9/11

posted at 9:32 pm on September 11, 2012 by Allahpundit

Ed and Erika wrote about it this morning so I feel obliged. One of the few bad things about blogging every day is that eventually your readers have heard all of your stories (repeatedly), but a few people on Twitter were kind enough this morning to recommend my remembrances of 9/11 from 2009 so there’s the link for the benefit of newbies. I like this short piece from last year, too. It’s hard to express what it was like to endure 9/11 as a lifelong New Yorker but those two posts do a serviceable job, I think. I feel guilty about looking at the attack through that lens, too: The United States was the target, not the city, and so to feel some special claim on what happened because it happened nearby is to do an injustice to the 300 million of you who weren’t here. You were affronted as much as we were. I bear that in mind always, but reminders of the lost city intrude. That’s what last year’s post was about. They attacked us at Home, and at home.

Here’s a sentimental favorite from the lost city that I hope you’ll find affecting, wherever your own home is. The bit at the end starting at around 14:50 is as lovely as a punch in the gut can be.

Watch World Trade Center Construction Footage on PBS. See more from American Experience.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Ain’t NEVER going forgive, ain’t NEVER going to forget!

GarandFan on September 11, 2012 at 10:58 PM

I just watched Paul Greengrass’ United 93.

I am always moved when I think of how those passengers valiantly fought back.

dukecitygirl on September 11, 2012 at 10:59 PM

This war didn’t start with George Bush and UBL, it’s been fought by Charles Martel and Abdul Rahman al Ghafiqi and Pope Urban II and Saladin, and many thousands in between.

Sgt Steve on September 11, 2012 at 10:42 PM

You got that right.

dukecitygirl on September 11, 2012 at 10:47 PM

All you can do is contain Islam. Instead we are inviting them in letting them establish themselves in every country on the entire earth.

We have lost the war and most have no idea.

Well nearly lost. We could still wake up and win it. Number one on that agenda make Islam illegal in America. It is not a religion it is a political system that seeks the destruction of our own.

Steveangell on September 11, 2012 at 11:02 PM

blatantblue on September 11, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Hug your dad, I’m sure he’s still filled with the ‘what ifs’. Lost a good friend that day, his first trip to NYC actually, pitching a major deal to Cantor Fitzgerald that could’ve made him some nice coin. We never found him. Gone. But never forgotten. His wife and kids struggle still, not financially so much, but today has been tough for them, as each anniversary is.

TXUS on September 11, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About The 9/11 Conspiracy Theory In Under 5 Minutes

dom89031 on September 11, 2012 at 11:06 PM

TXUS on September 11, 2012 at 11:03 PM

My best friend Michael went to HS about two blocks away from the WTC site. His stories always send chills down my spine. He was in 9th grade as well. My roommate in college went to school with him too.

My co workers dad was a chief for the FDNY for some time. He had retired just weeks before 9/11. That day, he ran into the city to find his best pal, and found him a few days later, halved. Just his upper torso in the wreckage.

What a shit-tastic day. Anyone that tells me to just “move on” from 9/11 is kidding themselves. It isn’t a day you move on from. Sure, you live life, people box that pain up from what they experienced (survival, loss of loved one/friend, etc), but you don’t “move on.”

The experiences people like my friend Michael and AP had are attached to them. They carry it with them everyday.

You don’t “move on,” you simply live.

blatantblue on September 11, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Banned by the U.S. media, this should be required viewing for every adult and child over 12.
It is estimated that at least 200 people jumped to their deaths, far more than can be seen in the photographs taken that morning. The jumping started shortly after the first jet hit at 8:46 a.m.

It is graphic and will break your heart, again.

FLconservative on September 11, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Agreed.
This and images of those palestinians cheering in the streets. Let. Them. Starve. Let them all starve.

RovesChins on September 11, 2012 at 11:08 PM

dom89031 on September 11, 2012 at 11:06 PM

No effing way I’m clicking on one of your links.
Scram Ronbot. You’re not wanted here today!

annoyinglittletwerp on September 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Last night I was sitting in my car right after I pulled into my driveway. I noticed it was 11:59, September 10th.

I just sat there and waited for 12:00 September 11th to come, and when it did, this small yet firm gust of air blew through the trees almost at the exact moment. It was so eery and strange. Yea it was a windy day, but just the timing made it feel very movie-esque.

blatantblue on September 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM

blatantblue on September 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM

It was almost 10 hours before I got home to see television coverage. That footage of the plane flying right at the building was sickening. I was hoping W. would just say fckit and nuke the entire middle east.

Lanceman on September 11, 2012 at 11:15 PM

It is graphic and will break your heart, again.

FLconservative on September 11, 2012 at 10:55 PM

That it did. But I felt obligated.

Buttercup on September 11, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Lanceman on September 11, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I was in Latin class when the live feed showed the South tower collapsing. At that point the teacher turned off the television and we all went to our CD players with built in AM/FM for info.

Strange times. I truly consider the last 10-11 years to be a lost decade.

blatantblue on September 11, 2012 at 11:25 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on September 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM

We all know the government has our best interests at heart and it never lies to us. It is always forthright and honest. It should never be questioned. God save the King!

dom89031 on September 11, 2012 at 11:32 PM

blatantblue on September 11, 2012 at 11:08 PM

“Moving on” is not an option in my case. Bromides such as this wither in the winds of reality.

TXUS on September 11, 2012 at 11:32 PM

TXUS on September 11, 2012 at 11:32 PM

indeed

MoveOn.org was a direct shot at the memory of 9/11. Always hated them for that.

blatantblue on September 11, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Buttercup & Roves Chins, 2 very good friends and 2 others I went to grammar school with worked at Cantor which was of course devastated by the 1st plane. 1 was my best friends husband; he survived the initial impact to call her and said “he would try very hard to get home to her.” They just had their 3rd child the week before. I look at the videos every year, looking for him and my other friends, He was such a gentlemen, and well loved by his co-workers, deservedly so. I look for them on every video, hoping that they were not among those in the windows, and they just went to “sleep”. If not, they would have been the ones to assist others at the end; he particularly was an “old soul”.

Cheers to Tim, Tom, Danny and Joe. God rest you and all the other victims of 9/11/01.

FLconservative on September 11, 2012 at 11:46 PM

dom89031 on September 11, 2012 at 11:06 PM

No effing way I’m clicking on one of your links.
Scram Ronbot. You’re not wanted here today!

annoyinglittletwerp on September 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Is dom89031 really Rosie O’Donnell?

listens2glenn on September 12, 2012 at 12:30 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on September 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM

dom89031 on September 11, 2012 at 11:32 PM

And we all know that Hotair.com is the place to find people who just worship and revere government.

listens2glenn on September 12, 2012 at 12:33 AM

MoveOn.org was a direct shot at the memory of 9/11. Always hated them for that.

blatantblue on September 11, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Not that I’d give those loonbags any credit for being sensitive or wise, but “Move On” originally referred to the Clinton-Lewinsky affair. I guess Nothing To See Here” didn’t fit on the business card.

Dirt McGirt on September 12, 2012 at 12:35 AM

listens2glenn on September 12, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Exactly…which makes me wonder why you would call names and mock people who dare question the “official” government story. What ever happened to your hero’s catch phrase…Question with BOLDNESS!

dom89031 on September 12, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Thank you for posting this.

juanito on September 12, 2012 at 12:42 AM

I’m different. I look at everything we did after 9/11. Everything afterward, is what disturbs me the most. It’s one thing to have evil, murderous terrorists kill innocent people. It’s entirely another to have American’s build their own tyrannical police state in response to it. The debt, and government control that’s been put in place in response to 9/11 will ultimately lead to the destruction of this once great nation. That seems rather important, yet a lot on here support Mitt Romney – a man who will never change enough to reduce our debt or reign in the Fed.

No more chanting USA, USA, USA, because the 6 in 16 trillion has flipped on the debt clock. Please open your eyes, stop being overly emotional and look at things as they really are, not how you’ve been manipulated to believe. 9/11 was an evil, murderous event and I wish there was a hell for those murderers to suffer in. But we can’t let it be an excuse for us to ignore the damage we’re doing to our own country. Some will accept this, others will not.

Everyday, we need to hold people who claim to be Christian accountable for why they don’t reject government as it STEALS from us via the income tax. Christians belief theft is wrong and immoral, therefore it’s wrong for government to do it on anyone’s behalf. The same is true of murder. If thou shalt not murder, then you cannot delegate that right that you do not have.

If we’d never had an income tax we never could have afforded to police the world. If we would have never policed the world, 9/11 never would have happened. And remember, before 9/11 the Republican party was against policing the world and nation building. There’s a very clear pattern to everything that’s a “problem” today and virtually all of it stems from an over-active government that intervenes into everything. Mitt Romney, Barrack Obama will do nothing to stop that continual intervention and anyone who thinks otherwise is only fooling themselves.

fatlibertarianinokc on September 12, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Dirt McGirt on September 12, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Could have sworn I saw on their website once that they were originally named 911 peace something

oh well i still hate em

blatantblue on September 12, 2012 at 12:45 AM

fatlibertarianinokc on September 12, 2012 at 12:44 AM

“An evil exists that threatens every man, woman and child of this great nation, We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland.”

George W. Bush
Adolf Hitler

dom89031 on September 12, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Ahhh this is why

from wiki:

Following the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, MoveOn launched an online campaign calling for “justice, not escalating violence.” It collected 30,000 signers for a statement that argued: “To combat terrorism, we must act in accordance with a high standard that does not disregard the lives of people in other countries. If we retaliate by bombing Kabul and kill people oppressed by the Taliban dictatorship who have no part in deciding whether terrorists are harbored, we become like the terrorists we oppose. We perpetuate the cycle of retribution and recruit more terrorists by creating martyrs.” Eventually, this led to them working on behalf of Eli Pariser’s similar 9-11peace.org petition.[1] Pariser later joined MoveOn as its executive director.

blatantblue on September 12, 2012 at 12:48 AM

my bad, misread all those years ago. still hate em and they stank!

blatantblue on September 12, 2012 at 12:48 AM

And what would you have done after 911 besides making wishes?

If we would have never policed the world, 9/11 never would have happened.

fatlibertarianinokc on September 12, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Barbary Wars 1785It was written in their Koran, that all nations which had not acknowledged the Prophet were sinners, whom it was the right and duty of the faithful to plunder and enslave; and that every mussulman who was slain in this warfare was sure to go to paradise.

There were no US troops in the middle east and no Israel. They still attacked. Care to explain how that was the fault of the United States?

Care to explain the attacks on Denmark over cartoons when they are not policing the world?

sharrukin on September 12, 2012 at 12:49 AM

sharrukin on September 12, 2012 at 12:49 AM

La illah illa allahu wa muhammad rasul’illah

blatantblue on September 12, 2012 at 1:01 AM

blatantblue on September 12, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Ahhh.. The apology doctrine !!

pambi on September 12, 2012 at 1:09 AM

La illah illa allahu wa muhammad rasul’illah

blatantblue on September 12, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Those sort seem to think that every ill in the entire world is the fault of the west in general and the US in particular. They have the same ‘blame America first’ instinct that liberals do.

sharrukin on September 12, 2012 at 1:14 AM

No reason to ask questions…move along, move along.

dom89031 on September 12, 2012 at 5:01 AM

dom89031 on September 12, 2012 at 5:01 AM

Pull a couple more bongs and let the adults take care of things.

tom daschle concerned on September 12, 2012 at 8:01 AM

We will NEVER Forget!!..

Dire Straits on September 12, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I would like to know about what was learned by the incident that have been built into the Freedom Tower. In my mind I don’t believe that any building, regardless of technology, could survive what happened to the Twin Towers but I would really like to know what changes were made to enhance the ability to rescue people. Last night on the History Channel they had a compilation of a lot of amateur video with a couple of close ups of people “near” the impact site who were waving and trying to get air. It was devastating.

Cindy Munford on September 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM

tom daschle concerned on September 12, 2012 at 8:01 AM

OK Sheep. Go back to bed now.

dom89031 on September 12, 2012 at 4:54 PM