Laura Ingraham: If the GOP can’t beat Obama in this economy, shut down the party

posted at 8:05 pm on September 10, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via the Daily Caller, here’s her restatement of the question on everyone’s mind. You could make the same point this way: Just how high would unemployment have to be to make this an easy win for Romney and the GOP? Ten percent? Higher? Or, paradoxically, would higher unemployment rates somehow further absolve Bambi of culpability? A million variables inform a voter’s choice but there must be some hypothetical degree of economic lethargy that would make a qualified challenger — and Romney is qualified, whatever else you think of him — a prohibitive favorite. How much pain are voters willing to suffer before turning the dial?

I think Peter Beinart makes a good point about the degrees of pain here being relative:

Mitt Romney is not a great candidate; Barack Obama is a better one. But without the Bush legacy, Romney would be leading this race. His problem is that except among staunch conservatives, Bush has so hurt the GOP’s brand that Romney doesn’t look like the fresh economic fix-it man that Republicans want to portray him as. Instead, it’s all too easy for Democrats to paint him as George W. Bush the 3rd, just as they painted John McCain as George W. Bush the 2nd…

Romney’s problem is that like Dewey in 1948 or Dukakis in 1988, his personal brand is weak. To win the primaries and gin up core conservative support, he has amputated those parts of his political persona that might have allowed him to come across as something other than a generic Republican. And unfortunately for him, when Americans think of a generic Republican today, they still think of George W. Bush.

Yeah, again, the convention was supposed to solve this problem to some extent, but “humanizing” Romney doesn’t really distinguish him from Bush. Bush was plenty capable of personal warmth, so much so that I think it’s one of the reasons his favorable numbers have rebounded to respectable levels as quickly as they have. The boldest move Romney’s made to distinguish himself from Dubya was to put Ryan on the ticket and symbolically renounce the profligate ways of the GOP’s not-too-distant past, but even that’s not a total break from Bush. Ryan voted for Bush’s and Paulson’s bank bailout when the financial crisis hit, and Dubya himself made a halting attempt at entitlement reform when he pushed private Social Security accounts at the start of his second term. In fact, the whole thrust of Romney’s and Ryan’s Medicare rhetoric since the ticket was set is that they’re fighting to preserve the basic framework of the welfare state but reforming it so that it’s fiscally sustainable. That’s a smart way to blunt Mediscaring attacks, but it’s not some sort of dramatic libertarian break with “compassionate conservatism.”

Meanwhile, on foreign policy, Romney’s trying to out-tough Obama on Iran while talking tough on both Russia and China, which arguably frames him as even more hawkish and muscular than the (in)famously hawkish and muscular Bush. Like Beinart says, the Romney brand just isn’t very distinct — except for RomneyCare, which is problematic in many ways — so a lot of swing voters may simply be defaulting to Dubya as a model for what Romney would deliver. And when the choice is framed that way, between a guy whose presidency saw the financial crisis detonate and a guy who’s done terribly in trying to recover economically from it, it’s no slam dunk.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

My thought: John Roberts.

Stoic Patriot on September 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Just another damfool spouting nonsense. OK, I’ll see you John Roberts and raise you Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Elana Kagan, and Sotameyer. Romney is a gamble, Obama a sure bet. I am so tired of you Rombots with your self-righteous pinheadness. You really want two or three more Kagans? That’s a guarantee with Obama; we also got an Alito with Bush. Are you really this stupid?

/out of this thread, looks like the whimpering and self-wetting fools are over here.

AZfederalist on September 10, 2012 at 9:32 PM

What do you consider “corporatism?” Big government in bed with big business? Hate to break it to you, but that is the entire economic policy of the Democratic party.

besser tot als rot on September 10, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Both parties, actually.

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Yes, the primaries are a testimony to Romney’s resilience. But you’re overlooking the other story they told us about Romney: If Republicans were willing to give Newt Gingrich 3rd and 4th chances before resigning to Romney, is it really that surprising that the country at-large is willing to give Obama a little more time before deciding to toss him overboard?

Resilience won the day in the primaries, and I think Romney will win in November– he’s such a lousy candidate that the country is willing to give Obama another look and a little more time before rendering their final verdict. We didn’t like Mitt Romney either; why do we expect the rest of the country to suddenly swoon for him?

Lawdawg86 on September 10, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Well, that’s exactly my point.

SouthernGent on September 10, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Accuse me of beating my wife again. For the record.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:27 PM

‘Again’ connotes that such mention has already been made here — on ‘the record’… a context clue that the bowl of pudding serving as your brain is, evidently, unable to comprehend.

FlatFoot on September 10, 2012 at 9:34 PM

There are two scales that people use to measure right and left. The one in the history books when I was in school categorized the corporatists of history as far right and Marxists as far left. That is how it works in most of the world, but in America many small government conservatives have come to consider themselves right wing, for whatever reason, and in their estimation corporatists, fascists and socialists are all far left.

So by one measure a corporatist like Romney are considered far right, and by the other measure corporatists are considered to be far left, but in neither case is corporatism considered moderate.

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 9:30 PM

That’s why I really think the political spectrum has proven pointless. Where, pray tell, does one fall if one supports the Palestinians in their fight against Israel? On the far-right Ron Paul/Lew Rockwell side, or the far-left Noam Chomsky side?

This is why the party loyalty is even more baffling. The GOP has clearly veered to the left. They’re maybe fifteen years away from being literally indistinguishable from the Democrats. I can only deduce that the fanatical support is desperation.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:35 PM

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM

You know, given the level of your responses and your obvious emotional condition, I’d say you’re not just turned 30. I’d say you sound more like you’re about 21 and this is your very first election.

If you want the ‘last word’ by all means have it. That’s one of the prime indicators of an immature personality.

I won’t respond to you again.

However, I may use one of those email addresses you so kindly posted, myself.

Take you best shot if that’s what you’ve got in mind, sport.

thatsafactjack on September 10, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Corporal Tunnel on September 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Yep. Its a figure of speech. BTW Jack is a Jackie, with a nice figure for speech.

SparkPlug on September 10, 2012 at 9:35 PM

*pissed off cause I can’t blame the iPad thingy on this one*

SparkPlug on September 10, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Lol! I do sometimes anyway. True confession. ; )

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 9:35 PM

FlatFoot on September 10, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I see that you’re a liar, as well as a coward.

Go beat your wife — some more

FlatFoot on September 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I can only imagine what kind of power-tripping pig you are, or were.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Yep. That’s a feature, not a bug.

SparkPlug on September 10, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Corporatism is cronyism, not capitalism. It’s not a feature, it is corruption. Corporatists are among the biggest enemies of the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 9:36 PM

From John Hinderacker @ Powerline, his article titled “Why Is This Election Close” nails the GOP problem, far more than yet another blurp Laura Ingrams moaning and bemoaning the state of the race.

Excerpt:

I am afraid the answer may be that the country is closer to the point of no return than most of us believed. With over 100 million Americans receiving federal welfare benefits, millions more going on Social Security disability, and many millions on top of that living on entitlement programs — not to mention enormous numbers of public employees — we may have gotten to the point where the government economy is more important, in the short term, than the real economy. My father, the least cynical of men, used to quote a political philosopher to the effect that democracy will work until people figure out they can vote themselves money. I fear that time may have come.

He goes on:

I am afraid the problem in this year’s race is economic self-interest: we are perilously close to the point where 50% of our population cares more about the money it gets (or expects to get) from government than about the well-being of the nation as a whole. Throw in a few confused students, pro-abortion fanatics, etc., and you have a Democratic majority.

sheryl on September 10, 2012 at 9:36 PM

SparkPlug on September 10, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Lol! I do sometimes anyway. True confession. ; )

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 9:35 PM

LOL. Me too. I blame the iPad thingy and I don’t even have one.

SparkPlug on September 10, 2012 at 9:37 PM

SparkPlug on September 10, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Thank you, Spark.:)

thatsafactjack on September 10, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I notice Ann Coulter has been pretty silent about Romney’s shitty campaign. Ann? Ann? Where are you, Ann??

GMO on September 10, 2012 at 9:37 PM

thatsafactjack on September 10, 2012 at 9:35 PM

One person is claiming I must be elderly, and the next is suggesting I’m barely old enough to drink. One’s wishing death on me, the next is calling me a wife-beater.

Romney 2012!

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:37 PM

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:36 PM

I do not intentionally lie. Ever.

Jealous? ENVIous? Awwww… muahahahahahaaaa

FlatFoot on September 10, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I turn 30 on Sunday, by the way.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Wow. Happy birthday, MadCon. :)

And thatsafactjack didn’t wish for your death.

Axe on September 10, 2012 at 9:38 PM

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 9:36 PM

I agree.

SparkPlug on September 10, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Axe on September 10, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Thanks, Axe.:)

thatsafactjack on September 10, 2012 at 9:39 PM

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Yeah. Don’t forget — you’re also a colossal dick-head.

FlatFoot on September 10, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I don’t dislike you, but I have to point out stupidity when I see it.

It’s an expression and thatsafactjack used it correctly, he’s not wishing you were dead. Here’s a little linky that might help you with this: Urban Dictionary: ‘Drop Dead’

I’m not taking his side, I just think you’re being ridiculous.

Corporal Tunnel on September 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM

What’s left out of the equation is that ‘thatsafactjack’ just happens to be a woman, despite her handle. And who among us guys has never been told to ‘drop dead’ by a woman. Methinks MC was too thin of skin here, though I’ve usually appreciated his posts, at least until this eve.

TXUS on September 10, 2012 at 9:42 PM

TXUS on September 10, 2012 at 9:42 P

Thanks, TXUS.:)

Thanks, Corporal Tunnel.:)

thatsafactjack on September 10, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I agree that the Republican Party will be at an end if they lose this election. There is no reason to sustain it if they can’t win with a Dem incumbent and a terrible economy.

gumbyandpokey on September 10, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Well when you’ve got 90% of the media pushing for the other guy, dumbing down the lazy, apathetic voter with news about celebrities instead of the economy, don’t just blame the GOP.

It’s the average, ignorant American voter who unthinkingly ingests garbage from the LSM.

And this is what we end up with.

dukecitygirl on September 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM

shutting down the party is a little too much hyperbole for me.

we can not blame the victim here. our society is celebrity obsessed. and the media is monolithically left. Most of the things we know about barry that makes him a poor leader are known only to the right wing blogs. diane sawyer or lap poodle Pelley won’t be doing any hard work this year questioning barry on anything.

i know that rushbo is a big deal…but every night of the week the big three get 25M viewers….and the big three get millions of AM viewers for the soft news…way left soft

virtually all newspapers are left…except the editorial page of wsj, ibd and washington times

i think brietbart said something about culture precedes politics. that’s right. mitt is at the end of the food chain…and that chain hates Rs…just for being Rs

think this way…Rs would not be comfortable pushing for one party rule…Ds and their myriad of supporters are eager for it

r keller on September 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM

sheryl on September 10, 2012 at 9:36 PM

But Romney/Ryan have promised to take money from future generations to keep paying them benefits.

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM

TXUS on September 10, 2012 at 9:42 PM

If I got all depressed every time a woman told me to Drop Dead I would have stopped stalking them years ago. (:

SparkPlug on September 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Democrats will not have the turnout they did in 2008. Their only hope is to suppress Republican workout.

Suppression is very effective. That’s why sports movies can be so good. You know the good guys are going to win the game, but you’re still on the edge of your seat riding that roller coaster. It’s human nature, and the Dems and their media allies are now exploiting it quite effectively. Remember that McCain was ahead in some polls at this time, and so were Gore, Carter and Dukakis.

Chin up.

The Resolute Desk on September 10, 2012 at 9:47 PM

workout = turnout. argh

The Resolute Desk on September 10, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Well, I suppose this is a modest improvement. At least they aren’t calling each other nista’s, mittleryouth, bots and ABR’s. Enjoy!

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 9:50 PM

GMO on September 10, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Ann???

Ghostflames852 on September 10, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 9:50 PM

OMG. Mitler-Youth? Seriously? I’m outraged.

SparkPlug on September 10, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Once again:

obama is toast.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 9:55 PM

mittleryouth

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 9:50 PM

People have used that? Seriously?

Again…why am I even surprised? HA has really gone to hell.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:55 PM

[...]

sheryl on September 10, 2012 at 9:36 PM

No, he’s wrong and here’s why: The problem with the “Oh my God, we have to get rid of Obama before he nukes America!!!!” shtick is that it indicates that America needs to radically change course to save itself, not just tinker around the margins. Obviously if America is so far up the creek without a paddle then a slight course adjustment is useless. The problem is that of all the politicians in America from either party, the GOP nominated the one that is most like Obama. You might say that Obama is a Romney clone, politically speaking. That guts the chicken little argument.

Based on the Republican candidate, what the GOP should be saying, if they were honest, is that Obama is trying his best but doesn’t have it quite right, and we, the GOP elites, are better managers and we can make Hope-n-Change work where Obama failed. Vote for us and we’ll tinker with Obama’s policies and make them work.

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 9:58 PM

It was Romney who implemented socialist dependency in Massachusetts.

You want to ignore that bit its called Romneycare for a reason. His entire governorship was the encroachment of socialist dependency.

This election is the last chance to do what?

What do you think Romney is going to do with this chance?

sharrukin on September 10, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Do you remember when, during Bush, they tried to pass that amnesty bill? We put up such a stink that they dropped it. I see that as our future, no matter who is President. I think about that bill, Chik-Fil-A day, and Carbonite, and I think we do have some power with Romney, but none with Obama. Just electing someone and then going about our own business won’t work anymore. I think it would be easier to affect outcomes with Romney rather than Obama. It could work if we elect enough conservatives to the House and Senate, and put up a big enough stink when they are about to do something stupid. He will have to sign what he is sent, and that is within our control to a great extent, through our Reps and Senators. It seems less risky than letting Obama keep doing what he’s doing, and some people can’t hold on for two to four more years.

Plus I hate Obama and I want to see him cry, and watch as he and Michelle are packed off to wherever the hell they are going. I want to see Chris Matthews spew spit all over the entire panel before he clutches his chest and tips over.

Night Owl on September 10, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Again…why am I even surprised? HA has really gone to hell.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I have to confess, I thought it was pretty creative, made me laugh in context of how it was used. The Pro Romney folks were trying hard to shut down the conversation during primary.

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 9:59 PM

SparkPlug on September 10, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Lol!

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Again…why am I even surprised? HA has really gone to hell.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Yes, remember the good ol’ days? Attacking getalife, pooptech, strangelet and a host of other lesser trolls?

You do realize this all can be traced to obama, right? Compare the outside world as well, not just HA.

Since obama won, people, all of us have gotten meaner.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Axe on September 10, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Night Owl on September 10, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I have not recovered from Bush and the 2010 lame duck session or the post 2010 back stabbing. We have no power with them and i am not going to be in outrage mode against my own party for 4 god forsaken years with Romney if I can help it.

Bush enabled the entire obama agenda. No just shy of a trillion dollar bills and he would have been another chump loser like Jimmay Carta. Instead…

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Night Owl on September 10, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Point well taken.

I remember Newt saying that it’s better to have a President and Congress you have to fight 30% of the time, than one you have to fight 90% of the time.

dukecitygirl on September 10, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Since obama won, people, all of us have gotten meaner.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:00 PM

And then there is me. I have actually gotten sweeter. I credit HA with most of that. Cindy Munford in particular.

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 10:05 PM

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 10:03 PM

No, public education and popular culture enabled obama to come into being, not W.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 10:05 PM

GTFO! You’re often rude and liquored up!

:D

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Axe on September 10, 2012 at 10:01 PM

; )

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 10:06 PM

:D

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Just imagine what I was like before. Lol!

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I would agree with this.

Think about how much effort it took to make that change with Amnesty.

Ask yourself this…would Republicans be more or less inclined to back Amnesty if a President Romney wanted it, or if President Obama wanted it?

We know the Democrats would back it regardless, so what situation would create the most Republican resistance to such a bill?

Night Owl on September 10, 2012 at 9:58 PM

It only works if we can realistically expect those GOP members to vote AGAINST their own president.

sharrukin on September 10, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Point well taken.

dukecitygirl on September 10, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I do not see 30% as even remotely likely. Closer to 80% in my opinion, and the only reason he would get by on 20% is because even broken clocks are right twice a day.

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I understand 110% how vile some of the Romney fanatics are, but dropping Godwin? Ugh. Not much better than accusing them of beating their spouses.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Since obama won, people, all of us have gotten meaner.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Definitely gotten meaner since coming to Madison. Can’t wait to move out of this fanciful urban playpen.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Bush depressing the conservative vote enabled Obama to be a valid choice for Democrats. Bush tanking the economy made Obama a certain victor. Bush pushing for and signing TARP at $850b gave Obama the tools. No Bush, no Obama.

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I thought that was your hometown!

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 9:30 PM

That’s why I prefer statist and non-statist. Because corporatism doesn’t work without a powerful state to give out the goodies.

besser tot als rot on September 10, 2012 at 10:13 PM

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Nope. McLame did that all by himself. He’da lost by 20% but for Sarah Palin.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I thought that was your hometown!

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Nah. Moved here after college for a job. I’m originally from Delavan…same as Walker.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Oh. But you are a Wisconsonite.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM

This is why the party loyalty is even more baffling. The GOP has clearly veered to the left. They’re maybe fifteen yearsdays away from being literally indistinguishable from the Democrats. I can only deduce that the fanatical support is desperation.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I was confused, but then I realized that you misspelled “days” as “years”.

Why just yesterday the Conservative Candidate stated that he likes the communist/socialist health care program that the communists illegally voted for and passed into law, against the peoples will.

orbitalair on September 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Valid point. I still found a laugh out of it. The use of Alinsky techniques can have that effect on even the best of commenters. ; ) Frustration is, well, frustrating. We all are from time to time.

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 10:16 PM

AZfederalist on September 10, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Shouldn’t have to have any Kagans if there are at least 41 GOP Senators (and especially 51 GOP Senators) under either a President Romney or President Obama. If anyone is increasing the chances of there being more Kagans on the bench, it is Akin. And Hatch. I’m sure Hatch would approve anyone to the bench (or at least past a filibuster).

besser tot als rot on September 10, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Oh. But you are a Wisconsonite.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Lifelong. Although I hate the snow, I love this state. Just stay out of the big cities.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Nope. McLame did that all by himself. He’da lost by 20% but for Sarah Palin.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Only because the vote was depressed in general leading up. No Bush, no Obama, at the very least Obama would have been much less destructive over all.

Bush is a big reason I am done supporting any candidate that does not represent ME, period. I do not want 2% better than the worst possible.

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 10:19 PM

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM

You guys are good at blaming others aren’t you?

It is just Laura here….other than making money running her mouth what has she done to advance the cause of anything other than herself?

All these conservatives on the radio and not one of them could run for office or come up with a true conservative who could pull this thing off?

No. Not a bit.

Maybe one of the reasons that it is difficult for Republicans to win is that a lot of people do not like people like Laura…they speak to the choir everyday, they make money, but as far as the rest of the country is concerned they are not exactly popular themselves.

I have not given this up yet, we have two months to turn this around and I hope we can…but Laura flapping her gums will not make that happen.

Terrye on September 10, 2012 at 10:21 PM

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Well, that is essentially Romney’s campaign isn’t it? Obama’s just not up to the task. Could see how you could have voted for him, but he’s just not a competent CEO to manage our economy in a top-down manner. Romney, on the other hand, has that experience in business and is prepared to effectively run your lives for you from DC.

besser tot als rot on September 10, 2012 at 10:22 PM

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Boy oh boy — still carrying on about it. You sure did get defensive over that.

Must have struck a nerve a little too close to home, eh?

FlatFoot on September 10, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Terrye on September 10, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I don’t know what choir she’s talking to. I can’t stand her.

besser tot als rot on September 10, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I’m supporting Romney…in spite of some of these “supporters” are here.

We’ve got to get this “Manchurian President” out of Our House.

kingsjester on September 10, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Terrye on September 10, 2012 at 10:21 PM

The wheels on the bus go bump, bump, bump…

It’s like clockwork. The second a prominent conservative voice says something a few fanatics don’t like, their life’s work is immediately expunged from memory.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Must have struck a nerve a little too close to home, eh?

FlatFoot on September 10, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Dude. You’re going full on Alinsky, aren’t you?

besser tot als rot on September 10, 2012 at 10:25 PM

“around here”

kingsjester on September 10, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Dude. You’re going full on Alinsky, aren’t you?

besser tot als rot on September 10, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Dehumanization, now in “conservative” flavor!

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 10:26 PM

sheryl on September 10, 2012 at 9:36 PM

I have not talked to a lot of pro Obama people out here in southern Indiana…but the ones I have talked to are afraid of one thing: losing something. They think the Republicans only care about rich people and will take their benefits {whatever they are} away from them..I try to tell them that sooner or later the government will go broke and we need to get the economy going again, but I think a lot of people think that is just impossible at this point.

Terrye on September 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Terrye on September 10, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Me either. I still have a couple more guys at the office that are on the fence with Romney. I think two of them will turn to my view. The other two, I dunno why they keep instigating the conversation, maybe they will, but maybe they are just pulling the chain. Swing states rock, what you do here, MATTERS.

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM

besser tot als rot on September 10, 2012 at 10:13 PM

That works, I think that’s the terminology I use most of the time.

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Since obama won, people, all of us have gotten meaner.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Maybe. Certainly stupider.

dukecitygirl on September 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM

sheryl on September 10, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Yep, and when China refuses to loan us more money to finance that mess, then you get a bloody mess.

Who is John Galt on September 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Yeah, well, I loved W.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Dehumanization, now in “conservative” flavor!

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Wow. Great tagline for yourself, MadCon. Kudos!

That is, if we were capable of having taglines…

FlatFoot on September 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I am not a fanatic..in fact I have been told right here at Hot Air that I am not fanatical enough..my point is that people like Laura are good at preaching to the choir but they do nothing to reach a broader group of people. They only care about going on the radio and the TV and making money. That is all. In fact, they like to shock and be controversial and raise hell and that is fine for them in their careers but it does not make most people like them or agree with them or want to have anything to do with their political philosophy.

Terrye on September 10, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I’m supporting Romney…in spite of some of these “supporters” are here.

We’ve got to get this “Manchurian President” out of Our House.

kingsjester on September 10, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I feel the same way. These Romney supporters make it hard to support him. But I will vote. And it will be for Romney.

portlandon on September 10, 2012 at 10:30 PM

That is, if we were capable of having taglines…

FlatFoot on September 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Is the NLEOMF an Alinsky organization?

besser tot als rot on September 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Yeah, well, I loved W.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I did not always agree with him, but I thought he was a good man and he got blamed for a lot of stuff he had was not responsible for…at least not entirely.

Terrye on September 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM

portlandon on September 10, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Jester is referring to that piece of garbage panfish/cd seven.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I’d say shut down the party, but I fail to see the distinction between them. If democrats get elected, it only affects the rate at which republicans can funnel money to their constituents. Vice versa.

Both parties are in the business of building bridges to nowhere.

spmat on September 10, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I’m supporting Romney…in spite of some of these “supporters” are here.

We’ve got to get this “Manchurian President” out of Our House.

kingsjester on September 10, 2012 at 10:24 PM

portlandon on September 10, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Ditto. But I wanna slap the Wrong Paulbots upside the head. They’re going to hand the election to Obama, the idiots.

dukecitygirl on September 10, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Terrye on September 10, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Yeah. Rush only gets about 20 million listeners a day and is often referenced on national news broadcasts, as well as by the White House. He’s done nothing.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Terrye on September 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Who did? On a personal level, he will always be my favorite President. Even over Reagan.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Both parties are in the business of building bridges to nowhere.

spmat on September 10, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Your concern is duly noted, troll.

dukecitygirl on September 10, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Yeah, well, I loved W.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Whats not to like. Record levels of home ownership. Trillions of dollars worth of unearned wealth created from nothing. Good times. I remember being on the sidelines of the housing bubble from 2001 to 2005ish when I just gave up looking for an affordable home. I remember mocking the guy that started work the same day I did when he paid like $125,000 for a 502 square foot condo with a tiny glimpse of the ocean at a certain time of the day if you were standing on the roof, for me on my tip toes. I think he sold in 2005 walking away with a fortune! Good times, good times.

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Who is John Galt on September 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I just hope that if Obama actually wins a second term and this blows up…it blows up in his face and he gets the blame…he certainly deserves it.

Terrye on September 10, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Notice something?

The trolls have been coming out of the wood work doing what their masters have told them to do, in concert with the dispiriting polls.

That tells me not to believe the polls and certainly not the trolls.

dukecitygirl on September 10, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I know what you mean.

Terrye on September 10, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Nobody really wants to vote for either Obama or Romney. Because we all know they, and both parties are responsible for EVERY problem today. Please let there be a conservative 3rd choice.

To make matters worse, there will be Gary Johnson but guess what these criminal anti-”Democratic” parties will do? They’ll legally challenge to get him thrown off the ballot. SO much for freedom and fair, free and open elections. Our elections are the least open in the world. Just look up the “comission on debates”.

I live in Oklahoma so we NEVER have anything other than Democrat/Republican whores on our ballots.

fatlibertarianinokc on September 10, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Terrye on September 10, 2012 at 10:30 PM

You are certainly a Romney fanatic. For reasons that I cannot fathom … I don’t know how anyone fanatically supports a statist pragmatism. But there are some of you. (Not a knock on you, I just hope you know something about Romney that I don’t – so that when he wins, I and we are not disappointed.)

besser tot als rot on September 10, 2012 at 10:37 PM

sharrukin on September 10, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Good point. They have done it in the past though, so I’m still thinking I’d rather have that fight than put up with Obama another four years.

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I’m already in outrage mode every time Obama opens his mouth, every time he signs a new EO, every time I see that hideous wife of his telling everyone what to eat, etc. I want rid of him, Holder, Lisa Jackson, that goober in the cowboy hat, Carney, the whole lot of them.

Night Owl on September 10, 2012 at 10:39 PM

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 10:34 PM

That was his fault? Yeah, maybe you’re right. If he just allowed the ‘rats to call him a racist every time he tried to rein in Fannie & Freddie.

Look. The economy didn’t have to crash the way it did. It took 15 months from Piglosi taking the House, Dodd & Frank taking hold of the banking committee to crash the system. Add in some Maxine Waters and you got problems.

Every one of those degenerate a$$holes should be in prison. Waters especially. But nothing will happen to her because she black. Amazing what 11% of the population can get away with because of skin color. Oh, and white liberals enabling it.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:40 PM

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Yeah. I did the same thing. Looked into buying in NoVA in 2003/4. Decided not to buy because housing price increases were insane and unsustainable. Should have got in in 2004 and out in 2007. Instead I bought the house I’m in now in 2007 (not in NoVA). Blegh.

besser tot als rot on September 10, 2012 at 10:41 PM

dukecitygirl on September 10, 2012 at 10:35 PM

No trolls needed on this thread.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:41 PM

besser tot als rot on September 10, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Bringing this branch of the conversation back to the original context:

A moderate [Romney] won.

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Romney is a statist who banned guns, inspired Obamacare and invented the crony/corporatist insurance mandate. Romney is about as moderate as Obama is, as in not at all.

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Terrye on September 10, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Well, it’s not just her..others hold the same view. I don’t agree with it and find it unhelpful, but I don’t think it’s self promotion.

changer1701 on September 10, 2012 at 10:42 PM

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I listen to Rush sometimes myself..and I even agree with him a lot of the time..But overall his favorable ratings among Americans as a whole is about 19%..Rush has not turned on Romney, not yet anyway. In fact thus far he has done the opposite, but my point about people like Laura is that she is complaining that the Republicans can not reach more people, get more people to vote for them when she herself is a niche person..she does not even try to appeal to people outside her base of listeners. That is not so much a criticism as an observation. She can blame all this on Republicans, but who listens to her? Really?

I honestly think the biggest problem is not Bush or even Romney…it is that so many people are dependent on the government and fearful of the future that they are trying to protect what they have..they are wrong but I think that is how they see it.

Terrye on September 10, 2012 at 10:43 PM