Toughest job ever: fact-checking Bill Clinton

posted at 8:41 am on September 6, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Bill Clinton rescued the Democratic convention from a complete collapse last night with a strong — but far too long — nominating speech on behalf of Barack Obama.  Prior to his arrival, Democrats had embarrassed themselves by voting to disregard God and the long-established capital of a close ally, and then forcing the party’s leadership to blatantly override the clear rejection of that amendment.  Once again, abortion and contraception dominated the evening, this time all the way into the prime-time hour as Sandra Fluke’s speech inexplicably got shifted to 10 pm.  It’s as if Democrats not only are disregarding the priorities of voters in this economy, but want to lecture them about their priorities as well.  And if the final hour was bad, Chris Cillizza says the set-up hour before it was even worse:

The 9-10 pm [ET] hour: This hour, which should have been building to the Warren and Clinton speeches, was entirely forgettable — filled with overly long speeches by the president of the United Auto Workers and people negatively affected by Bain Capital.  Given the prominence of the hour, the content contained within it was decidedly disappointing.

Clinton, though, stuck to the biggest issues of the day: economy, jobs, health-care reform, and entitlements.  He made about the only argument that can be made for Obama, and the one that Obama’s self-assessed grade of “incomplete” suggests — that four years wasn’t enough to fix the huge problems created by the economic crisis:

Now, look. Here’s the challenge he faces and the challenge all of you who support him face. I get it. I know it. I’ve been there. A lot of Americans are still angry and frustrated about this economy. If you look at the numbers, you know employment is growing, banks are beginning to lend again, and in a lot of places, housing prices have even began to pick up.

But too many people do not feel it yet. I had this same thing happen in 1994 and early ‘95. We could see that the policies were working, that the economy was growing, but most people didn’t feel it yet. Thankfully, by 1996, the economy was roaring, everybody felt it, and we were halfway through the longest peacetime expansion in the history of the United States. But the difference this time is purely in the circumstances. President Obama started with a much weaker economy than I did. Listen to me now. No president, no president — not me, not any of my predecessors — no one could have fully repaired all the damage that he found in just four years.

Within the Democratic Party, no one has the standing that Clinton does to make that argument.  That doesn’t make it true, however, nor does it mean that the current policies are working.  With median household income falling faster in Obama’s recovery than during the recession and the workforce near a 30-year low in population participation rates, we’re going in the wrong direction.  But as a defender of Obama, Clinton succeeded in making the best possible argument as believable as he could make it.

Of course, this depends on how much credibility one puts in Bill Clinton in the first place.  This was the only sitting President ever convicted of perjury while in office, after all, and his tendency to waggle his finger while telling a whopper resurfaced last night as well.  The Associated Press offered up a fact check that, while a little thin, hammered Clinton on some of his key arguments in the speech:

“For the last two years, health care spending has grown under 4 percent, for the first time in 50 years. So, are we all better off because President Obama fought for it and passed it? You bet we are.”

THE FACTS: That’s wishful thinking at best. The nation’s total health care tab has been growing at historically low rates, but most experts attribute that to continued uncertainty over the economy, not to Obama’s health care law.

I found the continuing defenses of ObamaCare a little surprising.  Why keep bringing up something so unpopular at a national convention?  With that and the Abortion-Palooza, this has become a base-turnout convention, not one intended to convince anyone but true believers to vote for Obama.

The biggest hit came on Clinton’s claims about the economy:

CLINTON: “I know many Americans are still angry and frustrated with the economy. … I experienced the same thing in 1994 and early 1995. Our policies were working but most people didn’t feel it yet. By 1996, the economy was roaring, halfway through the longest peacetime expansion in American history.”

THE FACTS: Clinton is counting on voters to recall the 1990s wistfully and to cast a vote for Obama in hopes of replicating those days in a second term. But Clinton leaves out the abrupt downward turn the economy took near the end of his own second term and the role his policies played in the setting the stage for the historic financial meltdown of 2008. …

Sure enough, the tech-heavy Nasdaq composite stock index and the Dow Jones industrial average both peaked in March 2000. The bursting of the high-tech bubble dragged down the economy and markets through the rest of the year. From September 2000 to January 2001, when Clinton left office, the Nasdaq dropped 46 percent. Even now, in 2012, the Nasdaq has not returned to its 2000 peak. By March 2001, the economy toppled into recession.

The AP surprisingly offered this reminder of Clinton’s role in the economic collapse, too, although the article makes no mention of the Community Reinvestment Act and the steps Clinton took to create an explosion in subsidized sub-prime lending:

Also, as president, Clinton supported the 1999 repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act, a law dating back to the Great Depression that separated banking from high-risk financial speculation. Robert Rubin, who had been Clinton’s first treasury secretary, helped broker the final deal on Capitol Hill that enabled the repeal legislation to pass. Some financial historians say the repeal of the law paved the way for banks to invest in risky investments like mortgage-backed securities and collateralized debt obligations that played a role in the 2008 financial meltdown.

With all of that said, though, Clinton provided perhaps the first argument for Obama on topics that concern voters in 2012 of this convention.  We’ll see how effective Clinton was, but it’s also questionable how many people stuck around through the debacle that preceded Clinton all day long to hear him.  I’m guessing that most of the audience were those same true believers to whom Democrats pandered for hours prior to his taking the stage.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I like how neither cares about fact checking anymore. It has become a partisan thing now. Romney doesn’t let facts drive his message as his pollster said, and The left act like they are perfect.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 6, 2012 at 8:46 AM

I found the continuing defenses of ObamaCare a little surprising. Why keep bringing up something so unpopular at a national convention?

To help sink Dear Liar. I confess to not watching the whole speech (Yankees, Giants — grrr, and oh, yes, having to get up in the morning) but it was a very subtle stab in the back. Well done.

rbj on September 6, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Toughest job ever: fact-checking being a lesbian intern for Bill Clinton

Fify, Ed!

Valkyriepundit on September 6, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Dems are waking up this morning, wondering if they can vote for Bubba, instead. LOL.

kingsjester on September 6, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Don’t forget Byron York- He thought it was an awesomely masterful, made the case and sealed the deal for Obama, kind of speech. Probably going to write several columns on it. Some of these “conservatives” are far from helpful at times.

BettyRuth on September 6, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Blah blah blah, yada yada yada. Who cares what Clinton said? What’s Barry doing but the opposite of what Clinton did to get re-elected, and pursuing the same socialist policies that are bringing Europe — and America — to its knees?

Down with God and Israel! All hail Big Government!

RobertMN on September 6, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Romney doesn’t let facts drive his message as his pollster said

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 6, 2012 at 8:46 AM

His pollster didn’t say that. He said “we won’t let our campaign be dictated by factcheckers,”

i.e.,

“we won’t let hyperpartisan, neutral-in-name-only ‘factcheckers’ stop us from telling the truth.”

steebo77 on September 6, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Fact: TFGRP eats dog.

Ok, what’s next?

Bishop on September 6, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Forget the old geezer he’s so 1996.

How about the hotties introducting America’s Grim reaper Baracka tonight?

CHARLOTTE, NC — Call them Barack’s Angels.

Democrats have secretly scheduled an appearance by Hollywood beauties Scarlett Johansson, Natalie Portman and Kerry Washington tonight at their national convention, in a bid to counter Clint Eastwood’s surprise speech at the Republican convention last week in Tampa.

The three actresses are expected to take the stage together at the Time Warner Cable Arena, helping to pump up the crowd before President Obama officially accepts the Democrats’ renomination.
The actresses not only provide star power — they continue a theme of showing the party’s inclusion of young people, women and minorities.

Johansson is 27, Portman is 31 and Washington is 35. Johansson and Portman are white. Washington is African-American.

Their appearance in Charlotte comes a week after Eastwood, 82, made an unexpected speech in Tampa, delivering a grumbling monologue that took aim at Obama’s record in office.

Eastwood’s performance drew cringes from some top Republicans, but delegates seemed to eat it up. Eastwood went over his time limit and included a bit in which he “interviewed” an empty chair meant to represent Obama.

Many at the convention enjoyed the surprise break from the usual political speeches at conventions.

Eastwood would be a hard act to top. But Johansson, Portman and Washington definitely have the Hollywood chops to do it.

Among other films, Johansson starred in “Lost in Translation,” “A Love Song for Bobby Long” and “The Other Boleyn Girl.”

PappyD61 on September 6, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I tried to watch Clinton last night, but my brain couldn’t keep up with all his nonsense….I yearned for deeper, thought provoking fare. I found it. I suddenly remembered Here Comes Honey Boo Boo was on, and changed the channel.

ex Dem from Miami on September 6, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Hmmmm, well the headline has the words Bill Clinton
and Fact.

We remember the games on Sesame Street right?

Which one of these does NOT belong?

ToddPA on September 6, 2012 at 8:56 AM

OT:

Singer Joe South has passed away.

ToddPA on September 6, 2012 at 8:56 AM

fact-checking

at this point in the campaign one side lies, the other side “checks” it and then Debbie Wasserdoodle goes out and lies some more. It’s just a side show at this point.

and Bill Clinton did not look good up there. He is wasting away. I guess Monica got the best he had to give.

PappyD61 on September 6, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Good speech or not, Clinton is still the disgraced former President.

DAT60A3 on September 6, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but props to the AP for mentioning Glass-Steagall. Clinton has gotten almost a complete pass on this for years.

Doughboy on September 6, 2012 at 8:59 AM

At several points during his speech, I turned to my wife, pointed a crooked finger in the air, and in a slow drawl, said, “I want to make one thing perfectly clear. I did NOT have sexual relations with that woman.”

aunursa on September 6, 2012 at 8:59 AM

And we thought they didn’t want to talk about it. Every speaker I’ve seen forcefully defended this thing. I would like to see how many times Heathcare was mentioned in rnc vs dnc lol.

On another note, I hate to be the one to say this but at least they were able to put their last president on the stage.

Tampa was like … “who’s George Bush ?” … You guys hate Jeb too, so dont bother with that nuance. You know what I mean.

Yes, I like Bill, sue me.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM

PappyD61 on September 6, 2012 at 8:55 AM

gophergirl on September 6, 2012 at 9:01 AM

CHARLOTTE, NC — Call them Barack’s Angels Honey Boo Boos.

Brat on September 6, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Call them Barack’s Angels.

Style over substance. Again. The leftist’s way.

Mitoch55 on September 6, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Bill Clinton rocked …made mittens/lyinryan look absolutely PUNY!

Pragmatic on September 6, 2012 at 9:02 AM

One sleazy liar standing up for another sleazy liar.I’ll take a pass thank you.

docflash on September 6, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Yes, I like Bill, sue me.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Did you lie in a deposition re: sexual harassment too?

Mitoch55 on September 6, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Given that Clinton very clearly would benefit from a Bambi defeat (better for HRC ’16, keeps Bubba as the only Dem to be re-elected since Truman, etc) There were several points in that speech that seemed explicitly designed to look like a defense of Bambi while in reality planting seeds of doubt — not among the fawning masses in the arena but amongst moderate and independent voters. The focus on Obamacare was one part, so too was the bit about how Bubba works with Republicans every day in his Clinton Global Initiative. To point out that he works across the spectrum (which is probably true) while those self-same Republicans are unwilling to work with Bambi makes the subtle point that it’s not that Republicans are intractable, it’s that Bambi has no managerial or negotiating skills.

The speech was along the lines of (but the opposite of) the “I come not to praise Caesar but to bury him” speech. Very interesting.

SoRight on September 6, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Impossible for me to take a rapist seriously.

SKYFOX on September 6, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Bill Clinton rocked …made mittens/lyinryan look absolutely PUNY!

Pragmatic on September 6, 2012 at 9:02 AM

And the mask slips…

gophergirl on September 6, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 6, 2012 at 8:46 AM

My God! Brilliant! I think you’re really onto something here. Well, except for the fact that his pollster never said that. But hey, don’t let facts stand in your way!

Trafalgar on September 6, 2012 at 9:04 AM

In other words, the DNC is so freaked out by the whooping Obama took from Eastwood, they feel they HAVE to have some kind of stopgap to compensate…oh, and they are ripping off the RNC show by showing the “party’s inclusion of young people, women and minorities”. Do these idiots not have ANY kind of a mind or plan of their own? lol

Highlar on September 6, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM

You really believe that the narcissist destroyer wanted Bill Clinton on stage? Slicky was brought onboard the Titanic in a desperate bid to plug the giant hole in the hull; if Barky were flying high ol’ Bill wouldn’t have been allowed within 500 miles of Charlotte.

Bishop on September 6, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Mitoch55 on September 6, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Yes, cheating and lying is such a son that you were willing to make Cain or Gingrich your nominees knowing full well they are even worst on that front. Takes brass to call out someone else for something you did too.

I bet you’ll miss my subtle method here …

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 6, 2012 at 9:08 AM

CHARLOTTE, NC — Call them Barack’s Angels Honey Boo Boos.
Brat on September 6, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Too funny! I was forced to watch this show recently by a 12 and 10 year old group who were rolling on the floor laughing, pointing,
etc.

They made me watch “Duck Dynasty” previously. I actually found some humor in that one.

However, “Honey Boo Boo” is the worst show I have ever seen.

Amjean on September 6, 2012 at 9:08 AM

My favorite part was all of the soiled granny panties that were thrown on stage during his speech – He’s still got it!

Pork-Chop on September 6, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Bill Clinton rocked …made mittens/lyinryan look absolutely PUNY!

Pragmatic on September 6, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Remind me again which office the convicted perjurer Bill Clinton is running for?

Trafalgar on September 6, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Bill Clinton rocked …made mittens/lyinryan look absolutely PUNY!

Pragmatic on September 6, 2012 at 9:02 AM

You finally jumped the shark on that one, I’m afraid.

kingsjester on September 6, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Bill Clinton rocked …made mittens/lyinryan look absolutely PUNY!

Pragmatic on September 6, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Trafalgar on September 6, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Nevermind mind that one, he shares the same parallel universe with DWS…

jimver on September 6, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Pork-Chop on September 6, 2012 at 9:09 AM

And those were just from Matthews, Olbermann, and Brooks.

Bishop on September 6, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Yes, I like Bill, sue me.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Oh, I agree with others that Clinton is a master politician. I don’t think there is any getting around it. I ALSO think that there were parts of his speech last night that were definite sleight-of-hand stabs at Obama…the speech ran WAY too long on purpose to keep Obama waiting in the wings behind stage on purpose…and the heaviest “hitting” parts of the speech on policy didn’t come until the END of the speech, when viewers at home were probably already thoroughly bored and switched channels already (if you notice the start of the speech was all about Clinton…Hillary…how great some of the things ALL past presidents including both Bushes were…and how Clinton(s) are able to work across the aisle and that’s what is MOST important in a president). I may not like Clinton as a PERSON…I do think he is a master POLITICIAN.

Highlar on September 6, 2012 at 9:13 AM

OT:

Singer Joe South has passed away.

ToddPA on September 6, 2012 at 8:56 AM

As sad as this news is, when you consider his biggest hit was GAMES PEOPLE PLAY, it actually fits in perfectly with this thread.

pilamaye on September 6, 2012 at 9:13 AM

If Clinton had as many viewer’s as Ryan, I’ll be surprised.

He waay too long, too late, and against a decent NFL game that ate one network.

At this point, they’re hoping the soundbytes hold.

But none were “let ‘em go” .

budfox on September 6, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Bill Clinton rocked …made mittens/lyinryan look absolutely PUNY!

Pragmatic on September 6, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Tool.

So Bill Clinton lied? I’m shocked! The fact a serial womanizer who was accused of rape AND convicted of perjury has any credibility with ANYONE is awfully sad.

changer1701 on September 6, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Clinton’s speech was surprisingly weak and boring.

I expected better, to be honest.

Clinton’s only memorable line (to paraphrase): “No one could have succeeded, given what Obama inherited.”

Wow, this is a shockingly weak position for the Dems to be in. They have their biggest names ADMITTING Obama is a failure. They’re just making excuses for him now at this point.

This is all the Democrats have? They are in trouble. Trying to assassinate the character of a good man like Mitt is NOT going to cut it.

There is absolutely no good argument for re-electing Obama.

Get ready to start hearing “President Elect Romney” in a few short months. It’s happening.

bluegill on September 6, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Ben Stein did a good fact-checking job on Slick.

Money quote:

This cracker snake oil salesman, as my pal John Coyne calls him, immediately began to lecture the Republicans about how immoral they are. Yes!!!! This man, who had a college intern give him oral sex in the Oval Office while he was on the phone with a Congressional Committee Chair, who inserted cigars into this woman’s private parts in the Oval Office, then smoked them, then lied about it all, who was impeached, is lecturing the GOP about morality.

It is art.

This man, credibly accused of something very like sexual assault, is cheered to the rafters by the women at the DNC. It is fantastic. This is not grist for the political analyst. It is grist for the psychoanalyst.

Del Dolemonte on September 6, 2012 at 9:14 AM

My wife & I haven’t seen a doctor or a dentist for a couple of years. The co-pays have gone up too much; we can’t afford it.

itsnotaboutme on September 6, 2012 at 9:15 AM

The ultimate irony after all this will be that Bubba and Shrillary will head back to Chappaqua this November and pull the lever for Romney.

Then O’Butthead can really start carrying his bags – golf bags.

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on September 6, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM

W has also kept his nose out of the national stage since he left office unlike Democrat presidents who just can’t let go of the glory days (Carter/Clinton).

Both W and his father have far more class than any ex/sitting Preazy of the United Steazy the left has served up.

JAGonzo on September 6, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Bill Clinton rocked …made mittens/lyinryan look absolutely PUNY!

Chelsea Clinton on September 6, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Del Dolemonte on September 6, 2012 at 9:15 AM

credibility one puts in Bill Clinton

Bwahahahahahahaha

Poor Lie’n Billy is still try’n to figure out what the meaning of IS IS….

roflmao

donabernathy on September 6, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Scarlett J. is pretty easy on the eyes even if her own eyes are strangely dog-like in their distance from one another. But she’s no Eastwood, not even in the same galaxy.

Bishop on September 6, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Sorry guys, but Bill Clinton nailed that speech and will probably stand out as the most effectual of the conventionS, like it or not.

Boomer_Sooner on September 6, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Trafalgar on September 6, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Romney’s pollster did say he doesn’t care about facts as long as the end justifies the means. Don’t get mad when folks call out your candidate’s lies.

HotAirLib on September 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM

BJ’s speech didn’t just stretch the truth. It was “a big fairy tale”, so contrary to reality at points as to be laughable.

Dick Morris nailed it in the title to his recent article…
Bill Clinton: A good lawyer defending a guilty client

petefrt on September 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Clinton forgot to mention that he also had the Dot Com going on during his tenure. Almost everyone was buying computers and computer related items. He also was ramming high risk mortgages down the throats of the American people, which helped get us into the trouble where we are today.

Philo Beddoe on September 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Del Dolemonte on September 6, 2012 at 9:14 AM

You gotta love Ben Stein. He tells it like it is.

kingsjester on September 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM

OT: New Quinnipiac poll puts Romney 7 points behind Obama in New Jersey

This is the closest NJ poll of the year. Obama won the state 16 points in 2008.

steebo77 on September 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM

HotAirLib on September 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM

So…how does it feel to watch your messiah fade away into a has-been?

kingsjester on September 6, 2012 at 9:18 AM

The AP admits this?!?!

Red Cloud on September 6, 2012 at 9:20 AM

This is the closest NJ poll of the year. Obama won the state 16 points in 2008.

steebo77 on September 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM

And Romney’s winning independents 48-44.

steebo77 on September 6, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Bishop on September 6, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Bishop — You know better. George Bush is still being blamed for the collapse so what do you think Americans would think of when they see him. Regardless of how Bill contributed to the collapse, he reminds people of “better” times. Even conservative pundits are saying that they miss Bill (which doesn’t help PR wise). Agree or not, the numbers don’t lie, Bill is far more popular than Bush. Forget Obama for a moment, as a party the Democrats are proud of their last president. And if you are going to say pick me, I think it helps to say “look what happened the last time we had 2 terms”. The fact is, this is a line Republicans, or conservatives for that matter, who say with a straight face.

A potentially more damaging part of this is: even if you don’t want Obama, this might make people vote Dems down the ballot. Imagine Romney with a more liberal congress HA! Classic R doing what they do…acting liberal!

Underestimate if you must to sleep, but for O, this was as good as holding the Ace of Spades…in playing spades.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 6, 2012 at 9:20 AM

HotAirLib on September 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I’m sure you have the link to that, right?

Trafalgar on September 6, 2012 at 9:21 AM

So…how does it feel to watch your messiah fade away into a has-been?

kingsjester on September 6, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Ask him how feels about TFGRP needing to tap Slickster in a bid to save a failing, desperate campaign.

Bishop on September 6, 2012 at 9:22 AM

would not say*

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 6, 2012 at 9:22 AM

HuffPo via AOL, good little DNC/Obama/Clinton stooges that they are, claims that Clinton “rocked” the DNC with his Castro-length speech.

onlineanalyst on September 6, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Clinton:

If you look at the numbers, you know employment is growing

If you look at the numbers, in relation to population, employment is NOT growing.

ITguy on September 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Don’t get mad when folks call out your candidate’s lies.

HotAirLib on September 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM

That response doesn’t work, and it only reveals that the Obama campaign is scared. The only people who care about that distortion of what some random pollster said are partisans who were already voting for Obama. Whine all you want, but the truth will continue to get out there.

The ads describing how Obama gutted the welfare work requirement are going to continue, and the ads are working. Deal with it.

bluegill on September 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Bishop on September 6, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I wonder if Axlerod is holding an Emergency Conference call this morning. Attention all Trolls! Battle stations! AAAOOOGAAAH!Danger! Danger!

This is great. Pass the popcorn.

kingsjester on September 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM

“The fact that the dems think these three women are even on the same playing field as Clint Eastwood is hilarious.”

The only times I’ve ever heard of these women is when “US” magazine compares what dresses they wore to which occasion in Hollywood.

RADIOONE on September 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Bill Clinton rocked …made mittens/lyinryan look absolutely PUNY!

Pragmatic on September 6, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Hope you had enough tissues there, at hand….

jimver on September 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Boomer_Sooner on September 6, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Well hell if Boomer Sooner says so..it must be true.

It will only be effective on the true believers…and that’s why they are true believers.

Most Americans remember Bill waving that crooked finger and saying “Eye did not have sexual relations with that women”. The know he’s a serial liar.

If the fact checkers bother..they’ll prove him once again as a liar.

He’s like the drunk uncle at the Christmas party..a hoot to listen to..but you know every other word out of his mouth is a lie and he can’t be trusted.

HumpBot Salvation on September 6, 2012 at 9:25 AM

This is the closest NJ poll of the year. Obama won the state 16 points in 2008.

steebo77 on September 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM

And Romney’s winning independents 48-44.

steebo77 on September 6, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Cautiously optimistic. Not necessarily about NJ, but that if it’s close there that the battlegrounds will continue to edge in Romney’s favor. If he’s winning indies in places like NJ, I don’t know how he loses.

changer1701 on September 6, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I bet you’ll miss my subtle method here …

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 6, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Lying in a deposition is called perjury. It’s against the law. I realize the law is such a flexible concept for you libs, but you can’t get away from the fact BJ had to surrender his law license for a period of time so he wouldn’t face FEDERAL PERJURY CHARGES.

Mitoch55 on September 6, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Bill Clinton rocked …made mittens/lyinryan look absolutely PUNY!

Pragmatic on September 6, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Well, bless your heart. Too bad Bubba isn’t running this year, huh?

Remind us again who is running.

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on September 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

HotAirLib on September 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Liar..I mean democrat.

HumpBot Salvation on September 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Again, any sort of criminal activity is a resume enhancer for anyone on the left.

T. Kennedy killed a woman and left the scene. There are also several noted instances of him being a drunk womanizer. B. Obama was involved in all those shady land deals with Rezko in Chi-town. Robert Byrd was an active member of the KKK up until he decided he wanted to run for congress. Clinton is an adulterer and perjured himself. I am sure there are far more that I can’t think of off the top of my head right now.

These people are celebrated by the left and given the stage so they can castigate conservatives about how immoral we are. The fact that this man is still cheered by the left just goes to show how low this party is. I couldn’t stand to watch this clown tell me about how much Mitt Romney lies.

JAGonzo on September 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Bishop on September 6, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Saved your spot at QOTD. They told me it was your Birthday also. True or False?

Bmore on September 6, 2012 at 9:28 AM

HotAirLib on September 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM

he was disputing the objectivity of the so called fact checkers, cretin…so he basically said that biased fact checkers and their fabri ations don’t count and rightly so…

jimver on September 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 6, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Eh, Bill Clinton reminded everyone of every party just how terrifyingly bad at Presidenting TFGRP really is, that’s what Slickster did last night.

Bill gave Carter a 30 second video blurb at the ’96 convention, Barky gave the husband of his greatest political party-adversary a prime-time speaking slot.

Bishop on September 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM

HotAirLib on September 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Still waiting for the link. Tick…tick…tick…crickets.

Trafalgar on September 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Fabrications..

jimver on September 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Saved your spot at QOTD. They told me it was your Birthday also. True or False?

Bmore on September 6, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Everyday is my birthday. (page 47, Ohio Public Union contract)

Bishop on September 6, 2012 at 9:31 AM

…”Are you better off than you were 4 years ago?”
…it depends what your definition of “are”…is!

KOOLAID2 on September 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Romney calls the Dem convention “A Celebration of Failure”

Very well put. A celebration of, and excuse-making session for, Obama’s presidency, which Clinton rightfully acknowledged has been a failure.

At this point the Obama campaign is just hoping that the messianic Obama media propaganda from 2008 still reverberates with enough voters to ignore the economic reality and Obama’s failed record.

bluegill on September 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I also didn’t help the Dems that the Cowboys game stayed interesting until the very end. Clinton also went so long, it kept Barry off of primetime. Heh.

parteagirl on September 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM

…Portman took home an Oscar for her role in “Black Swan” (where she played a self-hating lesbian ballerina).

PappyD61 on September 6, 2012 at 8:55 AM

So … Butch Napolitano and Rahm Emanuel rolled into one person?

slickwillie2001 on September 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Yes, I like Bill, sue me.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Your name indicates that you like Dodd and Kennedy even more.

Vince on September 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Highlar on September 6, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I don’t know about all of that…where was O going anyway? He was in for the night. You guys have to stop assuming that majority of Americans in general behave the way die-hard cons/progs bloggers do. Just because you might have turned off the tv, doesn’t mean they did. For the lack of better unit of measurement as of this morning…Bill had for tweets than Romney. At the very least, the tech-savvy ones stayed up I guess..

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Boomer_Sooner on September 6, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Nah. Can’t remember a single standout phrase. But people will never forget the empty chair…

parteagirl on September 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Clinton inspired irrational exuberance amongst the baby boomers who had rejected wealth during the 70′s but were partying on it by the end of the 80′s. Now they want you to reject wealth too. Mr. Clinton has only worked to make himself rich on his name since he left office. I am sure he is not the type to put his finances into a blind trust. If Mrs. Clinton were on the ticket with B.O. it would be hard for them to demand Romney’s taxes and hide their own. Clinton gets a pass. Obama gets a pass, they can buy houses with “gifts” from friends because they NEED them more than you do. It’s Animal Farm.

The bubble burst after Clinton left office, so thin and emotional as it had been. Do you think they had hoped that Obama would have the same effect over the economy, the way they threw all that money at so called green companies, green with inexperience, and thought that just by their presence they would transform into money makers? Magical thinking.

And then the excuse making: the republican congress wouldn’t let Obama have the money he needed to fix things because they didn’t want him to succeed. (No Mention of the obdurate Harry Reid.)

The trouble with the democrats is that everything they are promising, they are promising that the voters who vote against him will pay for. We wont pay. The democrats keep referring to the lame duck session of the Bush term as losing so many jobs and the markets tanking and blaming it on bush. That was the market reaction to Obama’s win.

The Bush recession ended in June 2009. For insane reasons, Obama Kept Digging, perhaps he was looking for those he he he Shovel Ready jobs.

Bill Clintons words last night: shovel ready.

Fleuries on September 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM

in a lot of places, housing prices have even began to pick up.

Obama’s inflationary policies will cause that. Houses are tangible things and Obama money is worthless. As with the stock market, the housing prices in Zimbabwe went through the roof relative to their own currency. If you start re-inflating the bubble on top of the expected inflation, yeah, you can make the housing prices as high as you like.

Buddahpundit on September 6, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Your name indicates that you like Dodd and Kennedy even more.

Vince on September 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM

yawn…that is the most boring call out from another HA blogger. You should what I get called around here. Want to try again?

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 6, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Long, but Clinton was on fire. Obama’s going to have to make a lot of women faint tonight to top him.

eforhan on September 6, 2012 at 9:37 AM

So many people, including Clinton himself, forget that he VETOED Newt’s welfare reform bill TWICE before Dick Morris convinced him to sign it the THIRD time Congress passed it.

Then at the 1996 DEM convention, Clinton in his acceptance speech apologized for signing it and promised he would “fix the bad parts” of the bill.

fred5678 on September 6, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Don’t get mad when folks call out your candidate’s lies.

HotAirLib on September 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM

…when BJ wagged and shook his finger at you…you sucked on something didn’t you?…and believed him…just like you did years ago.

KOOLAID2 on September 6, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Bill Clinton raised taxes and decimated the military.

Remember “Wag the Dog” in Bosnia?

His only saving grace was Newt Gingrich and the Contract with
America. Make fun of Newt, you dumba$$es, all you want, he
was/is a true statesman.

Bill Clinton had sex with a girl young enough to be his daughter,
then lied about it.

Bill Clinton raped Broderick.

He is a pig, not a master politician. His speech was full of
himself and full of lies.

Amjean on September 6, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Bishop on September 6, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Well then, Happy Birthday!!! ; )

Bmore on September 6, 2012 at 9:39 AM

The days Clinton can wag his finger and tell the people anything are long gone. If people still listened to him, Obama never would have won the nomination. For other than the die hards, this speech had nothing. He was given 25 minutes and took 48, knowing President Obama was waiting to join him on stage. Tell me that wasn’t some type of payback

tbrickert on September 6, 2012 at 9:40 AM

In case you missed Bubba’s long, boring and rambling speech last night.

Three sentences that summarize Bill Clinton’s speech:

“I’m Drunk.”
“I’m Horny.”
“Any of you Girls over 16?”

sentinelrules on September 6, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Don’t get mad when folks call out your candidate’s lies.

HotAirLib on September 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Fear.

Bmore on September 6, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Well then, Happy Birthday!!! ; )

Bmore on September 6, 2012 at 9:39 AM