Laura Ingraham: If the GOP can’t beat Obama in this economy, shut down the party

posted at 8:05 pm on September 10, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via the Daily Caller, here’s her restatement of the question on everyone’s mind. You could make the same point this way: Just how high would unemployment have to be to make this an easy win for Romney and the GOP? Ten percent? Higher? Or, paradoxically, would higher unemployment rates somehow further absolve Bambi of culpability? A million variables inform a voter’s choice but there must be some hypothetical degree of economic lethargy that would make a qualified challenger — and Romney is qualified, whatever else you think of him — a prohibitive favorite. How much pain are voters willing to suffer before turning the dial?

I think Peter Beinart makes a good point about the degrees of pain here being relative:

Mitt Romney is not a great candidate; Barack Obama is a better one. But without the Bush legacy, Romney would be leading this race. His problem is that except among staunch conservatives, Bush has so hurt the GOP’s brand that Romney doesn’t look like the fresh economic fix-it man that Republicans want to portray him as. Instead, it’s all too easy for Democrats to paint him as George W. Bush the 3rd, just as they painted John McCain as George W. Bush the 2nd…

Romney’s problem is that like Dewey in 1948 or Dukakis in 1988, his personal brand is weak. To win the primaries and gin up core conservative support, he has amputated those parts of his political persona that might have allowed him to come across as something other than a generic Republican. And unfortunately for him, when Americans think of a generic Republican today, they still think of George W. Bush.

Yeah, again, the convention was supposed to solve this problem to some extent, but “humanizing” Romney doesn’t really distinguish him from Bush. Bush was plenty capable of personal warmth, so much so that I think it’s one of the reasons his favorable numbers have rebounded to respectable levels as quickly as they have. The boldest move Romney’s made to distinguish himself from Dubya was to put Ryan on the ticket and symbolically renounce the profligate ways of the GOP’s not-too-distant past, but even that’s not a total break from Bush. Ryan voted for Bush’s and Paulson’s bank bailout when the financial crisis hit, and Dubya himself made a halting attempt at entitlement reform when he pushed private Social Security accounts at the start of his second term. In fact, the whole thrust of Romney’s and Ryan’s Medicare rhetoric since the ticket was set is that they’re fighting to preserve the basic framework of the welfare state but reforming it so that it’s fiscally sustainable. That’s a smart way to blunt Mediscaring attacks, but it’s not some sort of dramatic libertarian break with “compassionate conservatism.”

Meanwhile, on foreign policy, Romney’s trying to out-tough Obama on Iran while talking tough on both Russia and China, which arguably frames him as even more hawkish and muscular than the (in)famously hawkish and muscular Bush. Like Beinart says, the Romney brand just isn’t very distinct — except for RomneyCare, which is problematic in many ways — so a lot of swing voters may simply be defaulting to Dubya as a model for what Romney would deliver. And when the choice is framed that way, between a guy whose presidency saw the financial crisis detonate and a guy who’s done terribly in trying to recover economically from it, it’s no slam dunk.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

OK wow guys. Even I’m like….walk back from the ledge. Might I remind you that this summer, when it started to look like Romney was gaining we on the left didn’t get scared. We got angry, we started organizing… I want Obama to win, but this dispirited crap is a drag to read. Where’s the feisty-ness?

libfreeordie on September 10, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Nice pep talk, but you didn’t all rally for the Won.

In fact, at least 30 or so Democrat candidates stayed conspicuously away from the DNC convention, on the advice of Pelosi and the Democratic National Campaign Chair, and don’t want him anywhere near their backyard. And are you forgetting already how many local officials, state and federal office holders have to change the air in their tires when he makes a local call?

Never mind the absolute loss of old-line blue collar Democrats. We’ve got our problems, but you really have yours.

de rigueur on September 10, 2012 at 9:06 PM

MC, wake up, Congress will keep Romney from doing crazy sh!t, and he’s certainly no Obama who will do it all through EO’s if he’s elected. Plus, if you and others stay home, we get destruction of liberty, the economy and capitalism, worldwide, on short order. This is not an ordinary election that can be corrected 4 years from now, as never in our history have we had an enemy in the White House, an enemy that has done and can do far worse than Mitt Romney could ever fathom. These are the choices, not the ones I want, but it is what it is.

TXUS on September 10, 2012 at 9:00 PM

They can’t force him to use the bully pulpit to fight for repeal of Obamacare, extension of the tax cuts, entitlement reform, tax reform, etc. And, heck, he’s not a very convincing proponent of free market solutions anyway, so even if he did, he’d probably end up turning everyone against those reforms.

besser tot als rot on September 10, 2012 at 9:06 PM

haha. Because I’m voting on an absentee ballot ahead of time.

SparkPlug on September 10, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Mischievous…

jimver on September 10, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Majority rules.

Take it or leave it.

FlatFoot on September 10, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Shocker. You don’t know what kind of government we have.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I’ll save lots of gas because I’m not going anywhere near a voting booth on election day.

SparkPlug on September 10, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Menu got you down?

Axe on September 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM

haha. Because I’m voting on an absentee ballot ahead of time.

SparkPlug on September 10, 2012 at 9:02 PM

See, I don’t like that. Nor that early voting hogwash. I prefer the day of.

Like that time in 2000 when me and 536 other jokers kept Owlgore out of the Whitehouse…

And a good time was had by all.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM

All of you folks who want to threaten that you’ll sit this out, think about the Supreme Court nominations.

blatantblue on September 10, 2012 at 9:03 PM

My thought: John Roberts.

If Dubya’s appointee’s mind snapped, why would I trust a guy who appointed only 25% GOPers to the bench, implemented gay marriage because of a court order imposed not on him but on the state legislature, favored abortion in the past, and has a sister that says he continues to do so?

If it were anyone else, it’d be a legitimate consideration. But it’s not anyone else. It’s Romney.

Stoic Patriot on September 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Neither was Lenin. Or Pol Pot. Or some mad regime.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 9:02 PM

They are so close in their beliefs that this hysteria over replacing Obama with Romney is largely meaningless. Its not a choice between Lenin and some normal guy. Its a choice between Lenin and Trotsky.

sharrukin on September 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM

haha. Because I’m voting on an absentee ballot ahead of time.

SparkPlug on September 10, 2012 at 9:02 PM

So, you can write, that’s a plus.

TXUS on September 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM

My level of disappointment with some is huge.

There is too much at stake.

wolly4321 on September 10, 2012 at 9:08 PM

You ABR’s are mental if you think you can survive a few more years of Obama and then everything will magically turn around.

The U.S. is facing a lost decade, or maybe even more if Obama is re-elected. A real Depression, Gun Control, crap energy policy, inflation, lowered credit rating, cosying up to Muslim countries, caving in to Sharia law in the U.S. are all future realities if Obama gets a second term. Good luck with all that.

Mitsouko on September 10, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Majority rules.

Take it or leave it.

FlatFoot on September 10, 2012 at 8:54 PM

God I hope not.

That’s what the Electrical College was invented for.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 9:08 PM

We had a Republican House, Senate, and White House for the first time in about fifty years, and the opportunity was p—ed away.

Reggie1971 on September 10, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Actually, the last time we had a Republican President, Senate and House prior to 2001 was in 1932.

I think we actually would have been better off had Gore or Kerry been elected and destroyed the Dem. brand rather than W destroying the GOP brand. Had either Gore or Kerry been elected, Obama wouldn’t be in the White House now.

bw222 on September 10, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I for the life of me don’t understand why the heII you folks are arguing this. The ticket going up against 0 is a Republican ticket, not a Conservative ticket. Big difference. It doesn’t mean that 0 won’t be unseated because a establishment Republican running against him. Yes a Conservative ticket would have been my preference. No Conservative won the nom. A moderate won. By default as is often the case. Folks we are not all going to get our way this time round, except to say we do have an oppurtunity to remove the stain that is upon our great Nation. This will have to suffice. We can all fight towards a more Conservative candidate next time. Personally I have come to conclude Romney is a good candidate in at least one sense. He will end up a hated man if he follows through on that which needs to be done. If he does not right the ship he will be just as hated. The larger rish for the Republican party is they end up the way of the Whigs. Satisfying no one will have huge consequences for the Republican party. Conservatism will ultimately win. Just not this time. Maybe we should all demonstrate a bit more patience, stop with the nista’s, Mittler youth, bot name calling solidify our imperfect support behind an imperfect candidate and rid the land of 0 . We have time to work on the rest later, but not if 0 remains. What do you say?

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 9:08 PM

FlatFoot on September 10, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Yeah, you really have to be a crotchety, cantankerous old fart to get annoyed at someone wishing death on you because you don’t like their political candidate.

And I’m probably younger than you, by the way.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 8:48 PM

You are constantly berating and cussing and cursing people here. Constantly. You are always bitter and dyspeptic in the discussion threads. It is rare when you are not. I’ve mentioned that — to you — several times over the last several months. Go kick your wife and kiss the dog if you’re so perpetually angry and leave the nice strangers on HotAir alone if you can’t be nice to them more often than not.

And you’re definitely older than me. You’d have to be to be as colossally crotchety and cantankerous as you are all the time. Elderly bullies are a sad sight to see, MadCon.

Take a stroll down memory lane if you don’t believe me — or if you just don’t recall due to your hostile dementia advanced age.

FlatFoot on September 10, 2012 at 9:09 PM

nathor on September 10, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Maybe i’ve just been misreading you.

Barred on September 10, 2012 at 9:09 PM

If you can’t bring yourself to vote for Gary, vote for the Constitution Party, whose candidate’s last name is Goode, I think.

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 9:01 PM

The Constitution Party’s platform reads like Rick Santorum’s. No thanks. As for Johnson, it’s a possibility, but I really don’t know.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:09 PM

sharrukin on September 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM

OK, then how ’bout this: At least Rmoney looks like me *dogwhistle*

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 9:09 PM

TXUS on September 10, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Well said and worth repeating. And let’s not forget about the Supreme Court.

JPeterman on September 10, 2012 at 9:09 PM

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I’m starting to think you get a thrill out of it.

Its a figure of speech. We do still have freedom of speech in this country, after a fashion, and I told you to ‘drop dead’ in that vein, meaning the same thing as ‘just keep walking’ … and you completely understood it as such unless you’re confessing that your mentally deficient…

Now, you’re the first to start calling others names. You did it to me up thread when you first saw fit to address me.

Let’s face it, sport. You got what you asked for, and then you whined about it.

thatsafactjack on September 10, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Mischievous…

jimver on September 10, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Hm. That word applies too. I was thinking of another.

Axe on September 10, 2012 at 9:10 PM

“2. Even the best polls – Rasmussen’s – overestimate Democrat turnout and are not designed to take into account anomalies like 2010.”

Oh My God. I just do not understand why Republican pundits go batsh** crazy trying to explain away bad poll numbers. Rasmussen is using a Republican +1 turnout model!!!! What more does Klavan possibly want?

And Rasmussen is showing exactly the same 5 pt lead that all other pollsters show. This nonsense went on in 08 when nobody could believe that Obama would annihilate McCain and the polls ended up being spot on.

gumbyandpokey on September 10, 2012 at 9:10 PM

rish=issue, freaking iPad!

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 9:10 PM

FlatFoot on September 10, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Ehh, that’s just MadCon’s way. It would suck if we were all the same.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Tricked ya. I’m voting on an absentee ballot so I will be staying home on election day. Mitt/Ryan 2012 R&R (:

SparkPlug on September 10, 2012 at 9:06 PM

That was mean. We’re all hair on fire today and we thought we’d lost you. :)

bluealice on September 10, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Mitsouko on September 10, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Meh. There’s no reasoning with so-called conservatives who think Obama is preferable. There’s little daylight between that and actually pulling the lever for the miserable failure.

changer1701 on September 10, 2012 at 9:11 PM

gumbyandpokey on September 10, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Election’s over, folks. obama’s a shoo-in. The gumbo has spoken. Let’s close up shop.

Ed, Allah, shut it down.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 9:12 PM

OK, then how ’bout this: At least Rmoney looks like me *dogwhistle*

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 9:09 PM

A day at the beach sounds more appealing.

Why get excited about a Hobson’s choice?

sharrukin on September 10, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Well said and worth repeating. And let’s not forget about the Supreme Court.

JPeterman on September 10, 2012 at 9:09 PM

…and don’t forget that little one-on-one with Medvedev!

esr1951 on September 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Shocker. You don’t know what kind of government we have.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Go beat your wife — some more — you crotchety old fart.

I know exactly what system of government we have and how it works. Electoral college and all.

Take your meds. If you don’t have meds — go to a friggin’ doctor and get some. Stat!

FlatFoot on September 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Mitsouko on September 10, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Wow, drama much? Anyone remember the great depression? WWII? WWI? Somehow people survived. I guess you really do need government to care for you. You are unable to take care of yourself.

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Many of us tried to pick a good conservative candidate in the primaries. But the establishment wanted “moderate” Romney, like they wanted “moderate” McCain, and once again they got their man. And once again, their man is “on the ropes” against the most radical leftist our politics have ever known, being painted as some kind of right wing luntatic. Worse, their man can’t even get a clean body shot at him, much less a knockout. It’s like Pee Wee Herman vs. Clubber Lang.

It’s not just the party that gets shut down if Obama wins, though. It’s the Constitution and its republican form of government that hangs in the balance.

I am no longer optimistic… haven’t been since the primaries.

bobcalco on September 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM

What do you say?

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Hear, hear..or Here here?

bluealice on September 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Go kick your wife…if you’re so perpetually angry…

You’re suggesting I assault my spouse, and I’m the angry one. Your buddy is wishing death on me for criticizing a political candidate, and I’m the angry one.

No, pal. It’s very simple. I’m aggressive, and on this occasion, you don’t agree with me, so you see the need to paint me in a dishonest light. I’ve been here for several years. Dips**ts who have no viable arguments always resort to ad hominem claims that I only attack people when I comment, or complaints about my censored profanity.

But please…keep calling me angry while others wish death on me. Really shows how objective you are. MSNBC quality objectivity.

FlatFoot on September 10, 2012 at 9:09 PM

So not only are you flatly denying my age, but you’re making bigoted remarks about age? What a prize you are.

I turn 30 on Sunday, by the way.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Sharrukin, I hope you enjoy your marxist paradise with Comrade Obama.

Mitsouko on September 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM

The problem with Mitt Romney is really this simple: undecided voters are as gung-ho about Mitt Romney’s candidacy as Republicans were in the primaries. The base was willing to give every candidate with a pulse a chance before resigning to Romney. And even the establishment didn’t want Mitt Romney; they pushed Christie to get in the race until the last minute.

It anyone here believed that a guy who couldn’t get any wing of his own party excited about his candidacy was for some reason going to be a huge hit with the population at-large, I’ve got a Bridge to the 21st Century to sell you. Instead, the general election mirrors the primaries. Romney remains an acceptable, though unlikeable, focus-group-tested candidate who panders and hedges away his ability to excite anyone; if he wins the Presidency, he’ll win it the same way he won the nomination– by default. This is exactly what we signed up for when Romney became the nominee; all the second-guessing pundits in the world (I’m looking at you, Scarborough) can’t now make him into something that he is not. Just accept that Mitt Romney is going to usually disappoint you, and every now and then you’ll be pleasantly surprised (see: Ryan, Paul). All of the pundits dumping on his campaign isn’t going to help the situation.

And FYI, before the usual suspects tell me to take my ball and go home, I’m typing this as I sit here in a Romney-Ryan t-shirt.

Lawdawg86 on September 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 9:10 PM

lolz. You have a love hate relationship with that iPad thingy.

Mitt/Ryan 2012

Vote early, vote often.

SparkPlug on September 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM

HotAIr is turning into little green footballs with all the Obama’s a shoo in chat.

clnurnberg on September 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Go beat your wife — some more…

Take your meds.

FlatFoot on September 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I’ll just let the emphasis be my last response to you…apart from the fact that I’m not surprised that such thoughts are coming from a unionized government agent.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:15 PM

FlatFoot on September 10, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Mad Con and I don’t always agree, but he’s posted here a long time and made many a great point over the years. Even when we’ve been 180 degrees apart, he has always listened and replied respectfully. If you gain half as much respect here, I’ll be impressed.

Irritable Pundit on September 10, 2012 at 9:15 PM

A day at the beach sounds more appealing.

Why get excited about a Hobson’s choice?

sharrukin on September 10, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I don’t get overly worked up over this.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 9:15 PM

blatantblue on September 10, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Not sitting it out, BB, just asking that the Team Captain show some leadership.

Take the fight to the Lefties and the Donks – show some cojones if you expect others to put their nut sax on the line for you.

(apologies to the female HA posters. Perhaps ya’ll could provide and appropriate female metaphor equivalent.)

Bruno Strozek on September 10, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Lawdawg86 on September 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Yay you..sincerely. Gotta get me one of those.

bluealice on September 10, 2012 at 9:16 PM

clnurnberg on September 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Don’t worry – that shoo is a half size too small.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 9:16 PM

A moderate won.

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Romney is a corporatist and corporatism is far right.

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Anyone remember the primaries? Romeny was going to lose to:

Herman Cain
Rick Perry!!
Newt Gingrich
Rick Santorum

None of that happened.

Then:

Brokered convention!
Sarah Palin swooping in!
Rob Portman!

None of that happened.

SouthernGent on September 10, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I turn 30 on Sunday, by the way.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Time to move out of Mama’s basement and come up for air then.

By the way… you still need to grow up.

thatsafactjack on September 10, 2012 at 9:17 PM

SparkPlug on September 10, 2012 at 9:06 PM

That was mean. We’re all hair on fire today and we thought we’d lost you. :)

bluealice on September 10, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Sorry. I was in a mischievous mood. I blame Bishop. He does that tricky stuff to fool us.

Mitt/Ryan 2012

ps: He who laughs last gets the last laugh, unless someone laughs after that then its a do-over.

SparkPlug on September 10, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Go beat your wife — some more…

Take your meds.

FlatFoot on September 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Your flat foot must go along nicely with your flat head…:)

idesign on September 10, 2012 at 9:18 PM

changer1701 on September 10, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Obama is preferable? I want Obama to lose. I want Romney to win. I want Romney not to be the heir to Ford, GHWB, Dole, and McCain. But Romney seems positioned to make all of those wishes fail to come to fruition. These wants are not, however, inconsistent with not wanting to support Romney. What I don’t want to do is support for a big government statist, whether his name be Obama or Romney. But, I’m planning on doing it anyway (as of today at least), just to try and get Obama out of there.

besser tot als rot on September 10, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Romney is a corporatist and corporatism is far right.

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Excellent!

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 9:18 PM

We do still have freedom of speech in this country…

thatsafactjack on September 10, 2012 at 9:10 PM

That protects you against government censorship. It has nothing to do with you wishing death on others on a privately-owned website. You don’t know that because you really don’t give a crap about anyone’s rights but your own.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Go beat your wife — some more…

Take your meds.

FlatFoot on September 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Your flat foot must go along nicely with your flat head…:)

idesign on September 10, 2012 at 9:18 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Sorry, FF, but that was funny.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Romney is a corporatist and corporatism is far right.

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 9:16 PM

What do you consider “corporatism?” Big government in bed with big business? Hate to break it to you, but that is the entire economic policy of the Democratic party.

besser tot als rot on September 10, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Romney is a corporatist and corporatism is far right.

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Excellent!

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Yep. That’s a feature, not a bug.

SparkPlug on September 10, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Romney is a corporatist and corporatism is far right.

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 9:16 PM

No, it really isn’t. It’s like a twisted cousin of anarchism, where either side can pander. ObamaCare was one of the most corporatist pieces of legislation in history, basically guaranteeing business for the health insurance industry.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I turn 30 on Sunday, by the way.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM

One of your comments up thread insinuates you may be taking time off from HA. If that is the case, which by the way I am skeptical of. Happy 30th birthday MadCon! In case I don’t see you on Sunday. *clink!*

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Laura you are being a defeatist drama queen.

tomas on September 10, 2012 at 9:21 PM

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:18 PM

If you’ve got a problem with it.. or a legitimate complaint… take it to the management.

Tips@hotair.com

thatsafactjack on September 10, 2012 at 9:21 PM

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM

..Jack Daniels.

The War Planner on September 10, 2012 at 9:22 PM

SparkPlug on September 10, 2012 at 9:18 PM

laughing here. Do-over

bluealice on September 10, 2012 at 9:22 PM

FlatFoot on September 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM

No. You don’t. Unless you don’t live in the USA, where we, Americans, have a constitutional republic.

besser tot als rot on September 10, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Not sitting it out, BB, just asking that the Team Captain show some leadership.

Bruno Strozek on September 10, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I don’t see where they haven’t.

Romney has belitted Obama to a mere community organizer.

He has hit him on his Chicago style politics.

When Axelrod had a rally a month or so ago, the Romney camp was there, and Mitt himself simultaneously holding a campaign stop outside of Solyndra.

They’ve hit Obama in ads on things like removing the work requirement in welfare.

Romney brought out the freakin’ whiteboard at a campaign stop to discuss entitlements.

They’ve brought up Obama’s abhorrent record on the economy over, and over, and over.

Hell, Romney made a BCertificate crack recently.

I must not be watching the same campaign.

blatantblue on September 10, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I turn 30 on Sunday, by the way.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Happy Birthday, MC!

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Yeah, I’m voting for Gary myself but mentioned the Constitution Party for disenfranchised social conservatives who might be reading.

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Romney is a corporatist and corporatism is far right.

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Juan Williams has spoke.

JPeterman on September 10, 2012 at 9:23 PM

..did you know that V!codin is one of the forbidden words here on HG?

So what?

Nothing matters anymore; the polls are telling me that Obama will win in a rout; all is lost; I am selling everything I own and moving to Tasmania and taking a couple of bottles of V!codin and a case of Jack Daniels with me so I can live out my golden years on the beach in a hazy coma.

The War Planner on September 10, 2012 at 9:23 PM

SparkPlug on September 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM

True. I see FR caught yet another error in my post. won=one

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Tips@hotair.com

thatsafactjack on September 10, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Is he still complaining? I thought he was taking a break for awhile.

changer1701 on September 10, 2012 at 9:24 PM

thatsafactjack on September 10, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Actually, it would either be allah@hotair.com or ed@hotair.com. The tips line is for actual news tips…a context clue that the bowl of pudding serving as your brain is, evidently, unable to comprehend.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I must not be watching the same campaign.

blatantblue on September 10, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Tell him to bring it down here to Floriduh. Post haste.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 9:24 PM

MC- yea, 2008 sucked. 2010 didn’t.

Have faith dude. I get it. Some days I get bummed out too.

Look at it thus. You know damned well we aren’t giving up. We rather die than be slaves. We are just starting the same methology the progressives did 100 years ago. Incremental victory. Pushing back.

We all want big steps.

wolly4321 on September 10, 2012 at 9:24 PM

The War Planner on September 10, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Lol!

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Romney is a corporatist and corporatism is far right.

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 9:16 PM

besser tot als rot on September 10, 2012 at 9:20 PM

And. Yeah. I figure you’re being sarcastic.

besser tot als rot on September 10, 2012 at 9:25 PM

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Gary? He’s a DOPE smoker! A po thead, if you will.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Mitsouko on September 10, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I am far more concerned about a lost America, if Obama gets re-elected, than a lost decade. The next president will get at least 1 or 2 nominations on the Supreme Court, and I know what Obama’s will be like. Plus, if Obama gets re-elected, the big businesses that made this country are going elsewhere and the small businesses that keep this country going are just going to stop going. This is not conjecture, it’s as a real as the Sun and the morning.

TXUS on September 10, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I mean, what do you folks want?

Obama to make comments that have the word “Kenyan” in it?

blatantblue on September 10, 2012 at 9:25 PM

The War Planner on September 10, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Any pharmaceutical brand name is a forbidden word. I’ve run into it before as well.

thatsafactjack on September 10, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I mean romney.

my bad

blatantblue on September 10, 2012 at 9:26 PM

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Once again I say — take a trip down memory lane.

It’s not that you’re “aggressive” at all — it’s that you are a total and complete DICK — to anyone and everyone who doesn’t agree with you all the time. You’re even a total and complete DICK to your HotAir co-bloggers on occasion because you simply disagree with a post of theirs.

If you’re just turning 30 — then you are truly farked in the head. I suggest you go see a doctor and get some meds before you get yourself hurt someday — or you hurt someone else because they disagree with you and the ensuing fit of rage blinds you to your actions. Early onset dementia of the hostile variety and/or early onset Alzheimer’s is a distinct possibility for you I’d say — but I’m no doctor.

Get help.

FlatFoot on September 10, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Interesting that the ABOs and the ABRs seem to fall exactly into the two ways the campaigns are attempting to frame the election.

Romney: “This is a referendum on Obama.” The ABOs

Obama: “This is a choice between two different paths.” (i.e., it’s a referendum on the out of touch rich guy). The ABRs

You don’t have to have supported Romney in the primaries or even particularly like him if you’re of the “always throw the bums out” school. You’re ABO.

But if you think there are other calculations to be made besides firing failures in office, then… the posts and threads continue. The calculations seem to run along a continuum from “If elected, Romney will ruin the conservative brand” to “If re-elected Obama will get blamed for crashing the system and we’ll pick up the pieces.” You’re ABR.

Personally I don’t get the logic of rewarding a failure with another term in order to punish or forestall a possible future failure, but there it is. I’d rather deal with the devil you know while you got him to deal with, then deal with the next devil when you get to know him better.

I was going to leave this on another thread on involving Mark Steyn, mitteleuropa, and American popular culture, but I’ll leave it here. Don’t hurt each other.

de rigueur on September 10, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 9:21 PM
FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Thanks. HA has just gotten way too toxic lately. I remember a small handful of McCain acolytes back in ’08, but they weren’t nearly as numerous or dedicated as the Romney fanatics we’ve had lately. It’s not really any fun if every thread is immediately started with “Now watch the ABR nutjobs complain”.

Maybe it would help if a week would go by without Romney giving us something to complain about.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Juan Williams has spoke.

JPeterman on September 10, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Argh! Tell me it’s not just me that finds all of this unnecessarily tedious.

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I turn 30 on Sunday, by the way.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Happy Birthday.

lexhamfox on September 10, 2012 at 9:27 PM

FlatFoot on September 10, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Accuse me of beating my wife again. For the record.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:27 PM

JPeterman on September 10, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Argh! Tell me it’s not just me that finds all of this unnecessarily tedious.

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 9:27 PM

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:24 PM

You’re making yourself ridiculous. Again… the best advice I can offer you is to take your own advice, stop posting for awhile to reflect, and man up. You asked for it, you got it, stop complaining.

thatsafactjack on September 10, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I mean, what do you folks want?

Obama to make comments that have the word “Kenyan” in it?

blatantblue on September 10, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Yeah. And if he would admit again to eating puppies and hating America that would be icing in the cake.

SparkPlug on September 10, 2012 at 9:28 PM

SouthernGent on September 10, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Yes, the primaries are a testimony to Romney’s resilience. But you’re overlooking the other story they told us about Romney: If Republicans were willing to give Newt Gingrich 3rd and 4th chances before resigning to Romney, is it really that surprising that the country at-large is willing to give Obama a little more time before deciding to toss him overboard?

Resilience won the day in the primaries, and I think Romney will win in November– he’s such a lousy candidate that the country is willing to give Obama another look and a little more time before rendering their final verdict. We didn’t like Mitt Romney either; why do we expect the rest of the country to suddenly swoon for him?

Lawdawg86 on September 10, 2012 at 9:29 PM

That was strange. My initial post was hung in limbo, so I stopped it and edited it. Both posted? Dang iPad thingy, dang HA thingy! Lol!

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 9:30 PM

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:20 PM

There are two scales that people use to measure right and left. The one in the history books when I was in school categorized the corporatists of history as far right and Marxists as far left. That is how it works in most of the world, but in America many small government conservatives have come to consider themselves right wing, for whatever reason, and in their estimation corporatists, fascists and socialists are all far left.

So by one measure a corporatist like Romney are considered far right, and by the other measure corporatists are considered to be far left, but in neither case is corporatism considered moderate.

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Unless you Bush the Elder, Jerry Ford and LBJ…

Bruno Strozek on September 10, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I’m not.

there has only been one time that a party was kicked out of the White House after just one term: Jimmy Carter in 1980.

Bush the Elder was fighting for a fourth consecutive term of Republicans in the White House.

Gerald Ford was fighting for a third term of Republicans in the White House.

Hubert Humphrey was fighting for a third term of Democrats in the White House.

Jimmy Carter represented the only time in the last century that a political party was kicked out of the White House after just one term.

Mister Mets on September 10, 2012 at 9:30 PM

opps: icing “on” the cake, not “in” the cake.

*pissed off cause I can’t blame the iPad thingy on this one*

SparkPlug on September 10, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I know it’s old, but it’s worth hearing again–this brief but chilling conversation between Obama and the Russian Prime Minister: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JpPU-SwcbE. (Transcript for those hesitant to click:
Obama: This is my last election. After my last election, I have more flexibility.
Medvedev: I understand. I will transmit this information to Vladimir.)

That’s terrifying. It’s terrifying as an indication of his intentions regarding Russia, but it’s terrifying as an indication that he has already begun to consider the “flexibility” he will have after the election. Think he’s only considered his flexibility in dealing with Medvedev and Putin? Obama has acted outside of his legal authority again and again (with absolutely no consequences!)…and that was while he still had an election hanging over his head.

Romney is a big question mark–no doubt about it. But I guarantee he won’t be making backroom deals with the Russians…or giving away the security secrets of our friends…or arming the drug cartels in Mexico. He may yet turn out to be a conservative hero–or he may drive us all to drink. But he is far and away the lesser of two “evils.” So–please–all those thinking of sitting this one out or voting for Obama–please, please, please–reconsider.

butterflies and puppies on September 10, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Suggesting he wished you dead is sooo weak. Please guve it up. It’s sad.

wolly4321 on September 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM

As a result, Tim Pawlenty, the most viable conservative alternative to Romney, had to end his campaign.

Mister Mets on September 10, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Pawlenty would have been an even weaker candidate than Romney and he’s not much more conservative.

bw222 on September 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM

thatsafactjack on September 10, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I asked for death wishes? Yeah, I guess criticizing one of the two candidates for president really is asking for it. Free speech protects wishes of death on a private website, but not criticism of a politician. Your world is so fascinating.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Lawdawg86 on September 10, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Excellent point.

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Madison Conservative, I think you’re a being a bit idiotic with the outrageous outrage over someone ‘wishing you dead’

This is what was said:

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 8:14 PM

And your a Democrat in conservative drag. Drop dead.

thatsafactjack on September 10, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I don’t dislike you, but I have to point out stupidity when I see it.

It’s an expression and thatsafactjack used it correctly, he’s not wishing you were dead. Here’s a little linky that might help you with this: Urban Dictionary: ‘Drop Dead’

I’m not taking his side, I just think you’re being ridiculous.

Corporal Tunnel on September 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Resilience won the day in the primaries, and I think Romney will win in November– he’s just such a lousy candidate that the country is willing to give Obama another look and a little more time before rendering their final verdict.

Lawdawg86 on September 10, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I must not be watching the same campaign.

blatantblue on September 10, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I guess we aren’t.

I see a campaign that basically hit the SNOOZE button when the RNC ended and hasn’t woken back up.

Believe me, I had high hopes for athe Mr. Nasty Mittens of the spring primary season to show fangs, but now, nuthin’.

There’s a whole lot of Atlases shrugging out there until they see Mittens red in tooth and claw…

Bruno Strozek on September 10, 2012 at 9:32 PM