Eastwood: Mission accomplished

posted at 10:41 am on September 7, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

It’s been a week since Clint Eastwood stepped off the stage at the Republican convention, creating a lot of headscratching among political analysts but also an enduring vision of Barack Obama.  The former mayor of Carmel has remained silent since, preferring to let his performance speak for itself.  Today, though, the local newspaper Carmel Pine Cone published an exclusive interview with the Hollywood legend, who says he did exactly what he intended — to expose Barack Obama as “the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people” (via Instapundit):

But in a wide-ranging interview with The Pine Cone Tuesday, he said he had conveyed the messages he wanted to convey, and that the spontaneous nature of his presentation was intentional, too.

“I had three points I wanted to make,” Eastwood said. “That not everybody in Hollywood is on the left, that Obama has broken a lot of the promises he made when he took office, and that the people should feel free to get rid of any politician who’s not doing a good job. But I didn’t make up my mind exactly what I was going to say until I said it.”

Eastwood’s appearance at the convention came after a personal request from Romney in August, soon after Eastwood endorsed the former Massachusetts governor at a fundraiser in Sun Valley, Idaho. But it was finalized only in the last week before the convention, along with an agreement to build suspense by keeping it secret until the last moment. …

“President Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people,” Eastwood told The Pine Cone this week. “Romney and Ryan would do a much better job running the country, and that’s what everybody needs to know. I may have irritated a lot of the lefties, but I was aiming for people in the middle.”

Be sure to read it all, but this is also a keeper:

Eastwood said people, including reporters, who were shocked by his remarks “are obviously on the left,” and he maintained that, while many Americans didn’t like the way he handled his convention appearance, millions more have something else on their minds.

“A lot of people are realizing they had the wool pulled over their eyes by Obama,” Eastwood said.

And they’re still talking about it today.  I doubt that will be true of Scarlett Johansson or Kerry Washington, who delivered brief and banal remarks at the Democratic convention last night.  Johansson is an A-lister, but it’s not exactly shocking news when a Hollywood celebrity endorses a Democrat for … well, anything.  Few would have tuned in to see what they had to say, and the networks didn’t carry their speeches anyway.  Eastwood’s inclusion in the prime-time slot for the last night of the convention was intended to draw the curious to see what he’d say in support of Mitt Romney — and have them stick around for the candidate afterward.

That’s also mission accomplished.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

That Clint,he was sure Rowdy.

docflash on September 7, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Then there is Once Upon A Time In The West which is Leone’s masterpiece. Bronson as the good guy and Fonda as the bad guy is absolutely perfect.
Daemonocracy on September 7, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Although I think the movie is overrated, Fonda, going against character, turned in one of the great movie villan performances evah. I think that may be his best acting job.

tommyboy on September 7, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Hopefully everyone will thank Clint by going to his new movie TROUBLE WITH THE CURVE.

Chris Christie, meanwhile isn’t worthy to shine his saddle. Hopefully that grotesque fraud has finally opened the eyes of the idiots who call him a ‘conservative’ by bashing Clint on Fallon’s show. That had to be one of the most uncool moves I can remember.

Long live Josey Wales!

AmeriCuda on September 7, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Christ Christie is just a loudmouth jerk that takes on Unions in public.

Other than that……………UGH.

PappyD61 on September 7, 2012 at 1:04 PM

As for Eastwood movies in general, Dirty Harry has to be my favorite, a conservative message in a Hollywood film??

I also recommend Coogan’s Bluff to anyone who hasn’t seen it, it’s like a Dirty Harry type of character before there was Dirty Harry and it’s a great film.

A Perfect World is pretty fantastic as well.

I never did get into that movie he did with the Orangutan though.

Daemonocracy on September 7, 2012 at 1:05 PM

May Eastwood go into history not as an actor/director, but as the man who saved the land, or who slowed down her demise.

Schadenfreude on September 7, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Word, Shade.

Tenwheeler on September 7, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Schadenfreude on September 7, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Don’t the Republicans mock Democrats for hero worship? The Obomification of the Republican party.

Republican, Preservative since 2012, Preserving Democrat Failures for Future Generations.

I like Clint Eastwood, I do not like the new Republican Party. Bring back the conservative version please.

astonerii on September 7, 2012 at 1:06 PM

tommyboy on September 7, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Yeah I would put him right up there with Hans Gruber.

Daemonocracy on September 7, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I hate westerns. Always have. They are all the same.

lorien1973 on September 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Guess you’ve never seen “The Villain” with Kirk Douglas, Ann-Margret, and Arnold Swartzenegger.

Take the time, and be prepared for the surprise of a lifetime.

Tenwheeler on September 7, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I liked the speech and it did indeed hit the right targets, but can we stop pretending that the mumbles and pauses were all staged in some brilliant performance, as has been suggested by quite a few on the right?

jjraines on September 7, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Obama/Biden. The DNC’s version of Two Mules for Sister Sara.

Buttercup on September 7, 2012 at 1:09 PM

That guy would make a great mayor for a town full of rich folks.

verbaluce on September 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM

You realize that the town began, and essentially remains, an artists’ colony? Craftsmen, shopkeepers, gallery owners, small businesses, lots of (legal) immigrants, an economy based largely on tourism that rises and falls with the national tide. Small town America on macrame. The kinds of places that are hurting across the nation under the current regime.

The rich folks live in the Valley, around Pebble Beach and along the 17-Mile Drive.

de rigueur on September 7, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Yeah, who can forget Don Stroud – one of the great movie “punks”.

tommyboy on September 7, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Yup.

And Robert Duvall: “Little girl, get me some Whiskey”

ToddPA on September 7, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Take the time, and be prepared for the surprise of a lifetime.
Tenwheeler on September 7, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Arnold was so gawd-awful bad in that (his first movie) had the Conan role not come along his acting career would have ended right there. The movie and Arnold were so horrible that Arnold doesn’t even list the flick in his filmography on his web site.

tommyboy on September 7, 2012 at 1:13 PM

astonerii on September 7, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Any American admires a true hero. What we currently have residing at 1600 Penn is a fairy tale, kind of like that little Vietnam hero story somebody tried to sell a few years ago.

Tenwheeler on September 7, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I hate westerns. Always have. They are all the same.

lorien1973 on September 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Try Lonely Are the Brave. Or The Ballad of Cable Hogue. “End of the west” westerns. Kirk Douglas gives an amazing performance in Lonely, before he’s run over by a truck driven by Archie Bunker. Doesn’t get any more unconventional than that.

de rigueur on September 7, 2012 at 1:14 PM

The one thing that Clint did that I thought he was going to catch heck for was when he delivered the line, “you gotta let him go” he ran his finger across his throat (a la a knife cut).

Turns out, the media was so angered by his overall performance they let the knife mime go without notice.

Interesting.

Deafdog on September 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

The media people know that the gesture just means “cut” – stop the camera, stop the scene, etc. It’s a very common gesture in the film and TV industry.

Gelsomina on September 7, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I hate westerns. Always have. They are all the same.
lorien1973 on September 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Even “Cowboys and Aliens”?

tommyboy on September 7, 2012 at 1:19 PM

tommyboy on September 7, 2012 at 1:13 PM

No, you missed the point of the whole movie. It was ALL camp. Hell, I didn’t even know Kirk Douglas could do comedy! Basic Roadrunner and Coyote all the way through.

It was in fact his fifth movie.

Hercules in New York 1969
The Long Goodbye 1973
Happy Anniversary and Goodbye 1974
Stay Hungry 1976
Streets of San Francisco (tv) 1977
San Pedro Beach Bums (tv) 1977
The Villain 1979

Scavenger Hunt 1979
The Jayne Mansfield Story 1980
Conan was next.

It is worth renting and watching again, just don’t expect a drama.

Tenwheeler on September 7, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Addendum to earlier post:

TROUBLE WITH THE CURVE. September 21st at a theater near you. PG13. Say “thank you” to Clint Eastwood. And wear your chair badge.

And then, week later, at a theater you may have to seek out:

THE OTHER DREAM TEAM. September 28th. Lithuanian basketball, The Grateful Dead, the 1992 Olympics. Great movie.

de rigueur on September 7, 2012 at 1:20 PM

de rigueur on September 7, 2012 at 1:12 PM

You’re kidding, right? You do know who you are dealing with?
Peeing all over the carpet without even bothering to ask to go outside is standard operating procedure for this one.

Who needs facts?

Tenwheeler on September 7, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Gelsomina on September 7, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Which began in radio. A silent signal from the engineer in the booth to the announcer to “cut it short,” get off the mic.

de rigueur on September 7, 2012 at 1:24 PM

AmeriCuda on September 7, 2012 at 11:17 AM

It’s not my type of movie and I don’t like JT, but I’ll make an exception for this one and any future movies he makes.

kim roy on September 7, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I missed nothing. The movie was essentially a live action road runner cartoon. Kirk Douglass did a good job of playing Wile E. Coyete. But Arnold (“Handsome Stranger”) was just horrible, cringe worthy. And I like Arnold but it is what it is.

tommyboy on September 7, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Clint’s message and speech, was masterful…look, we are still talking about it. What speech at the DNC will they be talking about weeks after? None.

right2bright on September 7, 2012 at 10:46 AM

They might be talking about the egg Obama laid last night and how he couldn’t even bother to have a fresh speech instead of the cut and paste one that he muttered out.

kim roy on September 7, 2012 at 1:28 PM

tommyboy on September 7, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Then we simply agree to disagree on that point. Hysterical movie.
“Sheriff’s coming…”

Tenwheeler on September 7, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Tenwheeler on September 7, 2012 at 1:30 PM

We both forgot the Arnold documentary “Pumping Iron” (1977) which is still my favority Swartzengger flick. (“I just give him the wrong advices”)

tommyboy on September 7, 2012 at 1:32 PM

You have to love that the person who caused the biggest stir at either convention gave his exclusive a week later to the Carmel Pine Cone. The Dems better get a 360 mirror to view the bruises, they got their azzes kicked and didn’t even notice.

Cindy Munford on September 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Don’t forget he timed it to come out the day after the dem’s convention.

kim roy on September 7, 2012 at 1:32 PM

What was not said about Eastwood?
Kevin Drum “Did Obama Phone It In?”, today on Mother Jones:
“It felt more like an actor soldiering through his lines.”

PaleoRider on September 7, 2012 at 1:32 PM

The most beautifully directed movie I’ve ever seen- The Bridges of Madison County. Clint Eastwood directs and stars, along with Meryl Streepe.

parteagirl on September 7, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Agreed. A complete 180° turn from the Man With No Name.

I read Waller’s book and loved it. When Clint Eastwood, of all people, announced he was making it into a movie I was sure he’d destroy the story.

As it turned out, the movie was even better than the book. Meryl Streep was excellent, though I’d like to have seen Cher (who campaigned vigorously for it) in the role of Francesca.

Eastwood even wrote the hauntingly beautiful music. A true tour de force.

The scene at the end when Meryl Streep is so close to getting out of the pickup truck is one of the most heartbreaking moments caught on film.

SmallGovtGuy on September 7, 2012 at 1:32 PM

tommyboy on September 7, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Eh, senior moment….

Tenwheeler on September 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM

That guy would make a great mayor for a town full of rich folks.

verbaluce on September 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Oh the horror. I’m sure most of us would rather live in a town full of poverty and squalor—-run by democrats.

arnold ziffel on September 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Tenwheeler on September 7, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Admiring people for their actual accomplishments is one thing. But what I was referring to was the idea that Clint Eastwood saves the nation the other poster was arguing. Yeah, he should be remembered for this speech, and his other accomplishments, but seriously, the man who saved the nation? That is pure progressive hero worship.

We have Romney the entrepenuer who will save the nation.

We have Ryan the man with a road map who will save the nation.

Now we have Clint Eastwood with an Empty chair who will save the nation.

Romney is progressive, he will rule as such.
Ryan’s road map is just a way to extend the bad policies of the past and push them forward along with their cost to the future generations. You do realize that his road map cuts in half the military by 2040 as a % of GDP? Along with the rest of the legitimate aspects of the Government all at the expense of increasing the % of GDP handed out in welfare checks for the illegitimate aspects of our government?
I missed the Eastwood speech, I will probably never watch it. When the Republican party starts acting conservative again, I will pay a bit more attention. Until then, I will just spend my time mocking the Obamification of the Republican party, Preservative since 2012. Preserving the socialist mistakes of the past so future generations may suffer so we won’t.

astonerii on September 7, 2012 at 1:35 PM

When you bring a chair to a shootout and the chair wins, well Mr. President, you’re just not getting it done.

starboard lookout on September 7, 2012 at 1:36 PM

kim roy on September 7, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I didn’t watch it, but I heard it was the 2008 speech warmed over without the energy or the Greek columns.

Bitter Clinger on September 7, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Well, Hoss, once you’ve seen that speech by Eastwood, trot on back here and we can have a legitimate coversation.

Really?

Tenwheeler on September 7, 2012 at 1:40 PM

kim roy on September 7, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Bitter Clinger on September 7, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Looked a little dark for an egg…..

Tenwheeler on September 7, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Bitter Clinger on September 7, 2012 at 1:37 PM

All of his speeches are warm-overs. Dan Henninger’s column in yesterday’s WSJ pointed out the exact same language from the 2008 acceptance being used in one Obama’s recent Ohio Oiho campaign stops.

de rigueur on September 7, 2012 at 1:41 PM

de rigueur on September 7, 2012 at 1:41 PM

If speeches were actions more people would have jobs.

Apologies to the original

Tenwheeler on September 7, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Mr. Eastwood, I hope you are reading this. Thank you for making history and providing your sage, comedic advice in our country’s time of great need.

I have missed many of your films but will begin to rent them ASAP and hope to see your latest, along with millions of other grateful Americans. May you continue to reap great rewards for your many contributions.

That guy would make a great mayor for a town full of rich folks.

verbaluce on September 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I’ll bet you don’t have any problem with liberal rich folks.

My ex-husband and I were married at the Highlands Inn in Carmel a very long time ago. We were in our 20′s and not rich. But we managed to eat at Clint’s old restaurant, the Hog’s Breath Inn (fabulous), visit the sea lions at Point Lobos, camp at Big Sur, visit Carmel’s beautiful beaches and view fabulous sights and art downtown. You don’t need A Fistful of Dollars for all that and more.

Mr. Eastwood has managed to now fix in my mind’s eye some beautiful memories of one of the most exquisite cities on Earth.

Very well done, sir! “Greatest hoax ever perpetrated,” indeed!

Opinionator on September 7, 2012 at 1:43 PM

astonerii on September 7, 2012 at 1:35 PM

What a crybaby you are. You don’t like the way things are going so you’ll take your ball and go home instead of working with the rest of us to make it better. Good. All you’ll do is get in the way and then try to take credit when the hard work is done. You almost sound like a… liberal…

As for Eastwood, he said something so basic, but so profound that a lot of people are too frightened or cowardly to say – it’s okay to fire a politician as they are working for us and *it’s okay*. He risked a lot of goodwill, possibly a LOT of money for the studio for his next movie and a bit of his legacy to do that. He deserves the thanks of each and every one one of us. What are you risking to get Obama out of office?

Yeah, I thought so.

kim roy on September 7, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I hate westerns. Always have. They are all the same.
lorien1973 on September 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Even “Cowboys and Aliens”?

tommyboy on September 7, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Hated Cowboys and Aliens. You can do a mashup without basing it on an utterly deranged premise: imagine if any of the traditional forces in conflict in a conventional western– cowboys and Indians, homesteaders and railroad magnates, townsfolk and cattle barons, sheriffs (or more usually, The Man With a Past) and outlaws, sheepherders and cattlemen– what if they all had just learned to get along with one another? They could have Won the West and defeated the aliens! (Might as well imagine Rodney King as the Sheriff in Blazing Saddles, while we’re at it.)

de rigueur on September 7, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Really?

Tenwheeler on September 7, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Yeah really. When the Party decides it really wants to make a better America, I will tune in, Pay In, Walk the rounds Again and hand my vote in.

As long as the mantra of the party is extending the failures of the past into the future, I could care less who is in charge, Republicans or Democrats. A speech by a non politician is not going to change the direction of America, a propaganda war is not going to educate American voters. Yeah, Obama sucks, big deal, why replace him with someone else who sucks, and by God, no word by an Actor is going to sway my vote. That is a progressive liberal Obamification of the party. They listen to actors as if they are political guru’s, we look at facts and reality.

astonerii on September 7, 2012 at 1:53 PM

jjraines on September 7, 2012 at 1:08 PM

How many recent interviews have you watched or heard Eastwood take part in? Noticed the clarity, the lack of mumbles and pauses, the quick mind?

Watch any of the old Bob Newhart bits lately?

When an actor is so convincing that you cannot tell he is acting he has reach his goal. Eastwood’s performance was so good he fooled you right along with a good portion of the pundits. Some now know they were fooled, but don’t want to admit it. Then again, others were not fooled, but choose to lie, and portray Eastwood as a fool and senile.

Yoop on September 7, 2012 at 1:54 PM

astonerii on September 7, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Great, you aren’t invited to the party…but then that’s pretty much the norm for you.

Tell us, did your mom put up with your little temper tantrums? WHAAAAAA!! WAAAAAAAAH!!! poor widdle baby, awwwwww….

right2bright on September 7, 2012 at 1:57 PM

A speech by a non politician is not going to change the direction of America, … and by God, no word by an Actor is going to sway my vote. astonerii on September 7, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Reagan was an actor. And Clint was a mayor.

tommyboy on September 7, 2012 at 1:58 PM

astonerii on September 7, 2012 at 1:53 PM

What, more whining, I bet your bed has holes above it on the wall from you kicking it and screaming…calm down their, time out little buddy…you won’t get any more candy…

right2bright on September 7, 2012 at 1:59 PM

What are you risking to get Obama out of office?

Yeah, I thought so.

kim roy on September 7, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I DON’T CARE IF OBAMA IS OUT OFFICE IF THE REPLACEMENT IS ROMNEY! Got it? Why the hell would I work to replace politician 100% radical leftist with politician 95% leftist? It is like replacing my broken cell phone that will not turn on with one that will turn on but does not function anyways.

“Oh look an R, VOTE FOR IT.”

astonerii on September 7, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I missed the Eastwood speech, I will probably never watch it.

astonerii on September 7, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Yet you have the ability to expound upon uselessness of the speech, in a thread about the success of the speech.

Remarkable…

Yoop on September 7, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Arriving here late. Curious about the rain thing in Charlotte:

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) – Not a single raindrop is falling from a nearly cloudless sky in Charlotte, N.C., as President Barack Obama begins delivering his nomination acceptance speech at the Democratic National Convention.

Obama took the stage at Time Warner Cable Arena on Thursday night about an hour after his motorcade whizzed by the empty and dark Bank of America Stadium where he originally had planned to deliver the speech.

Campaign officials decided earlier in the week to move indoors because of the chance of rain. Heavy rain did fall for a while in the afternoon, just about the time thousands of people would have started lining up to get into the 74,000-seat stadium.

Republicans claimed the Democrats were afraid they wouldn’t be able to fill the stadium. The arena seats about 15,000 people.

And,

avagreen on September 7, 2012 at 2:06 PM

right2bright on September 7, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Your whining about me will not effect my statements.

astonerii on September 7, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Oopsy, not good news for Bam.

Banal… dull… one of the emptiest speeches I have ever heard’: Critics savage Obama’s DNC address as he compares himself to Roosevelt and pleads for more time

Addresses crowd of 20,000 at convention in Charlotte, North Carolina
Compares economic crisis to Depression faced by Roosevelt
Launches sarcastic attacks on Republican platform

By Toby Harnden In Charlotte, North Carolina

avagreen on September 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Remarkable…

Yoop on September 7, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Show me where I said it was useless… I just said the hero worship was strong in you guys. You need a hero, and any tom dick or harry that comes along with some snake oil seems to fit the bill. Enjoy the loss of credibility your actions ensure. It might work to get My Views Are Progressive into office, it will not work once his progressive solutions are brought to bear on a nation that needs conservative solutions.

astonerii on September 7, 2012 at 2:11 PM

right2bright on September 7, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Having trouble not being accepted by me and having to act like a 9 year old are you?

astonerii on September 7, 2012 at 2:12 PM

cristie is a progressive, period. just look up his positions on any thing, loud mouth communist symp,

tm11999 on September 7, 2012 at 2:14 PM

jjraines on September 7, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Watch any of the old Bob Newhart bits lately?

Yoop on September 7, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Exactly. And I’m not so sure that Eastwood, a movie guy, wasn’t modeling himself on another awkward one-sided conversation that is one of the highlights of a brilliant political satire by a brilliant movie director.

de rigueur on September 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM

de rigueur on September 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Some people still don’t “get it”. Some people don’t want to “get it”. Then there are those people who are required to lie about “it”.

Yoop on September 7, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Bitter Clinger on September 7, 2012 at 1:37 PM

If you happened to listen to Rush today, the speech was literally Jimmy Carter 2.0 from the excerpts played. Obama cut and pasted almost the exact phrasing that Carter used at the Dem convention on Aug. 15, 1980.

As a plagiarist, that makes Obama on par with Biden.

PatriotGal2257 on September 7, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Thank you, Clint.

We will show our appreciation by “Clint-fil-A’ing” your new movie,”Trouble with the Curve” in September.

Typicalwhitewoman on September 7, 2012 at 2:29 PM

HAR! The HA distortion lens has gone full invert on this one. Clint makes an ass of himself… mission accomplished! I guess that’s why Ann Romney and Janna Ryan looked “stricken” while he was speaking. It was the sheer awesomeness!

Constantine on September 7, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Constantine on September 7, 2012 at 2:32 PM

And you, bless your heart, have gone full retard.

That’s OK – a little butthurt ’cause your Unicorn Prince phoned it in last night?

He’s toast, and he knows it. Now run along and get some more lubricant.

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on September 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM

astonerii on September 7, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Dokterr Paul is not winning. Neither is Gary Johnson.

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on September 7, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Constantine on September 7, 2012 at 2:32 PM

If we click on your You Tube link/screen name will we get “Rick rolled” or Hillary’s “Ahm a tard” speech?

arnold ziffel on September 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM

“Oh look an R, VOTE FOR IT.”

astonerii on September 7, 2012 at 2:00 PM

You honest to God believe that Romney is just as bad as Obama? A lot of people here sometimes forget that it’s not all about economics and that there is a big, bad world out there that hate the US. Obama’s done some serious damage there and if you think that another four years will be no biggie, then you have completely lost your mind.

You are no better than a leftist – only seeing your itty bitty world and not seeing that there’s the big picture out there and when it doesn’t go your way you pick yourself up and make the best of it.

I’d guess that 80+% of us wanted someone else. I bolded that because some people seem to willfully forget that.

Most of us are smart enough to realize that for the big picture Romney is infinitely better than another four years of Obama.

You, on the other hand, only see what’s directly in front of you and what’s good for you and can’t comprehend that there’s more than YOUR wants and needs in play.

Glad you finally admitted you are a braindead tw*t above just for trying to equal Romney to Obama.

kim roy on September 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM

That guy would make a great mayor for a town full of rich folks.

verbaluce on September 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Need a tissue?

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on September 7, 2012 at 2:48 PM

arnold ziffel on September 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Don’ do it Friend!!..It is worse than that!..:)

Dire Straits on September 7, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Constantine on September 7, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Did the school bus drop you off already?

kingsjester on September 7, 2012 at 2:59 PM

And you, bless your heart, have gone full retard.
He’s toast, and he knows it. Now run along and get some more lubricant.
ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on September 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM

You can tell yourself whatever you want, but the DNC quite clearly blew away the RNC and its cast of bumbling idiots. Romney will get crushed by at least 100 electoral votes.

I’ll leave it to a professional to comment on your preoccupation with the anus.

Constantine on September 7, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I’ll leave it to a professional to comment on your preoccupation with the anus.

Constantine on September 7, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Can you give me the winning lottery numbers, please?

Since you can see the future.

kim roy on September 7, 2012 at 3:02 PM

arnold ziffel on September 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Don’t do it Friend!!..It is worse than that!..:)

Dire Straits on September 7, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Fixed..:)

Dire Straits on September 7, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Don’ do it Friend!!..It is worse than that!..:)

Dire Straits on September 7, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Thanks sir, knew you had Pop’s six. :)

arnold ziffel on September 7, 2012 at 3:02 PM

astonerii on September 7, 2012 at 1:35 PM

“I’m Barack O’bamna, and I Approved this message!”

Del Dolemonte on September 7, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Schadenfreude on September 7, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Word, Shade.

Tenwheeler on September 7, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Hear Hear Schad! (:

SparkPlug on September 7, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Constantine on September 7, 2012 at 3:00 PM

You don’t read or get out much, do you?

The DNC is being talked about all over the country, by adults, as the biggest Freak Show in years.

Your party is out-of-touch and out of time.

Even your fellow Liberals are saying that your messiah blew it big time last night.

Put down the pipe, kid.

kingsjester on September 7, 2012 at 3:04 PM

HAR!

Constantine on September 7, 2012 at 2:32 PM

What’s the matter? Eat too much pickled squid for lunch?

And “100 electoral votes” is even more hallucinogenic.

Z—–

Del Dolemonte on September 7, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Constantine on September 7, 2012 at 2:32 PM

And you, bless your heart, have gone full retard.

He’s toast, and he knows it. Now run along and get some more lubricant.

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on September 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM

LOLZ. Good one ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse.

SparkPlug on September 7, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Constantine on September 7, 2012 at 3:00 PM

You don’t read or get out much, do you?

Your party is out-of-touch and out of time.

Put down the pipe, kid.

kingsjester on September 7, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Ouch. Connie gets smacked again. Nice Jester.

SparkPlug on September 7, 2012 at 3:07 PM

But it made Scott Walker cringe! I don’t know if I’m ever going to forgive him for that dumb remark.

BettyRuth on September 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Not a problem. Walker has been absolutely stellar in what is usually considered a fairly liberal state. He did exactly the right thing in distancing himself from Eastwood’s brutal critique of Zero. Remember, Walker’s main appeal to moderates of that state is his non-partisan motives.

We’re playing chess here, not checkers, and there are reform efforts moving on parallel tracks, Tea Party on one and mainstream Republican on another. For the same reason, I don’t believe Tea Partiers should become discouraged or outraged by the generally mild tone of the Convention as a whole which was aimed mainly at those in the squishy middle. Meanwhile Cruz, Mourdock and other worthy politicians have won in their primaries and are set now to win in the general. Much of what is happening is under the radar, and it’s better that way.

Burke on September 7, 2012 at 3:07 PM

arnold ziffel on September 7, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Anytime!!..:)

Dire Straits on September 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I found Clint’s simultaneous filming of Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima to be brilliant. He is a master at his craft.

Not an empty chair in the theater…

Fallon on September 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Burke on September 7, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Thank you. We’ll win by infiltration. That’s what the left doesn’t understand. They think they win by being the loudest. No. Winning is when you look around and 90% of the people around you are fellow travelers.

kim roy on September 7, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I’ll leave it to a professional to comment on your preoccupation with the anus.

The Anus on September 7, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I’m sorry I couldn’t respond sooner, my sides are still splitting from your 100 electoral votes “prediction”.

Think you may have it a wee bit backwards, champ.

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on September 7, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Constantine on September 7, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Ahh, Man, somebody changed the paper in the cage and the parrot got out…..

Tenwheeler on September 7, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I’ll leave it to a professional to comment on your preoccupation with the anus.

The Anus on September 7, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I’m no professional but you are the one with the moniker. Seems if anyone was preoccupied with an anus it would be yourself.

Tenwheeler on September 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Jim Carrey said it best in his AFI tribute to Clint.

“Every guy in this audience, at one time or another, has lived vicariously through Clint Eastwood and his mythological characters. He’s our Equalizer. He’s the one who could settle the score for us. The man that every man would love to be.

When a bully was pursuing you and pushing you around in the schoolyard, and you think to yourself, ‘Wow, there’s no justice,’ then you’d see a Clint Eastwood movie, and you’d realized that that bully grows up to become the guy who gets his butt kicked by The Man With No Name.

Y’know, it’s our salvation. I don’t know if they meant this–it’s just really a theory of mine–but I think the reason why he had no name, is so that we could fill in our own.”

Christien on September 7, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Constantine on September 7, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Dude !! The whole convention is for naught if the candidate blows the big speech.
And by all accounts, he blew it big time.
Even if he had delivered last night, the balloon was popped by this morning’s job report.

Jabberwock on September 7, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Those who piss and moan about Mr. Eastwood’s speech are so cocooned in their superior disdain that they don’t realize — they are driving the empty chair meme! The more they complain, the more they criticize, the more people take a second look. And a second look at anything having to do with Mr. Obama doesn’t help his cause.

So to donkeys like Chris Matthews and Lawrence O’Donnell and Ed Schultz, to DWS and whatever Democrat pulled crybaby duty today – don’t let up! Again and again to the barricades! Wail, bare your teeth, pull your hair! Give us your best eye-popping temple-bursting desperate-chest-clutch spittle-flecked performances! To Stewart and Colbert, joke about the empty chair, then joke again, run it into the ground! Pile it on, more and more. Do not let one American be ignorant of who Clint Eastwood endorses and who he mocks with an empty chair.

Do not go quiet into that dark November.
Spew, spew, against the dying Intrade ember!

Mr. Eastwood could care less.

DGB

Damian Bennett on September 7, 2012 at 3:27 PM

that would explain this:

Clint Eastwood’s rambling and off-color endorsement of Mitt Romney on Thursday night seemed to startle and unsettle even the candidate’s own top aides, several of whom distanced themselves from the decision to put him onstage without a polished script.

“Not me,” said a senior adviser, when asked who was responsible for Eastwood’s speech…..

….Aides variously called the speech “strange” and “weird.” Finger-pointing quickly ensued, suggesting real displeasure and even confusion over the handling of Eastwood’s performance, which was kept secret until the last minute.

A senior Republican involved in convention planning said that Eastwood’s appearance was cleared by at least two of Romney’s top advisers, Russ Schriefer and Stuart Stevens. This person said that there had been no rehearsal.

Read more: Romney aides distance themselves from Clint Eastwood’s RNC speech – The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/romney/ci_21447153/romney-aides-distance-themselves-from-clint-eastwoods-rnc#ixzz25oWK0d96

or this:

Appearing on a couple of morning network television shows Friday, potential First Lady Ann Romney sounded like she wanted her 12 minutes back. That would be the 12 minutes of prime television time the night before that her husband’s handlers handed to movie icon Clint Eastwood just before the climax of the Republican National Convention.
Eastwood, 82, turned the 720 precious seconds into a meandering walkabout through his (not entirely cogent) political beliefs. And Romney, in return, damned him with faint praise.

the lefties on Team Mitt were confused about the speech.

unseen on September 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Maybe we should just start replying with classic Clint lines to our sad-sack trolls.

On second thought, it might be poor form to get banned before the election.

Christien on September 7, 2012 at 3:29 PM

“Not me,” said a senior adviser, when asked who was responsible for Eastwood’s speech.

Aides variously called the speech “strange” and “weird.”

Another adviser said that several top aides had reviewed talking points given to Eastwood, which the campaign had discussed with the actor as recently as a few hours before his appearance. Eastwood, however, delivered those points in a theatrical, and at times crass, way that caught Romney aides off guard, this person said.

Stevens said he would not discuss internal decision-making but described Eastwood’s remarks as improvised. “He spoke from the heart with a classic improv sketch which everyone at the convention loved,” Stevens said.

Initially, there were no plans for Eastwood to take a chair onstage as a prop. But at the last minute, the actor asked the production staff backstage if he could use one but did not explain why.

“Mr. President, how do you handle promises that you made when you were running for election?” the onetime Dirty Harry said.

As thousands of tweets started flying, Eastwood, 82, asked the invisible Obama why he had not closed the prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

“What do you mean, shut up?” he said, continuing to talk to his imaginary companion. A moment later, he stopped again, saying, “What do you want me to tell Mr. Romney?”

“I can’t tell him that. He can’t do that to himself,” Eastwood said. “You’re getting as bad as Biden.”

Leonard Hirshan, Eastwood’s manager, said the actor was traveling and would not be available for interviews.

Eastwood delivered one of the more unusual moments in Republican convention history — a speech in which he pretended to have a sarcasm-filled conversation with President Barack Obama sitting by his side in an empty chair.

You know, if you delete the suppositions, obviuos inflections, felt like its, seems likes, and all the other objective reporting adjectives and adverbs, I see strange, weird, and crass. Everything else is the Denver Post’s version of how they want their readers to see Eastwood’s speech.

Normal media manipulation.

Tenwheeler on September 7, 2012 at 3:41 PM

LOL. It’s like that Rand Simberg’s Iowahawk testimonial. Pro tip for the Obots:

“Next time [Clint] beats up on you, just take it. If you try to fight back, it only gets worse. It’s like one of those monsters that, the harder you fight it, the stronger it gets, because it actually feeds on your pathetic swats.”

Christien on September 7, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Very well done, sir! “Greatest hoax ever perpetrated,” indeed!
Opinionator

Same here. my ex and I were married at Highlands Inn. He was very rich.

Went for a gourmet honeymoon eating at Hogsbreath for Clint, Sardine Factory, Fleur owned by Chef Keller and the Carnelian Room in SFO and French Laundry in Sonoma County.

I’m poor now, but happily married to my IT hubbie.

Gave $50 to Mitt this morning using half of my daughter’s birthday present which is a hardship.

Saddled with $90,000 of her school loans…she went for her Masters in Accounting but regrets it, wishing she stayed a secretary.

She even has a great job at Deloitte, a great accounting firm, but can’t make it with those loans.

I only learned about these loans 3 months ago when she confessed she was under water.

I’ll receive my first Social Security check next month and half will go to help her out. UGH!

Typicalwhitewoman on September 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I got a good chuckle when I heard this morning on Rush about the interview with the Carmel Pinecone. I still remember as a kid in the 80s my mother and her “Clint for Mayor” button. Carmel is a great town most of the time. Lots of fond memories there as a kid and of the Monterey area.

oryguncon on September 7, 2012 at 4:28 PM

arnold ziffel on September 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Ahem (cough..cough) Detroit (cough..cough).

For a full-flavored, rich, democRAT experience.

Solaratov on September 7, 2012 at 4:47 PM

astonerii on September 7, 2012 at 1:35 PM

And, I’ll bet you believe that your sh!t don’t stink, either…don’t you, lil feller.

Well, cupcake, you’re wrong about that, too.

Solaratov on September 7, 2012 at 4:53 PM

, we look at facts and reality.

astonerii on September 7, 2012 at 1:53 PM

You got a gerbil in your pants?

Solaratov on September 7, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Hate westerns. Love war movies.

“Where Eagles Dare” and “Kelly’s Heroes” are my favorites.

Watch them every single war memorial holiday, along with “The Dirty Dozen” and all John Wayne war movies…”Fighting CeeBees’s, “Bataan”. Watched all this with my brother gowing up.

I actually watched “The Good, Bad and The Ugly” a few days ago…copious weed needed…but he was a reluctant hero, even way back when.

Will give back to Clint and watch and rent his movies.
Will see you in September, Clint.

Courageous when you know you’ll be Palinized, even at 82!

Typicalwhitewoman on September 7, 2012 at 5:23 PM

ONE “TAKE” Clint!!

A true Walk off GRAND SLAM Home RUN!

Learn it
Live it
LOVE it
GTF over it!!!!

Katfish on September 7, 2012 at 5:27 PM

de rigueur on September 7, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Somewhat.
But lots of places out there began as something.
I know the craftsman Merv Griffin had a lovely place there.
Regardless, one should never miss the opp to spend the day at Point Lobos.
Beautiful place to spend the day just chatting with an empty chair.

verbaluce on September 7, 2012 at 5:28 PM

astonerii — you’ve missed a great performance, and maybe you never will understand.

I think you have to have been at least exposed to some of the old comedy greats to really “get” what Mr. Eastwood did. Red Shelton. George Burns. Jack Benny. Bob Newhart. Jackie Gleason. There are many others, and many films that can be mentioned as well. I never saw Will Rogers, but I heard recordings. Someone talking to a phone, a tree, a window, … the audience’s mind fills in the missing parts, because they’ve already been there in their own lives. It’s a very intimate form of comedy, that relies on understanding the human condition, rather than the shock value of language, for the laugh.

I’ve always admired Eastwood’s work, I think he’s one of the world’s foremost artists. I did not know he could do an improv standup routine, but he did, and he killed with it.

htom on September 7, 2012 at 6:22 PM