Poll: What was the Obamateurism of the Week?

posted at 9:31 am on September 9, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Time once again to launch our platform to choose the Obamateurism of the Week! These sometimes get hard to follow, but it’s easier than fact-checking, apparently.  All it takes is a little free time, and you can earn the applause of all here.

Previous weekly “winners” in 2012:

Previous Obamateurisms of the Year:

• Giving 2 minutes of “shout-outs” before getting to the Fort Hood shooting (2009)
  • Obama leaves Clinton at press conference podium on tax deal to attend Christmas party (2010)
  • “I would put our legislative and foreign policy accomplishments in our first two years against any president— with the possible exceptions of Johnson, F.D.R., and Lincoln.” (2011)

Got an Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me at obamaisms@edmorrissey.com with the quote and the link to the Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Comments

They were against it before they were for it.

Philly on September 9, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Leading from behind…

JoeHanson on September 9, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Ok Ed, I voted.

Now grab some more decaf. or whatever, and get that Sunday gridiron thread posted.

Limerick on September 9, 2012 at 9:36 AM

This was the hardest one to vote for. They were all good!

chrisknits on September 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM

There’s so many.

JellyToast on September 9, 2012 at 9:38 AM

platform, too easy.

rob verdi on September 9, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Obama: Behind the curve on everything, a day late and a dollar short.

Liam on September 9, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Obama the amateur is apparently good enough for stupd Americans

Rasmussen Reports Obama 49, Romney 45 Obama +4
President Obama Job Approval Approve 52, Disapprove 47 Approve +5

Unbelievable, what have he done in the last week that a week ago his job approval was like -8 to a +5? Have an old horn dog with a W.C. Fields nose talked him up and the gullibles just swallow it.

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 9:40 AM

This is going to be a no brainer, but it shouldn’t be. Every one of these is worthy of a prominent place in history. Obama should go down in history as the least qualified president ever. He’ll leave office with no experience, just as he entered it. Worse president in our history. Democrats are going to have to dig deep to find someone to beat his record.

Oldnuke on September 9, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Want to sober up the electorate? Make Tax Day the same as Election Day.

Limerick on September 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM

The family excuse was my favorite this week. Obama can’t pick up the phone and speak with Republican congressmen and/or senators during the day because he needs to eat dinner with his family every evening.

As lame excuses go, this one is right up there with “the dog ate my homework.”

AZCoyote on September 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I doubt it will win. But the Ft. Bliss speech was the most disgusting example of political posturing I’ve ever seen in front of a military audience. Presidents just don’t do that. The only thing more disgusting was the press itself asserting, for him, that it wasn’t a campaign speech.

I have heard from friends at Ft. Bliss that ordering attendance when other soldiers CONUS wide were taking advantage of a DONSA for the Labor Day weekend was how they filled the auditorium.
The press would have eaten President Bush alive for that.

Lastly, over these years I have strived to show respect for the office by addressing the man as President Obama. Considering the disrespect he shows for the office himself, I no longer feel any such obligation.

hawkdriver on September 9, 2012 at 9:43 AM

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Instructed the DoJ to prosecute anyone who says different?

BobMbx on September 9, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I was going to go with Platform change but the Leading from behind (again) does it for me.

NY Conservative on September 9, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Barry had to have known what the platform stated before the convention began. Apparently, he had a political epiphany and reversed course on the ever-popular anti-God and anti-Israel platform stances. Let’s just say if he didn’t know, how lazy and incompetent is that?

What a pack of lying hypocrites.

Philly on September 9, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Want to sober up the electorate? Make Tax Day the same as Election Day.

Limerick on September 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM

That won’t work for the half who don’t know (or care) what Tax Day is (because they don’t pay income taxes).

AZCoyote on September 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Want to sober up the electorate? Make Tax Day the same as Election Day.

Limerick on September 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Even better, stop tax withholding so everyone has to write a check to the IRS every year.

Liam on September 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Tells CNN that he couldn’t improve bipartisanship because he had to spend time with his family

Try this sometime:
BHO:
“Sorry boss, but I can only work with those who agree with me and only when I am not on the golf course. My family needs me!”
Boss (WE the People):
“We all have family lives too. What makes you think you’re so special?”

Yessir, B. Hussein Obama is a legend in his own mind, as Clint would say.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on September 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM

hawkdriver on September 9, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I’ve been of the opinion for a while now that referring to Obama as President shows disrespect to the office.

Oldnuke on September 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM

God/Jerusalem, easy one this time.

BTW, According to the polls nobody cared about them booing God 3x.

PappyD61 on September 9, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Obama the amateur is apparently good enough for stupd Americans

Rasmussen Reports Obama 49, Romney 45 Obama +4
President Obama Job Approval Approve 52, Disapprove 47 Approve +5

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 9:40 AM

THIS.

Mitt/jugular/Obama/NOW.

PappyD61 on September 9, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Had to go with God and Jerusalem

Shameful

cmsinaz on September 9, 2012 at 9:56 AM

“Hey, I hear you.”

Hilarious !!!

ExpressoBold on September 9, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Again, we are stuck discriminating between true amateurism and ideological failures.

Count to 10 on September 9, 2012 at 9:57 AM

In November, we need to give poor Barry more time to spend with his family.

AZCoyote on September 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Count to 10 on September 9, 2012 at 9:57 AM

With him it’s hard to tell the difference. Everything he does is motivated by either idealism or narcissism and it’s always done in an amateurish way.

Oldnuke on September 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Ed, did you consider using this version? I did at my little place in the forest. ; )

Bmore on September 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM

This was one of the hardest ootd I’ve ever voted on.
Platform won out.

maynila on September 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM

The platform debacle was a group effort, so I went with President Family man using his children as human shields against criticism of his do nothing work ethic. Seriously, if he was getting paid by the hour we’d be saving money.

CitizenEgg on September 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Wile B. Obama, economic super genius, needs to spend more time with his family.

jukin3 on September 9, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Godlessness.

Bmore on September 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM

The degenerate Punk in Chief is a mental midget, who thinks he’s funny.

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – Mocking his opponents’ economic agenda, President Obama says Republicans are pushing tax cuts as the prescription to cure the ailing economy, “help you lose a few extra pounds,” and even “help your love life.”

The president unveiled the new quip Friday, but today he got a unique response as he kicked off his two-day campaign tour through Florida.

“It doesn’t help!” shouted a man of his lacking love life.

Obama, seemingly caught off guard by the joke, laughed in response. “You tried those tax cuts, huh?” he asked.

“Actually it does help when you give it to folks who need it,” the president continued, never missing an opportunity to push his economic proposals. “But I don’t believe, and you don’t believe, that another round of tax breaks for millionaires is going to bring good jobs back to our shores, or pay down our deficit.”

Schadenfreude on September 9, 2012 at 10:12 AM

From this oaf, the question s/b what was the hoax of the moment?

The land is being charlataned every second.

Schadenfreude on September 9, 2012 at 10:13 AM

hawkdriver on September 9, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Oldnuke on September 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Oldnuke wins.

He is the Degenerate Punk, hoaxing the land, pretending to be president. She deserves him fully, so long as she allows the hoax to cotinue. May all who brung him suffer eternally.

Schadenfreude on September 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM

continue

Schadenfreude on September 9, 2012 at 10:16 AM

…I was going to go with the platform skittle, that nobody reads or is aware of…but! I voted for the trolls who ALWAYS come to this thread…and like the one where JugEars always takes his family to church or golfing…and can’t find time to be bi-partisan!

KOOLAID2 on September 9, 2012 at 10:18 AM

CitizenEgg on September 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Aint THAT the truth!
Pretty cushy gig and digs for the P-in-C. The perks are great!
*sigh*
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on September 9, 2012 at 10:21 AM

PappyD61 on September 9, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I’ll let you in on a secret. The right has been worried about a Stlinesque cult of personality with the modern left. An expert discovered about two months ago that was all wrong.

The media doesn’t have to do an endless chain of distortions and gross stunts to keep their guys in power.

Ya’ll remember that old song “Personality” by Lloyd Price?

When they saw white guilt running thin, the media just made the administration a reality show with people we love popping up ever day. And there is nostalgia. We now love Bill Clinton!

I did post that Governor Romney had to become more lovable a while back. And the Repub Noms have sure tried but the ticket and their wives can’t do it as well as the media.

Personality! We can all sing!

IlikedAUH2O on September 9, 2012 at 10:29 AM

bouncy good morning everyone! so who’s everyone’s favorite for 2016?

sesquipedalian on September 9, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I voted on the convention vote which was a travesty.

A little less obvious was Bill Clinton, who was a RACIST four years ago, being greeted by the entire nation as a hero and wonderful president.

Wow. All you have to do is leave the next administration with a tech bubble, a real estate bubble and an international terrorist problem with growing abilities for destruction.

IlikedAUH2O on September 9, 2012 at 10:36 AM

“I can tell you this — the president of the United States said, ‘Wow.’” ~ Mayor Villaraigosa

Fallon on September 9, 2012 at 10:37 AM

bouncy good morning everyone! so who’s everyone’s favorite for 2016?

sesquipedalian on September 9, 2012 at 10:29 AM

It’ll be a two term proposition for Romney and Ryan. Thanks for asking.

CitizenEgg on September 9, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Prezzy Empty Chair tried to take GOD and the state of Israel out of the demonrat platform but when the outrage from outside became too much to bear politically, he had to have the sham vote. Too bad we didn’t know this would work as well as it did, we could have tried to kill a lot more of the evil programs he’s passed.

Kissmygrits on September 9, 2012 at 10:40 AM

KOOLAID2 on September 9, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Golf is his religion.

Schadenfreude on September 9, 2012 at 10:42 AM

bouncy good morning everyone! so who’s everyone’s favorite for 2016?

sesquipedalian on September 9, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Second term for R&R if Romney keeps his latest words.

Fallon on September 9, 2012 at 10:43 AM

How is it that Clinton, who left us open to a 9-11 attack, lied about not having sex with that woman and proved to be a serial womanizer, has an approval rating of 70% and is beloved by the American people? Stop shaking that bony finger in my face!

Kissmygrits on September 9, 2012 at 10:44 AM

bouncy good morning everyone! so who’s everyone’s favorite for 2016?

sesquipedalian on September 9, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Glad to see the left has finally given up on hopey change, thanks for that.

D-fusit on September 9, 2012 at 10:44 AM

As lame excuses go, this one is right up there with “the dog ate my homework.”

AZCoyote on September 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM

That one cracks me up, too. What? Are Jarrett and Axelrod part of the “family circle”?

Obysmal’s team obviously poll-tested the “family” meme and decided to go with it.

onlineanalyst on September 9, 2012 at 10:48 AM

As lame excuses go, this one is right up there with “the dog ate my homework.”

AZCoyote on September 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM

As a friend said elsewhere, “Does his family live on the golf course?”

ladyingray on September 9, 2012 at 10:51 AM

bouncy good morning everyone! so who’s everyone’s favorite for 2016?

sesquipedalian on September 9, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Romney re-election in a landslide. Will you still be whipping that obambi turd in 2016 or will some new communist be your choice?

VegasRick on September 9, 2012 at 10:52 AM

He could have played less golf and been with the family.

Cindy Munford on September 9, 2012 at 10:53 AM

It will be interesting to see what kind of albatross around the neck of the Dem party Obama chooses to be. He’ll have ‘one more term’ in him and the most Presidential experience in the small stagnant pond that comprises the left’s talent pool.

Of course he may just give up politics and take over OJ’s search for the real killer on every golf course in the world.

CitizenEgg on September 9, 2012 at 10:55 AM

The American Family comes after Obama’s family.

Ama- tour.

profitsbeard on September 9, 2012 at 11:01 AM

If he wants to spend more time with his family then I have a suggestion for him….

NOMOBO on September 9, 2012 at 11:11 AM

This one was another tough decision. I decided that going with a decision that led to the democrats denying God three times was most worthy of selection as it helps define not only who Obama is, but who the democrat party has become.

AZfederalist on September 9, 2012 at 11:13 AM

“I hear you.” Yes, it’s losing now but this is the Obamateurism for his entire term. He DOESN’T hear or listen AT ALL.

kmid219 on September 9, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Had to go with the platform vote… too many tentacles slipping around the mask and the inanity of using authoritarian tactics on his own party shows just what the party has become. When some tentacles have to push others back as being too obvious, and not see how obvious those ones are, well… a faux pas just doesn’t cover it.

ajacksonian on September 9, 2012 at 11:34 AM

bouncy good morning everyone! so who’s everyone’s favorite for 2016?

sesquipedalian on September 9, 2012 at 10:29 AM

The Republican incumbent. Do you have any, “hard” questions?

hawkdriver on September 9, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I think you missed the contrast between Bubba’s & Oblamer’s speeches at the DNC convention.

Clinton: “I was the GREATEST President EVAH! Oblamer, not so much.”

Oblamer: “Bill Clinton was the GREATEST President EVAH! Me, not so much.”

Concerned_American on September 9, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Obama’s entire acceptance speech was the unmistakable amateurism of the week!

MJBrutus on September 9, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Romney says he likes parts of ‘Obamacare’

WASHINGTON — Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney, who promised early in his campaign to repeal President Barack Obama’s health care overhaul, says he would keep several important parts of the overhaul.

“Of course there are a number of things that I like in health care reform that I’m going to put in place,” he said in an interview broadcast Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” ”One is to make sure that those with pre-existing conditions can get coverage.”

Romney also said he would allow young adults to keep their coverage under their parents’ health-insurance.

Those provisions have been two of the more popular parts of Obama’s Affordable Care Act.

“I say we’re going to replace Obamacare. And I’m replacing it with my own plan,” Romney said. “And even in Massachusetts when I was governor, our plan there deals with pre-existing conditions and with young people.”

In the interview, Romney, a former Massachusetts governor, also said he would offset his proposed tax cuts by closing loopholes for high income taxpayers.

“We’re not going to have high-income people pay less of the tax burden than they pay today. That’s not what’s going to happen,” he said.

When pressed, however, Romney declined to provide an example of a loophole he would close.

“I can tell you that people at the high end, high-income taxpayers, are going to have fewer deductions and exemptions. Those numbers are going to come down. Otherwise they’d get a tax break. And I want to make sure people understand, despite what the Democrats said at their convention, I am not reducing taxes on high-income taxpayers,” Romney said.

PappyD61 on September 9, 2012 at 11:53 AM

According to excerpts, Romney also offers praise for former President Bill Clinton and suggests Clinton could get elected if he were not barred by the Constitution from serving a third term.

“You know, if the Constitution weren’t in his way, perhaps. But I don’t know the answer to that. But he did stand out in contrast with the other speakers,” he says, referring to Clinton’s blockbuster speech this week at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, N.C.

Romney says Clinton managed to “elevate” the convention.

More praise for the Democrats.

Thank you Governor MittCain.

DejafrickingVu it’s 2008 all over again.

PappyD61 on September 9, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Not fair – there were three that should have one.

I hear you
The family
God.

Had to go with the God one – you know after all it’s God.

gophergirl on September 9, 2012 at 11:59 AM

What happened? Hell frozen over?

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 12:09 PM

The platform he was for before he was for it or didn’t read it or something.

For obamateurism consideration this week:
Obama pokes fun at birthers by asking seven-year-old from Hawaii for his birth certificate (but Romney’s not allowed to mention it)

Brat on September 9, 2012 at 12:12 PM

PappyD61 on September 9, 2012 at 11:57 AM

You’ve entirely outdone yourself in terms of idiotic hand wringing. Mitt is following an excellent strategy in praising Clinton.

1. He is establishing himself among the public as a reasonable, non-partisan candidate who agrees with the impression that most of the country and damned near all the independents have.

2. He is drawing a marked contrast in pointing out that Obama is no BJ Clinton.

3. He is subtly separating himself from Bush and the right wing loonies like yourself who leave all they come in contact with running away and screaming in horror.

Now I know that all of this is wasted on unthinking wingnuts like you, but I suspect that many other readers will appreciate what Mitt is up to and why it is a brilliant way to win this election.

MJBrutus on September 9, 2012 at 12:44 PM

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I read that one this AM. When MoDo jumps on PBHO’s case in such a big way like that, she isn’t just pretending to be neutral to salvage her cred. She clearly has lost all respect for her “President Spock.” Losing such a reliably, shamelessly, biased hack like that has got to hurt the One right where it hurts.

MJBrutus on September 9, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I couldn’t resist the family/bipartisan choice..OIVEY

CoffeeLover on September 9, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Want to sober up the electorate? Make Tax Day the same as Election Day.

Limerick on September 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Liam on September 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM

One of the dirtiest government tricks ever was making one’s employer their deputized tax collector. Taxes should never come out before someone is paid. It helps them to not feel the pain of paying it so much, which is exactly what the government wanted. Let them get used to just not getting that money before we take it from them.

No, instead, give everyone their full pay, and make them figure out and submit their appropriate payments every quarter. Anyone with a home-based business, self-employed contractor, etc. must do that anyway. If every single person had to send in their tax payments, instead of thinking of a refund as a “gift” from Uncle Sam, they would realize it’s their own money that they were overtaxed during the year. A great many capitalists and conservatives would be created instantly if this were to occur.

Freelancer on September 9, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Godless.

John the Libertarian on September 9, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Want to sober up the electorate? Make Tax Day the same as Election Day.

Limerick on September 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Disagree. Make taxes due the Monday before the Tuesday vote. Otherwise they might vote, then pay their taxes.

GWB on September 9, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Freelancer on September 9, 2012 at 1:08 PM

And, new bank accounts and financial products, as people would want to set aside their money in ways financially advantageous to themselves.

GWB on September 9, 2012 at 3:04 PM

hawkdriver on September 9, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Over these years, I have strived to show respect for the office by never once puttting those two words, President and Obama, in exact sequence in a sentence, one time since he was elected. When pressed, I can say, “Present Obama”, in recognition of his particular voting record and more of operation.

Perhaps it is living in the greater Chicago region, and thus being aware of who he was, and paying attention to his background and what he said during the runup to the 2008 election, that made me loathe to speak thusly. Still, the last two Democrats who occupied that office have done it great shame and harm. They should be out of the Oval Office for the forseeable future, if for no other reason.

IrishEyes on September 9, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I went with the fact check. The others were more serious stabs than just an “ism”.

Dear leader could spend more time with his family if he didn’t have to pray 5 times a day (or whatever it takes).

If a person can’t run a convention, why do so many think he can run a country?

ru2sel on September 9, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Hilarious Hillaryous!!!

ExpressoBold on September 9, 2012 at 9:56 AM

FIFY

Hammie on September 9, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Easy one.

It was the story of the week!

(um…..everywhere but what we used to call the MSM, of course)

Tim_CA on September 9, 2012 at 5:43 PM

God and Israel got Fluked by Obama and his freaks!

Marco on September 9, 2012 at 7:21 PM

President Obama CNN gaffe confirms he will use anyone else except himself to win quick points in the polls. It also highlights the fact that he does not understand what bipartisanship is or how to use it. Also, he is not ashamed of using his family as an excuse to hide his incompetence in understanding and useing bipartisanship instead of brinkmanship.

MSGTAS on September 10, 2012 at 8:46 AM