Video: ObamaCare diagnosed in one sentence

posted at 12:41 pm on September 10, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Note to amateur grammarians: Don’t try to diagram this sentence at home.  Via Andrew Malcolm, a physician running for the Illinois State Senate sums up ObamaCare in one sentence — one very long sentence, but still just one.  Dr. Barbara Bellar brought down the house at a Romney event in August with this perspective-setting description of the Affordable Care Act, which already has over 340,000 views but which I’ve just seen for the first time:

Against my better judgment, I decided to transcribe this video:

So, let me get this straight.  This is a long sentence.  We’re going to be gifted with a healthcare plan that we’re forced to purchase and fined if we don’t, which purportedly covers at least 10 million more people without adding a single doctor but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn’t understand it, passed by a Congress that didn’t read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President who smokes — [laughter] — same sentence! — with funding administered by a Treasury chief who didn’t pay his taxes, for which we will be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government that has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a Surgeon General who is obese — [laughter] — and finally, financed by a country that’s broke.

At the end, Dr. Bellar even channeled Allahpundit with this exit question:

So what the blank could possibly go wrong?

Not enough people could watch this video, for one thing.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

So, let me get this straight. This is a long sentence. We’re going to be gifted with a healthcare plan that we’re forced to purchase and fined if we don’t, which purportedly covers at least 10 million more people without adding a single doctor but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn’t understand it, passed by a Congress that didn’t read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President who smokes — [laughter] — same sentence! — with funding administered by a Treasury chief who didn’t pay his taxes, for which we will be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government that has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a Surgeon General who is obese — [laughter] — and finally, financed by a country that’s broke.

Only government would do this.

Bitter Clinger on September 10, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I saw this earlier and Dr. Bellar did a great job! It was really funny, IMO!

I hope she wins her election.
L

letget on September 10, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Perfection. This should be a Romney ad ASAP.

Pablo on September 10, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Love it!

TeresainFortWorth on September 10, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Exit questions FTW!

ted c on September 10, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Awesome. Well done.

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on September 10, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Friggin’ Hilarious.

Will be forwarding this link to everyone on my contact list.

Tim_CA on September 10, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Video: ObamaCare diagnosed in one sentence

Yes… The Government OWNS YOU.

SWalker on September 10, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Still, she failed to mention that Obama and his family also exempted themselves from the ‘wonderful’ plan and she left out the panel which will determin who gets treated, for what, and who doesn’t, yes the “death panel”.

The sentence could go on and on…but these are some highlights.

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Saw this one earlier.
No new Docs but +16K at the IRS. Perspective indeed.

Jabberwock on September 10, 2012 at 12:49 PM

determine

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 12:49 PM

As I have said since the beginning, if it is such a good plan why doesn’t it apply to the pres and congress etc.

rjoco1 on September 10, 2012 at 12:49 PM

thats been passing around on the internet for awhile now!

Dr. Demento on September 10, 2012 at 12:49 PM

“Honey, you didn’t build that”

With this admnistration nothing is off topic.

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Marvelous.

Prufrock on September 10, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Outstanding.

John the Libertarian on September 10, 2012 at 12:52 PM

The headline where the guy complains that his $350 echo-cardiogram is now over $1600 – same doc, same office, same machine, because of centralization of healthcare, also drives the issue home.

Blake on September 10, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Bravo. The spirit of William Faulkner. Only his sentence would have been much longer.

onomo on September 10, 2012 at 12:53 PM

No sarc – that was a mistake.

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 12:53 PM

LATCH ON AMERICA

Obama and Obamacare in a 2nd term? I can describe it one word.

TEATERPALOOZA!!!

PappyD61 on September 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Laughter truly is the best medicine. Thanks for the Rx, Doc.

Christien on September 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM

So what’s your point…?” - Obowma

Seven Percent Solution on September 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Forwarding to my mail list, something I rarely do….

SailorMark on September 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Not to forget the idiot chief justice, Roberts.

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Awesome.

Weight of Glory on September 10, 2012 at 12:56 PM

What could go wrong? The guy who’s banner you’re behind ould win and then refuse to fight to repeal it. Or he could lose as a result of his inability and/or unwillingness to promote and argue why free market principles benefit all.

besser tot als rot on September 10, 2012 at 12:57 PM

onomo on September 10, 2012 at 12:53 PM

LOL! You got that right :-)

MJBrutus on September 10, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I’m going to issue a warning to everyone on suggestions of violence and lynchings. It’s the quickest way out the door here. We change politicians at the ballot box in this country.

Now, back to the fun.

Ed Morrissey on September 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM

It feels SO good to belong to the government.

dont taze me bro on September 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Romney must repeal all of it, as he said at least 100 times during the primaries.

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM

No sarc – that was a mistake.

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Shhhhh, be very still and don’t say another word…

SWalker on September 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I’m jealous. Her explanation is much better than mine.

talkingpoints on September 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM

That was a chain email that was going around for quite some time. I guess someone finally read it while be recorded. LOL

ButterflyDragon on September 10, 2012 at 1:00 PM

ButterflyDragon on September 10, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Was it? I only get the ones that swear that Snopes has already fact-checked the claim that Martians secretly run the Bildebergers.

Ed Morrissey on September 10, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Not to forget the idiot chief justice, Roberts.

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Benedict Roberts? Yep, his decision will be one of the pivotal reasons this country will split. When a country relies upon esoteric eggheads to interpret what the Constitution says in clear language, just to justify massive government intrusion in private lives, we are done. Even repealing ObamaTax won’t be enough. Nothing short of a constitutional amendment is going to close the barn door that Benedict Roberts opened with his “it’s a tax, but it’s not a tax” sophistry. Supreme Court decisions like his are why this country finds itself at the edge of the abyss. Emanations and penumbras are simply statists torturing language and history to advance totalitarian ideals.

AZfederalist on September 10, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Put that on a bumper sticker! Except then you can’t see out the windows!

tims472 on September 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Now, back to the fun.

Ed Morrissey on September 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Whoops. Did I miss something ?

Jabberwock on September 10, 2012 at 1:05 PM

His would have been pretty funny, if it wasn’t so true.

KMC1 on September 10, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Shhhhh, be very still and don’t say another word…

SWalker on September 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I’m still a free American. Capitalism rocks. See the very end :)

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 1:07 PM

SWalker on September 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM

(not sure what I missed……but I’ve been there.)

Tim_CA on September 10, 2012 at 1:08 PM

She forgot the part where friends Of Obama get waivers by the boat load!

ConcealedKerry on September 10, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Only government would do this.

Bitter Clinger on September 10, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Only a corrupt government would do this.

May Pelosi ride out of DC, in the blue suit she had on when she marched with the hammer in her hand, and on a broom, the witch.

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Shhhhh, be very still and don’t say another word…

SWalker on September 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I’m still a free American. Capitalism rocks. See the very end :)

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I hear you loud and clear…

SWalker on September 10, 2012 at 1:11 PM

She’s a hater, will be the clarion call…and not one liberal will say she is wrong, just that she is a “hater”.

right2bright on September 10, 2012 at 1:12 PM

…so glad that the government media has run with that different perspective…that’s what THEY do…right?

KOOLAID2 on September 10, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Shhhhh, be very still and don’t say another word…

SWalker on September 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Pravda laughed. So did Fidel. But Goebbels laughed his dead azz off, again, in convultions in his grave. He’s been having lots of fun with Obama and his goons. It’s all so surreal, in a once very free land, heck, the freest ever imaginable. Yep, I can defend this freedom with blood, and lots of risk of life, I can speak in freedom, still. Contemplate this, not you, but all who’re even 1% inclined to be non-Voltairean.

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Whoops. Did I miss something ?

Jabberwock on September 10, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Must have been tossed down the memory hole before we arrived. :)

I’m jealous. Her explanation is much better than mine.

talkingpoints on September 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM

It’s because she took her time. :)

She plodded, crossed out, added … that’s the way you do it. She illustrates the place in life where that whole tortoise and the hare thing is actually true.

… looking for a laurel tree to make her a trophy …

Axe on September 10, 2012 at 1:16 PM

KOOLAID2 on September 10, 2012 at 1:12 PM

You want to always say the “old media”. They still eat Obama’s sh*t and mistake it for Beluga caviar, the fools. I wish his loss badly, but I wish theirs even more.

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 1:16 PM

passed by a Congress that didn’t read it but exempted themselves from it

Obama exempted himself and family from it too.

For this alone they should all be voted out of office, pronto.

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 1:18 PM

What will be different about Romneycare2.0?

He is going to replace it you know. He likes mandates dontcha know? So seriously, what is the difference? Who pays for it and which party gets the blame for it. I would rather senior citizens pay for it rather than my 1 year old daughter. They at least have a vote, and have had a vote for generations to make changes. Instead they chose to stick with the selfish greedy policies of socialism.

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 1:21 PM

ButterflyDragon on September 10, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Yes, it was indeed. I received a couple of different versions from some conservative friends who don’t like Facebook. I don’t think I still have any of those emails to be able to go back and find out if there was an attribution.

GeorgiaBuckeye on September 10, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Again,
All that the voting masses know….

is if a scandal tree falls in the woods, and the media isn’t “there” to hear it……

It never happened.

You have to be Clint Eastwood,

to make a difference with the Democrat Party controlled media.

FlaMurph on September 10, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 1:15 PM

My humor is often found trapped in a dark sardonic molasses.

SWalker on September 10, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Ed Morrissey on September 10, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I knew it. I knew it all along. Good to see it was finally fact-checked.

oldroy on September 10, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Obama voters LOVE THEM SOME DEATH PANELS.

When ObamaCare and the taxes to pay for it kick in THAT’S when the financial and economic collapse will happen.

…..and ROMNEY wants to keep ANY PART OF IT?

PappyD61 on September 10, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Hire this woman!

pseudonominus on September 10, 2012 at 1:25 PM

My humor is often found trapped in a dark sardonic molasses.

SWalker on September 10, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I get you, no worries.

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 1:26 PM

….Actually I was off a little bit on that post above.

OBAMA…………is AMERICAS’ DEATH PANEL.

PappyD61 on September 10, 2012 at 1:26 PM

So, do we know what parts of this healthscare Romney would keep? Any bets?

armedcitizen on September 10, 2012 at 1:26 PM

but I wish theirs even more.

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 1:16 PM

The media has controlled the conversation with an unhealthy impunity, but even on that front we’re making measurable progress. But I agree with you about where the problem really is; so did Breitbart.

Axe on September 10, 2012 at 1:27 PM

She is such a racist./

tommer74 on September 10, 2012 at 1:28 PM

What will be different about Romneycare2.0?

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I don’t know. What exactly is Romney’s health care plan?

Axe on September 10, 2012 at 1:29 PM

So, do we know what parts of this healthscare Romney would keep? Any bets?

armedcitizen on September 10, 2012 at 1:26 PM

This part, as of yesterday. Likely others, as time goes by. Forgotten are the 100 at least “if I’m elected I’ll get rid of all Obama’care’, bla, bla, bla”.

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 1:29 PM

So, do we know what parts of this healthscare Romney would keep? Any bets?

armedcitizen on September 10, 2012 at 1:26 PM

The mandate will stay. The children to age 26 will stay. Health exchanges will stay. The only big change will be Romney will return the medicare money and Ryan will steal our children’s future earnings to pay for it.

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Thanx, Ed. I saw this last week and was waiting for it to show up here. Dr. Bellar is running in a district in suburban Crook County, just south of the Chicago city limits. I hope she wins bcuz the IL legislature needs more like her–and less of those scummy Dooms who’ve been messing up the state for over 30 years.

stukinIL4now on September 10, 2012 at 1:32 PM

so did Breitbart.

Axe on September 10, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Breitbart lives. I ‘see’ him every day.

And nihilism sells. Not much, but like Occupy, it has a loyal niche.

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I don’t know. What exactly is Romney’s health care plan?

Axe on September 10, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I would imagine Romneycare 1.0. The version he has never backed away from. The one that came complete with the individual mandate and the raiding of medicare to pay for it, not to mention the abortion mandate placed on religious healthcare givers that we all attack Obamacare on.

Good times, good times. The Republicans, taking the reigns of democrat failures time and time again, leaving them free to pursue new endeavors for the Republicans to take over…

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM

The good Dr. Bellar

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM

So what the blank could possibly go wrong?

Yeah, what could go wrong? It’s the most wonder program evah! You must hate poor people! All rich people (with the exception of rich celebrities and other progressive-supporting elites) must pay their fair share!

/Obama-loving asskissing hardcore lib

Kingfisher on September 10, 2012 at 1:35 PM

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 1:21 PM

You have to first understand the complexity of developing FEDERAL programs vs. programs run on a state level.

Like 310 million vs. 6 million people. One size fits all ? Easy Button.

Your more serious question should be is what happens to those poor people of Mass that will have to scrap THEIR HC program and belong to the central Federal program. (Or get a statewide exemption waiver from Dear Leader)

FlaMurph on September 10, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Obviously a Palin hater, since she left out Death Panels.

/?

faraway on September 10, 2012 at 1:40 PM

To support your point Romney himself delivered a disastrous interview on NBC yesterday where he backpedalled on whether he would repeal ObamaCare, what parts, precisely, he would repeal, what parts he likes, which all assumes on its face that Romney supports ObamaCare in principle even as he takes issue with its particulars.

Depressing I must say. The doctor with her long sentence is great. Why she thinks Romney will do anything about this problem when he is even now saying that he won’t is a mystery.

casuist on September 10, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Now, back to the fun.

Ed Morrissey on September 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Ed:

Some actually thought we got Hopenchange. So,I’m hopen (sic) it will change.

Gird thy loins !!!!!!

DevilsPrinciple on September 10, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Obama voters LOVE THEM SOME DEATH PANELS.

…..and ROMNEY wants to keep ANY PART OF IT?

PappyD61 on September 10, 2012 at 1:24 PM

No need for new taxes,
Obamacare has access to all your bank accounts.

And how that electronic medical data stuff going? You know computer software NEVER makes a mistake, right! right???

orbitalair on September 10, 2012 at 1:43 PM

It is almost as funny to see people laugh at this while at the same time thinking Romney will change any of it. That right there is the real joke.

Well, actually when I think about it, no, not funny at all.

And for those who say well he’s better than 0hbummer….. Titanic, deck chairs, etc….

Oh, and since lots of pilers-on will gime sheet for dumping on RomnBama, know what is important to me in an election. 2nd Amendment, period. What was his NRA score? yikes, thanks establishment RNC…

armedcitizen on September 10, 2012 at 1:46 PM

FlaMurph on September 10, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Medical choices and paying for them are personal things. Why is the federal government involved in these things? When my wife’s family in the philippines needs medical care. The money comes from my pocket to pay for it. They are poor. They are my relatives. Who should I be supporting? Some crack wh0re in philadelphia or my own family? Why am I out 25% of my wealth creation for 2011 to pay for people who refuse to get off their asses and get a job? Figure calculated using all the social spending at federal, state and local levels comapred to total spending for all and the amount of taxes withheld and kept by the same. Social security and medicare being the largest portion of it.

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 1:47 PM

The biggest hoax, ever

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Romney has said he’ll pay for those cuts by eliminating loopholes and deductions for higher-income earners. But both Republicans were unyielding in saying that the specifics would come only after the election.

“Mitt Romney and I, based on our experience, think the best way to do this is to show the framework, show the outlines of these plans, and then to work with Congress to do this,” Ryan said on ABC’s “This Week.”

Axe on September 10, 2012 at 1:54 PM

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 1:47 PM

*So we have to elect him …

… hold on, this is fun to type …

So we have to elect him to find out what’s in it. :)

lol

omg

Axe on September 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM

oldroy on September 10, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Hey my dogs love your dog food and it’s so inexpensive too but I bet you get that a lot. :-)

tims472 on September 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Axe on September 10, 2012 at 1:54 PM

With tax rates at 70% the government collected 18%, with tax rates at 30% the government collected 19% with the tax rates at 36% the government collected 16%. There is a limit to the amount of wealth creation people are willing to part with. There is a limit to how much the government can take from the economy and spend unwisely. That limit in America is about 19% for the federal government during good times and goes down in bad times. loophole or no loophole you just will not collect more for very long as people will adjust their wealth creation and where and when they realize it to stick to that limit. Thus the limitation must be on spending. Are they talking about limiting the spending? NO? Get back to me when they do.

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Axe on September 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM

OMG, i love it.

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 2:00 PM

*So we have to elect him …

… hold on, this is fun to type …

So we have to elect him to find out what’s in it. :)

lol

omg

Axe on September 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM

—————————————————-

Ouch! Sounds bout right…

armedcitizen on September 10, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I wish I could vote for Dr. Bellar.

RebeccaH on September 10, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Great video…Now someone should do this with Obama’s foreign policy,DOJ,EPA & economic policy.

workingclass artist on September 10, 2012 at 2:14 PM

The the antidote is – Vote for Mitt & Paul and start drinking heavily.

redguy on September 10, 2012 at 2:20 PM

redguy on September 10, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Yeah, no, thanks.

armedcitizen on September 10, 2012 at 2:26 PM

She forgot the part where friends Of Obama get waivers by the boat load!

ConcealedKerry on September 10, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Speaking of Obama’s friends, it was reported on FNC earlier today that Obama adviser and Chicago slumlord Valerie Jarrett has a full complement of Secret Service agents providing her with protection 24/7. Cost of this extravagance to taxpayers: undisclosed.

It’s good to be king, isn’t it?

AZCoyote on September 10, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 1:32 AM

hispterer-than-thou bloggers

Was worth the ticket just for that. :)

Axe on September 10, 2012 at 3:01 PM

It is funny and sad. But still at least 1/2 the population says they want to reelect the idiots who yoked us with this piece of lying crap.

yhxqqsn on September 10, 2012 at 3:19 PM

WOW! A HATE-FILLED DOCTOR!!! She must eat “hate-chicken” at Chick-Fil-A”…
Why do rethugs hate poor people?
/Commies

Strike Hornet on September 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I hate to tell you – but this is old news. It’s funny as heck, but the good Doctor cribbed it from a viral e-mail – the first time I saw it was at least a year ago.

Turn MD Red on September 10, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Now, back to the fun.

Ed Morrissey on September 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM

And boy is it good they used that ballot box against the King of England…oh wait.

Nutstuyu on September 10, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Sure, it’s funny. But the laugh is on us, Americans.

bloggenfels on September 10, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Long sentence!? Pish-tosh. Modern ADD. Victor Hugo wrote a sentence in Les Miserables that runs two pages fine print. Or try just about any opening sentence of a short story or novella by the German author Heinrich von Kleist.

stillings on September 11, 2012 at 10:56 AM