Team Obama: Focus groups told us they wanted a speech that was flat, repetitive, and disappointing or something

posted at 5:21 pm on September 7, 2012 by Allahpundit

Such is the genius of The One that even his biggest failures are actually huge successes that most people simply haven’t appreciated yet.

Someday, we’ll all see ObamaCare for the masterpiece that it is.

While the pundits are generally calling the president’s Thursday night address mediocre, Obama and his advisers had taken great pains to avoid soaring rhetoric that might have been derided as empty.

Indeed, they extensively tested the president’s speech in dial groups, a type of focus group where voters twist dials to register approval or disapproval of specific passages, and say it tested off the charts. The reaction, they say, was more positive than to Obama’s 2008 acceptance speech in Denver.

In short, the president deliberately dialed it down, stopping well short of the altitudes he is capable of reaching. Perhaps that will prove to be a mistake, but the decision to go with a less rousing approach was carefully considered.

The campaign’s primary goal at the Democratic convention was to provide a concrete sense of what Obama would do in a second term. That was what independent voters wanted, according to the research, and that was the focus in Charlotte.

Yeah, the problem with this embarrassingly feeble bit of spin is that, per Charles Cooke, O really only has one speech left in his repertoire. Whether the focus group loved it or not, that’s what America was going to get last night. He can’t do sweeping vistas and uplift anymore because literally no one outside the hardest-core Obama-bots takes it seriously. The delusion of Hopenchange is now a punchline; if you doubt me, have a look at the Daily Show/Larry David collaboration below. So he’s forced to run through his “things could have been worse” shtick, replete with the same old policy wish list that’s starting to bore even Andrea Mitchell. Just the thought of them holding actual focus groups on last night’s gutterball is funny, in fact. First question: “Did you enjoy this speech more now or the first thousand times you heard it?”

The only people who “liked” what he said last night are, I suspect, partisans strident enough to work for MSNBC whose top priority at the moment is moving the goalposts. See, e.g., Krystal Ball, who thought it was just fine and a useful reminder that we should stop expecting O to be Superman even though he was sold to us four years ago as Superman. That’s his winning message this time around, apparently.

Update: A reader e-mails pointing to the fact that O does, it seems, have a little post-convention bounce. Yes, but read the fine print: Most of the interviews done for Gallup’s poll came before Obama’s speech. He’s riding high on the nice work done on his behalf by Michelle O and Bill Clinton. Let’s see what happens over the weekend now that his own speech is being absorbed by voters.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

O really only has one speech nothing left in his repertoire.

FIFY

GarandFan on September 7, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Ugh.. Why do I still feel like Obama is still going to win.. Sorry, I’m going full downer. I just hope that it doesn’t hurt Ryan.

Illinidiva on September 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM

In hope this will be a help, the only thing the Left has remaining is voter-suppression. All their announcements and MSM ‘reports’ are to get their own dwindled base to the polls, while also hoping our side becomes so disillusioned we stay home.

Their base isn’t really responding to the call, so the Dems’ main hope is to crush our collective spirit so we ‘don’t even bother’. It’s just tactics.

Liberals think long-term. If the Left can win this time because our side stayed home, our side might well believe we didn’t have a chance in the first place, and also stay home in ’14 and ’16.

I’m tired of being considered by the Dems a cash-cow; an idiot; a racist; a serf.

I may well have too much pride for my own good. But I at least have enough to fight back at the ballot box for the insults wrongly levied against me for decades by Democrats and other liberals like Chris Matthews.

Liam on September 7, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Liam on September 7, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I like the cut of your jib!

texgal on September 7, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Breaking: Obama experiences post-convention bounce

Christien on September 7, 2012 at 7:03 PM

The only Obama speech that I have any interest in hearing is his concession speech at 9:45 PM EST on November the 6th.

donkichi on September 7, 2012 at 7:05 PM

…that’s what I heard..a speech cut and pasted from his other speeches…nothing new.

KOOLAID2 on September 7, 2012 at 7:10 PM

There is one perfection that must be acknowledged of the left, and particularly of this White House and present God-hating party. They are absolutely the master liars, professionals of the…highe… well,..the lowest sort.

Don L on September 7, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Polls, schmolls. Gallup, schmallop.

That was freaking funny !

;-)

pambi on September 7, 2012 at 7:22 PM

David Axelfraud, November 7, 2012: “We went to great pains to avoid winning the election because losing the election tested off the charts with our focus group.”

OxyCon on September 7, 2012 at 7:50 PM

So are they just making excuses, or did they make a bad decision? Is Romney in Obama’s OODA loop?

tom on September 7, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Ugh..Sorry, not buying the optimism. Perhaps because I’m 30 and have never actually experienced a good prez election… Seriously, the best election I’ve ever experienced.. Bush’s nailbiter in 2004. I’d just like to experience a landslide for once ala Reagan.

Illinidiva on September 7, 2012 at 8:10 PM

It was a rehash of Carter’s speech from 1980.

tom daschle concerned on September 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Yep, I heard that on Rush today. I laughed myself silly at the almost word-for-word sentences Obama used that were lifted from Carter’s speech at the DNC Convention.

PatriotGal2257 on September 7, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Allah,

What’s with the positive attitude in the update? :)

tbrickert on September 7, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Like POTUS without TOTUS, the groups lost their focus. Poor POTUS.

rukiddingme on September 7, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I loved Bill Clinton’s speech:

Loved it when he wagged his finger at the camera – reminded me of his wagging when he said, “I did not have sex with that woman, Miss Lewinsky.” Of course we know how honest he was being then.

My overall impression — “I was a great President. Obama, not so much.”

Concerned_American on September 8, 2012 at 12:14 AM

’d just like to experience a landslide for once ala Reagan.

Illinidiva on September 7, 2012 at 8:10 PM

The Reagan landslides (2) were just fantastic. And I recall that the polls and the media flacks just felt sorry for that clueless old actor going around the country making a fool of himself.

Personal memory-

Peter Jennings of ABC News conducted an interview with Governor Reagan. I don’t recall most it, but towards the end Mr. Reagan was praising American entrepreneurs. He had a small metal device that had been given him by a supporter at a campaign stop. The device could be clipped on the side of a 12 oz. soft drink can and served as a holder which kept your hand off the container. By doing so, it kept heat from being transferred from the hand to the can and allowed the drink to remain cooler, longer. Mr. Reagan thought it was a neat idea – so did I – and he told Jennings that almost every product has started with a small idea which has then been developed by people pursuing a dream . Everything was lost on Jennings. All he could see was that THE GOVERNMENT was going to save the (Carter) economy. The interview ended with Jennings facing the camera and saying it was so sad that this old man thought the economy could be turned around with a $.99 drink holder.

I sweated both elections because I listened to the polls. At the time I worked with a retired Navy Captain and he kept telling me not to worry. As Mr. Reagan used to say, the polls that matteer are conducted on the first Tuesday of November.
Some things don’t change. Media Liberals still worship at the alter of all-powerful central government.

oldleprechaun on September 8, 2012 at 5:04 PM

You forgot to mention how the speech had, LITERALLY, a response for every criticism in the past 3 years; including the way it was delivered.

John Kettlewell on September 8, 2012 at 5:21 PM