Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on September 8, 2012 by Allahpundit

The Obama era in American politics began almost exactly eight years ago in Boston, when a youthful Senate candidate’s soaring speech to the Democratic National Convention stole the show from the actual Democratic nominee.

It ended, to all intents and purposes, last Thursday night in Charlotte, when a weary-seeming incumbent delivered perhaps the fourth-best major address at his own convention — a plodding, hectoring speech that tacitly acknowledged that this White House is out of ideas, out of options and no longer the master of its fate…

[W]e are not in the late 1990s anymore. There is nothing remotely “normal” about the unemployment rate we’re enduring, or the long-term deficits we face, or the fact that the American birthrate has dropped below replacement level over the last five years. Or alternatively, if this is the new normal, then it’s a normalcy that both citizens and politicians should aspire to swiftly leave behind…

But whatever happens in November, the president’s own words have given us fair warning: We face a continuing crisis, and the liberalism of Barack Obama is no longer equal to the task.

***

Four years later the shooting liberal star, as we called him then, has come down to earth. What should have been a buoyant recovery coming out of a deep recession was lackluster to start and has grown weaker. The partisanship he claimed to want to dampen has become more fierce. The middle-class incomes he sought to lift have fallen. These results aren’t bad luck or the lingering effects of a crash four years ago. They flow directly from his “transforming” purposes.

To our mind, two events amid hundreds stand out as defining President Obama’s first term. The first is his go-for-broke pursuit of progressive social legislation instead of focusing on economic recovery. The second is his refusal to strike a budget deal with Speaker John Boehner in 2011. Both reveal a President more bent on transforming America than addressing the needs of our time…

So now Mr. Obama is seeking a second term by asking the voters to give him more time to finish the job he started. But what job is that?

***

[I]f there is a unifying idea behind this basket of aspirations, I missed it. I hear all the time, but don’t really know for sure, that the mythical undecided voters that both campaigns chase are not particularly ideological — if they were, they would have already decided between the candidates — and that they clamor for these sorts of statements that include specific and quantifiable goals.

But the list leaves a lot to wonder about. Does Obama have a new plan for addressing climate change? Beats me. (He did say, “And yes, my plan will continue to reduce the carbon pollution that is heating our planet because climate change is not a hoax.” But he didn’t actually offer a real proposal to do anything to stop climate change—nothing like a carbon tax or cap and trade. In fact, he talked about increasing oil production and other sources of carbon pollution.) Will he pursue comprehensive immigration reform in the next session of Congress? He didn’t say. When he faces the fiscal cliff, which would be the first and possibly the most consequential issue of his potential second term, how will he reform Medicare and restructure the tax code? Again, the details were absent last night.

***

The situation facing Romney is hard for some Republicans to comprehend. They didn’t buy Obama’s bill of goods in the first place and find it hard to sympathize with anyone who did. But there are millions of people who voted for Obama who are not only disappointed in him but have come to the conclusion that he does not deserve to be re-elected. The problem for Romney is they might still be persuaded to vote for the president. Making them comfortable with the idea of leaving Obama is Romney’s job.

Romney campaign advisers are very familiar with the type. They do polling, they do focus groups and they see the phenomenon everywhere. Says campaign pollster Neil Newhouse: “These voters are my mother-in-law. She’s a soft Republican and voted with pride for Barack Obama in terms of what it meant for the country. And now, every time she talks to me, she’s more than disappointed. She’s frustrated. She’s upset. She thought she was voting for a transformational leader and feels like we got just another politician.” You can bet Newhouse and the Romney campaign are not basing their strategy on one mother-in-law. They’re undoubtedly seeing the same thing all the time in their research.

The important thing for Romney, aides believe, is not to rub the voters’ noses in their decision from four years ago. Don’t bash Obama, don’t even harp on how he’s not up to the job — that carries the implication that they should have known that when they voted for him. Just focus on the point that his policies have not made things better. “You’ve got to be careful in terms of how you talk about the president,” says a top Romney campaign aide. “It’s his policies and performance voters are concerned about — that’s the focus.”

***

“So you see, the election four years ago wasn’t about me,” President Obama explained. “It was about you. My fellow citizens, you were the change.”

We were the change!

We were the change? Us?…

It’s depressing to look back and remember what soaring hopes we had for ourselves only four years ago. Did we overdo it with the Greek columns? Sheesh, a million people showed up for our inauguration. Now we brag when we break 10,000.

What a drag to realize that Hillary was right: big rallies and pretty words don’t always get you where you want to go. Who knew that Eric Cantor wouldn’t instantly swoon at the sound of our voice or the sight of our smile?…

He gave it to us straight: It’s not me, it’s you.

***

Last night the president used rhetorical flourishes to say that his election was never about him, but “you.” As in, EVERYONE. So when Obama said that “you” are the reason people have a better future ahead of them, Stewart suspected that the president was trying to push all the responsibility on the people so then he could blame them for “the shitty stuff that hasn’t been done.”

Stewart concluded by remarking that the American people need to be grounded, and “maybe the only person who could have done it was the one who put all that air under our feet in the first place.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 7 8 9 10

Gloria

jaime on September 9, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Doh. Midnight. Night everyone!

*poof*

Axe on September 9, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Fall is pretty short, and not to many trees to turn, except the ones in my yard.

uncommon sense on September 9, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Lol!

Bmore on September 9, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Good Night Axe, Sleep Well.

Bmore on September 9, 2012 at 1:03 AM

WINTER… Good grief woman, I still have 4 more months of summer to look forward to… :O

SWalker on September 9, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Yeah, but you are in SoCal. Your four seasons are Sun, Wind, Fire and Mud. :-)

AZfederalist on September 9, 2012 at 1:03 AM

jaime on September 9, 2012 at 12:59 AM

It feels a lot like a lost dog that wants find its way home, but the house burned down and the family moved away, so the dog can’t go home because the place the dog loved doesn’t exist anymore.

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Axe on September 9, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Goodnight, Axe. Sleep well. See you soon.

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Good night Axe!

Dark Star on September 9, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Bring pie!

Axe on September 9, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I promise. Lol!

Bmore on September 9, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Here is the gumbyandpokey, Dbear official Team O re-election van.

uncommon sense on September 9, 2012 at 1:05 AM

the hunt for Bin Laden?

DBear on September 9, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Since Sunday’s stunning events in Pakistan, Obama and his aides have credited Bush with setting the country on bin Laden’s path. But the current administration has long made it clear it didn’t approve of Bush’s approach, saying it has battled global terrorism in a smarter, more law-abiding and ultimately more successful way.

“I think the credit for the focus and the fight … is shared by both administrations,” White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters Tuesday.

Yeah, I guess blowing an unarmed man’s face off is a smarter, more law-abiding way.

But it was successful. And that’s the ONLY credit your boy king will get from me.

Flora Duh on September 9, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Night Axe

uncommon sense on September 9, 2012 at 1:05 AM

St. James Infirmary Blues

jaime on September 9, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Paul Ryan is spending the weekend in Oregon doing debate preps.

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Oregon huh? Does that do us any good? Oh and thanks. ; )

Bmore on September 9, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Axe on September 9, 2012 at 1:02 AM

‘Nite Axe

jaime on September 9, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Got To Be Some Changes

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Ok all, I’m out! have fun with the trolls :)

uncommon sense on September 9, 2012 at 1:07 AM

oh and the Stock Market seems to be doing pretty well, ay?

DBear on September 9, 2012 at 12:47 AM

It was doing better under GWB.

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 1:07 AM

I tried to post this all on HA, but it didn’t get through. The true story about Glass-Steagall, Clinton, Rubin, Summers, and Greenspan…

The Three Un-Wise Men

G’nite

Resist We Much on September 9, 2012 at 1:08 AM

uncommon sense on September 9, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Goodnight, Uncommon sense! Sleep well.

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2012 at 1:08 AM

the place the dog loved doesn’t exist anymore.

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2012 at 1:03 AM

That’s the truth. A very sad truth.

I’m sorry for all of you who have seen your communities become unlivable.

jaime on September 9, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I lived in Southern California for years. I only left because I couldn’t stand to watch what was becoming of it. I had a place on the beach, one in the mountains, then sold up and lived in the desert for awhile, trying to get away from what was becoming of the place I loved, but it followed me. No where left to go but away.:(

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2012 at 12:57 AM

I hear ya, the problem is, every time ya run away, the place you run away from gets worse and larger and like cancer spreads. I moved out of the city and into the countryside, such as it is.

But I’m dead center of the heart of Conservative San Diego County. I moved out of the city, not to escape what it was becoming, but because I just couldn’t stand being crowded any more.

I was born in Washington State (Yakima) and raised as a kid (until 10) just outside of Seattle, out in the boonies, serious rural farmland. As a teenager and up until my 40′s living in the city didn’t bother me. You know what they say about taking the country boy out of the countryside.

SWalker on September 9, 2012 at 1:08 AM

uncommon sense on September 9, 2012 at 1:07 AM

‘Nite uncommon sense

jaime on September 9, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I see gumby and dbear ran away. Cowards.

wargamer6 on September 9, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Good Night uncommon sense, Sleep Well.

Bmore on September 9, 2012 at 1:11 AM

SWalker on September 9, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Yeah, but you are in SoCal. Your four seasons are Sun, Wind, Fire and Mud. :-)

AZfederalist on September 9, 2012 at 1:03 AM

\

;P

SWalker on September 9, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Paul Ryan is spending the weekend in Oregon doing debate preps.

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 12:28 AM

So Oregon’s a battleground state now? Hmmm?

bgibbs1000 on September 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM

‘Nite, All

Football tomorrow. I have to watch at least one game.

jaime on September 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 12:28 AM

So Oregon’s a battleground state now? Hmmm?

bgibbs1000 on September 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Who cares where he does prep at.

wargamer6 on September 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM

So Oregon’s a battleground state now? Hmmm?

bgibbs1000 on September 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM

More than you know dumb$hit…

SWalker on September 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM

It’s a cowardly ideology they prescribe to. It takes no stones. As my friend Schadenfreude would say.” May they all spontaneously combust.” I just love that line. Lol!

Bmore on September 9, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Paul Ryan is spending the weekend in Oregon doing debate preps.

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Oregon huh? Does that do us any good? Oh and thanks. ; )

Bmore on September 9, 2012 at 1:06 AM

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Good Night jaime, Sleep Well.

Bmore on September 9, 2012 at 1:14 AM

What? Am I Here To Amuse You?

I almost got you. You might fold under questioning.

jaime on September 9, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Thanks Jaime! I’d never fold under questioning!

Stray Cat on September 9, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Is that suppose to read holes up?

Bmore on September 9, 2012 at 1:16 AM

So Oregon’s a battleground state now? Hmmm?

bgibbs1000 on September 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Like I said before: you are a nice guy, but you are an imbecile.

But just focus on the part about “you are a nice guy”

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Just stopped in to see why the comment count was 700+.

And we have GumMeandPokeMe, DoucheHair and I guess other usual suspects acting out their parental neglect issues.

I’ve long suggested NOT engaging the trolls, mobys and loons was the best method of frustrating their perverse need for attention.

If you are not going to take that advice and feel you must engage the spoiled children

Why not push them onto turf they CANNOT defend:

1) The SCOAMF is the lap dog of Wall Street. Jon Corzine et al STOLE client money. It is documented in the MCH and other electronic money transfer systems. We will hit the one year anniversary of that crime before the election and the U.S. Attorneys claim they CAN’T get enough evidence for a SINGLE indictment.
Point out that under BOOOOOSH the Enron criminals and many others were perp walked and convicted. The SCoAMF has done NOTHING in 4 years.

2) A former Wall Street type has an excellent column out today on Work Force Particiaption from the Friday jobs report that shows the American work force composition is coming apart at the seams in the last four years. The SCOAMF’s delusions of more taxes is shown to be an IMPOSSIBLE LIE because the next TWO generations in the work force will NEVER be able to achieve what the 55+ workes have.

3) Seriously though, you are arguing with the least intelligent people on the internet – they do not deserve your time and attention.

PolAgnostic on September 9, 2012 at 1:17 AM

did you factor in losing 80+% of the non-white vote? your last comment shows why that is btw people can see through your racist party

DBear on September 9, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Obama’s not losing 80+% of the black vote yet. He’s getting there though. He was getting 96% of the black vote in 2008. In recent polls, he’s losing 20-35% of the black vote. In Michigan, he’s losing over 40% of the black vote and there was a 25 point swing toward Romney with women’s vote. I find all this hard to believe considering what we’ve seen in 2008. However, all polls are trending the same way. Away from Obama.

MrX on September 9, 2012 at 1:18 AM

bgibbs1000 on September 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM

You really do enjoy looking like a fool, don’t you?

Paul Ryan Hangs Out With Supporters – September 8

Paul Ryan Campaign Rally in Sparks, Nevada – September 7

Flora Duh on September 9, 2012 at 1:19 AM

I see holes up is an expression. I must confess to not being familiar with that one.

Bmore on September 9, 2012 at 1:19 AM

As The Years Go Passing By

I bid you all a fond goodnight. It was a pleasure, as always. See you soon.

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2012 at 1:20 AM

I was born in Washington State (Yakima)

SWalker on September 9, 2012 at 1:08 AM

For Toppenish, Yakima was the big city. Miller and Lions pools.

VorDaj on September 9, 2012 at 1:20 AM

I bid you all a fond goodnight. It was a pleasure, as always. See you soon.

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Goodnight Jack… :)

SWalker on September 9, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Bmore on September 9, 2012 at 1:19 AM

That is an expression BJ blurts out whenever he sees a group of women coming towards him.

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Good Night Jackie, Pleasant Dreams.

Bmore on September 9, 2012 at 1:27 AM

The idea that some liberal hack would come on here and accuse Paul Ryan of being a pathological liar is absolutely ludicrous. Odumbo has easily been the most dishonest president we’ve ever had. His whole life is a lie.

Which leads in nicely to this idea of “narratives”. The biggest narrative is that Odumbo is/was this overachiever–a brilliant Constitutional scholar, etc., when in fact he was a Question Mark backed by the right socialists and statists. He’s an affirmative action hire, who’s turned out to be wholly incompetent and clueless in the position he was given.

I feel kinda sorry for the black folks, that this man was the first black president. I’d be embarrassed–not proud.

RedCrow on September 9, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Good night Jackie! Sweet dreams!

Dark Star on September 9, 2012 at 1:29 AM

PolAgnostic on September 9, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Yeah, we know. But it seems to be the best the dems can come up with. Better than arguing with ourselves and face it, this is the low-intelligence kinds of arguments we are likely to encounter in meat-world encounters with dims, so it doesn’t hurt to beat these up a bit to sharpen our claws a little. Yeah, they are puny trolls, but it’s the best we got.

AZfederalist on September 9, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Good night Jaimie and Jackie.

AZfederalist on September 9, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Yeah, they are puny trolls, but it’s the best we got.

AZfederalist on September 9, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Lol. If we could get a secret pact signed that NO ONE responds to a single comment, even, “How’s it goin’ guys?”–that would be the best situation. (Heads exploding, right and left, and then they’d leave.)

But, you know it’s not possible. Also, something tells me a few of them would continue to “spam” the threads with continuous lies.

RedCrow on September 9, 2012 at 1:33 AM

RedCrow on September 9, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Sure, where were you 45 minutes ago when the a s s hats were on the thread? Lol!

Bmore on September 9, 2012 at 1:36 AM

I confess the article in Politico is a worrisome to me, partly because of the eeyore in me.

Joe Trippi said on Friday on FoxNews that from the data he had, Ohio is out of reach for Romney. ( I know when he said it, it was over 60 days from the election. I don’t know how he can be so cocksure about it) He cited the following reasons: 1 out of 7 jobs in Ohio is related to the auto industry. 2 For some reason, the blue collar voters in Ohio cannot connect themselves to Romney.

Paul-Cincy, a poster who apparently lives in Cincy, also expressed in his post a week or so back that Ohio does not look good.

A number of comment disputed that picture in Ohio. I am glad that Jay Cost also tweeted his disagreement with the Politico article. Ohio is crucial for a Romney win.

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 1:36 AM

RedCrow on September 9, 2012 at 1:33 AM

I think that would be the outcome. Your solution would be a good way to cull the herd though; it might get rid of some of the more puny ones if they were just ignored. Maybe we try it with one and see how it goes. We should hold our own poll and select the slowest and weakest one to ignore.

AZfederalist on September 9, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Bmore on September 9, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Lol. I think I mighta spent an hour or so lurking.
Read pages 6 though present before commenting.

Been sleeping like crap lately. Got up at 4am yesterday (after going to bed at 11pm), and actually went to bed at 10pm tonight (last night). Then woke up just before 1am!!

My remedy was to read here…with a few libations. (Should start yawning in the next hour or so.) The great thing is that we’ve had a break in the weather here, too. Around 60F right now. God, I love fall sleeping weather!

RedCrow on September 9, 2012 at 1:40 AM

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 1:36 AM

The latest public poll from Ohio last week shows Romney 47% and Obama 44%…

Here is some math for you:

In Ohio if 7% of Obama “White Voters” who voted for him in 2008 switch and vote for Romney in 2012 combined with 3% of his voters from 2008 staying home in 2012 then Romney would win Ohio.

I have made an election prediction program and it is based on the two most important parameters. The percentage “White Voters” who voted for Obama in 2008 who would switch for Romney in 2012… and the percentage of Obama voters in 2008 who would stay home in 2012… The program predicts the vote for all the battleground states…

If you wish to have this elections prediction program that I made you can e-mail me at mnjg123@yahoo.com and I will e-mail it to you.

mnjg on September 9, 2012 at 1:44 AM

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Well, I’ve been continually wringing my hands since primary season. All those who say that this is “the most important election in our lifetimes” (myself included) are understating the matter. We are talking about the survival of the greatest nation in world history. (And, my inner-pessimist thinks of the fall of the Romans, who were none too shabby.)

But, I think things have been rough in “Oiho”. I’m from Detroit, and I imagine they’re in similar doldrums. I’ll not put too much stock in polls–about the only one I trust at all is Rasmussen, and I don’t “live or die” with his pronouncements, either.

Bottom line–We’ll see. I’ve always hung-up on poll calls. As Clint said, I don’t have the need to be out there hot-doggin’ it.

RedCrow on September 9, 2012 at 1:48 AM

RedCrow on September 9, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Sleep is over rated until you need it. Speaking of which…………….

Good Night All.

Bmore on September 9, 2012 at 1:48 AM

OT/ there are 9/11 shows on tonight..
Dish channels- 183 TLC & tomorrow 186 ntgeo all day…
STILL awful after 11 years….

God Bless them all…

kennedyk49 on September 9, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Good Night All.

Bmore on September 9, 2012 at 1:48 AM

See ya, B.

RedCrow on September 9, 2012 at 1:51 AM

mnjg on September 9, 2012 at 1:44 AM

I like the cut of your jib, mnjg

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 1:36 AM

I understand your POV, bayview — but Joe Trippi? Come on, the guy is 100% swimming in the Obama kool aid. Don’t get me wrong — I think he’s a nice guy & sometimes he even has the decency to look embarrassed when he’s spouting some of the really outrageous Obama talking points — but he headed the Howard Dean 2004 election campaign. The guy is *not* a reliable source.

I’m not saying Ohio — or any state or the election — is in the bag for Romney — there is a lot of work we need to do, whether it is getting out & knocking on doors, donating, phone banking, etc to get the truth out to fight the MSM — but right now what is going on is nothing more than psych-ops from Team Obama to try to do exactly this — depress turnout on the right with the idea that an Obama win is “inevitable.” It’s been Obama’s plan all along since the pundit were saying he was a “lock” to win re-election back in January — rev up his base of true-believing loons & depress turnout on the right. For the love of all that is good & holy, the new meme out today is that Obama delivered that dud of a nomination speech because he is “so far ahead he wanted to play it safe.” If you believe that, I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

Don’t fall for the psych-ops — it truly is the *only* way Obama can win because the only — and I mean the ONLY — poll that counts is the one on election day.

Dark Star on September 9, 2012 at 1:53 AM

God Bless them all…

kennedyk49 on September 9, 2012 at 1:51 AM

I don’t know you, friend, but you need not put an OT label on a comment on a QOTD thread at this time of night. (Most comments are OT at this point.)

As to your helpful post, I really can’t watch any of that stuff. I remember it all too well without those shows. But, thanks for posting it.

And, God bless them all.

RedCrow on September 9, 2012 at 1:55 AM

mnjg on September 9, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Thanks. Like I said, it was the eeyore in me. But it is somewhat unsettling when the same story come from two different sources. ( Plus additional doubt the article thrown in for FL)

I know the Gravis poll. It is a RV poll, so maybe the edge is even bigger when LV is considered. But Gravis is a small firm, so I do not know how reliable it is.

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Good night B.

Dark Star on September 9, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Dark Star on September 9, 2012 at 1:53 AM

I totally agree that Obama only hope now is to demoralize the Republican base which is much more energized than his base… He is going to utterly fail in this as he failed in everything else he tried in this campaign.

mnjg on September 9, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Well, time to get to bed here as well. Good night all.

Looks like their mothers put the trolls to bed, so it should be a quiet evening from here on out. :-)

AZfederalist on September 9, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Dark Star on September 9, 2012 at 1:53 AM

I don’t think we need to worry about bayview. S/he will certainly vote in November. You do have a point about typically apathetic voters and low-info voters, though. And, it’s a common strategy for democrats to try to supress a vote when the average voter doesn’t like them.

I think bayview is probably a bit like me: A bit of a pessimist, who likes to think he’s a realist, and is afraid of what might happen.

If we had an honest media, this election would already be over.

RedCrow on September 9, 2012 at 2:00 AM

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 1:55 AM

If you are referring to the Politico article then nothing to worry about at all. Politico is one of the worst leftist media organizations out there… They quoted unnamed sources and I am certain that who ever they talked to are not heavily involved in the Romney campaign…

mnjg on September 9, 2012 at 2:03 AM

I am not panicking over Ohio, I am just expressing some concern. I remember Santorum was narrowly leading Romney up until the last weekend, so polls this far out is quite meaningless. But it is always better to be wary than being over-confident.

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 2:03 AM

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 1:55 AM

I read an article recently–it might have been on NRO, can’t remember or I’d post a link. It poked fun at the fact that all of these liberals and their sycophant media basically had a circular system of quoting each other to support whatever claims they were making.

In other words, NYT quotes Odumbo quoting a HuffPo piece…that quoted the NYT!! What do they say about dictators? Control the media.

RedCrow on September 9, 2012 at 2:05 AM

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 2:03 AM

I totally agree that we should not be over confident… At the end the most important thing is to come out in huge numbers and vote… However I am very optimistic about winning based on my predictions model and based on polls about Obama white voters support and the energy gap between our base and his base…

Based on recent polls, Obama is losing nationally somewhere between 15% to 18% of the “White voters” who voted for him in 2008 so assuming that 10% of “White Voters” who voted for him in 2008 switch and vote for Romney in 2012 is a very probable scenario… Based on polls, the energy gap is very much in our favor in 2012 so assuming that 3% of Obama voters from 2008 are going to stay home in 2012 is a very probable scenario…

The MATH is very much on our side and the MATH plus the reality of the economy on the grounds say that Obama is going to lose the elections…

mnjg on September 9, 2012 at 2:09 AM

mnjg on September 9, 2012 at 2:09 AM

I have never seen a picture of Nate Silver before. I hope you don’t look ss nerdy as he is.

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 2:21 AM

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 1:36 AM

The more commonly quoted number has been 1 in 8 jobs in Ohio.

Well, 20 years ago this was true.

Nowadays, if you dig into the number … they are saying 1 in 8 jobs in Ohio are related to auto jobs (i.e. the waitress at a diner near a plant, etc) but that same “related job” is also related to the teller in a nearby bank, etc., etc. etc.

What I am AMAZED at is no one flips the numbers – 7 out of 8 jobs in Ohio have NOTHING to do with auto jobs …

… that’s ~ 88% folks … and folks here in Ohio are a LOT more worried about the 7 out of 8 than they are the freaking auto jobs.

BTW, I guess no one clicked on the Bruce Krasting link I posted above …

… if you had read just the first part of the article – you would be freaking out over the chart from the NFP report he’s referring to in the article. (You can ignore the Bernanke part of the article – it’s intended for people like me who worry Bernanke might be as dumb as the Europeans)

If the trend in the chart is NOT turned around IMMEDIATELY – it really will be GAME OVER.

PolAgnostic on September 9, 2012 at 2:22 AM

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 2:21 AM

LOL… I consider myself somehow a nerd :) (I am an engineer and I have a Bachelor degree in Physics and a Master degree in Mechanical Engineering… I love Math and numbers…)… I think this guy Nate Silver is way overrated plus he is a liberal so his analysis are going to be very biased… In 2010 he under estimated Republicans gains in the house by almost 20 seats…

Again if you wish to have my elections predictions program I would be glad to e-mail it you and you can share with anyone you want… My e-mail address is mnjg123@hotmail.com

mnjg on September 9, 2012 at 2:29 AM

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Sorry my e-mail address is mnjg123@yahoo.com

mnjg on September 9, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Nothing profound here, but has the QOTD ever had 874+ comments??

Erich66 on September 9, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Good night. NFL opening weekend later today.

bayview on September 9, 2012 at 2:41 AM

I was on the phone — missed some people:

Good night AZ & bayview

Dark Star on September 9, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Good night all!

Dark Star on September 9, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Greetings, all!

Ohio poses as many if not more challenges for Obama as it does for Romney. Ignore those who want you to think Obama has Ohio all wrapped up; HE DOES NOT.

There is a difference between eeyoreism and being realistic. Eeyoreism and wallowing in defeatism is the equivalent of throwing in the towel, and it serves no useful purpose. The power to defeat Obama remains in our hands.

It’s not going to be easy, but we have a lot going for us, chiefly that the election is shaping up to be a referendum on Obama’s performance with regard to the economy. Not contraceptives, not abortion, not Bin Laden, but jobs and the economy. This is EXACTLY the debate we want to have. Obama says it’s not his fault and there wasn’t any more he could have done. His position is extremely FLIMSY, contradicts facts, and we have about 55 days to tear it to shreds.

Our people need to keep the eye on the ball. We can get this done.

bluegill on September 9, 2012 at 4:07 AM

The power to defeat Obama remains in our hands.

Our people need to keep the eye on the ball. We can get this done.

bluegill on September 9, 2012 at 4:07 AM

Now, I know who really you are, bluegill.

AFTER ADMITTING YOUR POWER, YOU HAVE JUST AFFIRMED THAT YOU ARE REALLY OBAMA’S PEOPLE!

Dream, bluegill! Dream!

TheAlamos on September 9, 2012 at 5:13 AM

Now, I know who really you are, bluegill.

Dream, bluegill! Dream!

TheAlamos on September 9, 2012 at 5:13 AM

Why don’t you go sober up before posting more comments here. It’s never advisable to post while under the influence, as you demonstrate for everyone here on a regular basis.

bluegill on September 9, 2012 at 5:19 AM

From Steyn’s new column on Fluck.

Fortunately, the America that we could be that isn’t the America that we should be doesn’t have to be the America that we would be.

and

America will be sliding off the cliff — literally, as Joe Biden would literally say. And when America slides off the cliff it lands with a much bigger thud than Greece or Iceland. I’m not certain that the Republicans will be able to prevent that happening. But I know that the Democrats can’t. America owes more money than anybody has ever owed anyone in the history of the planet. But millions of Americans don’t see it, and millions of those who do see it don’t see it as a problem.

Brilliant, as usual. And, as usual, worth the read.

RedCrow on September 9, 2012 at 5:34 AM

the weepers and looters are going to be the utter ruination of America. we’ve seen the growing waves of the producers going galt. how much time is left? what tune are we whistling?

tom daschle concerned on September 9, 2012 at 6:05 AM

bluegill on September 9, 2012 at 5:19 AM

Yeah! Maybe you’re right. Your GOP-E Dream Ticket is really intoxicating!

Romney Slams GOP Leaders – Including His Own VP Nominee – for 2011 Budget Deal

You see? Suddenly, your favorite RINO Nominee has become an ultra-right, non-conformist conservative! What a sham!

Dream, bluegill! Dream!

Bluegill, certified ROMBOT (or liberal Republican?)???

TheAlamos on September 9, 2012 at 7:06 AM

WHAT?!?!?

We’re supposed to make Obama voters feel not-so-bad about their “feel-good” vote?

Are you kidding me?

People: YOU. SCREWED. UP.

And lots and lots of us were screaming about liberals, money, jobs, Jeremiah Wright, etc. from the rafters. YOU SCREWED UP! Own it and never, ever vote Democrat again!

I’m in no frame of mind (obviously) to make Obama voters feel LESS BAD about their catastrophic votes…**fume**

Grace_is_sufficient on September 9, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Sure is quite early in the morning..:)

Dire Straits on September 9, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on September 9, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Wow!..That should wake everyone up!..Nice post!..:)

Dire Straits on September 9, 2012 at 7:37 AM

WHAT?!?!?

Are you kidding me?

People: YOU. SCREWED. UP.

Grace_is_sufficient on September 9, 2012 at 7:35 AM

What a silly comment. Why should tv ads directed at 2008 Obama voters try to make you YOU feel good, Grace? No one needs to convince you to vote against Obama. Telling persuadable 2008 Obama voters what idiots they were is going to do us zero good. I’m glad you aren’t running the Republican campaign. You remind me of those HotAir readers who were posting insulting comments directed at people who appeared in an anti-Obama ad describing how they voted for Obama but are now disappointed. How childish and counterproductive to attack people who are switching their votes FROM Obama. Not everything is about your personal emotions, Grace. No one cares what “frame of mind” you’re in. The point is to win an election, not make YOU feel emotionally satisfied.

bluegill on September 9, 2012 at 7:47 AM

bluegill on September 9, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Exactly and I will tell you when you, and all the other Mittbots, and Romney have figured out how to win an election because right now you haven’t got a clue.

bgibbs1000 on September 9, 2012 at 7:53 AM

bluegill on September 9, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Why do you provoke good posters???!!??..Why??..:)

Dire Straits on September 9, 2012 at 8:01 AM

bgibbs1000 on September 9, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Guess we will see come November??..:)

PS..We are all mittbots now!!..:)

Dire Straits on September 9, 2012 at 8:02 AM

The Three Un-Wise Men

G’nite

Resist We Much on September 9, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Thanks for the info! Very enlightening without all the rhetoric
that usually fogs up the info, making my head spin!

Amjean on September 9, 2012 at 8:05 AM

bgibbs1000 on September 9, 2012 at 7:53 AM

The “mittbot” insult is so unbelievably lame, tiresome and hackneyed. Use your brain to try to come up with a new taunt to use against people who have the good sense to support the ticket who will defeat Obama, since attacking Romney/Ryan seems to be what you like to do to feel special.

I have to agree with previous commenters who concluded that you’re a total idiot. You are the kind of so-called conservative that liberals love to pretend everyone on the Right is like.

bluegill on September 9, 2012 at 8:17 AM

bluegill on September 9, 2012 at 8:17 AM

I’m PROUD to be a MITTBOT

gerrym51 on September 9, 2012 at 8:38 AM

I’m PROUD to be a MITTBOT

gerrym51 on September 9, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Me too! Only the cool people can be Mittbots.

Mittbot pride, baby. We can reclaim the term!

bluegill on September 9, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Isn’t transforming America exactly what the empty chair promised us? Why, I do believe it is, and the idiots still pulled the lever for him cuz he’s historic. I was in the crowd who didn’t vote for him but ok, he’s the prezzy I’ll give him a chance which lasted for about 2 weeks. These so called undecideds need to get off the pot and look around. Maybe their lives haven’t been ruined but a lot more Americans have suffered losses due to their historic vote. Undecideds are a bunch of namby pamby jackwagons.

Kissmygrits on September 9, 2012 at 9:13 AM

The Magic Is Gone

NYT
ROSS DOUTHAT
Published: September 8, 2012

Some of us would not characterize anything “magic” about B. Hussein Obama, well except perhaps the fitting “Magic Negro” description – that has evaporated.
He has been all about sleight of hand …
B. Hussein Obama: “And now for my next magical trick, I shall issue yet another Executive Order, but it’s a secret. You’ll have to re-elect me to find out!”

Uh Huh.
Hopefully, at least a few of his (p)schycophants are onto the tricks up his sleeve.
Oh, and watch out for the squirting boutonniére … it’s filled with Kool-Ade.
~(Ä)~