Oddly, young voters continue to feel less and less enthusiastic about President Obama

posted at 12:01 pm on September 6, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

In 2008, the youth vote was practically gift-wrapped for President Obama, with larger-than-average numbers of starry-eyed, enthusiastic, inspired under-30s showing up at the polls to vote overwhelmingly in his favor. Obama barely even had to do any real work to convince them that he was their guy — the pervasive sentiments of Hopenchange and his totally sweet graphic designs were enough to get the job done. Obama’s been losing some of his steam with the youth vote for a time now, and as Karl Rove penned in today’s WSJ, it looks like cold, hard reality might finally be forcing the youths to wise up:

Then there are voters ages 18 to 29, among Mr. Obama’s most important supporters in 2008. The roughly 23.7 million “millennials” who voted in 2008 were 18% of the electorate, up 2.9 million voters over the previous presidential race. They gave Mr. Obama 66% to Sen. John McCain’s 32%, according to exit polls. This margin of roughly eight million votes was a major chunk of Mr. Obama’s overall edge of 9.6 million.

But youthful enthusiasm for Mr. Obama has waned. In October 2008, 78% of voters 18-29 told Gallup they would definitely vote that year. Now it’s 58%.

There’s also evidence that fewer younger people are registered. A November 2011 study from Tufts University found that 43% of the decline in Nevada’s voter rolls since 2008 came from voters ages 18-24. Similarly, while North Carolina’s rolls rose by 93,709 over that period, more than 48,000 younger voters were dropped from the rolls, 80% of them Democrats.

Mr. Obama’s lead over Mr. Romney in the latest JZ Analytics poll among voters ages 18-29 is 49% to 41%. If young voters turn out this fall in the same numbers as in 2008 and give Mr. Obama this eight-point margin, it will take 2.8 million votes from Mr. Obama’s total and add more than 3.3 million to Mr. Romney’s tally.

Somehow, I don’t think it’s any of the young idealists’ normally pet-issues of climate change or ending the wars or whatever that’s causing them to turn tail from supporting the President — but our lately meager economic growth and the almost 13 percent unemployment rate among those aged 18-29 might have something to do with it. As more students graduating from high school and college during Obama’s tenure have remained guests on their parents’ couches, frustrated and unemployed/underemployed, promises of lowering their student loan repayments by a few dollars and letting them stay on their parents’ health care plans until they’re 26 flipping years old (culture of dependency, much?), have worn increasingly thin. Finding good jobs that can provide them with their own health care plans are becoming somewhat more of a priority.

It isn’t for lack of trying to spellbind — er, I mean, persuade — the youths, however; President Obama has increased his campus presence 175 percent in 2012, according to a study from American Majority Action (granted, it is a presidential election year, but the amount of time he spends talking about his ‘investments’ in green energy and education and whatnot seems somewhat disproportionate with the importance most voters place on jobs and the economy):

President Obama spoke 13 times on college and high school campuses in August alone—more than any other month of his Presidency, according to a new study from American Majority Action’s Campus Action project. Desperate to try to energize a youth vote that is starting down a long unemployment line, the study shows that since January 2012, the President has increased his presence on college campuses by a staggering 175 percent over last year’s appearances.

President Obama has appeared on campus one out of every ten days since his administration began. … However, during this year’s reelection campaign Obama has already appeared 44 times on campuses with 37 of those in “swing” states.  All of the last 26 speeches to colleges were in states that are critical to his reelection. …

Even more telling about Chicago’s concern over a dip in the youth vote for the President this year, Obama has largely avoided mentioning the economy during his campus stops.  Just like he’s avoided meeting with his Jobs Council for six months, Obama has instead focused on telling students about ObamaCare and student loan aid.

Our national debt just topped $16 trillion this week — so get it together, youths. Who’s going to pay for that, do you suppose? We are. Don’t let President Obama dangling free contraception, student-loan repayment help, and renewable energy projects (all of which, by the way, you’re going to end up paying for in the long run, anyways) in your face distract you from the real issues. There’s only one party that’s been focused like a laser on our debt, entitlement reform, jobs, and the economy (hint: It ain’t the Democrats, either).

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Uhhhh, NO JOBS!!
/BISHOP!

Khun Joe on September 6, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Hey Erika:
You need to post the Crazy eyes girl from Duke photo
with this thread, IMO

ToddPA on September 6, 2012 at 12:04 PM

The historic moment has passed.

BlueCollarAstronaut on September 6, 2012 at 12:04 PM

…until their 26 flipping years old (culture of dependency, much?)…

Erika, you’re doing great work, but this should be they’re, not their.

TouchingTophet on September 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Gee, I guess the War on Children has consequences after all.

RobertMN on September 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM

When you are young, have tons of debt, no job (or a job that you either hate, did not study for, or that underpays you), you are less likely to vote for an empty suit with empty rhetoric.

It is that simple. All the talk of abortion, staying on your parents health plan until you are 25 (which was already the case if you were a student, including grad school), graduated student loan repayment, etc.., is just a distration.

milcus on September 6, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Am I going to have to say Michael Moore was right?

MeatHeadinCA on September 6, 2012 at 12:06 PM

That would be a net loss of 6.1 million votes out of the 9.6 million margin he won by. And that’s just from young voters. That would be disastrous.

Doughboy on September 6, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Maybe it’s because young voters are starting to realize that if everybody belongs to the government, then everybody is a slave to a Marxist tyranny.

SWalker on September 6, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Hit the youth hard with the Medicare / Obamacare argument. Obamacare and a bankrupt Medicare is going to raise their taxes and bankrupt this country and seriously compromise their future medical care. Of all people, it is the youth that should be on board Romney’s proposed medical care reforms.

anotherJoe on September 6, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Young voters think Clinton is a creepy old pervert.

faraway on September 6, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Perhaps they have realized by the time they reach middle age they’ll all either be in the soup line or the unemployment line. Except for those getting welfare, medicaid and food stamps.

rplat on September 6, 2012 at 12:09 PM

milcus on September 6, 2012 at 12:06 PM

You forgot the tons of debt accumulated in their name by “the one”

Animal60 on September 6, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Via InstaPundit:

My sister, who is very apolitical, posted this on Facebook which shows the trouble the War on Women narrative is having for the younger generation.

“I don’t normally get political, but this one struck a nerve. Do I think women in the same careers as men deserve the same pay? Well, yes. But here’s my problem: both those men and women HAVE ****ing CAREERS. Do you really expect me to be concerned and outraged for those women and their glass ceiling when the the majority of college educated women (and men) of my generation are still stuck outside in our proverbial cardboard boxes in back alleys, shining shoes and
selling papers just to survive?”

She’s got a M.Ed. but can’t find a job teaching, and so is going back to school for speech pathology. I’m a licensed attorney working in a shoe shop. I can’t think of a comment that better encapsulates the frustration we have at out-of-touch politicians.

Socratease on September 6, 2012 at 12:11 PM

My 18 year old son is angry with MooChelle for taking away his French Fries at High School. Because of that, he’ll be voting for Mitt.

I found it hilarious.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on September 6, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Growing up is hard. I brooded for days when I found out about Santa Claus. Free stuff just didn’t have the same appeal when I learned someone was paying for it.

a capella on September 6, 2012 at 12:11 PM

3/4 of the people that you can normally count on not to vote that voted for Barack Obama last time will not be voting this time. They just don’t care. In 2008, they got caught up in the ‘history’ and ‘cult of personality’ aspects of that election. There is no history to be made this time and the cult of personality isn’t there because the emperor has no clothes.

Corporal Tunnel on September 6, 2012 at 12:12 PM

“omg omg omg omg President KickAss is gonna give me a job, a car, a house, pay off my student loans, and I can totally get all the abortions I’ll ever need omg omg omg omg”

Jeddite on September 6, 2012 at 12:12 PM

10 p.m.

NBC: Cowboys-Giants (20.2 million, 12.7/20)
CBS: Democratic National Convention (3.9 million, 2.7/4)
ABC: Democratic National Convention (3.5 million, 2.5/4)

Network ratings. Looks like there was a tad more interest for the game.

rubberneck on September 6, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Network ratings. Looks like there was a tad more interest for the game.

rubberneck on September 6, 2012 at 12:12 PM

They were looking for a winning coach.

faraway on September 6, 2012 at 12:14 PM

The extra per-employee burden on employers is also a huge disincentive to adding new hires.

Socratease on September 6, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Like, I mean, um, you know, I, um, you know, I mean, like, I’ll vote for him, like, I mean, I’ll, um, vote for him again. Um, I mean, he’s, like, gonna, um, pay my student loans off.

- Youthful Voter

OhEssYouCowboys on September 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Network ratings. Looks like there was a tad more interest for the game.

rubberneck on September 6, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Heh. IIRC, the Yankees play tonight.

a capella on September 6, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Voters who were in college in 2008 are now graduated–how many of them are still in their parents’ house, “staring at a faded Obama poster”, wondering when they will find their first job? They may turn to Romney this time…but what about today’s college students who were in high school in 2008 and couldn’t vote then?

Steve Z on September 6, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Erika, you’re doing great work, but this should be they’re, not their.

TouchingTophet on September 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I’m sure she knows that.
In a world where we gots to get things out quickly without days to proofread, I myself always make those type of typographical errors. Some examples: I say their instead of there, and for an, our instead of are, and what makes me look the stupidest, and I did this at least once, I said when instead of win. I say: give people a break on there typography and typos. You cant when um all!

anotherJoe on September 6, 2012 at 12:16 PM

…there’s still a good number of kids that are happy in moms basement!

KOOLAID2 on September 6, 2012 at 12:18 PM

You can only get all wee-weed up about voting for the first black president once.

The Rogue Tomato on September 6, 2012 at 12:18 PM

In 2008, the youth vote was practically gift-wrapped for President Obama….showing up at the polls to vote overwhelmingly in his favor.

Yeah in many states, they’ll only be able to vote once at the polling station on their picture ID. Lots of college students voting at home and at college last time…

Youngs98 on September 6, 2012 at 12:19 PM

bbbbut….Surely Scarlett and Natalie will save the day

workingclass artist on September 6, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Because the underminding of the genre has become the genre, bro.

Ben Hur on September 6, 2012 at 12:24 PM

O/T but you people have got to see this if you haven’t already.

Liam on September 6, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I’m still laughing because the NFL beat out Bubba in the ratings last night!

pilamaye on September 6, 2012 at 12:27 PM

bbbbut….Surely Scarlett and Natalie will save the day

workingclass artist on September 6, 2012 at 12:22 PM

At this point, only if they bring a pole with them.

pilamaye on September 6, 2012 at 12:28 PM

bbbbut….Surely Scarlett and Natalie will save the day

workingclass artist on September 6, 2012 at 12:22 PM

If Obama can’t win votes on his record, it’s sure-fire some T&A will do the trick!

~raaaaaazzzzzzzzzz~

Liam on September 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM

anotherJoe on September 6, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I don’t think “you can’t win ’em all” is an acceptable rationale for “so don’t bother trying,” nor do I think that “things are too fast” excuses sloppiness by professionals.

The bottom line is that I respect this site, and I want to see its operators put forth the best possible presentation. If I’m not demanding money or excoriating Erika as an idiot due to her spelling error, what’s the harm in my pointing out an indisputable opportunity for improvement? Don’t we want the best on all fronts from the people on our side?

TouchingTophet on September 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM

My son is 19 and voting for Romney. He’s a libertarian at heart and flirted with Ron Paul but couldn’t get past the anti-Semitism and foreign isolationism. He REALLY likes Paul Ryan.

He was in high school in 2008 and hated all the cheerleading by his union teachers for Obama. A lot of young people under age 22 feel this way. Questioning Authority to them means being a Republican! It pisses off all the right people, including a lot of their parents!

rockmom on September 6, 2012 at 12:34 PM

bbbbut….Surely Scarlett and Natalie will save the day

workingclass artist on September 6, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Natalie has dropped out.

Replaced by Kerry Washington. BTW, her last movie was… wait for it… Black Panther.

faraway on September 6, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Growing up is hard. I brooded for days when I found out about Santa Claus. Free stuff just didn’t have the same appeal when I learned someone I was paying for it.

a capella on September 6, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Fixed it for ya.

Tenwheeler on September 6, 2012 at 12:38 PM

O/T but you people have got to see this if you haven’t already.

Liam on September 6, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I don’t usually watch the Daily Show but watched the first 20 minutes last night. It was a Dem bash-fest. First they were ripping on the inability to get past security into the convention hall. Next were clips of all the ridiculous things the speakers thought about Obama and the work he does – with a hilarious recitation by John Oliver about how Obama saved him from choking on a hot dog then personally chewed another hot dog for him. Finally the Party of Inclusion thing was pure gold.

HawaiiLwyr on September 6, 2012 at 12:39 PM

…what’s the harm in my pointing out an indisputable opportunity for improvement?

In this instance, which isn’t like a father working to teach a young kid math, it’s…

1. nit picking

2. being anal retentive

3. being a spelling/grammar Nazi without me calling out Nazis

4. nagging

5. demanding perfection of others when a nagging nit-picking anal retentive spelling/grammar Nazi has to first make mention of a tiny ‘miss’, then feels need to make a whiny self-defensive Federal case for being a nagging nit-picking anal retentive spelling/grammar Nazi when the nagging nit-picking anal retentive spelling/grammar Nazi isn’t perfect, either.

That about cover it?

Liam on September 6, 2012 at 12:40 PM

The Most MASTERFUL Piece of SABOTAGE Yet! Bill Clinton #Eastwooding the DNC with his own empty chair.

Mutnodjmet on September 6, 2012 at 12:41 PM

My daughter who is 17yo (turns 18 on 11/10/2012) is very ticked off that she’s not eligible to vote this ass-clown out of office. Even at the tender age of 17 she realizes the mess that Obambi has this country in and the lack of leadership to do anything about it. Bless her heart!

mrmagoo on September 6, 2012 at 12:42 PM

That about cover it?

Liam on September 6, 2012 at 12:40 PM

BAM!

Tenwheeler on September 6, 2012 at 12:43 PM

eRika are not an good righter.

Rusty Allen on September 6, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Network ratings. Looks like there was a tad more interest for the game.

Funny how they went on and on and on and on about “Honey Boo Boo” beating out the RNC on one channel (but suspiciously ignored the combined ratings of all the networks carrying it), but there’s nothing about this.

crazy_legs on September 6, 2012 at 12:43 PM

HawaiiLwyr on September 6, 2012 at 12:39 PM

A friend sent me the clip. I never expected Jon to do something like that, which made it all the more hilarious.

Not to stretch too much, but when popular pro-Dem people rank on Democrats, their Party is doing something wrong.

Liam on September 6, 2012 at 12:43 PM

And yet American Crossroads has pulled its Romney ads from MI. And the Romney campaign itself has pulled its ads from PA.

If only you had had more sons when you were younger.

casuist on September 6, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: I have no sympathy for all those little millennials who breathlessly voted for HopeAndChange in 2008 and now find themselves living in their parents’ basements while they try to find a job–any job–in the Obama economy.

If they wake up now and get over their faith in government and false Messiahs with jug ears of clay, well, better late than never.

MidniteRambler on September 6, 2012 at 12:46 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on September 6, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Talk about your unintended consequences. If your son feels that way, there’s a pretty good chance that other youts do as well. Think of it as an object lesson for the youts on nanny state control of personal choices. All the indoctrination in the school meets the harsh reality of some unelected person in the government telling you that you can’t have french fries for lunch and “it’s for your own good”. I can see that not sitting well with a typical teenager.

AZfederalist on September 6, 2012 at 12:46 PM

bbbbut….Surely Scarlett and Natalie will save the day

workingclass artist on September 6, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I think it’s funny that one of Obama’s high-profile Hollywood supporters is a woman best known for lying about doing her own ballet dancing in that Black Swan movie.

I’m Natalie Portman, and I’m here to tell you that Obama is the best candidate for president. Trust me . . . would I lie to you (again)? No, really, I mean it. Honest . . . er, uh . . . . trust me, please. I’m really not lying this time. Cross my heart!

AZCoyote on September 6, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Young voters think Clinton is a creepy old pervert.

faraway on September 6, 2012 at 12:08 PM

You are right. Those young voters learned the definition of “oral sex” at a young age. That’s all their parents and the media were talking about when they werr tots.

skeeterbite on September 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

So… the pied piping communist’s magic isn’t working as good as it used to in ’08?

Big surprise.

Dumbo may have created a generation of Republicans.

LSUtigers on September 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Liam on September 6, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I wish that you’d quit beating around the bush, and get to your point.

;O)

Couldn’t agree with you more. It’s petty, pointless, pitiful and … and … pefunctory! Yes, perfunctory!

Erika is my favorite thread poster. Her sarcasm and contempt for our enemy does wonders for me.

OhEssYouCowboys on September 6, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Liam on September 6, 2012 at 12:40 PM

So my well-intentioned spelling correction means I support the destructive advance of Leviathan. You’re usually pretty insightful, Liam, but you’re coming off pretty hysterical here.

Yes, I’d like to see good grammar in a reputable conservative publication. That you’re flipping out in defense of spelling mistakes and suggesting that I shut up rather than point them out is just bizarre.

Anyway, I’m not interested in hijacking the thread with this; hopefully Erika noticed my comment and will correct her piece. In the meantime, you can stop wringing your hands over the incipient People’s Glorious Grammar Revolution.

TouchingTophet on September 6, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Not to be an Eeyore, but from Barry’s point of view there is nothing wrong with young voters’ enthusiasm for HopeAndChange 2012 that federal decriminalization of marijuana and an amnesty for outstanding student loans won’t fix.

MidniteRambler on September 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Maybe the Youth of America will avoid the mistake of their European counterparts and figure out that the sacrifices of socialism come from the youngest workers. Established middle aged bureaucrats have no worries in passing laws that stop expansion which trickles down after promotions in a company to entry level jobs

Conan on September 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

It’s as Paul Ryan said during his acceptance speech. Hard to be enthused with this administration when you’ve graduated from college but instead of starting out in life, you’re sleeping in a race car bed in your parent’s house because you can’t find a job.

Happy Nomad on September 6, 2012 at 12:54 PM

rockmom on September 6, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Isn’t it interesting that all those Hippies who hated the ‘Establishment’ have become the Establishment? And now they’re facing a counter-culture like they still take pride in being forty years ago, but can’t handle or even understand being on the opposite side of the fence today.

Liam on September 6, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Told my two youngest at home that the IRS would have to throw me in jail before I barked up the bucks for their health insurance until they’re 26. Also told them they’re pipe dreaming if they thought I’d go into student loan debt.

I think the many parents of the youth voters cut them off dollar wise from their indoctrinating college education. If that didn’t make them open their eyes, then there’s not much more that would

skeeterbite on September 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

TouchingTophet on September 6, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I’m sure that you didn’t mean anything by it; but it’s far better to post your thoughts about the insidious malignancy of The Commie and his filthy ilk, than to post a grammatical correction concerning something that was, most likely, a simple, hurried oversight of sweet Erika’s.

OhEssYouCowboys on September 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

The youth realized quickly that Obama is just words. Reminds me of a cool song from the ’80s, performed by Berlin, called “No More Words”.

No More Words
No More Words
You’re Telling Me You Love Me
While You’re Walkin’ Away

Today’s youth expect Adults to back up words with results. Attention spans are short enough already without wasting precious time and energy on empty-promises and lies.

HoosierStateofMind on September 6, 2012 at 12:57 PM

MidniteRambler on September 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

My brother, who’s firmly in the generation Erika’s talking about here, told me once in a long discussion that he doesn’t really care about any issue that doesn’t “directly affect” him. Housing, wars, economy, you name it. That all of those issues are paramount to how he lives his life is completely lost on him – or else he just refuses to admit it.

And of course, apathy for politics notwithstanding, he supports Obama. He likes the way Obama makes him feel, and he doesn’t want to look too much into the “nitty-gritty” of Obama’s politics or record lest the results make him “cynical.”

So I’m pretty worried that he’s the norm in this age group rather than the exception, even in 2012. The info in Erika’s post is reassuring, but my personal anecdotal evidence (not just my brother) is damning.

TouchingTophet on September 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM

TouchingTophet on September 6, 2012 at 12:50 PM

You very seriously need a sense of humor. But I’ll be more than happy to share my Chill Pills with you, if you like.

Liam on September 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM

rockmom on September 6, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Besides being brilliant, Ryan goes a long way to making Obama look tired and out-of-touch. Especially with the young people who don’t even have a clue why Bill Clinton speaking is such a big deal to Democrats.

Happy Nomad on September 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on September 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

There are far more adroit commentators here to do that! As I said before, Erika is on fire in the scathing analysis department. I expect that she’s woman enough to be able to deal with a nudge in the right direction on the grammar front.

You very seriously need a sense of humor.

Liam on September 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM

INCONSISTENT – DOES NOT COMPUTE. ABORT. ABORT.

TouchingTophet on September 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I think the youth, 18-29 years old would still vote 65% for Obama and 35% for Romney. However I think that there will be 3 to 5 million less of them voting in 2012 than in 2008 which means that it would be a disaster for Obama because he cannot make up this massive lost of votes from any other loyal democrat group…

mnjg on September 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM

TouchingTophet on September 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM

A big part of Obama’s appeal was, and still is, the celebrity Preezy thing. Young hipsters want a President they think is hip. I was fighting this attitude 35 years ago as a College Republican and a Young Republican. Republicans are still thought of as old white guys who are nerds and massively uncool. That’s why Paul Ryan matters so much for the future of the GOP, as well as the younger people we saw last week like Marco Rubio and Susana Martinez.

One thing I love about Reince Priebus is that he has hired a bunch of young people and turned them loose on social media. He’s starting to build a brand that by 2016 will have the Republicans looking like the cool dudes and the Democrats like the old farts.

rockmom on September 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM

This time around, Mom and Pop’s are out of work or have much less money and are telling their kids to go get a part time job.

As far as voting for obamunist this November:

No DOUGH-No Go

Philo Beddoe on September 6, 2012 at 1:11 PM

TouchingTophet on September 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Suggestion: Do as I do–save the snarky corrections for the trolls, and send your corrections to tips@hotair.com.

BuckeyeSam on September 6, 2012 at 1:12 PM

You forgot the tons of debt accumulated in their name by “the one”

Animal60 on September 6, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Honestly, that is not really a factor for most. Unless something is done, the country will continue on a similar path where many people do not pay taxes, and the top 1-5% will pay their “fair share” (because no matter who the President has been, no one has gotten rid of this ridiculous tax system). So, the burden of paying back the debt will fall on people who make the most.

The only answer is going to be Mitt Romney or Paul Ryan/Marco Rubio (who if Obama is re-elected, will have a 99.99% chance of being the next president in 2016), reducing the deficit, and most importantly, reforming the tax code so that everyone has skin in the game. The current system of letting people making under 50k pay nothing, or very little during their working years, then encoruage them to retire, and give them stuff that they have never paid their “fair share” for is ridiculous, and needs to be reformed. There needs to be a fair tax (Mitt Romney’s idea is fine). And once the next Republican president does that, he needs to then reform the entitlement system to curb abuses and add a market element to how revenue is generated to pay for the system.

milcus on September 6, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Waking up slowly…bit too slowly though…

jimver on September 6, 2012 at 1:14 PM

mnjg on September 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM

And the media will rend their garments over the millions of “missing” youth voters, all the while gaily ignoring the real “missing” youths.

TouchingTophet on September 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM

10 p.m.

NBC: Cowboys-Giants (20.2 million, 12.7/20)
CBS: Democratic National Convention (3.9 million, 2.7/4)
ABC: Democratic National Convention (3.5 million, 2.5/4)
Network ratings. Looks like there was a tad more interest for the game.

rubberneck on September 6, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Conventions mean absolutely nothing and the TV ratings prove it… They are a only big deal, like most other things in Politics, for political junkies… The majority of voters would vote on the based on the reality on the ground which is the Economy, jobs, debt, deficit, and of course Obama utterly failed record… No amount of speeches in a convention is going to change this fact…

mnjg on September 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I’m glad to say that it didn’t take my 20 year old daughter as long as it took me to wake up from our liberal stupor. She’s got her absentee ballot here in PA, and will proudly vote R&R come November.

I know it’s just anecdotal, but I keep telling her that she gives me hope that maybe not all is lost.

mexdem on September 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Anyone who is 18-29 now was born between September 1982 and August 1994. They turned age 16 between September 1998 and August 2010. In their working lifetime, they have never seen employment this low.

They were used to the employment levels that we enjoyed for 12 straight years of majority Republican control, from January 1995 to December 2006. The average Employment-population ratio over those 12 years was 63.3%, and Bush and the Republican Congress actually ended 2006 just slightly above average at 63.4%.

Millenials helped give Democrats control of Congress in the 2006 elections, and were then blindsided when the Democrats drove the economy into the ditch.

The average Employment-population ratio over since Democrats took majority control of Washington, D.C. in January 2007 has been 60.1%. The average since Obama became President is 58.7%, and Obama has not been above that average since August 2009. He’s gone three straight years at or below his average. July was 58.4%, three-tenths of a point below his average.

And what was the average under Jimmy Carter? (Not that any millenials know what that was like)
59.1%

Obama is officially worse than Carter. And millenials have learned what it’s like to live in an economy that is worse than it was under Carter.

The WORST month under Bush was better than the BEST month under Obama.

Any millenial that wants to have a job during the next four years would be wise to vote Romney/Ryan.

ITguy on September 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM

TouchingTophet on September 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM

This forum is precisely for you to post your thoughts about The Commie and his nest of apparatchiks. And I’d rather read those thoughts, than your thoughts about grammatical mistakes.

I’m movin’ on.

OhEssYouCowboys on September 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM

If only you had had more sons when you were younger.

casuist on September 6, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I am not certain that what you are saying is correct but even if true it is meaningless because Romney does not need these two states to win… Per my elections Prediction model these are the toughest two states to win among all the battleground states. If I assume that 3% of Obama voters from 2008 stay home in these two states, a very probable scenario based on the enthusiasm gap this year, Romney still need 19% of Obama “White Voters” from 2008 to switch and vote for him in Michigan and Pennsylvania in order for him to win these two states… This is very hard to accomplish…

mnjg on September 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

…promises of lowering their student loan repayments by a few dollars and letting them stay on their parents’ health care plans until their 26 flipping years old…

Their?

Their?

Erika, you’re not writing for the Ghostown Gazette. And I’m assuming you draw a paycheck.

D@mn. Be a professional.

Typhoon on September 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

INCONSISTENT – DOES NOT COMPUTE. ABORT. ABORT.

TouchingTophet on September 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I’m really opposed to abortion, so please don’t do that to yourself.

Or, in this instance, would it be called suicide?

Liam on September 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

TouchingTophet on September 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM

It’s usually the norm when the kids come from a politically low info family, union family (Teachers), or they’re minorities (black, sometimes Hispanic).

What I’ve found from talking to young people is, that whenever you meet someone who’s conservative, It’s usually because one day they just snapped out of it. Some event in their life caused them to reevaluate their politics and say “WTF was I thinking?” I’ve never met anyone who was young and told me they were always conservative.

his has alot to do with the literal brainwashing that goes on in places of “education” all up through public schooling, and college campuses. If you haven’t been in a classroom for a while, you have NO idea how bad it really is now. The peer pressure to think, act and vote liberal coming from teachers and authority figures, as well as friends who’ve eaten up everything these “educators” tell them is strong. it also doesn’t help that the GOP has virtually no outreach programs for young Americans, and has simply chosen to ignore the youth vote.

Start taking a page from Ron Paul’s playbook. It would be hilarious to me if the GOP came out in favor of decriminalizing weed and made Choom king Barry look like an idiot, scrambling to try and recapture the millions of new youth voters the GOP would suddenly acquire.

1984 in real life on September 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Man…I blew that. Nevermind.

Typhoon on September 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I’ve got two newly-minted voters in my family, one is 21 and about to be a college graduate, the other is 18 and enjoys watching ‘The Five’.

From our household, what was two ‘All-Republican’ button pushes in 2008, has now doubled to four in 2012.

Carnac on September 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM

rockmom on September 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I tend to bristle at the emphasis on “cool” in politics, wherever it pops up. Of course it’s good to engage the youth, but “cool” is a bad foundation for support because it’s so ephemeral, and it relies on conformity and peer pressure, which makes it difficult to stick to principles.

I’d rather either persuade the youth that competence is what’s important or convince them that politics by its nature isn’t cool, and they therefore shouldn’t vote until they’re ready to put aside childish things. (It kind of looks like the latter is what’s happening now.)

TouchingTophet on September 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Liam on September 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I think there’s a penumbra in the Democratic platform that allows self-abortion through the 270th trimester.

TouchingTophet on September 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I’m movin’ on.

OhEssYouCowboys on September 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Glad you’ve caught up.

TouchingTophet on September 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM

TouchingTophet on September 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM

You know, TT, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Dems had that. But only for Conservatives, of course.

Liam on September 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM

1984 in real life on September 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Many conservatives talk about family values, but do an awful job of instilling conservative values in their kids, which leads them to be swayed by the non-sense spewed by college professors. That is part of the problem.

However, to get back to the snapping event, for most people it is the first paycheck when they reach a significant salary, and see how much money is taken from them. And for many young people that does not happen in their 20′s (especially so under Obama). But once people reach 50k (or whatever you equate with a large salary), that stunning event happens.

milcus on September 6, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Carnac on September 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Greg Gutfeld is one of my favorite people on TV right now. Red Eye is a hilarious show, and the perfect example of the kind of the kind of conservatism that appeals to young people who are tired of the liberal BS. I love it when he makes OLD, tired, and UNCOOL Lib idiot Bob Beckel look like an idiot on the Five everyday too. I’d really love it if Fox put Red Eye on primetime against the Daily Show, Gutfeld has real potential to be the Right’s version of Stewart.

1984 in real life on September 6, 2012 at 1:43 PM

TouchingTophet on September 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM

No harm no foul. Not a big deal. But, as long as you understand and accept that you sound pedantic. And as Erika is young she might take it as an affront to her level of literacy… so delicacy could be called for in this case. But I agree with you in principle.
Yet if we are going to be pedantic, though, I’m going to give -my- pet peeve. And this doesn’t show up in print. Educated people say OFtEN with a silent T, but you are getting more and more people saying ofTen with a hard T. Just like you don’t say sofTen with a hard T; it’s SOFt-en, not SOFTen. Before 1950 the dictionary didn’t even have OFTen as an acceptable pronunciation. I read that it is a now a common pronunciation of those that are trying to appear more educated, but they only come off sounding less educated. Stupid. What’s perplexing is those that may have like a Yale Phd that do the OFTen thing.

anotherJoe on September 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM

milcus on September 6, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Not quite as simple as you postulate, though I see your point.

I have been a staunch Conservative since the moment my wife said she was pregnant the first time. I used to be a pro-abortion liberal, and was a new believer in Christianity back then. I had to make a decision, which resulted in both my son and my adherence to Conservative politics.

I raised my children (I have a daughter, too) in a Conservative household, far as politics are concerned. I also raised my children to have their own minds, make them independent persons with free choice.

And guess what?

They both lean left and will vote again for Obama.

I can see your point, but I didn’t raise robots. I also believe no parent should.

My view is that, if a Conservative parent has liberal children, it’s no ‘failure’. A true liberty-loving Conservative offers to God and Country adults with their own minds and free will.

Besides, once reality sets in, smart people who lean left will come back to our side. To me, no words are sweeter than, “Gee, Dad. You were right!”

Just an idea, if you will.

Liam on September 6, 2012 at 2:01 PM

To all you people thinking you’re correcting Erika’s spelling, please reread that sentence; and you’ll realize that if you read the whole sentence in context, she used the correct word. You just haven’t let the sentence flow.

FoxyLady on September 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Have young people learned a real-life lesson about falling for demagoguery?

CrustyB on September 6, 2012 at 2:39 PM

anotherJoe on September 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I agree with you 100% on “often.” People should be soft-ening that T into nonexistence.

I don’t have a problem with sounding pedantic, though I don’t think these are minute details. On the contrary, I find them very important, which I understand makes me weird. But I want everyone in our movement to put his or her best foot forward in every regard, so I’ll use what pittance of talent I have to help that happen (however pedantically!). And speaking of which:

FoxyLady on September 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM

This is incorrect; there is no way to justify “their” here, whatever your opinion on “flow.” A possessive pronoun (“their”) has to take a noun; the phrase “26 years old” is an adjective. (“Twenty-six-year-old,” on the other hand, can be a noun, and “their 26-year-old would make grammatical sense, though it would make for gibberish in this particular context.)

Therefore, Erika should have used “they’re” here, with “26 years old” modifying the noun (specifically, the pronoun) “they.”

TouchingTophet on September 6, 2012 at 2:40 PM

And damned if I didn’t forget to close a pair of quotation marks. Should be “the phrase ‘their 26-year-old’ would make grammatical sense[.]”

TouchingTophet on September 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM

TouchingTophet on September 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM

See what I’m saying!
In the modern blog world we have to rush it out, and, sure, we try, within strict time limits, but we don’t usually print it out and double check every comma, and then reread it the next day.
Nevertheless I am sympathetic with your pedantic plight because I totally hate the hard T OFTen-ers! SOFTen the T! OFtEN. What idiots!

anotherJoe on September 6, 2012 at 3:09 PM

The loss of many of the young must be why they are lining up so many air head “celebrities” for the convention. Why would anybody care what they think?

boogieboy on September 6, 2012 at 4:44 PM

No More Words
No More Words
You’re Telling Me You Love Me
While You’re Walkin’ Away

HoosierStateofMind on September 6, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I remember that one, one of their lesser known songs.

I think they(she?) are most popular for “Take My Breath Away” (from Top Gun)

cableguy615 on September 6, 2012 at 8:54 PM

“We are.” Erm, only if “we” means those under 65 to 70. Those older by in large don’t have the assets that would make trying to get them to pay for it worthwhile.

I HAD those assets until the Democrats tanked the economy and screwed us on the automaker and bank bailouts. So I’ve been tapped pretty hard already. So now its YOUR and your contemporaries turn to put on the yoke Obama, Clinton, ACORN, and progressives (both parties mostly misnamed Democratic Party) have forged.

{o.o}