Team Obama: Focus groups told us they wanted a speech that was flat, repetitive, and disappointing or something

posted at 5:21 pm on September 7, 2012 by Allahpundit

Such is the genius of The One that even his biggest failures are actually huge successes that most people simply haven’t appreciated yet.

Someday, we’ll all see ObamaCare for the masterpiece that it is.

While the pundits are generally calling the president’s Thursday night address mediocre, Obama and his advisers had taken great pains to avoid soaring rhetoric that might have been derided as empty.

Indeed, they extensively tested the president’s speech in dial groups, a type of focus group where voters twist dials to register approval or disapproval of specific passages, and say it tested off the charts. The reaction, they say, was more positive than to Obama’s 2008 acceptance speech in Denver.

In short, the president deliberately dialed it down, stopping well short of the altitudes he is capable of reaching. Perhaps that will prove to be a mistake, but the decision to go with a less rousing approach was carefully considered.

The campaign’s primary goal at the Democratic convention was to provide a concrete sense of what Obama would do in a second term. That was what independent voters wanted, according to the research, and that was the focus in Charlotte.

Yeah, the problem with this embarrassingly feeble bit of spin is that, per Charles Cooke, O really only has one speech left in his repertoire. Whether the focus group loved it or not, that’s what America was going to get last night. He can’t do sweeping vistas and uplift anymore because literally no one outside the hardest-core Obama-bots takes it seriously. The delusion of Hopenchange is now a punchline; if you doubt me, have a look at the Daily Show/Larry David collaboration below. So he’s forced to run through his “things could have been worse” shtick, replete with the same old policy wish list that’s starting to bore even Andrea Mitchell. Just the thought of them holding actual focus groups on last night’s gutterball is funny, in fact. First question: “Did you enjoy this speech more now or the first thousand times you heard it?”

The only people who “liked” what he said last night are, I suspect, partisans strident enough to work for MSNBC whose top priority at the moment is moving the goalposts. See, e.g., Krystal Ball, who thought it was just fine and a useful reminder that we should stop expecting O to be Superman even though he was sold to us four years ago as Superman. That’s his winning message this time around, apparently.

Update: A reader e-mails pointing to the fact that O does, it seems, have a little post-convention bounce. Yes, but read the fine print: Most of the interviews done for Gallup’s poll came before Obama’s speech. He’s riding high on the nice work done on his behalf by Michelle O and Bill Clinton. Let’s see what happens over the weekend now that his own speech is being absorbed by voters.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The Commie filth don’t care what The Commie says. If all he said was a thousand “uh’s” – they’d have to be changing their panties. This goes for the Commie women, too.

OhEssYouCowboys on September 7, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Obama-Biden 2012
An Expressway To The Third World

VorDaj on September 7, 2012 at 5:24 PM

I totally meant to leave the car in that ditch. Slurpee?

Christien on September 7, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Quick thinking.

JellyToast on September 7, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Focus groups told us that they wanted a speech that was flat, repetitive, and disappointing

Spoken like a true nine-year-old.

petefrt on September 7, 2012 at 5:28 PM

The next time I hear the phrase “crumbling roads and bridges” I’m going to stab myself in the eye with a screwdriver.

Kataklysmic on September 7, 2012 at 5:28 PM

May the preference cascade wash him all the way back to the sewers of Chicago.

RobertE on September 7, 2012 at 5:29 PM

These must be the same people who declared that Obama is deliberately limiting crowd size (to explain away the smaller numbers of “folks”) at his rallies.

Oh, I get it.
I see what you’re doing there . . . /sarc

pianomomma on September 7, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Yea… Obama: I meant to do that. Obama is starting to look more like Pee Wee Herman every day. Oh at least we all belong to the Government and their is nothing scary about having Pee Wee Herman as the head of the Government.

SWalker on September 7, 2012 at 5:30 PM

What I like best about this video is that it was produced and narrated by two of the most committed leftists our nation has to offer. Larry David is basically a Communist. I believe we can safely say the bloom is off of this rose.

Flyovercountry on September 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM

In other words, the soaring great uniter and speaker condescended to his fans who wanted him to be mediocre for them? No wonder he can’t get his message across! Even his own peons are too pedestrian and Philistine to full grasp his magnificence.

Are these liberals truly so dumb they can’t tell when their demigod has a penchant for insult them, too, whenever he fails (even them)?

Liam on September 7, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Kataklysmic on September 7, 2012 at 5:28 PM

That is all they have.

Oh, and “teachers and firefighters”.

Del Dolemonte on September 7, 2012 at 5:32 PM

O really only has one speech left in his repertoire anymore. Whether the focus group loved it or not, that’s what America was going to get last night.

This is all you had to know about all of this. He is a one trick pony now. If you have heard him speak at all in the last 5 years, you know exactly what the next thing out of his mouth is going to be.

We can’t afford…
We must invest…
It takes time to…
I never said…
They’ll tell you…
Some will say…

CycloneCDB on September 7, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Obama 2012: Hey at least weren’t killed by a meteor.

Obama 2012: Less Bad > Bad Bad

Obama 2012: Squirrel!

Lance Murdock on September 7, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Called it:

That was weakly weaksauce covered in weaksauce sauce.

Christien on September 7, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Christien on September 7, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Wow, what a pathetic “I meant to do that.”

rbj on September 7, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Next time find the focus group that wants a new president, and listen to them.

Philly on September 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM

It was a rehash of Carter’s speech from 1980.

tom daschle concerned on September 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I would agree with Allah if Obama’s numbers weren’t up. This is more an indication that last time voters chose Obama to show they weren’t racists. This time they’re choosing him to show they are in fact idiots. There can be no other explanation.

xkaydet65 on September 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM

And, BOY, did he deliver

Ragspierre on September 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM

So if that were true, Krystal, they wouldn’t have originally booked his acceptance speech in yet another football stadium, only to freak out over empty seats and use the weather as their excuse for moving it indoors. According to your analysis, Krystal, the speech should have been indoors all along.

Analysis fail.

Bitter Clinger on September 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Same focus groups also wanted higher taxes, fewer jobs, and a weaker US dollar.

Jeddite on September 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Oh, I get it.
I see what you’re doing there . . . /sarc

pianomomma on September 7, 2012 at 5:30 PM

To paraphrase the manager of Spinal Tap, “His appeal is becoming more selective.”

He later told the band that cancelling the Boston gig wasn’t an issue, as it “wasn’t a big college town”.

teke184 on September 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Kataklysmic on September 7, 2012 at 5:28 PM

That is all they have.

Oh, and “teachers and firefighters”.

Del Dolemonte on September 7, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I was just about to type that…WHERE IN THE HELL ARE ALL OF THESE CRUMBLING ROADS AND BRIDGES?!?!?!? You would think that we have a news story every night about the latest person to die in a bridge collapse.

IF they lose this election – they’ll be sitting there wondering why they lost and their Goebbels redux didn’t take. It’ll be because NOBODY SEES all of these crumbling roads and bridges they keep telling us abound.

CycloneCDB on September 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM

That’s funny – they made a joke

gophergirl on September 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I’ll be right back. Obama just gave me a great idea. I gotta go draft a memo to my boss about my plans to miss my performance goals this year so he won’t be disappointed in me and oh, yeah, that I plan to look better next year — just be patient. That ought to solidify my career advancement chances, don’t you think?

natasha333 on September 7, 2012 at 5:36 PM

O really only has one speech left in his repertoire.

Hopefully his concession speech. That one should be a doozie.

JPeterman on September 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Wow – that was a close one – I’m glad that ‘team obama’ cleared up the confusion, because everyone with a brain was under the mistaken perception that obama’s speech sucked donkey snot – we didn’t realize that it was just over our heads.

Thank goodness that we have ‘team obama’ to remind us that we are all just too stupid to understand obama’s messianic brilliance.

Pork-Chop on September 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Same focus groups also wanted higher taxes, fewer jobs, and a weaker US dollar.

Jeddite on September 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM

They keep asking the baby on the Capital One commercial that thinks more money is bad. Strangely – that’s also where Fallon gets his political insight.

CycloneCDB on September 7, 2012 at 5:39 PM

That is some desperate spin right there..
He purposely sucked..you just don’t get the brilliance of Barry.

we should stop expecting O to be Superman/messiah even though he was sold to us four years ago as Superman a messiah. That’s his winning message this time around, apparently.

He is no longer a blank slate, a little man now exposed for what he really is. An empty,arrogant,lying,dividing, America hating- THUG..
The real Barry is on display.

bazil9 on September 7, 2012 at 5:40 PM

O really only has one speech left in his repertoire.

Hopefully his concession speech. That one should be a doozie.

JPeterman on September 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Yes, and hopefully after he finishes blaming all of us for his miserable failures he’ll pack his hopey-changey ass up and move to Kenya…

SWalker on September 7, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Using Wasserman’s speech coach?

right2bright on September 7, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I hate to float this because they’ll pick it up and run with it but, based on the analogy at the end of this post, it’s obvious:

Republican’s aren’t just mean minded, greedy, racist, wrinkled old rich men living in castles and wearing silk smoking jackets while having innocent peasants tortured in their basements, just for kicks, they are, in fact….

Kryptonite!

That explains everything.

No wonder Superman is grounded and appearing almost mortal.

See, they shouldn’t be calling Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan Nazi names. They should be calling them Lex Luther!

But, honestly, I don’t think it will work, outside of the Beverly Hills zip code.

The more accurate visual might be to let everybody who is not Barack Obama wear the “S” on their chest. “S” for “Sucker.”

IndieDogg on September 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Is that the voice of Frank Costanza’s caped lawyer.

Hat Trick on September 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM

This is why I think Ryan was such a smart, strategic choice for VP. No matter how you try to spin it or explain it away, you can’t argue with . . . . MATH.

(Well, PolitiFact tries, bless their souls).

pianomomma on September 7, 2012 at 5:43 PM

It was obvious that the speech was not intended to inspire anyone. It was only meant to appeal to his base.

Obama and team Obama have come to the conclusion that they cannot hope to persuade people to join their cause. They are simply hoping to get the party loyalists off the couch to go vote.

I think it speaks volumes that this is the case. It means that not only does the campaign harbor no hope of getting the kind of enthusiasm that they saw in 2008, they are cognizant of the fact that their own base is disillusioned and depressed.

I listened as Obama made a direct appeal to the various splinter groups he hopes to weld together on election day. He actually read off a sort of laundry list.I can’t readily recall that from any other President in an acceptance speech who wished to be reelected. They generally make broad appeals, using the fact that they ARE sitting Presidents to include all Americans.

The speech was not only dispirited, it was dispiriting. It wasn’t a speech of a candidate making the case for leadership. It was an apology for not leading and a promise to try to do better. That’s not going to inspire confidence in anyone, even his own base.

thatsafactjack on September 7, 2012 at 5:43 PM

That’s some epic spin. Voters just can’t handle how awesome Obama is!!!

supernova on September 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Anybody else looking forward to his “concession” speech if he loses? Bet he won’t be flat then.

Waggoner on September 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM

CycloneCDB on September 7, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Bernanke should consult that toddler next time he starts thinking about hosting another quantitative easing party.

Jeddite on September 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM

brilliant!!! has to explain claiming weather concerns to cut the venue size by 2/3. This guy is so far ahead of us we just can’t conceive of his mind

it’s like he’s playing nine levels of 3-D tiddly winks and we’re just paying attention to getting by or something

DanMan on September 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM

So, that’s how they explain Granholio’s performance–so crazy, it’s sane!

Christien on September 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM

SWalker on September 7, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Maybe we could get all of Chicago move to Kenya. Would be a big improvement. I’d miss my Cubs and Bears, but it’s for the cause.

Bitter Clinger on September 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Kataklysmic on September 7, 2012 at 5:28 PM

CycloneCDB on September 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM

AMEN. I swear to God, this SippyCup-in-Chief is the verbal equivalent of the Chinese Water-Torture (oopsie…said a naughty word…)

SnarkySam on September 7, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Waggoner on September 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I’m still betting he would never give a concession speech. Even if Mitt won 538-0.

Bitter Clinger on September 7, 2012 at 5:46 PM

It’s all squirrels til November

faraway on September 7, 2012 at 5:46 PM

“Hope” “Cope”

“The new normal…

… deal with it.” – Obowma

Seven Percent Solution on September 7, 2012 at 5:47 PM

THANK GOD the conventions are over. Now R&R have tons of money, they need to start making some meaningful ads and saturate the country with them.

scalleywag on September 7, 2012 at 5:48 PM

It was a rehash of Carter’s speech from 1980.

tom daschle concerned on September 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Wow. I have oft been tempted to “recycle” the work of others. I can’t imagine how Jimmy Carter has ever been considered worth plagiarizing, though.

Romney/Ryan 2012 – Because the other guys don’t even plagiarize very well

CycloneCDB on September 7, 2012 at 5:48 PM

My local college team lost 40-0 last week. I applauded the coaches strategy of lowering expectations and dialing it down a bit. It should really help them when conference starts.

Spider79 on September 7, 2012 at 5:48 PM

“Did you enjoy this speech more now or the first thousand times you heard it?”

The fact of the matter is that Obama had the opportunity to give a speech last night that would have crushed his opposition. It would have required him to show humility, admit his mistakes over the last three years and nine months, and reach out to the GOP in a substantive manner. In other words it was a speech that will never be given by the thin-skinned narcissistic rat-eared bastard. In other words, Obama needed to connect with Americans in a real and personal way; not as superman but as husband, father, and human being. Obama needed to give the same kind of speech that was given by Mitt Romney.

It does my heart good that he’s too arrogant to have given that kind of speech!

Happy Nomad on September 7, 2012 at 5:49 PM

It’s like Spinal Tap’s “Black Album.”

Christien on September 7, 2012 at 5:49 PM

That is one assignment Barry successfully completed.

bayview on September 7, 2012 at 5:50 PM

May the preference cascade wash him all the way back to the sewers of Chicago.

RobertE on September 7, 2012 at 5:29 PM

We like to call them Aurora & Joliet.

Lanceman on September 7, 2012 at 5:50 PM

So, that’s how they explain Granholio’s performance–so crazy, it’s sane!

Christien on September 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Don’t get me started on Granholio (I’m stealing that one.)

A) WHO brings in a governor who absolutely decimated their state to speak before the POTUS?

B) I honestly wonder if she isn’t mentally deficient. Seriously. She’s not all there. I am thinking Obama lost a bowling game to her and he had to let her speak.

CycloneCDB on September 7, 2012 at 5:51 PM

We like to call them Aurora & Joliet.

Not Hyde Park ? Weird….

runner on September 7, 2012 at 5:52 PM

…the president deliberately dialed it down, stopping well short of the altitudes he is capable of reaching

‘Honey, I deliberately dialed it down because you were panting and screaming’

/so says Ugly

Ugly on September 7, 2012 at 5:52 PM

natasha333 on September 7, 2012 at 5:36 PM

It’s worth a try. ;)

Imagine saying in a performance review:

Yes, I increased the company’s debt by trillions. Yes, my decisions cost millions of jobs even though I favored a few groups and managed to fund their pensions with money that others will have pay. It’s true that I gave my buds billions to fund their businesses that failed, but someone else has to pay for that. They were loyal, and heck…. what’s a guy to do? Yes, it’s true that I took 18 vacations , played over 100 rounds of golf and my wife took lavish vacations with her friends on your tab – but……. if you had a wife like mine, you would understand. Yes, it’s true that I don’t work/play well with others, but you knew when you hired me that I am the next best thing to Jesus.

So, yeah. I missed the mark, but you know as well as I do that if I focus like a laser, I can do the job. I just got carried away riding around on AF1, having people wait on me, having a personal body guy (whew! that was fun), having those military chumps salute me, and having the opportunity to whisper sweet nothings in a Commie’s ear….. that has been a dream of mine since childhood!

Get over it, homey. A few more years, and we’re good. Is there anything I can do for you? (wink, wink)

Cody1991 on September 7, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Yeah, whatever.

Colorado Anne on September 7, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Yes, and the focus groups also told us they wanted $4.00 gas, a reduction in take home pay, $6,000,000,000,000 in debt racked up in < 4 years, 23M unemployed, doubling down on Afghanistan, Solyndra et al, 104 rounds of golf and endless taxpayer funded white house parties and first family vacations while meeting with his cabinet and jobs council maybe 2 or 3 times per year, no budget passed in 3+ years, a 50% increase in food stamp recipients, 1 in 6now living in poverty, and on and on.
Last night we didn't hear hope & change. Now it's he's "hopeful". If we, the American voter, do not landslide this guy out then we're doomed by our own stupidity.

nikophil on September 7, 2012 at 5:53 PM

runner on September 7, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Through the night

Through the door

Lanceman on September 7, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Goebbels laughed his dead azz off, derisively.

Schadenfreude on September 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Bitter Clinger on September 7, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Um…. To concede necessitates telling Mooch that her “lifestyles of the rich and famous” on the American taxpayer’s backs is coming to an end. Would you want to be the one to tell America’s biggest grifter that the days of private jets and lobster are over?

Happy Nomad on September 7, 2012 at 5:56 PM

You mean…

This Guy?

Or this guy?

…aaannnd this dude…

I didn’t realize someone forced this image upon him. How terrible.

budfox on September 7, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Waggoner on September 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Bitter Clinger on September 7, 2012 at 5:46 PM

It’s going to be interesting, isn’t it…

… These people don’t give up power easily, if at all.

And Obowma isn’t just any ordinary Marxist…

… His narcissism is certifiable.

Will he accept defeat, or see it as unjust and do everything and anything to hold onto power…

… because “It’s the right thing ta do!”

Seven Percent Solution on September 7, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Someday, we’ll all see ObamaCare for the masterpiece that it is.

He never mentioned Obama’care’ nor the stumulus, so the reporst today…

Schadenfreude on September 7, 2012 at 5:57 PM

and say it tested off the charts

In the choom rooms.

vityas on September 7, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Also showed that they wanted Obama (Economic Super Genius) to step all over his doo-dad. That gets the sympathy vote.

jukin3 on September 7, 2012 at 5:57 PM

O really only has one speech left in his repertoire.
Hopefully his concession speech. That one should be a doozie.

JPeterman on September 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Yes, that’s one to look forward to:

Don’t be discouraged that we didn’t win tonight. Just remember how much we accomplished in four years: More than Five Trillion Dollars in new debt! Downgrading of the U.S. credit rating for the first time ever! Millions and millions of new people signed up to receive food stamps, welfare, Medicaid, and other forms of taxpayer-funded assistance! A giant new, unaffordable entitlement program created! A million or more illegal aliens handed residency and work permits, so they can compete for non-existent jobs with the millions of out-of-work Americans still looking!

We’ve done so much to set this nation on the path to its destruction, and we won’t stop until the job is done . . . .

AZCoyote on September 7, 2012 at 5:59 PM

My son coaches middle school football in TX. They’re 5-0. I’m going to tell him that’s not the way to succeed, he needs to tell those boys to run slower and catch fewer passes. /

scalleywag on September 7, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Of course Putin wants him to serve another term. He’ll have more flexibility after the election.

scalleywag on September 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I guess if you can’t be brilliant all your left with is… b flat.

thatsafactjack on September 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM

And in 2008, focus groups told Obama that voters wanted 4 years of 8%+ unemployment, skyrocketing debt, an Obama worldwide apology tour, doubling of gas prices….

yeah, sure.

albill on September 7, 2012 at 6:02 PM

The focus groups also told Team Barry to go run a listless, wasteful,undisciplined, and ineffective small ball campaign until the election.

bayview on September 7, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Waggoner on September 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM

His concession speech will follow one of the following two points.

1) Either he’ll blame everybody else but himself; OR
2) His followers will claim that they intentionally wanted Obama to lose so he can focus on “more community organizing.”

Kingfisher on September 7, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Obama’s about as creative as Brayam.

CW on September 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM

What the article omitted was the fact that the focus group consisted of Michelle Obama, Valerie Jarrett, Reggie Love, David Axelrod, Sasha Obama, Malia Obama, and Bo Obama (the dog).

AZCoyote on September 7, 2012 at 6:05 PM

His concession speech will follow one of the following two points.

1) Either he’ll blame everybody else but himself; OR

Kingfisher on September 7, 2012 at 6:03 PM

or

3) America is still too racist to appreciate Obama’s genius.

Happy Nomad on September 7, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Schadenfreude on September 7, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Not directly, he did mention his mother having cancer and said that it depleted her resources and, in that sense, I guess it may have been a vague allusion.

He can’t really mention his ‘signature achievement’ because it is deeply unpopular. Even his die hard base has real problems with it.

The same goes for his record. He’s failed to keep his lofty promises. He has no where left to go.

thatsafactjack on September 7, 2012 at 6:09 PM

… because “It’s the right thing ta do!”

Seven Percent Solution on September 7, 2012 at 5:56 PM

You are sorely mistaken to you think he would allow himself to be defeated. If the polls are really trending against him, you think he’s going to leave a bullet in the chamber?

His modern-day brownshirts (or are they purple?), NBPP (since they know Holder isn’t going to prosecute), voter fraud (hope we can keep those racist ID checkers away from the polls), bomb Iran (to justify the need to cancel an election), any/all of the above.

A narcissist of this magnitude is not going down without a fight.

Make book on that, Missy.

CycloneCDB on September 7, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I live for the concession speech. No teleprompter, just pure off the cuff crazy. I want spittle flying, name calling and tantrum throwing until Michelle has to pick him up off the floor and carry him away.

salem on September 7, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Obama: Less than his best, by popular demand!

Liam on September 7, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Let’s not dismiss this out of hand.

Who do we know that has the soft-bigotry of low expectations down pat?

The Dems.

If they focus-grouped the Dems for this – it is entirely possible the racist SOBs said “we think he’ll be fine if he just shows up and has his tie straight. After all – that’s like a storybook, man!”

Think about it.

CycloneCDB on September 7, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Jobs Picture Comparison: January 2009 v. August 2012 — Empty Suit Employment

M2RB: Stone’s “Empty Suit”

Resist We Much on September 7, 2012 at 6:13 PM

The problem with not exposing who was in the focus group, was that they were probably already in the tank. O neded to reach those outside of this group, and should have used moderates,indys the unemployed and undecided.

skeeterbite on September 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I don’t think Obama will make a concession speech. I think he’ll make a belated call to Romney to conceded. I think he’ll have his surrogates make an announcement, like Carney and Axelrod.

I don’t need to see a ‘farewell’ speech from Obama.

I’m just looking forward to seeing that chopper lift off, with him aboard, headed for Chicago, on January 20th, 2013.

thatsafactjack on September 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM

In other words: Crap Sandwiches are absolutely DELICIOUS!

/OK, if Obama says so it must be true so let’s pass some more crap

Key West Reader on September 7, 2012 at 6:20 PM

have to be careful, too many tingling legs could be embarassing.

kirkill on September 7, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Those focus groups were led by Sheen, Wright, and DWS.

Christien on September 7, 2012 at 6:21 PM

The best part of that whole schtick was the thunderous applause from the Daily Show’s mostly leftist audience. If he can be mocked with impunity in front of that crowd to their obvious delight, he’s toast. Clint Eastwood gave everyone permission to fire the president who isn’t doing a good job, but Jon Stewart just gave them all permission to laugh at their high holy hero. That is going to leave a mark.

Lily on September 7, 2012 at 6:21 PM

thatsafactjack on September 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM

With a $100 bill and a new empty suit

skeeterbite on September 7, 2012 at 6:21 PM

xkaydet65 on September 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Amen. I want to say that 51% of our nation are short bus riders, but even they are rolling their eyes at the collective stupidity of these fools who must think it feels good to keep slamming their heads into brick walls. What is that about the “definition of stupidity?”

BettyRuth on September 7, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Jeezus… now their phoning in the spin.

That explains the phony poll AP posted to drive up the thread count…

CPT. Charles on September 7, 2012 at 6:23 PM

thatsafactjack on September 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Perhaps @SealObama can jump from the aircraft, demonstrating how “he did that” in Pokeestahn! You know, how he single handedly killed Osama with his own bony manicured buffed fingers and kicked him in the nuts with his Weejuns. And stuff.

/Dreams from his Ego

Key West Reader on September 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Ugh.. Why do I still feel like Obama is still going to win.. Sorry, I’m going full downer. I just hope that it doesn’t hurt Ryan.

Illinidiva on September 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM

President Four Putt has given up..He isn’t going to do a flat out surrender..too much money collected from the brain dead faithful to be doled out to his moneyed partners at stake to call it quits…

Going through the motions…

Buh Bye DickHead…Good riddance to scum rubbish…

BigWyo on September 7, 2012 at 6:30 PM

For the record, Gallup was threatened with a lawsuit by Eric Holder because they didn’t like their polling on the unemployment numbers. Bing that.

It is astonishing to see a +9 bounce from Gallup before even Teh Won spoke last night. What a shame to lose a trusted, long serving polling firm to the jackboots of Chicago. But, on the other hand… if you are that easily intimidated then you had no integrity to begin with, right Gallup?

Key West Reader on September 7, 2012 at 6:33 PM

xkaydet65 on September 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Please don’t be referring to that idiotic Gallup poll where there are no internals.

They are going to spin this as much as they can. We just have to keep focused.

kim roy on September 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Illinidiva on September 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT get all Debbie Downer. I have zero faith in Gallup’s numbers, and Allahpundit would be a full on Eeyore with a ten point lead. There are going to be a lot of ups and downs over the next 60 days and the left is just waiting for people to say exactly what you just said- you’ve got to push forward and ASSUME that you don’t live in a nation full of brain dead fools. You also need to keep in mind as you allow yourself to be negative- If Obama wins another four years? America is over. He will destroy whats left of the economy, and we will be stuck with Barrycare. Do you really want Putin to be in charge of our foreign affairs? Now is not the time to go weak in the resolve just because of one bogus poll.

BettyRuth on September 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Gallup has to keep O’s numbers up. They were sent an email by Axelgrease bitching about Romney up 5, and now the DOJ has joined a 2 year old suit about their methodology. Shannon Breen on Fox News had the story today: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/06/emails-suggest-axelrod-leaned-on-gallup-after-unfavorable-poll/

RADIOONE on September 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I bet the same focus group said they’d rather see Obama in a smaller venue than a football stadium.

OxyCon on September 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM