Eastwood: Mission accomplished

posted at 10:41 am on September 7, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

It’s been a week since Clint Eastwood stepped off the stage at the Republican convention, creating a lot of headscratching among political analysts but also an enduring vision of Barack Obama.  The former mayor of Carmel has remained silent since, preferring to let his performance speak for itself.  Today, though, the local newspaper Carmel Pine Cone published an exclusive interview with the Hollywood legend, who says he did exactly what he intended — to expose Barack Obama as “the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people” (via Instapundit):

But in a wide-ranging interview with The Pine Cone Tuesday, he said he had conveyed the messages he wanted to convey, and that the spontaneous nature of his presentation was intentional, too.

“I had three points I wanted to make,” Eastwood said. “That not everybody in Hollywood is on the left, that Obama has broken a lot of the promises he made when he took office, and that the people should feel free to get rid of any politician who’s not doing a good job. But I didn’t make up my mind exactly what I was going to say until I said it.”

Eastwood’s appearance at the convention came after a personal request from Romney in August, soon after Eastwood endorsed the former Massachusetts governor at a fundraiser in Sun Valley, Idaho. But it was finalized only in the last week before the convention, along with an agreement to build suspense by keeping it secret until the last moment. …

“President Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people,” Eastwood told The Pine Cone this week. “Romney and Ryan would do a much better job running the country, and that’s what everybody needs to know. I may have irritated a lot of the lefties, but I was aiming for people in the middle.”

Be sure to read it all, but this is also a keeper:

Eastwood said people, including reporters, who were shocked by his remarks “are obviously on the left,” and he maintained that, while many Americans didn’t like the way he handled his convention appearance, millions more have something else on their minds.

“A lot of people are realizing they had the wool pulled over their eyes by Obama,” Eastwood said.

And they’re still talking about it today.  I doubt that will be true of Scarlett Johansson or Kerry Washington, who delivered brief and banal remarks at the Democratic convention last night.  Johansson is an A-lister, but it’s not exactly shocking news when a Hollywood celebrity endorses a Democrat for … well, anything.  Few would have tuned in to see what they had to say, and the networks didn’t carry their speeches anyway.  Eastwood’s inclusion in the prime-time slot for the last night of the convention was intended to draw the curious to see what he’d say in support of Mitt Romney — and have them stick around for the candidate afterward.

That’s also mission accomplished.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Hell yeah!

BigGator5 on September 7, 2012 at 10:43 AM

And the ‘rats were stupid enough to keep the Chair alive by going after Eastwood.

Their entire convention was a larger version of the Wellstone memorial, crazed people forgetting why they were really there and going…well…crazy.

Bishop on September 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Clint’s message and speech, was masterful…look, we are still talking about it. What speech at the DNC will they be talking about weeks after? None.

Clint’s words about firing inept politicians, rings with most all of America…not the liberals because they would have to fire Obama, but the rest of America? Without a doubt they support Clint’s premise.

Congrats Clint, the finest speech of either convention…every other speaker, before they stepped on the stage, we all knew what they were going to say…except for Clint, unscripted, loose, fun, and thoughtful.

right2bright on September 7, 2012 at 10:46 AM

President Empty Chair didn’t mention your 23,000,000 once Mr. Eastwood….you landed your punch.

Good job

harlekwin15 on September 7, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Clint Eastwood was brilliant.

darwin on September 7, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Hook. Line. And sinker.

Well done, sir. Well done. [slow golf clap]

Isn’t that how The Good, The Bad and The Ugly trilogy went? The bad guys not knowing what went wrong and why they were led into their own demise until it was too late?

LoganSix on September 7, 2012 at 10:46 AM

..hey, Ed, what am I? Chopped liver?

(Don’t answer that!)

The War Planner on September 7, 2012 at 10:46 AM

That wool pulled over the eyes has been lifted, thanks to Clint!

Conservalicious on September 7, 2012 at 10:46 AM

But it made Scott Walker cringe! I don’t know if I’m ever going to forgive him for that dumb remark.

BettyRuth on September 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

The chair will always be empty. Love it or hate it, Eastwood’s presentation will be impossible to ignore.

Freelancer on September 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

After all of the dust has settled, America is still talking about Clint’s speech. Not Michelle’s, not Bill’s, and certainly not Barack’s.

Mission accomplished, indeed.

Common Sense Floridian on September 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

He’s exactly right.

changer1701 on September 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Hoax and Sex Changes

faraway on September 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

That made my day. (Sorry…couldn’t resist.)

blowing smoke on September 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

It makes me want to pass a law against teleprompters and notes…force every speaker to use their own words…

right2bright on September 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM

…and he created a new verb: Eastwooding!!!! Well played, sir!

search4truth on September 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM

74,000 dry, empty chairs were taunting Obama last night.

faraway on September 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM

ROTFLMAO…Clint Eastwood brought a .44 Mahogany Chair to a Banana fight… The Fifth Column Treasonous Media is still trying to get the bells and stars to quit circling their heads, meanwhile Obama thinks he Joe Biden now.

SWalker on September 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM

So I had to wikipedia this city and I dont understand the playing up of Clint being a past mayor of Carmel-By-The-Sea, California. Its a mile long beach city with over 3,000 people. But yea its more political exp than ScarJo has.

saL on September 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

BettyRuth on September 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Yeah, that was disappointing.

changer1701 on September 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

How do we thank Clint Eastwood.

earlgrey133 on September 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Clint had me at “JAMF”

onetrickpony on September 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

when a man just ain’t doin’ the job, sometimes you just gotta let ‘em go….
/Clint

Yep, we are going to accomplish that Mission in November. Those 74K empty seats in that stadium were mocking the One Hit WonDer last night in silent amusement…….

ted c on September 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Clint was brilliant.

The one thing that Clint did that I thought he was going to catch heck for was when he delivered the line, “you gotta let him go” he ran his finger across his throat (a la a knife cut).

Turns out, the media was so angered by his overall performance they let the knife mime go without notice.

Interesting.

Deafdog on September 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Clint made my day.

Bitter Clinger on September 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I wish Clint could have looked at the chair and said this:

“Boy, you’re gonna look pretty silly with that knife stickin’ out of your a$$.”

It would have caused a banshee scream from the left, but it would have been hilarious.

AubieJon on September 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

You know the photo of the 7th day of November will be? An empty chair in the Oval office…mark my words, that will be the photo op of they day after the election.

right2bright on September 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

74,000 dry, empty chairs were taunting Obama last night.

faraway on September 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Oh yes, did it fail to rain in Charlotte last night???? Apparently so….

ted c on September 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

There’s still some wool left. Wait until people find out about Obama’s connection to Fast and Furious, and (someday… it could be a LONG time) what’s on his real birth certificate and why he falsified other documents. We’ll probably get the truth sooner or later, even if it’s not in my lifetime.

The Rogue Tomato on September 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM

It’s like how Picasso would draw a sketch on whatever was handy on the spur of the moment and then give it away. A lectern, an empty chair, 3 ideas, live in front of a million viewers, add a couple of classic movie lines and stir.

Paul-Cincy on September 7, 2012 at 10:52 AM

The day after—when even the conservative/Republican commentators were scratching their heads, I mentioned that the symbolism was brilliant. And with an entire stadium of emty chairs, we it was down right prophetic.

Empty suit in an empty chair—and isn’t it a riot that the President’s response was a picture of the prez with his back to the country.

Symbolism here is almost as deep as the hole President Empty has dug for us.

Portia46 on September 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM

How do we thank Clint Eastwood.

earlgrey133 on September 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM
——————————-

Go see his movie that comes out this month…I think in a week or so.

shomegirl on September 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I very glad he didn’t let the criticism bother him. I liked his speech so much I jumped on amazon an bought a copy of The Enforcer that same night. One of the only movies he’s been in or made that I didn’t already have. I love that guy.

Keyser-Soze on September 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM

“President Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people.”

Just enjoyed your tag line Ed. Thought it would be nice to see it again.

Bmore on September 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Obama and his minions felt lucky… and were exposed as punks.

wildcat72 on September 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM

You have to love that the person who caused the biggest stir at either convention gave his exclusive a week later to the Carmel Pine Cone. The Dems better get a 360 mirror to view the bruises, they got their azzes kicked and didn’t even notice.

Cindy Munford on September 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

BettyRuth on September 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Because Walker is a terrible public speaker.

He’s good in interviews and roundtable discussions, but has a conception as to what a stump speech is, which doesn’t understand theater.

budfox on September 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Oh yes, did it fail to rain in Charlotte last night???? Apparently so….

ted c on September 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Huge downpour! Can always use the rain.

Bmore on September 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I’d like to see conservative reporters take a copy of Eastwood’s remarks, hand the transcript and a marker to anyone who criticized Clint, and ask them to please mark which statements of Clint’s they disagree with, and explain why they disagree.

Then just wait for their heads to explode.

AZCoyote on September 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I usually have the “shut up and sing/act/etc” attitude no matter whether celebs have liberal or conservative views. But I really respect Clint for speaking at the convention. BTW, I wonder if there are any negative ramifications to his wife’s show on E! Network. I figured they would cancel it. However, it may get a ratings spike from conservatives now. Not sure if Clint even appears on it. Never seen it.

Brat on September 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Obama didn’t feel lucky…………..punk!

pilamaye on September 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Keyser-Soze on September 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I did almost the same thing, except instead of The Enforcer it was True Crime, about the only movie of his I haven’t seen. I hope Trouble with the Curve does good business in a couple weeks, too.

changer1701 on September 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Right turn Clyde.

Buttercup on September 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM

BettyRuth on September 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Yeah, that was disappointing.

changer1701 on September 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

All I would say is that I was laughing and cringing at the same time. I think he was cringing, like me, at the “What? I don’t think he can do that to himself?” remarks.

That’s on the edge for Wisconsin politics.

WisRich on September 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Huge downpour! Can always use the rain.

Bmore on September 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

really? so the dems were right?

ted c on September 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I don’t think it’s nice you laugh’n.
See my mule don’t like people laugh’n.
He get’s the crazy idea that you’re laugh’n at him.
Now if you apologize like I know you you’re going to,
I might convince him that you didn’t really meant it.

Deafdog on September 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM

shomegirl on September 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Thanks. I have never seen a Clint Eastwood movie (I know, I know), but I’ll go see it just because I am so grateful. Besides there are so many Hollywood celebs turning me off their work that I am running out of stuff to see.

earlgrey133 on September 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Bishop on September 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM

The convention was the final confirmation of their ‘LOSER’ mind-set… they gleefully ‘screwed the pooch’ at every possible opportunity.

The sole focus of this convention was their base… and the last time I looked, it ain’t 51% of the potential voters, more like 38-39% (max).

For the folks out in fly-over country, staring at the bills, the grocery shelves, and the gas pump… there was NADA for them to identify with.

Their only hope for victory is gathering enough morons, dead dog voters, felons, and non-citizens to carry the day.

If not, they’re toast.

CPT. Charles on September 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I don’t think it’s nice you laugh’n.
See my mule don’t like people laugh’n.
He get’s the crazy idea that you’re laugh’n at him.
Now if you apologize like I know you you’re going to,
I might convince him that you didn’t really meant it.

Deafdog on September 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM

my mistake….. you’re gonna need 4 coffins instead of 3……

ted c on September 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

How do we thank Clint Eastwood.

earlgrey133 on September 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Go see his new movie in record numbers.

gophergirl on September 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Cindy Munford on September 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

You posted exactly what I was going to post..

AS USUAL CINDY, SPOT ON.

ToddPA on September 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Deafdog on September 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I commented on that “throat slash” here after his speech but apparently it did not upset anyone and I expected the Libs to scream loudly about it. Then I also thought he made that gesture to quiet the crowd.

Brat on September 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Turns out the empty chair gave a better speech than Obama did.

After the Willy its all downhill.
Clinton had to have made deal, a big one, to do what he did.
Maybe he was offered an ambassadorship to a country with legal brothels.

Empty chair..Empty suit..Empty promises..Empty future.

Speakup on September 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I’m not impressed by celebs at all. Clint Eastwood impresses me. I would like to shake his hand one day and say thanks.

gophergirl on September 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Huge downpour! Can always use the rain.

Bmore on September 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM
really? so the dems were right?

ted c on September 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Its funny, there were no pictures of outside the arena last night or of the thousands of fans who coulnd’t get in to see “the One”.

Hmmm.

WisRich on September 7, 2012 at 11:02 AM

The Rogue Tomato

The sad part is that we will never get to the bottom of any of this. The powers that be will just sweep it under the rug and say “move along”. Wouldn’t it be great if you could just wipe the slate clean and dissolve everything Obummer did while in office? I can dream can’t I?

LeftCoastRight on September 7, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Bishop on September 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM

+1000. Exactly.

Mr. D on September 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Michelle Malkin calls Obama (appropriately): President Zero. Eastwood’s empty chair ranks right up there. Says it all about this golfer in chief. While Rome burns . . . .

RobertMN on September 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM

really? so the dems were right?

ted c on September 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I think Bmore said it rained at his house last night, but I heard it never even sprinkled in Charlotte.

Night Owl on September 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM

“President Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people”

I dunno…there’s some strong competition to consider:

1. The long term sustainability of OASI.
2. AGW
3. Silent Spring

We’ve fallen for some pretty good whoppers.

connertown on September 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM

As usual, because the journalists have no idea, middle America had a hero of a speech, and the journalists don’t get it…

The journalists didn’t get Reagan either…

right2bright on September 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Last night, Leno had a joke about American Idol looking for 3 new judges. It said that Clint Eastwood would be a new judge along with… and then showed a picture of two empty stools.

I couldn’t help but wonder, how many people, if they weren’t already familiar, googled Clint Eastwood+empty stool, just so they’d understand the joke, or asked a co-worker about it this morning.

Hopefully, this speech will continue to have legs as Clint starts his promo round of talk shows for his new movie, Trouble with the Curve, opening Sept. 21. Surely, his convention appearance will come up during his interviews, since it’s still be talked about!

parteagirl on September 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM

ted c on September 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM

On twitchy they had a run of tweets by the devoted noting the rain including actual pictures. But I think Chuck Todd made an error and linked a picture of blue skies over the stadium by 5:40 p.m.. Everyone was evoking sympathy for the close call for the people who would have been standing in line to get into the stadium that they totally could have filled.

Cindy Munford on September 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM

earlgrey133 on September 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I thought I was bad because I’ve never seen Star Wars or The Godfather. LOL

Night Owl on September 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM

That’s on the edge for Wisconsin politics.

WisRich on September 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I cringed a little at the halting delivery, but content-wise it was funny and absolutely what that convention needed. What I didn’t like, though, is Walker and company throwing him under the bus afterwards…even if they didn’t like it, the guy was doing them a huge favor and ended up being the most talked about part of the whole shebang. So, find something to praise about it and leave it at that.

changer1701 on September 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Eastwood road into town, ridiculed the bad guy, called him out into the street, and thoroughly trounced him.

I will forever be grateful to Mr. Eastwood for deflating Barack Obama for the world to see. Pointing out Obama was not THE ONE, he was simply another president, a failed one at that, and that he was not a ‘messiah’ but just a man.

Eastwood pointed out that when a person you hire for a job fails at that job it is reasonable and necessary to fire them and hire a better candidate for the position.

Eastwood’s use of the empty chair to define Obama was a stroke of brilliance and it has resonated with the American people. It was far more effective, even, than an ‘empty suit’, since the empty chair is a criticism of Obama’s failure to lead or act in the interest of the nation, rather than being a criticism of Obama’s personal character.

Clint Eastwood is a remarkable man.

thatsafactjack on September 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Thanks. I have never seen a Clint Eastwood movie (I know, I know)

earlgrey133 on September 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Communist.

lorien1973 on September 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM

So just about the time the Dems want to focus on teh One, Eastwood opens up again. Brilliant.

Keep eastwooding!

MeatHeadinCA on September 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM

BettyRuth on September 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I LOVE Scott Walker, but he worded that very badly. What he called “cringing”, I call “curious anticipation” at what he would say next. The halting style, and the fact that it was on live tv made it a wild, exciting ride. But what a thrill when it was done!

I’ll forgive Scott. You will too.

parteagirl on September 7, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I need to break out some of my Clint movies this weekend.

One in particular I think is appropriate is Magnum Force, in which Clint’s big catchphrase, appropriate to Obama, is “A man’s gotta know his limitations.”

teke184 on September 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Clinton had to have made deal, a big one, to do what he did.
Maybe he was offered an ambassadorship to a country with legal brothels.

Empty chair..Empty suit..Empty promises..Empty future.

Speakup on September 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Obama proved what a piker he was by allowing Bill Clinton to speak at the convention. Any professional performing artist knows, never follow a better act than yourself. Obama is far to much of a narcissist to grasp the meaning of that rule in connection to himself. Bill Clinton knew and understood that rule, Bill slipped a poisoned stiletto between Barack Insane Obama ribs so quickly and deftly that Obama never knew that he had been stabbed.

Which was kind of funny considering the way Clint Eastwood had metaphorically carved him up just days before at the RNC.

SWalker on September 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

get into the stadium that they totally could have filled.

Cindy Munford on September 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM

With what, dmmies, mannequins or what :)…oh, yeah SEIU props….

jimver on September 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

While my Husband and I watched Eastwood we cringed a bit and laughed a lot . When he was done we both thought that it was a brilliant performance. We were right..

sandee on September 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Just how long will George Soros keep propping up the leftist media cabal???

MSNBC would not exist as a “capitalist” entity – it would have been bankrupt
years ago. It gets stimulus dollars to run “advertising”. This needs to be investigated
and MSNBC should be forced to pay that money back the treasury with interest.

CNN will probably be gone by 2016.

NBC is now the gay/black channel…..

Disney needs to rid itself of the boat anchor that is ABC….

CBS is well – I don’t know – they seem to trying to turn right but the steering wheel is broken.

redguy on September 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM

That article made my day! He went back to his hotel and went to bed, got up the next day and flew in his private plane back to California all without knowing he was the talk of the nation.

Can’t wait to see his new movie!

Naturally Curly on September 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM

teke184 on September 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I’m not a fan of his westerns. Gran Torino is like buttered toast – I love that movie.

lorien1973 on September 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I’ve always been an Eastwood fan.

Now I can say that I’m an Eastwood Republican, as well.

ugottabekiddingme on September 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM

get into the stadium that they totally could have filled.

Cindy Munford on September 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM

With what, dmmies, mannequins or what :)…oh, yeah SEIU props….

jimver on September 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Empty “chairs” says it all.

sandee on September 7, 2012 at 11:12 AM

BettyRuth on September 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

It was cringe-worthy….until you rewatch it and realize it’s performance art, not a convention speech. It’s like showing someone an Andy Kaufman skit who’s never heard of the guy. The first time they’ll sit there wondering what the hell is going on. Once they figure out the whole point of it, they’ll kick themselves for being fooled.

Doughboy on September 7, 2012 at 11:12 AM

“..Mr President, your mouth wash ain’t makin’ it!”

The War Planner on September 7, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Clint outdrew them all,get it?

docflash on September 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM

If Romney pulls this off, he should make Eastwood an ambassador to Hollywood or something.

MeatHeadinCA on September 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Clint’s schtick was subtle, understated and, my first impression was that it was a bomb. I actually listened to the first half on the radio and had no idea what was going on because it sounded like he was speaking to a heckler. I caught the last few minutes on TV and, after seeing the chair, it made sense. I had to watch it a second time to get it. Now, after all of the interpretation, it was ingenious political theater.

ted c on September 7, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Right turn Clyde.

Buttercup on September 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Best thread winner – ever!

CaliforniaRefugee on September 7, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Doughboy on September 7, 2012 at 11:12 AM

At this point, I don’t care what it was. Look what’s (still) going on. Social media is churning out the eastwooding memes and the media is still recovering. So basically anyone that didn’t watch the convention will have to look up what’s up with Clint Eastwood and this empty chair.

MeatHeadinCA on September 7, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Clint outdrew them all,get it?

docflash on September 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM

yep, he left them in the dust with a bullet hole as they wondered what the hell just happened.

ted c on September 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Thanks. I have never seen a Clint Eastwood movie (I know, I know)

earlgrey133 on September 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

o_0. How is that even possible?

Dude, go to the rental store or netflix stat!.

As you check out, they’ll give you a “Man Card” receipt.

WisRich on September 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

President Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people,”

Quote of the millennium.

the_nile on September 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

With what, dmmies, mannequins or what :)…oh, yeah SEIU props….

jimver on September 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

and houseplants…..don’t forget those.

ted c on September 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Nero : Fiddle : Rome

Barry : Golf Bag : America

“Ask not what your TEA Party can do for you…” ~ DeepWheat

DeepWheat on September 7, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Hopefully everyone will thank Clint by going to his new movie TROUBLE WITH THE CURVE.

Chris Christie, meanwhile isn’t worthy to shine his saddle. Hopefully that grotesque fraud has finally opened the eyes of the idiots who call him a ‘conservative’ by bashing Clint on Fallon’s show. That had to be one of the most uncool moves I can remember.

Long live Josey Wales!

AmeriCuda on September 7, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Clint Eastwood did a brilliant job—everyone’s still talking about it a week later. And after that desperate speech last night by Obama, it’s even more prophetic. Everyone should be sure to go see the new Eastwood movie opening up soon.

Angstlee on September 7, 2012 at 11:18 AM

BOOM!

Philly on September 7, 2012 at 11:19 AM

And that is the absolute truth…

mnjg on September 7, 2012 at 11:19 AM

this is something that a guy like Eastwood, and only his type, can pull off. He doesn’t need to get up there and bluster, break stuff, and shoot things. He killed with kindness, humor, and deference.

and if there is something that this country is desperately in need of right now, it is LAUGHTER!

ted c on September 7, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Go see his new movie in record numbers.

gophergirl on September 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

That’s a really good proposal. I’m going!

BettyRuth on September 7, 2012 at 11:20 AM

teke184 on September 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

lorien1973 on September 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM

His work runs the gamut from classic to crap and across all genres.

I think the best movie of his is either one of the Leone westerns or Unforgiven. The worst I have seen is City Heat, which is an incoherent mess.

teke184 on September 7, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Clinton had to have made deal, a big one, to do what he did.
Maybe he was offered an ambassadorship to a country with legal brothels.

Empty chair..Empty suit..Empty promises..Empty future.

Speakup on September 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Nope. Ole Bubba just luvs the spotlight. He knew thst Obama had nothing to say so he jumped at the chance to remind people what he was like as President.
I heard Clinton speak in person when Hillary was running. He was different in his approach. He kept praising her as a person and what she could do. He was enthusiastic with his praise. I didn’t hear that at the convention. He did what he was asked and stayed in the news, that’s it.

Deanna on September 7, 2012 at 11:20 AM

lorien1973 on September 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM

WHAT!!!

Cindy Munford on September 7, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I’ll say this again for good measure what I wrote a week ago.

If Romney wins this election, people will look back on Clint Eastwood’s Empty Chair Sketch as the 11 minutes that won the campaign for Mitt Romney.

victor82 on September 7, 2012 at 11:21 AM