DNC attendees: Yeah, it’s pretty awesome to belong to the government

posted at 11:21 am on September 5, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

Revealing Politics asked DNC attendees and delegates in Charlotte what they thought of one of the themes of the DNC promotional video that played in the arena last night— “The government is the only thing we all belong to.” The Obama campaign is backing away from the video, but DNC attendees sure aren’t.

“Regardless of where you live, you’re gonna be owned by someone at some point. I think the American government so far has been a fair government and I don’t necessarily hate that I’m owned by them at this point.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

The views of a Palin Democrat on the DNC speeches last night:
Abortion and Anger, with a Side of Hypocrisy, in Charlotte this Week

Mutnodjmet on September 5, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Everyone/everything belongs to the government?

Next Newsweek: We’re All Communists Now.

The Rogue Tomato on September 5, 2012 at 1:08 PM

They meant “belong to the government” like one would belong to a club, you know, like a club of slaves.

Akzed on September 5, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I never realized all those times liberals were calling Republicans Fascists and Nazi’s it was a compliment.

Capitalist Infidel on September 5, 2012 at 1:13 PM

“We own this land” — Clint Eastwood

The gov’t s/b our servants.

Up is down. It’s surreal.

Starve the looters lest they destroy you.

Schadenfreude on September 5, 2012 at 1:14 PM

They just want us to be like them.

Akzed on September 5, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Would that make us slaves?

ActinUpinTexas on September 5, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member”.

Marx. Groucho not Karl.

Buttercup on September 5, 2012 at 1:27 PM

The previous message brought to you by the public school system. Ignorant tools.

windbag on September 5, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Would that make us slaves?

ActinUpinTexas on September 5, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Of course not comrade…

SWalker on September 5, 2012 at 1:33 PM

We should no more “belong” to the Government than we should all “belong” to the Postal Service just because we pay for it with our taxes (and fees). Do you belong to Coca Cola because you use their products and services??

We belong only to ourselves, and collectively we comprise We the People, of whom government (a service) was instituted to serve the People. We don’t *belong* to it — it’s supposed to *work for us.*

This world-word twist is a great insight into the mind of soft Statism in which you part of a broader collective whole, and are “free” only within the context of the broader State which supports (and controls) you. Thus, “You didn’t build that, someone else built that for you,” and “We belong to the Government.”

EasyEight on September 5, 2012 at 1:46 PM

this is positively unreal….

ted c on September 5, 2012 at 1:46 PM

What I posted on my blog:

I am NOT a slave or indentured servant. I may belong to a country, a church, a family, a social club. My membership in these things is just that, MEMBERSHIP. It is, even with family, voluntary. It is a mutual contract, which can be broken at any time. But I don’t have membership in the “government”. The only way I can belong to said government is as a chattel. I am NOT Julia. I do not need the government to step in and do everything for me, without my even trying to get ahead on my own first. I am NOT Julia. I have a man in my life, whom I love, and who is helping me make a home and raise a family. We are a package deal. I can’t have that package with the feds. Or I suppose I could have something similar, but then it would be some creepy blend of Julia and the Lebensborn.

I am NOT Julia. I AM free. I WILL stay that way.

LibraryGryffon on September 5, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Would that make us slaves?

ActinUpinTexas on September 5, 2012 at 1:18 PM

No, Bolsheviks

Bevan on September 5, 2012 at 1:47 PM

If these guys belong to the government and R^2 gets elected, does that mean that we could sell them???? I mean, we wouldn’t get much, but maybe they could be turned into chum or something./

ted c on September 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Spontaneously combust, for utter stupidity alone, you slaves of today. YOU don’t ever deserve to be free and independent. Your looters will live live emperors.

May they all be destroyed, in any way.

Schadenfreude on September 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I wish one of them would make themselves useful and go get me a sammich.

Buttercup on September 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Someday soon, Orwell’s 1984 will look like the good ol’ days.

justltl on September 5, 2012 at 1:50 PM

SWalker on September 5, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Broken link

Schadenfreude on September 5, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Idiots. Every single one of them.

St Gaudens on September 5, 2012 at 1:52 PM

“All your base are belong to us”

Translate “us” to mean government and this seems to be fitting for these Demo-Zombies (your base).

Bitter Clinger on September 5, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Heh, where are the Ronulans who vote for garry what’s his face….I guess being owned by the gubmint (if barry wins that is) suits them just fine…idiots…

jimver on September 5, 2012 at 1:58 PM

National shrew

Schadenfreude on September 5, 2012 at 2:01 PM

If you have a right
To the service I provide,
I must be your slave…

Haiku Guy on September 5, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Belong and owned are not synonyms.

chemman on September 5, 2012 at 12:02 PM

To me, this may be yet another attempt by the Dems to redefine those terms — they want the low-info types to feel (and eventually believe) that they “belong” when they are really being owned.

That some of the Dems are now disavowing the vid means that it blew up spectacularly in their faces yet again, but I wouldn’t put it past them for a minute that they’ll try again and again and again in other ways, subtle or not.

PatriotGal2257 on September 5, 2012 at 2:07 PM

This must be a continuation of the Biden “Gonna Put Ya’ll Back in Chains” Tour theme.
But,I’d bet that these liberal retards would disavow Dubya as their owner.

DevilsPrinciple on September 5, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Republican straw clutching. You “belong” to a family, a club, any organized group. For Christ’s sake why don’t you people invest in a dictionary?

plewis on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Look at the quote:

“Regardless of where you live, YOU’RE GONNA BE OWNED BY SOMEONE at some point. I think the American government so far has been a fair government and I don’t necessarily hate that I’m owned by them at this point.”

- Delegate to the DNC

Families, clubs and organised groups do NOT “OWN” their members.

For Christ’s sake why don’t you people invest in a dictionary?

plewis on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

EPIC FAIL.

Resist We Much on September 5, 2012 at 2:08 PM

May they all be destroyed, in any way.

Schadenfreude on September 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Put them all on a bus/ship/plane and send them to friggin cuba or whatever’s left of the thuggish pinko empire/ussr to experience real gubmint ownership of people…2 centuries of freedom that was paid with the sacrifices of so many – going to the garbage bin of history because the population of this country has gone full retard…way to go, united states of sheeple, idiocracy does not begin to describe it..churchill was right, the best argument against democracy is a ten minutes conversation with the average (moocher) voter’…

jimver on September 5, 2012 at 2:15 PM

to belong to the government

Democrat chain gang.

Aretha Franklin sang it best…chain of fools.

So much for the distraction, Demo claim about those evil Republicans gonna put you back into chains. Stupid is as stupid does when those chained refuse to acknowledge what’s already binding them in place. Truly stuck on stupid. You can lead a horse to water, but can’t make it drink.

As for Moochelle sharing what she “really loves” about Barack, since he tossed his 2008 campaign “unifier” credential under the White House bus (he acted stupidly), his wife admits unwittingly that there’s nothing to love but lies from a malicious personality whose relationships are vindictive at best.

Obama would RULE us all clamped in bondage, whipping our backsides over the Marxist cliff of no return and no salvation. Donkeys are known to fall for the carrot trick while being “led” or whipped from behind. But elephants with long memories?

Sheila Jackson Lee ‘splained “belong to the government” to Ingraham this morning, somehow related to all those government jobs awarded to blacks for being black, regardless of skills or what the Republican MLKjr. described as “quality of character” upon which we should all be judged.

maverick muse on September 5, 2012 at 2:17 PM

plewis on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Yours is but one of many definitions INCLUDING owned for which this women MEANT ” property of”, “chattel” in the context of her statement. I suggest you buy a book on grammatical useage.

Definition of BELONG

intransitive verb
a : to be suitable, appropriate, or advantageous
b : to be in a proper situation

a : to be the property of a person or thing —used with to
c : to be a member of a club, organization, or set —usually used with to
: to be an attribute, part, adjunct, or function of a person or thing
: to be properly classified

DevilsPrinciple on September 5, 2012 at 2:20 PM

plewis on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Are you a f…ing retard, on top of being a moron??? Since when belonging to a club or org equates being owned by said entities….as far as I am concerned, you and your sheeple should be owned by a zoo or a farm…

jimver on September 5, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Belong to:

Part of Speech:

adjective
Definition: owned by
Synonyms:

affiliated with, associated with, essential to, held by, inherent in, intrinsic in, native to

texgal on September 5, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Next time you hear that quote directly, reply:

“Yes we are owned by somebody and His name is God!

Hilarity will follow.

Kingfisher on September 5, 2012 at 2:27 PM

i think the word they are struggling with is Apparatchik

yeah, it is cool belonging to the Apparatchik, you are protected (well, as long as you don’t have a independent thought)…you and your family get jobs and perks..and, best of all, you don’t need math skills…yeah, way oool

r keller on September 5, 2012 at 2:29 PM

“BELONG TO” ABSOLUTELY REFERENCES OWNERSHIP.

Belong and owned are not synonyms.

chemman on September 5, 2012 at 12:02 PM

The quote isn’t “we belong in government” but that “we belong to government”. No semantic tap dancing out of the quote’s reciprocity between “ownership” and “membership”.

I’m not a member of our government; most Americans are not employed by the government though many are. But evidently, those corrupted federal union employees identify themselves as “belonging to the government” and too many people demanding either wages or benefits from tax payers have already tipped over “balance”. Furthermore, “belonging to the government” has “empowered” Marxists aka federal union members to identify themselves as the authoritarians with the “right” to abuse US citizens and whoever gets in their way.

1. a : to be suitable, appropriate, or advantageous b : to be in a proper situation

2 a : to be the property of a person or thing —used with to b : to be attached or bound by birth, allegiance, or dependency —usually used with to c : to be a member of a club, organization, or set —usually used with to

maverick muse on September 5, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Next time you hear that quote directly, reply:

“Yes we are owned by somebody and His name is God!”

Hilarity will follow.

Kingfisher on September 5, 2012 at 2:27 PM

And speaking of God, what is their rationale for eliminating Him from their platform? Does that mean all Democrats are now atheists? And what’s their preoccupation with murder? I mean, that is what abortion is, after all….

chai on September 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Republicans: “You own this country!”

Democrats: “You belong to the government!”

Says it all this election.

Rockshine on September 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Remember the good-ol-days when Hillary reminded us that dissent was patriotic?

I have all this snake oil. I should be in Charlotte; there’s a lot of gullible people there right now!

Kingfisher on September 5, 2012 at 2:38 PM

There was barely enough room on the platform for Obama’s ego. Typically, you can only have one god on the platform at a time.

Kingfisher on September 5, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Republicans: “You own this country!

Democrats: “You belong to the government!”

Says it all this election.

Rockshine on September 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Couldn’t get a starker contrast….

jimver on September 5, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Apparently most of these people don’t know the meaning of the word “think”. I’m not sure a lot of repub. voters do either though.

yhxqqsn on September 5, 2012 at 2:54 PM

We are the Borg . . . you will be assimilated . . . resistance is futile . . .

listens2glenn on September 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM

You’ll love this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=a61fPIgJfgs

tbrickert on September 5, 2012 at 11:44 AM

WOW !

Rush always said; “Make a joke about liberals long enough . . . ” : )

listens2glenn on September 5, 2012 at 2:56 PM

This is truly disgusting. The government doesn’t own me, and if it say it does…well…hello 1776.

MoreLiberty on September 5, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Yep. And I don’t say “yep” lightly, either.

Still hoping it doesn’t come to that.

listens2glenn on September 5, 2012 at 3:01 PM

All you apologists trying to parse the meaning of belong are disingenuous. We all know exactly what was meant.

John the Libertarian on September 5, 2012 at 3:02 PM

You know, at least cattle and sheep are good for something.
These creatures that welcome being owned by the government are less than useless.
They probably don’t even taste good.

justltl on September 5, 2012 at 3:03 PM

We are the Borg . . . you will be assimilated . . . resistance is futile . . .

listens2glenn on September 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Dang! You beat me to it!! ;)

I guess great all minds think alike.

Glenn Jericho on September 5, 2012 at 11:58 AM

That one was pretty obvious, though. Wasn’t it? . . : )

listens2glenn on September 5, 2012 at 3:05 PM

You know, at least cattle and sheep are good for something.
They probably don’t even taste good.

justltl
on September 5, 2012 at 3:03 PM

(kissing the palm of my hand)

Good night, everybody!

listens2glenn on September 5, 2012 at 3:07 PM

“The government is the only thing we all belong to.”

The original German for this was, “Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer”.

A normal American might have said, “The nation is the only thing we all belong to” but only a full blown fascist would have said, “The government is the only thing we all belong to”

VorDaj on September 5, 2012 at 3:07 PM

This is insane. How can an American think this way?

jazzmo on September 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM

An ‘education’ at a liberal arts college?

Liam on September 5, 2012 at 11:59 AM

It actually starts in public school, Liam.

The it gets exponentially worse in “liberal arts college”.

listens2glenn on September 5, 2012 at 3:11 PM

maybe biden was right…well about the chains… just wrong on the political party forcing people into them… so half right.

it’s a shame that being half right is a step up for him.

and it’s sad that if you make chains look cool…all the hipsters are going to want to have them and then it’s all downhill from there.

The Red Pill on September 5, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Belong and owned are not synonyms.

chemman on September 5, 2012 at 12:02 PM

You’re righ,t you facking Mo ‘ron. It is a defining word for belong.

belong
Listen See in ThesaurusSee in a sentence
To belong means to be a member, fit in or be suitable for. (verb)
An example of to belong is to be a member of a book club.

YourDictionary Definitions. Copyright © 2012 by LoveToKnow Corp.

Ads by Google

(5) Signs of Bipolar These 5 Bipolar Signs Will Shock You. See the Causes Now! http://www.help-live.net

See belong in Webster’s New World College Dictionary

intransitive verb

to have a proper or suitable place: the chair belongs in the corner, she belongs in the movies
to be part of; be related or connected (to)
to be a member: with to
to be owned: with to
SLANG to be the owner: with to: who belongs to this toothbrush?
Webster’s New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

See belong in American Heritage Dictionary 4

(bĭ-lôngˈ, -lŏngˈ)

intransitive verb be·longed, be·long·ing, be·longs
a. To be proper, appropriate, or suitable: A napkin belongs at every place setting.
b. To be in an appropriate situation or environment: That plant belongs outdoors.
a. To be a member of a group, such as a club.
b. To fit into a group naturally: No matter what I did, I just didn’t belong.
To have in one’s possession. Often used with to: “The earth belongs to the living” (Thomas Jefferson).
To be a part of something else: These blades belong to the food processor.

DevilsPrinciple on September 5, 2012 at 3:30 PM

That’s why they took God out of the platform. The Left worships government.

John the Libertarian on September 5, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Does the government belong to you or do you belong to the government?

The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, ‘which is to be master — that’s all.”
― Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

VorDaj on September 5, 2012 at 3:35 PM

“Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato.”

Everything in the State, nothing outside the State, nothing against the State.

RasThavas on September 5, 2012 at 3:44 PM

“…we are more safer … the government can take care of us…”

Democrats.

Jaibones on September 5, 2012 at 4:07 PM

“Who knows…I haven’t never had a other feeling.”

Philosophical underpinnings of Democrat-ness.

Jaibones on September 5, 2012 at 4:09 PM

“Community … a national community … that’s American.”

Hey, what happened to the world community? Democrats are nationalists, now?

Jaibones on September 5, 2012 at 4:11 PM

these are some of the “people” that will be working in gov’t that will need to inspect your home or your computer twice a year, you know, just to make sure your’re in compliance with local rules concerning your belonging to them. get ready, you won’t like it.

tm11999 on September 5, 2012 at 4:46 PM

That’s why they took God out of the platform. The Left worships government.

John the Libertarian on September 5, 2012 at 3:32 PM

In the Soviet Union, religion was banned, but school’s had “Lenin Corners,” which were “political shrines for the display of propaganda about the god-like founder of the Soviet state.”

Resist We Much on September 5, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Resist We Much on September 5, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I’ve heard stories about many democratics that actually have ‘Obama shrines’ in their homes. I’ve never seen one myself, -I think it would creep me out for a month, but there it is.

slickwillie2001 on September 5, 2012 at 6:05 PM

There are Obama shrines everywhere, we have three at our house…well four if you count the one in the half-bath. The cats even have one with an automatic cleaning mechanism…pretty handy.

As far as belonging to the government goes and having a “Property Of” jersey, there are tens of thousands of Democrats with those…and they even get to hold up a placard with a number on it when they get their photo taken in it.

opaobie on September 6, 2012 at 2:10 AM

maybe biden was … half right.

The Red Pill on September 5, 2012 at 3:26 PM