Dem convention, night two: Fake Indian, Bill Clinton, whole lotta abortion

posted at 6:22 pm on September 5, 2012 by Allahpundit

Here’s the hourly schedule, in case you’re among the tiny minority of readers who’d rather watch three hours of identity politics, class warfare, and union stoogery than the Giants/Cowboys season opener. BuzzFeed’s quite right that Democrats ran a two-track program last night, larding up the early evening hours with base-pleasing crap about “choice” and organized labor and reserving the 10 p.m. hour for pretend centrism. Same deal tonight, more or less. Between 6 p.m. ET and 10, you’ll see AFL-CIO don Richard Trumka; abortion warriors Cecile Richards, Sandra Fluke, and Diana DeGette; amnesty super-shill Rep. Luis Gutierrez, who once declared that his only loyalty is to “the immigrant community”; and Pelosi and Chuck Schumer, just to mainstream things a bit. Then at 10 comes Fauxcahontas, who’s not really a centrist but needs to pose as one to impress Massachusetts swing voters who broke for Scott Brown three years ago. And then comes The Big Dog, who’s going to try to keep a straight face while reassuring America that Obama’s agenda will be just as good for economic growth as his own was. Paul Ryan had some fun with that idea today. Expect more soon from the RNC ad team.

Speaking of Obama/Clinton conflicts, here’s something that just dropped at BuzzFeed courtesy of a Republican source. Barack Obama, 1994:

“First as I said I think values are dynamic. Part of the reason I don’t trust Dan Quayle talking about values and I often don’t trust Bill Clinton talking about values is they tend to have a static notion of values. Dan Quayle talks about values in terms of Ozzie and Harriet values.

…[A]nd my wife who is an attorney, she likes to watch old TV re-runs and so she watches the Dick Van Dyke Show and Ozzie and Harriet and things like that.

I’m always struck by values that are embodied in these television shows which I think are the values that people have in mind when they talk about return to American values. The wife is at home, she’s not working, Dad’s got his 9 to 5, there are no African-Americans in these family values. There’s no discussion of poverty in these values. There’s not much talk about a nuclear arms race that was taking place on the television programs. So the notion is that we can somehow return to that time and recapture those values without acknowledging all the things that were left out. Well, that’s not the case.”

In fairness to O, there are lots of reasons not to trust Bill Clinton when he talks about “values.” But if Democrats are okay with making him their point man at the “war on women” convention, I’m okay with it too.

While we wait for kickoff in New Jersey, enjoy a short trot down memory lane with Politico’s list of Clinton’s eight most “controversial” knocks on Obama. Inexplicably omitted: “A few years ago, this guy would have been carrying our bags,” a line that would have earned “breaking news” coverage on MSNBC as the mother of all dog-whistles had it come from a Republican. One other segment to watch for tonight involves three former employees at companies owned by Bain, who are set to speak just before the networks cut in at 10 p.m. for Warren and Clinton. Not sure why the Dems would waste them this evening instead of using them as a lead-in to Obama; could be there was no room left tomorrow night once Scarlett Johansson and Natalie Portman agreed to speak. The world’s biggest celebrity deserves nothing less than A-listers for his intro, my friends.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 12 13 14

libfreeordie on September 6, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Lib card revoked!

socalcon on September 6, 2012 at 12:14 AM

I think Beohner has his moments, actually. He’s not always up there or spot on…but he does have his pretty good moments.

Highlar on September 6, 2012 at 12:14 AM

brit hume pulled his punch on clinton when he said the finger wagging reminded people of when clinton said “I did not” and then hume stopped. WHY??? Is fox fair and unbalanced or what???

rik on September 6, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Jeez, Pelosi, Feinstein, and Boxer all in the same shot.

I can’t think of anything else to say…

ccrosby on September 6, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Whole lot of ugly about covers it.

msupertas on September 6, 2012 at 12:16 AM

So I’m outta here. What is the consensus? Good or bad?

sandee on September 5, 2012 at 11:45 PM

dunno. Guess its good you’re leaving.

socalcon on September 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Highlar on September 6, 2012 at 12:14 AM

I also like that old guy from out west…..Alan Simpson. He’s funny.

Night Owl on September 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM

rik on September 6, 2012 at 12:15 AM

I disagree… Because just STARTING the line makes everyone remember what followed AFTER the line…without having to go “full attack dog” on Clinton.

Highlar on September 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Highlar on September 6, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Beohner is good when no one is watching and that’s what you want.

rik on September 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM

You can easily see how pissed the Obamas were. Fox showed a shot of Michelle right after the end of Clinton’s speech…and yes…she looked pissed off. I laughed at that so hard. lol

Highlar on September 5, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Hee.. Remember this classic?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1yTY2MciOk I’ve always been sort of confused as to why Obama felt the need to help Paul Ryan out with his political career by giving him a national platform, but my main theory is that he really hates Ryan because of this performance. Also, I’m very sad that we will never have a Ryan-Obama debate :(. I think that we should propose an extra debate between them.

Illinidiva on September 6, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Highlar on September 6, 2012 at 12:14 AM

In between crocodile tears.

msupertas on September 6, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Since no one was watching this no problem The loved it so of course that complicates things except WE HAVE VIDEO!

sandee on September 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Beohner is good when no one is watching and that’s what you want.

rik on September 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM

True. The times I’ve seen him “most good” are times on CSPAN and such when they are showing House floor speeches which most people don’t pay much attention to. Beohner IS good there.

Highlar on September 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Sorry part was lost… It should have read” the media loved it”…

sandee on September 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Highlar on September 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM

So quoting someone verbatim is an an attack? UGH!! Can you even comprehend how stupid that is. Oh! Sorry I guess the word “IS” is off limit too.

rik on September 6, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I liked when someone said tonight on Fox (it was either Brit or Kraut…not just sure now) that Ryan can rebut every attack on Republican policies that Clinton made in just 10 minutes in the debate. Heh…that was a good one. :) And oh…SO true! Ryan is one smart cookie!

Highlar on September 6, 2012 at 12:22 AM

rik on September 6, 2012 at 12:22 AM

An attack? I wasn’t attacking you about anything. I was actually agreeing with your statement. I think Beohner does do some good and speak well on the floor of the House sometimes. Does he do nearly enough? No, not really. But that doesn’t mean he doesn’t do SOME good.

Highlar on September 6, 2012 at 12:24 AM

The meme that needs to get started about Billy Jeff.. Dude went on 20 minutes too long.

Illinidiva on September 6, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Highlar on September 6, 2012 at 12:22 AM

It was Dr. K. Why would you think Hume would say such a clear thought? What is this love for Hume?

rik on September 6, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I watched NONE of it.

But I just saw clips of Elizabeth Warren’s speech, and she looked awful.

She must think Massachusetts is full of nothing but filthy barefooted hippies wearing ponchos.

MSNBC’s Chris Hayes in in his chair waving his hands up and down about it. Like a bunny again. “Hopping” mad, she was so ineffective.

Marcus on September 6, 2012 at 12:27 AM

rik on September 6, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Its not really “love for Hume”. While I think he did a pretty pathetic job at the RNC panels, I don’t think Hume is as squishy as many seem to think. He made some pretty good points right after Clinton’s speech tonight, for example. I DO think Krauthammer really nailed it though. :) Really put Clinton and the entire DNC in its place these past 2 nights, Krauthammer has!

Highlar on September 6, 2012 at 12:29 AM

without having to go “full attack dog” on Clinton.

Highlar on September 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Highlar on September 6, 2012 at 12:24 AM

You do remember writing the above don’t you?? Nobody said you were attacking me. No one would care. But Hume did pull his punch on Clinton and there is some reason why. He can’t be that much of a prig.

rik on September 6, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Highlar on September 5, 2012 at 11:54 PM

In her defense, Michelle Obama looks ticked off 95% of the time. Give the woman a break!

conservative pilgrim on September 6, 2012 at 12:32 AM

rik on September 6, 2012 at 12:32 AM

I think he got his point across without having to fully say it, is what I meant. He didn’t have to say the full line for everyone to know exactly what he meant.

Highlar on September 6, 2012 at 12:35 AM

And sometimes, it makes people think about it even MORE when they finish the line themselves…without it having to be thrown in their faces. Maybe you are right, and Hume didn’t mean it that way…but in a psychological way it works.

Highlar on September 6, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Serious for a minute… Did anyone notice Clinton’s hand tremors? Am I looking at a person with early onset of Parkinsons? He did not look so good on stage.

Lunker on September 5, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Too much Red Bull or too little cocaine.

profitsbeard on September 6, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Too much Red Bull or too little cocaine.

profitsbeard on September 6, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Or too many lies…

sandee on September 6, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Highlar on September 6, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I give up. You win. So media who are on the right have to have decorum
while the other side savages our guys. That’s a winner if I ever heard of one!! Until you recognize your in a war you will lose said war WC 1939

rik on September 6, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Highlar on September 6, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Please! Enough already.

rik on September 6, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Did anyone else notice Clinton’s hands were trembling throughout his entire speech?

Hendo on September 6, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Hendo on September 6, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Yes and yes…

sandee on September 6, 2012 at 12:48 AM

If you get the point across and people remember it, do you have to be savage about it? I DO think our side needs to be more vocal, but they don’t have to get vulgar like those on the left do. Our surrogates need to make more points…like how the economic crash was NOT from supply side economics ideas…but from the huge housing bubble created BY Democrats bursting wide open. And how it was Democrats who prevented Bush and Republicans in Congress from looking deeper into Feddy/Franny before the bubble burst and in time to possibly fix it. They need to push back more on Obamacare/Mecdicare, they need to lean heavily on Obama for his and his DNC platforms extreme views on abortion (the majority of the nation is still pro-life). They need to hit on the hypocrisy of the left now ABOUT said platform, how last week they spent the whole time trying to ram a tie between Aiken and Romney/Ryan…and Romney to the RNC platform (on of all things abortion)…but this week say “oh…no…the platform is really just a distraction and not something we should pay any attention to”. There’s a LOT our surrogates need to get on. We need more Suununus! But we don’t have to be despicable about it in the way idiots like Maddow and Mathews are.

Highlar on September 6, 2012 at 12:50 AM

So, I didn’t see any of the convention tonight (I was going to say I missed it, but I didn’t really)…

Did Big Bill speak too long at yet another DNC?

JohnGalt23 on September 6, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Ugh…tired…darn typos. Freddy/Fanny obviously meant. lol

Highlar on September 6, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Did Big Bill speak too long at yet another DNC?

JohnGalt23 on September 6, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Heh…he gave his longest speech yet. It was 50 minutes that droned on and on and on…and kept Dear Leader sitting and steaming behind the stage waiting to come out for the “victory hug” after the speech was over. lol

Highlar on September 6, 2012 at 12:53 AM

And then Clinton and Obama bowed to each other…

JenWestin on September 6, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Monica Lewinsky’s Rabbi David Wolpe just gave a very nice benediction including a prayer for “the bewildered and the lost.”

He also mentioned the Capital City of Jerusalem and that people on the right and the left worship the same G0D.

It was a very appropriate Benediction for the few Delegates who stayed until the end.

Good night all!

wren on September 6, 2012 at 1:12 AM

The convention begins again at 4:00 pm Eastern Time tomorrow (Thursday).

wren on September 6, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Clinton Fact Checking InComing!!!!!
====================================

AP Fact Check: Bill Clinton claims of compromise a stretch
9:50 PM, Sep 5, 2012
********************

WASHINGTON (AP) — It’s a fact of life in Washington that what one party considers a principled stand, the opposition considers pigheadedness. Compromise? That’s the other guy’s problem.

But when former President Bill Clinton took the stage at the Democratic National Convention on Wednesday, he portrayed President Barack Obama as a pragmatic compromiser who has been stymied at every turn by Republicans. There was no mention of the role that the president and the Democrats have played in grinding compromise to a halt on some of the most important issues facing the country.

That was among the lines by the former president and others Wednesday that either cherry-picked facts or mischaracterized the opposition.

A look at some of them:
=======================

CLINTON:
********

“When times are tough, constant conflict may be good politics but in the real world, cooperation works better. …Unfortunately, the faction that now dominates the Republican Party doesn’t see it that way. They think government is the enemy and compromise is weakness. One of the main reasons America should re-elect President Obama is that he is still committed to cooperation.”

THE FACTS:
**********

From Clinton’s speech, voters would have no idea that the inflexibility of both parties is to blame for much of the gridlock. Right from the beginning Obama brought in as his first chief of staff Rahm Emmanuel,

a man known for his getting his way, not for getting along.
***********************************************************

One of the more high-profile examples of a deal that fell apart was the outline of a proposed “grand bargain” budget agreement between Obama and House Speaker John Boehner in 2011.

The deal would have required compromise from both sides. It slashed domestic spending more than most Democrats wanted and would have raised some taxes, which most Republicans oppose.

Boehner couldn’t sell the plan to tea party factions in the House or to other conservative activists. And Obama found himself accused of going too far by some Democratic leaders. The deal died before it ever even came up for a vote.

Page#1 of 3

canopfor on September 6, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Good night all!

wren on September 6, 2012 at 1:12 AM

wren:Sweet Dreams Wren:)

canopfor on September 6, 2012 at 1:19 AM

TOLERANCE
2008: ZERO EXPERIENCE – ZERO ACOMPLISHMENT
2012: ZERO ACCOUNTABILITY – ZERO CONSEQUENCES
Join the Proud, Progressive, Democrat Party as we celebrate & embrace ‘ZERO’ Tolerance.
“True Terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.” –Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

organczar on September 6, 2012 at 1:55 AM

I love how all of the libs are droning on about how Clinton’s speech sealed the deal for dear leaders reelection. Quite honestly I think the vast majority of people were watching football instead of listing to BJ’s speech.

tom2789 on September 6, 2012 at 2:10 AM

President Obama is so much better at destroying evil.

If he were around and POTUS when Bill had his shot, Osama would have been left in the ether.

As yet another proof of his dragon slaying abilities, he knocked Hillary off in the primaries.

And Bill is still married to her.

Hendo on September 6, 2012 at 12:46 AM

If you knew the snake oil President Clinton was selling as well as he does, your whole body would shake so bad you would chip teeth and hurt your back.

IlikedAUH2O on September 6, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Dr. K is an empty vessel who’s bitter and jealous of Clinton and …mittens is looking more and more like a big fat ZERO!

Pragmatic on September 6, 2012 at 3:12 AM

I don’t know guys. President Clinton spins a good tale and for those watching I was actually sucked back to 1992 when (as a college student) I voted for him. I tried hard to tune the volume down way low and just watch body language but then Obamabie came out, they hugged and it was transference – like a vote for Obama is a vote for Clinton.

{{{shuddering}}}

I think it worked and re-energized the base as it took on all the economic issues. Now I know that speech was written FOR clinton and he dare not go off into the weeds so his best shot was to go LONG and get glory for himself (which made MO give her Klingon warrior woman stare).

But what worries me now? An article by politico that Romney has gone dark during the DNC convention. I haven’t seen an ad in the middle of the convention for Romney to break it up. So my question becomes now (after reading that politco article) does Romney want to win? Seems he’s getting tired and taking time to talk to one shop owner but not to crowds. I’m worried. As one of the RNC people put it: Romney has to go full out to November 2. He can have all the weekends after that to relax. I sincerely hope this isn’t a religious thing and he’s able to do weekend get out the vote things. The other item in the Politico story said that Romney keeps doing fundraisers. Is he betting on 15 second commercials vs. his personal touch? Paul Ryan and Ann Romney have been stepping up the pace to match O’s appearance rates. Is this just recharging his batteries before the debates in 3 weeks or is something else going on?

President Obama’s acceptance speech tomorrow will have pre-seen labor statistics. They will either cook the books for him or it will show some negative movement and he’ll swivel to counter the bad news in the speech.

athenadelphi on September 6, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Regarding Clinton and his supposed great speech:

Did his speeches and support help Gore, Kerry and/or Hillary win?

People may like the guy, but no undecided person trusts him imo. Not to mention, “Trust me, Nobody Could’ve Achieved Obama’s Promises” doesn’t really sound like a winning message to me.

jaygatz33 on September 6, 2012 at 3:31 AM

This wasn’t a good speech.. He went on for 30 minutes too long.

Illinidiva on September 6, 2012 at 5:50 AM

Well, I’ll say this about BJ’s speech:

1. It motivated the base, as BJ is good at doing.

2. Factually, it was a big fairy tale.

3. But most significantly, it gives a window into BJ’s view of his party’s weakest points. Through this window you can see a checklist of campaign vulnerabilities. You can go through his speech, point-by-point, and list the points that he feels need shoring up and the points where he thinks they are open to attack.

petefrt on September 6, 2012 at 7:19 AM

AP Fact Check: Bill Clinton claims of compromise a stretch
9:50 PM, Sep 5, 2012

canopfor on September 6, 2012 at 1:18 AM

A stretch? More like, in BJ’s own words, “a big fairy tale.” But it’s interesting to see some of the MSM are acknowledging it.

petefrt on September 6, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Pragmatic on September 6, 2012 at 3:12 AM

You are an imbecile, but then what’s new..,

jimver on September 6, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Dick Morris aptly sums it up…

Bill Clinton: A good lawyer defending a guilty client

petefrt on September 6, 2012 at 7:40 AM

So, thst Jewish knucklehead, Portman is still on, despite seeing her fellow party people booing the Jerusalem inclusion on the DNC platform…..funny that, since she was born in Israel and pretty sure she lived there for a while before her parents moved to the US…what an utter idiot…

jimver on September 6, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Elizabeth Warren looks and sounds like the character Marcy from “Married with Children.”

Can’t see non-liberal men voting for this snooty fake.

bluegill on September 6, 2012 at 8:27 AM

jimver on September 6, 2012 at 7:40 AM

The overrated idiot actor Natalie Portman never did sound very intelligent in interviews. She’s doing what she thinks will make her seem cool.

bluegill on September 6, 2012 at 8:29 AM

bluegill on September 6, 2012 at 8:27 AM

I can hear MA voters laughing from my back porch.

petefrt on September 6, 2012 at 8:41 AM

“Abortion is advocated only by persons who have themselves been born.” – — Ronald Reagan

Wade on September 6, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Don’t for get Debbie Blabbermouth, she has 401K funds in the Caymans.

Fleuries on September 6, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Election will send fake indian back to her fake reservation on November 6th. We don’t want her in the U.S. Senate – ever.

Amazingoly on September 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM