DNC attendees: Yeah, it’s pretty awesome to belong to the government

posted at 11:21 am on September 5, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

Revealing Politics asked DNC attendees and delegates in Charlotte what they thought of one of the themes of the DNC promotional video that played in the arena last night— “The government is the only thing we all belong to.” The Obama campaign is backing away from the video, but DNC attendees sure aren’t.

“Regardless of where you live, you’re gonna be owned by someone at some point. I think the American government so far has been a fair government and I don’t necessarily hate that I’m owned by them at this point.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I was always a fan of “Free Association” myself. But if you want to vote yourself “back in chains” go for it.
Why do I feel that I’ll get sent to the Re-Ed camp 1st?

hutch1200 on September 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM

All sorts of stupid on display.

Liberty is the most important feature of our nation and they don’t even understand it. jaw dropping. I see the people in the video having no backbone and take pleasure in the fact that the government can tell them what to do. America is in serious trouble.

tommer74 on September 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Valerie Jerrett’s father is sooo proud, as is Frank Marshall Davis.

kingsjester on September 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Here’s hoping they’ll be owned in November.

patriette on September 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM

“If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.” – Samuel Adams

RadClown on September 5, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Idiots! Put a Republican in the White House and all these tools will be outraged and not want anything to do with the Government. In fact, they’ll be calling for its overthrow.

rhombus on September 5, 2012 at 11:52 AM

RadClown on September 5, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Very nice.

kingsjester on September 5, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Republican straw clutching. You “belong” to a family, a club, any organized group. For Christ’s sake why don’t you people invest in a dictionary?

plewis on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

My membership in famiy or club isn’t at the point of the gun. Since they are voluntary, they can’t tax me or send me to prison.

Big difference!

FOWG1 on September 5, 2012 at 11:52 AM

The dimocrats are returning to their roots as the party of slavery.

chemman on September 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM

TEAM OBAMA ALREADY DISAVOWING AD

Bwahahahahahhahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Czar of Defenestration on September 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM

“The government plantation is the only thing we all belong to.”

Glenn Jericho on September 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato.

RobertE on September 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I’m the boss of my house and I have my wife’s permission to say so!

Kingfisher on September 5, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Democrats 2000-2008: WE ARE AMERICANS AND WE HAVE A RIGHT TO DISAGREE AND DEBATE WITH ANY ADMINISTRATION!!! SECEDE!!!

Democrats 2009-2012: WE ALL BELONG TO THE GOVERNMENT. YOU DIDN’T BUILE THAT.

Good Lt on September 5, 2012 at 11:54 AM

This is insane. How can an American think this way?

jazzmo on September 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Serf

gwelf on September 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM

“I think the American government so far has been a fair government and I don’t necessarily hate that I’m owned by them at this point.”

Unfortunately, chief, according to the debt clock we all belong to the Chinese government.

Blacklake on September 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM

You know you’re in trouble when even Althouse pans the FLOTUS speech.

a capella on September 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM

DNC attendees: Yeah, it’s pretty awesome to belong to the government

Liked by Karl Marx, Joseph Stalin and Adolph Hitler.

Kingfisher on September 5, 2012 at 11:56 AM

This is truly disgusting. The government doesn’t own me, and if it say it does…well…hello 1776.

MoreLiberty on September 5, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Someone should put this in an ad with that .gif/video of the people (lemmings) running off the cliff and jumping into the black hole.

This is beyond creepy. God help us.

Dubn8tr on September 5, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Where’s libfreeordie? I want to know how he feels about being “owned” by the government.

Somehow I have a feeling he’ll be fine and dandy with his newly proclaimed massah.

Flora Duh on September 5, 2012 at 11:56 AM

..I confess to not reading the entire thread of comments, but did anyone examine this with the remarks made by the WIDE LODA FLOTUS last night? For that matter the theme of the other speechifiers at the DNC?

More aptly put: aren’t you all absolutely terrified?

The War Planner on September 5, 2012 at 11:56 AM

It’s as though they took every principle the Founders and Framers cared about and imagined an evil twin parallel universe.

I am still surprised, given both this and Gergen’s comment last night, that at a convention celebrating the first black president, talking of people being owned seems to come so naturally, if unthinkingly, to them.

EastofEden on September 5, 2012 at 11:57 AM

plewis on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

A little. I think we all understand that they COULD HAVE been trying to say we all are a part of society.

But they had plenty of time to prepare this video. Liberals try to claim they are oh so much better at expressing themselves than conservatives. Yet they managed to phrase it in a way that the collectivism literally oozes from it. They could have said “this great American experiment is one thing we all share in. . . ” But no, they said “the government is the only thing we all BELONG to”

Then these bozos come along and confirm that they consider themselves OWNED! Combine that with removing God from the platform and what do you get: These people have such a need to be part of SOME group, that they’ll sell their souls to the one organization that can take away all their rights – the government. They can voluntarily give things up for their beliefs in this country, but if government has the control they are giving away, there won’t be anything voluntary about it!

PastorJon on September 5, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Where’s Biden when you need him?

Tater Salad on September 5, 2012 at 11:58 AM

It bears repeating:

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why I believe that if Obama is reelected it will mark the beginning of the end of the US as a nation of 50 states and mark the beginning of a move to split the country in half.

I refuse to believe that we conservatives will surrender, allow ourselves to become part of the collective, to become hosts to the Democrats’ parasitic voters, to submit to be ruled.

The Left is nothing if not relentless in their goal to “own” us. We must be as ruthless and relentless in our desire to remain free.

Charlemagne on September 5, 2012 at 11:58 AM

How can any rational black American stand with this mindset?

Rio Linda Refugee on September 5, 2012 at 11:58 AM

We are the Borg . . . you will be assimilated . . . resistance is futile . . .

listens2glenn on September 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Dang! You beat me to it!! ;)

I guess great all minds think alike.

Glenn Jericho on September 5, 2012 at 11:58 AM

This is insane. How can an American think this way?

jazzmo on September 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM

An ‘education’ at a liberal arts college?

Liam on September 5, 2012 at 11:59 AM

What a sad and tragic irony seeing and listening to African-Americans say that they like being owned and controlled by an entity…

They’ve swapped plantation owners for the government…how pathetic…

MLK must be rolling over in his grave…

PatriotRider on September 5, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own!

A lesson these clowns will never learn.

HARRY GERBER on September 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM

The argument between the two candidates is simple:

ROMNEY: A government of, by and for the people.

OBAMA: A people of, by and for the government.

Kingfisher on September 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Isn’t a nation where everyone and everything literally belongs to the government the very definition of totalitarianism?

steebo77 on September 5, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Really? I can’t imagine this idiot saying this during W’s presidency. Or during a Romney presidency (where she will be forced to become pregnant and bear the child to work in a sweatshop).

gwelf on September 5, 2012 at 12:01 PM

plewis on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

plewis thy name is hypocrite. It is obvious you haven’t taken your own advice an invested in a dictionary. Belong and owned are not synonyms. As for Christ’s sake he had a lot to say about the hypocrites of his time and none of it was pretty.

chemman on September 5, 2012 at 12:02 PM

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” ~Ronald Reagan

Flora Duh on September 5, 2012 at 12:03 PM

“Regardless of where you live, you’re gonna be owned by someone at some point.

You effin slave. Maybe there really is a revo coming and it’s just a matter of being prepared as best you can; this is unbelievable.

Bishop on September 5, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Flora Duh on September 5, 2012 at 11:56 AM

He’ll be here to tell you how he feels, just as soon as government tells him how he feels.

steebo77 on September 5, 2012 at 12:04 PM

plewis on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

The voice of stupidity cries out in the wilderness.

You voluntarily belong to a club, an organized group, etc. You belong to a family only until you’re old enough to go out on your own.

We the people, own the government. You believe, and are comfortable with, the fact that the government owns us.

Now run off and get your welfare check.

Kingfisher on September 5, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Is anyone else spooked by the vacuousness in these people’s eyes?

**shudder**

Grace_is_sufficient on September 5, 2012 at 12:05 PM

They want to “belong” to government only insofar as they can get a position in that same government and dictate to others how to live…

Pest on September 5, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Charlemagne on September 5, 2012 at 11:58 AM

If he is re-elected it might well be the end. The beginning goes all the way back to the election of republican progressive Teddy Roosevelt.

chemman on September 5, 2012 at 12:05 PM

This is why communists seek to destroy the institution of the family, and organized non-warmist religions. They want membership in the government to be your last hope.

slickwillie2001 on September 5, 2012 at 12:05 PM

What are these imbeciles going to do when their “owners” abandon them and no longer take care of their every need???…

PatriotRider on September 5, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Contrast this to Clint Eastwood saying “politicians are employees of ours.” And HE’S the crazy one?

Dubn8tr on September 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Is anyone else spooked by the vacuousness in these people’s eyes?

**shudder**

Grace_is_sufficient on September 5, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Me.

The creepy part is that you could find the same look in the eyes of people through history as they blithely ignored the concentration camps and gulags being erected near their towns.

Bishop on September 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM

PatriotRider on September 5, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Riot and burn down their homes around their ears.

chemman on September 5, 2012 at 12:08 PM

As Eastwood so aptly and adroitly pointed out, WE OWN THIS COUNTRY.

‘…of the people, for the people, by the people…’

We hire and fire those who SERVE in the government, at all levels, regularly. They SERVE by our will, and literally as our proxies. They are temporary. WE, the people, are not.

The Democratic party, in its platform and actions, makes itself clear. They’ve chosen to be godless, lawless, friendless, infanticides. They purged the party by virtue of the betrayal of allies and, even those within their own party, who are deemed expendable, or ‘of no value’ in achieving their goals, and hence, they are declining.

They’ve included in their numbers communists, socialists, Marxists, anarchists, foreign nationals who seek only to take what they wish from this nation, and those with virtually no regard for the law, the rights of others, national sovereignty, or the unique American culture.

Is it really any surprise that these are the people most likely to CHOOSE to marry the government, belong, body and soul, to the government, unable or unwilling to even grasp the meaning of freedom?

These pathetic, soft, cowardly bitter people, will cling to their government, so long as they believe it will provide for their needs without them ever providing for themselves or taking responsibility for themselves.

THESE are the true BITTER CLINGERS. Clinging to the government dole and the life of ease it affords them, EVEN TO THE POINT OF SLAVERY TO THAT MASTER.

thatsafactjack on September 5, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Is anyone else spooked by the vacuousness in these people’s eyes?

**shudder**

Grace_is_sufficient on September 5, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Jonestown redux.

Flora Duh on September 5, 2012 at 12:09 PM

This is insane. How can an American think this way?

jazzmo on September 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM

The same way some slaves talked about how great their master was and how well they were treated on the plantation.

tdpwells on September 5, 2012 at 12:09 PM

On an unrelated note, The Road to Serfdom is on sale for only five bucks on Audible.

The Schaef on September 5, 2012 at 12:09 PM

…C H A I N S…!!!

KOOLAID2 on September 5, 2012 at 12:10 PM

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

long_cat on September 5, 2012 at 12:12 PM

These people are mentally ill freak-shows.

If the government did not “give” these people “things” they wouldn’t like the government one little bit.

mapper on September 5, 2012 at 12:13 PM

In the video, one of the Obamabots made the statement, “If we belong to the government we are more (sic) safer … ”

“Those who would give up liberty for safety deserve neither liberty nor safety” Ben Franklin

AZfederalist on September 5, 2012 at 12:14 PM

plewis on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

The fundamental difference, SLAVE, is that none of those groups can get me to join at gunpoint. I have to choose them.

SDN on September 5, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Wow.

Just a mind-boggling level of stupid.

Ladies and gentlemen, your modern Democratic party, in a nutshell: the government owns you.

AZCoyote on September 5, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Big shiite storm coming, win or lose for TFGRP it’s coming.

Bishop on September 5, 2012 at 12:15 PM

The morons displayed in this video are as much the enemy of the Republic as any cold war operative ever was.

warden on September 5, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I pledge to be a servant to our President.

steebo77 on September 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Yikes. Thanks for the reminder. Mike Tyson fell off the plantation by not wanting to be known as an “African-American”. We’ll have to ask Demi if slavery has been abolished yet and for an update as to many slaves she has freed. She set the bar high at 1 million. I doubt she’s freed one.

Buy Danish on September 5, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Pest on September 5, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Yeah if they were planting 50,000acres of corn by hand 18hrs a day they would change thier tune pretty quick.

It amazes me that these people think they are immune, or special and will somehow occupy the top 1% of the new dictatorial reqime.

The Khmer Rouge leadership boasted over the state-controlled radio that only one or two million people were needed to build the new agrarian communist utopia. As for the others, as their proverb put it,

“To keep you is no benefit, to destroy you is no loss.”[22]

orbitalair on September 5, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Yee Gaads! Where do these mindless people find the wherewithal to put food in their mouths and find clean clothes in the morning? Utter madness.

DumboTheAvenger on September 5, 2012 at 12:17 PM

How can any rational black American stand with this mindset?

Rio Linda Refugee on September 5, 2012 at 11:58 AM

It was some white dude at the end of the video that said this. In fairness, the blacks were all on board with this and one of them said, “I believe this, unfortunately, the Republicans don’t” Mind boggling

AZfederalist on September 5, 2012 at 12:18 PM

they want to be OWND…… no problem…. in November…. 2010 was just the first wave, this time… you’ll really know what its like to be OWND/PWND/SHALLACKED. What a creepy bunch of mentally ill people.

maineconservative on September 5, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I pledge to be a servant to our President.

steebo77 on September 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I swear: I will be faithful and obedient to the leader of the German empire and people, Adolf Hitler, to observe the law, and to conscientiously fulfil my official duties, so help me God!

Pest on September 5, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I do not think that these folks have any understanding of the concept of “ownership”
If you are “owned” there is no “pursuit of happiness”
They are tossing the DofI in their greed.
We need to protect these folks from themselves.

Jabberwock on September 5, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Big shiite storm coming, win or lose for TFGRP it’s coming.

Bishop on September 5, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Yes, there is a fundamental disconnect in this country. And that is emphatically not a sign of good things to come.

CorporatePiggy on September 5, 2012 at 12:20 PM

sheeple…

burserker on September 5, 2012 at 12:21 PM

What part of free don’t y’all understand?

vityas on September 5, 2012 at 12:22 PM

DumboTheAvenger on September 5, 2012 at 12:17 PM

More fundamentally, how do they even remember to breathe?

AZfederalist on September 5, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Ein Volk! Ein Reich! Ein Fuhrer!

Bishop on September 5, 2012 at 12:26 PM

If that’s true – why do liberals whine and bllyache so much?

katiejane on September 5, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Not to worry.

I have a strong suspicion that come the election returns, when R&R are declared winners, it will be a LIBERATING MOMENT for those who are currently choosing to ‘belong to the government’.

With our votes for a Republican President, we shall set them free.

These are not the kind of people to maintain any loyalty to ‘the government’ once that government is no long run by those who share their ideology.

Suddenly, they will, doubtless, have an epiphany, and decide that they no longer wish to ‘belong to the government’.

thatsafactjack on September 5, 2012 at 12:27 PM

who are these people?

tom daschle concerned on September 5, 2012 at 12:28 PM

It ain’t called the Democrap plantation for no reason. They truly do buy into that Gov’t ownership thing.

JimK on September 5, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Reduce yourself to ownership, now that’s a sad thought of mind.

DDay on September 5, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Glad I have permission now. Phew!
Good Lt on September 5, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Use responsibly.

Akzed on September 5, 2012 at 12:38 PM

There are too many Americans who would rather be owned by the government than to go out as free men and women and try and succeed on their own without that safety net that keeps them afloat. They don’t have the fortitude it takes to make it on their own. Instead of “don’t tread on me” they should carry “coddle me” flags.

scalleywag on September 5, 2012 at 12:40 PM

We are all chattel now.

steebo77 on September 5, 2012 at 12:40 PM

It’s hard to speak truth to power when you want to be owned by it.

TexasJew on September 5, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I’m speechless, which is a rarity. It feels good to be “owned” by the government? That concept is SO foreign to this American. I just don’t get it anymore.

GeorgieGirl9 on September 5, 2012 at 12:47 PM

The government belongs to We the People. The government is the servant not the master of We the People.

Resist We Much on September 5, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Actually now that I think about it Obama got pwned by Clint last week

Rio Linda Refugee on September 5, 2012 at 12:54 PM

“Regardless of where you live, you’re gonna be OWNED BY SOMEONE at some point. I think the American government so far has been a fair government and I don’t necessarily hate that I’m owned by them at this point.”

- Delegate to the DNC

Sounds about right coming from the Party of Secession, Slavery and Segregation. People are property.

The saddest are the descendants of slaves, who are proud to be owned by the Federal government.

Resist We Much on September 5, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Big shiite storm coming, win or lose for TFGRP it’s coming.

Bishop on September 5, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Well as long as it involves BIG PINK VEJAYJAYS
it’s all good!

ToddPA on September 5, 2012 at 12:55 PM

f….ing unbelievable…the brainwash…1984…

jimver on September 5, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Notice the thousand yard stare of the guy that gave the money quote and the older white woman. Reminds me of the creepy, wide-eyed Heaven’s Gate cult members.

The others have the vacant look of a drooling lab.

Kungfoochimp on September 5, 2012 at 12:58 PM

who are these people?

tom daschle concerned on September 5, 2012 at 12:28 PM

your fellow citizens, the unevolved and mentally underdeveloped half of the country, to be more precise…

jimver on September 5, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Use responsibly.

Akzed on September 5, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Managed pretty well for the past few decades.

Think I’ll be fine. Thanks for your concern.

Good Lt on September 5, 2012 at 1:00 PM

aww, what happened to occupy wall street and all those ‘lofty’ ideas, or some are better to be owned by than others…WS – bad people owners, gubmint – good sheeple owners…heh, choices…

jimver on September 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Pol Pot had the same idea.

Speakup on September 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Who is fact checking Michelle Obama’s speech? Not every statement was a lie. Best truthful statement in the speech: Barack and I had help.

They sure did! At the taxpayers’ expense.

Basilsbest on September 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Sums up what a Democrat is, a slave owned by the Democrat Party. They either refuse or are prevented from escaping their slavery. Witness what happens to anyone that tried to escape; a whipping is putting it nicely. The problem is that is exactly what they want to do to US not yet confined on their plantation.

aposematic on September 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Note to Barack:

Team R&R PWNs you!

MJBrutus on September 5, 2012 at 1:04 PM

That video was positively sickening!

What is wrong with those people?

Chip on September 5, 2012 at 1:04 PM

heh,Nataie Portman and S Johansson to speak at the convention…ok, fine, it’s official, they are not that hot anymore :-)…

jimver on September 5, 2012 at 1:07 PM

who are these people?

tom daschle concerned on September 5, 2012 at 12:28 P

They aren’t people. Stop calling them that. They are animals.

lorien1973 on September 5, 2012 at 1:07 PM