Rep. Joe Walsh to the DNC and Sandra Fluke: “Get a job”

posted at 3:21 pm on September 10, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Just in case I haven’t been clear about how I feel about all of this “war on women!” nonsense, Rep. Joe Walsh (R-Illiois) delivered another of his epic takedown rants during a meeting with constituents over the weekend, with which I feel complete solidarity (and for a similarly excellent assessment of the DNC’s decision to have Sandra Fluke speak at their convention, Lee Doren‘s got it covered). And see, I can say that I agree with Rep. Walsh’s rant, as a young woman, because I am one. Or at least, I think I am. I might not be a real one, to hear the Democrats tell it.

So at the Democratic Convention Wednesday night their first primetime speaker was Sandra Fluke, whatever her name is. Think about this: A 31-32 yr old law student who has been a student for life, who gets up there in front of a national audience and tells the American people, “I want America to pay for my contraceptives.” You’re kidding me. Go get a job. Go get a job Sandra Fluke. …How crazy is this? In a way it’s not her fault, because we teach people this stuff. You go back to fairness, we teach young people this. Don’t worry government will take care of you. …We’re raising Americans who don’t know how to take care of themselves, who feel entitled. This a woman who feels entitled that we all should pay for her contraceptives. This is what we are teaching Americans? That was embarrassing, that was embarrassing.

Done and done. Parting thought from Mark Steyn:

So this is America’s best and brightest — or, at any rate, most expensively credentialed. Sandra Fluke has been blessed with a quarter-million dollars of elite education, and, on the evidence of Wednesday night, is entirely incapable of making a coherent argument. She has enjoyed the leisurely decade-long varsity once reserved for the minor sons of Mitteleuropean grand dukes, and she has concluded that the most urgent need facing the Brokest Nation in History is for someone else to pay for the contraception of 30-year-old children. She says the choice facing America is whether to be “a country where we mean it when we talk about personal freedom, or one where that freedom doesn’t apply to our bodies and our voices” — and, even as the words fall leaden from her lips, she doesn’t seem to comprehend that Catholic institutions think their “voices” ought to have freedom, too, or that Obamacare seizes jurisdiction over “our bodies” and has 16,000 new IRS agents ready to fine us for not making arrangements for “our” pancreases and “our” bladders that meet the approval of the commissars. Sexual liberty, even as every other liberty withers, is all that matters: A middle-school girl is free to get an abortion without parental consent, but if she puts a lemonade stand on her lawn she’ll be fined. What a bleak and reductive concept of “personal freedom.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Good Job!!!

Plus, this.

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Women only think about rubbers. Right?

faraway on September 10, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Good news on the poll front…finally…

joepub on September 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I wish Joe Walsh was my Rep. He’s such a breath of fresh air in politics.

Fallon on September 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I wouldn’t walk across the street for an Ivy League “education.” When it produces Affirmative Action pissants who can’t pronounce, “Corpsman,” or who feel that it’s incumbent upon others to pay for their protection, when they go bar hopping and end up with another one-night-stand, regret – that sounds like neither the “best,” nor the “brightest.”

All these “elite” schools bring to the table is nothing but a more virulent strain of Commie indoctrination.

F them.

OhEssYouCowboys on September 10, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Unfortunately he’s probably going to lose his race. We need more truth-telling like this.

22044 on September 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Hahahahahaha…

This video was put up against Walsh?

If anything, it’s an ad that will help him! Those folks aren’t very bright, are they?

ButterflyDragon on September 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM

And after that clip, he played a blazing rendition of “Funk #49″

brak on September 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Rep. Joe Walsh to the DNC and Sandra Fluke: “Get a joblaid!”

KOOLAID2 on September 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM

faraway on September 10, 2012 at 3:26 PM

No Rubbers no Peace! (or is that “Piece”?)

HotAirian on September 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM

808 RV, September 4 to September 9
Democrat(36%), Republican (31%), Independent/Other(30%)

Barry 46 Romney 44 Undecided 8

Obama’s lead over Governor Romney shrinks from 7 points in August to 2 points in September.

bayview on September 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Look who’s doing the “teaching.” Chicago teachers, who earn an average of $76k (before factoring in their generous benefits), are striking because they refuse to accept a 16% pay raise and performance reviews.

Meanwhile, 80% of Chicago’s 8th-grade public school students lack basic reading proficiency.

But don’t worry about the strike. Chicago is keeping many schools open so that government can continue to serve students all the “free” lunches they’re used to getting (and breakfasts and dinners, if the schools in Chicago are anything like the schools around here).

And we wonder where the attitude of entitlement comes from.

AZCoyote on September 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

And after that clip, he played a blazing rendition of “Funk #49″

brak on September 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM

It’s early – but I’m declaring this the thread winner

22044 on September 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

In a different time or atmosphere, the Flukes of this country may be listoned to. Not here, not now.
Her very presence at the Dem convention clearly indicates to ME that they are not focused on the important issue of the economy and are willing to set up any number of side issues to avoid taking it on.
Good for Rep. Walsh for pointing this out.

Jabberwock on September 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Good news on the poll front…finally…

joepub on September

Interesting, its with a +5 Dem sample to boot.

Zaggs on September 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Good news on the poll front…finally…

joepub on September 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I’m not that familiar with them, but I hope this helps our side calm the F down about these polls. I know some of it is done deliberately by the bloggers to generate traffic and posts, but I’ve never seen such a defeatist attitude from a bunch of people who should know better by know after 4 years of drive-by media propaganda.

Doughboy on September 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Mitteleuropean grand dukes

this steyn character is not really familiar with european aristocracy and has no idea what mitteleuropa is.

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

And after that clip, he played a blazing rendition of “Funk #49″

brak on September 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I was gonna say the guitar solo from “Life’s Been Good”.

Shred it!

Ward Cleaver on September 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

As much as I admire this guy, he’s wrong when he says she
needs to get a job. She HAS one. She’s a DNC Hack.

Anybody want to venture a guess what they are paying this
woman to spew nonsense??

ToddPA on September 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Amen!

I’m a young woman who wants to better her education by going to grad school so guess what? I’m WORKING to make money so I can PAY myself, no government handouts for me. And you know what else? I don’t want to have a baby yet so I’m keeping my knees shut too, who’d would have thought that would work?

NerwenAldarion on September 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Doughboy on September 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM

IBD/TIPP had been around for a while. Not the top notch polling outfit but certainly no worse than Pi$$ Poor Polling.

bayview on September 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM

No Rubbers no Peace! (or is that “Piece”?)

HotAirian on September 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM

According to the girl in The World According to Garp, “No glove, no love.”

Ward Cleaver on September 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Good news on the poll front…finally…

joepub on September 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Doughboy on September 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Ain’t that the truth, I swear some people scream about the msm and then fall hook line and sinker into a political elite malaise.

rob verdi on September 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM

When he said get a job did he mean a government job like his? Also when he talked about personal responsibility did he have any anecdotes of dead beat dads? Just askin’

plewis on September 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM

If I remember investors business and the tipp polling, they showed Obama leading but less then the rest of the pollsters against McCain.

rob verdi on September 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I adore this guy.

As a youngish woman I totally agree with what he said.

gophergirl on September 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

What? wrong. he’s a Brit who has written on the the Muslimization of Europe. lives in NH now and he’s a fabulous. steps in for RUSH.

gracie on September 10, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Joe Walsh, my Congressman. I don’t agree with him on everything but on this I agree with him 100%…

PatriotRider on September 10, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Amen!

NerwenAldarion on September 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Facts are hard (no pun intended) but nobody asked anybody for government handouts. What she asked was that birth control pills be included under her private health care insurance – for which she paid. Hysterical conservative bullsh*t.

plewis on September 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I remember Joe Walsh when he was with the James Gang.

:O)

OhEssYouCowboys on September 10, 2012 at 3:45 PM

It’s all about the vag-vag…

… isn’t it?

Seven Percent Solution on September 10, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Not when the president of the land is a degenerate in chief.

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 3:46 PM

rob verdi on September 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Part of it is just human nature. We see a lot of polls including Rasmussen showing Obama getting a decent-sized bounce from his convention despite a lackluster speech from the candidate himself as well as a creepy fixation on abortion, contraception, and collectivism from most of the speakers and people understandably freak out. But conventions give candidates a bounce because for nearly an entire week it panders to the base and revs them up. Once that euphoria subsides, things return to normal and the race pretty much goes back to where it was beforehand.

Just remember that we’ve won nearly every major competitive race since 2009 and have done so because we’re more energized and more organized. If we maintain that for just 57 more days, we will win.

Doughboy on September 10, 2012 at 3:47 PM

It’s hard to find a job in the Obama economy.

It’s not ME who suggests the President runs the economy, but rather Obama does.

So let him own it.

fatlibertarianinokc on September 10, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Getting a job defeats the whole purpose of the Obama administration. Liberalism does not mean responsibility and self determination. Sheesh.

Philly on September 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM

“‘What a fabulously confident and ingenuous-seeming political narcissist Ms. Fluke is. She really does think–and her party apparently thinks–that in a spending crisis with trillions in debt and many in need, in a nation in existential doubt as to its standing and purpose, in a time when parents struggle to buy the good sneakers for the kids so they’re not embarrassed at school . . . that in that nation the great issue of the day, and the appropriate focus of our concern, is making other people pay for her birth-control pills. That’s not a stand, it’s a non sequitur. She is not, as Rush Limbaugh oafishly, bullyingly said, slut. She is a ninny, a narcissist and a fool.’”

— Peggy Noonan

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Perhaps, but he has a grasp of capitalization and pucntuation, unlike, say, you. And how the heck would you know what he knows?

Night Owl on September 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM

And after that clip, he played a blazing rendition of “Funk #49″

brak on September 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Nice. Been waiting to post “Funk Dat.”

Question…
Why is it that bums ask me for money,
When I ain’t got none?
What is it, an “in” thing or something?
Let me remind this dude he ain’t got no money. Huh?

MAN…
FUNK DAT!
GET A JOB!

Christien on September 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM

plewis on September 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Then why did she politicize the issue ?
In a significant fashion.

Jabberwock on September 10, 2012 at 3:52 PM

plewis on September 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM

She went to a Catholic school knowing their policy. Everything outside that is faux outrage by a bunch of women no one wants to have sex with anyway.

Night Owl on September 10, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Come on all together now…

James Gang.

“She just turns her pretty head and walks awayayay”….

que guitar riff.

ToddPA on September 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Mitteleuropean grand dukes

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

And that constitutes your counter-argument? Pithy.

Solaratov on September 10, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Doughboy on September 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Preach it brother!

kim roy on September 10, 2012 at 3:55 PM

He’s just an ordinary, average guy.

Christien on September 10, 2012 at 3:56 PM

GET A JOB!

Christien on September 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Get a Haircut & Get a Real Job

22044 on September 10, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Doughboy on September 10, 2012 at 3:47 PM

You are correct.

rob verdi on September 10, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Amen!

NerwenAldarion on September 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Well! You just blew your big chance to speak at DNC functions. I hope you’re happy now!

/sarc/

Solaratov on September 10, 2012 at 3:57 PM

He’s just an ordinary, average guy.

Christien on September 10, 2012 at 3:56 PM

His friend’s got a Chrysler. He’s got a Dodge.

22044 on September 10, 2012 at 3:58 PM

wrong. he’s a Brit who has written on the the Muslimization of Europe.

gracie on September 10, 2012 at 3:43 PM

wrong. he’s canadian.

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 3:58 PM

A thirty-year co-ed named Fluke,
Awed the Dems in conven with her pluck.
“In term two, ” said she,
I’ll have flex’bility,
And need condom loads brought in by truck.”

de rigueur on September 10, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Sandra Fluke will never have a job. She will never produce value in her life. She is a lotter and a leech. She exists only to cling onto others, weep a bit, and sway “public opinion” in the interest of the “common good” and extort thru force or guilt the products of other’s labor to do with as she feels fit.

I hate these people more and more every day. Their virtue is a false virtue, nay worse, it is the antithesis of virtue. They are parasites without a modicum of symbiosis.

It is long past time tolerating these “non-profit” types that are blackholes of value in existence.

tom daschle concerned on September 10, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Fluke is just establishing some name recognition so she can run for office. Part of the big picture, just like Chelsea. Maybe she’ll take a whack(no pun) at Scott Brown if the affirmative action candidate fails this go around.

a capella on September 10, 2012 at 4:01 PM

And after that clip, he played a blazing rendition of “Funk #49 I Like Big T!ts.″

brak on September 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Christien on September 10, 2012 at 4:01 PM

And how the heck would you know what he knows?

Night Owl on September 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM

no grand dukes in mitteleuropa?

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 4:01 PM

wrong. he’s canadian.
sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 3:58 PM

ok. well he knows what he’s talking about and i have no evidence that u ever have on this site.

gracie on September 10, 2012 at 4:02 PM

As much as I admire this guy, he’s wrong when he says she
needs to get a job. She HAS one. She’s a DNC Hack.

Anybody want to venture a guess what they are paying this
woman to spew nonsense??

ToddPA on September 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Yep, and she probably has a 6-figure job lined up for herself after she graduates, doing some useful and vital work like “community organizing” or lobbying for some “reproductive rights” (a/k/a abortion-on-demand) organization.

AZCoyote on September 10, 2012 at 4:03 PM

plewis on September 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM

In that she demanded that the government force the private insurance company to give her her pills for “free”, it’s as bad, if not worse. In this case it is government forcing a private entity (here the insurance companies) to provide a commodity or service for others which they aren’t supposed to charge for. Unless you call the premium hikes we will all have to pay now. (In CT, I’ve already seen requests from Aetna for a ~10% increase for their medicare advantage plan, and from Anthem of ~14% for their small business plan, specifically so they can meet all the new mandates of PPACA). So the Government is forcing me to buy insurance, they are forcing me to pay more for it then I did because it covers stuff I don’t necessarily want or need, all so it can give entitled twits like Ms. Fluke, who will earn more than my entire family next year, something for free, that she can pay for herself if she just gave up two visits to Starbucks a month.

Because of the hikes, I’m going to have to forgo a few things myself to pay for these b**ches fun, such as a new pair of glasses, and a dental bridge, since it’s going to cost me $2K more than my insurance will cover. But I guess that’s all right because asking people to be responsible for their own non-essential medications is soooo unfair!

I know that the pill can be prescribed for medical conditions, I was on it for those for a fair few years myself. And making far less than a lawyer, I had no trouble paying the co-pays myself.

LibraryGryffon on September 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM

No Rubbers no Piece!

HotAirian on September 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM

A mantra for the dancing vaginas!

talkingpoints on September 10, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Mugshot of the woman who held a gun at U.S. Rep. Trey Gowdy as he was waiting to pick up his daughter outside a Spartanburg church on Sunday night:

Resist We Much on September 10, 2012 at 4:11 PM

A college education is supposed to teach you to think critically and rationally. If the bastions of higher education practiced this simple rule they would only produce…..Conservatives. Unfortunately our “educators” never learned how to think rationally and critically.

NOMOBO on September 10, 2012 at 4:11 PM

What’s wrong with Randy Sandy spending 20 bucks on a box of condoms and telling her boytoy(s) “If you want me, wear one!” ? Now that would be what percentage of Georgetown tuition?

Even if she did get pregnant, the baby’s grandparents could afford to raise the child!

Steve Z on September 10, 2012 at 4:13 PM

plewis on September 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Night Owl on September 10, 2012 at 3:53 PM

..ordinarily, I’d counsel ignoring this little pissant troll, but the fact that you left his sorry ass bleeding and broken in the dust was well worth your effort.

The War Planner on September 10, 2012 at 4:14 PM

plewis on September 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM

And the Obama administration responded by trampling on religious liberty AND, don’t forget, mandating that contraception and the rest be offered NOT subject to reasonable cost-control measures such as co-pays or deductibles.

That’s not health insurance; it’s welfare.

Now, rather than getting the perfectly acceptable generic, women have free rein to order up the expensive designer contraception so that they can yak at night clubs with their gal pals about Yaz like the hotties on the commercials.

Face it. It’s institutionalizing the sexual revolution and throwing a huge bone to the pharmaceutical industry.

Spare no expense…other people are paying!

BuckeyeSam on September 10, 2012 at 4:16 PM

no grand dukes in mitteleuropa?

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 4:01 PM

“Mitteleuropa” was a concept formalized by the German Chancellor Chancellor Bethmann Hollweg a few months into World War I, but it encompassed an area long regarded across the continent as “middle Europe.” Under Hollweg’s “September System” Mitteleuropa would include Luxembourg, Belgium, the Baltic and Poland, parts of Russia, and parts of France.

Luxembourg is still ruled by a Grand Duke (it’s been a grand duchy since 1815).
Between the Pomeranians and Courlands, the Baltics have had plenty of Grand Dukes. Poland? Belgium? Look them up. The region is fabled for its mosaic of “grand duchies.”

de rigueur on September 10, 2012 at 4:17 PM

plewis on September 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM

She was asking the government to step in between a private religious organization and its private insurer to force the first party to violate its religious principles and to force the other policyholders (should the first instance of coercion be successful) to pay higher premiums so she could get something she could easily pay for out-of-pocket. The feds’ counter-offer was to have the second party lie to the first party about the costs of contraception so the first party could in turn lie to itself about whether anything was being “paid for.”

Ms. Fluke is asking a fiscally troubled government to solve a $9-per-month problem. I think given $16 trillion in debt we can solve our own $9-per-month problems.

DrSteve on September 10, 2012 at 4:19 PM

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

It hurts…… Don’t it ?

First Clint…Now this.

FlaMurph on September 10, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Good news on the poll front…finally…

They’ve got Obama’s black vote at 88%, Jewish vote at 59%. Both meaningfully down from 2008. If Obama doesn’t break 90% of black vote — never mind black turnout down from 2008, which is likely — he’s in big trouble.

Uncledave on September 10, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Under Hollweg’s “September System” Mitteleuropa would include Luxembourg, Belgium, the Baltic and Poland, parts of Russia, and parts of France.”

de rigueur on September 10, 2012 at 4:17 PM

mitteleuropa, as it is used today, refers more or less to the lands that comprised the habsburg empire in the 19th century.

also, grand dukes were few and far between, so using the term as a generic stand-in for aristocracy, or even high aristocacy, is awkward.

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 4:34 PM

The War Planner on September 10, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Thanks, and I didn’t need a condom to do it!

Night Owl on September 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Your walkback is so much less CERTAIN than your original assertion. I am no expert, but isn’t it “Hapsburg” Empire?

Night Owl on September 10, 2012 at 4:40 PM

who is this dame sleeping with that he can’t pitch in at least half of that 9 bucks a month? what is he a hobo or living on a park bench? i hear those dudes who pan handle make good money- maybe she should upgrade.

if insurance covered only major health issues- and did away with the mandates for piddly crap like simple check ups and minor drug prescriptions it would be cheaper and thus more people could afford to be covered on their own without forced government wealth redistribution. costs would go down, access to quality care would be open to more people. if people were not allowed to use the emergency rooms for nonemergency primary care… one could go on and on…

but this selfish witch demands we all pay for her sex life and poor choice in partners…

mittens on September 10, 2012 at 4:40 PM

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Sad little walkback is sad.

DrSteve on September 10, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I am no expert, but isn’t it “Hapsburg” Empire?

Night Owl on September 10, 2012 at 4:40 PM

i prefer the original.

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 4:44 PM

F them.

OhEssYouCowboys on September 10, 2012 at 3:28 PM

And not in a good way either.

arnold ziffel on September 10, 2012 at 4:48 PM

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 4:34 PM

“Mittleuropa” as it is used today is the province of operettas and romantic comedies, every one of which features a “student prince” or “duke in disguise.” In popular usage, the term is practically a metaphor for quaint and out-dated European aristocracy. Steyn knows his cultural references. I would characterize your formulation, and objection to Steyn’s usage, as “awkward.”

Where do you get “few and far between” from an area about the size of Texas that was carved into at least a dozen duchies?

de rigueur on September 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Well said. Democrats do not believe women are intelligent enough to make a $10 per month birth control decision on their own. Why would any woman accept that level of denigration from democrats?

BruthaMan on September 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM

de rigueur on September 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Perhaps maybe Georgetown Law School has been relegated to the ranks of the Community College system, unbeknownst?

And besides G’Town law School only sets you back $70,000 a year…. so I think Mr. Steyn was …… embellishing a bit /

FlaMurph on September 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM

de rigueur on September 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM

no, dear, mitteleuropa is a cultural term very much in use, especially in the areas it denotes. (operettas, seriously?)

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM

de rigueur on September 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM

and mitteleuropa is definitely not a metaphor for aristocracy. go ahaead, show me a single example, apart from those written by ignorant, muslimophobe canucks, where it is used in that fashion.

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 5:01 PM

oh, wait, didn’t steyn the mensch write a book on operettas? why, yes he did!

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM

FlaMurph on September 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Well, yeah… and it was strange point from which our friend chose to launch his quibble.

de rigueur on September 10, 2012 at 5:07 PM

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Well, there’s your weasel wording right there. We’re talking about the audience being addressed by Steyn, which manifestly is not mitteleuropa.

oh, wait, didn’t steyn the mensch write a book on operettas? why, yes he did!

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM

You’re not only floundering, but pretty much underscoring FlaMurph’s 4:58 point above. Look, you did your walkback already. Now take a bow and retire gracefully from the state.

de rigueur on September 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM

oh, wait, didn’t steyn the mensch write a book on operettas? why, yes he did!

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM

That’s an oddly phrased apology.

DrSteve on September 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

retire gracefully from the state.

de rigueur on September 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM

state… stage… mitteleuropa… wherever.

de rigueur on September 10, 2012 at 5:13 PM

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 4:34 PM

And yet you still have posited nothing to rebut ANY of the rest of the argument.

Geez, you suck at this.

Dominion on September 10, 2012 at 5:22 PM

de rigueur & sesquipedalian…

Be excellent to each other.
Party on, dudes.

I have a mansion, forget the price.
Ain’t never been there they tell me it’s nice.

connertown on September 10, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Fluke already has a job: professional victim and CASUALTY of the Republican War on Women…

There is a political office somewhere she’ll be running for (D) or some community she can organize…

Khun Joe on September 10, 2012 at 5:30 PM

it’s you who’s being weaselly – just because the audience is American conservatives, he’s not at liberty to misappropriate words as he likes.

he meant ‘european aristocrats’ but wanted to use a less boring formulation, and figured that nobody in his audience would care about his sloppiness. i do.

de rigueur on September 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM

well, that was a side note to an otherwise valid point: just because steyn is an operetta buff (would that pass dadt?), he’s not an authority on european culture.

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Dominion on September 10, 2012 at 5:22 PM

so what?

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 5:38 PM

gracie on September 10, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Actually, CANADIAN, but I agree with the rest of your point, second only to Rush and maybe Levin. But great dry humor to his points…

riddick on September 10, 2012 at 5:41 PM

in which i admit that i was wrong.

Napoleon used to award that title extensively: during his era, several of his allies were allowed to assume the title of grand duke, usually at the same time as their inherited fiefs were enlarged by additional lands obtained thanks to being his allies. His conquerors, for example the Congress of Vienna, consented to yet more uses of the title. Thus, the 19th century saw a new group of monarchs titled grand duke all around Central Europe.

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Mark Steyn, proof that you don’t have to go to college to be a brilliant writer. He didn’t get influenced by the intellectuals like fluke, marx and sesquapadilianism either.

kirkill on September 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM

so what?

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Heh.

You’re the epitome of vacuous.

CW on September 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM

FlaMurph on September 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Law school is 3 years so that makes $210,000 which is retty close to a quarter of a million and that’s not counting condoms!

clnurnberg on September 10, 2012 at 5:49 PM

So women are now so independent that such independence is defined by demands of their government? That somebody else pay their way? How embarrassing.

CW on September 10, 2012 at 5:50 PM

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 5:35 PM

As FlaMurph above indicates, Steyn’s audience “gets it.” Referencing cultural touchstones are hardly “misappropriations.” Any American kid (actually, any kid in the Anglosphere) growing up in the Cold War would get Steyn’s “mitteleuropa”/Grand Duchy of Fenwick/silly aristocracy reference. The Mouse That Roared, for example, is as ensconced in American popular culture as, oh, Mario Lanza used to be. Just to grab at random something from a review of the 1968 movie based on the book:

It was the film that first saw Sellers take on multiple roles, as he played the clueless hero figure, as well as both the Prime Minister and Grand Duchess of the fantastical European Duchy of Grand Fenwick, an obscure mittel-European province in which the traditions are a distant echo of grand British imperialism.

And so it goes, book and film review after review in the hundreds. You seem fixated on operettas, but those may not even be the principal cultural allusion Steyn had in mind.

…he’s not an authority on european culture.

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 5:35 PM

You’ll have to share the title of your book on european culture.

de rigueur on September 10, 2012 at 5:58 PM

There’s a reason the Founders didn’t want women to vote. Sandra Flunk is the poster woman for that concept. Sorry ladies, but even Ann Coulter would give up her right to vote if women didn’t vote. “Sometimes, you have to cut off a finger to save the hand”. What does it say about Obama, and the DNC, when they put a useless hag like this front and center at their convention? Why would she need contraceptives anyway? I doubt if her girl friend could get her pregnant!

Except for slavery, every change that we’ve made to the constitution has been a disaster.

cajunpatriot on September 10, 2012 at 5:59 PM

in which i admit that i was wrong.

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Okay. And I was wrong to spook you with operettas.

de rigueur on September 10, 2012 at 6:01 PM

de rigueur on September 10, 2012 at 5:58 PM

ok, so i was wrong in more ways than one. thanks for the explanation. without that cultural context, though, it’s still an odd thing to write.

sesquipedalian on September 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM

There’s a reason the Founders didn’t want women to vote.

cajunpatriot on September 10, 2012 at 5:59 PM

They also wanted only those with the “stake” in the process to be able to vote as well. Land owners back then. People paying taxes today.

Imagine the ~50% who don’t pay federal taxes not included in the vote, anyone thinks liberals would even stand a chance at an office?

riddick on September 10, 2012 at 6:41 PM