Eastwood: Mission accomplished

posted at 10:41 am on September 7, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

It’s been a week since Clint Eastwood stepped off the stage at the Republican convention, creating a lot of headscratching among political analysts but also an enduring vision of Barack Obama.  The former mayor of Carmel has remained silent since, preferring to let his performance speak for itself.  Today, though, the local newspaper Carmel Pine Cone published an exclusive interview with the Hollywood legend, who says he did exactly what he intended — to expose Barack Obama as “the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people” (via Instapundit):

But in a wide-ranging interview with The Pine Cone Tuesday, he said he had conveyed the messages he wanted to convey, and that the spontaneous nature of his presentation was intentional, too.

“I had three points I wanted to make,” Eastwood said. “That not everybody in Hollywood is on the left, that Obama has broken a lot of the promises he made when he took office, and that the people should feel free to get rid of any politician who’s not doing a good job. But I didn’t make up my mind exactly what I was going to say until I said it.”

Eastwood’s appearance at the convention came after a personal request from Romney in August, soon after Eastwood endorsed the former Massachusetts governor at a fundraiser in Sun Valley, Idaho. But it was finalized only in the last week before the convention, along with an agreement to build suspense by keeping it secret until the last moment. …

“President Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people,” Eastwood told The Pine Cone this week. “Romney and Ryan would do a much better job running the country, and that’s what everybody needs to know. I may have irritated a lot of the lefties, but I was aiming for people in the middle.”

Be sure to read it all, but this is also a keeper:

Eastwood said people, including reporters, who were shocked by his remarks “are obviously on the left,” and he maintained that, while many Americans didn’t like the way he handled his convention appearance, millions more have something else on their minds.

“A lot of people are realizing they had the wool pulled over their eyes by Obama,” Eastwood said.

And they’re still talking about it today.  I doubt that will be true of Scarlett Johansson or Kerry Washington, who delivered brief and banal remarks at the Democratic convention last night.  Johansson is an A-lister, but it’s not exactly shocking news when a Hollywood celebrity endorses a Democrat for … well, anything.  Few would have tuned in to see what they had to say, and the networks didn’t carry their speeches anyway.  Eastwood’s inclusion in the prime-time slot for the last night of the convention was intended to draw the curious to see what he’d say in support of Mitt Romney — and have them stick around for the candidate afterward.

That’s also mission accomplished.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

So I had to wikipedia this city and I dont understand the playing up of Clint being a past mayor of Carmel-By-The-Sea, California. Its a mile long beach city with over 3,000 people. But yea its more political exp than ScarJo has.

saL on September 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Carmel politics had increasingly become a microcosm of what we see nationally from the progressives.

Led by then Mayor Charlotte Townsend, the City Council was passing hair brained, social engineering ordinances with the topper being a prohibition against eating ice cream cones outside the ice cream store – a move to protect the pristine condition of the sidewalks.

Carmel was well on its way to becoming a fascist retreat when Mr. Eastwood won election easily and in his two year term, turned it all around.

Carmel is a liberal bastion but still has to survive on tax revenues so common sense kinda won the day.

Mr. Eastwood pretty much put it all on the line in the late eighties and was wildly successful. His street cred here is off the charts.

oldfiveanddimer on September 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM

WHAT!!!

Cindy Munford on September 7, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I hate westerns. Always have. They are all the same.

lorien1973 on September 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Right turn Clyde.

Buttercup on September 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM

^^^^^hairy up twinkles^^^^^

bettycooper on September 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM

jimver on September 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Can’t say about the mannequins but the dummies were a sure thing.

Cindy Munford on September 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I’m not a fan of his westerns. Gran Torino is like buttered toast – I love that movie.

lorien1973 on September 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM

It was a great movie, but my favorite will always be The Beguiled. When he wakes up and sees that his leg is gone? Yikes!

BettyRuth on September 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM

and houseplants…..don’t forget those.

ted c on September 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Hey what about all those corpses who voted? They deserve seats. And don’t forget they are in the navy too.

Deanna on September 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Clint made my day.

Bitter Clinger on September 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

…made my week, my month, the election!…and he doesn’t let the criticism get to him…he knows what he did…and most of us know too!

KOOLAID2 on September 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM

lorien1973 on September 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I don’t think the premise is very different in any genres where good battles evil. I have forgiven Clint for Sandra Locke and that is all that is important.

Cindy Munford on September 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Effing genius.

Knew it :)

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on September 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I hate westerns. Always have. They are all the same.

lorien1973 on September 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Have you ever seen ‘A Fistful of Dollars”?

Or the “Outlaw Josie Wales?

Or “Hang em High??

These three movies are not the same.

ToddPA on September 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM

And don’t forget they are in the navy too.

Deanna on September 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Where do you think the Marines get their few good men : )

oldfiveanddimer on September 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM

what appeared to be a simple, ill-prepared and doddering speech by a celeb has helped deliver a thunderous hammerblow to the feet of clay that is Obama.

this…..THIS…...is mastery.

If you read Sun Tzu, the Art of War, Mr. Eastwood certainly has displayed a deep understanding of Master Tzu’s teachings in this performance….a few notable quotes.

Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent’s fate.
Sun Tzu

For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Sun Tzu

ted c on September 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM

The most beautifully directed movie I’ve ever seen- The Bridges of Madison County. Clint Eastwood directs and stars, along with Meryl Streepe.

parteagirl on September 7, 2012 at 11:26 AM

BTW, I wonder if there are any negative ramifications to his wife’s show on E! Network. I figured they would cancel it. However, it may get a ratings spike from conservatives now. Not sure if Clint even appears on it. Never seen it.

Brat on September 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

“Mrs. Eastwood & Company” had already finished its first season a few weeks before the convention. By the time of the convention, E! was only airing occasional reruns, mostly in late-night time slots. So I doubt the convention will have any effect on how E! renews the show or not.

Clint didn’t appear in most of the episodes, and when he did it was only for a brief appearance, so I wouldn’t recommend the show to Clint’s fans or to conservatives wanting to support him.

As a couple of other people have said, if you want to show support for Clint, go to his movie “Trouble with the Curve” when it opens in 2 weeks (Sept. 21), and help the movie have a big opening weekend at the box office.

J.S.K. on September 7, 2012 at 11:26 AM

You know the photo of the 7th day of November will be? An empty chair in the Oval office…mark my words, that will be the photo op of they day after the election.

right2bright on September 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I think you’re wrong. At least as far as the WaPo is concerned. The big above the fold photo will be of some moron crying that the hope and change is over with a tiny little photo below the fold of Romney’s victory speech. Conversely, if the rat-eared bastard gets a second term, the large picture will be of the victor and a theme of “comeback kid.”

Happy Nomad on September 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM

lorien1973 on September 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I think the Spaghetti Westerns were more notable as a very risky career path rather than quality. Although it is hard to beat “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly”, even the music is cool.

Cindy Munford on September 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Don’t forget Empty Chair even had a Teleprompter and it appeared to be turned sideways! I wish the networks would have shown the whole thing instead of just close ups of Eastwooding! It would have been even more hillarious and more would have figured it out!

ConcealedKerry on September 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM

BettyRuth on September 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I like that one, too…I wasn’t expecting much based on the premise, but it was good. Play Misty for Me is also a favorite of mine.

changer1701 on September 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM

That article made my day! He went back to his hotel and went to bed, got up the next day and flew in his private plane back to California all without knowing he was the talk of the nation.

Can’t wait to see his new movie!

Naturally Curly on September 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM

How do we thank Clint Eastwood?

earlgrey133 on September 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Go see his movie that comes out this month…I think in a week or so.

shomegirl on September 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Mr Eastwood is probably a lot smarter than even WE give him credit for.

I was a fan — but now..for life!

The War Planner on September 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM

What is going on here, anyway?

The Republicans got the country saved by actor before.

You Godly ones pray that the description of President Obama remains as harmless as “hoax”.

IlikedAUH2O on September 7, 2012 at 11:28 AM

What ever happened to Batty White speaking to contrast Clint at the Dem convention? Maybe she knows Barrack is an Empty Chair too.

maddmatt on September 7, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I meant Betty White

maddmatt on September 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Hopefully, this speech will continue to have legs as Clint starts his promo round of talk shows for his new movie, Trouble with the Curve, opening Sept. 21. Surely, his convention appearance will come up during his interviews, since it’s still be talked about!

parteagirl on September 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Big Hollywood posted an entry yesterday noting that some in the media already are trying to take down “Curve” by inferring Eastwood’s RNC speech will cause people to not go to the movie…

…which has been true about movies done by liberals who go on tirades right before their films are released, but

A.) You never hear the media making the same connections, even after the film flops, between the actor’s liberal ideology and the lack of ticket-buyers, and;

B.) It didn’t take then long to forget the Chick-fil-A demonization backlack, did it? It never occurs to the liberals in the media that while Clint’s cementing the empty chair analogy to Barack Obama for life may cause people in New York, D.C. or California to shun the movie, “Curve” may more than make up for that because of people who will see in in flyover country in part due to the speech (and the treatment Eastwood’s probably going to get from some of the interviewers during his upcoming promotional tour, which is going to be akin to the grilling Rosie O’Donnell gave Tom Selleck about his NRA membership).

jon1979 on September 7, 2012 at 11:30 AM

When the history of these 2012 conventions is written, I think there will be three items of note.
1) Clint Eastwood and the Empty Chair
2) Democrats booing God
3) Democrats overshadowing their own candidate.

The general theme will be that the Dem party was leaderless, out of touch and out of control.

Jabberwock on September 7, 2012 at 11:31 AM

saL on September 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

So Eastwood has more executive experience than little Bammie did when he was elected in 2008.

slickwillie2001 on September 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM

“the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people”

Also, he’s the Affirmative Action President. As in — “Let’s give the black guy a chance to be President and see what he can do. Nevermind he has no experience at doing anything whatsoever except community organizing. He sounds smart.”

Lot’s of people who previously called themselves Republicans fell for it.

farsighted on September 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Thanks. I have never seen a Clint Eastwood movie (I know, I know)

earlgrey133 on September 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

You should rent the Dirty Harry series. I had never seen any of those until just last year. I can see why the films caused a stir in leftist Hollywood. They spoke to middle America’s frustration with liberalism, while also telling a good story.

And if you REALLY want to see Eastwood in a different light, rent Paint Your Wagon, a MUSICAL WESTERN he did with Lee Marvin. It’s one of my favorite movies ever. It’s hilarious. And young Clint Eastwood is HOT. :)

Nicole Coulter on September 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Never thought I’d ever have a terrible crush on an 82 year old man but I think I’m in love….

katy on September 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM

These remarks are even better than his convention riff. He puts it simply because it is simple: Obama is a destructive fraud who must go.

rrpjr on September 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I meant Betty White

maddmatt on September 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Betty White never said she planned to come to the DNC, nor did the DNC announce her as a planned speaker. I think it was just a Facebook-type movement where people wanted the DNC to get her as a speaker, to represent someone who was even older and more popular than Eastwood.

Betty herself did say earlier this year that she supported Obama for re-election, but she never said anything about wanting or planning to come to the DNC.

J.S.K. on September 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I wonder what the plane ride home was like for Scooter last night?

I wonder if Mooch was giving him what for?

Thank you, Mr. Eastwood. Your performance will go down in history as a pivotal moment in the 2012 Presidential Election.

kingsjester on September 7, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I meant Betty White

maddmatt on September 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM

..think you had it right the first time.

The War Planner on September 7, 2012 at 11:36 AM

.44 Magnum tends to do that to a guy…..

ted c on September 7, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Somehow, I don’t think that the lefties who are going batshiat crazy over the speech are people who were going to be seeing the movie anyway.

Clint’s arrangement with Warner Brothers has generally been “do one crowd-pleaser for us and you can do one personal project in return.” Curve seems like more of a crowd-pleaser and likely will have appeal to “flyover country”.

teke184 on September 7, 2012 at 11:36 AM

J.S.K. on September 7, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I’ve seen a few of the re-runs. The show is mainly about the wife’s attempt to have a career managing a boy band. Clint’s daughters are cute and personable, but the wife seems like a bit of a flake.

I didn’t find the show to be that interesting. Mainly watched (what little I saw) to see what Clint’s family and his home were like. The dramas involving the boy band members, and even the blond daughter’s weird boyfriend, seemed contrived and were pretty dull, IMO.

AZCoyote on September 7, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Lot’s of people who previously called themselves Republicans fell for it.

farsighted on September 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM

That’s a lesson for Americans, Affirmative Action has consequences.

You wake up on your back, with bright lights overhead. Someone tells you you’ve had a heart attack and need an immediate bypass operation. You have a choice of doctors, a 45 year old black heart surgeon that got into and through medical school on Affirmative Action, or a Jew. Choose carefully.

Why would we want an affirmative action president?

slickwillie2001 on September 7, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Step Two:

Should spoiled brat B. Obama say ugly things about Clint in public over this later,

Clint,

” If your f’n wanting to talk to me drop by in person, make my day.”

APACHEWHOKNOWS on September 7, 2012 at 11:37 AM

The one thing that Clint did that I thought he was going to catch heck for was when he delivered the line, “you gotta let him go” he ran his finger across his throat (a la a knife cut).

Deafdog on September 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I wonder where you got that?! Personally, I read that at HuffPo. I was confused, because I didn’t remember Eastwood making that gesture.

So, I went back to look at it again.
As far as I can tell, he does not make any gesture on that line.

Here it is, cued-up to the line. Where is this “throat-cutting gesture”?

RedCrow on September 7, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Short version here in Texas…

“”!You F’N Talking to Me??”"!!

APACHEWHOKNOWS on September 7, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Nicole Coulter on September 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Absolutely, the Dirty Harry movies were a deep strike against San Francisco liberalism and bed-wetting bleeding-heart liberalism.

slickwillie2001 on September 7, 2012 at 11:40 AM

“President Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people,”

That’s money right there.

Damn.

I need a cold shower :)

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on September 7, 2012 at 11:41 AM

saL on September 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I included the mention mainly to explain why he gave the exclusive to the Carmel Pine Cone.

Ed Morrissey on September 7, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Sometimes a man has got to know his limitations – Clint Eastwood

Who knew that line so many years back would perfectly describe our President.

Thank you, Mr Eastwood, you may have singlehandedly saved the US.

SmallGovtGuy on September 7, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I hope someone snags that chair and puts it in the Smithsonian so it can mock every f’n Obama voter that every goes through there in eternal damnation……

the apoplexy will be rampant for generations to come…

ted c on September 7, 2012 at 11:42 AM

RedCrow on September 7, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Ah. My bad. He does do it after the crowd is cheering, when he reiterates the phrase, “Let him go.”

I think the clips of it that I watched had the crowd on camera when he did that.

So, Deafdog, you’re right. I would agree with you also that it’s weird that the LSM did not go berserk about that.

My apologies.
(Fastest retraction ever? Lol.)

RedCrow on September 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I hate westerns. Always have. They are all the same.

lorien1973 on September 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Have you ever seen ‘A Fistful of Dollars”?

Or the “Outlaw Josie Wales?

Or “Hang em High??

These three movies are not the same.

ToddPA on September 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Hang ‘Em High is brilliant, a great observation on the difference between justice, revenge, and the law. I’d include Unforgiven, one of the few Best Picture Oscars I agree with.

Ed Morrissey on September 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM

My mom used to groan because my dad would drag her to any and every movie theater where “A Fistful of Dollars” was playing.

ted c on September 7, 2012 at 11:46 AM

As you check out, they’ll give you a “Man Card” receipt.

WisRich on September 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Ha Ha. I don’t want a man card reciept. I am a girl. Not a Fluke girl actually, a grown up woman. Does that help explain the Eastwood thing? THanks for the laugh.

earlgrey133 on September 7, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Eastwood: B-S-E-T E-E-V-R

Nutstuyu on September 7, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Ed Morrissey on September 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Agreed. Very good summary of Hang em High, BTW

ToddPA on September 7, 2012 at 11:50 AM

That’s a lesson for Americans, Affirmative Action has consequences.

Why would we want an affirmative action president?

slickwillie2001 on September 7, 2012 at 11:37 AM

What, no Indian who got his MD while working at 7-11?

Nutstuyu on September 7, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Thanks. I have never seen a Clint Eastwood movie (I know, I know), but I’ll go see it just because I am so grateful. Besides there are so many Hollywood celebs turning me off their work that I am running out of stuff to see.

earlgrey133 on September 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Whoa!! Like finding a virgin on the Sunset Strip.

OK, since you haven’t seen on, I highly recommend you start with “Gran Torino” (2008). Not only is it excellent, but buried in it are a lot of the themes currently roiling America. As it is close to the present, you will see Eastwood as he is now – an old man – and appreciate the social commentary. Then later you can work your way back through “Unforgiven” (1992) and then back through the “Dirty Harry” movies and then the “spaghetti westerns.”

You’ll see some good movies!

cane_loader on September 7, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Ed Morrissey on September 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Agreed. Very good summary of Hang em High, BTW

ToddPA on September 7, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Addendum:

Hang em High had a classic portrayal of a true Psycho
by a young Bruce Dern.

ToddPA on September 7, 2012 at 11:53 AM

“President Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people,”

Some of us were not deceived in 2008; we knew full well that Hopey Changy was a hoax. But even we didn’t know the full meaning of “fundamentally transform America” until February of 2009. At that point, the Tea Party stood up. And we will send this liar back to Chicago.

Christian Conservative on September 7, 2012 at 12:02 PM

saL on September 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Ed Morrissey on September 7, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Everybody knows Clint Eastwood, world-famous actor and director. If you’ve lived around the Monterey Bay area, you also know a slightly different Clint Eastwood. He’s also a local businessman. When the city of Carmel gave him the run-around about one of his businesses, he ran for mayor, won, served the city very well for one term and left government service. A few years later, one of the local TV stations sent their anchorwoman, Dina Ruiz out to interview him. They fell in love and were married. It’s entirely possible that you would run into them on the street in Carmel or Monterey. By and large, the locals absolutely love them. That the Carmel Pine Cone would get the first interview with Clint after his speech is just perfect.

trigon on September 7, 2012 at 12:04 PM

earlgrey133 on September 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I haven’t seen that many Eastwood flicks, but definitely check out:

In the Line of Fire
Unforgiven
Million Dollar Baby
Dirty Harry
Gran Torino
The episode of Mr. Ed he guest-starred on

Ok, kidding about that last one, but I do recall seeing that as a kid on Nick at Nite. Mystic River got a lot of praise, but I personally think it’s a very overrated film.

Doughboy on September 7, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I hate westerns. Always have. They are all the same.

lorien1973 on September 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Have you ever seen ‘A Fistful of Dollars”?

Or the “Outlaw Josie Wales?

Or “Hang em High??

These three movies are not the same.

ToddPA on September 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM

If you haven’t seen it, run to Red Box and rent Rango. I took my grandchildren to it, and nearly wet myself laughing at each and every riff on Eastwood’s Spaghetti Westerns. My grandkids thought I’d lost my mind.

catsandbooks on September 7, 2012 at 12:08 PM

jon1979 on September 7, 2012 at 11:30 AM

They had better be careful, Eastwood has the ability to crush them with a look.

VegasRick on September 7, 2012 at 12:10 PM

This election will forever be remembered as the “empty chair” election.

Tater Salad on September 7, 2012 at 12:13 PM

parteagirl on September 7, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Agreed. A complete 180° turn from the Man With No Name.

I read Waller’s book and loved it. When Clint Eastwood, of all people, announced he was making it into a movie I was sure he’d destroy the story.

As it turned out, the movie was even better than the book. Meryl Streep was excellent, though I’d like to have seen Cher (who campaigned vigorously for it) in the role of Francesca.

Eastwood even wrote the hauntingly beautiful music. A true tour de force.

creeper on September 7, 2012 at 12:15 PM

But for the word chalatanry I was just quoted by Clint Eastwood…oh. Reality sets in.

“President Obama is the greatest hoax/(charlatanry) ever perpetrated on the American people.”

——–
However, Canada just closed her embassy in Iran. As I’ve written here, often, in Sept/Oct. Obama will start a ‘war’ with Iran, to divert the fools from his utter failures. It’s happeining in front of your eyes. Don’t be fooled, again.

Schadenfreude on September 7, 2012 at 12:21 PM

The Empty Suit in the Empty Chair will start a war with Iran, possibly with Syria too, just to win.

Schadenfreude on September 7, 2012 at 12:23 PM

this…..THIS……is mastery.

“There’s two kinds of convention speakers in this world, Tuco. Those who people remember and Scarlett Whatshername.”

tommyboy on September 7, 2012 at 12:24 PM

How do we thank Clint Eastwood.

earlgrey133 on September 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM
——————————-

Go see his movie that comes out this month…I think in a week or so.

shomegirl on September 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Good idea. We need to have a Clint Eastwood Day!! November 7, 2012 Lord willing.

bluefox on September 7, 2012 at 12:24 PM

“Whupped em agan, eh Josey?”
“Yeah, we whupped em again Kid”

tommyboy on September 7, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Man, you’ve just gotta love that Clint timed this interview to come out the morning after the Hoax’s big speech.

Masterful.

Oh, and to his leftie detractors. Careful with all your talk of a doddering old white guy. All Clint has to do is a short one-liner, looking spiffy and squinting his eyes, and your attempts to marginalize him will be shown for how pitiful and desperate they are.

I figure: If you’ve got your opponent fighting Clint Eastwood…you’re in pretty good shape.

jeanneb on September 7, 2012 at 12:28 PM

ToddPA on September 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I always liked “For a Few Dollars More” as well.
Classic.

Buttercup on September 7, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Clint last Thursday…..theory
Jobs report today……proof

he couldn’t have timed it better

breffnian on September 7, 2012 at 12:31 PM

How do we thank Clint Eastwood.

earlgrey133 on September 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM
——————————-

Go see his movie that comes out this month…I think in a week or so.

shomegirl on September 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM

TROUBLE WITH THE CURVE SEPTEMBER 21st. PG13

Be there. What we owe this man is incalculable. Breitbart understood. We’ve got to retake the culture, and Eastwood has taken the beachhead. Reinforcements on the way.

de rigueur on September 7, 2012 at 12:32 PM

They had better be careful, Eastwood has the ability to crush them with a look.

VegasRick on September 7, 2012 at 12:10 PM

We’re talking sanctimonious liberal TV interviewers here, looking more for high-fives from their peers and possible career advancement. They’ll never know what’s going to hit them as they go in thinking they can treat Eastwood like your average Republican congressional candidate, because they’re the ones with all the media savvy.

jon1979 on September 7, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Clint Eastwood, Actor, Director, Academy Award Winner, Former Mayor, American Patriot.

jrgdds on September 7, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I confess having been very concerned with the manner in which Clint presented himself at the RNC. Looks like the libs have not tried to take him on yet, as I believed they would. He is not as easy a target for them as I thought he might be. I am very glad to have been wrong on that.

His appearance is still being talked about and is perhaps the most memorable one out of both conventions. You can’t argue with results.

I was planning to see his upcoming movie, anyway, but now I will have even more resolve to do so.

OneVision on September 7, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Nicole Coulter on September 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I like you already…..

Tenwheeler on September 7, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Ed Morrissey on September 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM

It was neither a Western nor a Dirty Harry vehicle, but “In The Line of Fire” deserves mention, too. It was a tremendous thriller.

Right Mover on September 7, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Happy Nomad on September 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM

“Rat-eared bastard.” God, I LOVE the English language…

And doesn’t Clint STILL look like he could bitch-slap pretty much anyone the Democrats had up on stage this week?

CaptFlood on September 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I haven’t seen that many Eastwood flicks, but definitely check out:

In the Line of Fire
Unforgiven
Million Dollar Baby
Dirty Harry
Gran Torino
The episode of Mr. Ed he guest-starred on

Doughboy on September 7, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Kelly’s Heroes. Gotta watch it every time it comes on. Disagree vehemently with Sutherland’s politics, but,”Always with the negative waves so early in the morning Moriarty..” Just cracks me up! “Woof-woof!”

A cast of thousands, kind of like Mad-Mad-World.

Tenwheeler on September 7, 2012 at 12:43 PM

oldfiveanddimer on September 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Yes there was the ice cream debacle but he ran for mayor because he got tired of having his business’ sued every month for ADA compliance. We have lawyers out here (Ca.)that do nothing but drive around looking for violations and then sue the unsuspecting business owner….It got out of hand (still is) so he ran for mayor and did something about it…

Go ahead make my ADA…

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

repvoter on September 7, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Truth always prevails. Eastwood, a man of integrity, that too always wins.

kenny on September 7, 2012 at 12:45 PM

ToddPA on September 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I always liked “For a Few Dollars More” as well.
Classic.

Buttercup on September 7, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Yes indeed! Everybody always mentions
the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Personally, my all time favorites are the 2 Dollar movies.

ToddPA on September 7, 2012 at 12:45 PM

1) Clint Eastwood and the Empty Chair
2) Democrats booing God
3) Democrats overshadowing their own candidate.

The general theme will be that the Dem party was still leaderless, out of touch and out of control.

Jabberwock on September 7, 2012 at 11:31 AM

FIFY..

Tenwheeler on September 7, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I have not seen a lot of Clint Eastwood movies, but the discussion here has awakened an impulse to see at least the Fistful and Clyde ones.

My favorite? Kelly’s Heroes.

Gene Hunt on September 7, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Social Security is a greater hoax. It and the rest of the socialist welfare state that goes along with it. Get rid of social security, and we could see a prosperous America like we had back in the 50′s and 60′s where 6.5% growth per year was attainable. Paying people to get out of the workplace and instead of producing begin mooching is bad for the economy all around, not to mention how bad it is for the morals and morale of the country as a whole.

But never fear, Romney and Ryan will ensure that the greatest real hoax of all time continues.

Republicans, Preservative since 2012. Preserving the socialism of the past for future generations.

astonerii on September 7, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I wonder what the plane ride home was like for Scooter last night?

I wonder if Mooch was giving him what for?

kingsjester on September 7, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Charles Napier in Blues Brothers comes to mind,
“Don’t you say a f#%$ing word!”

Tenwheeler on September 7, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I had the theme song from “the good, the bad and the ugly” as a ringtone on my last phone – time to put it on this one.

tru2tx on September 7, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I’ll say it again, Thank you Mr. Eastwood.

Masterful, comical, truthful, and talked about.

In Hollywood, that would be called a huge success (except it’s Conservative based).

PappyD61 on September 7, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Ed Morrissey on September 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM

..not to mention that Hang ‘em High featured Inger Stevens — one of the more beautiful and tragic starlets going.

By the way, it’s kinda fun when you hang out with us proles, Ed. Wish you could do it more often, but I realize your schedule is demanding!

The War Planner on September 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM

But it made Scott Walker cringe! I don’t know if I’m ever going to forgive him for that dumb remark.

BettyRuth on September 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

yep, Scott Walker is now on my elitist watch list.

PappyD61 on September 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM

That guy would make a great mayor for a town full of rich folks.

verbaluce on September 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM

My favorite? Kelly’s Heroes.

Gene Hunt on September 7, 2012 at 12:46 PM

The Outlaw Josie Wales….

repvoter on September 7, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I haven’t seen that many Eastwood flicks, but definitely check out:

In the Line of Fire
Unforgiven
Million Dollar Baby
Dirty Harry
Gran Torino
The episode of Mr. Ed he guest-starred on

Doughboy on September 7, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Heartbreak Ridge.

Hoo-rah!

Tenwheeler on September 7, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Lets not forget “Where Eagles Dare”

tommyboy on September 7, 2012 at 12:57 PM

My favorite? Kelly’s Heroes.

Gene Hunt on September 7, 2012 at 12:46 PM

“There you go again with those Negative Waves Moriorty!”

Love that movie!

ToddPA on September 7, 2012 at 12:57 PM

That guy would make a great mayor for a town full of rich folks.

verbaluce on September 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Care to beguile us with another blabbering, “fact” filled rant?

Tenwheeler on September 7, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Lets not forget “Where Eagles Dare”

tommyboy on September 7, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Very good….anybody remember Joe Kidd? Another great movie.

ToddPA on September 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Gran Torino is like buttered toast – I love that movie.

lorien1973 on September 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM

+1…especially because it portrayed the latrine the land is sliding into.

verbaluce is sure a latrine-rat.

Schadenfreude on September 7, 2012 at 1:01 PM

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is one of the greatest movies ever made, it truly is near perfect film making despite its genre and Sergio Leone used some filming techniques still used today (such as no off screen entrances in certain scenes, what the main characters sees is what the audience sees and when someone appears both the audience and the character are surprised.)

Then there is Once Upon A Time In The West which is Leone’s masterpiece. Bronson as the good guy and Fonda as the bad guy is absolutely perfect.

Daemonocracy on September 7, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Very good….anybody remember Joe Kidd? Another great movie.
ToddPA on September 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Yeah, who can forget Don Stroud – one of the great movie “punks”.

tommyboy on September 7, 2012 at 1:01 PM

May Eastwood go into history not as an actor/director, but as the man who saved the land, or who slowed down her demise.

Schadenfreude on September 7, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Anybody remember the airport scene in Magnum Force,
where he and his partner go for lunch after seeing the Rica
mod guys wiped out in the limo? The airport guy serving them
gets real graphic about the killings, then says he remembers
a guy who got it with an Ax. His very next statement is
“how about some Cream pie?” The Partner nearly hurls.

Classic dialogue.