Laura Ingraham: If the GOP can’t beat Obama in this economy, shut down the party

posted at 8:05 pm on September 10, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via the Daily Caller, here’s her restatement of the question on everyone’s mind. You could make the same point this way: Just how high would unemployment have to be to make this an easy win for Romney and the GOP? Ten percent? Higher? Or, paradoxically, would higher unemployment rates somehow further absolve Bambi of culpability? A million variables inform a voter’s choice but there must be some hypothetical degree of economic lethargy that would make a qualified challenger — and Romney is qualified, whatever else you think of him — a prohibitive favorite. How much pain are voters willing to suffer before turning the dial?

I think Peter Beinart makes a good point about the degrees of pain here being relative:

Mitt Romney is not a great candidate; Barack Obama is a better one. But without the Bush legacy, Romney would be leading this race. His problem is that except among staunch conservatives, Bush has so hurt the GOP’s brand that Romney doesn’t look like the fresh economic fix-it man that Republicans want to portray him as. Instead, it’s all too easy for Democrats to paint him as George W. Bush the 3rd, just as they painted John McCain as George W. Bush the 2nd…

Romney’s problem is that like Dewey in 1948 or Dukakis in 1988, his personal brand is weak. To win the primaries and gin up core conservative support, he has amputated those parts of his political persona that might have allowed him to come across as something other than a generic Republican. And unfortunately for him, when Americans think of a generic Republican today, they still think of George W. Bush.

Yeah, again, the convention was supposed to solve this problem to some extent, but “humanizing” Romney doesn’t really distinguish him from Bush. Bush was plenty capable of personal warmth, so much so that I think it’s one of the reasons his favorable numbers have rebounded to respectable levels as quickly as they have. The boldest move Romney’s made to distinguish himself from Dubya was to put Ryan on the ticket and symbolically renounce the profligate ways of the GOP’s not-too-distant past, but even that’s not a total break from Bush. Ryan voted for Bush’s and Paulson’s bank bailout when the financial crisis hit, and Dubya himself made a halting attempt at entitlement reform when he pushed private Social Security accounts at the start of his second term. In fact, the whole thrust of Romney’s and Ryan’s Medicare rhetoric since the ticket was set is that they’re fighting to preserve the basic framework of the welfare state but reforming it so that it’s fiscally sustainable. That’s a smart way to blunt Mediscaring attacks, but it’s not some sort of dramatic libertarian break with “compassionate conservatism.”

Meanwhile, on foreign policy, Romney’s trying to out-tough Obama on Iran while talking tough on both Russia and China, which arguably frames him as even more hawkish and muscular than the (in)famously hawkish and muscular Bush. Like Beinart says, the Romney brand just isn’t very distinct — except for RomneyCare, which is problematic in many ways — so a lot of swing voters may simply be defaulting to Dubya as a model for what Romney would deliver. And when the choice is framed that way, between a guy whose presidency saw the financial crisis detonate and a guy who’s done terribly in trying to recover economically from it, it’s no slam dunk.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

I just hope that if Obama actually wins a second term and this blows up…it blows up in his face and he gets the blame…he certainly deserves it.

Terrye on September 10, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Yeah, the timebombs have been set by Zero. Like, Romney gets elected, all the “discouraged” workers get fired up and rejoin the “wanna-work” force, and the U1 numbers skyrocket. U6 stays the same, but no one reports U6 which is currently over 11%.

Who is John Galt on September 10, 2012 at 10:43 PM

That was his fault? Yeah, maybe you’re right. If he just allowed the ‘rats to call him a racist every time he tried to rein in Fannie & Freddie.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:40 PM

He definitely promoted home ownership. Government and both parties were to blame for that travesty. Bush did try to rein in F/F, but that didn’t stop him from promoting increased home ownership policies. He brought it up at just about every single State of the Union, IIRC.

besser tot als rot on September 10, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Well, it’s not just her..others hold the same view. I don’t agree with it and find it unhelpful, but I don’t think it’s self promotion.

changer1701 on September 10, 2012 at 10:42 PM

It is frustration and worry and a lot of things as well. I know there is a lot going on there, I just don’t think someone like Laura has much of a history of reaching out herself.

Terrye on September 10, 2012 at 10:45 PM

No trolls needed on this thread.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I just noticed a lot of new names doing a lot of sniping at their “own team”. I think many are trolls and this is another internet campaign a la 2008, invading conservative blogs and sowing disssent and preying on the current gloomy atmosphere.

I am confident that this bump in the polls either do not reflect reality or will not hold for 55 some days.

dukecitygirl on September 10, 2012 at 10:46 PM

besser tot als rot on September 10, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Home ownership was not the problem…how people paid for it was the problem..Bush did try on several occasions to reign in FF..in fact at one point Maxine Waters got frustrated with him and told him that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. And yet she got no blame at all.

Terrye on September 10, 2012 at 10:47 PM

He brought it up at just about every single State of the Union, IIRC.

besser tot als rot on September 10, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Don’t think I’m not unmindful of that.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Yeah, well, I loved W.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Me too.

Night Owl on September 10, 2012 at 10:48 PM

All this garbage does is make me donate more, volunteer more, and work more people.

Rockshine on September 10, 2012 at 10:48 PM

dukecitygirl on September 10, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I hope you are right.

Terrye on September 10, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Bottom line. Rush and Laura are just covering their rear ends thiking Mitt’s going to lose. So are some other people, here. They want to be able to say, “I told you so.”

These the kind of people you want in a foxhole? Yes is likely the answer.

AYNBLAND on September 10, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Terrye on September 10, 2012 at 10:47 PM

As I recall, she was crowing about one of her homies, another black man who gon’ show whitey how it done, that Johnson butthole, who made off with $93 mil.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Romney is a statist who banned guns, inspired Obamacare and invented the crony/corporatist insurance mandate. Romney is about as moderate as Obama is, as in not at all.

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 10:42 PM

This seems to be sticking in your crawl a wee bit too much. Would it help you if I said moderate left of center? I want my comment to be acceptable to you. Isn’t that what you seek? For me to fit your mold and view of how I should think? Total conformity to your arbitrary view of things. Isn’t that what you are really asking for. Conformity to your way of thinking?

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Yeah. I did the same thing. Looked into buying in NoVA in 2003/4. Decided not to buy because housing price increases were insane and unsustainable. Should have got in in 2004 and out in 2007. Instead I bought the house I’m in now in 2007 (not in NoVA). Blegh.

besser tot als rot on September 10, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Picked my house up for a steal. 50k in 2010, december. Wish I was living there, but had to take a different job. Oh well. We do what we have to do to survive. Now I got a mortgage and house upkeep and an apartment. I cannot believe it has not been broken into yet. Rough neighborhood.

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Yeah, well, I loved W.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Me too.

Night Owl on September 10, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Same here. A crappy president, but a good man.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Don’t think I’m not unmindful of that.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Wow. Triple negative. LOL

Night Owl on September 10, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Terrye on September 10, 2012 at 10:47 PM

But he held the bully pulpit. He was the last and final person of responsibility on the issue. He saw the problem early on. In fact, he appointed many of the people who made the final rules and regulations, that is what presidents do. It is hard to blame a leech for being a leech. But when a butterfly sucks your blood out, that is betrayal. Or when your bunny rabbit damned near bites your nipple off… So moaning about a democrat pushing for free home loans to poor people is an effort in futility.

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Yeah, well, I loved W.
Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Me too.

Night Owl on September 10, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Same here. A crappy president, but a good man.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I’m just glad he was sitting in that chair 11 years ago, instead of this idiot we have now.

kingsjester on September 10, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Same here. A crappy president, but a good man.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I liked George too. Voted for him twice. I think it was a mistake. I did like him. Until shamnesty.

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 10:56 PM

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 10:55 PM

So why weren’t you marching on DC, protesting this?

dukecitygirl on September 10, 2012 at 10:56 PM

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 10:56 PM

So Gore or Kerry would have been better? Come on. It’s a little naive to expect perfection. You’re never going to have a candidate or President who will do what you agree with 100%.

dukecitygirl on September 10, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Same here. A crappy president, but a good man.

MadisonConservative on September 10, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Crappy being a relative term.

As I’ve always said, and let me be clear: With the exception of Reagan, you’d have to go all the way back to Eisenhower to get to a better President.

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:58 PM

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Yes. Because Gore and Kerry wouldn’t have been Bush on steroids with the liberalism./

Lanceman on September 10, 2012 at 10:59 PM

kingsjester on September 10, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Me too. Really, I can say other things. I just realized what tomorrow is. We’ll see what Obama doesn’t have to say this year.

Night Owl on September 10, 2012 at 11:01 PM

So why weren’t you marching on DC, protesting this?

dukecitygirl on September 10, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Protesting that house prices were too high? I was not sure what was causing the house price increases until the whole thing came down and people finally started looking into what was transpiring. Much of it can be laid on the laws the control banking which told banks how much money they needed to have in reserves based on the types of loans they put out. Mortgage Backed Securities and Government Originated Bonds had the lowest reserve requirements, and with home loan interest, it made MBS the single best investment a bank could make. It drove demand for MBSs beyond what a healthy market could meet, so an unhealthy market was created to feed the need.

Like oil prices of $200 would certainly open up less efficient places of extracting oil would do. Of course, if the $200 price was not the natural price, it would collapse in short order, making all those investments wasted money rotting on the sidelines.

Bush pushed for it. He was happy to trout out his numbers. I was appalled at $300,000 homes in the poor neighborhoods.

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Isn’t that what you are really asking for. Conformity to your way of thinking?

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 10:50 PM

No, you are mistaken, in fact I haven’t asked you for anything. All I did is point out that there are two scales by which the world measures left, right and center and in none of them is corporatism considered to be moderate. Do you know of a third? Feel free to believe anything you wish, I’m the last person who will try to stop you. I suppose you can even make up silly straw man arguments and turn me into your own fictional boogie man if makes you feel better about being wrong and being unable to defend your crappy candidate and corrupt party.

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 11:12 PM

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I think you are underestimating how much authority Congress had in this regard…might as well blame Clinton for pushing the repeal of Glass Steagall..and while we are at it, we can blame the people who borrowed all that money.

Lots of blame to go around.

Terrye on September 10, 2012 at 11:19 PM

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 11:11 PM

No, don’t evade my question. Why weren’t you marching on DC over the sub prime lending that led to the housing crash? If Bush was out pushing for it, why weren’t you in DC telling him to stop?

dukecitygirl on September 10, 2012 at 11:21 PM

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Is this what you are sure you meant to say? Have you ever taken time to understand my position on this candidate or any other for that matter. It appears not. You defend where no defense I’d required. The tone and repetition of your originals comments suggested to me that you were in need of having me conform to your position. The rest you have made up from whole cloth. Your beliefs and mine may not align satisfactorily to your liking. Review what you wrote.

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I’d=is

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 11:23 PM

dukecitygirl on September 10, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Did not avoid it. I said because I did not know what was driving it. I then even explained what I learned at the end of the crisis. Reading for comprehension is required here.

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 11:29 PM

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Well you should have known. You have no business blaming every one else when you didn’t even understand what was going on. If you’re a voter, you should be informed.

Fact is, if the Tea Party formed in 2010 and marched on DC, Bush would have known what direction to take and perhaps vetoed some bills and spending because the People were on the march.

But we didn’t. So in reality, it’s the American people who are at fault for this mess, not just DC. And that means you and me too.

dukecitygirl on September 10, 2012 at 11:33 PM

I, like many, are using this election to test the GOP. Should Romney win, and even if he wins and doesn’t cut the size of government, that will be it for me. I will from then on go with a third party. I will no longer be fooled by the “lesser of two evils” argument.

Decoski on September 10, 2012 at 11:34 PM

should he lose rather

Decoski on September 10, 2012 at 11:36 PM

And I disagree with the idea that Bush is to blame here. I don’t think it’s the Republican brand, either…how to explain 2010, then? It really has everything to do with Obama, the fact that people still like him and seemingly want to give him more time because of that.

changer1701 on September 10, 2012 at 8:21 PM

That is a very good point.

Terrye on September 10, 2012 at 11:40 PM

dukecitygirl on September 10, 2012 at 11:33 PM

The size of our government is too immense now to know every detail. While I was interested in buying a house, it was not a driving force in my life, or I would have taken one of the many 120% home loans I was offered. It did not fit what I felt the value of a home was, so I left the market and reentered when I increased my savings to what I thought would be about 20% down.

On the other hand. BUSH DID KNOW. he had the bully pulpit. We elected him to defend the nation from enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC. I would imagine the crisis that happened fits the bill of an enemy to the nation. He should have told us in plain terms on TV what was going on. He was our representative and leader. He betrayed our trust in him. He carried the Republican Banner and the reputation of the conservative values of its voters. He led like a democrat and got democrat results! Nicest damn fellow you ever will meet and a great smile to boot. I liked him, until I was called a xenophobe by his pro amnesty hacks.

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 11:40 PM

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Sounds like you have a lot of excuses. Like someone else I could name.

dukecitygirl on September 10, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Sounds like you have a lot of excuses. Like someone else I could name.

dukecitygirl on September 10, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Feel free to fill me in on the exact and full legislative plan that romney will push from the beginning to the end of his first term in office. No excuses, we must be fully totally informed voters.

astonerii on September 10, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 11:22 PM

No, and you motivation is immaterial to the fact that you did imply that I was trying to make you conform. That is not true, it is a product of your own imagination. All I did was point out that Romney isn’t a moderate. I haven’t attacked you personally, I was merely expressing a dissenting opinion about politics. You are the one that is trying to make it personal by accusing me of making you conform to something, like I’m trying to use force. In fact I have no idea what you’re talking about. What exactly do you think I am trying to make you conform too? If you are not persuaded by my argument, feel free to disregard it. It’s your loss.

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 11:58 PM

I suspect that this is a coordinated media campaign to elect their idol, but that the horrible Democrat convention and the awful jobs numbers made them launch it a month early.

It will be interesting to see if they can actually maintain their momentum for the next eight weeks.

hachiban on September 11, 2012 at 12:12 AM

If there is someone who can do something to ENSURE that Obama is Re-Elected…..

And then that The NEXT Democrat is elected………

It’s Allahpundit…….

williamg on September 11, 2012 at 12:14 AM

FloatingRock on September 10, 2012 at 11:58 PM

My mistake I interpret you comments as cohursive. Consider your assertion disreguarded. I’ll try not to communicate to you any further. Please do the same in relation to me. I did not consider it personal. Just business.

Bmore on September 11, 2012 at 12:15 AM

you=your

Bmore on September 11, 2012 at 12:15 AM

My mistake I interpret you comments as cohursive.

Bmore on September 11, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Feel free to communicate with me all you want in the future but try to keep it real. I don’t have the means to force you to “conform” to anything, how could it even be done? You suspicions about me were unfounded. If you can avoid casting aspersions at me in the future I would be happy to have a reasonably civil conversation with you about politics.

FloatingRock on September 11, 2012 at 12:36 AM

These the kind of people you want in a foxhole? Yes is likely the answer.

AYNBLAND on September 10, 2012 at 10:49 PM

You are completely full of crap. Rush has plainly stated he wants Obama to lose, and done some in unequivocal language since BEFORE Obama even took office.

rayra on September 11, 2012 at 12:39 AM

The issue is that the VP candidate is better than the Pres. candidate on the R side (again). Even moreso this time, Ryan has lots of the positives of Palin without the negatives. He’s better at running for national office than Romney and gets a real kick out of it. It’s just fun to watch him campaign because he is just such a natural.

Next time, let’s actually nominate the rock star to the top to the ticket. Christie, Rubio, and Ryan are the only acceptable choices. Of course, since this is the Republican Party, they’ll pick someone like CHuckles for President.

Illinidiva on September 11, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Illinidiva on September 11, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Ryan putting off the payment for comfort today for the lifetime of those receiving said benefit makes him an unsavory person at best.

Christie is pretty much progressive in everything with the exception of attacking teacher’s unions.

Still looking for the conservative credentials of one Rubio. I am sure he just left them at home and will be willing to provide those post haste next time.

astonerii on September 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM

rayra on September 11, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Then he’d better get behind Gary Johnson and other had better follow suit.

FloatingRock on September 11, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I’m glad that someone is finally expressing the real damage that GWB and K. Rove did to the GOP. Millions of manufacturing, IT and call center jobs offshored and millions of illegals streaming in to take many of the jobs that were left. While these 2 transnational progressive bozo’s sat aloof and indifferent.

Darvin Dowdy on September 11, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Yes. We may be past the tipping point. A vast population of USA citizens now find what the Democrats have been building over the decades attractive — the Dependency Culture. And why not? 99 weeks compo looks pretty good. Free cell phone. Food stamps. Mortgage and rent assistance. Big bonuses applying for college financial aid to fund big dinners for greedy fat-cat academics. And now collectivized health “care” (if you can find a doctor in the coming years.) It’s even starting to look good to people with a work ethic. Why show up for work every day and be an upstanding citizen? You start to feel foolish. Mission accomplished, Democrats. Getting rid of Obama won’t end this campaign to neuter American prosperity.

curved space on September 11, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Democrats have posed questions in a manner in which they can not be answered directly. Republicans have taken the bait and in the process helped create another distraction.

Mr. Obama can’t talk about his record of accomplishments or the sagacious steps he has taken to address them. That’s because there either are none, or the one’s taken have had the opposite affect.

So they pose an ethereal scenario in saying the problems are historically “significant” and no person without superpowers could have fixed them. Not even a the most capable person ever born, Mr. Obama.

The truth is these problems did not start out as historically significant. Americans have seen this road before and the remedy is patently clear; spur economic activity by selectively lowering taxes ant other traditional steps which create jobs. Get your fiscal house in order to ensure capital is spent wisely and on activities which contribute to growth. Slowly decrease incentives for people to not work (e.g. unemployment).

What’s “significant”, unprecedented and frankly unfamiliar are the measures Mr. Obama has engaged in. He has historically increased the countries debt by over $5 trillion, engaged in historic bailouts which cost the country money and avoided traditional bankruptcy courts, created a new unaffordable entitlement when the ones we already have are becoming insolvent- for which he has produced no plan and stole over a half-trillion from Medicare to do it. He has never passed a budget. Never- how irresponsible is that.

Why then is anyone surprised or distracted from the fact that Mr. Obama has presided over negative job growth, unmanageable debt, increasingly insolvent entitlements, a budget crisis, shrinking military capabilities, the rapidly approaching tax increases and the destruction of our jobs base? Where is the “new tone” and the signature achievements showing Mr. Obama is engaged and capable of performing the job which we hired him for?

The answer is there are none and to quote Mr. Eastwood, “when somebody doesn’t do the job, you have to let him go.” It’s about time we started the real recovery by getting someone else to do the job. Past is prologue and we can’t take another four years of the same. Our country weeps for a new beginning.

Marcus Traianus on September 11, 2012 at 7:54 AM

If the GOP can’t beat Obama in this economy, shut down the party

I’m with Laura 100%. Shut it down and start over again. New politicians and new consultants. Fire the same old tired consultants who have lost us election after election and hire those with the best track records for defeating Alinsky tactics.

And she’s right about Mitt too. He needs to get tough with Øbama. Not next month, not next week, but NOW. If runs a McCain type campaign from here out, he’ll lose just like McCain lost.

With a record like Øbama’s, this election is all but handed to us on a silver platter. It is Romney’s to lose. And if he loses it, it’s time to flush this party and start over again.

petefrt on September 11, 2012 at 8:23 AM

shutting down me.

we can not blame our society . and the left. the things we know about barry BAMSTAHHHHHHHH !! YOU DA MAN BAMMY BABYY!!!!! LOVE YA BARRY OL BUDDY OL PALLL!!! TAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
eller on 2012

cableguy615 on September 11, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Isn’t that what you are really asking for. Conformity to your way of thinking?

Bmore on September 10, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Poor sot, must be married.

socalcon on September 11, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Purportedly intelligent folks can’t understand the difference between a primary and general election campaign.

Sad, really.

socalcon on September 11, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I agree with Ann completely. If Zero takes this election we will have two or three new Supreme’s and will in effect have a Ninth Circuit Supreme Court.
We will be effectively through. The rest will be local politics with no meaning as it concerns our voices in Washington.

FireBlogger on September 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM

November 7, the line for Republicans leaving the party to join Libertarians forms to the right…

burserker on September 11, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Romney is like a cautious football team trying to nurse a lead-the trouble is-he’s slightly behind!!!! Bold people like Patton are the historical winners-not meek shilly-shallyers. Romney could have made a bold move in selecting a minority VP but instead opted for “safety”. Akin in Missouri is still running closely behind Claire in Missouri despite being totally ostracized by the Romney camp. Sure Akin is an a-hole but he’s OUR a-hole–better ours than theirs-now, by denying Akin support,instead of possibly winning both the senate seat and the Show Me EVs-we will probably lose BOTH.His rather icy reception of Eastwood’s empty chair hilarity, shows Romney to be to be rather unperceptive and stiff-necked.He now also seems to be vacillating on certain aspects of Obamacare-possibly setting the stage for a Robertsian betrayal.If Romney continues down this cautious, stumbling, indecisive, faltering path in the upcoming debates, it’s curtains.

Laura is right in that if the Republicans lose-especially by being too “moderate” they are in serious trouble-but so is the entire country.Fifty years ago, a socialist economic failure like Obama would have lost all 50 (57) states if the opponent were Charlie Manson.But it’s a different country now.

MaiDee on September 11, 2012 at 10:35 AM

burserker on September 11, 2012 at 9:21 AM

There is a reason why libertarians are not called conservatives.

Socially liberal socieities are incapable of retaining the ability to be fiscally and security responsible societies. Those qualities grow from family and a sense of community, not gay relationships and everyone is just in it for themselves zones.

astonerii on September 11, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Laura doesn’t mince words. Her point was that Romney needs to take off the gloves. He doesn’t seem to realize that he’s dealing with Chicago thugs. He seems tepid all of sudden when it comes to criticizing Obama, like calling the jobs numbers last week “disappointing”. What?? Like Laura said, “it’s not disappointing, it’s a national tragedy”.

Prempting Obama, and going straight to Louisiana after the convention was a brilliant move. He needs to do more of that.

labrat on September 11, 2012 at 11:20 AM

and Romney is qualified,

whatever else you think of him

qualified means a lot of things. It is “whatever else you may think of him that directly impacts if he is qualified. It’s a whole package not just a resume. On paper mitt looks ok. He checked the boxes. So people say he is qualified yet looking at his record and what he did once he secured power reads of a list of unqualifications. from top to bottom. Raided fees and taxes, increased collection of “loopholes” put in place a individual manadte on insurance, was a terrible gov on jobs creation finishing at the bottom of the pack. then his policies while in orffice leaned left. which makes him suspect to those of use that are on the right. Then there is the whole private sector experience. Bain capital was a success but it also had its share of dirt which the dems have used during the campaign and many people are turned off by making money in that way. . And then there is his personality. Cardboard looks exciting and interesting next to Mitt. Add it all up and Mitt to my eye is totally unqualified for the office. the only thing Mitt has going for him is he isn’t Obama. Which may be enough to win. I doubt it. But it might be enough.

which explains why he can’t pull ahead of the wrose POTUS in my history and possibly the worst in the country’s history.

unseen on September 11, 2012 at 11:42 AM

astonerii on September 11, 2012 at 10:42 AM

freedom is chaos squared yet it is the best way to make a society. That includes freedom of religion, speech, association, etc. Morals and government make very bad partners. A moral and just society comes not from government imposing it but from the people requesting it in their society. If a society wants to be immoral or amoral it is soon to see the dustbin of history. And nothing the government does can change that infact the more the government tries to impose morals the more the society rebels and becomes amoral or immoral. give the churches more coverage, decrease the size of the federal government and return power to local governments and the society will right itself and people push the smut and evil from their towns and cities.

unseen on September 11, 2012 at 11:49 AM

unseen on September 11, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Bunch of lies. Would I be allowed to beat the hell out of some jerk who called my wife a whore in a public place? Would I be able to physically threaten and chase a theif from my community? Hell, we cannot even have public funerals for American heroes in peace because the libertarians argue that westburo has the right to infringe upon the peaceful gathering. When we became a society where the right no longer was able to flex their power to keep scum in check, the society you envision being possible became part of the dustbin of history.

So, if we cannot actually push them out of our community…

astonerii on September 11, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Romney has a hammer… He and his crew need to go all out beating it. Loudly and with passion… Bang that hammer, ring that bell… wake up the masses to Obama’s damaging policies.
Louder dammit!

RalphyBoy on September 11, 2012 at 1:47 PM

As I’ve said all along….Romney will get crushed by Obama. The HotAir RINO lovers will say he just wasn’t progressive enough, or it was Bush’s fault, or some other BS.

nottakingsides on September 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I am inclined to agree with Allahpundit. And for all of you that thinks this thing is a slam dunk for Romney, think again. I left the Republican party because it was too moderate. Look what you nominated. It is time for a true conservative third party – not wonks like Ron Paul or Moonbats like Johnson, but rather a vigirously conservative party that runs candidates that are manly enough to publicly state they are conservatives and have the creds to prove it. Romney doesn’t, and he walks like he has a broom stick up his back side. Republicans are going to loose and the country is going to hell.

georgeofthedesert on September 11, 2012 at 10:26 PM