Coming to a theater near you: Atlas Shrugged II

posted at 2:41 pm on September 7, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

For any of those craven, right-wing extremist, depraved “Randian” devotees in the audience (because heaven forbid anybody should find any valuable food for thought in an epic tale about rugged individualism and the drive for human freedom overcoming the gaping deficiencies of central planning — ew, gross), here’s the newly released trailer for the second installment of the film interpretation of Ayn Rand’s 1957 novel Atlas Shrugged. The first installment that came out last year didn’t do quite as well as the filmmakers might’ve hoped, and after wondering for a time whether to continue with the project before deciding to forge ahead, it looks like there’s been some rearranging and a change-up in the lead actors, but heck — I’ll still go see it. I thought they did a fine job with the first one, and any film that’s willing to go against the grain of the typically liberal moral squish of big Hollywood is okay by me. It’ll be in select theaters on October 12th!

Comments

The first one wasn’t bad. I’ll watch this one.

SirGawain on September 7, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I already did.

bayview on September 7, 2012 at 2:43 PM

ok!

KOOLAID2 on September 7, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I was surprised to see the teaser for this before 2016: Obama’s America. Apparently the cast is entirely new.

Doughboy on September 7, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Eh, “Redacted II” is coming out at the same time, it will be a much better movie.

Bishop on September 7, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Looks sweet!

thirtyandseven on September 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM

this gives me a reason to see the first one on blu ray

hanzblinx on September 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Just as long as long as it’s not coming to a country near and dear to us.

teke184 on September 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM

yep…….looks even worse than the first part. Didn’t think that was possible

Doctor Zhivago on September 7, 2012 at 2:50 PM

a movie with atheists, rational hero’s, seems cool!

nathor on September 7, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Perfect timing.

The DNC in a nutshell (nut has more than one meaning). Must see the video.

Schadenfreude on September 7, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Communism defeated by clean energy… confusing

bayam on September 7, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Atlas Shrugged part 1 is available for instant download on Netflix

AndrewsDad on September 7, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Doctor Zhivago – it’s actually better.

Schadenfreude on September 7, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I just don’t go to movies, anymore.

When I was a kid, I got to see 2001 – A Space Odyssey, Planet of the Apes, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and The Godfather, in the theatre. Back then, it was exciting to go to a movie.

Now, I couldn’t care less.

OhEssYouCowboys on September 7, 2012 at 2:52 PM

While I do not agree with Ayn’s atheist views her philosophy of objectivism is right on and the most misunderstood out there. Anyone here that has not reaad the bok do so NOW.

jdsbengaltiger on September 7, 2012 at 2:53 PM

But dear Erika, religion blinded the most rightist of them all and will blind them this time again. Good luck to the land and to reason.

Schadenfreude on September 7, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I’m going to re-watch the first one before seeing this one.

And, I think I’m going to see 2016 this weekend. It’s at BOTH local theaters.

If you build it, we will come or is it you didn’t build that! Wait, Obama goobered all over the message in Field of Dreams.

Fallon on September 7, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I think it is possible to adapt Atlas Shrugged to a film that isn’t complete shit, but it hasn’t happened yet.

3.14159 on September 7, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Please, I can read the paper for the same thing.

rob verdi on September 7, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Loved part I, can’t wait for part II, but I’m disappointed at the wholesale recasting. I thought both Taylor Schilling and Grant Bowler were excellent in their roles.

allanbourdius on September 7, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Hmm..the first one is on Netflix and I got it in my que…just haven’t got around to watching it yet….

Maybe this weekend…

BigWyo on September 7, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Doctor Zhivago on September 7, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Now, that was a confusing movie. It seemed so romantic when I was young but then I realized Omar Sharif was an adulterer. Kinda wrecked it.

Fallon on September 7, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I don’t remember having any issues with the casting from the first movie, not sure how the new folks will work out in the roles.

Be weird when they start selling both parts on dvd together and you’ve got different faces on the back covers :P

Ukiah on September 7, 2012 at 2:58 PM

it looks like there’s been some rearranging and a change-up in the lead actors

Every character is portrayed by a new actor. Still going to see it, and buy the DVD.

Vashta.Nerada on September 7, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Teh Awesome!!11!11!!1eleventy!!1!

JohnGalt23 on September 7, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Will see.

ebrawer on September 7, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Sounds like the question for the series should be, “Who’s going to play John Galt this time?”

The Rogue Tomato on September 7, 2012 at 2:59 PM

The first one didn’t come within 200 miles of me. I sent an email to Cinemark. After an initial response that she would check into it and get back to me, I never heard another word.

Russ in OR on September 7, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Fallon on September 7, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Sorry for quoting myself but that is part of the Atlas Shrugged story that I wasn’t so keen on, either.

Fallon on September 7, 2012 at 3:00 PM

My apolitical wife who is somewhat picky about movies liked the first one a lot, so it was probably underrated.

I think it will do much better in the last month of a Presidential election.

I also thought Taylor Schilling and Grant Bowler were excellent, I wonder if they worried about blacklisting.

TallDave on September 7, 2012 at 3:00 PM

“One of these days you’re going to have to decide which side you’re on”.

Schadenfreude on September 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I’ll be there, probably twice. Once for the visuals, once for the message.

astonerii on September 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM

First movie did the novel no justice. I disliked it b/c it was so low budget that some characters were missing. Also, I always read Atlas Shrugged as a novel taking place in the 1940′s.

The trailer looks much better tho DB Sweeney as John Galt?! I always pictured Christian Bale or Henry Cavill.

Mangofish26 on September 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Didn’t read the fine print . . . is that Samantha Mathis (Amy from Little Women)?

pianomomma on September 7, 2012 at 3:09 PM

In spite of her fleas, Ayn Rand was the most prescient writer, in such a short time.

Reality is now what she wrote under the section of “fiction”.

Schadenfreude on September 7, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Yes, that Samantha Mathis. Did anyone catch the guy who looked like an older Mitt Romney? – gray at the temple even. Hmmmm.

Mangofish26 on September 7, 2012 at 3:13 PM

And definitely read the book if you haven’t, or read it again. I’m 82% done on my kindle (that’s about 3/5 through part III).

Don’t worry, if Obama’s Unification Board catches you at the movie, you can always just go John Galt to Atlantis.

kirkill on September 7, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I can’t wait, however, they would have been better off putting the book into a television series so that the entire book could have been placed on screen word-for-word.

Decoski on September 7, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I dunno, think it can beat Warren Beatty’s Reds for sheer intellectual firepower?

Or for that matter any Woody Allen movie with his daughter, wife, wife-daughter…

Bruno Strozek on September 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM

in the first part, Reardon’s office with Steel being poured in the background was filmed in Pueblo, CO. Which used to be a booming steel town, until the Unions, EPA, and OSHA destroyed the ability to make a profit. They still do some reclaim of steel for making rails and seamless pipe, but most production moved to Japan.

kirkill on September 7, 2012 at 3:20 PM

The Romney campaign should pay for open to the public screenings…

JohnGalt23 on September 7, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Hmmm, it has a nice slick hollywierd production feel to it, but why would I need to go to a movie theater to watch what is happening all around me?

SWalker on September 7, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Loved the book. Hope to see it.
2016 starts at our small town theater this weekend as well. What a pleasant surprise.

humdinger on September 7, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I am living Atlas Shrugged. Will the movie be better? Do the good guys win?

faraway on September 7, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Well, if there is still electricity running in the city, to operate the projector and popcorn machine, and no rioting in the streets yet, I may leave the gulch to see it.

LegendHasIt on September 7, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Their statist beliefs are not squishy at all.

VorDaj on September 7, 2012 at 3:29 PM

They better do justice to the Train/Tunnel scene which I consider one of the most compelling sections in the book.

That, and the section on how “From each according to their ability to each according to their need” destroyed 20th Century Motor company are the best in the book.

WisRich on September 7, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Read the book and then see part one before you go see Part 2.
From the Part 2 trailer the imagery is just as I had imagined when reading the book.
I can’t what to see who they cast as Rearden’s wife?
Perhaps DWS????

redguy on September 7, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Atlas Shrugged part 1 is available for instant download on Netflix

AndrewsDad on September 7, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Might wait for Part II on Netflix.

I enjoyed Part I on Netflix which is probably the best venue.

I’m a Randian who likes to eat the orange and spit out the seeds. Jason Lewis had a Randian on his show who argued that there are two options, faith and reason… and faith can only lead to serfdom, so the US is doomed if we don’t become an atheist nation.

How anyone can argue that after reading the US Constitution and seeing what atheism did to Russia, China, Germany, Vietnam, Cuba, etc., I’ll never know.

I just think the concepts are independent. A nation can be deeply religious and tend towards liberty (US, Britain) or tend towards tyranny (Iran, certain European states in the Dark Ages*). In the case of Britain, the farther it gets from faith, the more tyrannical its government.

*And even in the so-called Dark Ages, I’d rather live under regional religious control in western Europe than under any of the atheistic empires of the 20th century. At least there was some concept of justice in regard to civil matters.

mankai on September 7, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I heard they tapped Chris Matthews to play Wesley Mouch this time. DWS is to play Mrs. Rearden.

heretic on September 7, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I love the book, read it twice, and wanted so much to like the movie also. Unfortunately I thought it sucked royally. Bad acting, bad script and bad production values. Talented people can make a good movie despite a low budget – this wasn’t one of those times.

tommyboy on September 7, 2012 at 3:56 PM

They should have made this into a television series, ala Mad Men. Reardon as Don Draper and Peggy as Dagny lol. I thought the first one was okay. I think Atlas is a very difficult book to put into film. But I do wanna see the 2nd part. I wonder if the producers should not have promoted the movie more on conservative radio and TV to get more financial support.

fatlibertarianinokc on September 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Ugh, that trailer did not impress me. Replacing the whole cast? I thought they did fine in the first one, not perfect but… I’m not buying Mathis as Dagny.

oryguncon on September 7, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I never read the book until three years ago, when I read The Fountainhead and then Atlas Shrugged. I’ve read it cover to cover twice more since then.

My wife just saw this preview and she is interested in seeing it. I told her she should read the book first.

aunursa on September 7, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Communism defeated by clean energy… confusing

bayam on September 7, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Nothing wrong with clean energy. But if it’s created by a device contrived by the rational mind of the private citizen, he ought to have the right to charge whatever he wants for it, with no notion of “the public good” or attempts to appeal to anything more than the worth he places on his invention to stand in the way of determining the cost he wishes to charge.

Sgt Steve on September 7, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Either the trailer is very slick or Part 2 will be better that the first one. With Atlas Shrugged, 2016 The Movie, Last Once of Courage, and Dreams From My Real Father, we will be going into the election with a real head of stream up. . . unlike 2008. After seeing much of the week’s disaster movie, “The 2012 Democrat Convention”, I’m feeling optimistic. Obama has lost that loving feeling. I can’t see how he can possibly win if we all just get out to the polls.

SpiderMike on September 7, 2012 at 4:24 PM

My name is Rand, I design Buildings… And I too Believe in the Individual. I wish they had done a better job on these, although I’ve been saving the first one, waiting for them to be out together or even 3… Hearing about the change in cast is depressing, not because I was looking forward to anyone, but just because I like continuity. I’ll still watch.

Kaptain Amerika on September 7, 2012 at 4:28 PM

The preview makes me want to see the film. Looks more interesting, from a preview perspective, than the previous one.

Can’t wait.

njrob on September 7, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I have been waiting for this since the first one came out. I reread Atlas Shrugged at least once a year.

logicman_1998 on September 7, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I look forward to seeing it and buying the DVD for my library.

petefrt on September 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I’ve heard it’d be more pleasant to be hooked up to a Ferris Persuader
than sit through this flick.

verbaluce on September 7, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I’ve heard it’d be more pleasant to be hooked up to a Ferris Persuader
than sit through this flick.

verbaluce on September 7, 2012 at 5:22 PM

No you haven’t. You just thought that saying something snotty about a movie that conservatives might enjoy would make you sound like one of the ‘kewl kids’.

It doesn’t. You still sound like a lying leftist. Oh…wait…you are.

Solaratov on September 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM

“One of these days you’re going to have to decide which side you’re on”.

Schadenfreude on September 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I already know. $

Bmore on September 7, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Solaratov on September 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Do you not feel denied that movies ‘that conservatives might enjoy’ are just really really bad?
Also, it’s a pretty small subset of conservatives who actually buy into the Ayn Rand cult love. That’s like saying all rock music fans would enjoy a film about tongue piercings.
I bet most conservatives enjoy good movies.

verbaluce on September 7, 2012 at 5:43 PM

aunursa on September 7, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Why so mean to your wife?
Just let her see the movie.
If she must, read Fountainhead.
But for the sake of your marriage, don’t make her suffer through AS.

verbaluce on September 7, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I thought they already made Atlas Shrugged into a movie a while ago, oh wait, that was Iron Man 2…

@nthony_the_gre@t on September 7, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Why so mean to your wife?

verbaluce on September 7, 2012 at 5:45 PM

So that she can betterunderstand the movie.

I personally found TF to be quite boring. AS had the element of mystery.

aunursa on September 7, 2012 at 7:02 PM

aunursa on September 7, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I did too. TF was too long and ponderous for me. I lost interest and didn’t finish it. But with AS, I became glued to it early on, and stayed glued to it to the end.

petefrt on September 7, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Loved the first part, can’t wait for the second. My kids (in their late teens) loved it too and understood the issues, even though they haven’t read the book. It was eerie hearing phrases from the book that so closely echoed what we’re experiencing today.

I’ve followed their progress with the movie and was disappointed to see that they have a new cast, but I think it will work anyway. They say that even if you didn’t see the first part it will still make sense.

Common Sense on September 7, 2012 at 10:27 PM

When Ayn Rand left her Soviet past, she forgot to leave behind two things which will always seed the desire for the same totalitarianism which she so strongly decries: Atheism and Libertinism.

Her most glaring failing was this supposition that faith and reason cannot coexist. It alone prevents her work from being more well accepted than it is.

The current news over the last three years has, more and more, become a paraphrasing of Atlas Shrugged, and yet the looters and moochers would never see it so.

The book should be required high school reading. Not because it is top-shelf literature, but because of its near-prophetic nature concerning our nation’s path to destruction.

$

Freelancer on September 7, 2012 at 10:56 PM

A few of the special effects looked low budget but other then that Im not sure what is supposed to be wrong with the first movie? All the actors seemed fine. The problem with it was it never appeared in local theaters.

Resolute on September 7, 2012 at 11:41 PM

My name is Rand, I design Buildings…

Kaptain Amerika on September 7, 2012 at 4:28 PM

I thought your name would be Roark… [grin]

E-R

electric-rascal on September 8, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Wait, we’re not just playing roles in that movie right now??? This is real???!!!??

justltl on September 8, 2012 at 1:20 AM