DNC attendees: Yeah, it’s pretty awesome to belong to the government

posted at 11:21 am on September 5, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

Revealing Politics asked DNC attendees and delegates in Charlotte what they thought of one of the themes of the DNC promotional video that played in the arena last night— “The government is the only thing we all belong to.” The Obama campaign is backing away from the video, but DNC attendees sure aren’t.

“Regardless of where you live, you’re gonna be owned by someone at some point. I think the American government so far has been a fair government and I don’t necessarily hate that I’m owned by them at this point.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

serious mental disorders on display in Charlotte

gatorboy on September 5, 2012 at 11:23 AM

You people are creepy.

lorien1973 on September 5, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Then we over paid for these people.

Oil Can on September 5, 2012 at 11:23 AM

The government belongs to us and is at best a necessary evil to an American.

harlekwin15 on September 5, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I wonder if they will state this when the evil Romney administration takes over.

thebrokenrattle on September 5, 2012 at 11:24 AM

The Democrats love being parasitic wards of the government. For them “liberty” is an impediment to progress. These are sad times we live in.

rplat on September 5, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I belong to God-NOT the government!

annoyinglittletwerp on September 5, 2012 at 11:25 AM

OMG! This is just unbelievable people feel this way!
L

letget on September 5, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Don’t it feel great to be on the plantation!!

right2bright on September 5, 2012 at 11:25 AM

National APB needs sent: Village idiots missing over all 57 states.

gsherin on September 5, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Good Lt on September 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Said the slave to its slavemaster.

Also,

This is really an argument against being “owned by the government” right? At some point, the government will no longer be “fair” but then it’s too late. You are already owned.

lorien1973 on September 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM

You’re gonna be owned by someone at some point? Huh? Where the hell do these people live?

Doughboy on September 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Okay, normally I’m pretty even tempered, but I just want to smack these creeps around right now.

I don’t belong to friggin anybody! Bah!!

WolvenOne on September 5, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Oh my.

CHAINS!

Y’ALL!!!

CorporatePiggy on September 5, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Is this my imagination? I don’t remember a political convention, even a Democratic convention, ever being this far out in fringe nutso territory before. It feels to me like we are truly witnessing a meltdown of the left. That they are putting their utter contempt for American values and traditions on display in a way they never before have. And I feel like we may be in for a landslide smackdown of them in November as a result.

Shump on September 5, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Biden’s got them all in chains!

search4truth on September 5, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Also, I guess this completely kills the thought that the wording “belong to” could have inferred something beyond ownership.

lorien1973 on September 5, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Democrats 2012: They’re We’re gonna put y’all back in chains!

Good Lt on September 5, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I belong to God-NOT the government!

annoyinglittletwerp on September 5, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Well, almost…even He gave you free will not to “belong”…and He will even provide if you don’t belong.

The irony is that “belonging” denotes ownership, and so what they are proposing is that it is okay for someone to own them…I guess slavery is so far in the past, it’s not a problem anymore.

right2bright on September 5, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Creepy!

Blake on September 5, 2012 at 11:29 AM

belonging to govt will eventually lead to tyranny,,,the govt belong to us leads to freedom

rico101 on September 5, 2012 at 11:29 AM

“The government is the only thing we all belong to.”

Unless we are very careful and vigilant, that statement may well be prophetic.

MessesWithTexas on September 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Marx would be sooo proud.

kingsjester on September 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM

No wonder Plugs got away with his “chains” comment.

Steve Eggleston on September 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Must have missed Clint’s performance,..you know, that part about who owns the country and who works for whom.

a capella on September 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM

We are the Borg . . . you will be assimilated . . . resistance is futile . . .

listens2glenn on September 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Well, if these people love to be owned by the government… I hear china is a great place to live.

watertown on September 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I pay taxes. I fund the government. I must own Obamabots. Hey slaves, go jump off a cliff!

DanMan on September 5, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Excuse me while go slump into a dark corner and weep for our Country.

All I could think while watching was that is the kind of propganda you would get out of China, North Korea, and 1930′s Germany.

WisRich on September 5, 2012 at 11:31 AM

A republic. If you can keep it.

lorien1973 on September 5, 2012 at 11:31 AM

My God, George Orwell would be soiling his boxers if he was alive to hear this madness!

pilamaye on September 5, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Absolute garbage!

It’s as if these people not only don’t care what America means, what American government is supposed to be, but that they actually eschew American values and would just prefer to submit to anyone willing to “own” them.

Puttin us all back in chains, indeed.

Frickin MORONS!

KMC1 on September 5, 2012 at 11:32 AM

My gosh, if a conservative had said anything close to something like this the LSM would be all over it.

watertown on September 5, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Liberalism is a mental disorder… We see it every minute…

mnjg on September 5, 2012 at 11:32 AM

So these libs ARE droids.

portlandon on September 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Why would a political party deliberately position themselves to appeal to a small miinority of America’s population? Stupid.

kingsjester on September 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Hey, this is great, so if the Republican’s win, all of these people belong to us?

Fantastic, I need someone to do my yard, someone to do the laundry, someone to clean my house…this is working out so much better than I ever imagined.

We can win the election, and take ownership of all the dems…

We need to hold another convention, where all of these guys can sign up for different jobs that we need to have done around the house. I appreciate their commitment to us once we take over the government…they belong to us!!

right2bright on September 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM

A republic. If you can keep it.

lorien1973 on September 5, 2012 at 11:31 AM

They chose…poorly.

Good Lt on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Shump on September 5, 2012 at 11:28 AM

No, it is not your imagination.

Righties are criticized for lauding that stupid piece of paper written by evil whitey called “The Constitution”. You know, the founding document of the United States of America.

Leftists are shouting about how they are happy to be owned by a government that is meant to be for the people and by the people. They love them some chains.

There is a fundamental disconnect here.

CorporatePiggy on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Those BO clowns are self loathing morons…..they are proud to claim they are owned by others. How can a person feel good about being worthless?

David in ATL on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Totalitarians in our midst…

Pest on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Ummmmmm, no?

But I hear Cuba is nice this time of year. North Korea could get a little rainy, though. Check those out and get back to us.

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Republican straw clutching. You “belong” to a family, a club, any organized group. For Christ’s sake why don’t you people invest in a dictionary?

plewis on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

watertown on September 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I think North Korea’s more their style. After all, the ChiComs have this weird Commuapitalism thing going on.

Steve Eggleston on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

David in ATL on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

They’re Obamabots.

Part of being an Obamabot is having a chronic case of cranial-rectal inversion.

Good Lt on September 5, 2012 at 11:35 AM

right2bright on September 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM

WOW . . . there is an “upside” to this! . . : )

listens2glenn on September 5, 2012 at 11:35 AM

You can almost see the Kool-aid stains on these moron’s lips.

Happy Nomad on September 5, 2012 at 11:35 AM

plewis on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Discuss.

lorien1973 on September 5, 2012 at 11:35 AM

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Cuban summer/fall home, North Korean winter home.

Steve Eggleston on September 5, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Stranger danger, stranger danger!!!

Zaggs on September 5, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I don’t know if I can take two more nights of speakers,

literally shouting at me,

personally attacking (without any facts) my fellow party members and the productive citizens of this nation,

all the while singing the praises of all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving government (and child murder).

So much unhinged anger on display in Charlotte.

steebo77 on September 5, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Now it makes sense why we didn’t build it; we are their property and thus they are entitled to our labor.

lorien1973 on September 5, 2012 at 11:37 AM

MKH on Fox News right now.

steebo77 on September 5, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Rage against being owned by “Big Oil”, “Big Business” or “Big Church”, but being owned by Big Government is AOKISAY.

Jeddite on September 5, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Did you notice that one of these ladies slipped and almost said she thinks it’s great to “work” instead of “owned”. I wonder how many of these people are government employees?

LeftCoastRight on September 5, 2012 at 11:37 AM

plewis on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

For Pete’s sake, why don’t you invest in a History Book?

Idjit.

kingsjester on September 5, 2012 at 11:38 AM

plewis on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

LOL nice try. Then what about this gem:

Methinks they’re not talking about the local Kiwanis club, buddy.

tdpwells on September 5, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Well that sure was disturbing.

forest on September 5, 2012 at 11:38 AM

When you play these vidoes the one thought
that comes to mind is this:

“I no longer recognize my Country”

ToddPA on September 5, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Old and busted: Slavery is an evil stain on America’s past.
The new hotness: Slavery unites us and brings infinite happiness.

Buy Danish on September 5, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Twenty-first Century version of ‘slave mentality’?

On one hand, Biden said the Republicans want to put people back in chains, and the left screamed, “Evil Republicans!”

Now, it’s, “The government is the only thing we all belong to,” and the liberals crow, “Right on!”

Demented
Nutty
Communists

Liam on September 5, 2012 at 11:39 AM

plewis on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Here, let’s read it again, slowly for you:

What part of that direct quote didn’t you comprehend, precious?

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on September 5, 2012 at 11:39 AM

plewis on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Reading comprehension is your friend.

Now go make an Obama sand castle.

portlandon on September 5, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Wow just wow

cmsinaz on September 5, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Then we over paid for these people.

Oil Can on September 5, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Lolz

thebrokenrattle on September 5, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I for one cannot wait to hear the howls of anger and despair of the Gimme Slavery but Give Me Birth Control Crowd on Election Day.

And even more, cannot wait then to hear the cries of relief of those who are currently unemployed, in knowing that businesses will very soon be hiring again and that those who want to work, will have jobs again.

inviolet on September 5, 2012 at 11:39 AM

They loathe themselves; they hate America.

Right Mover on September 5, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Best quote ever: “A true slave dreams not of freedom, but of his own slaves.”

Archivarix on September 5, 2012 at 11:41 AM

It does make sense in a liberal/progressive twisted way. If you are owned by the government, then every dollar you earn is also owned by the government. They assume a right to all of your money and all your stuff. So, to them, cutting taxes really does mean spending more government money rather than letting you keep more of what you earned.

The Rogue Tomato on September 5, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Streaming media is blocked here — did someone really say this? Flukin’ scary…

affenhauer on September 5, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Creepy, pretty sure though that, in spite of this, that the government is of the people by the people and for the people. The right of self determination in our personal lives and in the direction government should take when acting on our behalf and direction. These folks espousing that video are nutzo cookoo and should be prevented from entering government.

jake49 on September 5, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Publicly the DNC and Obama campaign may be backing away from the video but with responses like these from supporters, they may be quite pleased behind the scenes.
How Obama and his officials respond to this IF questioned will tell.
Inch by inch …

darlus on September 5, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Owned by the Government.

Sure sounds like slavery to me!

I’m a slave to Obama

JoeHanson on September 5, 2012 at 11:42 AM

The Rogue Tomato on September 5, 2012 at 11:41 AM

That is the logical conclusion of “tax breaks” being “government spending money” isn’t it?

lorien1973 on September 5, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Liberals were never opposed to slavery; they were opposed to it being privatized.

lorien1973 on September 5, 2012 at 11:43 AM

WOW!….just wow…..how do you even respond to people who think like that? I just don’t even know where to start….do they realize, or were they even taught, that we fought for our freedom from being vassals of the state in the Revolutionary War, a war we could have just as easily lost? I….uh, I….it….WTF!?!?!?!? Seriously!?!?!?!

I need an aspirin…..

powerpickle on September 5, 2012 at 11:43 AM

We are the Borg . . . you will be assimilated . . . resistance is futile . . .

listens2glenn on September 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM

You’ll love this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=a61fPIgJfgs

tbrickert on September 5, 2012 at 11:44 AM

The ads write themselves!

mrscullen on September 5, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Streaming media is blocked here — did someone really say this? Flukin’ scary…

affenhauer on September 5, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Yep. Verbatim.

He had a really compassionate-liberal look on his face though, so that makes it OK. Or something.

inviolet on September 5, 2012 at 11:45 AM

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why I believe that if Obama is reelected it will mark the beginning of the end of the US as a nation of 50 states and mark the beginning of a move to split the country in half.

I refuse to believe that we conservatives will surrender, allow ourselves to become part of the collective, to become hosts to the Democrats’ parasitic voters, to submit to be ruled.

The Left is nothing if not relentless in their goal to “own” us. We must be as ruthless and relentless in our desire to remain free.

Charlemagne on September 5, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Well I personally love wearing the chains of my beneficent overlords.

/s

MJBrutus on September 5, 2012 at 11:46 AM

plewis on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

1. The interviewee actually referred to being “owned” and was OK with that.

2. There is no definition of “belong” or context that makes this anything other than utterly wrongheaded.

3. The DNC and White House disowned that video. Why didn’t they defend it?

Bat Chain Puller on September 5, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Obscene, despairing, chilling.

This is it, America. This election decides your fate.

The republicans and conservatives have been given a unique opportunity to define and defeat the unholy Left as they rekindle our founding principles. I’d call it the last of a lifetime opportunity.

Are they up to it?

rrpjr on September 5, 2012 at 11:46 AM

plewis on September 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Good effort… Problem is, I’m not a government employee so I don’t really belong. But wait – we all belong to it, right? So I should be able to claim 30 years of back-pay..?

affenhauer on September 5, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I belong to myself. I do not recognizes the government’s ‘claim’ on my person, and recognize no man nor entity’s right to ‘own’ me. Good Lt on September 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM

You can have you.

Akzed on September 5, 2012 at 11:47 AM

lorien1973 on September 5, 2012 at 11:37 AM

You didn’t build that. “Everyone” did.

Good Lt on September 5, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Willing slaves complaining about people trying to keep themselves from being enslaved.

catmman on September 5, 2012 at 11:47 AM

OT: FedEx website is listing both Tropical Storm Isaac and the DNC as two disasters that are causing package delays in Florida,Alabama,Mississippi,Louisiana & North Carolina!

Remnants of Tropical Depression Isaac and the DNC are causing service delays in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and North Carolina

portlandon on September 5, 2012 at 11:47 AM

You can have you.

Akzed on September 5, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Glad I have permission now. Phew!

Good Lt on September 5, 2012 at 11:48 AM

You’re gonna have to serve somebody
It may be the devil
Or it may be the Lord
But you’re gonna have to serve somebody.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on September 5, 2012 at 11:48 AM

WOW . . . there is an “upside” to this! . . : )

listens2glenn on September 5, 2012 at 11:35 AM

You bet there is…all of them, we will own them in just a couple of months. They will belong to us, what will be referred to as the “Masters”.

And it’s voluntary, our yards will be taken care of, houses painted, cars washed…we will own them, and they will want it, embrace it, rejoice in it.

I am fixing up the garage, a little space for them to live in, I have always wanted to own someone…now I can.

If there are not enough, I like my neighbor, so we one of the dems can belong to both of us…the guy across the street, he’s a dem so he doesn’t get any, but he has a cute wife…

right2bright on September 5, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Yeah, so fair. How about that slavery thing back in the 19th century?

I am flabbergasted that the democratic party can openly undermine self-sovereignty. I shouldn’t be. But I am.

I can’t help but think back to Seatbelt laws. The justification of which was, “We’re paying for the medical care if they get hurt, they don’t have a right to make that decision.”

Ultimately, this is the logical progression.

I’m astounded.

WashingtonsWake on September 5, 2012 at 11:48 AM

You didn’t build that. “Everyone” did.

Good Lt on September 5, 2012 at 11:47 AM

No. “They” did. Their benevolence made it possible.

lorien1973 on September 5, 2012 at 11:49 AM

More proof public school education has failed us. Does it occur to any of these people why their ancestors left their country of origin in the first place?

goflyers on September 5, 2012 at 11:49 AM

No surprise here this was the FDR methodology from the get go, but with all societies you have the weak. Lucky for us, there are a lot of Strong, Independent People who will not sit back and watch the communist machine roll in and take over. Stand and Fight Back!!!!

Tbone McGraw on September 5, 2012 at 11:49 AM

No. “They” did. Their benevolence made it possible.

lorien1973 on September 5, 2012 at 11:49 AM

And they own you.

You belong to them.

Good Lt on September 5, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Red Cloud on September 5, 2012 at 11:50 AM

lorien1973 on September 5, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Yes, it is.

It exposes their world view quite nicely.

The Rogue Tomato on September 5, 2012 at 11:50 AM

watertown on September 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Chinese Politburo = 1st Class Citizens

Chinese People = Owned by the Politburo

Any non-Chinese Immigrant = mangy starving dog begging for scraps and being kicked.

PrettyD_Vicious on September 5, 2012 at 11:50 AM

DNC attendees: Yeah, it’s pretty awesome to belong to the government

“But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.”

– 1984, George Orwell