Finally: The White House beer recipe, revealed

posted at 6:31 pm on September 2, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Le sigh — ’cause it’s just what we’ve all been waiting for, I’m sure. I really hate being a stickler about letting administrations and presidents have a little bit of fun — in fact, I think that they probably should do a few lighthearted cultural things, even if they are at taxpayers’ expense. Beer is a major player in America’s culinary canon, and I don’t resent the president having an affinity for it at all (quite the opposite even, wink wink). But I’m really exerting a lot of effort not to roll my eyes at this one, because it’s just so… representative of everything we’ve gotten out of the White House lately. We’re up to our eyeballs in shallow, populist gambits meant to make President Obama look cool, hip, and sympathetic, but we seem to be lacking any truly serious suggestions in the manner of — oh, I don’t know — maybe a recipe for an economic recovery? Because, news flash: Hiking taxes, blaming your predecessor, and getting Mitt Romney to reveal his tax returns aren’t really viable ingredients.

But hey, even if President Obama goes down in history as the most economically inept leader of the free world to date, at least he will have ushered in a new era of White House microbrewing. It’s what the people want to know about, apparently. For any home-brewers out there, but sure to report back.

With public excitement about White House beer fermenting such a buzz, we decided we better hop right to it.

Inspired by home brewers from across the country, last year President Obama bought a home brewing kit for the kitchen. After the few first drafts we landed on some great recipes that came from a local brew shop. We received some tips from a couple of home brewers who work in the White House who helped us amend it and make it our own. To be honest, we were surprised that the beer turned out so well since none of us had brewed beer before.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Bishop! (hic)

PolAgnostic on September 2, 2012 at 6:34 PM

NOW… let’s talk about HEALTH. Since Michelle has seen fit to criticize all things fattening…. how about… beer? Apparently, this little potent potable gets an exclusion from the caloric which hunt.

thatsafactjack on September 2, 2012 at 6:35 PM

IT’S A TRAP!

PolAgnostic on September 2, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Beer -> Home brewing -> Toilet wine -> Prison -> Racism?

Gingotts on September 2, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Sorry….I guess in this case that would be WITCH.

thatsafactjack on September 2, 2012 at 6:35 PM

The “1 lb White House honey” – you’ll have to order it from them and it has their Kool Aid mixed in!

PolAgnostic on September 2, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Is this what the Cambridge police were served at the WH Gates beer summit?

pianomomma on September 2, 2012 at 6:38 PM

ESPN, golf, date nights, Wednesday night parties and now home brewing…., it’s no wonder this guy hasn’t accomplished a damned thing.

Rio Linda Refugee on September 2, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Piss, vinegar, tears, stray hair plugs and arugula.

profitsbeard on September 2, 2012 at 6:39 PM

and the fact that they think they need their own beehive boggles the mind.

Rio Linda Refugee on September 2, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Since this is really a story about the obamamedia, and their desire for something — anything! — that will make their boyfriend seem “cool” again, this is a must-read. It perfectly outlines the media malfeasance thus far in this campaign, but suggests that their “reckoning” is coming.

Rational Thought on September 2, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Piss, vinegar, tears, stray hair plugs and arugula.

profitsbeard on September 2, 2012 at 6:39 PM

This Nancy-boy possesses neither of these attributes.

Rio Linda Refugee on September 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Well, at least he wasn’t golfing while this was being down, right?

…Right?

BlaxPac on September 2, 2012 at 6:43 PM

BlaxPac on September 2, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Down=Done

Musta been the brew.

BlaxPac on September 2, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Figures he’d have someone brew up something with virtually no grain. Wonder if Michelle stirred it up with her broomstick.

thatsafactjack on September 2, 2012 at 6:44 PM

White House Honey
or
as Billy used to call it —
Monica

burrata on September 2, 2012 at 6:44 PM

a better way to spend time is to read this piece…no, it is not a fun little story of barry’s best beer…but a rather sadder story of a delusional media trying to prop up their hope and dreams prezy

r keller on September 2, 2012 at 6:45 PM

He didn’t brew that :O

burrata on September 2, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I thought the Windsor dry yeast had been sent back to England.

Gingotts on September 2, 2012 at 6:47 PM

So this is what he has been doing when he isn’t golfing or campaigning?? No wonder he hasn’t been able to meet with his jobs commission.

KenInIL on September 2, 2012 at 6:48 PM

No wonder he hasn’t been able to meet with his jobs commission.

KenInIL on September 2, 2012 at 6:48 PM

or his cabinet

Rio Linda Refugee on September 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Great. We went from Jimmah and Billy Beer to Barrack and “Crazy Uncle Joe” Beer.

Slogan? :”Bring it out on special Occasions…just like a Vice President.”

BlaxPac on September 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM

In this age of healthy eating and drinking is it not past time to do away with this?

CW on September 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM

“1 pkg Windsor Dry Ale Yeast”

Windsor?????!!! OFFSHORING / OUTSOURCING JOBS!!!

So much for buying American….weep!

Varchild on September 2, 2012 at 6:50 PM

A guy would be pretty weird if he didn’t appreciate a good beer at the end of the day…ahem.

RBMN on September 2, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Erika, I love the work you’ve done here a HA, but please drop the reddiculous “le” business. I know the temptation is fierce, but its pretty much awful and has no redeeming value.

As noted, love your work, that notwithstanding.

King B on September 2, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Why is the Obama team going after the bearded-home-brewing-hipster demographic? Ron Paul has got that locked up.

ModerateMan on September 2, 2012 at 6:52 PM

I guess I’m ahead of the news.

From my November 2010 animated video….

Bill Clinton: “I’m a lovable little scoundrel. Barack is a condescending twerp who drinks your last Bud Light and then lectures you on local micro-breweries.”

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on September 2, 2012 at 6:52 PM

For regular beer summits: “This beer was brewed stupidly” *hic* (sic)

Paul-Cincy on September 2, 2012 at 6:53 PM

It’s Le Weekend, therefore, the use of Le le is entirely appropriate.

Blake on September 2, 2012 at 6:53 PM

thatsafactjack on September 2, 2012 at 6:44 PM

LMAO

Now just picture her, Hillary and Pelosi all standing around a cauldron while this is playing in the background…

/too much WH beer..

BlaxPac on September 2, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Home brew is not taxed -

Pay your fair share of taxes!!

Wander on September 2, 2012 at 6:57 PM

and the fact that they think they need their own beehive boggles the mind.

Rio Linda Refugee on September 2, 2012 at 6:40 PM

My thoughts exactly. Is this payed for by us, his employers?

hopeful on September 2, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Kent Goldings Hop Pellets

Fuggles Hop Pellets

“We do not need an outsourcing pioneer in the Oval Office. We need a president who is going to fight for American jobs.”

- President Barack H. Obama, June 2012

Well done, Mr. President.

rogerb on September 2, 2012 at 6:59 PM

First thing I thought was “I bet he used priming sugar”.

Amateur.

Bruce MacMahon on September 2, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Is it just me or is Obama’s glass bigger?

JellyToast on September 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Speaking of Democrat Booze(ing)!

Conan Nolan ‏@conanNBCLA

CDP not releasing names of intoxicated delegates. One booted from DNC other “treated and released” from hosp after passing out.
_____________________________________________________________

Conan Nolan ‏@conanNBCLA

Two DNC Calif Delegates arrive drunk to hotel…one passes out, other fights with hotel staff,.police called. Combative delegate sent home.

canopfor on September 2, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Well, is it me, or is this more a recipe for Mead than a “traditional” beer?

Never did learn how to brew beer, more of a advanced beer drinker (lol) so anyone that’s really into the craft can they put in their 2 nickles on the subject?

BlaxPac on September 2, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Agreed, this is a amateur recipe. Bleah.

Mini-14 on September 2, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Good. Stick to what you might actually be good at and leave the rest of us alone.

Cleombrotus on September 2, 2012 at 7:06 PM

After 7 mugs, Moochelle looks hawt.

hillsoftx on September 2, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Is it just me or is Obama’s glass bigger?

JellyToast on September 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM

…It would explain the last 4 years.

OTOH, since we’re the ones that will be financing this shipwreck for the next 25 years while he enjoys taxpayer funded luxury AND Chicago style “financing” through the speaking circuit on top of that…

..I say WE need a big damn glass to drink from ourselves.

BlaxPac on September 2, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Good. Stick to what you might actually be good at of some use and leave the rest of us alone presidentin’ to the adults.

Cleombrotus on September 2, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Fixed

Cleombrotus on September 2, 2012 at 7:12 PM

After 7 mugs, Moochelle looks hawt.

hillsoftx on September 2, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Too funny.

Cleombrotus on September 2, 2012 at 7:13 PM

As noted, love your work, that notwithstanding.
King B on September 2, 2012 at 6:50 PM

You are officially too old. The younger crowd gets it.

Now tell them to get off your lawn.

Irritable Pundit on September 2, 2012 at 7:18 PM

BlaxPac on September 2, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Love the Shakespearean reference, BlaxPac! Nice choice of theme music, too! :)

thatsafactjack on September 2, 2012 at 7:19 PM

After 7 mugs, Moochelle looks hawt.

hillsoftx on September 2, 2012 at 7:09 PM

She looks whatever the heck Valerie tells Hussein MoochXL looks like

burrata on September 2, 2012 at 7:20 PM

You want a good brew? Give this place a try if you’re ever in the neighborhood. Great beer and decent pub fare.

Oldnuke on September 2, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I didn’t know the White House had its own bees. I knew with Michelle there it had a queen bee.

radjah shelduck on September 2, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I didn’t know the White House had its own bees. I knew with Michelle there it had a queen beeyotch.

radjah shelduck on September 2, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I finished that one for you

Rio Linda Refugee on September 2, 2012 at 7:27 PM

[A]t least he will have ushered in a new era of White House microbrewing.

The new era of White House microbrewing ends next inauguration day. Mormons don’t drink.

86 on September 2, 2012 at 7:27 PM

So they can’t even throw the liqour or cornerstore owner a few bucks for a six pack.

Can these people spend their own money on anything?

catmman on September 2, 2012 at 7:34 PM

After 7 mugs, Moochelle looks hawt.

hillsoftx on September 2, 2012 at 7:09 PM

…along with a before AND after…doobie!

KOOLAID2 on September 2, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I thought the exact quote of what BJ said to Teddy Kennedy was :

“A few years ago, this guy would have been getting us coffee hookers.”

bayview on September 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Hey..uh..maybe someone could tell me if I’m wrong here.

I don’t see any grains in the beer recipe, and aren’t muslims prevented by Koranic verses from drinking alcohol made with grains only, but they can drink other alcohols?

Just something to point out, maybe I’m wrong here, I thought I would get a conversation started.

Bishop on September 2, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Hey..uh..maybe someone could tell me if I’m wrong here.

Bishop on September 2, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Sorry Bishop, you are wrong about the lack of grain in that receipt, the various malts in it refer to Barley that has been germinated and roasted.

SWalker on September 2, 2012 at 7:48 PM

IT’S A TRAP!

PolAgnostic on September 2, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Hmmmm… the timely White House Kool-Aid recipe 2 mos. before the election.

redridinghood on September 2, 2012 at 7:49 PM

SWalker on September 2, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Can the malt come from something else? I don’t brew, I only drink, so yeah I don’t know.

Bishop on September 2, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Bishop on September 2, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Not and still be beer.

SWalker on September 2, 2012 at 7:53 PM

He didn’t brew that :O

burrata on September 2, 2012 at 6:47 PM

thread winner, right there.

CatchAll on September 2, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Nothing wrong with a lil’ brewhaha.

Have fun with it.

ted c on September 2, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Not and still be beer.

SWalker on September 2, 2012 at 7:53 PM

But could it appear to be “beer”? Whatever, TFGRP is still a jackalope.

Bishop on September 2, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Not and still be beer.

SWalker on September 2, 2012 at 7:53 PM

But could it appear to be “beer”? Whatever, TFGRP is still a jackalope.

Bishop on September 2, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Without the malted barley, that receipt would produce mead. To tell you the truth, I would be stunned if Obama brewed beer that didn’t end up with a terminal yeast infection.

SWalker on September 2, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Remember, Colt 45 malt liquor jokes are racist.

The Rogue Tomato on September 2, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Ale to the chief.

Nice…

JetBoy on September 2, 2012 at 8:27 PM

How can he make beer without causing untold damage to those industrious brewers who work around the clock trying to sate the thirst of America? Why, if everyone made beer like our Chief Executive, the entire brewery industry would cease to exist.

By making beer, the President works against the concept of shovel-ready jobs, for all those holding jobs shovelling hops into fermenters will be clogging the freeway onramps with signs saying “I’m only here because the President brewed beer.”

It’s shameless what he’s doing. Absolutely shameless.

But, what one man has done, another can do better. If someone walks up to you and offers a sudsy one, would you prefer him to say “Here, have a Barack” or “Here, have a Mitt”?

For those who would prefer the Barack, I have one thing to say to you:

Are you feeling lucky today? Are you?

unclesmrgol on September 2, 2012 at 8:35 PM

BS!!!! no one has a decent brew their first batch. its usually dreck that even the brewer cant choke down. the press should ask some questions about how much time is spent brewing instead of governing. its a very time intensive hobby, moreso when start experimenting to come up w/ your own distinctive beer.

chasdal on September 2, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Barack and Michelle.

Quaff and Coif.

profitsbeard on September 2, 2012 at 8:48 PM

BS!!!! no one has a decent brew their first batch.

chasdal on September 2, 2012 at 8:36 PM

It doesn’t say it was the first batch. It sounds like it was many batches later (“after the first few drafts”); the article indicates that the recipe underwent several adjustments.

I wish I had time to brew beer. Unfortunately, I’m spending a lot of extra work time to make up for my stagnant salary in an era of inflated prices.

unclesmrgol on September 2, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Erika, your writing is a joy.

For some reason, your “Le sigh” never fails to crack me up.

petefrt on September 2, 2012 at 8:57 PM

r keller on September 2, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I love reading Clarice Feldman over at AT, but this one in particular is a must read.

redridinghood on September 2, 2012 at 9:08 PM

What I want to know is how much this cost taxpayers and my guess is more than $10 a beer. How about someone file a FOIA request and find out?

JeffinSac on September 2, 2012 at 9:17 PM

If it’s anything like Obama, it’s Near Beer.

AubieJon on September 2, 2012 at 9:39 PM

So The Muslim Celebrity-in Chief has a brewery in the White House! Wonder if he has a meth lab and a little pot patch hidden in the garden! This would explain some of the Bizzaro behavior the past four years! Romney will have no use for this when he moves in!

Marco on September 2, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Oh, Good Lord. All this hubbub over home brew? The recipes are kinda bland, nothing to write home about. This is what a month was spent on? I was making batches of this stuff 10 years ago.

And to the argument that a decent batch isn’t possible on the first go-round, I say thhppt! My first batch was a fantastic American Nut Brown Ale that was easy and tasty.

The real trick to brewing beer (other than following the recipe) is to keep everything clean. Each bucket and utensil must be sterile or funny things will begin to grow. They won’t kill you, but you will not enjoy the taste of your beer.

john1schn on September 2, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Like his Presidency, novice.

Speakup on September 2, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Michelle’s Bitter Ale

dont taze me bro on September 2, 2012 at 10:30 PM

As someone who has home brewed beer for over 20 years, obongos recipe is extract based, ie instant beer.

Beer is made from steeping malted barley to extract the sugars. He resulting sugar water is boiled with hops added at various times. The wort is then chilled, yeast added, and fermented before kegging or bottling.

Not only is the recipe lacking, I’d bet Obama only watches while drinking a commercial brew.

Robert Jensen on September 2, 2012 at 10:52 PM

If the W.H. had released it’s super secret beer & ale recipes just for the fun of it, we could unite in enjoying the moment. But noooooooooooh, they insisted on gazillions of petitions filled with data-mined signatures which they’ll use to spam potential voters before they’d release the recipes. These people are the worst sort of grifters. And that beer? It tastes like Kool Aid.

Buy Danish on September 2, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I rarely drink beer. But when I do, it’s either Beck’s or a Sam Adams brew.

What’s next from Obama–Victory Gin?

Liam on September 2, 2012 at 11:20 PM

What breed of dog does this beer best complement?

Jorge Bonilla on September 2, 2012 at 11:29 PM

..this is so-o-o-o-o-o-o-o pathetic. I mean, that this hits the media when we’re in the state we’re in just reeks of the mirror-fogging, mouth-breathing circle-jerking MSM, POTUS, and low-info American Idol public.

The War Planner on September 3, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Erika, your writing is a joy.

For some reason, your “Le sigh” never fails to crack me up.

petefrt on September 2, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Agreed. Reminds me fondly of Loony Toons of yore.

stvnscott on September 3, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Mmmmmm…gypsum!
I love the nice, crisp, chalky bite gypsum adds to beer.

OxyCon on September 3, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Maybe he should bring this to Hops and Props next year? After all, he will be unemployed.

Hammie on September 3, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Even that Obama did not create. He did supply some parts and authorized their use; but, the creative inspiration for those two libations come completely from the White House kitchen staff members who gave of their free time to create them.

{^_^}

herself on September 3, 2012 at 2:04 AM

It’s hardly more than kit beer.

Give me all-grain, or give me death.

southsideironworks on September 3, 2012 at 4:08 AM

The War Planner on September 3, 2012 at 12:23 AM

And you may thank Erika “Le Sigh” Johnsen for wasting time on it as well..

DevilsPrinciple on September 3, 2012 at 4:48 AM

no thanks. i’ll stick to the Champale- because it makes my mouth feel like it’s having a party.

or “The End of History” wrapped in a dead squirrel, 765$ a bottle and 55 % alcohol. the perfect beverage for the reign of king barry.

“this is to beer what democracy is to history.”

mittens on September 3, 2012 at 5:53 AM

They’ve made Obama’s glass of beer larger than the other guys. Look at the hands of each of them and compare them to their glasses. Obama’s glass is larger than the other guy’s glass.

They can’t get away from his narcissism even with this.

JellyToast on September 3, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Didn’t read the story….are horses involved?

BobMbx on September 3, 2012 at 8:52 AM

His glass has to be larger to accommodate the Presidential Seal, people. Does this come in a lite, Barry?

Kissmygrits on September 3, 2012 at 9:23 AM

ANOTHER secret exposed.

NotEasilyFooled on September 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Didn’t read the story….are horses involved?

Only the rear-ends.

NotEasilyFooled on September 3, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Erika, you are completely missing the fact that what the WH is doing is illegal. They are brewing beer without a license. If anyone else were to do this, they would get fined and arrested by the ATF.

Yes, you can brew yourself for PERSONAL consumption. What the Obama WH is doing is brewing for everyone in the white house, which essentially is an illegal brewery.

Are they paying state and local excise taxes on the beer? Did their brewing process get inspected by the DC health department?

Ironic that they are the do as we say, but not as we do. Breaking the law and bragging about it.

nazo311 on September 3, 2012 at 10:35 AM

What a bunch of worthless reprobates.

A beer receipe from the White House along with all those veggies from out back…while they drink Cristal! Sheesh!

Does this mean I can fire up the old moonshine “White Lightning” receipe?

We are truly going back to the Depression in the 1930′s.

Don’t try to do this in your own house…the place stinks like a brewery, along with the wine and moonshine that is fermenting in the basement, where the still was hidden. Did all this stuff in Libya and Saudi for something to do.

Typicalwhitewoman on September 3, 2012 at 10:44 AM

The White House wants to remind us about the Beer Summit? And police officers acting stupidly? He didn’t give the policeman from Cambridge any home brew.

Fleuries on September 3, 2012 at 10:58 AM

P.S. I hope President Romney rolls up his sleeves and starts fixing the money on day one. He will not be bored and have to make beer or go golfing.

Fleuries on September 3, 2012 at 11:00 AM