Eleven years later, the memories return

posted at 8:41 am on September 11, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Eleven years ago, on a Tuesday morning just like this, thousands of people got up, prepared for a day that was not expected to be anything out of the ordinary, and left for their jobs or travel.  They said goodbye to their families without any sense of the finality of that act.  They went to work in New York City and Washington DC, or boarded planes for the West Coast, and never came home.

What unfolded was a day of horror and disbelief, leavened with tales of heartbreaking courage.  Hundreds of firefighters and police in New York City charged the gates of Hell to rescue people trapped in the World Trade Center and ended up sharing their fate.  One planeful of passengers, forearmed with the knowledge of their captors’ plans, fought the first battle in the war against al-Qaeda and defeated them at Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

Eleven years later, and again on a Tuesday, I expect the original Patriot Day to feel more distant.  Instead, the scenes remain as fresh in my mind as ever.  This composite of news coverage of the attack on the south tower of the World Trade Center recalls all of the emotions of the early morning:

A year ago this month, I had a rare opportunity to visit New York City and the WTC plaza.  The main site of the worst attack on US soil in centuries has been transformed into a memorial, one that provides a sense of peace that replaced the horror that preceded it.  I created a short video to capture the sense of the memorial, and the linked post has a few still pictures as well:

Eleven years later, all of these flood into my mind, and I pray for the victims of 9/11, the heroes of 9/11 who gave their lives and those who are still with us, our nation, and our world. I never pray to forget.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

The passage of time does nothing to lessen the impact of the images and the memories. My dad was in the E-ring of the Pentagon (he’s fine) that day, and I’ll never forget the hours we spent waiting to hear from him.

I dropped out of college (in my Senior year), enlisted as a rescue swimmer, and went right over.

I will never forget.

Washington Nearsider on September 11, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Never forget.

kingsjester on September 11, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Either we destroy the nexus of Islam+Leftism or it destroys us.

May G-d bless the memories of all who perished, send comfort to their loved ones and protect our soldiers in uniform.

And G-D BLESS AMERICA, ALWAYS.

Rixon on September 11, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Today is eerily so like that day: bright, sunny, intensely blue skies. I’ll never forget.

RedRedRice on September 11, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Never forget what the religion of peace did to us and continues to do around the world today.

SouthernGent on September 11, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Washington Nearsider on September 11, 2012 at 8:43 AM

…Thank You for Your service!
I’m afraid as time goes on more and more people forget!…I won’t since I’ve had too many friends and even some family involved. I can’t forget people flinging themselves off the top of the buildings when having no other alternative…and I get angry about some of the things I see today.

KOOLAID2 on September 11, 2012 at 8:50 AM

“On this most solemn day of remembrance, I’d like to share a story about myself and how I felt to be me that day.”

-TFGRP

Bishop on September 11, 2012 at 8:52 AM

GOD BLESS AMERICA

ToddPA on September 11, 2012 at 8:53 AM

All my prayers and thoughts go out to all those whose families were shattered that day.

Inconceivable memories of that day.

jake-the-goose on September 11, 2012 at 8:53 AM

the memories return

Not a day goes by that I don’t think about the atrocities of that day. Of course, seeing the Penatagon every morning probably has something to do with that.

Happy Nomad on September 11, 2012 at 8:53 AM

RedRedRice on September 11, 2012 at 8:49 AM

It’s a little bit cooler, but yes, uncanny how much it is like The Day Itself.

thebrokenrattle on September 11, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I’ll never forget. This is mohammedianism.

tom daschle concerned on September 11, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Never forget.

I don’t know why this year is different but, as RRR said, the weather is very similar today and I think that’s a big part of it. Was traveling to the west coast on business the day before, got stranded of course, and was on one of the first planes back home.

Never forget.

Rufus on September 11, 2012 at 8:54 AM

May their souls and all the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Never forget. Amen.

Naturally Curly on September 11, 2012 at 8:55 AM

KOOLAID2 on September 11, 2012 at 8:50 AM

The jumpers are the thing that have stuck with me the most (from the towers, at least).

I can’t imagine being in a position to choose between falling 100+ stories, burning to death or dying in the collapse…

Evil. Pure, unadulterated evil.

Those who would equivocate or normalize the people who did this… I can’t post what I think of them in this forum. Maybe I could get away with it over at Ace’s. Maybe.

Washington Nearsider on September 11, 2012 at 8:56 AM

To this day, I tear up every time I watch a video clip of the terror attacks.

JetBoy on September 11, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Not a day goes by that I don’t think about the atrocities of that day.

Happy Nomad on September 11, 2012 at 8:53 AM

The same for me. Not a single day.

aunursa on September 11, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I picked up Arabic in college for one reason only. This day.

I got caught up in life and didn’t keep up for three years.

I’m now registered in classes at NYU in Manhattan for Arabic. I’ll be moving to NYC, and I’m glad that the Freedom Tower will be there every day to remind me why I’m back in class.

blatantblue on September 11, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Have you forgotten how it felt that day?
To see your homeland under fire
And her people blown away
Have you forgotten when those towers fell?
We had neighbors still inside going thru a living hell
And you say we shouldn’t worry ’bout bin Laden
Have you forgotten?

They took all the footage off my T.V.
Said it’s too disturbing for you and me
It’ll just breed anger that’s what the experts say
If it was up to me I’d show it everyday

Have You Forgotten

Flora Duh on September 11, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Eleven years later, the same video retrospectives return, with slow motion and slasher-movie soundtracks all timed to fit between the commercials.

It was a real event, and thousands of people died that day. 9/11 shouldn’t treated as B-roll material for Good Morning America and the Today Show. I don’t need Matt Lauer telling me in hushed tones how I’m supposed to feel. I remember.

DarthBrooks on September 11, 2012 at 8:58 AM

There is an anger swelling up within me, at the Remembrance of that horrible day, 11 years ago. There are those in power now, who are embracing those who are even now, secretly plotting and/or funding such acts.

This is an important time in our nation’s history. We must remain forever vigilant.

May God hold the survivors and their families in the Hollow of His hand. Amen.

kingsjester on September 11, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Perfect transition video of America going from blissfully unaware, to hey that was a terrible “incident” to something is going on, to what are we witnessing right now?

And the libs called the 1993 attack an “incident” not an attack or terrorism…….and they still won’t see it for the evil it is.

PappyD61 on September 11, 2012 at 8:59 AM

“Time is passing. Yet, for the United States of America, there will be no forgetting September the 11th. We will remember every rescuer who died in honor. We will remember every family that lives in grief. We will remember the fire and ash, the last phone calls, the funerals of the children.” -President George W. Bush, November 11, 2001

awc on September 11, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I get so pissed off every time I see a movie and they pan across Manhattan and there are the two towers standing tall and proud.

tom daschle concerned on September 11, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Sorry, I refuse to participate in the false patriotism that people are feeling on this day. The self immolation is sickening. 9/11 was a horrible day, but the truth is, unless you lost a loved one (and by loved one I mean FAMILY MEMBER) in the attacks, you are mourning just to mourn, because you think it’s hip. It’s time to move on. I’m not saying to forget, but stop acting as though you had a personal stake in it. Grow up and learn how to deal with emotions.

Bush’s bullhorn speech.

tom daschle concerned on September 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM

10 hours of nyan cat.

tom daschle concerned on September 11, 2012 at 9:03 AM

…LET’S… R O L L…!!!

KOOLAID2 on September 11, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I Miss You Daddy

Flora Duh on September 11, 2012 at 9:04 AM

It has never diminished for me. Being an eyewitness to mass murder changes you from the inside out. Never forget what those people went through on those planes and in those buildings.

Urban Infidel on September 11, 2012 at 9:04 AM

PappyD61 on September 11, 2012 at 8:59 AM

They call 9/11 a ‘tragedy’ and not an ‘attack’.

libertarianlunatic on September 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM

So I can try to kill your father, but unless I succeed, you won’t be upset? Roger that.

Washington Nearsider on September 11, 2012 at 9:04 AM

libertarianlunatic on September 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Some people care about their country very much. I understand that this is foreign to you.

blatantblue on September 11, 2012 at 9:04 AM

The emotions I have for that day are still raw. The passage of time hasn’t done anything to dull that. I can only imagine how it would feel to have lived and/or worked in NYC or DC that day.

crazy_legs on September 11, 2012 at 9:04 AM

libertarianlunatic on September 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Yes dear, have a cookie.

cozmo on September 11, 2012 at 9:04 AM

libertarianlunatic on September 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Also, I think you’re missing a rather big piece of this. The UNITED STATES was attacked – not just 3,000 individuals. Our NATION as a whole was brought to battle.

I hope you don’t observe Memorial day or celebrate the 4th of July. After all, you don’t have a personal stake in either.

Washington Nearsider on September 11, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Go f4ck yourself!

AubieJon on September 11, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Kinda eerie watching at the very time these atrocities happened 11 years ago.

Happy Nomad on September 11, 2012 at 9:05 AM

…yep

KOOLAID2 on September 11, 2012 at 9:06 AM

The one and only time I had in my life to go to NYC, my friend asked me if I wanted to go to Times Square, or Ground Zero. I said, ” Let’s take the train to midtown and walk till we can’t” I saw the best parts of NYC that day.

tom daschle concerned on September 11, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Amen, Ed.

2 years ago, I was in DC and took the opportunity to visit the Pentagon memorial. It was very moving.

NEVER FORGET!

Steve Eggleston on September 11, 2012 at 9:06 AM

A$$h@le

ProfessorMiao on September 11, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Please people, ignore it. Don’t let it turn this thread into a battle royale.

Flora Duh on September 11, 2012 at 9:06 AM

In order to honor the victims of terrorists, didn’t Obama make today a national day of service?

mechkiller_k on September 11, 2012 at 9:08 AM

tom daschle concerned on September 11, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Lots of good places to see. Hope you got to see Ground Zero.

blatantblue on September 11, 2012 at 9:08 AM

How dare you call my patriotism into question. Read what I wrote, not what you want to see. It is time to grow up and deal with emotions. The longer you hold on to something the longer you’ll behave like an infant and mourn. Be aware, use it as a way to stay aware that there are bad people, but stop this childish thrashing about as though you’ve personally lost a loved one.

libertarianlunatic on September 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM

libertarianlunatic

So according to you I should just forget my friend who was killed at the WTC. He was just 26 years old and was only there for a breakfast meeting that morning.

What in the world would possess you to come here and post a sick comment? Seriously, you need to take a long look in the mirror. If your mirror can stand it, that is.

Urban Infidel on September 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM

libertarianlunatic on September 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM

…hmmmmmm!…I consider most of the people here…as FAMILY MEMBER’s… you little infidel!

KOOLAID2 on September 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM

libertarianlunatic on September 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM

You’ve read too many Louis L’Amour novels. Grow up.

AubieJon on September 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Lots of good places to see. Hope you got to see Ground Zero.

blatantblue on September 11, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Heh, if you remember, I asked to see if you wanted to grab a drink…when I commented here under a different name.

tom daschle concerned on September 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Grow up and learn how to deal with emotions.

libertarianlunatic on September 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Physician heal thyself. You clearly are emotiohnally stunted and don’t do well with emotions to post such crap.

You are also completely wrong. How about all those military members killed in Afghanistan responding to rampant radical Islam? Do they have a right to mourn the cause we began operations in that Godforsaken hell hole? What about our subsequent loss of freedoms and the many ways our everyday lives have been effected by the atrocities of 9/11/01? Don’t we have a right to mourn that?

In short, if you want to be a douchebag, do it somewhere else.

Happy Nomad on September 11, 2012 at 9:11 AM

libertarianlunatic on September 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM

It is not so much a mourning but remembering. Let people deal with the remembering of this day in their own way. Don’t be such an a$$hole.

Static21 on September 11, 2012 at 9:11 AM

libertarianlunatic on September 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Thanks for sharing my and Michelle’s thoughts on this beautiful day.

– Barack

TXUS on September 11, 2012 at 9:12 AM

libertarianlunatic on September 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Once a year, people pause to reflect, remember, and to recall.

That makes them babies? That means they need to “grow up?” People have been going on with their lives. They have started families, retired, started careers, moved, and many have watched their sons and daughters embark on tours to foreign fields.

No one is thrashing around. I don’t see anyone here going “look at me, feel bad for MEEEEE”

Grab some perspective, good man!

blatantblue on September 11, 2012 at 9:12 AM

libertarianlunatic on September 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Bless your heart, you intentionally push buttons and then play victim.

cozmo on September 11, 2012 at 9:13 AM

tom daschle concerned on September 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I remember being asked I forget the name tho!!!

:X

blatantblue on September 11, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I remember being asked I forget the name tho!!!

:X

blatantblue on September 11, 2012 at 9:13 AM

You missed out :) Went to a Market Square brewery and then on to Basta Pasta. daesleeper

tom daschle concerned on September 11, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Wow

Night Owl on September 11, 2012 at 9:15 AM

So according to you I should just forget my friend who was killed at the WTC.

Not forget, but don’t mourn eternally. Eight years ago, I lost my wife to cancer. I’ve grown,accepted it and continue living. You lost “a friend”, and will be in continual mourning. Childish. Stopping the mourning doesn’t mean you’ve forgotten, just that you’ve accepted it. The false patriotism and inability to deal with emotion on display is sickening here.

libertarianlunatic on September 11, 2012 at 9:15 AM

libertarianlunatic on September 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM

How dare I? Thanks to the courage of the First Responders and our Best and Brightest fighting our enemies at home and abroad, I am free to tell you was a pompous schmuck you actually are.

There was no reason, except your own ego gratification,
to post what you did here today.

False patriotism, my hindquarters.

kingsjester on September 11, 2012 at 9:15 AM

libertarianlunatic on September 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM

…you’re probably holding onto your tool as we speak!

KOOLAID2 on September 11, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Ban this person please. if i can be banned years ago for equating mooch to a zoo animal, so can this person. thank you!

GhoulAid on September 11, 2012 at 9:16 AM

libertarianlunatic on September 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I’m breaking my own rule here about feeding the trolls…But that has to be one of the most asinine comments I’ve ever seen here at HA. And believe me, that says a lot.

I can’t think of anything else to say to you that isn’t any better than this:

Go f4ck yourself!

AubieJon on September 11, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Matter of fact, do it repeatedly.

JetBoy on September 11, 2012 at 9:16 AM

I am grateful to the Fox News channel for showing their excellent as-it-happened documentary when each anniversary rolls around. I watch it at least once each year.

I think it should be shown on every channel (okay, not the Cartoon Channel or the Food Channel, etc.) and in every school.

And we should not be reticent about the fact that the murderers were Muslim — they themselves wanted us to know it back then, and we should be honest about it on every anniversary.

They murdered all of those people because of their religious as well as their political beliefs, and we never should forget it.

KyMouse on September 11, 2012 at 9:17 AM

How dare you call my patriotism into question.

libertarianlunatic on September 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM

You’d have to have some for it to be questioned.

On this day, of all days, you choose to lecture others on how they should show their emotions?!? I hope you don’t have children.

AubieJon on September 11, 2012 at 9:17 AM

MSNBC is playing the whole tape—as it happened:

Katie Couric: “We’re getting reports that a small commuter plane might have hit the building”

Some one talking by phone directly to Couric: “Another plane has just struck the other tower—I think air-traffic control is having a problem”

Finally, after several more minutes, (and the video of the second plane flying into tower 2), Couric says, “at this point, we need to wonder if this might be some form of a “terrorist activity”.

Matt Lauer is still trying to confirm that the first building was hit by a small commuter plane.

Totally clueless 11 years ago……totally clueless today.

Rovin on September 11, 2012 at 9:17 AM

A couple of talk show callers have made interesting points this morning.

The most poignant was a university professor who explained that most of the recent grads, and younger ones still in class, nhave been CUSHIONED from the horrors of 9/11. Many parents (along with broadcast networks) protected them from the visuals, AND the schools then proceeded to explain what they were learning about this (“imaginary” to them) incident was that America DESERVED this attack on our land.
THESE are a lot of the possible voters out there !!
Scary.

pambi on September 11, 2012 at 9:17 AM

libertarianlunatic on September 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Rio Linda Refugee on September 11, 2012 at 9:18 AM

you’re probably holding onto your tool as we speak!

No, that’s your mom holding my tool.

See? I can be a child just like you. Want to talk about how my dad can beat up your dad next? Or would you care to be adults about this and discuss it rationally?

libertarianlunatic on September 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Never forget the cost of our interventionist foreign policy.

Dante on September 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I still jump every time I see the footage of the planes hitting the buildings, I still cry every time I see those people jumping (falling?) out of the WTC. I’m still in shock when the buildings collapse. 11 years later and it’s still insanely raw.

And no I didn’t lose anyone in the attacks. I also didn’t lose anyone in the Holocaust and I cry when I see the footage/pictures from that. I didn’t lose anyone in the Troubles in Ireland and I cry when I see some of the footage from that. Why? Because I’m a human being who can empathize.

9/11/01 was the day I found out (incredibly harshly, I might add) that while I live the “live and let live” type philosophy, the same cannot be said for some other people in the world. I discovered that there are people in the world who will plot to murder others based solely on their religious convictions. This was hatred writ large.

I pray for those whose burden is large due to their surviving 9/11. I pray for those who lost family, friends, and other loved ones during those attacks. God Bless.

mjk on September 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM

libertarianlunatic on September 11, 2012 at 9:15 AM

The only sickening display here is you.

Urban Infidel on September 11, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Never forget the cost of our interventionist foreign policy.

Dante on September 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Yeah. Because we deserved it.

I tolerate a lot of your ‘libertarian Ron Paul isolationist’ nonsense as just that, but this statement from you is nearly identical to Rev. Wright’s ‘chickens coming home to roost’ comment.

Radical Islam doesn’t demand tolerance. They demand submission, and they demand it at sword point.

Bend the knee or chamber the round. Your call.

Washington Nearsider on September 11, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Or would you care to be adults about this and discuss it rationally?

libertarianlunatic on September 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM

That’s funny, actually. Someone with “lunatic” tacked into its name pretending to hold the high ground on adult conversation.

AubieJon on September 11, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Yep, ya’ll did it. You let a still pissed off Paulbot hijack a thread that’s supposed to be a memorial to 3,000 of our fellow Americans murdered in cold blood by a bunch of savages, into a “hey, look at me” thread.

Flora Duh on September 11, 2012 at 9:25 AM

And I suggest that we demonstrate the steely resolve of our society and culture to fight and defeat the mass murder and continued terrorism of militant Jihadists and terrorists with …..more teddy bears and flowers!!!!

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on September 11, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Never forget the cost of our near-worthless internal security.

Dante on September 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM

FTFY.

That was how they pulled this horror off. Who needs an army of jihadi cannon fodder when you can take a couple dozen guys with boxcutters and commandeer jumbo jets as improvised guided missiles?

That is what should scare us every time we remember what happened this day. All the oil interventions in the world aren’t as dangerous to you and me as having granny-groping dunces for airline security.

Never forget.

MelonCollie on September 11, 2012 at 9:27 AM

And (so far) the end result was we got Obama and they lost Osama….

albill on September 11, 2012 at 9:32 AM

How dare you call my patriotism into question.

libertarianlunatic on September 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM

How dare you call OURS into question, you worthless troll? I don’t know who the hell you are. Never seen you post before. So kindly crawl back under your bridge to the pile of feces you sleep on.

MadisonConservative on September 11, 2012 at 9:34 AM

tom daschle concerned on September 11, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Hope you enjoyed! Let me know when you come by again!

Libertarianlunatic,

Here on Long Island, everyone knows someone who died there. Everyone has a relative who worked down there, or helped clean up, died or nearly died (missed a train to work at WTC, or left to grab breakfast quickly). FDNY and NYPD members live all over Long Island and the Tri-State area. Many who died lived all over the area, too.

My best friends dad retired from FDNY weeks before, and drove into GZ that day to find his best friends. Found his torso. Our local FD flew into NYC that day.

Everywhere you look around here, there are pieces of the WTC at small memorial sites. Passed two yesterday on my way to Hampton Bays beach. There are more a couple towns over, and more past that.

Down the road is a small stone that memorializes some of the people that lived down the street and who never came home.

Many of our friends joined the military to go fight after 9/11. Many of them didn’t come home.

Drive on Ocean Pkwy, you can see the NYC skyline 20 miles out. Look, and you’re reminded.

It isn’t about being a baby. The fact is, around here, it is ALWAYS in our faces, and you know what? For us, it IS personal. It isn’t for attention, or for sympathy. It is the fact that our area in particular, has the ghost of 9/11 trailing it at all times.

blatantblue on September 11, 2012 at 9:34 AM

For me, today is more than a day of remembrance and prayer for those many lives affected. It is and remains a day of anger. Anger at the Islamists who attacked us then and who continue to plan our deaths. Anger, even moreso, for our own politicians who sent the finest fighting force in history to exact justice but who, almost from day one, shackled these heroes with politically correct rules of engagement that not only allowed many of the enemy to escape our wrath but also caused too many of their own deaths or serious injury. And, now, anger at those who put those same heroes at risk by leaking sensitive information so as to prop up a failed president who, from his words and actions, has more in common with the enemy than he does with the rest of us. A day of anger, indeed.

TXUS on September 11, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Anyway…it was only 11 years ago? Seems like it might as well be 50, the way the country has changed ever since.

My hope is that we’re soon done in Afghanistan. We went in for the right reasons, but we’ve given up fighting the good fight. Let’s just bring our boys home. Perhaps it’ll give us a bit of closure.

MadisonConservative on September 11, 2012 at 9:36 AM

And (so far) the end result was we got Obama and they lost Osama….

albill on September 11, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Lousy trade, IMHO.

Osama’s 9/11 planners were all blown to bits years before we nailed the SOB, and there’ll be someone to take his place. Obama’s cronies are still alive and well…and they currently have a stranglehold on our political process.

MelonCollie on September 11, 2012 at 9:36 AM

libertarianlunatic on September 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Who puked this loser in here?

22044 on September 11, 2012 at 9:37 AM

If someone can get me the IP addresses of losertarianlunatic and Dante, I’ll take it from there. I think it’s within the moral restraints of an ethical hacker to get rid of these turds from a 9/11 thread.

MelonCollie on September 11, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Visited the flight 93 memorial two weeks ago. Very nicely done. No “Crescent of Embrace”, although it looks like they still have plans for a crescent shape grove of trees at some point. God bless everyone on that flight. As much as today is a day of sorrow, think about how much more horrific 9/11 would have been if those bastards had managed to take out the Capitol and hundreds more lives within. Flight 93 was a major victory for us.

KGB on September 11, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Never forget the cost of our interventionist foreign policy.

Dante on September 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM

…today Dante?…even you go f4ck yourself!

KOOLAID2 on September 11, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Watching those people read off the names always gets to me.
I was in my classroom teaching that day and did everything possible to keep my students calm. It was the only time I can remember when lunchtime at my high school was dead silent.
We were all stunned and afraid.
I wanted more than anything to leave immediately to check on my elderly mother, to go home and hug my dogs and never let go.

bailey24 on September 11, 2012 at 9:39 AM

D@#n Trolls.

kingsjester on September 11, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Facepalm!

In the immortal words of Bugs Bunny….What a Maroon!!!

dddave on September 11, 2012 at 9:40 AM

libertarianlunatic on September 11, 2012 at 9:15 AM

How unfortunate that you choose to attack people who are remembering those who were lost. Yes, I understand the difference between mourning and remembering. I was only posting a remembrance. I had a sister who died 25 years ago, so I KNOW the difference.

My friend murdered at the WTC had over a 1,000 people at his funeral. How many will attend yours?

Urban Infidel on September 11, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Yeah. Because we deserved it.

Washington Nearsider on September 11, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I didn’t say we deserved it, nor do I believe that. But 9/11 is a direct result of our interventionist foreign policy. bin laden laid it out in his 1996 fatwah, and the CIA agreed.

Secondly, Ron Paul is not isolationst; he is non-interventionist. He favors not meddling in the affairs of foreign nations and having a strong defense where it belongs: at home.

Dante on September 11, 2012 at 9:43 AM

…today Dante?…even you go f4ck yourself!

KOOLAID2 on September 11, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I can’t think of a more appropriate day.

Dante on September 11, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Flora Duh on September 11, 2012 at 9:25 AM

…sorry Duh!…it does seem on EVERY thread since the convention…there is a concerted effort!

KOOLAID2 on September 11, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Never forget the cost of our interventionist foreign policy.

Dante on September 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM

What is it…something in the water today?

As for “the costs of our interventionist foreign policy”…the Kuwaitis might disagree with you. Not to mention, the US wasn’t invading any middle Eastern nation on 9/11/01. Seems that’s you’re implying that the US somehow deserved 9/11…you did say “costs”.

JetBoy on September 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM

KOOLAID2 on September 11, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Yes, there does. And, I’m sick of it.

kingsjester on September 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I can’t think of a more appropriate day.
Dante on September 11, 2012 at 9:43 AM

There. More accurate.

kingsjester on September 11, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Don’t let the noise of very small people with huge egos distract us from remembering those that were lost and the heroism of those that fought back that day. Never Forget!

d1carter on September 11, 2012 at 9:46 AM