Quotes of the day

posted at 10:47 pm on September 12, 2012 by Allahpundit

Mr. Romney’s criticism fed into his larger theme of painting Mr. Obama as apologizing for the United States, and his team stuck by it. “While there may be differences of opinion regarding issues of timing,” said one senior strategist, who asked not to be named, “I think everyone stands behind the critique of the administration, which we believe has conducted its foreign policy in a feckless manner.”

As it happened, the debate over his comments drew attention away from questions about how Mr. Obama has managed the popular uprisings in the Arab world, the aftermath of the war in Libya and the broader battle against Islamic extremists. The president has been criticized for not doing more to guide the transition to democracy in the Middle East and to stop religious extremists from coming to power.

***

That instant conventional wisdom is a pretty fortunate turn of events for Obama, given that it diverted focus from his administration’s bungled handling of the entire situation and the failure of his broader foreign policy posture…

When Romney gave a press conference Wednesday, the questions focused on whether it was appropriate for him to criticize Obama at the time he did. Romney’s responses didn’t really matter, because reporters had already decided their narrative. Obama did not take any questions in his own press conference moments later.

In 2004, John Kerry routinely attacked President Bush’s handling of Iraq when things weren’t going well in the country. And the media dutifully reported on Bush’s foreign policy blunders in Iraq. But now, instead of scrutinizing Obama’s handling of a foreign policy crisis, the media has decided that the real story in Egypt and Libya is a Mitt Romney gaffe.

***

“They were just trying to score a cheap news cycle hit based on the embassy statement and now it’s just completely blown up,” said a very senior Republican foreign policy hand, who called the statement an “utter disaster” and a “Lehman moment” — a parallel to the moment when John McCain, amid the 2008 financial crisis, failed to come across as a steady leader…

“I guess we see now that it is because they’re incompetent at talking effectively about foreign policy,” said the Republican. “This is just unbelievable — when they decide to play on it they completely bungle it.”

“It’s bad,” said a former aide to Senator John McCain’s 2008 presidential campaign. “Just on a factual level that the statement was not a response but preceding, or one could make the case precipitating. And just calling it a ‘disgrace’ doesn’t really cut it. Not ready for prime time.”

***

Whatever the timing of the Cairo Embassy’s statements, Mr. Romney is right that a U.S. Embassy ought to ignore YouTube videos produced by obscure cranks. As Tuesday’s events showed, pandering to Islamists who would use the video to inflame anti-American sentiment isn’t going to stop the protests. The video “Innocence of Muslims” is inflammatory and its producer is a fool, but in the U.S. we don’t censor fools.

The broader point is that the attacks on the embassies do raise questions about how America has fared in the world in the last four years. (See above.) Throughout his candidacy, Mr. Romney has supported the necessity of America’s global leadership, sometimes against the wishes of Republican voters. His comments this week are consistent with that worldview, which is also consistent with that of every recent conservative President.

His political faux pax was to offend a pundit class that wants to cede the foreign policy debate to Mr. Obama without thinking seriously about the trouble for America that is building in the world.

***

Mark Halperin tweeted this morning, “Unless Mitt has gamed crisis out in some manner completely invisible to Gang of 500, doubling down=most craven + ill-advised move of ‘12.” Halperin couldn’t be more wrong. Romney is right to bring home the weakness of the Obama administration, exemplified in the disgraceful statement issued yesterday, September 11, by the American embassy in Cairo—a statement, I believe, that would have to have been cleared by the State Department.

I’d add this: Romney deserves credit for emphasizing today that the events in Cairo and Benghazi remind us of the need for American leadership. He refused to cater to what must be a widespread (and understandable, if short-sighted) ‘let’s just get out of that crazy part of the world’ sentiment among the public. He spoke in the tradition of conservative internationalism.

So, so far, I believe, pretty much so good. The question is, what comes next?

***

“The substance of what Romney said at the time was absolutely right,” syndicated columnist Charles Krauthammer said about the situation in Libya and Egypt on “Special Report” tonight. “The problem is he needs to make a larger argument. There is a collapse of Obama’s policy. It began with the Cairo speech, it began with the apologies to Iran. It began with regret for the Iraq war, it began with the so-called outreach and it completely collapsed. It has gotten nowhere on Iran. These are the fruits of appeasement and apology.”

“He should make a general speech, not attack here and there but a speech explaining and connecting all the dots. That’s what a candidate ought to do and to leave attacks to surrogates and to Ryan,” Krauthammer said.

***

***

Click the image to watch.

***

Via Mediaite.

***

Click the image to listen.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8 9

KCB on September 13, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Sorry. Rerun from this afternoon. Gonna call it a night!

KCB on September 13, 2012 at 2:06 AM

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Huh? that wasnt directed at the sparks.
I lovez him..he knows it. :)

He would fry the pan fish easy. :)

bazil9 on September 13, 2012 at 2:07 AM

KCB on September 13, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Goodnight, Ken! Sleep well!:)

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Ken-hi- bye
Sorry, I am slow.
Have a good rest of the week.

bazil9 on September 13, 2012 at 2:08 AM

You Know I’m No Good

novaculus on September 13, 2012 at 2:08 AM

bazil9 on September 13, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Yeah.. I know… but look at his post at 1:58! Poor guy! He’s really sorry… and it was only one mambo. :)

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:10 AM

novaculus on September 13, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Now I’m surprised. That’s a complete shift. Interesting. :)

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Wait! Don’t leave me. It was strictly Platonic and she poached me ya know with those curves. I will never find another you.

Maybe I can go into rehab and come out a better person. It worked for 4Grace with her food throwing affliction.

*yelps and begs like a poodle*

SparkPlug on September 13, 2012 at 1:54 AM

I dont like poodles. :) lol
They dont shed much..one plus.
I like big dogs-

I have a bet..
here is my throw away email
BNINE9999@yahoo.com
Either way..I will win. ;)

PS-I took Grace outta rehab- she is training now..beware.

bazil9 on September 13, 2012 at 2:13 AM

I hadn’t thought of that, but, yes, the Post said the letter was sent September 4th.

INC on September 13, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Who has time for intelligence briefings when sluts are crying for free contraception and the missus is freaking out over spending her own money for vacays and lobsters after 2013 ?

burrata on September 13, 2012 at 2:14 AM

bazil9 on September 13, 2012 at 2:07 AM

In case you missed it, it was all very innocent and tame, not sexy at all. But Jackie put me in a trance so I don’t remember what happened after that.

SparkPlug on September 13, 2012 at 2:14 AM

bazil9 on September 13, 2012 at 2:08 AM

You got to the party late, but I was lucky enough to see you. For what it is worth, Sparkplug didn’t cheat. I saw the whole thing. There are worse things than a friendly Mambo.

Good night Jackie! As always, it has been a pleasure!

KCB on September 13, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Edge of Desire

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:16 AM

KCB on September 13, 2012 at 2:15 AM

LOL! Thanks for defending my honor, Ken! Goodnight! :)

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:18 AM

INC on September 13, 2012 at 2:04 AM

burrata on September 13, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Thank you. I needed that tea through my nose after this awful day, burrata. Sluts and Elephants.

RovesChins on September 13, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Where is a good tune? before I turn in? Way past my bedtime.
DJ J…what up..spin something..how about some D Mode.
If it aint a bother. ;)

bazil9 on September 13, 2012 at 2:18 AM

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:18 AM

;-)

KCB on September 13, 2012 at 2:19 AM

KCB on September 13, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Thx Charmer. Sweet dreams. If I don’t see ya- have good rest of the week. Night.

bazil9 on September 13, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Fascination -D Mode

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:21 AM

KCB on September 13, 2012 at 2:15 AM

I got your back bro, for evah.

Thanks for that.

SparkPlug on September 13, 2012 at 2:22 AM

bazil9 on September 13, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Like that? :)

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:22 AM

You’re No Good

novaculus on September 13, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Fleetwood Mac – Gold Dust Woman (’77)

SparkPlug on September 13, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Good morning folks :-)

I am hanging my head in shame for an earlier morning post I made and apologized for…

Didn’t want to stop in and then I saw Sparkplug say Hi… thanks!

Hope I didn’t upset anyone else, and if I did I again apologize…

Scrumpy on September 13, 2012 at 2:25 AM

bazil9 on September 13, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Had a gf long ago who called herself a “bad poodle” when she wanted to be treated in a particular way.

novaculus on September 13, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Scrumpy on September 13, 2012 at 2:25 AM

I must have missed whatever it is that you’re talking about, Scrumpy, but I’m inclined to say ‘everyone makes mistakes’ and let it go, especially after such an apology.

Good to see you. :)

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Have a great rest of the morning…

God Bless everyone… and good night…

Later.

Scrumpy on September 13, 2012 at 2:28 AM

novaculus on September 13, 2012 at 2:26 AM

LOL! I’m going to crack a rib! :)

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Scrumpy on September 13, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Hi Scrumpy. Its OK. No worries. No Shame at all. You are among friends. You are way too classy, but that’s a good thing.

No apology necessary.

SparkPlug on September 13, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Charlemagne on September 12, 2012 at 11:05 PM

I couldn’t have said it better myself. Thank you.

long_cat on September 13, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Thank you Jackie… Have fun!

Scrumpy on September 13, 2012 at 2:29 AM

burrata on September 13, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Eh, its not just the women ho’s- man ho’s need to step up. I dont care if you live a ho-tasic lifestyle- just take care of it. Not hard. Aint quantum physics. Not my problemo.

Personally, I have a lot more to worry about then who wants to screw who. Like oh, my business, my bills, gas in the car, groceries, taxes, healthcare, my safety, my freedom.. be a ho..just get out of my damn way. ;)

bazil9 on September 13, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Goodbye PorkPie Hat

novaculus on September 13, 2012 at 2:30 AM

bazil9 on September 13, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Goodnight, B9! Very good to see you. Sleep well.:)

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Oh yes, I came off sounding like the idiots on msnbc… did not express myself well at all…

Nite nite…

Scrumpy on September 13, 2012 at 2:31 AM

bazil9 on September 13, 2012 at 2:29 AM

OOPS! Thought I lost you there! Glad to see you’re still here!:)

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Obama is sort of stupid. Right?

pat on September 13, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Romney did fine. Hillary and TFG, however, failed miserably. This, of course, explains the screeching and whining–gotta protect Obama first–American principles and values be damned! Such pathetic priorities.

Christien on September 13, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Scrumpy on September 13, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Hope to see you back, soon, Scrumpy! You’re always welcome around here!:)

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Fascination -D Mode

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:21 AM

lol, meant Depeche Mode. That didnt chill me.

Here is one I like.

bazil9 on September 13, 2012 at 2:35 AM

General Mojo’s Well-Laid plan

novaculus on September 13, 2012 at 2:35 AM

bazil9 on September 13, 2012 at 2:35 AM

LOL! Made me laugh! You know, I wondered, but then I had heard of D Mode, so I figured, well, if that’s what the lady wants…. LOL!

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:37 AM

novaculus on September 13, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Now there’s another one that’s new to me! :)

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:38 AM

I posted earlier that my scroll keys and home page key were unresponsive here on hotair. Further googling found a solution that worked. For some reason a caret something or other was toggled. I had to hit the function key 7 and then select “no” and voila, scrolling is now working here. Why do these things happen???!!!

grrrrr

karenhasfreedom on September 13, 2012 at 2:38 AM

bazil9 on September 13, 2012 at 2:29 AM

OOPS! Thought I lost you there! Glad to see you’re still here!:)

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:31 AM

One eye open.

lol

Damn u and sparky. ;)

bazil9 on September 13, 2012 at 2:39 AM

karenhasfreedom on September 13, 2012 at 2:38 AM

My own personal theory is… gremlins! The old fashioned kind.. not those cute furry things!

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:40 AM

bazil9 on September 13, 2012 at 2:39 AM

LOL! I can’t help it… he’s so .. cute! :) Forgive me?

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:40 AM

When The Sun Goes Down- Peter Green

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:43 AM

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:37 AM

lol-B9 trivia..love Depeche Mode. You did deliver though. Points!
I got Sparky quiet..
I got a new Colombian Flan recipe..with pears, Must be trying it and passed out.
I think alcohol sales are high right now..buy stocks till 11/5.
Grow some weed..gonna need it.

bazil9 on September 13, 2012 at 2:44 AM

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Check the date. Coryell and Burton were way ahead of their time. Coryell used to play the Bluebird in Bloomington regularly back in the day. I got to see him play many times.

Meeting Of The Spirits

novaculus on September 13, 2012 at 2:45 AM

karenhasfreedom on September 13, 2012 at 2:38 AM

‘puters are tools of the devil, designed to make us all mad…

novaculus on September 13, 2012 at 2:47 AM

karenhasfreedom on September 13, 2012 at 2:38 AM

odd. Everything is fine on my end. Except my drained brain with one cell working. I am not techo savvy- well- we see you all clear.

bazil9 on September 13, 2012 at 2:47 AM

bazil9 on September 13, 2012 at 2:44 AM

I’m taking copious notes. Man, pears… that’s hard to beat! Actually, it sounds really good! Dang, B9! Now I’m hungry!

If alcohol sales are up its probably all these pool parties. Just between you and me, these people can really go through the liquor!

And.. there’s flan everywhere, too!

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:49 AM

novaculus on September 13, 2012 at 2:45 AM

I noticed that date! That WAS ahead of its time. Very impressive. You’re lucky you got to see him.

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:51 AM

As The Years Go Passing By

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:54 AM

I have to bid you all a fond goodnight. Its been a great pleasure, as always, to spend some time with you. Sleep well.

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:55 AM

thatsafactjack on September 13, 2012 at 2:49 AM
lol

I love Latin food..got into Colombian cooking lately. Ran across a pear flan-sounded yummy. have not tried it yet. But did laugh and thought of Grace and Spark.

I must crash..will pat tomorrow for staying up so late. I always get hooked.

No-alcohol is uo due to BO and friends..if we don’t win..invest in Busch and pharmaceuticals.

Night XOOOO.

bazil9 on September 13, 2012 at 2:56 AM

G’night Jackie.

A last waltz for you:

Waltz For Bill Evans

novaculus on September 13, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Ok, I’m out too. But I’ll leave this one for those who come by later:

novaculus on September 13, 2012 at 3:11 AM

The Mohammedans are laughing at you America you and your WIMP USURPER President. They attacked TWO of your embassies SIMULTANEOUSLY on the anniversary of 9/11 and your pathetic REGIME was apologizing to THEM even BEFORE the attacks took place.

Don’t believe me look at the time line the US Egyptian Embassy issued its USURPER inspired, pathetic, wimpish, weasel like sniveling apology for American Free Speech BEFORE the Embassy was attacked.

The USURPER has turned the USA in to a laughing stock all over the world.

The REGIME wants you to believe that an obscure little online movie trailer was the cause of this what a JOKE that is .Why were all the Egyptians and Libyans shouting ‘”There are Billions of OSAMAS- Obama”. Who CO-ORDINATED the attacks who told them to chant OSAMA BIN LADENS name. Its the USURPER’s and the DUMBOCRATS constant football SPIKING mantra of ‘I KILLED OSAMA’ that has them riled up.

RasThavas on September 13, 2012 at 4:37 AM

****************** OH SH*T *************************************

Years of warning about embassy security preceded Libya attack

State Department acknowledged as recently as February it lacked funding for some security improvements

UPDATED 11:50 AM EDT,
September 12, 2012
******************
******************

The way U.S. embassies and consulates protect their staffs in volatile locations has raised several red flags in Congress, among watchdogs and even an outside commission in recent years.

The concerns came into sharp focus with the death in Libya of U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens in an attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, as well as an attack Tuesday on the U.S. embassy in Cairo.

While the State Department has responded to some of the criticisms leveled by congressional oversight bodies and its own internal watchdog, its Diplomatic Security (DS) office recently acknowledged it lacked the funding for some recommended improvements, such as security training, and was instead looking for workarounds.

“We cannot sufficiently meet the additional training recommendations outlined in the Secretary’s QDDR (quadrennial review). Therefore, DS is aggressively pursuing on-line alternatives, e.g., distance learning of FACT lessons minus the hard skills (i.e., weapons familiarization and driver’s training) to increase training capabilities,” the department candidly acknowledged in a

February performance evaluation report.
***************************************

In response to Stevens’s death at the hands of an angry mob outside the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, President Barack Obama announced Wednesday that he has “directed my administration to increase our security at diplomatic posts around the world.” U.S. officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said some 50 Marines are being sent to Libya to reinforce security at U.S. diplomatic facilities.

“There is no higher priority than protecting our men and women wherever they serve,” said Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Her department identified embassy and personnel security as one of its major management challenges in its 2012 budget and priorities report.

One of the biggest concerns raised in recent years has been the quality and capabilities of private security contractors hired to protect embassy staffs.

The congressionally chartered Commission on Wartime Contracting issued a

strong warning in 2009,
***********************

saying the State Department’s reliance on lowest-priced contractors was jeopardizing security.

“Lowest-priced security not good enough for war-zone embassies,” the commission wrote in a stinging report that urged other factors such as capability be considered in awarding security contracts.

The State Department inspector general highlighted the gaps in some private security firms’ capabilities with investigations of the war-time security postures in Iraq and Afghanistan.

A March 2010 report
*******************

by the IG cited several potential weaknesses with the private firm guarding the Baghdad embassy, while acknowledging the firm had thus far protected the facility from any major attacks. Among the problems cited:

•The diplomatic security office lacked standards for ensuring the contractor performed adequate security training,

•The security contractor’s subcontractor for explosive detection had “several weaknesses” in its canine scent detection efforts for bombs.

•The security office at the embassy did not have criteria for the number of consecutive days guards can work without a day off. “The Office of Inspector General found that some guards had worked as many as 39 days without a break,” the report warned.

•The embassy’s guard housing was “unsafe and in violation of the contract.”

Those finding echoed a

September 2010 report
*********************

by the inspector general of the then-private security contractor in Afghanistan, which found:

•The contractor had “not been able to recruit, train, or manage” the security force “at the staffing level or the quality required by its contract.”

•The embassy had “ employed Nepalese guards without verifiable experience, training, or background investigations in violation of its contract.”

•The contractor would not “account for 101 U.S. government-furnished weapons that have been missing since 2007.”

•The contractor had permitted “a pattern of uncorrected disciplinary problems” in its security forces.

The State Department took several corrective actions and subsequently selected a new contractor to take over the Afghan’s embassy’s security.

But that selection quickly created new controversy when the Senate Armed Services Committee issued

a report
********

finding that the contractor had relied on warlords with possible ties to the Taliban to staff its security forces.

The inspector general

recently concluded
*******************

that the State Department’s vetting of the contractor met federal regulations but somehow failed to uncovered the information found by Senate investigators.

“The Department was not aware of the selected contractor’s past performance, as reported by the Senate Armed Services Committee, until after the report was publicly released in October 2010, which was after the contract and the task order had been awarded. OIG also determined that the Department had used the proper systems to obtain,” the IG reported.

The Project on Government Oversight, a nonpartisan watchdog group that focuses on contracting, has raised repeated concerns about the contracting of embassy security operations and last year urged that the task in volatile region be in-sourced to State Department employees. The group specifically cited the Afghan situation.

“If there’s a better argument for making this mission an inherently governmental function, this situation is it,” POGO’s executive director Danielle Brian said in 2011. “We’ve got one discredited company to be replaced by another discredited company.”
===================================================================

canopfor on September 13, 2012 at 4:57 AM

********************RED ALERT **********************

US Embassy employees in Sanaa, Yemen, are being moved to a safer location, sources say – @TheYemenTimes

31 mins ago by editor

Yemeni protesters storm the US Embassy in Sanaa, security forces open fire, witnesses say – @AFP, @Reuters, @AlArabiya_Eng

34 mins ago by editor

canopfor on September 13, 2012 at 5:14 AM

The American people will have to await the final analysis of all this when Jon Stewart covers it on the Daily Show.

Personally, I won’t really, really know who’s right until I get Colbert’s and Chris Matthews’ take on all this.

/s

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 13, 2012 at 5:15 AM

***ALERT *****

Security blockade around US Embassy in Yemen was breached, protesters did not get inside embassy walls – Yemen Post editor tells @NBCNews

15 mins ago by editor

canopfor on September 13, 2012 at 5:16 AM

US Embassy in Sanaa Yemen
*************************

canopfor on September 13, 2012 at 5:21 AM

I don’t know why we insist on putting embassies in these claptrap countries. Hell, they’re barely even countries…more like islands of chaos surrounded by Civilization.

But I suppose we have some kind of obligation to supply the ignorant with potential hostages and focal points for venting their anger due to their own shortcomings in their failed societies.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 13, 2012 at 5:23 AM

Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens:

Possible Demonstrations
September 12, 2012
******************

canopfor on September 13, 2012 at 5:25 AM

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 13, 2012 at 5:23 AM

Dr. ZhivBlago:Good Morning,I put up,this article,and Links,it
hasn`t appeared yet,this might open,er pop your
eyes out!!
=========================

Years of warning about embassy security preceded Libya attack

UPDATED 11:50 AM EDT, September 12, 2012
*****************************************

(UnClassified Reports)

canopfor on September 13, 2012 at 5:29 AM

Angry protests trickle into Yemen as protesters storm U.S. embassy
Thursday, 13 September 2012
***************************
*Image*

Yemeni protesters, angry over a film mocking Islam, on Thursday stormed the complex of the U.S. embassy in Sana’a, defying efforts by riot police to hold them at bay, according to news agencies and Al Arabiya correspondents at the scene.

Several injuries were reported.

Protesters torched a number of diplomatic vehicle as security forces used water cannons and warning shots in a bid to drive them out.

Police had earlier fired warning shots to disperse few thousands of protesters as they approached the main gate of the mission.

“O, Allah’s messenger… O, Mohammed,” protesters chanted.

Security officials said the demonstrators smashed windows of the security offices outside the embassy before breaking through the main gate of the heavily fortified compound in eastern Sana’a. Security guards opened fire and there were reports of casualties on both sides but no details were immediately available.

The attack comes two days after four Americans including the ambassador were killed when a Libyan mob attacked the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, and protesters in Cairo tore down the Stars and Stripes and replaced it with a black Islamic flag.

The low-budget movie, “Innocence of Muslims” in which actors have strong American accents, portrays Muslims as immoral and gratuitously violent.

The film is believed to mock the Prophet Mohammed by touching on themes of pedophilia and homosexuality.
=======================================

canopfor on September 13, 2012 at 5:32 AM

Shooting @ Yemen Embassy.

Obama’s Schedule for Thursday 9/14/12

by Keith Koffler on September 12, 2012, 10:06 pm

11:10 am MT || Delivers remarks at a campaign event; Lions Park, Golden, Colorado
1:50 pm MT || Departs Golden
7:05 pm || Arrives White House

Key West Reader on September 13, 2012 at 5:41 AM

Guns were fired into the air to disperse crowd at the US Embassy in Sanaa, Yemen – @TheYemenTimes

3 mins ago by editor

canopfor on September 13, 2012 at 5:42 AM

The Yemen Times ‏@theyementimes

Heavy gunfire now heard through phone with reporter outside #US #embassy in #Sanaa #Yemen.

The Yemen Times ‏@theyementimes

Youth continue burning tires taken from shop outside #US #embassy #Sanaa #Yemen. “Not organized,” “chaotic,” nobody leaving.

canopfor on September 13, 2012 at 5:45 AM

Key West Reader on September 13, 2012 at 5:41 AM

Key West Reader:Gooooooood Morning SunShine,it is great to see ta:)

And yes,SH*T is hitting the fan again!:)

canopfor on September 13, 2012 at 5:46 AM

Leader of Iraqi militia Asaib Al-Haq says American interests in the country are ‘in danger’ over anti-Islam film – @Reuters

1 min ago by editor

canopfor on September 13, 2012 at 5:47 AM

Romney was right, and the hype spin can’t change the disastrous consequences of Obama. It would be wise right now to DOUBLE DOWN!

rob verdi on September 13, 2012 at 5:48 AM

You know, every other pundits talks about how awesome Hillary Clinton is in fawning pieces about her deft handling of state, does this still hold?

rob verdi on September 13, 2012 at 5:50 AM

Protesters storm US Embassy in Yemen
— Sep. 13 5:38 AM EDT
*********************

SANAA, Yemen (AP) — Chanting “death to America,” hundreds of protesters angered by an anti-Islam film stormed the U.S. Embassy compound in Yemen’s capital and burned the American flag on Thursday, the latest in a series of attacks on American diplomatic missions in the Middle East.

The protesters breached the usually tight security around the embassy and reached the compound grounds but did not enter the main building housing the offices. Once inside the compound, they brought down the U.S. flag, burned it and replaced it with a black banner bearing Islam’s declaration of faith — “There is no God but Allah.”

Before storming the grounds, demonstrators removed the embassy’s sign on the outer wall, set tires ablaze and pelted the compound with rocks.

It was similar to an attack on the U.S. Embassy in the Egyptian capital of Cairo on Tuesday night. A mob of Libyans also attacked the U.S. consulate in the eastern city of Benghazi on Tuesday, killing American Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.

In Egypt, protesters were clashing with police near the U.S. Embassy in the capital Cairo for the third day in a row.

The violence has raised worries that further protests could break out around the Muslim world as anger spreads over the movie.

Yemeni security forces who rushed to the scene fired in the air and used tear gas to disperse the demonstrators and were eventually able to drive them out of the compound. It was not immediately clear whether anyone was inside the embassy at the time of the attack.

The Yemeni Embassy in Washington condemned the attack and vowed to ensure the safety of foreign diplomats and to step up security measures around their missions in the country.

Yemen is home to al-Qaida’s most active branch and the United States is the main foreign supporter of the Yemeni government’s counterterrorism campaign. The government on Tuesday announced that al-Qaida’s No. 2 leader in Yemen was killed in an apparent U.S. airstrike, a major blow to the terror network.

The movie, “Innocence of Muslims,” came to attention in Egypt after its trailer was dubbed into Arabic and posted on YouTube. The video-sharing website blocked access to it Wednesday. The trailer depicts Muhammad as a fraud, a womanizer and a madman in an overtly ridiculing way, showing him having sex and calling for massacres.
===========

canopfor on September 13, 2012 at 5:52 AM

Bin Laden is dead
GM is on Life Support
Jihadists are thriving
Obama is Awesome!

rob verdi on September 13, 2012 at 6:00 AM

On a policy note, this ends any talk of Syria involvement.

rob verdi on September 13, 2012 at 6:00 AM

canopfor on September 13, 2012 at 5:52 AM

Thanks for the updates, canop’.

Getting ready to hit the road . . . . .

listens2glenn on September 13, 2012 at 6:04 AM

LIVE FEED MSNBC Morning Joe
***************************

canopfor on September 13, 2012 at 6:06 AM

canopfor on September 13, 2012 at 5:52 AM

Thanks for the updates, canop’.

Getting ready to hit the road . . . . .

listens2glenn on September 13, 2012 at 6:04 AM

listens2glenn:Have a great day,and give`r h*ll:)

canopfor on September 13, 2012 at 6:09 AM

Yemen’s embassy in Washington says no casualties reported in relation to the storming of US Embassy compound in Sanaa – @Reuters

2 mins ago by editor

canopfor on September 13, 2012 at 6:10 AM

Bin Laden is dead
GM is on Life Support
Jihadists are thriving
Obama is Awesome!

rob verdi on September 13, 2012 at 6:00 AM

rob verdi:And,ahem…..Embassys are under Siege!:)

canopfor on September 13, 2012 at 6:12 AM

The Yemen Times ‏@theyementimes

Situation stabilizing, reporters have now left U.S. #embassy in #Sanaa #Yemen. Photos to come.

The Yemen Times ‏@theyementimes

Emergency message re: possible demonstrations from #US #embassy in #Sanaa #Yemen, from Sept. 12 http://yemen.usembassy.gov/wmsep1212.html

canopfor on September 13, 2012 at 6:16 AM

morning joe crew fixated on romney this morning. no ones looking at a huuuuge breakdown in security.

lookee there a squirrel!

renalin on September 13, 2012 at 6:22 AM

the more the msm bash mitt, the more likable he becomes to me.

darn them.

renalin on September 13, 2012 at 6:24 AM

Yemeni protesters storm U.S. embassy in Sanaa: witnesses

UBAI | Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:12am EDT

(Reuters) – Hundreds of Yemeni demonstrators stormed the U.S. embassy in Sanaa on Thursday in protest at a film they consider blasphemous to Islam, and security guards tried to hold them off by firing into the air.
(More…)
============

canopfor on September 13, 2012 at 6:28 AM

Do you ever look at Willie Geist when Schmoe Scarborough turns up the volume to 11 like a pompous ass? His body language screams he wants to crawl under the desk.

Schmoe is the biggest ferret weasel on TV. Worse than Chris Matthews. I don’t know who he thinks his fans are. Liberals hate him, too.

Thank God Fox and Friends is being serious for a change and is watchable.

Marcus on September 13, 2012 at 6:30 AM

Wwhen the going gets tough, the tough get going./ My take.

kingsjester on September 13, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Wow, this embassy thing is spreading like a virus. Obama is not going to recover from this carter 2.0 debacle. The main stream press can’t cover this one up like they tried to do earlier this week.

How many of you are just getting angrier and angrier the more this is spreading and the more you think about how they murdered those Americans this week? I am just spitting mad right now. If Obama was in my living room right now, I would go all “irish” on him and would hope the secret service didn’t shoot me after I slapped his face, really hard. I am so sick of that smug sumbitch just phoning it in!!

For pete’s sake, he went fundraising last night instead of putting his boney ass in the situation room and monitored things overnight.

Epic failure as a president and epic failure as a loyal American.

Fox and Friends is interviewing Col West right now.

I am going to begin to refer to Oloser as Carter 2.0

karenhasfreedom on September 13, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Man, my posts must be going to moderation right now. I haven’t been saying anything inflammatory. Geesh.

karenhasfreedom on September 13, 2012 at 6:33 AM

Got to find a way to whip these MSM Journo-Lists. I mean literally. Whip their lying biased asses within an inch of the lives. They’ve more than earned it with their venal machinations and frauds.

rayra on September 13, 2012 at 6:35 AM

Palestinian Spring

Key West Reader on September 13, 2012 at 6:36 AM

Key West reader:T-riffic:)

canopfor on September 13, 2012 at 6:38 AM

Marcus on September 13, 2012 at 6:32 AM

refreshing to hear Bing West. He wants the press to ask about if the Marines will be given shoot to kill orders. he knows the bamster will duck.

renalin on September 13, 2012 at 6:39 AM

Palestinian Spring

Key West Reader on September 13, 2012 at 6:36 AM

It’s good to see you, ma’am.

kingsjester on September 13, 2012 at 6:39 AM

lookee there a squirrel!

renalin on September 13, 2012 at 6:22 AM

renalin:Nauseating to say the least,and yup,on the security!!!

canopfor on September 13, 2012 at 6:42 AM

canopfor on September 13, 2012 at 6:42 AM

its surreal. you to fox, they’re showing live shots of an egyptian mob, on morning joe a mitt bashfest. WTF!!!!!

renalin on September 13, 2012 at 6:46 AM

lookee there a squirrel!

renalin on September 13, 2012 at 6:22 AM

Are you serious? You’re telling me it was a-OK for Romney to not even wait to see if anyone had been killed before launching in an attack on the embassy. Considering that multiple embassy employees died, including the ambassador why would he go on national TV and smear their memories like that? Call them apologizers and cowards essentially. Its just one of the dumbest things thats ever happened. Second only to the notion that the breach in security that led to their deaths is somehow Obama’s fault? Are you kidding me? The President has to micromanage every embassy security team? Come *ON* man/woman, if this is what the right has they really must know how bad this made Mitt Romney look.

libfreeordie on September 13, 2012 at 6:46 AM

WhiteHousePressCorps ‏@whpresscorps

RT @mpoppel: AFP: Some 500 people protest anti-Islam film in Tehran, chant “Death to America!”

canopfor on September 13, 2012 at 6:50 AM