfederalist on September 14, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Born and raised.
Can’t seem to get out.
Been lot of places, but there’s no place like home.

OTTO on September 14, 2012 at 10:26 PM

TXUS on September 14, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Wishing her all the best I see.

OTTO on September 14, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Not to bury the lead here but I think it’s important to note that we’re a “Democracy” and our “media” is entirely controlled by the people currently running this “Democracy.”

Which, by definition, isn’t a “Democracy.”

But I don’t blame Chris Matthews (he’s a insignificant slug), I blame Americans who are either too stupid or too apathetic to realize what is obvious to all of us.

Bush won twice and we won in 2010 so I hold out hope my fellow citizens aren’t as naive as the polls may indicate.

AYNBLAND on September 14, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Romeny doesn’t make Chissy’s leg tingle? *heartache*

bitsy on September 14, 2012 at 10:33 PM

TXUS on September 14, 2012 at 10:15 PM

If I wrote the words of how I really feel, there’s not a doubt in my mind someone would be paying me a personal visit.

Since the man calling himself Obama got elected, I have been angry.

Angry with my country men/women for being foolish enough to believe his hopey-changey BS;

Angry with the Republicans and conservatives who sat home in 2008 because they thought they were teaching the Republican party some kind of pie-in-the-sky “lesson”;

And angry with the LSM for failing to vett the Imposter.

Today, as I see what I always feared would happen under the Con Man’s presidency, I am more than angry. I AM OUTRAGED BEYOND BELIEF. (Yes, I’m yelling.)

The Imposter has revealed his evil, demonic roots for the world to see, and I am totally PO’d.

Romney wasn’t my first choice, nor my second. But he is my only choice. He has got to win or we are doomed as a country and there will be no place left to run. Not just for us, but for all people everywhere who desire freedom.

(rant off)

GrannyDee on September 14, 2012 at 10:34 PM

The best part of that segment was homegirl talking about Hillary’s funeral speech showing how she the one for 2016. All this nonsense about politics during a tragedy and she’s promoting Hillary 2016. oblivious to the irony of it all.

nazarioj001 on September 14, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Those two live in a fantasy world.

How in the world could you take a look at what’s happened in the past week and still think that the present occupant even capable of understanding the American psyche. He’s not stupid, or ignorant. At this point the only conclusion that makes sense to me is that he’s a confidence man.

hoakie on September 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM

OTTO on September 14, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Well, glad to see you. Sometimes it’s cathartic to tell off a liberal!

Night Owl on September 14, 2012 at 10:40 PM

GrannyDee on September 14, 2012 at 10:34 PM

+100 Well said.

/Yeah, I’m outraged too.

AZfederalist on September 14, 2012 at 10:43 PM

OTTO on September 14, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Preach it, brother!

Of course, the bots won’t listen. They’re too ideologically pure (or smug) to listen to someone not anointed in the Ways of True Conservatism.

But preach it anyway.

Solaratov on September 14, 2012 at 10:43 PM

He is melting down, the world is finally seeing his incompetence on full display.

Rational Thought on September 14, 2012 at 10:01 PM

But…but…Beyonce! Jay-Z! Vegas, baby! Vegas!

Solaratov on September 14, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Anyone who doesn’t have “disdain” for Obama is a moron.

Rio Linda Refugee on September 14, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Since we’re talking about disdain from a presidential candidate, does anyone recall how in his 2008 campaign Obama defaced the presidential seal by personally adapting it to showcase himself? Arrogant. Egregious. That’s why I’ll say President Romney, President Romney, President Romney as often as I can.

And that Willie Brown is such a hoot! Seriously Mitt–you best not be playin’ mind games wit’ dat smart Obama guy–cuz ya’ know he can’t even put together a coherent sentence without reading it off of a teleprompter. Yeah, dat’s how too dang brilliant he is!

stukinIL4now on September 14, 2012 at 10:47 PM

(rant off)

GrannyDee on September 14, 2012 at 10:34 PM

When your ship’s heading for an iceberg, who do you want at the helm? Someone who’s guided a ship around an iceberg or two or someone who’s thinking about his tee time and his next appearance on Letterman? I rest my case.

TXUS on September 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM

TXUS on September 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Amen and well said, my friend.

GrannyDee on September 14, 2012 at 10:52 PM

nazarioj001 on September 14, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Heck yeah, you’re right on with that. They’re all auditioning right now. Hillary. Rahmbo’s been auditioning all week with the Chicago teacher’s strike. And stay tuned bcuz on the morning of Nov 7, Barack will be announcing the kickoff of his Obama 2016 campaign. Wonder how Tingleboy will be spinning disdain on that one–well, that is, if he’s peeled himself up off the floor from the Romney/Ryan landslide victory the night before.

stukinIL4now on September 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM

…and she’s promoting Hillary 2016. oblivious to the irony of it all.

nazarioj001 on September 14, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Hillary can forget 2016 – or any other year for her to become pResident.

When the State Dep. Rules of Engagement for Libya come out – with her signature on the paper – she’s toast. For-freakin’-ever.

Solaratov on September 14, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Why do you keep having ‘articles’ about the dumbest f-ing man on the planet? A child could demolish him and with the greatest of ease.

VorDaj on September 14, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Matthews is in head deep. May he suffocate from what he feeds on.

Schadenfreude on September 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Hey Chris Matthews – I show disdain too by relieving myself on his likeness twice a day. Do I get on your show now..?

affenhauer on September 14, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Someone send Matthews one of those Obama bumper stickers from right after his election to his first statewide office in IL: “Barack Obama for President: The Senate Will Do For Now.”

DrSteve on September 14, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Does anyone have either AP’s or Ed’s contact? There is a script running on an ABC Video that locks my PC out and won’t accept my login. I have to shut down the PC via Task Manager. Have tried 4 times.

I don’t play the video, but my log in triggers the script error. Then I can’t close it or the window, just have to end all tasks.

Must be something new with the ads etc.

Thanks!!

bluefox on September 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Matthews is in head deep. May he suffocate from what he feeds on.

Schadenfreude on September 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM

It is really hard to tell where Obama’s rectum ends and Matthews’ cranium begins. It would take a team of the kind of surgeons who separate Siamese twins to cut them apart.

VorDaj on September 14, 2012 at 11:12 PM

This is on the QOTD thread, forgot to mention that.

bluefox on September 14, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Why does anything Chrissy says warrant a thread?

The guy is so freaking delusional it’s comical at this point.

Oh, I get it, maybe it’s just some comic relief from all the real cr@p going on in the world…

ccrosby on September 14, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Chrissy is just adding another dumb sh*t statement to his resume… It’s one of his best talents.

RalphyBoy on September 14, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Don’t know who likes the leg hump more. Chrissy or Barry.

GarandFan on September 14, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Why does anything Chrissy says warrant a thread?

The guy is so freaking delusional it’s comical at this point.

ccrosby on September 14, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Good question.

slickwillie2001 on September 14, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Debbie Wasserman Schultz.
But without the hair.

TimBuk3 on September 15, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Hey Tingles….. remind me again what a success Barry and the expert lil Joey have been in foreign affairs…..

roflmmfao

donabernathy on September 15, 2012 at 12:12 AM

“MSLSD expects Romney to do what Mccain did during the financial crisis, to cancel his campaign while the king goes to a fundraiser with beyonce and jayz and letterman”

Romney seems to barely be running a campaign as it is. And still no sign of the massive swing state “shock and awe” ad buy. If he’s hoarding his money and saving it for the last few weeks, there had better be ads on every single commercial break. What happened to the huge money advantage and where is the money going?

gumbyandpokey on September 15, 2012 at 12:19 AM

neck-deep in the tank for the candidate you favor

Neck deep – are you kidding me?? Tingles is working a %!$#@ deep-sea submersible in Obama’s tank.

Xasprtr on September 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I sometimes wonder if Matthews is actually for real, or if he’s just doing a lifelong Colbert-like caricature stick, but spoofing a liberal instead of a conservative.

….Or, he’s a bloody alien from Alpha Dumbass. I just don’t f#$@$@ know anymore.

Hawkins1701 on September 15, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Ugh. Quotebox fail.

Hawkins1701 on September 15, 2012 at 1:47 AM

There’s still time.

The Rogue Tomato on September 15, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Can this idiot be locked yet? For his own good. The spitting was bad, but now we are reaching an obsession that only exists in his mind.

pat on September 15, 2012 at 2:34 AM

This is the best the left has to offer?

LizardLips on September 15, 2012 at 2:36 AM

OTTO on September 14, 2012 at 9:52 PM

…obviously I’m going through the threads later…thanks for coming out! …tooooooooo many of the stooooopid ones come out of the back pews to post on the podium…and not the good ones like you!

KOOLAID2 on September 15, 2012 at 2:39 AM

pat on September 15, 2012 at 2:34 AM

…can viewers sue for stupidity?

KOOLAID2 on September 15, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Y’all know that you can’t criticize him either.

While Americans were dying in Syria, former Governor Mitt should have kept his mouth shut.

Charlie Rangel finds Nominee Mitt Romney a threat to National Security.

I’ll bet his attack against the American nation is caused by RACISM and destroying the whole place is just a sneaky way to hurt black people.

IlikedAUH2O on September 15, 2012 at 2:44 AM

How many tingles can one take up the leg?

tbear44 on September 15, 2012 at 7:18 AM

gumbyandpokey on September 15, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Heh, concern troll here not only is concerned, but is ubiquitous too, he has the ability of being in all 50 states at once (or shall I say 57) and conducting a thorough analysis of the local ad effort by the GOP…that, or maybe all those many electoral consulting firms in all 57 states that work for him and supply him with pro analyses :)…

jimver on September 15, 2012 at 7:27 AM

That giggle on Chrissy when Willie hammered ‘Rominy’ was a look of a child who enjoyed watching bullies beat his enemies up for him

malkinmania on September 15, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Anybody watch the Muslim world as soon as he’s inaugurated? It’s hilarious. The Muslims will love Barry BAMSTAHHHHHH!!!!!! YOU DA MANNN BAMMMY BABYYY!!!! LOVE YA BARRY OL BUDDY OL PALLLL!!! YAHHHHH!!!!!!!
Coyote on September 34 PM

cableguy615 on September 15, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Obama started running against Bush before he even announced he was running and he never actually had an election against bush nor has he stopped running against him 4 years later. What does that say?!

jeffn21 on September 15, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Chris Matthews — perhaps the original “Kneepad Journalist” of the 0bama era.

ProfShadow on September 15, 2012 at 8:50 AM

this truly ruffles my knickers

Mitt must be a white Hispanic racist – he has more connection to minorities than does Chris Matthews who lives in an all White community, and runs in fear if his valet parking assistant is any of various shades of ebony.

Slade73 on September 15, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Is it election day yet? I cannot wait to vote.

–Republican Likely Voter.

Fleuries on September 15, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Hey Matthews is moving up in the world of political commentary, instead of just saying it’s racists, he implies that Romney doesn’t think Obama is qualified to be president.

There are many news people on the left I have a lot of respect for, not that I agree with them, but I respect their opinions, they’re good spokesmen for the liberal cause, Chris Matthews is not one of them.

Name any person, any person, with Obama’s thin resume, that Chris Matthews would think is qualified to be president of the United States. Let’s face it, Clint Eastwood has hit the nail on the head and not one of Obama’s supporters will actually go out there and dispute it with facts. They may call it racist, but they won’t go out and say his powerful resume made it imperative he be elected President of the United States in 2008.

bflat879 on September 15, 2012 at 9:08 AM

this truly gets my chaps my hives

rich Girly Men like Matthews shouldn’t be chastising Mitt about racism, unless him albino status officially allows it by the rules of PC (usually only relegated to Elizabeth Warren.

Slade73 on September 15, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I do not “lurk” in the real world however.
I’ve pissed off many a local lib.
I hail from Mass.
It is easy hunting.
Gets kind of boring!

OTTO on September 14, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Yup, the same here in Marxist Connecticut. It’s like fishing in a hatchery.

Don L on September 15, 2012 at 9:11 AM

jeffn21 on September 15, 2012 at 8:31 AM

See, you just proved that this is all Bush’s fault!

Don L on September 15, 2012 at 9:14 AM

i cant wait to watch msnbc on Nov 6. by 10pm they may spontaeously human combust. if we’re lucky.

t8stlikchkn on September 15, 2012 at 9:17 AM

t8stlikchkn on September 15, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I do believe by the end of the night I will be going back and forth between MSNBC and CNN. It will be fun :)

jeffn21 on September 15, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Matthews is a disgusting liberal slug. Just seeing his picture on “Hot Air” makes my blood boil.

rplat on September 15, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Matthews, the guy who made a complete fool of himself on Jeopardy.
You would think he would take something away from that, but he is so stupid he doesn’t know he’s stupid.

arand on September 15, 2012 at 10:50 AM

This man is a “walking A–H—”
and an Obama “A–Kisser”"

AND a disgrace

What more is there to say

Korean Veteran

carlr144 on September 15, 2012 at 11:45 AM

His obsession with linking the GOP with racism is worthy of clinical study. It would interesting to know how many blacks live on his block or bldg. as well as all the other socialist morons on MSNBC.

RdLake on September 15, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Dear Mr. Matthews,

You are a total moron.

ultracon on September 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM

You can’t demand respect until you give some. When has Matthews ever showed anything but disdain for Romney? He’s not credible. He’s a Democratic flak-just part of the background noise. I suspect there are more conservatives listening to him just to get fired up than Democrat rank and file.

flataffect on September 15, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Ha…this is classic. Running against O’Bozo is “disdain”. Well Tingles, I have had disdain for Our Idiot President since he was My Idiot Senator, and I find him to be an effeminate, intellectually handicapped, morally crippled fraud.

And yet he is still your superior in every way. Got it?

Jaibones on September 15, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Once again, Hillary says we can disagree in the most shrill voice.

Go away Chris, the liberal media is gone and you no longer matter.

dthorny on September 15, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I have noticed that Democrats rage in the same manner that Muslim’s do when their Profit Moe is dissed…. The similarities are quite striking.

ActinUpinTexas on September 15, 2012 at 2:12 PM

t8stlikchkn on September 15, 2012 at 9:17 AM

And what you’ll be watching is all the pundits on the Left screaming that voter fraud by Republican Operatives is rampant, that millions were disenfranchised by voter ID rules, and that people on the Left need to take to the streets and burn a few things down and stir things up so they can let the ENTIRE WORLD KNOW that the ENTIRE ELECTION HAS BEEN STOLEN and that they’re not going to accept the election results until a thorough investigation by Holder’s InJustice Dept has concluded.

THAT’S what you’ll be hearing on the Left’s Propaganda Media as the polling results start coming in showing a Republican landslide victory.

Mahdi on September 16, 2012 at 9:05 AM

They’ll ALSO be calling for Obama and the InJustice Department to nullify the election results and remain in Office until this whole election fiasco can be sorted through and Republican shenanigans identified and those responsible held thoroughly accountable, starting with Mitt Romney and his campaign advisors.

Mahdi on September 16, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I distinctly remember election night 2008 when Obama was announced the winner, Chrissy declared that he would make it his business to help Obama succeed as president. So who cares what Chrissy Tingles says. . . it means nothing.

SpiderMike on September 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM