posted at 6:41 pm on September 6, 2012 by Allahpundit

Here’s the schedule. Tonight’s show began at 4:30 p.m. ET, but things don’t really start rolling until “Barack’s Angels” formally bestow Hollywood’s benediction sometime between 7:30 and 8. Then comes Caroline Kennedy to remind America that what you think is the sun is really just Teddy’s angelic smile, shining down from heaven upon The One’s good works; then Eva Longoria and careerist loser Charlie Crist; and then John Kerry, who once lost a presidential election in part due to flip-flopping, who’s going to try to get away with a line like this.

After that comes our garrulous moron of a VP to explain how Romney’s gon’ put y’all back in chains (Democrats have pushed him out of primetime in favor of Dick Durbin) and then, at long last, the man of the hour. If you’re wondering how far the goalposts have moved, Joel Pollak summarizes Clinton’s message last night elegantly:

“Yes We Can” became “No One Could Have” – Americans should not, Clinton urged, be disappointed in President Obama for failing to achieve the great things he promised in his soaring speeches–or even the bare minimum that we had expected. It was never actually possible, given the state the country had been in. “No president–not me or any of my predecessors could have repaired all the damage in just four years,” Clinton said.

That excuse is not only an acknowledgement of failure, but an admission of fraud. If he had not promised to do more, and to be more, than any other politician, Barack Obama would not only have lost the election in 2008–he would also have lost the primary to his rival, Hillary Clinton. At the time, Bill called Obama’s rhetoric what it was: a “fairy tale.” Today, Clinton is a willing accomplice to Obama’s bait-and-switch confidence game.

Quite so. I like Timothy Carney’s formulation too:

Read Philip Klein to refresh your memory of what that 20x entailed. The golfer-in-chief is going to ask for a mulligan tonight because, as it turns out, slowing the rise of the oceans wasn’t something his superpowers were able to handle. (Almost no one at the convention is talking about the oceans these days.) Even the Onion can’t resist marking the occasion by goofing on his ridiculous overpromising. Quote:

With the 2012 Democratic National Convention now under way in Charlotte, Beltway observers are reporting that the mood inside the Time Warner Cable Arena remains spirited and optimistic, despite a noticeable lack of the delusional, completely-out-of-touch-with-reality magic that characterized the event four years ago…

“Obviously, people are never going to be seized by the exact same patently bullshit sense of destiny they were last time around, but I would like to see this convention have at least a little more of the totally deceptive electricity we saw in Denver,” convention attendee David Lowell said. “I think maybe in the next day or two people will really start to build up to moronically thinking real change is finally on its way.”

Political analysts have said that if Obama wants to regain momentum, he must use the 2012 convention to reproduce the spirit of unexamined and wholly unearned confidence that propelled millions of deluded young people to the polls in 2008, and must persuade those who voted for him four years ago that their sad, childlike trust was not misplaced.

Here’s your thread to track this year’s ridiculous overpromising, which apparently will include a section on entitlement reform. If that sounds familiar, it should. While we wait, via BuzzFeed, here’s a video trip down memory lane for the only man in America who likes Obama more today than he did four years ago. I’ll leave you with this from ABC, a strong candidate for headline of the year after 42 months of 8+ percent unemployment:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 25

Last week an empty chair.

Tonight an empty stadium.

UnderstandingisPower on September 6, 2012 at 6:43 PM

…in telling the story! (LIES)

KOOLAID2 on September 6, 2012 at 6:44 PM

The only way I’ll watch any of tnight’s festivities is f hubby actually clicks on CSPAN.
Will trust y’all for any feedback.
Sigh.

pambi on September 6, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Obama’s best strategy would be to run against Obama. Just pretend that it’s been Bush in the White House these last almost 4 years.

VorDaj on September 6, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Breaking: Obama to announce abortion stimulus

The Count on September 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM

A one term proposition.

rbj on September 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Sun? I thought it was Teddy, drunk and lighting his farts, again.

Blake on September 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM

The Dems are wasting their money on this dud of a convention.

No one is that excited to watch any of it.

Clinton’s speech last night was a total flop. Was just all about making excuses for the Obama failure.

bluegill on September 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM

When does Biden speak?

Blake on September 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I hope he speaks slowly and uses small words for all us flyover dimwits; it’s a messaging problem, you know.

Bishop on September 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM

President Born-Alive-Let-em-Die will be accepting the nomination tonight….

With the complete blessing of the Holocaust machine known as Planned Parenthood.

All hail the American God that is Baracka Obama.

PappyD61 on September 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM

“Call me Ishmael.”

Limerick on September 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Last week an empty chair.

Tonight an empty stadium.

UnderstandingisPower on September 6, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Forward fellow democrats into the abyss.

VorDaj on September 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM

LOL at no rain in the forecast and sunny skies.

HE HE

gophergirl on September 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I was going to watch Baraka tonight, but I hate when you get paired with a guy who tells you he’s scratch, proceeds to shank it into the woods, and then asks for a mulligan.

CycloneCDB on September 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM

And by entitlement reform he of course means the government is entitled to own you.

Weight of Glory on September 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Sorry, but “Honey Boo-Boo-Child” beat Bill last night and I’ll be betting Toddlers with Tiara’s kicks Barry ass tonite. It will be in my house. If I want to be sick to my stomach I’ll go eat at Taco Bell, not by watching the liar in chief.

BettyRuth on September 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM

he Dems are wasting their money on this dud of a convention.

***No one is that excited to watch any of it.

bluegill on September 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM

***automatic 45% re-elect number for any Democrat running for a 2nd term.

PappyD61 on September 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM

What are the drinking rules for tonight?

aunursa on September 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I haven’t watched any of the convention yet, but I plan to tune in for Biden’s speech. I do want to hear from the intellect of the Democratic party.

backwoods conservative on September 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Preview of his speech:

“Crumbling roads and bridges”

“This notion that somehow…”

“investing in our schools”

“I reject this false choice”

“Let me be clear”

“CORPSE MAN!”

Kataklysmic on September 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Not one single job will be created by tonights’ speech.

Not one.

Results, Mr. President.

PappyD61 on September 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Who has the odds on Matthews appearing naked after Obama speaks?

Weight of Glory on September 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Got my drool suit and boots on for protection and this is where I bow out. Not watching one single second of it. Luckily there are plenty of good cable reruns on tonight to keep me occupied.

stukinIL4now on September 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM

What are the drinking rules for tonight?

aunursa on September 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Every time O says “I” take a shot.

You’ll be passed out before the speech is over.

Bruno Strozek on September 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Forget all about everything you see, hear and feel. Bill Clinton is in control of your TV set. Look deeply into his eyes. You are getting sleepy, very sleepy. Everything is wonderful. No one is unemployed. Gas cost only 99 cents a gallon. Sex change operations will soon be free. Not even a co-payment. College tuition will be free. The oceans will recede. The planet will heal.

VorDaj on September 6, 2012 at 6:51 PM

What are the drinking rules for tonight?

aunursa on September 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Constant.

Limerick on September 6, 2012 at 6:51 PM

When does Biden speak?

Blake on September 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM

CSPAN estimates that VP Biden will speak at 9:25 pm EST.

VP Biden will be introduced by Jill Biden at 9:10 pm EST

wren on September 6, 2012 at 6:51 PM

What are the drinking rules for tonight?

aunursa on September 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Have the phone number of your local detox handy. You’re going to need it.

backwoods conservative on September 6, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Standard “Drinking Rules” apply for tonight’s event Ladies and Gentlemen…

… Extra shots every time Obowma says “inherited”, “fair share”, “forward”, “Medicare”, “Lower Taxes”, and of course “I”.

I’ll be back later…

… I have to go stock up on a couple cases of the vintage for the show.

In the meantime, Enjoy…!

*clinky!*

Seven Percent Solution on September 6, 2012 at 6:52 PM

What are the drinking rules for tonight?

aunursa on September 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Every time O says “I” take a shot.

You’ll be passed out before the speech is over.

Bruno Strozek on September 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Who has the odds on

Matthews appearing naked after Obama speaks?

Weight of Glory on September 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM

It’s winning scenario all around if you follow my advice…

Bruno Strozek on September 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Bret Baier is reading excerpts right now. Total wagonload of donkey dung. Pack yer bags, Jug-Ears, and take that miserable shrew with you!

Naturally Curly on September 6, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Then comes Caroline Kennedy to remind America that what you think is the heat from the sun is really just Teddy’s angelic smile, shining down from heaven upon The One’s good works the heat from Teddy roasting in agony in the inner circles of Hell

Fixed

Trafalgar on September 6, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Promise 20x. Get elected. Deliver 5x. Deploy Bill Clinton to say, “nobody could have delivered 20x, re-elect this guy”

That was extremely generous of Carney. Truth is, Obama delivered -20x.

AUINSC on September 6, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Dear Mr Biden, I’ll send $50 to the DNC if you say “he’s clean”.

Limerick on September 6, 2012 at 6:54 PM

People who are much more nausea-resistant will have to watch on my behalf. I cannot stand the sound, sight, or even thought of that traitorous bastard and his bitter-clinger wife.

SnarkySam on September 6, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I will not be watching Barry because it is bad for my health. I am assuming he will blame Bush, the weather, G-d, Israel, Europe, tsunamis, etc. for everything and lie about what he plans to do in the next 4 years.

He could cut it short and say that his plan to run this nation into the ground is on track and proceeding well.

Philly on September 6, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Oooh goody! I can’t wait to hear about all the free stuff I’ll be getting in Obama’s next term.

/s

MJBrutus on September 6, 2012 at 6:56 PM

What are the drinking rules for tonight?

aunursa on September 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM

These are the rules that my Tea Party group suggests in the email they sent out today:

Success Envy Game

Tonight, if you watch the Obama speech, let’s all have a little fun and play the Success Envy Drinking Game. Take a swig of your favorite beverage (adult or non-alcoholic) every time he talks about “fair share,” taxing the wealthiest, social justice, economic justice, working families, the middle class or any other references to punishing success in America and dividing us along the way! It shouldn’t be more than 15 minutes before you are either passed out or tire of whatever it is you are drinking! And for some added torture, let’s keep count of how often he shirks any responsibility and continues to play the OBLAMinator.

wren on September 6, 2012 at 6:56 PM

This guy belongs in Hollywood–not in the White House. He’s a pretty good actor.

RBMN on September 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Matthews has strapped buckets to his feet, just in case.

Bishop on September 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Is Obama going to explain why the Democrat Party thought it was a really good idea to put out an advertisement asserting that “We all belong to the Government now?”

SWalker on September 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I’ll be waiting for him to say how much he promotes businesses and wants them to be successful so they can “invent stuff”.

Cody1991 on September 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Savior of mankind to explain where it all went wrong

…in his mother’s birth canal?

KOOLAID2 on September 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I have better and vastly more enjoyable things to do tonight, like clean my bathrooms and exfoliate my heels. I’ll check in here at the end of the evening for a lively report on Planet Healing, part deux.

pianomomma on September 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Every time O says “I” take a shot.

You’ll be passed out before the speech is over.

Bruno Strozek on September 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM

..try the first 5 minutes, old son!

The War Planner on September 6, 2012 at 6:58 PM

For sure count on endless references to that long-night-in-the-bunker.

Limerick on September 6, 2012 at 6:58 PM

When does Biden speak?

Blake on September 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM

As soon as Joe stands up?

Don L on September 6, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Dear Mr Biden, I’ll send $50 to the DNC if you say “he’s clean”.

Limerick on September 6, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I’ll chip in another $50 for “articulate” and “I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”

Trafalgar on September 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

pianomomma on September 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM

..don’t forget that septic tank and be sure to scrub those toilet bowls extra clean! I’d get at all of that lint and stuff behind the fridge as well.

The War Planner on September 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

What this really is, is a Community Agitators convention.

RBMN on September 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Brit Hume pretty much destroyed the speech already as goals and hardships, like people want to suffer more.

Conservative4ev on September 6, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Here is the schedule for the next hour:

7:00 PM – 8:00 PM (LOCAL)

Jim Messina

Assistant Democratic Leader and Member of the US House of Representatives,
South Carolina
Scarlett Johansson and Kerry Washington
Actresses

wren on September 6, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Savior of mankind to explain where it all went wrong

It all went wrong at the polling booths in November 2008. There, I just saved everyone the torment of watching Obama pontificate yet again.

cmsciulli on September 6, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Ah, the internet. What a beautiful thing.

Don’t have to watch pieces of trash like Barky 0′zer0 blather on nonsensically. Can just log on tomorrow and read the highlights.

‘night, everyone. For those who watch zer0 this eventide, hope it’s worth it!

MisterElephant on September 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Just get this charade over so we can get on with the advertisement deluge and get this jackass out of the White House. This is all too much. I just want to wake up on November 7th, exhale and then watch MSNBC all day.

salem on September 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM

The FU fighters are in the right place. Lot’s of FUs there.

RBMN on September 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM

“Dem convention, night three: Savior of mankind to explain where it all went wrong”

…hint: he’ll use “Bush” and “fault” in the same sentence.

TeaPartyNation on September 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Where’s that “BARACK OBAMA ~~ SAVIOR OF THE UNIVERSE” .wav file when you need it…?

Jeddite on September 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM

When they leave the WH will they take Shep Smith along as valet?

kenny on September 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Trafalgar on September 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

..count me in for half a kilobuck if he fires up on Gimlets and does his “The Village is..” ditty.

The War Planner on September 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I don’t think you put honorable and Clyburn in the same sentence…

sandee on September 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Obama Campaign Manager Jim Messina just said: “Voting in Iowa begins 3 weeks from today.”

If you know anybody in Iowa, call them to make sure they will vote for Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan!

wren on September 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM

2008: Used car salesman pitch Vote for me and I’ll give you all a Mercedes.
2009: Uh Mr President you promised a Mercedes. All I got is a oil burning rusty Yugo. Do I drive this to the dealership to get my Mercedes?

2011: No Mercedes, the Yugo died, gas prices through the roof, and I lost my house with a garage to store my Mercedes

2012: Hey Sucka. I have a new Mercedes for you, it won’t cost you a dime. Just pretend 2008 didn’t happen OK? It will be better this time. I promise.

2012: Can I trade in my Yugo?

2012: What do you think? we have Mercedes you can actually own. Sucka!

stormridercx4 on September 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Hopefully this speech crashes and burns and Romney takes a 20 point lead. I’m not sure I wait until 60 days for the “humpbot” to be released.

gsherin on September 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Tonights MTV VMA’s will funnel away some viewers…

The Ugly American on September 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM

ABC just said that the speech is to push status quo and not change

Loser speech from a failed President

Conservative4ev on September 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM

“Come suffer! Come suffer with me!!!”

-Reverend Barry O’Bama, First Marxist Church of Honolulu

portlandon on September 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Okay, fun lovers! It may be illegal to yell “FIRE!” in a crowded theater, but here’s someone’s chance to stampede Dems from the convention hall by yelling “RAIN!” Or “GOD!”

Someone should at least tamper with the fire sprinkler system…

de rigueur on September 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM

The War Planner on September 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Heh. Will do. That should just about get me through Biden’s speech . . . .

pianomomma on September 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM

oh, like please let there like be a video of uh Caroline uh Kennedy…I’m going out for enchiladas and margaritas during her slot

DanMan on September 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Last night with Clinton brought in more viewers than Ryan did at the RNC.

gumbyandpokey on September 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM

ABC just said that the speech is to push status quo and not change

Loser speech from a failed President

Conservative4ev on September 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Push status quo as in this is as good as it’s going to get under this guy? Such a douche.

salem on September 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Love the headline!
Nope, can’t watch it.
I do have Cabo Wabo available though for any drinking games going on here.

Colorado Anne on September 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM

After four years he finally realizes what he’s been doing wrong? Well, alrighty then, let’s re-elect him… maybe he’ll get it right this time. Practice makes perfect.

/s

theCork on September 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Chris Wallace said the speech is an old whine hahahaha

Conservative4ev on September 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Clyburn gives new meaning to the term “Angry Young Man”.

kenny on September 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Last night with Clinton brought in more viewers than Ryan did at the RNC.

gumbyandpokey on September 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM

That’s the old folks watching. Young people don’t even remember Clinton.

RBMN on September 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM

He could just clinch it all by rolling the body of Binny Boy out of a bed sheet.

Limerick on September 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Hey what’s that smell?Does anyone else smell burning troll?

sandee on September 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Last night with Clinton brought in more viewers than Ryan did at the RNC.

gumbyandpokey on September 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM

That’s a lie he had close to the same amount as Ryan

Conservative4ev on September 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Chris Wallace is reporting that King Obama’s speech tonight is really similar to his last acceptance speech.

JPeterman on September 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM

“The buck stops with you.” Barack Obama – July 13, 2012
(Yes, he REALLY said it)

TarheelBen on September 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Hopefully, Clyburn isn’t carrying Pelosi’s humungous mallet to maintain order.

kenny on September 6, 2012 at 7:08 PM

JPeterman on September 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM

And an old whine hahahhah

Conservative4ev on September 6, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Listen to the song ‘Liar’ by The Rollins Band and you will get a summary of Obama’s 1st term including his speech tonight.

Wigglesworth on September 6, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I. just. can’t. watch.

I will read all your snarky comments though. No pressure.

GeorgieGirl9 on September 6, 2012 at 7:08 PM

oh, like please let there like be a video of uh like you know Caroline uh like you know Kennedy…I’m going out like you know for enchiladas and margaritas during her like you know slot

DanMan on September 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM

VorDaj on September 6, 2012 at 7:08 PM

After that comes our garrulous moron of a VP

AP – you’re getting soft in your old age. Next time tell us how you really feel.

Laura in Maryland on September 6, 2012 at 7:08 PM

The White Guilt 2008 voters are the key……..and that’s why they are saying he just needs MORE TIME!!!

Michelle said it, Clinton said it, and tonight so will our saviour the Lord Obama Christ.

Blessed be the one that CARES for us, for we need his touch, his magnificent hands to hold us.

PappyD61 on September 6, 2012 at 7:09 PM

The only thing for sure tonight is that Obama’s head will be tilted at a 45 degree angle in order for be at the premium smuginess.

portlandon on September 6, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I think it’s going to be like the old Dallas TV show. “The last four years were just a dream.”

RBMN on September 6, 2012 at 7:10 PM

This God and Jerusalem thing is going to be a great commercial

Conservative4ev on September 6, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I hope at least one of the networks does a split screen of Obama inside a cocoon of 15k (encompassing 15K media acolytes and 5k delegates) next to the sunny skies of an empty chair arena.

Another thought: How much money did they waste on busses, printed golden tickets, hotel rooms, gas, food and trinkets for the 65k they were going to haul into the arena that are now sleepless in Charlotte? Demlogic.

Key West Reader on September 6, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Not. Watching.

I’d rather give myself a mani with boric acid.

GrannyDee on September 6, 2012 at 7:11 PM

An insufferable ass is an insufferable ass, of course, of course
And no one can talk sense to an insufferable ass, of course
And especially, of course, if the insufferable ass is the famous Barack Obama
Go right to the source and ask the insufferable ass
He’ll give you the answer that deceivers will endorse
He’s always on a dissemblers course
Talk to Barack Obama

Barack Obama just yakkity yaks a streak and wastes your time of day
Does any sane person even believe anymore a single thing he has to say?
An insufferable ass is an insufferable ass, of course, of course
And this one’ll talk in prevaricating circles til his voice is hoarse
You never heard of a talking insufferable ass?
Well, listen to this
He is Barack Obama!

Cheshire Cat on September 6, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Is “Honey Boo Boo” on tonight?

Chuck Schick on September 6, 2012 at 7:11 PM

When does Biden speak?

Blake on September 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Only when Axelrod takes the ballgag out.

Laura in Maryland on September 6, 2012 at 7:12 PM

JPeterman on September 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Of course. The lazy buzzard is probably recycling his Harvard crib sheets.

kenny on September 6, 2012 at 7:12 PM